fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Hp 3110 ink system failure

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Hp 3110 ink system failure by jasond (7/7/06 12:45 AM) reply+1 + / -
I have the Hp photosmart 3110 all-in-one it has been running well since we first purchased the printer back when it came out. However today we recieved an error message stating a ink system Failure. I have checked we the HP help files to find a solution.
They said to disconnect the printer, remove ink cartriges, turn printer off, wait a minute, then turn it back on, replace ink and connect to computer again. If this didnt work (whitch it didnt) they suggested to contact HP support, now at $33 a minute, i was hoping there is someone out there who could shine a little light on this problem and give me a hand. As this printer is also needed to organise a business all help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by mmoss111 (7/17/06 5:58 PM) reply + / -
Believe it or not, my Photosmart 8250 has the same problem. From what I have read, hp customer service is useless. I wonder if many of the 8250's have this problem and what causes it? I would like to fix it if it is not a real design flaw but rather is just an adjustment or a dirty sensor somewhere. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Marvin

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (12/23/06 12:25 PM) reply + / -
I got the same problem as described above. Can somebody help me please?

Kind regards.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Vinitt (1/4/07 9:48 AM) reply + / -
There is small patch that needs to be updated
Download & Install the patch from from here.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com

And the issue will be resolved for sure

Vinitt

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by printermd (3/4/07 12:29 PM) reply + / -
My sugggestion to anyone with this machine is to go to http://www.shopping.hp.com and buy an extended warranty for $59. After you have the warranty call 1-800-474-6836 (HP Support), and put in a claim. You will have a new printer in about 2 days.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (3/7/07 12:28 AM) reply+4 + / -
Reset the system by holding down the OK, Cancel, Black, and Color buttons down at the same time and turn the 3310 off. Keep holding the buttons down until the printer shuts off and the turn it back on. You will have to turn the printer off twice and then it will recalibrate. Make sure you have new cartiges in the printer so that it can reset. Good Luck!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by lpt-man (3/11/07 7:59 PM) reply + / -
Thank you Anonymous! I have been looking for that reset code for about a month. I had a customer's Photosmart 3110 with an Ink System Failure. After disassembly of the case, I found that the ink pump gear fell off, that is the white plastic assembly on the left side. I put the gear back on and put it all back together and it still had the error.
After holding down OK, Cancel, Black and Color buttons while turning it off, I turned it back on, it shut off and I turned it back on again. Sure enough, it did a maintenance cycle and it works again.
This thing hasn't printed since December but there were no missing lines and all the colors came through on the first print. These things must have a very good printhead, let's see an Epson do that!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Kjakan (3/17/07 12:46 PM) reply + / -
Thank God I found this reset! Finally after lots of troubleshooting I got my printer to work again. I cannot thank you enough. Kudos to your reset receipe.

Kjakan

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by pipas (3/20/07 6:30 AM) reply + / -
Great, I thought my life was going back,
but now my printer is working fine
it uses a little ink, but its solved
thanks a lot Anonymous

Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by Anonymous (3/20/07 8:02 AM) reply+1 + / -
Our HP 3210 was having the same ink system failure. Tried everything I could find, and had just about given up when I found this forum. I didn't quite get the reset right the first time, but on the second try it worked. After holding down OK, Cancel, Black and Color buttons while turning it off, I turned it back on, it turned itself off and I turned it back on again, it started off doing the calibration and it took about 5 minutes, but when it was finished I had a working printer again.

Thanks for the posts on this,
Matt

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by WAHAB (4/9/07 5:25 PM) reply + / -
THANKS ,,, PEOPLE .. I DID SAME AS U SAID... AND IT WORKS. TRY IT . IF U DONT BELIEVE ME

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (7/3/07 10:13 PM) reply + / -
the reset worked for me for a 3210! Thanks. I thought it was headed for the scrap heap!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Fr09gA (7/15/07 10:42 PM) reply + / -
Cheers! The reset command fixed me customers HP Photosmart 3110 All-In-One that had the "Ink System Failure" message. =D

Re: Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by Anonymous (7/18/07 5:01 PM) reply + / -
hi, thank you very much for the information. My printer started working again after following those steps. there is no more ink system failure coming up.

thanks

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by HoldenFACD (7/24/07 5:55 PM) reply + / -
My heroes. Reset worked on my 3210xi (after 3rd try). Hours of phone calls and e-mails with HP accomplished nothing. Thanks!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (8/3/07 1:00 PM) reply + / -
thanks

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by mihnea (8/9/07 1:14 PM) reply + / -
Thank you anonymous! you saved my life ,when i almost gaved up with my patience for this HP 3210 All in One.Code on the display was 0xc18a0107 ,ink system problem and nothing wanted to work anymore. It was for the second time that it happened ,but the first time was inside the warranty period and they replaced my printer with another one, when the problem was so simple.This HP people are so vicious minds , only to get people crazy .Old printers where so good and fiable that get them out off bussines so they must put something up .Shame on them .Thank you again

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by 2Sunshine (8/11/07 10:25 AM) reply + / -
I have a HP Photosmart D7100 printer with an Ink System Failure.
The printer is a little over a year old and not used a lot. It had not been used for over 2 weeks when the failure occured. HP support and troublshooting advice did not work for my problem.
Found this webpage and tried the code but couldn't use that since I don't have a black or color button. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by utoo (8/15/07 1:54 AM) reply + / -
to day i found solution from this site http://www.coldreset.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=80 thanks.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (8/17/07 2:29 PM) reply + / -
HP Photosmart 3310 AIO

Error 0xc18a0406 Ink System Failure

White pump gear had come off on left side of printer. Reinstalled. Performed reset. Tested ok.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by alainD38 (8/28/07 3:06 PM) reply+1 + / -
I have a HP Photosmart 3210 printer with the Ink System Failure.
I tried the reset command as described in this forum but it did not resolved my issue. I am thinking about checking the white pump gear.

Can somebody provide some guidance on how to access the gear ?

Thanks

Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by WaterG (8/29/07 9:40 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the info! My PC just spent 3-weeks getting a multi virus cleaning and now that I have it back, I did not have any patience left for a broken printer as well. Bless this World Wide Web! I missed it so much.

3210 All-in-One Ink systems Failure by Desiree (9/4/07 7:01 AM) reply + / -
Thanks so much Anonymous!!! You are a life saver! I followed the steps you gave, and sure enough it worked!!! I held the OK, CANCEL, BLACK, and COLOR buttons while turning it off. I turned it back on and repeated the steps. (In case you're wondering, it took longer the 2nd time to shut down.) It shut off on it's own the 2nd time around and when I turned it back on, it did device maintenance... NOW THE ERROR MESSAGE IS GONE! Thanks again...

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (9/10/07 6:19 PM) reply + / -
Great guys spent online for an hour for hp to tell me i need a new printer.. LOL ha Gear fell off as posted above. I replaced held the rest buttons and im printing again

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by philcom (9/13/07 3:46 PM) reply + / -
I also have a 3210 with a error of Oxc18a0401 and after a reset it still comes up with the same error. Im thinking maybe i also have a gear problem. Can you anonymous guys that have fixed your's please help me with mine. I can not figure out how to open this thing or is there is gears missing out what.

Re: Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by andrewsfinal (9/15/07 5:28 PM) reply + / -
HP did not reply to my emails.

I found this webpage and the answer!

this worked perfect!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by foxwatcher00 (9/25/07 11:09 AM) reply + / -
OK
If the brilliant suggestion above doesn't work
for all you with a 3210 (or similar) its take it apart time !

Yes the White plastic gear wheel may have come off its nut mounting.

I have taken mine apart and have some photos, but its not easy.
The big gear wheel that was supposed to be on the pump was stood at an angle on the floor of the printer.
This was not visible from inside the printer with all the parts on.

At this point in time I am yet to put the 8 printer parts and 14 screws back together. But, It was broke and I was going to buy another one so I have not lost anything yet !

I will keep you posted if you are intersted.
J.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by foxwatcher00 (9/26/07 12:24 PM) reply + / -
Put it back together - with no spare parts or screws !

I Had to run the reset suggestion above as it seemed to remember there was a fault.
(By the way it doesnt need the Black and colour keys pressing)

*************** IT WORKS ***********************

Thats saved myself £100 for a new one.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (9/27/07 8:53 AM) reply + / -
I can't thank you enough. After talking to hp support and doing their's check up they tald me that it is a hardware problem that can not be fixed. Since my warranty expired they offered a purchase of new HP printer. I was so close to buy it but I was upset on HP so I thought I will research first other products. Now thank to you my printer works again. Thank you.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (9/27/07 6:42 PM) reply + / -
Thank so much it worked for my 3210 also.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by philcom (9/30/07 1:32 PM) reply + / -
I keeped on geting the same error even after reseting the printer. then this worked for me after alot of trying.
Use a combo of both reset methods. hold down the cancel, ok and black buttons then push power when it turns off unplug the power and remove the carts, wait about 1 min put back the carts and plug back the power. now power on. you should see some strange message i forgot what is says. but argree and let it do its maintenance thingy. You may have to do it a couple times.
I use this printer to print about 1000 to 2000 full color double sided glossy mailers for realestate. I still get the error after about 500 prints and need to reset.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Yar (10/5/07 8:44 AM) reply + / -
Hi all,

I had a 3210 literally had one. After weeks of frustrating lack of HP support, I decided to figure the failure out myself.
I cannot tell you how many different reset techniques and sequences I was told to try.
It was a perfect unit until one day the proverbual Ink system failure message displayed. When contacted HP I went through the excercises of various reset routines to no avail.
After several attempts with HP support I hung up and took the machine apart. what I found was the perlistolic pump that actuates the transfer of the 6 inks from the actual tanks to the fixed print head resevoir had a gear jammed into the drive gear or actually misaligned and broke teeth on the assembly. This in fact was a poor mechanical design within the system by keeping their cost down.
Needless to say if all else fails in regards to HP tech support by resetting, I would ask HP to exchange it for another model if still under a warranty.

Yar

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (10/6/07 6:37 PM) reply + / -
It really works! Thanks so much!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by GRATEFUL 2 U (10/8/07 10:03 PM) reply + / -
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I had the ink system failure message too. I tried this reset method and presto! it works just fine! Thank you so much! I had no money to get my printer fixed and now I don't have too.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (10/9/07 8:26 PM) reply + / -
Thanks a lot!!1 It really works for me...thank you again

Re: Hp 7160 ink system failure by nfbecerrar (10/20/07 8:33 AM) reply + / -
hi I have a photo smart d7160 is new one but is only ´printer and dont have a black and color button, send me the error of ink system fail i search but i dont found anything can someone help me pleasee ......

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by jdossing (10/20/07 12:03 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Anonymous the reset worked for me on my Photosmart 3210. Hp support was useless. They had me press the ok and cancel buttons only and powering down unit. They told me I needed to send the unit in when that didn't work or buy another unit, (like I want to buy another piece of junk from them).I also used the advice on their web site about taking the cartridges out power up and putting the cartridges back in that didn't work. What concerns me is how often I might need to do this. Hp used to be a fine printer but now their hardware and support really is horrible. HP sent me an email asking how I felt about their support, I won't go into my response here.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by andyc1909 (11/4/07 2:25 PM) reply + / -
Hi Everyone,

I have a 3310 all singing and dancing in one that doesn't get black ink onto the paper. all other colours make it to the paper just not the black. no error messages displayed.
took print head out and got cleaned and voila black ink came through again straightaway with just one maintenance clean.
two days later same streaking on bottom few lines, did maintenance, yet more streaks, more maintenance, even less black ink, until in the space of 10 mins no black ink getting through whatsoever.

At the point of despair as just gone out of warranty!

Much thanks in advance for any advice.

PS tried reset to no avail.

things don't add up? whatevers knackered it's just on the black ink side but if it was hardware then surely no ink at all would get thru? kind of gives me hope there's a solution out there.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Clueless969 (11/5/07 10:54 AM) reply + / -
Like Andy's post, I have >>exactly<< the same problem. All the colours print, I get zero error messages but the printer will not deliver any black ink to the paper. Amongst other things, it makes it just a little difficult to see the printed results from self-test which, of course, print in black!!!

So, like Andy, I would >>really<< appreciate some ideas please.

Many thanks and all.

I shall lurk with bated breath and fingers crossed.

Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by Anonymous (11/16/07 5:55 AM) reply + / -
I had the same error (ink system failure),I went mad!
But you are a lifesaver!!! This trick works like a charme.

Here som more hidden tricks for the Photosmart 3210:

1: turn on printer and wayt for it to get ready
2: unplug powercord
3: press '6' and 'Select Photo'(most right of the '6') button and hold pressed
4: plug in powercord
5: keep holding key's pressed until display shuts down
6: release buttons; message "Semi NVM Reset"

trick 2:
1: press simultaious "arrow left" + "arrow right"
2: enter '1 2 3'
3: this wil get you in to mfg menu

Greatings from Paul.

Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by MountainMan100 (11/18/07 7:04 PM) reply + / -
I have owned this 3210 for about a year and a half and this was the second time it quit on ink system failure. HP replaced it the first time, but I was on my own on the second failure. It sat for a few weeks until I found this site. All you have to do is hold down four buttons at the same time ( OK, Cancel, Black , Color ) and turn the power off. Do this at least twice and the unit will power up and go to maintenance. Then it was back to normal. HP gives you a procedure that doesn't work! They just want to make money off fixing it every 6 months. Thanks for the help !!!!

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (11/22/07 10:11 AM) reply + / -
I have photosmart 3310 and i been told that gearbox is broken but don;t know how to fix this if you can explain little bit i would appreciate they want 350$ to fix this.thanks

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by bobp (11/24/07 2:33 PM) reply + / -
I was a crossroads to either ditch the printer or try and fix it. I am glad I tried to fix it. The problem that I experienced was similar. The problem is that the gear that drives the pump may have fallen off (as in my case.)

If you are willing to take a chance take the printer apart. Dissconnect the power.
Remove the screws from the scanner area.(6 + 2)
Remove the pivoting top and take care of the ribbon cables and wire connector.
Remove the side and back plastic covers
Remove the power supply
Take off the two screws that hold the ink pump (white)
pull out the pump and reinstall the gear.
May need glue but I did not use it. Reattach the belt.
Put the machine back together
Do a soft reset
You will be back on line

If this happens again I will glue the gear in place.
Time to fix having never done anything like this before was one hour. Next time it should take less than 30 minutes now I know what the pattern is.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (12/7/07 12:25 AM) reply + / -
This worked on my 3210xi after four tries! I just bought the CISS ink system off ebay (which also works great with this printer) and my wife has been printing like mad so this was a Christmas miracle for our family since she was just about to do Christmas cards! Thanks again!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by malkee (12/21/07 8:04 AM) reply + / -
No new fixes, but a couple of possible causes for the 'ink system failed' warning. First, be sure you avoid switching off the printer the wrong way. When the machine is in standby it's easy to inadvertently flip off a wall switch or extension cable without switching off the machine by its (stupidly named) 'On' button. Repeatedly doing this may undermine the machine's setup. Secondly, be sure it's sitting on a really rock steady base. If the machine is allowed to shake itself a lot as it prints it may do damage to some of those not very well engineered internal components. Thirdly, and this may or may not be a factor, but leaving the machine in a very cold place and unused for an extended period might cause problems when it's suddenly made to print again. Hope this helps a little bit. Malkee

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by amgine (12/27/07 6:48 PM) reply + / -
Greetings everyone!

I can't thank you enough, Anonymous, for posting that Reset instructions here. It absolutely worked for me!!! I've only had my printer for a few weeks when the infamous 'Ink System Failure' Message came up, so you could just imagine the dread and frustration I went through upon realizing that the HP troubleshooting solution was/is of no avail. I was not looking forward to spending $$$$ to have it serviced, as HP have recommended; yet, I needed to have it fixed, and I needed it fixed soon. Hence I am grateful beyond words for having surfed unto this forum! THANKS HEAPS.... Happy New Year to one and all. Amgine

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by paperjam (12/29/07 8:31 AM) reply + / -
I had the same problem. The printer made a clicking sounds during maintenance cycle and gave a ink failure error. Look inside, on the left, in the gears there was a small piece of paper jammed. I removed it and the printer works.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (1/15/08 10:26 AM) reply + / -
In the end I opted for the out of warranty replacement printer at a cost of £140 and vowed to myself never to buy HP products again.
The replacement came from Germany and is a refurbished model.
You have to transfer the front plate, don't let the ups man take your old one when he drops it off, wait till you're entirely happy and then arrange for collection. They didn't about the refurbished model or transferring the fron plate!
HP are complete and utter arseholes, this is the last time I ever buy from them!!!!!!!
Wish I'd tried the taking off the gearbox and seeing if everything was working fine in there before I'd taken the OOW option.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (1/16/08 4:37 PM) reply + / -
After continually scanning the internet for a service manual for this machine and not finding one, I marched down to the printer selling stores to inquire about another that is not HP,
unfortunately, I am told by the seller with a huge choice available there are none in comparison in another brand that give such good results (when working properly) I have purchased through begrudingly a HP c7280 for £150 and a 3 year warranty for £44. I haven't opened the box yet as I am scouring the internet for another brand/reason to send it back. I have however full faith in your German refurbishment because I am told that those in europe use far better quality service parts than those in asia.
(check where mobile phones are finished in and you'll dig my drift).
Amanda

HP 3310 Cannot find my network wirelessly! by QABDJ (1/23/08 5:08 PM) reply + / -
I am having some problems getting my 3310 to find my Linksys wireless router, wirelessly. I have gone as far as to set the router right on top of the printer, go through and set the address and ssid manually and nothing. It just says Searching for Network over and over and over until it just gives up and goes back to the main screen. It never finds my network or any of the others in my area (I live in a small complex).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I have followed the HP instructions to a T.. And still nothing. It never finds my network and security is off! I have even assigned the wireless MAC address into my router manually to avoid any issues with that.

I hope someone, anyone can help me get over this issue! Thank you so much in advance!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (1/24/08 2:51 AM) reply + / -
I've switched to Vista but recall having many problems getting wireless connection with netgear and 3310 talking. 3310 would show connected but not communicate - i know slightly diff. problem. Anyway had to tinker around printer properties and in particular around ports - I had to type the network ip address into a box on one of the windows.
sry can't be more specific - there is a page within HP website help about it but link now lost and best of luck finding it.

Why don't we all start a Don't Buy HP protest movement on Myspace- Youtube - facebook etc and force them to sort themselves out the useless tossers!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by mgtwin (1/26/08 6:07 PM) reply + / -
Hi/ How to over ride expired ink on Hp 3110. hp 02 ink with out chip reset. Just change date or take out battery. I bought two sets of ink from Costco expired july 2007. I been refilling one set and used for 3 years and that time nobody know how to refilled until I went to Singapore refill store in 2006 told me drill and refilled. After refill when turn on printer just o.k two times and you can used for a long time but you can not see how much ink left. I been printing more than 2000 pictures. After drilled you need to clean inside with warm water and closed with rubber. Also you can go to link http://www.alotofthings.com/viartshop/articles.php?category_id=11

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by another anonymous (1/27/08 10:21 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for this reset info. I was able to reset our HP Photosmart D7300 series printer by holding down the "Print" and the power button at the same time. A message "Enter special mfg key" or some such message came up. I powered off and when I powered back on the printer reset and the ink system failure message went away & I am able to print again. Unfortunately, it's not printing colors worth a hoot now, but that is probably where I tried a few "extra" steps to clean the ink cartridges. Hopefully they will right themselves after a few test page runs.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (2/6/08 10:04 AM) reply + / -
HP 3210xi "Ink System Failure"

Thanks for the tip. I put the gear back on, completed the reset as described above, and the printer is up an going again.

I have been an HP certified technician since the HP laserjet II, and am completely baffled by the shoddy construction of the pump assembly. Still, thanks to tips like this I continue to sell HP printers knowing I can support the end user much easier than with any other vendor.

Name withheld.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (2/11/08 8:53 PM) reply + / -
Hey, thanks for the great tip! Per your instructions, I reset the system by holding the OK, Cancel, Black, and Color buttons down at the same time until the system shut down and came back up - - all one step. My printer is a C6150, and it worked like a charm!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Eric Putra (2/15/08 1:25 AM) reply + / -
hi, my 3110 always shows paper jam although no paper jammed
I have checked everywhere, no paper jammed.
any solution, thank you

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (2/17/08 3:24 AM) reply + / -
Another HP printer saved from the scrapyard!

Many thanks for the reset code.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (2/21/08 12:45 PM) reply + / -
LEGEND !!! Ink System Failure - Hp told me to get a new printer! used this reset code - its like having a new printer!!!

Thanks!

J

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by lennyd (2/21/08 2:20 PM) reply + / -
It took FIVE TRIES to reset, but it finally worked and my 3210 is finaly back in action. BTW...this is the second time this has happened to me and both times it happened after I replaced an HP cartridge with a generic one. Not sure there's a direct correlation here but I'm only using HP carts from this point forward...I don't want to take any chances on having this happen again.

Hp c5188 ink system failure by yogesh333 (3/10/08 11:59 PM) reply + / -
I have ink system failure in Hp c5188, i tried can.+ok+back+color buttons to reset my printer, but as i on printer it shows rainbow colors, my pressing start button it goes to mfg mode but do nothing, my printer is still in warrenty, but they said that u have used refilled cartridge and now warrnty is no more left even they have not returned the money i gave to them for extending warrenty

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by KenD (3/22/08 10:38 AM) reply + / -
Have a 3210 all in one - on my second printer in 2 years. The first had a problem feeding paper through and was replaced by HP FOC. The second printers shows that my yellow cartridge is empty despite changing it 3 times.

I've tried all the suggestions and the printer is still asking me to change the cartridge - if you are looking at buying an HP printer - take my advice and don't touch any printer where the cartridges are chipped.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by hp-printer-dave (3/23/08 11:09 PM) reply + / -
Hey ---- yogesh333---- if your listening, how did HP look through the phone line & determine that your printer had NON-HP ink in it??? They probably asked you & you thought you were beeing helpful by telling them you tried re-fills & then they slapped your hand with the info they asked you for. Now you know you always tell them you only use HP ink!!! If they replace the printer under warranty they require you to KEEP all your ink so it doesn't leak in shipping & you use it on your new printer --- everybody is happy. It is an ink tank that fits into the slot & probably was a true HP at one point so no foul telling them what they like hearing. As a note, it may have been a defective re-fill that caused your problems but maybe not. When HP tries to force you to buy only their ink it is like forcing a car buyer to only use Chevron Premium gas --- how can they get away with forcing you to buy only their consumable -- they can't. Call them back & try the warranty replacement again & if they say they have previous notes stating you told them you used re-fills, then you tell them you were mistaken by another printer you have & that this one fails with true HP ink. Don't listen to any junk they give you but politely demand a case # & write it down. Then call 1-877-917-4380 Ext.95 & ask for an "All in One Case Manager" --- they will ask you for the case # & will get you to a case manager.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (3/25/08 5:44 AM) reply + / -
Hi. I have just had my HP3310 printer fail on me. I get the ink system failure message and it looks like the pump for the yellow ink has failed. Can the gears be obtained to repair this model ? I have only had the printer a short time and it has hardly been used. It was expensive so I'm not too keen to just throw the money way. Please let me know if you can obtain the parts for me ... thanks.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by hp-printer-dave (3/25/08 11:17 PM) reply + / -
Try calling HP at 1-800-474-6836 & after getting someone on the phone tell them your issue & always say you use ONLY true HP ink because if the little cartridge fits in the slot then it is true & works!!! Your printer may be under HP's 1 year warranty but if not, HP has a "Service Ticket" that extends the warranty fir this exact problem". DO NOT NOT NOT pay them any money or accept an upgrade for a cost, just politely but firmly ask for a case #. If they balk, be patient & ask again & get the case # & say "thanks, thats all I need". Then call 1-877-917-4380 ext.95 & ask for "an all in one case manager" & give them your case #. ----- They should be polite & helpful & supportive like the old HP we used to know & love. Hope you get the help you need. Let us know.

Re: Hp D7160 Ink System Failure by Angry_Mike (3/27/08 3:35 PM) reply + / -
Any clues on RESET code for D7160? Anyone?

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Duplex74 (3/28/08 4:47 AM) reply + / -
Hello, we have several HP 3110 we did not get "ink system failure" but black ink does not leave more and only with HP OEM cartridges and only black ink which does not leave more.

With the other colors we have absolutely no problems.
Have you got an idea?

Thanks in advance

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Angry_Mike (3/28/08 5:41 AM) reply + / -
Having gone through various hidden menus, my D7160 printer now shows up as a 3300 series printer (oh dear). Anyone with any clues as to how to reset the firmware / upgrade firmware, set printer model, much appreciated. For info, pressing cancel and on/off button, followed by left - ok - right sequence gets you into the System Menu, but I can't find a reset. NVM reset doesn't work - just gives message saying use "#9"??? What is that all about? Beware when using this menu, like I say, my printer is now showing up as a 3300 series!!!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Duplex74 (3/28/08 12:02 PM) reply + / -
Re, Hello, we have several HP Photosmart 3310 AND NOT HP Photosmart 3110 we did not get "ink system failure" but black ink does not leave more and only with HP OEM cartridges and only black ink which does not leave more.

With the other colors we have absolutely no problems.

I did several tests, but nothing to do, the dark not out but I saw something bizare. By pressing simultaneously on the Cancel button + OK I have two pages of "Extended Self Test Diagnosis." On these two pages, there is a lot of technical information. I wish that someone gives me information heading "Revision Information" of a HP Photosmart 3310 to compare with mine. Is this possible?
Have you got an idea?

Thanks in advance

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (4/1/08 8:27 AM) reply + / -
Hey ---- hp-printer-dave ---- ,,, my dad went to the service center of HP, they asked it by my dad and dad didn't know that they will deny for replacing pritner after knowing this. so, now they denied and even my all-in-one was in extended warranty for 2 more years.... we said them to repaid it and we'll pay for that.... but after 2-3 days they said...... "sorry, priternet is not being ok" bring it, but i guess they didn't open screw just ur troubleshooting command for resetting printer............. if now again i send my printer in HP service centre, but with diff. person..... will they can change ????????

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by rlittlep134 (4/5/08 3:44 AM) reply + / -
OK,the "RESET" procedure worked great on my 3210 but now my 7360 has the same dreaded "ink failure" 0xc18a0001. This thing has no OK,CANCEL,BLACK,COLOR buttons. Does anyone know the reset for this one yet?

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Duplex74 (edited 4/5/08 8:49 AM) reply + / -
rlittlep134, "Thank you Anonymous! I have been looking for that reset code for about a month. I had a customer's Photosmart 3110 with an Ink System Failure. After disassembly of the case, I found that the ink pump gear fell off, that is the white plastic assembly on the left side. I put the gear back on and put it all back together and it still had the error.
After holding down OK, Cancel, Black and Color buttons while turning it off, I turned it back on, it shut off and I turned it back on again. Sure enough, it did a maintenance cycle and it works again.
This thing hasn't printed since December but there were no missing lines and all the colors came through on the first print. These things must have a very good printhead, let's see an Epson do that!"

Re: Hp c5188 ink system failure by Duplex74 (4/9/08 10:42 AM) reply + / -
Reset the All-in-One to the factory default settings by using these instructions:
1. Unplug the power cable from printer when the printer is powered on.
2. Press and hold OK and HELP buttons while plugging in the power cord.
Now please unplug and re plug the power cable at the back of the All-in-One

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by hp-printer-dave (4/11/08 11:18 PM) reply + / -
HP support has lost its mind!!! 1 month ago I got a free replacement Photosmart 3210 because it stoped printing black though it was out of warranty. We spent hours diagnosing & trying all suggestions & finally they replaced it. This month I called HP & they say they NEVER heard of the problem & they NEVER replace these printers for free out of warranty????? This was a rep in the USA too. I said, "you did it for me last month". The person said "I am sorry but, we don't have a service ticket or note on this one & yours is 2 years old". --- I must have fallen through a worm hole & landed in an alternate reality. MOE are you out there --- is that realy you or a clone of yourself. MOE, if you say you never heard of "Fix Your Own Printer. Com" & you don't know anything about printers then I know I am in trouble & in a different reality!!! Where did the real HP go? How did we get to this point? How do we get back to reality?

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Duplex74 (edited 4/13/08 2:16 AM) reply + / -
I have two HP Photosmart 3310 AIO and C5180 AIO. Both printers have the problems of black ink that does not leave more - well-known problem. They were out of warranty. I tried all the key combinations known, but nothing to do. I decided to try to create a short circuit on the logic board. This worked at the two printers, it was longer on the C5180, but now I print well in black !!! Up when ... ?

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (4/13/08 2:05 PM) reply + / -
up when what?
Has anyone tried (after having the problem off 3310 not printing black, but printing all other colours) the CISS print system, I have this to install on one of my printers, but do not know whether to try it out on this one? Any advice?

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Duplex74 (4/14/08 1:45 AM) reply + / -
Until the next problem. Some users do not want a system CISS but just a printer that works properly.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (4/14/08 8:53 AM) reply + / -
please do not think for one moment that I am selling the CISS system, I bought it as a last resort to try to get my printer working, as I have tried my hardest for the last few months to get a service manual for my 3310 all-in-one. packed up as I said previously at 14 months. I ended up getting another printer (HP7280) as I need a printer for my business and could not find a solution to the other. I have yet to unpack the CISS ink system as I am worrried about doing further damage to an already defunct printer, and like a lot of other correspondance on this site I am looking for answers not being a technical wiz like you.

Re: Hp c5188 ink system failure by Anonymous (4/24/08 5:45 PM) reply + / -
That is not true...

The warranty on your cartridges may have been voided but the warranty of your printer is still good. Dispute that. Ask for a supervisor or if that doesn't work, ask for a case manager.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by neilybonks (4/25/08 7:45 AM) reply + / -
I am in UK
My 3110 takes region 2 - 363 cartridges
Whilst in US I bought 02 - region 1 cartridge

Contacted HP -all I got for my trouble was very expensive music.

How do I convert my machine to take 02

IF I can are 02 and 363 interchangeable ?

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (4/25/08 8:48 AM) reply + / -
Further to the above I understand HP make all their profits from ink-to preserve this they realised the dollar/euro/pound exchange rate would have a massive effect on their sales and to prevent europeans from purchasing the ink at a much cheaper price in US (I paid half the price it would have cost me in UK) they designed software to identify the country of origin.

I have been told they can alter the software on the printer to accept other regions-presumably if I moved to region 1.

Anyone aware of the download ? As I peviously stated my very expensive phone call to their customers services only resulted in very expensive music (not even nice to listen to)

Re: Re: Hp D7160 Ink System Failure by fremo (5/5/08 7:35 PM) reply + / -
I have a c6150 With It turned on I unpluged it and held down ok and help buttons and pluged it back in and continued to hold them till it did a hard reset like a min or two then it turned off so turn it back on and i will go thru a 10 min cycle and then it worked hope this helps

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by lamposj (5/12/08 1:56 PM) reply + / -
I have a 3310. Thanks for the quick fix. HP wasn't much help.
They just wanted to sell me a different model, of course it was a reconditioned one for $200.00.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (5/24/08 1:55 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so much for this

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by ro1999 (5/26/08 5:22 PM) reply + / -
After experiencing the "ink system failure" issue on my Photosmart 3110 and being told by no fewer than 3 HP reps that my best alternative was to purchase a discounted replacement from HP (at a price higher than the going rate online) I found the "OK," "Cancel," "Black," and "Color" reset solution on this site. I restarted my printer, and now it works.

I am absolutely outraged and am seriously considering a class action lawsuit. I am looking for people who trashed their Photosmart after getting an ink system failure message and after being told by HP that it was a hardware failure. If you fit this description and you're interested, send a message to HPinksystemfailure@gmail.com.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by jdardiff62 (6/3/08 5:06 PM) reply + / -
I have a D7100 printer with the same ink system failure message. I tried to hold down the print and power button at the same time but, it did not work (the printer turns off and then turns back on with the same message). I have tried unplugging the power from the back and the wall.

Can anyone tell me how to get into mfg mode on the D7100? or how to reset the printer? I cannot make the message go away.

Thanks

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by moe (6/3/08 5:17 PM) reply + / -
Try a search on "ink system failure". Here's one result, have no idea what model it is for. http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/56386

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (6/3/08 5:20 PM) reply + / -
it is actually a d7160

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Angry_Mike (6/4/08 9:25 AM) reply + / -
Hi jdardiff32. I too have a D7160 with this problem. You will see if you look up through this thread that I've posted how to get to MFG Menu, but, even through the various menus, I've not yet seen anywhere where you can "RESET" the error message. If you do manage to get an answer on this, I'd be very grateful. There just has to be a way to return this printer to "one time initialization mode".

Please let me know of any progress that you have.

Mike.

Re: Hp D7160 Ink System Failure by Angry_Mike (6/17/08 8:56 AM) reply + / -
HOOOOOORRRRAAAAYYYYYYY !!!!!

This is a messy one - but it works.

I now have a working printer (HP D7160):

http://www.fixya.com/support/t451942-help

Horay for UPRon !!!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (6/23/08 1:27 PM) reply + / -
the "ok cancel black and color" power on worked for me! i cant believe that it is not the first thing you get on the hp web sight when you enter the error in.

Re: Re: Hp 7160 ink system failure by Angry_Mike (6/23/08 2:39 PM) reply + / -
See my previous post if you need to reset the D7160 (D7360).
Mike

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (6/29/08 7:11 AM) reply + / -
GOD!!!! Thanks a lot, you are ymy hero!! Anonymous, I love you.

Re: Hp 3110 auto shutdown by Whats going on (8/3/08 12:03 AM) reply + / -
I Have had a HP Photosmart 3110 for about a year and a half, or im actually on my second one now in a year and a half. it is giving me the same fault as my previous one.

I switch it on and leave it on and then it will automatically shut down after 30minutes. then when it is switched back on it will wait 30 minutes then shutdown again.

Useless if you want to use it to receive faxes.

On my initial call to hp earlier this year they replaced printer at no charge after telling me to plug it into the wall uotlet by itself and deplug the computer but it then procedes to still do it.

I have tried some of the resets, Pushing the black, colour, cancel and ok keys. and i also did another one the 6 and #keys pull the power cord, that didnt do it either.

last time i spoke to HP they tried to tell me that my HP PC is incompatible with the printer. the Drivers are also downloaded from the website and are the most recent.

obviously im out of waranty and HP are pretty useless.

Does anybody have any ideas on this fault??????

or how to fix it????

Re: Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by Anonymous (8/4/08 1:07 PM) reply + / -
It took two times to reset, but it worked! Thanks for posting the information.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by imaster (edited 9/9/08 11:50 AM) reply + / -
" Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by neilybonks (4/25/08 3:45 PM) reply + / -
I am in UK
My 3110 takes region 2 - 363 cartridges
Whilst in US I bought 02 - region 1 cartridge

Contacted HP -all I got for my trouble was very expensive music.

How do I convert my machine to take 02

IF I can are 02 and 363 interchangeable ? "

I am having the same problem! Have found a solution for it. I tried the reset procedure, but didn't work just like the other user the computer is recognizing the printer as 3300.

Has anyone found any solution to this issue? Please help!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Peter Melvelle (9/10/08 4:31 AM) reply + / -
Twice I have had this annoying printer failure. The first time I had a printer service guy who could not find anything wrong with the printer. However I noticed that one of the actions he did was to clean the ink electrical contacts. The printer fired up OK

Anyway the error has occured again.
I tried the re-boot sequences a number of times without success.
Since the cartridges are connected in parallel, I wondered if any of the cartridge contacts reported not present or faulty to the printer processor it might respond with this error code.

So I wriggled all of the ink cartridges and printer came back on line and operated normally ie no error messages, just normal ops. Hope this helps.

Hp 3310 ink system failure (Error 0xc18a0107) by Paminflorida (9/24/08 1:25 PM) reply + / -
HP Photosmart 3310 All-in-one

I replaced 2 ink cartridges today and now I'm getting this:

Error msg on LED screen says: Ink system has failed. Unable to copy, receive faxes, or print. Refer to printer Documentation. Error: 0xc18a0107

Press OK

I have held down the OK, Start (Black/color) keys and the Cancel button all at the same time, while powering off to recycle it. I've done this twice. It's looked as through it was going to work until it gets done and it comes up with this screen info again!! UGH>>>>> What now?

I tried holding the *, & #, then entering seq, 1,2,3 and scrolling through the menu items, but there is no system configuration menu available. HELP PLEASE!!!

Re: Hp 7360 ink system failure by PUTTE (10/5/08 12:43 PM) reply + / -
*** Fix your HP Photosmart D7360 (Reset Code/Master Reset) ***

1- Turn off power and unplug from power source.

2- Open right side of printer (looking at the front).

3- Disconnect,by pulling gently, both white flat ribbon cables off the main circuit board.

4- Plug in power source and turn printer on. Wait till you get a error message and push "Ok".

5- Unplug power source.

6- Reconnect the flat ribbon cables by aligning and carefully pushing into the conectors on the main circuit board.

7- Plug in power source and turn printer on (Printer prepairing occurred.

8- voila, the nasty error message 0xc18a0001 "Ink System has Failed" is now gone.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Nelson Yee (10/18/08 6:26 AM) reply + / -
I have a HP3310 PhotoSmart printer, all singing and dancing in one that doesn't get black ink onto the paper. All other colors make it to the paper just not the black. No error messages displayed. Do the extended self test diagnostic check, have black ink on the title row only. All other colors are OK.
Took print head out and got cleaned, tried maintenance cycles, tried reset tricks (OK+Cancel+Black+Color shut down), tried cleaning solution (which is more expansive than HP ink, tried refillable cartridges, tried original HP cartridges….. you name it I had tried. Since Andyc had same problem in 2007 I had check this forum sounds like there were no solution for it yet. The only thing I did not tried is take it apart. Since I broke my water pipe last time and was advised if you are not a Plummer yourself do not do the pluming. Any good advice?

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by andyc1909 (10/18/08 9:39 AM) reply + / -
I suggest all the people with defective HP3310 contact me to organise a court case against HP as it is clear the product is defective.

I bought an out of warranty replacement and it has lasted barely six months before the same thing has happened. I dare say the replacement was a reconditioned one with the same problem.

HP will by now know the product was made with a defective part and are refusing to acknowledge it, even that there is a problem at all considering how many people have had this problem there should be something on there website about it but as yet nothing.

Contact me and when there are enough people I will begin proceedings against HP to reclaim our losses or be supplied with the printer we all expected - one that'll last for years all singing and dancing! Printers are not a yearly expenditure!!

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Nelson Yee (10/18/08 12:59 PM) reply + / -
Count me in, I did take the printer apart there were no problem inside. My printer still looks and runs new. The only problem is no black ink come out in printing. I agree with you the product is defective. We should sue HP for a defective product and give all user the headache to go through all these trouble to find their solution.
Nelson Yee

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by vlanthony (10/22/08 10:44 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so very much for everyone's listing here....I too had the same problem and contacted HP..they stated the problem could not be fixed...they wanted to sell me an upgraded refurbished model for $187.00. The quick fix worked!!! Please advise - why doesn't HP advise us of the same! Thanks again!!! Veronica

Re: Hp 3310 error after it trys to do maintenance by mexitalia23 (10/23/08 4:28 PM) reply + / -
Hi, this is my first time using this please help someone i have a photosmart 3310 but i did a reset and what happens know is that i get a message on the printer and it says device maintenance occurring donot disturb after it finishes doing that another message comes up and telling me that there is a error? While its doing the maintenance i hear a clicking noise inside i have opened the cover to check if anything is stuck but it is a clean please help.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by HP-Printer-Dave (10/23/08 10:25 PM) reply + / -
I have seen many of these (6) cartridge units fail in the ink system -- possibly 30 printers now. If your model faxes & scans then HP may replace it for FREE after they run you around the block several times to see if you will just give up on them. The clicking MAY, & I do say may be that the ink pump gear on the left side of the printer could have fallen off or is barely on & not turning the ink pump. You can't see it without taking off the left side plastic. Call HP at 800-474-6836 & request a FREE replacement printer & go through the 1/2 hour of hoops on the phone. Never pay them a dime because they know this is a faulty unit & have caused many people to buy new printers before they should have.

Re: Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by Anonymous (10/29/08 7:49 AM) reply + / -
I had the same problem . I E-mailed HP & talked to a couple of different techs . They all said get a new printer. So I bought a new printer . Problems ;I'm running Windows 98 ; The new one needed Windows 2000 or better . To made a long store short I would have ended up with a new computer too . The RESET worked fine & I am back up and RUNNING !

Thank you Anonymous ! R.Hero

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (11/1/08 11:57 AM) reply + / -
I am having the sam Ink System Failure with my Hp 3110. Therefore, I am interested in joining you to organise a court case against HP.

Thanks,

Fred Maciel

Re: Re: Hp 3310 error after it trys to do maintenance by Anonymous (11/11/08 5:46 PM) reply + / -
I have the same printer (3310) and it was the white ink pump gear on the left side of the printer that fell off. Remove the left side cover and you will see it sitting on the bottom of the case. It is driven by the gear towards the front of the printer. Slip the main gear (the one with the belt) off and install the white gear behind it. Then just reset it. Mine works like a charm now.

Mine failed 3 months after the warranty (15months) and HP pretty much told me to piss off or pay them more money. This happened 3-07. I just finally got tired of seeing it sit on my office floor and did som e new research and found this helpful thread. Thank you to all of the constructive posters you saved me big $$$.

Here is the log of my online conversation with HP:

Todd: For the service option the warranty would be for 90 days which is Upgradeable to 3 years
Mitch: How much is the 3 yr upgrade?
Todd: Just a moment let me recheck it.
Todd: The 3 years Extended Service plan would cost you $ 49.99
Todd: Would you like to for it?
Todd: Mitch, if you would like to purchase a New printer I can help you with that too.
Todd: I would suggest you to purchase a 3 years Extended Service plan if you would like purchase a New printer.
Mitch: Yeah I am kind of torn as to buy another HP because this one failed me so soon.
Todd: I understand the situation you are in now.
Mitch: That is a lot of money for a printer to break in 15months
Todd: However, I suggest you to purchase a Service plan with a 3 years extended service plan.
Mitch: I would expect better quality from HP
Todd: I am sorry for the inconvience caused to you.
Mitch: What is the cost for a comparable replacement?
Todd: Mitch, the total cost if you would like to go for a service plan is $169.99 + $ 49.99 = $ 219.98
Todd: If you would like to go for this option the warranty would be for 3 years
Mitch: You mentioned that you can also sell me a "new" printer. How much is a new printer like mine, with a 3 year plan?
Todd: If you come across any hardware issue with in 3 years the printer would be replaced overnight and the shipment would be free of cost.
Todd: Okay, let me check it out
Todd: Please stay with me.
Todd: Thank you for staying online with me.
Todd: The HP Photosmart C7180 All-in-One would cost you $359.99*
Todd: The Extende Service plan would cost you $ 49.99
Todd: The total cost would be 359.99* + 49.99 = $ 409.98
Todd: Please let me know if you would like to go for it ?
Mitch: Are there any significant differences between mine and this new printer
Todd: The Photosmart 3310 is replaced with the Photosmart C 7180
Todd: Mitch, would you like to have the features of new Photosmart c7180?
Mitch: What are they?
Todd: Here are the features.
Todd: • Print, scan, copy, and fax
• Print up to 31 pages per minute color, 32 black; photos as fast as 12 seconds
• Borderless and panorama printing
• Six individual inks
• Memory card slots
• 3.6" color display
• Automatic 4 x 6" paper tray
• Built-in wireless networking
• Negative and slide scanning (built-in adapter)
Mitch: Looks the same as the 3310
Mitch: Anything new?
Mitch: Is it more reliable than the 3310
Todd: Yes for sure
Todd: I am providing you with a 3 years Extended service plan to safe guard your investment.
Todd: Shall place a order for the New Photosmart C7180 ?
Todd: Are you with me ?
Mitch: No. I can’t see spending even more money with a company that provides low quality product for a premium price. I purchased what I thought was HP's top of the line AIO, and what I got was a 15 month old paper weight, with nothing more than HP's offer to take more of my money to fix a problem that they are well aware of. Poor business practice for sure. Todd, thank you for you help but I will not be doing business with HP again.
Todd: I apologize for inconvienence caused to you.
Todd: Mitch, I have provided you with the best price and also with the Extended Service plan as you are Loyal Customer toHP
Todd: If you come across any hardware issue we would be glad to replace the printer and it would be free of cost.
Todd: The shipment is also beared by HP.
Mitch: Had i purchased an extended warranty when I bought it I would pay nothing right now. The issue is that I purchased "top of the line" HP product so that I would not have to have my unit serviced at all. That is what I thought I was buying, a unit that I could count on. Not something that in just over a year I would have to replace, at my expense or not.
Todd: I understand the situation you are in,how ever I have provided you with the best possible options.
Mitch: I understand, you performed well, you employer however has not.
Todd: Thanks for understanding me.
Todd: Can I suggest you a best option right now ?
Mitch: I will be sure to post this conversation in as many opinion web sites and forums as possible as to mitigate the potential for HP to produce low quality products and sell to the public for a premium price.
Mitch: Thank you Todd.
Todd: You are welcome.
Todd: Is there any thing else I can assist you with?
Todd: Are we connected?
Todd: Please respond as a delay in response could cause a disconnection in our Chat session due to some tech

Re: Hp 3310 ink system failure (Error 0xc18a0107) by Anonymous (11/13/08 9:25 AM) reply + / -
The White gear fell off on the left side. Check my other post above for instructions on how to fix it.

Hp 3110 ink system failure by bobp (11/24/07 2:33) by Anonymous (11/17/08 1:55 PM) reply + / -
Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by bobp (11/24/07 2:33 PM) reply

Hi bobp

Absolutely Superb! Many thanks for this info.

After a loud cracking sound today, my Photosmart 3310 stopped working and showed the error message: Ink System Failure.

I tried the OK / CANCEL / BLACK / COLOUR and ON reset a few times only for the same error message and no working printer.

I follwed your info and after about 30-minutes got to the white plastic gear cog that had fallen off it's shaft on the pump behind the PSU.

Pushed this back on and put everything back together. Switched on and performed the software reset again and all is now working brilliantly.

Many thanks once again, the info is much appreciated.

Sanjmak.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (11/20/08 9:34 PM) reply + / -
Anonymous I could kiss you!
You are a dead set bloody genius!
Thank you so much!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Bulli (11/24/08 9:36 AM) reply + / -
Many thanks anonymous. I have a 3310 All-in-One Series and I got the "Ink System Failure" message. Pressing the ok, cancel, black and colour buttons reset the machine (on first turn off and on), and it appears to be ok now.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (11/24/08 8:51 PM) reply + / -
We have a 3210 that had the error message--ink system failure--we tried the HP instructions removing the cartridges, etc. Tried the Black/Color/Cancel/OK/ shut down--nothing worked. My husband "bit the bullet" and took it apart as per instructions on this site and voila--the white gear was laying at the bottom!!! He glued it back on-- he did the restart that HP calls a "soft restart" but still had the message. We tried over and over again, doing the color/black/cancel/ok shut down etc. FINALLY after many tries --we got "device maintenance" to start--after that the message went away and it is copying beautifully. THANK YOU--THANK YOU--THANK YOU!! We had almost given up, even after finding the gear was off and getting it back on and still having the error message--so don't give up too soon!! Don't know if there is a secret to getting "device maintenance" to start?

Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by PeteC (12/4/08 12:59 PM) reply + / -
Tried the reset method on my 3210xi and it worked beautifully.
Thanks a million!!!

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (12/5/08 1:59 PM) reply + / -
THANKS ANONOMOUS!! YOUR TIP HAS SAVED ME FROM A POSSIBLE BAD BUSINESS DECISION..I WAS READY TO THROW THIS THING IN THE DRINK, BUT I GOT ALL NEW INK AND I PRESSED THE OK, CANCEL, BLACK AND COLOR BUTTONS THE PRINTER RESET AND ALL IS WELL!! THANK YOU!!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (12/19/08 2:48 PM) reply + / -
C6180 works with the OK + Help button help down and taking the power out on the second reset.

Great forum and a million times better than ever calling HP. Will never take out extended warrenty again as it is a scam I believe...

Good luck all.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (12/22/08 4:09 AM) reply + / -
I have an HP3310 with your exact problem. Colors OK but black only prints on extended self test title row. Printer sat unused (used older HP photo printer) until 12/20/08 when a tech connected it to my wireless network. I replaced/tossed old ink and replaced with all new HP cartridges. HP online was helping and then cut me off; HP phone call tried to sell me a replacement model 7280 at a discounted 159.99 with 1 yr warranty. He said it was a hardware problem that couldn't be fixed. Have read all posts and believe HP must be aware of problems with this printer. I paid a big price for what has turned out to be a paperweight. Any updates?

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Peter.Melvelle (12/23/08 2:28 AM) reply + / -
My printer has not failed since I installed genuine cartridges but I make sure that I do not remove them until there is no ink. I have used non genuine since when I had no spares without trouble.

Removing the cartidges before they are empty seems to put the printer into a knot. I also make sure that there is good electrical contacts with each cartidge terminals every time I need to change them. I wipe them and gently wipe the printer contacts every time I change cartridges. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Diane Mary (12/23/08 9:16 AM) reply + / -
I can trick the black into printing when pressing Cancel and OK at the same time, but only the Headings print inside blue borders. The text of the report does not print. Nelson Yee's post on 10/18/08 mentions the exact same situation. On instructions from HP online help, I cleaned the black print contacts with distilled water. I know the black can print, but for some reason it doesn't. So, the test results just show the color blocks - no text. I notice when I go into the printer setup, the default "print all text in black" is disabled. I've tried changing that but the results are the same. I will try the reset mentioned by others for a related problem in the hope it will fix the black ink problem. If not, I will hook up another printer today. (I purchased a Canon wireless printer yesterday -- could not bring myself to purchase another HP after the way they handled this.) HP wants this printer in exchange for a refurbished replacement model. The "Help" kept saying it's a hardware problem and there is no fix -- so take their special deal. Will try the reset today, and then watch the forum for a possible solution.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by ppardi (12/24/08 3:41 PM) reply + / -
I tried everything suggested in this thread multiple times in an attempt to fix the "Ink System Error" on my C6150. Even got to the point of starting to take it apart. I got it working again by cleaning out the ink and air tubes for each ink cartridge.

There are two tubes for each cartridge. I believe the bottom one delivers the ink and the top one is an air intake. Regardless, I unbent a standard paperclip and ran it inside each tube twice cleaning the paperclip off with a tissue prior to each insert. After cleaning out each tube twice, I restarted the printer using the reset procedure in this thread and it started without the error.

Hope that helps someone.

Paul

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Out-of-warranty (12/26/08 3:31 AM) reply + / -
I have resolve this type of problem. I hope it helps you too. Try this link

Ink system failure

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Out-of-warranty (12/26/08 3:32 AM) reply + / -
sorry for the broken link: here it is

http://www.out-of-warranty.com

Re: Re: Hp 7360 ink system failure by Anonymous (12/28/08 12:27 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Putte,

I was getting ready to get a whole new printer (not HP 7360) before I came across this forum. My error code for my D7360 was Ink System Failure 0xc18a0206 but your procedure cleared the error message. I had already taken it apart & cleaned all the tubes (which was quite messy) but still kept getting the same error message until I tried your procedure.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (1/3/09 10:24 AM) reply + / -
thank you for the reset code it fixed it without even having to open the printer....

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure AND 3200 series! by denisef (1/8/09 9:52 PM) reply + / -
Mine is an HP Photsmart 3210xi All in one and after reading a fix from another fix-it site (that didn't work), their advice was, "if this doesn't work, your printer is shot, and you need a new one". Well, this reset code worked great, and thank you so much. All I can say is yippeee!! What a relief. I just didn't have the money to replace the ink and the printer too.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Pissed-off consumer (1/19/09 3:18 PM) reply + / -
I found this forum through Google. Thanks very much. I tried HP advice to remove cartridges etc: no-go. I took my 3310 completely apart and found nothing. I was about to boot the thing out my back door. Reset method worked great!

One question: WHY THE HELL DOESN'T HP PROVIDE THIS INFO?!
No excuse, they SUCK. All the people at this forum, including myself should have gotten this info at HP Support. Look at all the time wasted by us and consider how many people paid for repair or bought a new printer? WHOA!! I just answered my own question.

Greed will be one's downfall.

Re: Re: Hp 7360 ink system failure by GranDaddyo (2/20/09 1:34 AM) reply+1 + / -
I have a Photosmart D6160 which showed "Ink System Failure" message after changing one of the inks. After emails to HP service, they advised that it was a hardware failure and they could not help. However after following your advice and removing both ribbon cables my printer is fixed. Thanks for taking the time to post the solution.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (2/20/09 2:56 AM) reply + / -
Now on my second HP printer, as I felt that with the first (3310) the OX18..... issue came up and I had tried to use inks that were not hp could not get it back working, brought all new hp inks (£90.00) and it still did not work. so I wondered if it was my fault with trying new larger quantity non-hp inks. Furiously I went to a supplier to buy a non-hp printer, and unfortunately for what I wanted- colour copier, fax, scanner the only option was a newer version of the former (c7280) this time I took the extended warranty for 3 years and have two faults with this version already. A replacement for the first 7280 (as it was in the first year and standard practice in first year warranty anyway), now 11 months on and another problem has developed the extended warranty states(which i knew) that it would be sent off for repair. This is going to take a week -no replacenent in the meantime and i need to print everyday!! So it seems to me that the newer version is no better than the old, inks are extortionate and have just gone up in price, I will not be buying hp again but am very happy with the quality of print. Can someone (not a salesperson) please inform me of a good printer that produces a good result, fills the above requirements, and is not HP. Someone mentioned cannon please eleborate if poss. I must have spent £500 in ink this year so that is the cost of the initial outlay for the machine, I can live with that.

Re: Re: Hp c5188 ink system failure by Anonymous (3/4/09 3:31 PM) reply + / -
I did the reset on my printer all-in-one and it ran threw a 4 minute cycle it works great Thank you so much for the info. The kids are happy to print there homework for school, I owe you

Don P.S the error that came up was Oxc18a0001

Re: Re: Re: Hp D7160 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (3/4/09 3:37 PM) reply + / -
this reset really worked I ty so much for it my kids ty so muchto print there homework for school

ty ty ty ty ty ty tyy ty ty ty ty ty ty

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (3/20/09 1:28 PM) reply + / -
I don't understand why a guy who doesn't work for HP knows this and they don't. thanks so much, I was ready to get a new one, what a waste that would have been!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by kittie (3/31/09 11:49 PM) reply + / -
Thank god for blogs, google and smart people. I have a HP photosmark 3110 all in one printer. I love it works great, good colour even with non hp cartridges. THEN the dreaded Ink System Failure. I'm on HP Chat for 20 minutes with the tech just repeating the question. Then says I have to call the help line. That guys was even more useless, Tells me to clean cartridges, turn printer off. All of which I had already done. NOTHING. Then says he can't help.

Useless HP support people.

I was about to trash the printer - then googled and found this site. THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH.

I reset by holding down OK, Cancel, Colour and Black buttons and pressing off button. Then turned machine on. It took a few minutes to reset. Voila.

Printed a test page - Perfect
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure/repeat the reset! by SharpStick (edited 4/6/09 6:10 PM) reply + / -
Heyo.

I can't say this enough times, at least in regard to my recalcitrant 3310: RESET IT AS MANY TIMES AS NECESSARY! RESET IT UNTIL IT RESPONDS! RESET IT UNTIL IT WORKS!
One time might not work, neither may two or three.
If you have installed a battery block for using expired cartridges, you will have to do the reset too.
Refilling with non-HP ink doesn't seem to bother the printer, but the installation and removal and replacement of cartridges over and over again might, thus my point: RESET IT AS MANY TIMES AS NECESSARY.
The reset trick by Anonymous works great, but sometimes you need to do it more than once.

STICK your 3310 in a cannon and shoot it at Carly Fiorina's house

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by hpphotosmart 3210 me (4/7/09 9:27 AM) reply + / -
Hi, evryone i just wonder if some one here would know how can i take apart the HP Photosmart 3210 All-In-One InkJet Printer, i got to the part of the ink and the routher but i'am stock there can't find the way to put it apart....lol now i decided to put it back again on it's on way but i have a problem the main paiper clip is hard to put on what did i do wrong??? can anyone tell me how to put it back again?
thx....

Re: Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by Anonymous (4/18/09 4:51 PM) reply + / -
Wow! Thanks Matt. It worked!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by ex-kiwi (4/19/09 3:12 AM) reply + / -
Gidday

I bought a HP 3310 in late 2006 whilst living / working in UK ... was great for scanning and limited printing I did then ... then I moved back to NZ ... still no problems ... BUT ... ran out of ink ... oh boy ... what a palava trying to get the region changed so I could use the local HP 02 ink cartridges rather than the HP 363 I had in UK.

Anyway ... all was going well, but using a hell of a lot of ink printing photos ... so decided to invest in a CISS and thats when I ran into the "ink system failed" problem ... thanks anonymous for the tip on resetting printing ... gets it back up and running again.

Has anyone else used a CISS with an HP 3310 ?
===============================

For you information ...

try the following when using the * # and "special key combos" ...

123 - support
124 - underware
125 - transmit/monitor test
127 - MFG (watch your step here !!!)
329 - service (watch your step here !!!)

7664 - game (press OK to start)
=====================

Have fun !

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by theo spierings (5/3/09 11:08 PM) reply + / -
After spending 1 hour online with a hp technician who only could tell me in the end that it was a hardware problem i found this forum. I tried the reset and printer is working again.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by theo spierings (5/6/09 1:50 AM) reply + / -
I reset by holding down OK, Cancel, Colour and Black buttons That solfved the problrm on my 3110

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by ex-Kiwi (edited 5/6/09 6:30 AM) reply + / -
How to fix (albeit temporarily) an 'Ink System Failure' on HP 3310 ...

1) Turn printer on and wait for it to go thru its maintenance cycle (wish someone knew how to stop this happening EVERY time I turn printer on!!!) and come up with the ISF message

2) Press OK (in response to the message)

3) Press and HOLD together - OK, Cancel, Black and Colour keys (DO NOT RELEASE until printer has powered off ... ignore the ISF message that reappears and asks you to press OK)

4) Press ON button and release

5) Printer will shut down after about 15 seconds

6) Press ON button (printer will start up and then turn off again)

7) Press ON button (printer will display 'OOB NVM Reset' screen and ask you to enter Language and Country) ... then goes thru normal maintenance cycle etc etc

8) Message gone ... yippee ... now you can print again (only side effect of this procedure is that YOUR system setup entries (date / time etc etc) will have been lost)

9) If this did not work first time, retry, retry ... you might have to do it 3 or 4 times initially, mine now resets first time every time now I have got the hang of pressing all those buttons correctly

I have installed a CISS on my machine and so get this ISF message everytime I turn it on ... a small price to pay for the convenience of a CISS and ink at 1/50th the price that HP extort from it's customers.

Hp 3300 AIO internal battery? by delquattro (5/6/09 3:02 PM) reply + / -
After doing a successful reset, the ink level indicator said three of the inks that were only moments before, fine, were now empty. I've replaced them with un-opened new cartridges that I bought at Sam's and it is showing a question mark for three of the newly replaced inks.

Is there an internal battery in these printers? Maybe that will take care of the ink level indicator question marks?

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Diane Mary (5/9/09 3:07 PM) reply + / -
My HP 3110 would not print with black ink/text unless tricked into it. This forum was very helpful, but it wore me down. In anger, I purchased a Canon printer, which worked fine, but didn't really do everything the 3110 would have done if it had ever worked. I moved my HP 3110 to the garage so I wouldn't have to look at it. When moving the LEVEL printer, it spilled a large amount of black ink on the carpet. I believe the ink was pooled somewhere inside the printer and was related to the no-black-ink problem. It was almost as if the printer was marking it's territory as it left the home office.

Finally, I traded in the HP 3110 for a $50.00 rebate on a new printer at Staples. With eyes wide open, I purchased an HP Photosmart Premium wireless printer. There is no number on this printer, but it has one on the HP website. I also purchased an extended warranty from Staples and will deal with the store rather than HP if I have any problems. This printer does not use the same ink cartridges/system as the 3110, or I would not have purchased it. This system seems to work fine so far and, although I would have preferred dropping the 3110 from a tall building, the $50.00 Visa rebate card was a better choice. Good luck to all of you who are still struggling with your HP 3110. I have a large black stain on the carpet to remember those days.

Re: Re: Re: Hp D7160 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (5/25/09 11:33 PM) reply + / -
After endless attempts this was the one that fixed my 6150!

A simple two button push of OK & Cancel & an unplug. Thanks so much!

Keith

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (6/4/09 1:44 PM) reply + / -
I have a HP Photosmart 3310 all in one. The yellow inkjet stopped working. I spent a lot of time with HP online and when I was finished with them, I couldn't print at all. Their final answer was find a repair man or buy new. OMG, OMG, OMG! I was about to give up when I found this site and followed your suggestion. I had to turn my printer off 3 times but the third time was the charm. It did an extensive re-calibration but when it was finished, I was able to print the test report. I still can't believe it. I was about to give up and go buy a new printer. Thanks you soooooooo much!!!!

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (6/8/09 3:28 PM) reply + / -
procedure worked thanks!

HP C7180 ink system failure by cchen18 (6/10/09 3:28 PM) reply + / -
Victory!! The solutions posted did not work for my C7180, however I found one on www.inkbank.com.au that did work:

1) press * and # at the same time

2) press 1, 2, 3 and "support R0632M" should display

3) press > and "information menu" should display

4) press > and "configuration menu" should display

5) press OK and "hardware failure status" should display

6) press OK "failure status: clear". Press OK to clear

7) press CANCEL

8) press CANCEL

9) press CANCEL

10) turn printer off, unplug power cord for 2 minutues, plug cord back in then turn printer back on.

** Note, I did this with new ink cartridges, but I might try it with the old ones. Previously I was refilling the old ones and it worked fine for a while until this message started coming up. Not sure if this caused the problem in the first place or not.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by ex-Kiwi (6/14/09 3:53 AM) reply + / -
G'day Kad

I actually have an HP3310 ... not sure how similar it is to the HP3210.

Yes ... it used 363 cartridges when I lived in England and when I got to Philippines found that I needed 02 cartridges. Rang HP at Philippines and after some fluffing around got a code from them so that it changed the region and I could use the 02 cartridges.

When I orignally got the 3310, I seldom used it for printing as I was scanning heaps of photos and slides. Now I am now doing a lot more colour printing than before and find that they run out of ink PDQ (pretty damn quick)!!!

So I since invested in a CISS (continuous ink supply system) which turns out to not be the perfect solution after all, but at least gives me far more value for my money than the cartridges. Cost of this system and ink gives me about 40 times as much as the cartridges!!!

Main problem now is that I now keep getting an Ink System Failure every time I turn printer on, but have got used to this and can bypass the problem using the reset mentioned above quite quickly. I also leave the printer turned on during day so I don't have to keep resetting it. Occasionally, it seems to run dry after quite a lot of printing, but a quick maintenance cycle soon solves that.

Hope that helps, good luck, ex-Kiwi

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (6/16/09 9:07 PM) reply + / -
I have an HP 3210 and I found that holding down OK, Cancel, Black and Color buttons while turning it off didn't work. But pressing OK, Cancel, Black and Color buttons right after turning the printer on worked. (I don't check that email address often...)

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (6/18/09 10:22 AM) reply + / -
Thanks annonymous, it's fixed the problem. The response from HP is hopeless

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Beverly Robb (6/20/09 2:31 PM) reply + / -
It worked! Thank you!

Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by Anonymous (6/22/09 11:38 AM) reply + / -
I had a tech check out my printer a month ago when it starte making an awful noise and then gave me an ink system failure error. It was a gear that had slipped off. He fixed it up and reset the printer. A month later now, it's done the same thing. This time I took it apart myself, put the gear back on and reset the printer as per this site. Thanks a million... I'm up and running :D

Re: Re: Hp D7160 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (8/1/09 8:00 AM) reply + / -
Many many thanks Angry Mike for the link!!Had the same problem with my 7160. Got the right side off using 2 screwdrivers and brute force, various plastic bits went flying but heh, I got it off,disconnected white strips etc followed the rules. Now got my otherwise fantastic printer up and running again as good as new!!!! Was on the point of buying new one, you just saved me £££££££'s. Cheers. Bill

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by amys (8/7/09 6:09 PM) reply + / -
Does anyone have some ideas for a photosmart C6180? I'm getting the ink system failure message.

Re: Hp 3310 ink system failure by jkgizmo (9/15/09 10:22 AM) reply + / -
Well I took the unit completely apart, but found the gear was still attached. Everything looked fine. Although, I did notice a great deal of dried up ink inside the machine. I even took the belt off the pump and put it back on again. After putting the printer back together, I did the reset suggested turning off the printer and even while turning it on. The unit goes through the maintenance check and at times sounds like gears are slipping. Unfortunately, I still get the Ink Error Message 0xc05d0281.
Any other ideas out there?

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (9/26/09 12:33 PM) reply + / -
I tried the reset 30 times to no avail. I took my 3210 apart and got ink all over my hands from it running on the casing on the right hand side. It was dripping onto my desk too but that was not the problem; it was likely from it's self cleaning operations over the years. one of the nylon rockers had fallen off the print mechanism i saw it was partially split i replaced it and tried crazy-gluing it the first one was split too i crazy-glued it too. No gears were off. Everything looks fine. I saw a battery inside on a eprom chip but i didn't remove it. i went through the reset a few more times and it still won't reset. I have been using some after-market inks using expired ink cases. My Canadian inks are 02 Vivera. No luck with anything so far.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by mikadot (9/26/09 12:56 PM) reply + / -
I tried the reset 30 times to no avail. I took my 3210 apart and got ink all over my hands from it running on the casing on the right hand side. It was dripping onto my desk too but that was not the problem; it was likely from it's self cleaning operations over the years. one of the nylon rockers had fallen off the print mechanism i saw it was partially split i replaced it and tried crazy-gluing it the first one was split too i crazy-glued it too. No gears were off. Everything looks fine. I saw a battery inside on a eprom chip but i didn't remove it. i went through the reset a few more times and it still won't reset. I have been using some after-market inks using expired ink cases. My Canadian inks are 02 Vivera. No luck with anything so far.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Shelleyt16 (9/26/09 8:55 PM) reply + / -
Awesome! brilliant! - anonymous you are wonderful - I have a 3110 and got ink system failure message, and after findingthis page tried 1 time of pressing OK, cxl, black and colour at the same time as turning off ...and it WORKED!...Thank you thank you thank you!

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (10/19/09 7:16 PM) reply + / -
Worked like a charm. I was sure that I was in for a long and frustrating time trying to sort the problem but I was back to work in under 5 minutes. Thanks anonymous.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by James509 (11/4/09 8:13 PM) reply + / -
After hours on the phone with hp and every possible thing I could do before I went and got a new printer I tried this and it worked I am absolutely amazed Thanks!

Re: Re: Hp 3310 ink system failure by Anonymous (11/8/09 8:31 AM) reply + / -
Is there an answer out there for this 3310 issue?????
None of the suggestions in this thread post have helped and the gear never fell off.... I want to guess its the Ink Pump itself, but believe the time, cost and finding a pump out-way a new printer purchase.

Well I took the unit completely apart, but found the gear was still attached. Everything looked fine. Although, I did notice a great deal of dried up ink inside the machine. I even took the belt off the pump and put it back on again. After putting the printer back together, I did the reset suggested turning off the printer and even while turning it on. The unit goes through the maintenance check and at times sounds like gears are slipping. Unfortunately, I still get the Ink Error Message 0xc05d0281.
Any other ideas out there?

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by ex-kiwi (11/8/09 9:41 AM) reply + / -
Hi

Just googled your error number '0xc05d0281' and saw ...

"That's absolutely correct. The exact error message on the printer says "Ink System Failure. Error 0xc05d0281."You need a new printer for that kind of error. Actually there 3 different errors that you may encounter when installing brand new ink cartridges. The error that starts with 0xc18 and 0xc19, we can still recover the printer for that but only once. If the T/S is already done and was not able to resolve the problem, then that's the time that the printer needs to be replaced. For error 0xc05, ther only solution is to replace the printer. It means that the ink system has already been failed and cannot be recovered.

Jiffy Epe
HP Technical Support Representative"

This was at - http://www.fixya.com/support/t976933-error_code

Does not sound like good news :(

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by GeekStyle59 (11/14/09 3:47 PM) reply + / -
I have a 3210 and have tried the reset technique many times, but my printer still won't print magenta. (I never got a printer error or other info.)I was encouraged by the person above who had the same problem with the yellow inkjet, but it hasn't yet worked for me. All the 10 tap test prints is a pale lavender where magenta should be. The printer's self test report prints neither magenta nor Lt. magenta. (And the 10 tap test prints dark enough under Lt. magenta that I wonder if it's actually magenta. Lord knows, the magenta ink is going SOMEWHERE!)

HP support, after many hours of trying this and that finally had me fax the scan of the 10 tap test to them and told me it is a hardware problem. I emailed back that I wanted to know what they had learned from the 10 tap, believing that they know what the problem is, but just didn't want to tell me. They responded that it "could be the print head" and made the upgrade offer.

Is there any tubing in these things like in the Epsons? If so, is it perhaps clogged? The problem happened after I loaded all new cartridges. I even bought a new magenta, but that changed nothing. Do you think that applying print head cleaner by syringe to the two things which stick out of the printer into the cartridge would help?

Anything else I can try?

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (11/17/09 1:00 PM) reply + / -
thanks so much..it worked

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by welsh paulus (11/19/09 11:15 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so much.Annon you are a diamond! By the way do you work for hp by chance? Just tried this on mine after taking it to local computer shop who could do nothing with it and HEY PRESTO worked straight away! Thanks again.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by stelic (11/20/09 12:37 PM) reply + / -
I've got a Photosmart D6160 printer out of order that says :,,ink system failure''. Best regards, Stelian.

Re: Re: Hp 7360 ink system failure by Anonymous (11/20/09 10:29 PM) reply + / -
hello Putte, the procedure works to perfection but I ask you something, I buy a CISS for this model (HP D7360) and error message appears 0xc 18a0107 I tried to do the same procedure works but after the first printing reappears There is a way to work with this CISS model?

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Sartor (11/26/09 8:32 PM) reply + / -
I have a HP 3210 showing ink system failure - Error Oxc18a0001. I have tried a number of times to reset by pressing OK,cancel,black,colour buttons while turning off but no luck. The problem occurred immediately after installing a compatible cartridge.
Is there anything else I can do before buying a replacement printer and could the problem have been caused by using non HP cartridges? I would appreciate any advice.

Re: Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by Anonymous (11/28/09 7:10 PM) reply + / -
which is the black and color button can not find it on my hp 8250

Re: Re: Hp c5188 ink system failure by pesquisa (11/30/09 6:30 AM) reply + / -
This (OK-Help procedure) worked on the Photosmart C5180 All-in-one. The Cancel-OK-Black-Color did not.

Thanks for posting the instructions!

Re: Re: Hp 7360 ink system failure by Anonymous (11/30/09 2:20 PM) reply + / -
PUTTE: Your directions were right on! I had a little trouble removing the plastic cover on the right side, but after that no problems. The printer works great now! The plastic cover has pop out connectors. It went back together with no problem. I cleaned the contact points where each of the ink pods connect and also cleaned the track rod that the head runs back and fourth on with rubbing alcohol. Thanks again.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by juver907 (12/1/09 4:49 AM) reply + / -
If you want to resolve any cartridge related problems, it's a good idea to use CISS (especially if you print a lot).Continuous ink supply system is a new product released only a few years ago it is only beginning to become popular around the world. It’s a device for minimizing printing expenses when using an ink-jet printer, an all-in-one device or a plotter; use it instead of buying new cartridges (especially good if you print a lot of high quality material in color). CISS printing quality differs only 2-5% from original cartridge quality, but economy is 1000%

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by ex-kiwi (12/2/09 3:30 AM) reply + / -
CISS is great ... but HP 3310 objects to me using it ... I get the 'ink system failure' message every time I turn printer on ... but that's a small price to pay for the HUGE savings in printer ink that I am getting

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by gr81allday (12/6/09 9:56 AM) reply + / -
AWESOME!! this post saved me from buying a new printer. The "OK, Cancel, Black, COlor" reset worked great!!! my printer is the Photosmart 3310 and its just the best...thks soooo much for this thread!!!!!!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by tboostbug (12/21/09 1:43 PM) reply + / -
OH MY GOSH! I looked and looked on the HP website to no avail, then I found this thread-- It worked! The "hold down the OK, cancel, black, & color buttons while turning off" did the trick! I thought I was going to spend big bucks on this thing... thanks so much!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Ibolya (12/22/09 4:00 AM) reply + / -
I get the ink system failure Oxc 18a0307, I tried technical support, all the the reset procedures Hp and you suggested but unfortunately I still cannot get my Hp 3110 printer working this error message is persistant. I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could help me getting this printer working.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by anonymous (12/26/09 12:05 PM) reply + / -
I too had the ink system failure issue on a hp 3310. I tried the "OK" + "Cancel" + "Black" + "Colour" procedure to reset - that did the reset but didn't fix the issue.

I then followed the brief instructions for taking a look at the ink pump. I found this bit quite difficult but to help the novices (like me) out there:

NB. Make sure to power off printer and remove power cable.

1. If you're looking at the front (as in the display end) remove the small L-shaped bit to the left (sits under and to the left of the vivera sticker). I think this bit just clips off but can't be sure cos I lost it - oh well.
2. Take off the left side panel (couple of screws in that, including for the power socket cover, and some clips). You can then slide the power supply unit off.
3. Take of the front right bit that covers the sd card slots.
4. Take of the right side panel.
5. Remove the rear panel.
6. Take off the photo-copier hinged lid (first disconnect the cable that comes from it) and as you lift the hinged lid straight up you'll need to put a flat nosed screw-driver down a couple of slots at the back of it to release a couple of catches.
7. Then raise the main hinged unit as though you are going to replace the ink cartridges. However, you'll notice that where the hinges are attached to the top unit you'll be able to press some clips and slide off the top unit. Before you slide off the top unit though you'll notice some cables connected at the back that will need to be removed - be very gentle with these.
8. Once the top unit is off you should be able to unscrew the hinges and slide them up and off.
9. There are 4 more screws to remove on the black cover remaining, take them out and the cover should come off nicely.

At this point I understood from the other posts that the ink pump was the white thing at the front left. This wasn't the actual problem for me. On the right hand side there are two small white cogs that attach to a black arm which seems part of another pump type mechanism. One of the white cogs has a little white peg coming out of it, which should be stuck in the black arm. It wasn't on my printer, I put it back in, put the printer back together, ran the reset as described previously and hey presto, a fully functioning printer.

Thanks to everyone else who put in previous posts, they really helped.

Ta

M

Re: Re: Re: Hp D7160 Ink System Failure by lilfitz (1/5/10 7:45 AM) reply + / -
This helped, thanks so much. Holding down the help and ok buttons while plugging the power cord back in. I had to hold it down for about a minute then it shut itself down and when i turned it on it did a full reset. Holding the ok, cancel, black and color buttons didn't work on my version which is a C5180 all in one.

Re: Hp C5180 ink system failure by Anonymous (1/7/10 3:32 PM) reply + / -
error code oxc19a0022

Re: HpPhotosmart c6150 ink system failure by sllane (1/9/10 10:15 AM) reply + / -
I am at my wits end with this Ink system failure. Afraid to put any more money into this thing and a very unsatsfied Customer!!!! I bought 4 of these and they all are doing the same thing at the same time frame!!! I at one time was suggesting people to use these due to the ink capacity and print quality, now I am having second thoughts. It sounds as if the better business bureau needs to get involved. Cartridges that expire, who ever heard of such a thing, especially when they are in use!!! and Ink system failure. I tried the reset holding OK/cancel/black/color buttons down same time to reset, my son called HP customer service on his and got the runaround.Also tried turning it off. Anyone got anything else I can try? If this can't be fixed I will no longer us HP that is for sure

Hp 3210 ink system failure by sammyj (1/10/10 3:41 AM) reply + / -
Hi Sartor from 11/26/09, did you get any info. I too have found this blog and tried may times to reset (ok,cancel,black,color), all the different varieties, took it all apart, found everything tight and functioning.Thanks
SammyJ

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Domingos Costa (1/12/10 1:33 PM) reply + / -
Follow the steps ( Reset Printer):

1st - totally Turn off the printer;
2nd - Press the key (9) and (#) at the same time and turn on the printer;
3rd - hold until the printer to turn off
4th - turn on the printer
5th - Ok, is working

Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by Anonymous (1/13/10 4:16 AM) reply + / -
Hi sammyj(1/10/10). Still no luck in reviving my HP3210. Domingos Costa(1/12/10) suggested steps by pressing 9 and # but I don't have a # on my printer. Still waiting for some kind soul to come up with a resuscitation kit.

3210 ink failures by sammyj (edited 1/13/10 9:20 PM) reply + / -
Domingos Costa 1/12/10 thanks for the reply, the 3110 seems very different from the 3210. there is no # on the 3210.

I asked HP support if there was a master reset and they walked me through a "reset" -
1)"unplug printer (power),
2)hold down 'ok' & 'cancel', keep buttons held down,
3)plug power back in,
4)hold buttons until printer turns its self off.
5)Release buttons, turn back on with 'on' button,
6)system should be in NBM Reset.
this didn't help me but it is something they offered.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by psrking (1/18/10 12:50 PM) reply + / -
Thanks to all for the helpful information. The only thing I discovered while dis-assembling the unit to get to the ink pump wheel (which was off on my unit), was that you really don't need to take off the entire top cover of the unit to get to it. The left front quarter panel and the left side panel, the back plate and a machine screw on the top left middle should allow you access to remove the power supply and the mounting plate. The gear wheel in question is behind the big black pulley wheel towards the front of the unit. Had I known this ahead of time, I could have fixed the problem in about 10 minutes, instead of the hour and a half I spent. Thanks again......

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (1/29/10 6:11 PM) reply + / -
Have an HP C5180 Printer got the 0xc18a0206 error message!! After being online with HP customer support for over an hour I was waiting for him to finish trying to sell me another printer when I just for S & Gs searched and found this forum ... So I mentioned it to the guy and he said "well the reset for your printer is to unplug the printer while on the press OK & Help at the same time while plugging it back in .... Guess what ... Worked like a charm ...

Ps I told this clown 3 times that I had bought the printer a couple years ago and had only used it maybe twice and that I had just spent 70 dollars on ink for it and wasnt about to buy ANOTHER junk printer from HP ... He could have told me this reset feature from the begining but chose instead to try to sell me another printer .... He also said "This is a KNOWN PROBLEM" hmmmmmmm... then they should "KNOW" that this fixes it ... my guess is that they do and they choose to instead try to sell you another printer ...

Also when I first started printing the ink wasnt very clear ... its now clearing up (Im pritning a couple hundred page service manual I downloaded from the internet) and the pages are becoming very clear and crisp ....

Thanks to whoever posted the "fix" for this problem

Hp C7280 ink system failure by Anonymous (2/5/10 4:19 PM) reply + / -
I have the error 0xc18a0206 and have tried everything imaginable ad the problem will not fix...help me please...

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by loydelt (2/8/10 11:12 AM) reply + / -
I have the error 0xc18a0206 and have tried everything imaginable ad the problem will not fix...help me please...

Re: Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by fixed again (3/2/10 5:21 AM) reply + / -
thanks Anonymous

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by awaite (3/6/10 9:40 PM) reply + / -
this worked for me.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (3/14/10 7:43 AM) reply + / -
the reset works on the 3210! thank you!

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Michael pereira (3/14/10 6:58 PM) reply + / -
what can i say your a genius thanks

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (3/23/10 10:34 AM) reply + / -
This worked....thanks so much

Re: Hp 6150 ink system failure by perch5277 (3/24/10 8:59 AM) reply + / -
How do you reset?

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (3/24/10 7:25 PM) reply + / -
Thank you...you are a God Send.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonomus (4/8/10 11:35 AM) reply + / -
Suggested button push and off worked fine and reset was activated on the first ry. Printer working again after many earlier fix attemps. . Help from HP ask how much I wanted to spend rather than telling me how to reset and correcrt the proplem. I have suggestions for their public relations dept.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (4/10/10 1:58 PM) reply + / -
Listen, anonymous you just save the day, i was about to loose my cool with this printer everything i tried nothing worked so i decided to google and found your posting. thanks again.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (4/10/10 2:02 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the reset instructions. worked on the first try. been sitting her all morning trying to fix this.

Re: Hp C6150 ink system failure by dbmckay (4/13/10 7:53 AM) reply + / -
got error msg of 18A0001 HELP !!!

Re: Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by Anonymous (4/13/10 6:27 PM) reply + / -
Hey you are fab, thanks for the advice it works now.....cheers

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by tbean31 (4/17/10 7:26 PM) reply + / -
The plastic wheel has fallen off mine 2x in the past 5 years. But after putting it back on and restarting... works like it did the first day I brought it home!

Thanks for the tips!

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (4/24/10 7:19 PM) reply + / -
Thanks sooooooooooooooooooooooo much.
just saved me the cost of a new printer, there was no info in hsandbook.
Just googled and found your response.
great

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (4/29/10 8:09 PM) reply + / -
Worked for me too! Thanks.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (5/1/10 2:00 PM) reply + / -
I had to go through multiple tries of Solution 1
1. Unplug the power cord from printer.
2. Hold both o.k and Cancel simultaneously.
3. Plug the power cable while holding the buttons.

And Solution 2 the procedure of holding down OK, Cancel, Black and Color buttons while turning it off. I turned it back on, it shut off and I turned it back on again. Sure enough, it did a maintenance cycle and it works again.

Neither of these two worked the first time but after 3-4 times of doing both, TA DAH, it went through a lengthy maintenance cycle and then started working. Persistence paid off.

Note: Before it started working again for me the time and dates were all set at 0 but when it finally reset completely it had the correct time and date. (I think there must be some magic in these system resets and you have to be pure of heart for them to work.)

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (5/10/10 11:45 AM) reply + / -
Thanks so much!

It worked just like that. Question though what do you mean by "second reset". I had done a number of other things people suggested and had not worked. So with your advoce I simply held the buttons youiu advised and turned off the printer while holding them down. Did I miss something?

Thanks again.

Cal

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (5/15/10 12:25 AM) reply + / -
thanks mate, I was about to go and purchase new printer after weeks of not having a working printer, tried your fix and it worked, thanks again
just a note:
for me the problem started when I installed non-geniune ink from China, I guess I wont do that again.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (6/2/10 6:19 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Anon
After numerous attempts at repairing,tried your reset.
WORKS LIKE A CHARM !!!!!

Would suggest anyone to give it a bash!!

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Anonymous (6/2/10 6:25 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Anon
After numerous attempts at repairing,tried your reset.
WORKS LIKE A CHARM !!!!!

Would suggest anyone to give it a bash!!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Char (6/8/10 7:42 AM) reply + / -
THANKS! The suggestion given by Anonymous on 3/7/07 worked perfectly for me on 6\7\2010.

I have a four-year old HP Photosmart 3210 all-in-one that I dearly love! It started having the ink system failure yesterday. I tried every trouble shooting suggestion given by HP.com and the HP Solutions Center. Nothing worked. I even called a couple of places in town, but no one services printers anymore. I then got out the store ads looking for a new one.

This morning I found this site and my problem was solved!! It worked the first time. The only thing I didn't do was put in new cartridges. I am a very happy person.

I followed these instructions: Reset the system by holding down the OK, Cancel, Black, and Color buttons down at the same time and turn the 3310 off. Keep holding the buttons down until the printer shuts off and the turn it back on. You will have to turn the printer off twice and then it will recalibrate. Make sure you have new cartridges in the printer so that it can reset.

Thank you again Anonymous!! You saved the day and a lot of money.

Re: Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by jcmcburney (6/8/10 12:30 PM) reply + / -
This absolutely saved me from losin the printer. It works and I'm surprised HP doesn't make it the SE reset code available online. It also worked on my Photosmart 2610.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by LarsL (6/13/10 9:01 AM) reply + / -
Hi,

I followed these actions for my old HP 3310 (Bought 20069:

"Reset the system by holding down the OK, Cancel, Black, and Color buttons down at the same time and turn the 3310 off. Keep holding the buttons down until the printer shuts off and the turn it back on. You will have to turn the printer off twice and then it will recalibrate. Make sure you have new cartiges in the printer so that it can reset. Good Luck!"

Now it works perfect again!

It had worked just fine over the years, but was resting since 6 months. Restarting it was simple at first, just replacing the color cartridges the unit refused to use, but then the error code 0xc18a0206 appeared.

Thanks, you have spared me a lot of headache!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by WineFlirt (7/2/10 9:32 AM) reply + / -
I appreciate your encouragement, but I have exhausted every resource I know for resolving this wireless loss issue. Can you give me guidance as to where else I might go to get a solution: Here's my original post:

Has anyone addressed the problem of completely losing the wireless capability after this hard reset? Printer now prints with ethernet cord, but not wirelessly. I am glued to my home office for printing now, where I use to click on "print" on my laptop from the kitchen and my printer would print in my office. I have contacted Bob Rankin, Leo Leport, HP. No one knows. Please respond with solution. Thank you! Don't want to buy another printer just to get wireless.
Here's my original post:

After this hard reset, I WANT MY WIRELESS CAPABILITY BACK! That is precisely the reason that I bought this HP C6180. The hard reset method does get rid of the Ink Failure and Improper Shutdown Error Messages, but I completely lose wireless capability. As soon as I re-initiate my wireless connection, my printer reverts to a Improper Shutdown message. I have not been able to find any solution offered online after hours of research. Does anyone know how to get wireless capability back on this printer?

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Ibolya (7/10/10 4:42 AM) reply + / -
Unfortunately I hit another Ink System Failure on my 3110 printer this time it is Oxc18a0001. I could see that other panellists managed to get their printers working with the same ISF message. I tried all the suggested resets without much luck. It goes through the reset, but at the end the ISF message appears, cannot print, copy, scan or fax. Also after the calibration the Copy button lights up on it, there is no chance of turning that off. I was in the middle of printing when it konked out on me. I have original HP inks in the printer, I just invested nearly $200 AUD in 2 sets of 6 HP cartridges couple of days ago. I could have bought a brand new printer, inks included for half the price. HP is unhelpful as it is out of Warranty.Please is there anybody out there who can help me with suggestions to get this printer working.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Neewok (8/5/10 3:10 PM) reply + / -
Hi bobp; excuse-me to ask details for instructions you posted more than 3 years ago.
I recovered today (a guy working in my town's public drop off gave it to me) a Photosmart HP 3310 that someone got rid of, probably because of this "ink system failure" reason.
Since resetting the printer to factory defaults didn't work, I took the printer apart as you suggested. The problem was indeed with the pump gear that had fallen apart.
I fixed it; but I find very hard to reconnect the scanner and control panel to the logic board, as the ribbon cables and connector are very short.
Any hint on this ?

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by j covello (8/24/10 1:37 AM) reply + / -
i've had two 3310's with this problem, i'm in

Re: HP C7180 ink system failure- and C7250 by Terri Williams (8/27/10 10:25 AM) reply + / -
This fix posted by cchen on 6/10/09 worked for my C7250. Thanks SO much. I was sure my printer had real mechanical problems just by the clanking noises going on, but after trying this fix it now works like new. Whew! Dodged a hundred dollar bullet on that one.
Note....I also replaced my low ink cartridges before trying the fix.
Note 2...The menu displays were a bit different, but by scrolling through the choices I found ones that were similar.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Driller (8/31/10 12:51 PM) reply + / -
The reset worked great. Hold the four buttons, then press the off button, then it comes on and turns off. Hit power button and the printer works great.

My question is, who in their right mind would come up with this kind of reset? Were the high or just wanted to mess with me? Thanks for your help....

Eddie

Re: Re: Hp c5188 ink system failure by GKDJ (9/20/10 12:12 PM) reply + / -
I messed around all day trying different things until I came upon this post. It takes about 2 minutes and it fixed this issue!

Thanks for your help!! :)

Re: Hp 3210 magenta in failue by brumbrum (9/27/10 1:59 AM) reply + / -
I have no ink failure report and all cartridges are HP and full. 1 day the printer stopped printing both magentas (all others ok). I have tried all the resets and cleaning etc but to no avail.On the extended self test both colours print but back to front. On print test page there is no colour. HP no help. Please help

Fixed Photosmart C6180 by RayVak (10/12/10 5:10 PM) reply + / -
Okay everyone;

I just hung-up talking to a nice gentleman in India. All printers are different but this is what he told me to do and it worked on my
Ink Failre.

1. Turn system Off
2. Turn system On
3. under the telephone numbers press * (under # 7 ) and # (under # 9) to make it clear press both * and # simultaneously for 2 seconds. Then you will see the some factory setting on the LCD
4. Press the right -> arrow key till you see system configuration.
5. When you see a message about a factory failure go up or down until you see: clear Factory (generated) Failure.
6. Press OK
7. The message should go away.
8. Click Cancel or X till it goes back to the original messge.
9. turn the system off, and then on.

Good Luck

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by MushyP (11/15/10 3:17 AM) reply + / -
Excellent post. Thanks. Fixed now.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Richard123vmt (1/3/11 10:54 PM) reply + / -
Just like to join those expressing gratitiude to Anonymous. Mine is a 3210xi and I had just done work on the hinges necessitating reinstalling the ribbon cables in the back. More pprecisely the hinges for the ink door were both broken so that the machine worked but the entire top of the machine could be pulled off--yanking the ribbon cables. I epoxied the hinge parts ( good ole JB Weld). I eventually got the ribbons installed but not without a lot of wear to them. I thought that might be my trouble when I got the Ink System Failure code. The recommended turn-off reset did nothing of course. So I am quite delighted to have fixed the whole problem and able to print out a test report. Now my only trouble is one empty cartridge.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Jim Haag (1/7/11 4:04 AM) reply + / -
Thanks to Anonymous for fixing my HP 3010 printer system failure (error OXL18a0001). Yesterday, I spoke to a HP technician in India. He told me that my printer was dead and that this was to be expected after a four and one-half year life. Then he told me about the great deal I could get if I bought a new premium Touchsmart printer through him -- a $300 retail unit he would give me for $170 with free shipping and a 2 year warranty. I was almost sold but had quams about this pressured sales approach and his simplistic analysis. Thank God, I decided to do some more research and found this web page. Jim Haag

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by shweflen (1/24/11 1:36 PM) reply + / -
I have an HP 3310 all-in-one printer. Neither of the magentas seem to be printing. When I print the self diagnostic test I don't get either a light magenta or magenta block printed. However, when I print the extended self diagnostic test (OK & cancel buttons together) both blocks do print. I have tried the reset code (OK, cancel, black and color buttons) but what I get is the extended self diagostic test. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by HAPPYPRINTERMAN (1/27/11 1:47 PM) reply + / -
Thanks to Anonymous my 3110 is running again
oxc18a0307 ink system failure came up and tried another fix failed looked at replacing then saw and tried your solution and fixed it
Thanks again one very HAPPYPRINTERMAN cheers

Re: Re: Hp 3310 error after it trys to do maintenance by Lina_ (2/2/11 7:36 AM) reply + / -
Hi! I have the same problem as you do: strange noise coming from the mashine, then the error message appears asking to pres OK. If I press the button, all noise come back! I am getting crazy! Could you, please, let me know if you find the solution? Many thanks!

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Bigj (3/6/11 9:21 AM) reply + / -
We have the sam problem my color is missing

Re: Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Bigj (3/6/11 9:32 AM) reply + / -
Hi anonymous,

I have a problem with my printer 3310 all in one
my 4 ink is disappear upon printing i tried already align printer and clean printhead but its still the same

diagnostic test report still missing

only black is there and yellow becomes orange the rest is missing

Ink cartridge are newly installed.

Pls help me what to do

Tnx for your help

Regards,

BigJ

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by ads67 (3/6/11 7:33 PM) reply + / -
hi all,

i too am having the issue (ink system failure Error 0xc05d0281) that many have posted about. i've attempted the reset without any luck. i will continue to follow guidance that i'm receiving from this site with hopes of resolving my issue. the next step is to take the printer apart to see if the pump is the issue. i'm now waiting on instructions on how to take the cover off. my printer is out of warranty and i dare call hp, based on the response that many have received when doing so. so i will soldier on and attempt to resolve myself. if unsuccessful, i'll then have to decide if a) call hp to see what my options are ie upgrade b) part ways with it (it's hard to part when the device looks like new)

as for the class action ...if you still need people to come forward with their complaints count me in.

in closing, i have another hp printer 2610 that i purchased a couple years before 3310 that's still working like a charm. so, there might be some truth to hp having a dud on their hand with the 3310.

ads

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Goose24 (3/8/11 10:47 AM) reply + / -
I have been trying the reset all morning (OK,Cancel,Black,Color, Off). Tried it about five times because I didn't know what else to do. (Please refer to the definition of insanity) I happen to see another post that suggested hold the four buttons down while off and then turn ON. This worked!!! I don't know what the difference is, but thanks for the information and hopes this helps someone else.

Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by jeniham (4/3/11 5:51 PM) reply + / -
It took a couple times, but the reset worked (holding down ok, cancel, black and color while turning the printer off, then turning it back on). Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Re: Hp C 3180 by william d (4/23/11 1:18 AM) reply + / -
Every time I turn on the computer the test card runs - wasting litres of ink. I have scoured the internet for a helpline that will tell me how to turn off this automatic running of test card. If anyone can advise me I would be very grateful.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by ToCO (4/27/11 3:01 PM) reply + / -
THANK YOU, Anonymous! If you were here, I'd kiss you...I was getting so frustrated, and found your instructions, and I'm back in business!! Thank you again!!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by boseimmp (edited 5/4/11 1:56 PM) reply + / -
photosmart 3310 ink cartridge error. I've tried all of the solutions above. None of them work for me. any other ideas?
Please

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by weaslespit (7/6/11 11:37 PM) reply + / -
I also have neither of the magenta colors printing on the test page (Photosmart 3300). Both colors are full with brand new cartridges. No error messages.

Any help on this one? Is it software or hardware?

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Esmaeil (7/18/11 1:29 AM) reply + / -
Thanks buddy it works.
"Reset the system by holding down the OK, Cancel, Black, and Color buttons down at the same time and turn the 3310 off. Keep holding the buttons down until the printer shuts off and the turn it back on. You will have to turn the printer off -->twice<-- and then it will recalibrate.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by AuntyLeah (7/20/11 11:42 PM) reply + / -
Thank you so much anonymous!!

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by cantbemore (8/17/11 1:55 PM) reply + / -
I found the "ok,cancel, black and color" fix. Was having the "Ink System failure on my HP 3210. It happened after having a message of "OUT OF Date Ink". Bought all new ink, no help. Looked at HP site, no help. This one worked for me. Had to shut off printer while holding down the above keys, a little hard to do, but can be done. It took twice (as I was told it would) then it did a lengthly maintenace, error message gone and I printed.

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by cantbemore (8/17/11 1:57 PM) reply + / -
I found the "ok,cancel, black and color" fix. Was having the "Ink System failure on my HP 3210. It happened after having a message of "OUT OF Date Ink". Bought all new ink, no help. Looked at HP site, no help. This one worked for me. Had to shut off printer while holding down the above keys, a little hard to do, but can be done. It took twice (as I was told it would) then it did a lengthly maintenace, error message gone and I printed.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by ryahp (9/9/11 12:22 AM) reply + / -
My 3210 recently started spilling ink. I think cyan was the first showing on the paper edge. I rarely printed on this printer and have only used it in case I couldn't print anywhere else.
What I found when inspecting the print head's movements while printing with the scanner opened (press the metal piece in the hole at the right side of the opened printer to let it think it's closed) is that one of the two plastic double levers on the sides of the print head had a crack where it was fixed to the shaft going across the top of the head. This caused about half of the (air?) pumps or valves on the head to fail releasing residual pressure in the head which in turn was released by spilling ink from the nozzles and from other holes designed for air exchange.

In the end I managed to affix the cracked lever to the shaft with a c shaped piece of metal clipped over the cracked part and some epoxy glue. Of course I had to disassemble the Head to get most of the spilling ink off it (esp. the LED paper sensor) and the head cleaning parts, but I was in time to keep the spillage from seriously affecting the paper feed system and the table.

I'm more than skeptical whether this solution will last, I can now continue printing with this old printer, though I've never been really satisfied with the quality of this printer's photo prints.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by BenjaminK (9/28/11 8:55 AM) reply + / -
Success! The reset fixed my 3210 with an Ink System Failure 0xc18a0001. Thanks!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by ilim (10/31/11 8:37 PM) reply + / -
aing boga hp 8230. urang teh, teu bisa ngeprint kitu. aya tulisan nana "ink system failure" kumaha carana supados urang tiasa ngeprin deui.. aya nu bisa ngajawab teu??

Re: Hp c6150 ink system failure by lorelise (11/8/11 2:16 PM) reply + / -
Wow,I am actually soooo excited that it worked and I thank all the folks out there who are kind enough to share their knowledge just because! My husband is out of the country,so I figured I was just plain out of luck until he got back,since he is the fix it guy. I tried the ok,cancel,black and color hold down simultaneously while you turn the printer off.(not an easy trick in itself,how come no one complains about that but me!) I did that 3 or 4 times to no avail. Then I read another blog about cleaning the ink and air intake ports in the two little holes seen when you take out the ink cartridges.(paper clip suggested was too big for the hole so I used a thick sewing needle which worked fine). Then I tried the reset idea again,no luck. I still was not ready to give up! Then I read something posted specific to the 6150 and that suggested holding the ok and help buttons as you replug in the printer and voila, it came on without the ISF message.Not sure which thing done actually solved the problem or maybe all were necessary. Wow, I am impressed! Thanks all, I will definitely check out blogs for now on for any problems.Hopefully this won't make my husband feel inadequate when he gets back.(hah!)

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by harper (12/13/11 7:55 AM) reply + / -
One of my ink cartridge holders in the printer is damaged, the printer does not work unless all cartridges are in and working. Does any one know how to by pass the damaged cartridge holder so maybe I can just use the black ink, till I figure this out?

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Momomuffins (12/21/11 1:06 PM) reply + / -
I also have this error on my 3310 (0xc19a0013) and I tried that key combo trick several months ago when I tried researching it last and I do think after multiple tries it did end up printing but only briefly...VERY briefly. This printer is nearly brand new because my friend that gave it to me pretty much said "Here, take it...if you can fix it...yay for you." LOL She had barely used it either since you really kinda can't when its main function is not doing its job. I'm dying to see how this 3310 compares to my trusty ol' Canon PIXMA ip3000 that has never ever failed me for years. It prints lightning fast and perfectly every time...according to the box for the HP, it's "the fastest" printer. We shall see...IF it ever decide to work :P

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Momomuffins (12/21/11 1:15 PM) reply + / -
I also have this error on my 3310 (0xc19a0013) and I tried that key combo trick several months ago when I tried researching it last and I do think after multiple tries it did end up printing but only briefly...VERY briefly. This printer is nearly brand new because my friend that gave it to me pretty much said "Here, take it...if you can fix it...yay for you." LOL She had barely used it either since you really kinda can't when its main function is not doing its job. I'm dying to see how this 3310 compares to my trusty ol' Canon PIXMA ip3000 that has never ever failed me for years. It prints lightning fast and perfectly every time...according to the box for the HP, it's "the fastest" printer. We shall see...IF it ever decide to work :P

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by Vlastimir (12/26/11 7:11 AM) reply + / -
It works for my HP Photosmart 3210 too.
I pressed OK, cancel, black and colour at the same time (four buttons) and pres the fifth button, OFF.
When I started again the printer works about five minutes long. I had one catridge near expared time. I answered yes, I want to countinue with it.
Now I can print as usual as at begining.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by mscroft (12/30/11 12:36 PM) reply + / -
Thanks to Annonymous for the fix. My HP Photosmart 3210 gave me the dreaded ink system failure after 6 years of working great. HP customer service was terrible, of course offering to service or upgrade my printer for about $200. Give me a break. I tried the ok/cancel/black/color and off buttons twice and after its long maintenance cycle it is now working again. Only one issue, there is some ink instead of my printer. Wondering what is causing the leakage. Any ideas? Thanks for this forum! I thought I was going to have to trash my printer or use it for a paperweight.

Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by js3rd (12/30/11 8:16 PM) reply + / -
I tried the reset technique and it worked like a charm. Thanks a load guys. I was really worried there for a while

No Subject by Rob-indy (1/10/12 5:02 PM) reply + / -
the four button reset (ok + cancel + black + color while turning off) fixed my "ink system failure" error.

Thanks everyone!

Re: Hp C6350 Photosmart ink system failure by HPhater2 (1/15/12 1:34 PM) reply + / -
HP Photosmart (an oxymoran if there ever was one)C6350, getting the ink system failure sign over and over. Tried all suggestions above many times nothing working. Printer less than 3 years old and help desk wants me to upgrade to another HP. They must think I am nuts! Have an old HP P1000 works like a charm but no drivers available for Windows 7. Any wonder business is in trouble?

Re: Hp 6500a ink system failure by Heatherjhamsa (1/15/12 4:56 PM) reply + / -
I got this printer for christmas and have yet to be able to print anything all it does is pop up with an ink system failure error message. i have read this whole blog trying to figure out how to fix it but i still cant figure it out. Could someone please help me.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by NickoAus (2/9/12 12:37 AM) reply + / -
Well I hope Anonymous from 2007 is still in touch with this site, as I'd like to thank him/her for the advice on resetting the 3310. It worked just a treat.

I was just saying to my wife the other day that the 'old girl' was amazing, being around seven years old and virtually never missing a beat, until today.

Thanks Anon!

Re: Re: Hp 3210 ink system failure by Sparky17 (3/3/12 5:20 AM) reply + / -
Wow! Thak you Anonymous! HP does not make a printer that uses HP02 cartridges anymore. I thought I'd have to scrap the printer and spare cartridges. A significant cost savings for me. This forum is great!!!

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by 2$Bill (3/5/12 2:04 PM) reply + / -
Hi... I have a hp 7300 which was set aside nearly a year... After running "clean heads" about a dozen times all but magenta is working... A new magenta won't print either... What is the 'secret' rest code? Thanks,Caretaker2

Re: Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by ruthhoustonbarrett (12/3/12 1:37 PM) reply + / -
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I have an HP 3210 All in One Printer, and I had tried several techniques to reset, and none worked. THIS WORKED PERFECTLY!!!! I am so grateful to you for posting this info! :)))))))))) Wait til my kids get home from school, they are going to be PSYCHED!!!

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by parshtr (12/25/12 6:36 PM) reply + / -
Yee Ha I finally got to screw HP today! It worked on my 3210 after a power failure at the house today. I was ready to tie it to my pick up truck and drag it down the street.

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by The Port (9/27/13 4:06 PM) reply + / -
Hi

I followed the below and it worked but 10 days later the message has come back and I can't resolve it. Any thoughts from anybody?

"I kept on getting the same error even after resetting the printer. then this worked for me after a lot of trying.
Use a combo of both reset methods. hold down the cancel, ok and black buttons then push power when it turns off unplug the power and remove the carts, wait about 1 min put back the carts and plug back the power. now power on".

Re: Hp 3110 ink system failure by duke11a (3/4/14 1:44 PM) reply + / -
Followed this thread with the dreaded 0xc05d0281 ink system failure on HP3210. Tried all the tricks I could find - all failed.
Eventually found the problem, on top of the print head there is a dual lifting bar, this is metal shaft with 2 white plastic double ended lifters. These are pushed onto the bar with splines and the bar is rotated by a lever from a white gear. I think this to vent the head to permit printing and either all the front vents are opened together or all the rear ones depending which way the lever is moved.
To get in to this you have to take off the scanner cover - take off side cover 4 screws, remove the ribbon cables at the right rear and slide off the top. Then remove 6 screw to take off the black cover to reveal the print heads - sitting on the right side.
Anyway the fault was that one of the white plastic double ended lifters has split where it pushes onto the metal shaft and hence did not move in unison with the other other end - hence not all the vents opened.
Repair has been to superglue the lever onto the shaft and re-enforce it with Araldite.
Once done and glue dried, 24hours later, printer worked perfectly on test.
Not sure how long it will last though.
Best of luck to anyone else with the problem

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters