fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP Laserjet 4 Plus- Error 13-False Paper Jam

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP Laserjet 4 Plus- Error 13-False Paper Jam by jhuk (7/16/06 6:36 PM) reply + / -
Hello,

When my Laserjet 4 Plus prints, when the paper is half way out of the printer exit, the machine stops and displays error 13 printer jam. About 3-5 seconds later, the paper exits the printer on its own. Since Windows XP thinks the page never printed, it tries to print again. The paper is not jammed at all. The print looks good and the paper is not creased or folded. Could someone let me know what I could try next to fix this issue?

I purchased the exit roller assembly rebuild kit and installed it. It did not fix the issue.

All my best,

Joe

Re: HP Laserjet 4 Plus- Error 13-False Paper Jam by moe (7/16/06 11:08 PM) reply + / -
I've seen that happen before. It could be a couple of things. Easiest is to try feeding out of the manual feed. If it feeds ok from the manual feed, then you'll need to replace the PIU. That's the whole pickup assembly. If not, come back and we'll try something else.

Re: HP Laserjet 4 Plus- Error 13-False Paper Jam by jhuk (7/18/06 6:11 PM) reply + / -
Hello Moe,

Thanks for the quick response. I had a chance to try a manual feed via the MP paper tray. The printer exhibits the same exact symptom. It prints, and as the paper exits, it stops, the display says error 13, paper jam. Then 3-5 seconds later, the paper exits completely. The printer would of course, like to print again since it did not complete a "good print sequence"(one without an error).

In my previous note I mentioned that I replaced the exit roller assembly. Just to clarify incase my terminology is incorrect, I used the "accordion jam kit". On your video I believe it used the phrase "rebuilding the exit assembly". I just wanted to make sure you knew what procedure I already performed.

Based on your note above, what else could I test to find root cause?

Thanks again,

Joe

Re: HP Laserjet 4 Plus- Error 13-False Paper Jam by jhuk (7/18/06 6:12 PM) reply + / -
Hello Moe,

Thanks for the quick response. I had a chance to try a manual feed via the MP paper tray. The printer exhibits the same exact symptom. It prints, and as the paper exits, it stops, the display says error 13, paper jam. Then 3-5 seconds later, the paper exits completely. The printer would of course, like to print again since it did not complete a "good print sequence"(one without an error).

In my previous note I mentioned that I replaced the exit roller assembly. Just to clarify incase my terminology is incorrect, I used the "accordion jam kit". On your video I believe it used the phrase "rebuilding the exit assembly". I just wanted to make sure you knew what procedure I already performed.

Based on your note above, what else could I test to find root cause?

Thanks again,

Joe

Re: HP Laserjet 4 Plus- Error 13-False Paper Jam by dmzcompute (7/18/06 6:39 PM) reply + / -
2 things to check. First would be the sensor and flag on the fuser. If it is activated, but does not send a signal that it has and the printer will stop thinking there is a jam. The second and the one I lean towards is the registration sensor on the left side below the toner in the cutout on the metal plate. What may be happening is that sensor flag may be sticking in the down position and when the paper passes does not immediately rise and the printer things again it has a jam and stops the paper path. It could also be the sensor itself which is on a board with another sensor attached to the PIU unit.

Re: HP Laserjet 4 Plus- Error 13-False Paper Jam by moe (7/18/06 10:07 PM) reply + / -
The fuser exit sensor is actually not on the fuser but on top of the printer through a linkage. It is shown in the second and third photos. http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/guides/sensors/ex
I have seen the flag stick in the sensor and give the exact problem you are having. This confuses the electronics as to when the paper actually has left the fuser. The stuck flag will signal a paper jam and then when the linkage unsticks it unblocks the sensor and lets the paper go through. So take the top cover off. You should know how to do so from the video. Then actuate the linkage up there manually with your finger and see if it is sticking. I'm pretty sure it is. Then lubricate it with a light oil, preferably silicon or teflon lube. Don't get any on the inside of the optical sensor itself. That is the 2 vertical black plastic posts that the flag moves in and out of.

Re: HP Laserjet 4 Plus- Error 13-False Paper Jam by jhuk (7/21/06 11:56 AM) reply + / -
Hello Moe and Dmzcompute,

I just had some time to try the things you suggested. I wanted to update you on how I was doing. By the way, I did rebuild the exit assembly, which is the kit by the same name. The single gear, which is in the accordion jam kit, looks good. I always get these 2 kits confused.

Moe/DMZ, I did check the fuser sensor at the top of the exit assembly. Initially, it seemed to be free, when I had the fuser assembly out during the examination. However, with the fuser assembly in place and screwed down, I noticed that the flag sensor would not move freely. I used some light weight lubricant and now it seems to work consistently. I am going to keep the printer on the work bench for one more evening, to put it under more tests before I put it into operation. In conclusion, everything looks good at this point.

Best regards and many thanks,

Joe

Re: HP Laserjet 4 Plus- Error 13-False Paper Jam by jhuk (7/22/06 7:55 AM) reply + / -
Hello Moe and DMZ,

Unfortunately, the printer is still exhibiting the same symptom. It is intermittent. Sometimes it will print fine. Other times, as the paper exits, it will stop with half the paper in the exit assembly and half out of the printer. The sensor at exit is moving freely. How expensive are the sensors? Would it be worth while replacing them? Is there anything else you can think of that would help in pin pointing the problem.

Thanks,

Joe

Re: HP Laserjet 4 Plus- Error 13-False Paper Jam by moe (7/22/06 8:25 PM) reply + / -
Sensors never, ever go bad. If they did, they'd either work or not work. They wouldn't be intermittent. The only possibilities are that somewhere in the linkage between the fuser and that exit sensor, something is amiss. It's possible you could have broken the peg that the sensor pivots on in the fuser. That is visible in the first photo at the link I gave you.

Re: HP Laserjet 4 Plus- Error 13-False Paper Jam by jhuk (7/25/06 9:47 AM) reply + / -
Hello Moe,

I appreciate your input. I respect your position on the sensors, but I always keep an open mind when repairing electronic equipment. I re-examined the exit sensor and could not find any crack or miss positioning of the flag(s). What I see is 2 plastic pieces rotating about the assembly’s shaft. One of the pieces has a flag(moves with closing of back door) and the other is a piece that rotates with the motion of the fuser's arm/flag. Both at certain times can block or unblock the sensor. I noticed that the one flag moves freely and changes position with how the printer is positioned or oriented. If I rotate the printer forward then I can replicate the error 13. So, as an experiment, I propped the printer back with 1/2" shims to see if I could prevent the issue from occurring. So far the machine is printing without an error 13. I am going to continue the experiment to confirm that position has an effect. If so, it sounds like the one arm, that moves freely is out of position or is still sticking (fooling me) in a position to create the error 13.

Best regards,

Joe

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters