fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by jasonjkane (7/12/06 12:53 PM) reply+1 + / -
Lately, my Epson R320 Photo Printer will not print black ink. I have tried multiple ink cartridges. They sometimes work for a page or two and then don't work at all. When I print a nozzle check there is no black ink at all, but the colors work fine. Needless to say, I print black the most and can't print and regular text documents. Can anyone identify the problem or offer a solution. I have run a clean print heads-run nozzle check cycles multiple times in a row to no avail. Thanks!

Jason

Re: Epson Won't Print Black Ink by JASM (7/12/06 7:02 PM) reply + / -
I have a similar problem with my Epson C80. I was printing out my income tax return, in black ink, with no skips or problems with the output when the printing program stopped because I was "out of ink." I replaced the old ink cartridge with the correct new Epson ink cartridge. My computer told me the cartridge was full, but the next page I printed was completely blank - not one single small dot of black ink. After working with it a few minutes (and having that day as the deadline to get my tax forms in) I concluded that the new cartridge itself was defective. I took it out and replaced it with another new Epson store cartridge. Still, I was unable to print in black. I also ran multiple nozzle checks and clean print head cycles, although I am convinced that I did not have any clogs. (After all, the printer had just finished pages with no skips.) I have removed and recharged my ink cartridge several times, to no avail. I contacted Epson web support, and their email reply was to give me a list of nearby repair places to take my (out of warranty) epson printer. They also told me that with my model printer, I could reinstall an ink cartridge after taking it out. I have been able to print papers for personal use by copying print to a word processing program, selecting all, and changing the color from black to dark blue, which prints fine. (the color looks like it uses black ink in the mix, but it may just be a combination of colors that creates the dark blue.) I am not able to change the color of charts and tables, so this method does not work for those. I don't feel like spending money to get my printer fixed when I could get a new one for not much more. I was hoping to find an alternative solution.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Berni350 (7/29/06 6:35 PM) reply + / -
My Epson Stylus Color 800 printer has similar problems as yours. However, it just started happening after 2-3 years of being just fine.

My black ink cartridge reads that it is at least half full, but it won't print black ink lately. I have run the print tests, nozzle checks and clean print head cycles, etc. Nothing works but color - not dark blue - in my case, magenta, pinks, etc. Not sure how many colors work correctly.

I have a new color cartridge right now, but not a new black cartridge, so I guess I'm out of luck until I order new ones online. (I do that to save money - they're LOTS cheaper than in a store, but I'm sure that the quality is not great a lot of the time).

Any suggestion on how to get my black cartridge to print, since it does have ink? I guess maybe I should take it out and play with it? Well, any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks. Berni

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by JVic (8/9/06 4:00 PM) reply + / -
Me too .... I tried everything and for the life in me I still can not get this to print. I also have the C80.

Any idease before I make a stop to office max to repace it ?

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Wes (8/10/06 12:57 PM) reply + / -
There are two common issues for blank output. The first is just a clog. You can use a kit like this to clean the print head http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/epson/K89 and the second is a clogged ink purge tube read here for more info http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/duraink.html The page shows a few models but it really covers all durabrite ink printers.

I hope this helps,

Wes.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by vancepacker (6/9/07 7:23 PM) reply + / -
Yeah, I just wasted $14 on that kit and it didn't do me any good. Of course my same problem developed just after the year warranty. Hope Epson might monitor thses kinds of forums, because I'll never buy another epson again.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by johnny8544 (1/2/08 7:31 PM) reply + / -
I have an epson stylus C82. I changed all the cartridges as they were all just about out of ink. Now the epson not only won't print in black, but won't print in any color. And I did remove and reinsert the cartridges, and the status check showed all were properly inserted and full of ink. I did several head cleanings also to no avail. Tech support could not come up with anything additional, and told me would be best to buy a new epson as my warranty is up and repair cost will exceed cost of a new printer. I will try some other things like additional head cleanings, and may try the kit, but really this looks like epson is running a scam, where they program the printers to stop printing once warranty is up and after you insert new cartridges. If anyone has any solutions please reply.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (1/15/08 6:29 PM) reply + / -
Hey, I'm having the exact same problem and that thing Wes posted isn't helpful at all. Apparently Epson sucks and I'll never purchase another item from them for as long as I live. Thanks for the SHITTY printer Epson! I'm glad I don't need to print anything!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by mmichaels1970 (1/21/08 4:18 PM) reply + / -
I'm having the exact same problem with TWO Epson printers. A stylus Photo R320, and a Stylus C86. They both ran out of black ink (not really, shaking the cartridges sounded like there was still ink left. But we know that they have some stupid chip in there that forces us to buy ink even when we haven't actually run out of it). I replaced the black ink cartridges on both printers. First the C86...it wouldn't print black ink at all. So I decided that it was ok since I also have the Stylus Photo. I replaced the ink in the Stylus Photo, and now neither of my Stylus printers will print in black. A check on Epson's support site does not acknowledge this as a problem. What a joke.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by vancepacker (1/22/08 5:46 PM) reply + / -
Spread the word: avoid Epson like the plague!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Walter Krumberg (1/30/08 5:34 AM) reply + / -
Not only has my Epson forced me to replace the color cartridges in order to print simple black text, but I have recently come to believe that the printer has also been sleeping with my wife.

Re: Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (1/30/08 5:38 AM) reply + / -
I advise you to check around certain areas of your house for odd-looking out of place cyan and magenta stains.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (2/11/08 12:47 PM) reply + / -
My printer will not print black ink can you helP/

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by a2c7 (2/12/08 2:54 AM) reply + / -
My R340 pulled the same trick, replaced the ink cartridges and now no black. I put my fingers underneath the printer heads and managed to get some black ink stains on my hand, but still no black printing. I read on another website that if you can take out the printer carriage and get to the heads you can clean them with a damp kitchen towel or some type of solvent as often the ink can just clog up and head cleaning by the printer won't help this - the residue needs to be soaked off. I'm going to work out how to take apart my printer now, as I think it's out of warranty anyway, wish me luck!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by tiredofjunk (2/23/08 9:02 AM) reply + / -
I remember something in the mail about all this and there being a lawsuit against Epson because of the ink and printing stuff.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by anonnymous (3/29/08 10:27 AM) reply + / -
had same problem..after printing one last photo with old cartridges, I replaced all with new epson cartridges..tried to continue printing, but got absolutely nothing..did nozzle check an head cleaning and all shown in owner manual..no black, no color, no nothing..I think they had a bad buch of cartridges that shorted out the printer..going to go with canaon or hp..

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Megan Strange (7/9/08 6:04 PM) reply + / -
Good news!

I had this problem with my Epson R320 and I just took out all the ink cartridges, wiped down the print heads and the nozzles with a damp cloth, and sprayed down the whole thing with one of those air dusters and it's good as new! Good luck and feel free to email me if you have questions.

:) Megan

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (8/21/08 4:43 PM) reply + / -
same problem with both my epson printers.... r300 and r320...they both were bought at about the same time and they both quit printing black..

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by flyhal (9/1/08 9:32 AM) reply + / -
Welcome to the club of epsons. Every one of thier printers do this at one time or another. My C120 done this on the original black cartridges. New won't help. With HP and others, you buy a new print head in each cartridge and pay a fortune. epsons have built in printheads which are the problem for plugging. I am now struggling to get this new printer going again. Like many companies, they really don't CARE about the customer. They look at the big picture and as long as they can con folks into buying, they are happy. This is the problem with out modern money hungry society. They don't care.

Frustrated Hal

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (11/23/08 4:58 AM) reply+1 + / -
i have an epson stylus d 92 but when i tried to print off black text but it prints out plain paper

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (1/12/09 6:18 PM) reply + / -
MY printer knows that I'm trying to fix it so it decided to gobble up my hand while i was trying to fix it. epson sucks. and i have papers to print. "bad word" YOU EPSON!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (2/5/09 2:55 AM) reply + / -
My epson is sooo bad it will only print BLUE BLUE BLUE notihning else!!! I h8 epson

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by flyhal (2/5/09 10:04 AM) reply + / -
I solved my problem. I threw the new printer in the garbage can and vowed never to buy another Epson. I now have a Lexmark, but he jury is not out on this one yet. What you have to do is BUY CHEAP in this THROW-AWAY society. Usually you can get a printer for $50 or less with new cartridges. When they run out or quit, buy a new printer and don't get sucked in by the cartridge industry.

Hal

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by peaved (5/29/09 8:55 PM) reply + / -
My Epson NX105 which is fairly new won't print now that I put a new black cartridge in. It was printing for a while on one that they said was out of ink. I got a good 20 copies out of my "empty" cartridge. The ink never got light or streaky, but they said I was out and refused to print until I replaced the cartridge. So I did, and now it won't print at all. It says it can't read the cartridges. I took them out and checked for leaks. There were none. I put them back and now it won't even acknowledge that I asked the thing to print. I am so pissed. I am going to have to drive 40 miles one way to get to the closest place I can buy ink and buy all the cartridges again I guess, or maybe another printer. Either way, I will be up all night doing paperwork tomorrow or get fired.
Sorry I have nothing positive to say. Just needed to rant and hope this may sway people to buy something else.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (6/8/09 2:39 PM) reply + / -
Megan's method really works.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by dingobully (6/21/09 6:01 AM) reply + / -
Ya. Epson is not our friend. My printer won't let me print in black because one of the COLOR cartridges is out (and it's not it's just a faulty genuine Epson 88 cart)! It's not an option. You HAVE to buy color ink to be allowed to use your black cartridge. Greedy bastard Epson executives!!!!!

Re: Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (6/21/09 12:25 PM) reply + / -
Hi dingobully:

Thanks for the response! Since then I got a new computer and a new Brother all-in-one printer (printer, copier, fax, etc.) and have had no problems at all! Not sure what I'll do with the old printer because it's worth keeping. Upgrading was long overdue in my case. I still had Win98 and now I have Vista!

Have a great day! Berni

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (6/22/09 4:54 AM) reply + / -
Megans method really does work!

Re: Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (9/12/09 10:57 AM) reply + / -
never again - stick to basis HP that only prints black -end off!!! Epson are cunning greedy bastards that make sure that if a colour runs out it can only be replaced by same colour and not black (like other printers). Where the hell do you find a majenta cartridge at 9pm when all you need is black. Espon - AVOID.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (9/12/09 11:56 AM) reply + / -
My replacement Lexmark lets me print without a color cartridge but probalby no without a black cartridge. Some printers can make black with a color cartridge, I think so should be able to print and waste your color ink.

Epsons are throw-away printers. The do print nice photos so buy a cheap refurbished one and then throw it away when the ink runs dry.

Hal

Re: Epson Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Dorf (9/19/09 5:10 PM) reply + / -
Even though I replaced black, the printer demands that the other colors are change, even when I want to only print in black... I think its all about EPSON wanting you to buy replacement cartidges... they can be found extremely cheap on the web, look for remaufactered, I stocked up...GOOD LUCK~

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Fred Frog (11/2/09 2:11 PM) reply + / -
Epson Printers lately are the biggest load of garbage on the planet.

Whoever heard of a printer that won't print BLACK when you can select USE BLACK INK ONLY in the control panel.

NO....You HAVE to have all the colour cartridges with ink in them to print BLACK.

So if you want to print a normal black ink on white paper letter, and your Cyan or red or blue cartridge is down on ink, you can't. Instead you get this eveil winking eye blinking at you almost ordering you to buy more cartridges from the GREEDY FAT CAT Epson organisation.

SOLUTION: Bin the printer. Buy Canon.

Epson has become a Zombie Company that couldn't care less about the people who buy its products... best avoided.

WASH YOUR EARS OUT EPSON......FOLKS AREN'T HAPPY>

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (11/3/09 9:03 AM) reply + / -
Just did what Megan recommended and it worked a treat!

Re: Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (11/3/09 1:32 PM) reply + / -
Hi there folks! I got notification in my email about this ongoing problem with Epson. Since I posted, I have a new system and my all-in-one-printer/copier/fax/scanner made by Brother is the same re printing black and white only. At first when my yellow color went out, it let me print in black only; however, not too long after that, I got the same message as you - won't print in black (anymore) which is total crap! Yes, we have the 'right to choose' in the printer menu but ALL companies these days (FYI: not just Epson) want us to BUY, BUY, BUY!

The best thing to do is to always keep the d____ed colors on hand or we won't be able to print at all. (until we get up and go to the store and buy one.) Ordering the generic version of one's cartridge online is the most economical, but I am leery with this new hardware, as 'generic' cartridges are said to mess up a good printer.

It is frutrating for sure! Thanks. Berni

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (11/28/09 9:22 PM) reply + / -
My printer wont print......... it's out of the yellow cartridge, but im trying to print a text document and it wont let me.what does yellow have to do with a text document. i have the epson stylus c120.

Re: Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (12/17/09 7:10 PM) reply + / -
I have an Epson printer and am constantly having problems with it. One thing I did do is I bought an Epson Cartridge Resetter, and the one I bought is called a Universal Chip Resetter. You can find them on the internet. It cost me about $15.oo including postage. That way you can reset the cartridge that you know has ink in it when the stupid Epson says that it can't read it. Also, you can refill the cartridges yourself. For all of that, my Epson has now decided that it just won't print out any ink! Now I am trying to find a cure for that!!!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by hkshallk (1/5/10 12:49 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem with my Epson Photo 1270. I finally took out the black cartridge and used a rubber bulb syringe (the kind the hospitals give you to use on a newborns nose) to suck the clog out of the plastic thing that pierces the bottom of the cartridge. It's working again!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (1/8/10 4:04 AM) reply + / -
ef epson! I need a black and white document printed by tomorrow morning and my yellow is OUT! NOOOW I can't print anything at all! What the hell is that all about. I'm so irritated right now, screw epson and there idiotic ways of FORCing you to buy color cartridges, use them during black printing, and then not allowing you to continue printing even one black document when the color is gone. Tossing this ish in the trash tomorrow. Stay away unless you want to spend LOADS on ink. I don't print much, and it has only been a month and it needs ink. Wow, none of it was color either, all black and white, yet the color is all out.

/END RANT

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Late (1/28/10 6:19 AM) reply + / -
Megan's idea does work, it fixed my SX200. I still hate this printer though. It drinks colour ink even though I'm not using it. When you change one colour the charge cycle takes ink from all the others cartridges too. I've bought a new cartridge just to find when I close the lid it has emptied a different one and the thing still won't work. I'm kind of sorry it works now as I was looking forward to taking it out to the garden and smashing it!! I hate Epson. I'll never buy another.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Michaelec (2/1/10 2:28 PM) reply + / -
I agree.. epson rubbish i will never ever purchase another. Same problem .. wont print. I have 2 Epons the r300 and its bigger brother the rx620 with in built scanner. I have NEVER EVER used cheap inks on the larger one, but always do on the smaller. Neither are reliable. The cheap inks are just as good... but every now and again it tels me theuy are not genuine inks and after plugging unplugging yeaning the wire out chargng re charging .. it starts working again. Again.. similar probs with the big printer that has genuine inks... just with nozzle cleaning head cleaning and no black ink. Epson design them this way and it TOTALLY sucks. Their software is rubbish results in hours of re printing wasted paper ank ink.. i dont know what the alternative is. Gotta try meagans tip now... even if it does work next the printer will need to 'charge inks' and will no doubt be telling me i need new cartriges shortly. EPSON + RIP OFF!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Only prints in blue by zinlavu (2/10/10 1:13 AM) reply + / -
Okay I feel like such a heel...I actually put the color cartridges in the wrong holes...(i ride the short yellow bus)

printer cartridges are charging now....

duh works fine now!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by sarahcita (edited 3/13/10 11:39 AM) reply + / -
I had the same problem, refilled my CX4800 with generic black = no black printing immediately. So, per internet advice, I disabled the Status Monitor in Printing Prefs, and used Megan's method of cleaning. I wiped down the contacts and ink nozzles on the cartridges, then told the printer to print in black only. It worked! All is back to normal, except for the fact that it's still an epson!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Ryanplays311 (5/12/10 10:48 AM) reply + / -
Megan's idea works like a charm!!!

Re: Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (5/19/10 2:50 PM) reply + / -
ef epson. I am having the same problem that you did. Did you figure a way without having to buy your yellow ink cartige?

Re: Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Anonymous (5/23/10 10:17 AM) reply-1 + / -
my new epson printer is pissing me off big time! black ink cartridge ran out soon after buying the printer so i bought a replacement black ink cartridge and then the fucking mejenta one runs out and i'm back to square one! cant print fuck all! the ironic thing is that i never fucking use the colour ones anyway! greedy epson cunts!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by reptilia82 (6/29/10 2:22 PM) reply-1 + / -
ok. I have an Epson Stylus PHOTO R220

Im out of YELLOW ink.
So I can't print a BLACK text file out!?!??!?!?

It never used to do this!?!?!

1) Since WHEN did this start?

AND

2) HOW can I get around this?

there MUST be a way. because this is so F**KIN PATHETIC it's not even funny!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by philly5706 (6/30/10 5:09 PM) reply + / -
All of the cartridges must have ink in them or nothing will print.

This is a public board. You should watch your language, especially since you're asking strangers for help. A few nicety's like a 'please' or a 'thank you' goes a long way.

SOLUTION - Epson R320 Photo Printer by HandyGirl (7/22/10 6:47 PM) reply + / -
Okay so I read all the posts and decided that spending the money on a pricy kit was not in my best interest AND that I could fix this myself. Turns out I was right.

So here's the fix. For those of you with young children in the house, the tool you need is most definitely close at hand. For those of you that don't have children or that have older children you will need to go buy it. For a buck at the dollar store. The magic tool is a bulb nasal aspirator. You know, the blue suction thingy you use to clean out a baby's nose?

Here's what I did. I took out all the cartridges, then one by one I placed the aspirator over the nozel and squeezed it. The puff of air went down through the nozel and cleaned it right out. And I'm not talking about doing this four or five times per nozel, just once. I had my printer back up and running in less than 2 minutes. And it was really clogged because it had been sitting unused for over two years.

Good luck! Hope this helps someone!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by adelicatetreat (8/25/10 1:20 PM) reply + / -
okay, why wont' my printer, print black in documents if the color ink is out. Is there not an option to just select black in? I'm so confused...help

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Wes (8/25/10 2:06 PM) reply + / -
You need all the colors to print Even if it is just black. That's just the way it is.

Re: Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by bhph (8/26/10 8:06 AM) reply + / -
Shame on Epson!!!
After finding this page, I'm stunned to see my ---OUR!!--problem goes back THAT far!!!
( CX4200 won't print black only with new black cartridge, but empty cyan)

I've never done it myself, but *would* it work to refill the cyan/colour cartridges ourselves, but using BLACK ink? That way it would still be their physical cartridge being 'read' in the machine. (Or does the dirty bu**er have built-in colour vision too?)

I hear refilling cartridges is pretty tricky and messy, but if anyone here tries this fix and it works, I'm sured many of us would give it a go.
Thanks !

Re: Epson tx101Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by gagendra (8/31/10 8:30 PM) reply + / -
i am also running in this problem.
epson is the only clever on this planet!
go to hell!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by mp125 (9/10/10 4:28 AM) reply + / -
As per the above tip from Handygirl, the solution really is just a puff of air.

My kids have since grown up, so I just borrowed the fat baster (yes I checked the spelling carefully) that my wife uses for the Sunday roast. Same principle just bigger scale.
I removed all the ink cartridges and used the baster once on each ink tube left on the printer. Reinstalled the cartridges and my black ink printing is now fully restored.

Note: firstly, make sure you clean the baster afterwards as it gives the first roast dinner a bit of a funny colour.

secondly, don't tell the other half what you used it for.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by HandyGirl (9/10/10 5:14 AM) reply + / -
Fat Baster, Nice! Glad it worked for you and don't worry we won't tell your wife. :)

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by I wanna do Megan (9/28/10 7:16 PM) reply + / -
I tried megan's method and it freaking worked, just as I was running out of ideas and wanted to take my epson nx400 out to a field and smash the hell out of it office space style. Thanks Megan, I'm picturing you as a really hot computer chick and will think of you in my dreams.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Mike195 (10/18/10 4:25 AM) reply + / -
My Epson sx600fw wont print black in text documents but will in pictures, any ideas please.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by mtnmedic (11/29/10 5:39 PM) reply + / -
I have an Artisan 800.

My problem is that it will NOT print in black, despite the fact that I have a FULL black ink cartridge, if just ONE of the colour ink cartridges is out. All I want to do is make one lousy B&W photo copy of an entirely B&W text page! I haven't had the need to print in colour lately, as you will see below.

I called support and their lame excuse was that "if you print black with one colour cartridge empty, air bubbles form..." etc. Like I'm THAT stupid.

Surely, this is just another sneaky way to get you to run out and buy more ink cartridges when you really don't need them at the time. It's low and dishonest.

I picked up a free colour laser printer (that came with full toner cartridges!) via craigslist a little while ago and couldn't be happier. The toner lasts forever AND the thing prints in black if you want to print in black even if a colour cartridge is empty! It's an Oki C5150. Doesn't scan or fax, etc. and it's older, but it gets the job done nicely.

I am tempted to sell the Artisan and be done with ink for good. It's too bad because the Artisan is one of the best colour photo printers out there. However, it's been forever that I've actually printed any photos. It's served me well as a fax machine and photocopier. What I really want is a multifunction colour wireless printer (one thing I like about the Artisan is it's wireless), but those are spendy. So for now I have a bit of a compromise. As it is, with the Light Cyan cartridge empty though my black cartridge is totally full, the Artisan is nothing more than a glorified scanner/fax machine. Just STUPID.

I wish I could find a class action lawsuit to get on board with to stop this trickeration by Epson and other dishonorable, greedy printer manufacturers.

Epson nx315 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by jerseybelle (12/21/10 7:48 PM) reply + / -
Okay so I have read all of these post and I am dissapointed in Epson, I bought this printer because I really only need it for homework purposes for my son and I thought it would be cheaper to only have to buy partial ink cartridges when I really need them. this really stinks that you can't print in black if one of the color cartridges is out, really this stinks. If anyone has a quick fix for this problem let me know. Thanks

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by mtnmedic (12/21/10 8:39 PM) reply + / -
Hi jerseybelle,

Sorry to say but there really isn't any quick fix for this problem. Yeah, it totally sucks. If your printing is going to be mostly in black, you're better off finding a nice inexepensive used laser printer on craigslist or something. Laser toner goes a LONNNNNNG way. Plus laser printed documents come out SO much crisper and nicer looking. Keep the Epson for color jobs.

I've relegated my Artisan 800 to doing only photo quality color-only printing (the laser printer I picked up is color also and it doesn't do bad for images if high quality isn't required) and for scanning, single photo copying, CD/DVD color labeling, FAX, etc.

This will be my arrangement for a while until I find and afford a quality image producing all-in-one color laser printer.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by glenbeals (1/20/11 4:43 PM) reply + / -
Same crap, tried the cleaning to no avail. What a rip! Mine is the CX9400 all in one.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by emerson (2/6/11 9:48 AM) reply + / -
I tried Megan's trick and it worked for me as well. Here is how I implemented her suggestions:
1st- I removed all of my ink cartridges.
2nd- I removed any bits of plastic from the position where the aftermarket cartridges seal over the ink intake hole using hemostats.
3rd- I used Q-tips dipped in rubbing alcohol to swab the alcohol over the ink pickup holes of the printer.
4th- I used an air compressor with a blow nozzle to blow out all of the dust.
5th- I reinstalled all of the ink cartridges and ran the head cleaning cycle that comes with the Epson driver software.

After this, I ran a head test and all but a few spots on the black ink head were working. Not perfect, but useable in the first go. I'm hoping that more frequent cleaning of this type will improve the longevity of the Epson R220 that I'm letting the kids use in the kitchen.

Thanks Megan.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Dorothyjoan (3/4/11 5:01 PM) reply + / -
My Epson DX7400 wastes a lot of ink charging up new inserted ones then it takes over an hour of cleaning, nozzle checking,test pages before it begins to print. By the time its printing properly, half the ink in the new cartridge is used up and also some of the other inks is wasted in the process. Tonight I had to replace the magenta, but by the time it had charged up and started printing, it had used up the cyan so I replaced this, then in charging that up, it used up the yellow. By the time I had replaced the yellow, the new magenta had been half used. Its a never ending circle. I need a printer that will carry on printing even if one of the inks is near empty. This one wont start if one ink is low or empty. With my previous CX3200 printer I could carry on printing in whatever colours were left until they were all empty, it just went a bit pale as they ran out but at least it kept on working right to the last drop. I take lots of photos so need my colours as well as the black for homework so am hoping for a solution before my machine goes out through the window!!

Re: Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by erinexa (4/2/11 7:32 PM) reply + / -
When your printer won't print click on utility and then click on driver settings then click on permit temporary black printing. This will allow you to print in black even though other colors are out.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by thr33tim3 (6/12/11 1:54 PM) reply + / -
I tried Megan's cleaning technique on my Epson NX415 and it DID NOT WORK, I get NO BLACK INK at all. I just blew $50 replacing all the ink cartridges. I will never buy a POS Epson again!
HP Laser printers, all the way, they work for YEARS and you only have to replace the cartridge after THOUSANDS of pages!!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by nineen (6/22/11 7:19 AM) reply + / -
Megan's cleaning tip worked Epson Stylus Office BX610FW . Black working fine now .Thanks Megan

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Inert_Self (7/16/11 10:34 AM) reply + / -
Epson NX415 is the worst printer ever! Every cycle clean and head test reduces the ink by about 10%, which btw none of it was used because none of the colors showed up! The ink cartridges obviously have very little air in them because when you shake them you can tell they are still full of liquid, yet they show up as empty! I've been through 12 ink cartridges and the colors just started coming through after printing solid colored pages and cleaning the printer head manually multiple times. Very pissed off at this printer and will never buy an epson. Tried to find a way to 'reset' the ink cartridge chips but I guess SSC doesn't work once they are out all the way? NX415 isn't supported anyway.. what a PITA, this thing is going in the dumpster..

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by mick76 (8/10/11 2:27 PM) reply + / -
This is full of tools with no answers the thread is for answers not your own questions you idiots!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by scootercats (8/12/11 11:08 AM) reply + / -
No answers here, help, I have an HP printer that wont print black with a new black cartridge, so frustrating!

Re: Epson Printer Won't Print colour or black Ink by rob from oz (8/14/11 7:42 AM) reply + / -
Hi

try checking the area where you peel the yellow tag off . If clear tape still present especially found to be common on non epson modules no ink will come out till it is all removed. Run 3 or 4 head cleaners should return to normal.

Rob

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by stevienicks (8/16/11 2:57 AM) reply + / -
I have an sx215 with the black printing problem and read the reviews
after the problem occurred just outside the warranty period.
The reviews were poor but only for black .

I phoned epson and got the usual bull , if I didnt use their consumables the printer would be ruined and the world would come to an end , they suggested binning it and buying a new one since repairs were uneconomical .

Epson sell printers at a loss but make money on the consumables (the worst kept secret in the world.

My print was streaky horizontally .

I bought new black cartridges , replace the black 3 times and it was still poor.

I then downloaded the new drivers and the first refused to install but the second choice did .
I then printed the same document 6 times and watched the cartridge reduce by half , its legible but hardly high quality .

I have been unclogging HP cartridges for years using wet kitchen roll , slapping it on the outlet hole and waiting for the black to come

INJECT PRINTERS , CRAP BUY A LASER FOR THE PRICE OF 2 LOTS OF REFILLS AND NEVER WORRY AGAIN

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Gingagimp (8/18/11 2:23 PM) reply + / -
EPSON YOU BUNCH OF MOTHER F"$ERS - I have just replaced my Epson SX515W cartridges with genuine Epson replacements, and lo and behold, it will not ptint the black full stop. This is the 2nd Epson that this has happened on less then a month after the warranty expired, and your customer services are worse than useless the brainless arseholes. I was relucttant to buy Epson the 2nd time around but got a good price, NEVER AGAIN!!! The poxy pieces of shite that this company are pumping out in mass is despicable, I am absoluitely pissed off to the max - One Epson SX515W taken outside and smashed with a lump hammer, and the same would go to the Epson director if I ever lay my eyes on the scumbag.
RIP OFF COMPANY, RIP OFF PRODUCTS AND USELESS TW$%S CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE - MORE LIKE NO CUSTOMER SERVICE

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by CMM83 (8/25/11 5:17 PM) reply + / -
I have been trying to get my Epson printer to work for it seems ever! I tried what others suggested and I have a ton to print. Isn't that why you buy a printer? I will never buy an EPSON ever again. There is no reason for this many people to have problems with a product. I wish more people knew about this before they bought one. I wish I had know...

No Subject by CrappyPrinterOwner (9/17/11 2:24 PM) reply + / -
My printer wouldnt print black even after I just changed it, so I decided to stick my hand and got it covered in ink. After that I took out all the colors(including black), checked if there was ink and put it back in with pressure so my printer knows I just changed it. I ran a test run and black ink started printing again!
Don't know if its temporary or permanant but Im going to use it to its ability.

If you try it and it works, then I guess my frustration didnt just become a fluke.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by kaustubh zope (9/20/11 6:35 AM) reply + / -
I had same problem wid my Epson stylus photo printer .
Black colour is not printing , else do....!

i wasted so much time to solve this problem. but it couldnt work .
can any one ll help me out of this problem !!!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by ciolo (9/24/11 12:10 PM) reply + / -
My f@%ing "Epson stylus photo PX710w" stop printing black today after I changed the cartrige with a new one. I've tried to clean it with the Megan recomendation but :( ... nothing.
Too manny people with this problem.. this is my last EPSON for the rest of my life ...

F"K You EPSON!! I hope you Mother F"$ers to buy candels with my money.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by B.J.B (10/12/11 2:45 PM) reply + / -
What I am coming to figure out, since there are A LOT OF US, with printers that will not work...Canon or Epson...and who knows how many others, when they print BLACK, they are also using up the other colors...otherwise...WHY IS THE COLOR CARTRIDGE ALWAYS empty around the same time the BLACK ONE IS?!?!

What I have finally figured out...the printer will NOT WORK IF THE COLOR IS OUT...even when ONLY printing type/black "ink"...

These companies are not stupid, nor do they create lousy equipment ...but they DO WANT YOUR MONEY, thus USING UP THE COLOR, to do only black printing, and IN MANY CASES, NOT ALLOWING you to print if the color is out!! My Canon does not have a "button" to make a choice to "print only black"!!! And don't think other countries don't want your money also...it is NOT JUST USA made stuff!!

And why the heck does ANY INK COST WHAT IT DOES?

CAUSE they sell the printers cheap, cause they will make up for it with the inks!!

SO...go get generic ink! That should fix these companies for messing with the consumer!! ;+)

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by BJB (10/12/11 2:49 PM) reply + / -

The following message will be posted in reply to thread "Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink".

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by B.J. (10/12/2011 2:43 PM) reply + / -
What I am coming to figure out, since there are A LOT OF US, with printers that will not work...Canon or Epson...and who knows how many others, when they print BLACK, they are also using up the other colors...otherwise...WHY IS THE COLOR CARTRIDGE ALWAYS empty around the same time the BLACK ONE IS?!?!

What I have finally figured out...the printer will NOT WORK IF THE COLOR IS OUT...even when ONLY printing type/black "ink"...

These companies are not stupid, nor do they create lousy equipment ...but they DO WANT YOUR MONEY, thus USING UP THE COLOR, to do only black printing, and IN MANY CASES, NOT ALLOWING you to print if the color is out!! My Canon does not have a "button" to make a choice to "print only black"!!! And don't think other countries don't want your money also...it is NOT JUST USA made stuff!!

And why the heck does ANY INK COST WHAT IT DOES?

CAUSE they sell the printers cheap, cause they will make up for it with the inks!!

SO...go get generic ink! That should fix these companies for messing with the consumer!! ;+)

Re: Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by mtnmedic (10/12/11 10:30 PM) reply + / -
Yep. It's one of the biggest SCAMS out there. Right up there with the people who fool buyers into thinking that the $150 HDMI cables are the best when a $5 cable is just as good. Digital is digtal-you either get it, or you don't.

I'm very, very, very happy with my color laser printer. The Epson Artisan 800...l hardly ever use it anymore...only to scan, fax and make the occasional photocopy. Rarely any photo printing. The laser printer is doing me wonders and the toner lasts practically forever.

Suck on THAT, Epson!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Nigel webster (11/1/11 4:17 PM) reply + / -
I have a Epson SX515W and only bought ink last month, genuine ink too at 40 for a set. I only print business documents with only very little colour. but its strange that it runs out so soon.

The frustrating thing is is I needed tonight to print my parents boarding pass for their flight in the morning and like everything I leave it to the last minute but EPSON on add to the frustration when it told me sorry you cant print out Black and white text because you have no colour ink.

So off i pop 10:30PM after a long day traveling to london having to get everything done and i have to go out late at night to pay another 40 just to print a boarding pass.

Seriously this is a joke. it is cheaper for me to buy a brand new printer with starter ink than it is to keep buying ink....

One word GREED

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by 123123 (11/14/11 5:01 PM) reply + / -
F#@K EPSON!!!!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by mtnmedic (11/14/11 5:10 PM) reply + / -
Yep. Only one word satisfies me in this discussion: LASER.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Frust8888ed (11/28/11 4:47 AM) reply + / -
My stylus515 was only printing blue and magenta on the nozzle check. Ink levels were all half or better. Tried Megan's trick, to no avail. I will replace my printer, but NEVER again with Epson.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Looksnicebut (12/1/11 11:52 AM) reply + / -
So I have an Artisan 800. Just found out the reason Epsons drink so much color ink - there is an "Automatic Head Maintenance" setting buried in about a fourth-level menu. I just turned it off, and we'll see if that cuts back the phantom color ink usage.

My real problem is, the overall print quality is beautiful but I've just started to get what looks like a black ink smudge in the upper left-hand corner (Portrait setting) - both B&W and color print outs. Have tried three rounds of nozzle cleaning, but doesn't seem to have helped. May try "Megan's fix" just to see if that works, but would like to see if anyone else has had a smudge there and if they were able to fix it.

BTW, last big beef on Epson - their auto sheet feeder is horrible. I had one warranty replacement after just a few months, and now a year later my second one has failed (no longer under warranty, of course). Frustrating.

Re: Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by mtnmedic (12/1/11 1:31 PM) reply + / -
Hmmmm...didn't even know about this "Auto head maintenance" setting. Where do I find it?

Agree with you on the auto sheet feeder. Mine quit on me...the gears in the drive mechanism are not meshing, rather they're missing and clicking away.

I've learned my lesson a long time ago. For all black printing (documents, letters, etc.)...a laser printer of any kind will be MUCH better and more cost efficient. I almost never use the Epson Artisan as a printer anymore except for the occasional photo prints (my laser printer is color). I mainly use it for scanning and fax now and I'm tempted to get rid of it altogether as most photo usage is digital images that aren't printed. I can't even remember the last time i actually PRINTED a photo off this printer. Maybe I'd do more if the ink wasn't so ridiculously expensive.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Looksnicebut (12/1/11 3:36 PM) reply + / -
On your Artisan, go to Setup > Maintenance > [right arrow] and you'll see "Automatic Head Maintenance" on the second page of that menu. Really buried - you'd never think to look there. Still not sure, but from what I've read, this setting uses ink to make sure the nozzles don't dry out, which is why the cartridges get low even if you haven't printed in weeks.

I like mine for scanning and faxing, too, and for printing cards and other color stuff including the occasional photo, but hardware quality is pretty suspect.

Re: Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by mtnmedic (12/1/11 4:06 PM) reply + / -
Awesome. Thanks! I'd never have known about that without reading your original post.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Looksnicebut (12/1/11 5:13 PM) reply + / -
Now if I can just figure out why I'm getting this smudge on my prints... I'd be tempted to buy a different printer if I hadn't just spent a bunch of money on a new set of ink cartridges.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Busman54 (12/16/11 10:35 AM) reply + / -
Well, thought that I was going to have to throw out my printer because of a clogged black ink nozzle until I got a creative idea! After not being able to clear the nozzle the regular way I tried a can of dust off. I took the ink cartage out and took and placed the sprayer nozzle of the dust off over the tip that the ink cartage went over and blew it out with the dust off. After that I did another heading cleaning and that fixed the problem.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Sepson (1/15/12 11:49 PM) reply + / -
I've found an even worse feature of my Epson Stylus 9300F. It's out of one ink and won't print anything, we all know that. But would you believe you can't even scan and send a fax? I know faxes are so 1980s but I still send a couple a year and this thing will NOT comply and do anything until I go out and buy one lousy ink cartridge!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by deltatom (1/24/12 6:04 PM) reply + / -
Epson sucks. I just took apart three R320's. the heads are easily removed. Placing them back in the printer, the hardest part was installing ribbon cable to the printheads. The printheads are cheaply made. I had three available so damaging for the sake of learning the machine was of no concern. I am just sorry that I just purchased two workforce 845 printers one week ago. I will be getting the extended warranty on both. I will then work the s**t out of them and then make epson replace them. We were smart and used our AMEX card to purchase these. When Epson's support will not stand behind their product, AMEX will give us the purchase price back. In fact they will add an additional year to the warranty period. This is even if we buy the extended warranty from epson.I have a feeling they won't make it through the warranty period. I'll be using good pigment aftermarket ink, but I'll be damned if I'll be putting more money into epson's pockets in the form of their damn ink!!!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by ggrrrrr!!! (1/29/12 5:16 AM) reply + / -
I followed what Megan advised and it worked whenever I tried to print the nozzle check. but whenever i print normal pictures or texts in black it still wouldn't print in black! I'm just furious now!!! grrr!!!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Dongle (2/25/12 6:49 PM) reply + / -
I was looking at all-in-one printers today. Epson has one for $60. It's really the scanner that I need. I just want to get my notes, receipts, etc. off of paper. Standalone scanners are supposed to be expensive.

I don't do a lot of printing. Maybe 3 to 12 pages a month, if even that. I always print preview to print only the pages I need. 90% of the time I print, I use the blank back side of used paper.

I already have an old HP deskjet 960c. It's good enough. The color cartridge stopped working after only a few documents, but B&W still works just fine.

Maybe I'll get the all-in-one just as a cheap scanner and keep the old HP for printing. What do you think?

BTW, if someone invented an e-Reader that let you download your own documents to it without going through the e-Reader company, I'd probably consider buying one, but Amazon, etc. are against personal privacy, so they won't do that.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by NettieDM (3/2/12 1:02 AM) reply + / -
I have an EPSON STYLUS CX7300 which was not used for a couple of years. Now, I bought a set of inks and installed it properly. The problem is that it only prints pink-red.

Please help. :( I don't know what to fix it.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Messcar (3/12/12 4:31 PM) reply + / -
I have experienced the same problem and In my case I think it is the Black compatible cartridge that's causing the problem not the printer. The compatible cartridges have two compartments one contains ink and the other a sponge which also contains ink. The problem is that the sponge is not releasing ink quick enough for the printer to use, this can be caused by a fine mesh which is situated beneath the sponge and above where the hole is situated which locates onto the printer head spike. below the very fine mash is a chamber which needs to be kept replenished with ink for the printer to operate, and if the chamber is not replenished the printer will not be able to print that colour even though the cartridge contains plenty of ink. I decided to modify the cartridge by piercing the foil mesh with a sewing needle, putting a couple of holes into the mesh this ensures that the ink can flow freely into the chamber and maintain a good head of ink for the printer to use. You will need to locate the hole which is between the chamber and the mesh foil and to do this push the needle in through the bottom hole and when you feel it penetrate further into the cartridge you will have located the mesh then just push the needle through the mesh in a couple of places, job done. I did not experience any dripping from the cartridge when I turned it over again to insert the modified cartridge back into the printer, but just to be on the safe side have a piece of kitchen towel ready.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by fnkybass (6/13/12 10:38 AM) reply + / -
Let me pile on and say my NX515 has been horrible. As a long time HP user, I took them for granted and just assumed all printers just "worked". My Epson NX515 no longer prints in black. I'll try Megan's solution above and hope it works - mainly because I have a cache of ink cartridges already purchased and want to use them up before I buy an HP again. Seriously, I should've known the great price I got for the printer would've been negated by the high cost of ink - and the stupid thing nags you constantly if you don't buy Epson brand. It's insulting.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by rosday (6/18/12 11:20 AM) reply + / -
I think someone should give Megan a big prize. I've done everything: head cleaning (bad idea), pumping that cleaning stuff in with a syringe; replacing cartridges (five so far and counting), swabbing with cotton buds, etc etc. I'd been about to throw my SX515W away but I thought I'd try her trick first. It's got the black going a bit, and now I'm trying that nice man on YouTube's suggestion of running a heavily black text page through multiple times on the very best photo quality setting, rather than using the 'clean' facility which uses up masses of ink in colours that are not clogged in the first place. I'm getting there - slowly, but the quality's improving with each run. Thank you Megan.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by mvw (8/21/12 5:27 AM) reply + / -
Well, I was optimistic about Our Hero Megan's idea. It started the black ink flowing, but it was only a trickle by the time the printer decided the BRAND NEW cyan and magenta cartridges weren't recognisable. So now it refuses to do anything.

I've now lost 3 days' worth of evenings and about $100 in inks.

Without a print to show for it. I'm with everybody else: BOO Epson!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by barkeater (11/23/12 6:12 AM) reply + / -
Although I have a different Epson printer (Workforce 600) than the OP, I believe Megan's advice is not recommended as you can easily damage the print head by blowing compressed air into the "spike" which is used to puncture the bottom of the ink cartridge. I recently have had the same issue as the OP due to the printer sitting idle for several months and successfully cleaned the print heads by adding a cleaning solution to the print head park area and letting it sit for a day, then further cleaning the bottom of the print head with a strip of paper towel covered in the cleaning solution. For a complete guide on how to resolve this issue and much more detailed information, you may request the cleaning manual (free) from Aurthur Entlich (e-printerhelp@shaw.ca). It is very comprehensive but if you take your time I believe this gives you the best chance at fixing your Epson and keeping it working well.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by b xr (12/31/12 3:25 AM) reply + / -
I have an Epson Stylus TX121 with same problem(black color doesn't print even in photos or text documents)then I sarted catridge replacement it works.But catridges loss their ink level.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by b xr (12/31/12 3:28 AM) reply + / -
I have an Epson Stylus TX121 with same problem(black color doesn't print even in photos or text documents)then I started catridge replacement it works.But catridges loss their ink level.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by theovondownunder (6/5/13 5:02 PM) reply + / -
I have simular problems like most with my Epson TX 110 printer . Just wondering if any body tried installing all black cartridges instead of the coloured ones. Then it would make no difference which one runs out just install a new black one . Naturally you can't print colour but I don't need it.
Theovondownunder

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by fnkybass (6/10/13 7:31 AM) reply + / -
Okay, so here's how I finally fixed this one.

I went to my web browser and opened up amazon.com. I searched for Canon MG5320 series all in one wireless printer. I found a good price + shipping confirmation and clicked Buy Now. Then I waited two days for a box to arrive on my porch. I replaced my Epson printer with the contents of the box, and now I'm printing again. Boom.

I'm now thinking about a similar fix for a Windows 8 laptop I foolishly bought last year.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by edwardo (7/23/13 2:47 AM) reply + / -

took cartridge out pushed a thin drinking straw onto bit on cradle that pierces black ink cartridge and sprayed wd40 into it, replaced cartridge and printed off large black squares in best quality to get ink running

Re: Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by dislkprntrs (8/20/13 7:03 PM) reply + / -
Theovondownunder

I like your idea and I have not tried it yet. I have 2 unused black cartridges and I'm not sure if I want to invest in 3 more yet. However, I may in the future when my next color runs out. Have you had a response from anyone who has tried this?

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by css2420 (9/6/13 4:57 AM) reply + / -
I have an Epson Workforce 7520 and I tried all options above and I still can not get my black ink to print. This is my second printer in 6 months! I used to have a Brother for a couple years and that would not communicate very well with my new W7 computer. So I am now using this worthless Epson! Or should I should I say EPSONs.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by cosmiclove (9/7/13 7:53 AM) reply + / -
Megan's trick worked really fine for me!!! Guys try what she is describing in her comments. remove all the cartridges and use a damp cloth to wipe both the cartridges and nozzle heads. I just did it, BUT i didn't blow any air/duster. Nonetheless it works really fine right after that. Now I can print black again.
H

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by css2420 (9/7/13 8:44 AM) reply + / -
Megan's trick does not work for me. I even tried a new cartridge in case the old one is "bad". Still NO BLACK.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by css2420 (9/8/13 7:02 AM) reply + / -
Doing things over and over again, expecting a different result is the definition of insane. However, I tried the following and after each I tried printing:
1.) Cleaning the Cartridges and heads
2.) Turning the Printer off and then on again
3.) Removing the cartridges and turning the printer off and then on again and then inserting them back into the printer
4.) Replaced with new cartridges

I replaced the cartridges 4 times at random frequencies while performing the above tasks 1-3. After doing tasks 1-3 a dozen times or so I inserted the original cartridges that caused me the initial problems back into the printer. Then after going through tasks 1-3 only a couple times it finally worked after completing No. 2. Problem solved, but I am still unsure what actually resolved my problem.......

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by cosmiclove (9/8/13 9:02 AM) reply + / -
Haha, wow, impressive and crazy!!
But you want to know what's even more crazy... when I received your first response to my suggestion, I drafted a whole message detailing almost point to point those steps you've listed, and you know what, I felt so dumb to ask you to repeat these very steps again (you said it well, doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result, huh)...so I decided to erase my message and hoped for the best...
Glad you were "insane" enough (haha, persistent, I meant to say) to try a dozen times. Glad it worked for you!

p.s. For guys out there, Megan's trick actually does wonders if you care enough to try it several times. (add one or two steps from css2420, and you should be good to go!) Bonne chance!
H

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Rudy1701 (10/19/13 9:01 PM) reply + / -
I have an Epson Artisan 810 with a CISS ink supply. I let it run completely out of ink and as a result had the same problem as you guys. Once the new system was installed no print. You have to remove the cartridges and blow out the nozzles that the cartridges attach to. I used one of those injectors that you use when injecting turkeys. Run the head cleaning procedure for about 3 times,new ink gets to the print heads and you can print away.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Jeanne O. (11/15/13 6:12 AM) reply + / -
I tried everything I found in this forum first. Then did something that I found on another forum (FINALLY!), and it worked for me. I don't know if this will help anyone, but I also had the black ink stop printing in an Epson Artisan 710. I tried multiple cleanings, nozzle checks, cleaning nozzles, etc. with no improvement. I tried printing documents on best photo quality and gray scale to try to force the ink thru the black nozzle alone, but to no avail. Once, I switched two cartridges to wrong positions, and the black still did not print thru the other nozzle, so I decided it wasn't the nozzle. I found a forum where someone had this problem with the black not printing, and she related that ink cartridges have 2 compartments inside....one for ink and one with an ink-filled sponge held in by a copper mesh....she took a small needle and poked a couple of holes in this mesh that apparently wasn't letting ink thru, and it worked. AS I DON'T USE EPSON CARTRIDGES and buy re-manufactured ones, I tried the same, as I had nothing to lose, and, lo and behold!!!, it worked. Saved me from needing to buy a new printer. I used a very fine quilting needle and stuck it thru the mesh 2-3 times (where the ink should come out) and quickly put it back in the printer. I had no leakage or mess while doing this...INSTANT FIX after 2 days of working on the printer and losing a lot of ink with the head cleanings, this low-tech method worked for me. Hope this might help you. B

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by proctortwin (11/26/13 12:10 PM) reply + / -
I'm in London and contrary to a lot you I had quite a bit of help from the Epson helpdesk. It's a premium number to ring so go onto www.saynoto0870.com and they give you the free landline number to ring. I've had about a hour's worth or advice from Epson's helpdesk with them patiently talking me through setting up the wireless - it' weird but if your IP address is wrong, the black won't print. Of course, this email supports your complaining in that they sent me a replacement printer because of this, and the new one has the same problem - hence I'm here looking for the answer because the help desk is closed! But before, you throw away your computer, try their help desk perhaps?????

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Milisa Roitsch (12/20/13 3:17 PM) reply + / -
So, I had to try meagan's method. Here's what I did: I took a wet q-tip and soaked and dried and soaked and dried until all the ink came out. It took about 15 q-tips. And then I also periodically pushed a little air through with a medicine dropper (I couldn't find the aspirator or 1/2 of the turkey baster!). It worked.

Be diligent, my friends, and don't give up. Maybe I will dig those generic cartridges out of the trash and see if they will work now...

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Milo13 (1/5/14 1:32 PM) reply + / -
I have an Epson Artisan 730..I do use refillable cartridges and have had the unit for 2 years. Suddenly there was no ink being dispensed from the black cartridge. I called Epson support and had to lie telling them I was using Epson ink and we went through all the steps to trouble shoot the printer. In the end the technician told me it was a hardware failure and the unit needed to be repaired out of warranty. I went and bought an epson black ink cartridge for my unit
and it made no difference. Today after rereading some of the posts in this thread I decided to go out and buy a turkey baster with an opening big enough to fit over the ink nozzles that insert into the cartridge. I also bought an can of compressed air. I cleaned all six nozzles with a damp cloth and then took the turkey baster and blew air over the nozzles especially the black one. (other colors were not giving me issues) Then I took the compressed air and blew right into the black nozzle about half a dozen times. I then ran the head cleaning program three times...and voila....my printer is now working perfect!!! As I suspected it was nothing more than a blocked line on the blk cartridge.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by mtnmedic (1/5/14 11:48 PM) reply + / -
Yep. All of this continues to show that inkjet printing is a sham and a waste. You either have to be printing and buying cartridges constantly in order not to waste any ink on maintenance OR you have to waste a lot of ink and by cartridges constantly if you print occasionally/rarely because of the maintenance. Then there's the hassle of cleaning and troubleshooting inkjet nozzles, etc. What a joke.

I rarely ever use my Epson Artisan 800 for printing anymore. It's too much of a hassle. My old color laser printer does a nice job for most of what I need, albeit its pictures don't look as good as those produced by the Artisan. That said, it's an old Okidata C5150, older than the Artisan.

At work, we just got a really nice Xerox all-in-one color laser printer with wireless networking capability, true photocopying, duplexing, large paper capacity, fax/scan, etc. for well under $400 (I think $350 or $375, shipped). Its photo printing is quite good.

Laser is the way to go. I'm going to sell my Artisan, use a flatbed scanner in the interim for scanning and copying. When I get a little money together, I will get a decent under-$400 AIO color laser printer and donate the old Okidata to our volunteer fire department. Then I'll be done with ink, ink mess, ink waste and the ripoff that is inkjet printing once and for all.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Milo13 (1/9/14 8:08 AM) reply + / -
Following up to my original post..the unit once again stopped printing black..I have gone through the same procedures once again..maybe a bit more thoroughly this time and it is now printing black..I burned through a lot of ink doing about a dozen head cleanings over the last few days..this is the real aggravating part....the cost to run maintenance on these machines as it burns ink.But whether it continues to function is anyone's guess. I have made the decision to and have now bought a monochrome laser printer. I also called an Epson authorized repair depot to find out what the problem might be. Unfortunately they told me to just open the unit up which involves taking it apart which is cumbersome and then troubleshoot the problem and then reassembling the printer would cost me a minimum of 140 dollars. That is their hourly rate.
The technician told me that it was not worth fixing as I had originally paid 175 for this unit.
So there you have it. I am done with inkjet technology.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Elily (1/15/14 1:06 AM) reply + / -
I had to do a head clean numerous times before it printed without any missing text. My brand new black ink is now less than half full!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by streamer (2/3/14 2:25 AM) reply + / -
Megan's method worked for my clogged Epson Stylus NX430.

My damp cloth was a damp spectacle cleaning cloth. My air duster was a bicycle pump. After cleaning and air dusting I switched the machine back on and performed the Head Cleaning function under the Maintenance menu.

It was worth the effort.

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by Kennesawmom (3/17/14 7:53 PM) reply + / -
Another vote of confidence for Megan's method. I used damp q-tips and the air duster for the computer. It worked. The black is up and running again.

THANKS MEGAN!!!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by degold (5/3/14 10:29 AM) reply + / -
I used Megan's trick of removing cartridges, wiping down print nozzles with a damp cloth and then, since I didn't have a compressed air thing-y, I used my blow drier on cold. Worked like a charm!

YEAH MEGAN!

Re: Epson R320 Photo Printer Won't Print Black Ink by hello123 (8/18/14 8:14 AM) reply + / -
I took the black cartridge out and went around the nozzle part on the printer. Stuck the cartridge back in and it works now.....it is skipping a little but it was not printing black AT ALL...

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters