fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Lexmark Reset ink cartridge

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Bradley George (1/16/06 6:28 AM) reply + / -
I see plenty of HP ink cartridge chip resetters. Does any one know how I can reset my ink levels in the Lexmark All in one X7170 that uses the number 32, 33 or 35 ink cartridges?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by LexKiller (3/30/09 12:43 PM) reply + / -
The best way to reset any lexmark inkjet is to buy a real printer.
DO NOT BUY A LEXMARK INKJET!!!!!
Lexmark (a four letter word) is the worst type of printer you can purchase. Their sole aim is to sell ink. The quality of the printers is woeful. Just lift them. They weigh nothing. Try picking up a HP, Canon, Brother or Epson and you'll see the quality difference.
If you're looking for a decent printer for general use, Brother make some cheap multifunctions which are easy to refill and come with four different colour cartridges which means that if you run out of one colour you replace one colour. For better quality (e.g. photos) I would recomment a Canon. Again, the CLI8/PGI5 series comes with seperate colours and prints very high quality photos. Chip resetters are available which allow you to set the ink levels to full. Canon, btw, is the only printer company which provides instructions for disabling the ink level checker in their printers.
HP produce nice quality printers with high quality printing but their new ranges contain very little ink in the basic cartridges and the high yield cartridges are EXPENSIVE!

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (4/1/09 1:04 PM) reply + / -
I just bought the Lexmark X5650. Prety good printer but can't refill cartridge, rather I refilled it but can't get the printer to recognize that it is full -- This is a bunch of !!! I am going to take this NEW printer to the dump and buy something I can work with. NEVER BUY A LEXMARK

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by diver06 (4/8/09 8:41 AM) reply + / -
I think I read somewhere that you could fool the empty ink cartridge signal on the Lexmark but putting a piece of "that never ending uses for" duct-tape somewhere on the cartridge. However, now I can't find that posting .

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by pthree (5/22/09 2:02 AM) reply + / -
if you find that post please reply, I'll keep digging until then.
Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (5/22/09 8:11 AM) reply + / -
Sorry. I'm beginning to think it may have been some kind of fantasy day-dream or something ...... I can't find anything that comes close to that post. However, I did buy a few Circuit City going out of business Lexmark cartridges. Now there's one less cartridge supplier for my thirsty printer, so the prices will probably go up even more!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by pthree (5/22/09 8:24 AM) reply + / -
Oh well, I'll try to refill it before the ink runs out, and see if it works and for how long.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (5/22/09 9:26 AM) reply + / -
I have a feeling that even if you figure out how to refill a non-refillable cartridge that it will still be "coded" as empty. I'll be curious about your results.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by pthree (5/22/09 9:36 AM) reply + / -
I got a mail from someone I found on another forum : "Hi Bad news. These cartridges are not refillable. Even if you refill them they will not print and you are forced to buy new ones. Reason is that they are fitted with a microchip. Dealers do not disclose this when you buy this printer. Poor show. Cheers Des"

My other printer Canon MP140 always shows that the cartridges are empty and it works, I refill it all the time. I'm hoping this one
(Lexmark x5650) will work if refilled (hope dies last :D).
I'll keep you posted with my results, I have to buy some color ink these days and experiment with it.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (6/3/09 7:20 AM) reply+2 + / -
hi
i found a way to trick the printer if u turn off the printer before removing the ink catridge pull the strap back to the centre verry slow take the catridge out fill then it works but it will always show as empty but it prints a note will always pop up saying out of ink but just continue hope this helps

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by pthree (6/3/09 7:31 AM) reply + / -
Thanks, I hope people with the same problem find this useful.
My Lexmark didn't want to print or copy anymore after the chip shows empty ink. I refilled it but ... hard luck.
Anyways my story has a happy ending.
I returned my printer to the store I bought it from, and they agreed to give me back the money and buy another one. I bought a HP with the same characteristics fax, scanner, copy, printer and refillable cartridges.
Thanks again, I'm happy you found a way around it. All the best to you.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by choochmm (6/28/09 7:20 PM) reply + / -
Take a small pice of clear tape. Try covering one of the outside vertical row of contacts at thr front of the cartridge. Re-insert it and it shoudl "fool" the printer into thinking it is a new cartridge. It works for my Lexmark 2600 series all in one. Good Luck.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cleverboy (7/10/09 12:48 PM) reply + / -
Use clear tape over left hand row of sensors on front of cartridge and re-insert. ink now shows with question mark but reads as full and prints fine.

but yeah, best bet, never ever buy lexmark.....:)

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by iamsaffie (7/12/09 12:19 PM) reply + / -
I just tried the clear tape thing and it works! Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (7/20/09 1:48 PM) reply + / -
I just bought the lexmark x2600. Is placement of tape the same for both #14 black cartridge and the #15 color cartridge?
Has anyone tried 'taping' the Photo #31 cartridge?

What if I tried this on a new printer and a new cartridge?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cleverboy (7/20/09 8:35 PM) reply + / -
I have only tried with #36 black and the colour equivalent (I forget the numbers, its a work printer) it works no problem, printer was brand new and was first refill, should not cause any damage if you are carefull. Lexmark are poo, even if you buy original ink, the print quality sucks, even if you break it, you will still be better off buying a new printer thats refillable, unless you are going to print less then 5 pages per year the cost of ink will always have you on the losing side...imho... :)

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (7/27/09 1:42 PM) reply + / -
Wow, the tape thing worked like a charm. Thanks.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by guerre (7/27/09 3:31 PM) reply + / -
the comments about buy ANY OTHER PRINTER is dead on - my wife bought it while i was surviving a <0.03% survived SADDLE CLOT [MASSIVE pulmonary embolism] and after finally learning this piece of.. plastic.. mixes the colors to print black ifen printing envelopes i thought i was in the clear by never printing envelopes, but now the fax won't send until i feed it yet another color cartridge though i can print color just fine from my computer.
sounds like the solution is a reset so into the forum i go to learn how.
NEXT printer will return to OKI as it worked great for years until the mover dropped it or anyting except lexmark!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by guerre (7/27/09 3:48 PM) reply + / -
the comments about buy ANY OTHER PRINTER is dead on - my wife bought it while i was surviving a <0.03% survived SADDLE CLOT [MASSIVE pulmonary embolism] and after finally learning this piece of.. plastic.. mixes the colors to print black ifen printing envelopes i thought i was in the clear by never printing envelopes, but now the fax won't send until i feed it yet another color cartridge though i can print color just fine from my computer.
sounds like the solution is a reset so into the forum i go to learn how.
NEXT printer will return to OKI as it worked great for years until the mover dropped it or anyting except lexmark!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by PappyT (7/27/09 7:02 PM) reply + / -
I of contacts tried the tape on side of contacts
and message says: can't detect cartridge so back to square one on my x5650

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by RisaMoe (7/27/09 9:18 PM) reply + / -
I tried the tape idea on my x4530 and it didn't work for me either. This is getting rediculous...I can't buy the ink I need locally and its highway robbery if you buy it online.

Any ideas for the x4530 - other than throwing it out the nearest window?

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (7/29/09 7:38 AM) reply + / -
hello sir i know wat u mean i have a x2650 lexmark it takes 14 &15 catridges omg the soo expensive almost $100 for two looks like we were both ripped off wit lexmark wat a shit company

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by aciel (8/2/09 2:09 AM) reply + / -
try visit this site

http://www.ec21.com

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by GlendaLou (8/19/09 5:32 PM) reply + / -
Buy the 14a and 15a cartridges. I have refilled the two I am using now twice each. They show empty but will print anyway.

Go to this website for very good instructions for refilling.

http://www.jrinkjet.co.uk

The instructions can be downloaded in pdf format. This will be my last Lexmark!!!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by GlendaLou (8/19/09 5:33 PM) reply + / -
Buy the 14a and 15a cartridges. I have refilled the two I am using now twice each. They show empty but will print anyway.

Go to this website for very good instructions for refilling.

http://www.jrinkjet.co.uk

The instructions can be downloaded in pdf format. This will be my last Lexmark!!!

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (8/23/09 4:42 AM) reply + / -
Which tabs exactly you need to cover on 36 cartridge. Tried few combination without any luck.
Thanks

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by scottishlass (8/23/09 8:03 AM) reply+1 + / -
HI all,

My son thought he was doing a good thing buy buying me a Lexmark X2650 as a gift, do I wan to tell him it's the biggest heap of **** , no, course I don't. I have run out of ink in my cartridges and have read on this forum that I can't refill them, well bollocks to that, so, determined that I wouldn't pay out the same cost of the printer on cartridges, I have investigated the possibilities for myself. It seems that the cartridges numbers 14 and 15 can't be refilled, although I have found a website that says they can, http://fillserv.com/support/inkjetrefillinstructions/ ,I have however found that some big stores have their own version of compatible cartridges which CAN be refilled !!!! Yipee, if I can get my hands on refills 14a and 15a then I can refill them. Once I find out where these can be purchased I will let you know,bearing in mind that I am in Scotland, however, if I can't then, like many on this forum, I'm binning the damned thing and investing in an alternative.

Re: Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (8/25/09 1:19 PM) reply + / -
It's on printerink.com/blog

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by scottishlass (8/27/09 12:47 PM) reply+1 + / -
Yippe, I have refilled my lexmark X2650 and it's printing!!!!! All thanks to the post by Anonymous saying that if you turn off the printer then gently pull the cartidges to the centre then remove and refill and just pop back into place they will work, and they do, I'm delighted, okay I still get the message saying ink low, but who cares? ignore the damn message, my previous printouts were begining to fade now they're perfect, no need for me to go out and pay the 40 british pounds sterling anymore, I can now refill for just 2 yippe and thanks anonymous.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (8/27/09 10:41 PM) reply + / -
Good work scottishlass! This might work for my X2600 too. Can you tell us your brand of refill inks?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by scottishlass (8/28/09 4:51 AM) reply + / -
Now I've had it, no choice but to buy the refills, makes me so angry that a printer bought for 33 pounds need replacement cartridges which will cost me 38 pounds, makes no sense to me but hell do Lexmark benefit. I found another website which offered solutions printcountry.com, I tried their suggestions and now the printer wont recognise either cartridge, and the black is still a 3rd full, so that was no good to me, however, for those of you using a printer other than the X2650 it may be worth a look. I reckon I will try to invest in the 14a and 15a. If I do find a solution I'll let you know.I'm off to get myself something for my headache, a hammer across the printer sure comes to mind.

Lexmark ink cartridge refill-- left side only! by Christina in Vermont (9/11/09 11:19 AM) reply + / -
I had fully covered the contacts because it was the full length of my Scotch tape. It did not work. I went back and re-read thread, wiped the contacts the computer was telling me, took off the strip and put on just a sliver covering the left vertical side of the contact only. It worked! Yippee! Thanks a million!

I saw a Youtube about getting the top off with this young guy using a big kitchen knife. Did not finish the video. I used a box cutter and a small flathead screwdriver. It took some patience, but I finally heard a pop on one corner and it came off.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Bizzz (edited 9/19/09 4:47 PM) reply + / -
Hi everyone...I have a new Lexmark X2650, and have just re-filled both original cartridges.

After some tricks I have read on this forum, I have both ink signs appearing with a "?" sign...but to get this, I noticed (or at least that's what I think), that 2 procedures seemed to work almost at the same time (each for one of the cartridges):

For the Black (14): Tape over connectors
For the Color (15): Turn off printer, gently pull the cartridges to the center ...etc

But all this I've done doesn't make the printer to print..Yet.
I think I'm close to the solution..

Does anybody know what can I do right now?

please check the image:
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1052/messagemf.jpg

Thanks
Note: It'll be better if you download the image, and then see it.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (9/20/09 6:28 PM) reply + / -
Anyone had success with the tap trick on #36 black? Please share more details with us. I tried different combination with no luck. Thanks!

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (9/21/09 4:20 PM) reply + / -
this guy is a genius!
it works!!!!!!
i covered left side down with scotch tape.
the down side is you don't get the option of checking off black print only...but i'm happy

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by gary n (9/21/09 4:23 PM) reply + / -
my printer was model # X4690 the cheapest you can buy - $79. bucks

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by courty169 (9/21/09 8:31 PM) reply + / -
hi thanks for tip about scotch tape when u say put tape on left side of ink catridge is that looking at the catridge fronth when its out thank you, will this work with the colour too my catridges are 14&15 thanks

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by johnAndrewSalviejo (9/22/09 7:24 PM) reply + / -
my lexmark model is z2320,,,my cartridge was refilled but the printer does not read it...what should i do???

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by sarah81 (9/23/09 12:02 AM) reply + / -
Got the P6250, tried putting tape over, and unchecking all the boxes in advanced in properties, but it says please add a color cartridge. Any ideas i putthe tape over my left and its left, same result. Help x

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by loriw1366 (9/23/09 12:39 PM) reply + / -
My printer is a 5000 series. It is older, and I rarely use it. Last month I replaced the black cartridge (32), the month before that I had to replace the cartride, haven't printed hardly anything since, went to send a fax, empty. I can't afford $35 bucks every time I want to print something. I am going to take this out back and shoot it with my 30-06 and buy an HP.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge REAL SOLUTION by Anonymous (9/28/09 10:19 PM) reply + / -
Hey....I solved the lexmark out of ink problem!!!HA!!! what you have to do if you want to refill these is "pop" off the top of the cartridge. It is not easy as it is glued down...using a small screwdriver preferably a small flat jewelers screw driver you can peel back the plastic that seperates the "lid" of the ink cartridge. you have to use a little force but you can get it off. Once you do this the cartridge will always read full!!!!!! just tape it or super glue it back on. You never have to take it off again! although I recomend cleaning the ink sponges inside every 3 refills. but this works great.....ha ha lexmark.....I got ya!!!!THIS ABSOLUTELY WORKS!!!!! WORKS WITH DELL PRINTERS TOO..YOU MUST USE THE A SERIES........

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by DocJohn (10/1/09 1:37 PM) reply + / -
I have a Lexmark X2670, and I managed to refill original black cartridge 14 and get it to work using the following methods, taken from the advice I read in the post:

1. Switch printer off
2. Gently pull cartridges to the centre and remove the 14 (black)
3. Peel label off
4. Fill according to the online instructions given for cartridge 14 on the www.jrinkjet.com website
5. Tape the filling holes
6. Tape the 4 vertical connectors on the left side :''Use clear tape over left hand row of sensors on front of cartridge and re-insert. ink now shows with question mark but reads as full and prints fine''Quote cleverboy.

So, rather than spend Ģ18 on a new black cartridge, I've refilled it for about Ģ2!!!!!

Thanks everyone!!

Together we can beat the big fat cats who rip us off our hard-earned cash!

John

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Bizzz (10/1/09 1:49 PM) reply + / -
Hi Jhon, did you do that procedure after the ink went out?...or before it went empty? (if so when?...just before it goes empty? or when the signal shows half of it?)

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (10/1/09 2:35 PM) reply + / -
hey read my post. this works for all the a series ex 29a 28a ect. I noticed though for some reason it will read lower ink levels the more you print but all you have to do is pop the top off again, pull the sponges out and put them back in. It will read full again. I just tape the lid on so I can keep refilling. Good luck

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by buzzwood (10/2/09 10:18 AM) reply + / -
Tried the tape trick. I don't get the error message but I also can't print without using color. So sure the printer prints but is it just using up the color cartridge to make the black parts as well as any color?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Kokoyweb (10/3/09 5:24 PM) reply + / -
Jajaja Lexmark, de lo mejor y muy barato. tengo un cyber y con una botellita de 100 ml, e recargado 15 veces un cartucho 28. y como si nada, jajaja me da risa porq, son excelentes impresoras y aparte muy baratas. imaginense el no. de hojas impresas en 15 recargas, el truco. cubran el lado izq. con cinta transparente y listo. un tip mas dejen libre el 2 pin de esa ilera. y Todo normal. saludos

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (10/3/09 10:28 PM) reply + / -
Translation please.
Jajaja Lexmark, the best and very cheap. I have a cyber and a 100 ml bottle, and refilled 15 times a cartridge 28. and as usual, jajaja porq me laugh, are excellent and apart printers very cheap. Imagine the no. of leaflets in 15 refills, the trick. covering the left side. with transparent tape and ready. free to leave a tip but the 2 pin that Iler. and all normal. greetings

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by bizzz (10/4/09 7:06 PM) reply + / -
Hola Kokoyweb...en que impresora has probado esos trucos?...tienes una Lexmark X2650?

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (10/4/09 9:00 PM) reply + / -
THANKS FOR INFO IT WORKS

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by kovier (10/6/09 7:45 AM) reply + / -
I tried tape trick on my Lex 14 and #15 and does not work. Wasted money on refill kit. I ordered remanufactured ink from www.tonerpirate.com and it works! I am getting rid of this lexmark printer soon. Such as rip off.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by beginner (10/10/09 7:42 PM) reply + / -
very good posts, thank you every one.
I have a x2650, and I don't know anything about refilling, only I know that the new ink is very expensive and I can't buy it!!!
please somebody tell me what should I buy for refilling? in staples canada I have seen a Lexmark refill kit which is compatible with many series but not x2650. Can I buy it for refilling? it's about $10 each. Can I find st cheaper?
And after buying the refill kit, how can I refill it? any website with detail of how to do?
Thanks a lot

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Fastdriver0 (10/13/09 9:40 PM) reply + / -
I refilled my 36 cartridge today, I just used a small drill bit right in the notch in the top. Filled the ink witht he syringe that came with the kit. you have to go very slow or it will overflow. Use a small piece of tape to cover the hole. The clean the contacts, with the front of cartridge facing you cover the front left hand column of contacts....Done.
Hope it helps you folks. if you need more detailed help..post a question linked to my post

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Bizzz (10/13/09 9:53 PM) reply + / -
Hi Fastdriver0...I guess you have a Lexmark..if so, did you do that procedure after the ink went out?...or before it went empty? (if so when?...just before it goes empty? or when the signal shows half of it?)

Re: Lexmark ink cartridge refill-- left side only! by raat_raat1 (10/15/09 5:46 AM) reply + / -
thank you christina............i have tried your trick and really get success on lexmark x2650 .do you use trick on color cartiz

i m from bangladesh ..

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by raat_raat1 (10/15/09 7:09 AM) reply + / -
gotta new problem the tape idea work but when my color cartiz empty it cant print any way i put tape on left collumn of the connector but it shows empty or not supported ink cartiz.what to do mail me at raat_raat1@yahoo.com

Re: Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (10/18/09 11:49 AM) reply + / -
When I filled it my printer would no longer print becasue it was to low. now when I go to troubleshootong page the black printer cartridge shows up with a question mark, but works perfectly

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (10/18/09 3:58 PM) reply + / -
I just put a new ink cartridge in my parents X2600 two days ago. now it's showing empty. they havn't even printed two pages.
Lexmark is the devil.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (10/24/09 3:12 AM) reply + / -
Buzzwood,

I read your entry on the 10.02.09.
Your evaluation of the tap trick is excellent.

I too am not convinced that the black and color ink cartridges are operating independently of each other. When I select the print command the following window allows me to select the properties. I now have the option to check the box “print in black and white”.
At this point the computer will not allow me to select this check box.

I attempted to test a black and white picture and compare the results with the same image of an actual print out from only the black cartridge. The concluding test results from actual black cartridge print out vs. tested black refilled cartridge varied in darkness (rich black vs. dark grey).

If you discover information that allows me to control the black and color independently from each other, I would appreciate it.

Keep in touch,
Disappointment

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (10/27/09 10:40 AM) reply + / -
hi, the tape trick worked for the black ink cartridge. im not sure if it works for the color one. if someone knows, please let me know. thank you.

email: lowprices3@gmail.com

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (10/27/09 10:43 AM) reply + / -
hi, the tape trick worked for the black ink cartridge. im not sure if it works for the color one.(lexmark 2600) if someone knows, please let me know. thank you.

email: lowprices3@gmail.com

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Repair Shop (10/31/09 6:55 AM) reply + / -
The TAPE Trick can work on most- Some it won't-

Here's what we do- Buy your cartridges at WALMART, when they are done and your printer tells you they're empty. Bring them to a Walmart Store and tell them they don't work. Go to the Cartridge are first, Pick-Out a couple new ones, just keep on trading them in to WALMART as defective, FREE cartridges all the time. Been doiong it for Years...Fuck LEXMARK........

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by TRIGGER-FINGER (10/31/09 6:59 AM) reply + / -
Ha ha ha ha..We been doing that for years now!

WALMART, STAPLES, OFFICE MAX, Cartridge World, wherever. Just keep your receipts and rotate around the stores!!!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (11/1/09 5:02 AM) reply + / -
I found a way to sort the x2670. Hit it with a hammer. sorted.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by SMHL (11/2/09 7:30 PM) reply + / -
I have a lexmark x5650 , and belongs to the 5600 - 6600 series.
Lexmark have 2 cartridges that cannot be refilled,
NR:36 / NR:37. But i belive it can be done.

Now! i just Bought 2 cartridges NR:36A / NR37A they are identical
To the Cartridges NR:36 (Black) / NR:37 (Colour),

But the electronics in NR:36A / NR:37A will stop printer to
Recognising them when itīs empty, and you can refill with no
probs.

This really works , even that ink level monitor shows empty
in your computer and level monitor on printer.
it will still continuing printing as new.

But i hate empty monitors.

-------------------------------------------------------------
But if there is a driver that can reset the lexmark from start,
and clear memory from what it has memorised from what cartridges
it has used , it probably show the old ones as new again and the
ink level monitor will be 100%. And then it probably doesnt matter
if you use NR:36 or NR:36A because the printer will read them as
new cartridges again.
--------------------------------------------------------------
When i refill my cartridge i sure would like to have a ink level
monitor that shows me when itīs time to refill again not make a guess when itīs time to refill.
---------------------------------------------------------------
In the prog.Folders of lexmark ,you have Dll files , i opened up
1 of them and checked , this is the info you get,

(BLOCK "StringFileInfo" BLOCK "040904b0") And in system 32

lexmark printer dll files

(BLOCK "StringFileInfo" BLOCK "040904b0")
(BLOCK "StringFileInfo" BLOCK "000009B0")
VALUE "FileDescription", "Windows XP Printer Driver"
VALUE "ProductName", "Windows 2K/XP Printer Driver"
BLOCK "VarFileInfo"
VALUE "Translation", 0x0000 0x04B0

This shows how printer memorise and save into computer printer
dll files.
But if reset the printer it will erase this info and start from
beg, with new info.

There must be a reset driver to download somewhere for lexmark
printers and i hope someone has it.

Itīs nothing wrong to own a lexmark printer,itīs a good quality printer.
I hope this info make new ideas for you all.
And i hope to find a reset driver , counter reset.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by SMHL (11/2/09 7:35 PM) reply + / -
I have a lexmark x5650 , and belongs to the 5600 - 6600 series.
Lexmark have 2 cartridges that cannot be refilled,
NR:36 / NR:37. But i belive it can be done.

Now! i just Bought 2 cartridges NR:36A / NR37A they are identical
To the Cartridges NR:36 (Black) / NR:37 (Colour),

But the electronics in NR:36A / NR:37A will stop printer to
Recognising them when itīs empty, and you can refill with no
probs.

This really works , even that ink level monitor shows empty
in your computer and level monitor on printer.
it will still continuing printing as new.

But i hate empty monitors.

-------------------------------------------------------------
But if there is a driver that can reset the lexmark from start,
and clear memory from what it has memorised from what cartridges
it has used , it probably show the old ones as new again and the
ink level monitor will be 100%. And then it probably doesnt matter
if you use NR:36 or NR:36A because the printer will read them as
new cartridges again.
--------------------------------------------------------------
When i refill my cartridge i sure would like to have a ink level
monitor that shows me when itīs time to refill again not make a guess when itīs time to refill.
In the prog.Folders of lexmark ,you have Dll files , i opened up
1 of them and checked , this is the info you get,

(BLOCK "StringFileInfo" BLOCK "040904b0") And in system 32

lexmark printer dll files

(BLOCK "StringFileInfo" BLOCK "040904b0")
(BLOCK "StringFileInfo" BLOCK "000009B0")
VALUE "FileDescription", "Windows XP Printer Driver"
VALUE "ProductName", "Windows 2K/XP Printer Driver"
BLOCK "VarFileInfo"
VALUE "Translation", 0x0000 0x04B0

This shows how printer memorise and save into computer printer
dll files.
But if reset the printer it will erase this info and start from
beg, with new info.

There must be a reset driver to download somewhere for lexmark
printers and i hope someone has it.

Itīs nothing wrong to own a lexmark printer,itīs a good quality printer.
I hope this info make new ideas for you all.
And i hope to find a reset driver , counter reset.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (11/10/09 6:52 PM) reply + / -
Thank you...worked great..saved a lot of time and $

Help! Lexmark refill tape trick worked once only by Christina in Vermont (11/11/09 12:22 PM) reply + / -
raat_raat1, I used black ink in the single cartridge that came with the product--color. I moved and could not find my color refill kit. So the color cartridge is going in the color slot but contains black ink. This worked in September but not now. To show how few pages a refill supports, I estimate I printed 50-60 pages before going completely empty.

I attempted my second fill just shy of two months of the first attempt and it did not work! I used an alcohol swab to clean both the contacts on the cartridge and within the printer.

My tape from the fill in September became dislodged. I have been trying several different pieces of tape to hit different portions of the left side of the contact and am looking for other hints at this point.

Printer is x2690. I used the printer until it was completely empty because I routinely ignored the "ink low" signal because it was meaningless since the refill. Did going completely empty (blank pages printed) change my result?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by tonyy (11/14/09 11:47 AM) reply + / -
what contacts do i cover on my lexmark ink cartridge #37 to fool it into thinking it is full.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Gunz (11/14/09 1:42 PM) reply + / -
I tried the tape trick on an X5410 I bought from Craig's List. I'm using OS x, but that probably doesn't matter; I have a #28 cartridge. I get the Question Mark and it says the black cartridge isn't installed, but sure enough now it works just fine.

Not sure what's going to happen when I have to do this with my color cartridge..but we'll find out another day.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by sue green (11/17/09 4:50 AM) reply + / -
I have just bought (October 2009)a lexmark x4690 from PC World Birmingham UK and assumed wrongly that I would be able to source inks from one of the many companies selling refills, as I always have done for my epson 1290. I am so angry to find this is not the case and that I have been conned in this manner. Cartridges are hard to find and so unbelievably expensive. They aren't even available on Lexmarks own web site.
What I do not understand is why refilled cartridges for this printer are impossible to find? What makes these cartridges so different? I can't abide the thought of just dumping this brand new printer it seems such a criminal waste of resources but I cannot afford to keep it in use so what options do I have? I cannot in all conscience sell it on to someone else knowing what I now know.
None of the reviews I read mentioned this problem they simply commented that cartridges were small and did not last long but if you can find cheap refills as I believed then this is not a big problem. If as you indicate lexmark have been getting away with this for years why is it not more widely known? presumably stores like PC World don't publish this sort of information in store because they don't want to upset manufacturers and obviously are looking to make ongoing sales of ink cartridges but this is a stupid retail strategy -I am so pissed off with PC World staff for not advising me about this I will never ever shop there again for anything.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (11/18/09 4:43 PM) reply + / -
I have a X5650 and purchased the 36A and 37A cartridges so I could refill them when they are empty. I installed the new 37A cartridge and the printer will not recognize the cartridge.
The 36A works fine. Any thoughts?

Re: Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (11/21/09 10:18 PM) reply + / -
sue green, this is disapointment.

i read you email, and i tocircomstance with the printer. my printer is not hesam lexmare model. I have a x2670. my only solution that i took was the advise of others on this website. I sotched timp the sides of the contacts on the cartrige. this solved the ink indicator regonizing that it is out of ink. I pried of the top of the cartrige filled with alot of black ink (by the way im only talking about the black ink cartrige. I going to do the same thing when the color cartrige exspires) then i taped the cap back on tested the print function. How do i determine that im printing with just the black in or is the color ink compansating to mix black in? well, i printed a black and white picture with both cartriges, and to my suprise, the print,priority tab functions don't allow me to select b/w only box. and also the printer dosn't allow me to print without the color cartrigde.
all i have to go on is the color indicator level and not the black level due to computer bullshit indication..whatever you see what i mean if you printer is anything like mine. anyway, i try to keep a sharp eye on the color level during b/w printing aswell as the color.. My evaluation is....it seems to be printing b/w ink for b/w printouts ( color level holds steady) but, who know what going to happen when my color goes out. i decide to attemp the same solution. What ever the case just save your reciept and purchase at Walmart and return it due to defect, i guess. Good luck stay in touch disapointment.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (11/25/09 8:38 AM) reply + / -
Hi choochmm

This hint is very useful. It work's now perfect. Thank's a lot.
Kind regards. Ulrich

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (11/25/09 3:59 PM) reply + / -
I tried the tape trick on my Lexmark but I get a message that the cartridge is missing. Am I missing something? Help!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (11/28/09 11:19 AM) reply + / -
The very good post by SMHL gave me another idea.
I have not tried it yet since I am first using up old ink inventory on an old Epson.
I have new Lexmark X2600 ready for future install.
Has anyone tried this trick?
1. BEFORE ink-level monitor shows empty.
2. Power down printer. CAREFULLY move carriage to access to ink cartridges.
3. Refill either color or black cartridge as needed.
4. Do not apply any taping and replace your refilled cartidge.
5. CAREFULLY return cartridge carriage to original position.
6. Leave printer powered off and disconnect data cable to computer or network device.
7. This is the tricky part - doing a good scrub. Remove all identity of your Lexmark printer on the computer (use OS to uninstall and manually delete only Lexmark's files).
8. Reconnect Lexmark and reinstall software and drivers as if installing a new printer for Lexmark. If any info about ink-level monitor was stored in a dll file then it should be fresh as if new cartridges exists in Lexmark printer.

The above is all worthless if ink-level data is somehow stored inside cartridge circuits. Yet knowing this brings us a step closer to knowing if it requires a reset to the cartridge circuit or not. And the plot thickens. Cheers!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Bizzz (11/28/09 2:59 PM) reply + / -
Hi "true_blue"...your point looks something interesting to try out...
IÂīm not sure, but I guess the info that turns down all the attempts that many try, is somehow stored in both, OS and Printer (instead of Cartridge circuits)...

OS somehow may be easy to fool...but printer?...printer looks hard to trick (at least for me).

I have a X2650, right now itÂīs a little hard for me to do a try (IÂīm working a lot)...I hope someone gives a try soon and tells what happened....
Good Luck to all...

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (11/28/09 10:13 PM) reply + / -
Hi I started this post looking for the answer to which contacts on the lexmark color cart. #37 do i tape to fool the printer so i can use my cartridge i just refilled.

Re: Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (11/30/09 11:42 AM) reply + / -
To the Anonymous with X5650 and new 37A cartridge that is not recognized. Sorry to hear about a possible poor quality issue. Hope you find your answer. My searching the web finds nothing better than what we have going in this forum. The following suggestions are probably showing my ignorance and I apologize if that's the case.

Perhaps as others have noted in this forum, your printer needs a cleaning of contacts on the printer's cartridge slot? Esp if previous taping of cartridge attempts left a residue? Use methanol on a swab or lint-free cloth or other contact cleaners.

If possible, return that non-functioning cartridge and get exchange for another?

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (11/30/09 1:25 PM) reply + / -
Good thoughts Bizzz!

True or False: If cartridges with the 'A' (i.e. 14A, 15A, ##A) are refillable and recognized to do the reset of ink-level monitor, then ink level monitor is done by page counter circuit in the printers and possibly causes lexmark's files update in computer?
Would lexmark's files in computer have date changed on same date that a new cartridge is installed?
If printer is shared on a non-managed (i.e. peer-to-peer) network and connected through a print server device (not a computer), then which computer's files is updated as to page count?
Leads me to believe that all page counting is controlled in printer's circuits only.

Others have claimed to successfully trick some printers by tapeing (shorting) the circuit to the cartridge but not using the refillable 'A' types. Yet the printer gives the '?' signal or 'empty' signal and still uses that ink cartridge? From posts it is not clear to me if this has proven successful yet.

Can anybody reason with me on the following?
True or False: The refilled 'A' types cartridges resets the page counter?
True or False: The brand new 'A' types cartridges resets the page counter?
True or False: The brand new non-'A' cartridges resets page counter?
True or False: Physically removing the 'A' types for refill and reinstalling resets page counter?
True or False: Assembling a circuit as found in the 'A' types to make a hack resetter will reset page counter?

I still have question if cartridges hold the page count and are resettable ('A' types) or not (non-'A')?

Is it possible to get wiring diagram/schematic of lexmark printers to easily trace from cartridge to printer circuit boards? Do we have any Electronics Engineers here?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Bizzz (11/30/09 1:39 PM) reply + / -
Hi "true_blue"
when you said "Others have claimed to successfully trick some printers by taping (shorting) the circuit to the cartridge..."

those who did that, (Including me) found themselves frustrated, cause many only covered the black cartridge, causing the color cartridge to work double, substituting the black one, making us feel we "fooled" the printer...

I hope this helps...

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by goldenbear01 (12/4/09 1:20 AM) reply + / -
I have a Lexmark 2600; the tape trick worked great for me. Keep in mind, the tape goes on the left-hand side of the ink cartridge as it fits into the holder. Think mirror-images and you'll be ok (your right-hand side is the cartridge's left-hand side).

A graphic example might help. Imagine that your cartridge's row of sensors looks like the following:

OXYA
OXYA
OXYA
OXYA

When you insert the cartridge into the holder, the "O" side goes on the left-hand side of the holder and the "A" side goes on the right-hand side of the holder. However, when you take out the cartridge and view the sensors in order to apply the tape, you will turn the cartridge around 180 degrees so that when you look at the sensors you should see the following:

AYXO
AYXO
AYXO
AYXO

Therefore, the side that receives the tape is the "O" side, not the "A" side.

Good luck!

Re: Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (12/14/09 3:04 PM) reply + / -
I have had same problem. The new 37A cartridge was not recognised when installed. Did you ever solve the problem? Thanks for letting me know.

Re: Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (12/15/09 11:03 AM) reply + / -
Well... I have bad news for the scotch tape trick... The printer just doesnīt recognise the black cartridge, so, mixed the colour ink and print kind like black, but really is using and epty ur colour cartridge. That the reason why donīt let u choose the option for print only in grey and black.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (edited 4/8/10 10:46 AM) reply + / -
I had some time and found interesting, but not tested (by me), ways to trick the printer. Each of these are a piece of an article or post from another forum (my editing included).

*** INK CARTRIDGE ROTATION SCHEME - SEEMS A BIT EXPENSIVE WAY TO GO
The low ink indication is triggered by hardware within the ink cartridge. Each ink cartridge has a unique hardware identification number (i.e. serial number) assigned to them.
When that number changes, (old cartridge out - new cartridge in) the printer 'knows' that a new ink cartridge has been installed.
That also triggers the reset to the ink counters (ink level).
Typically the printer remembers up to 2 serial numbers.
So rotating cartridges is the best solution for resetting the printer and ink level indicator.
Resetting in this manner requires three cartridges. Label each cartridge with a letter. As an example A, B, C.
1. "A" is installed in the printer (printer holds "A" serial number in memory). If printer is new then only "A" serial number is in printer memory.
2. "A" runs low and is removed (refilled & stored properly) and replaced with "B". Printer holds "A" & "B" serial numbers in memory.
3. "B" runs low and is removed (refilled & stored properly) and replaced with "C". Printer holds "B" & "C" serial numbers but "A" is overwritten and gone from printer memory.
4. "C" runs low and is removed (refilled & stored properly) and if the "A" cartridge is still useable, install it. Printer holds "A" & "C" serial numbers but "B" is overwritten and gone from printer memory. Now repeat steps starting back at step 2.
Even if you have cartridges that were repeatedly refilled and the print heads no longer work, they should be usable for resetting purposes.

*** RESETTING CARTRIDGE INK LEVELS by Barry Schultz...mostly.
On some HP printers including the HP 700 Series and many 800 series printers 3 years or older you can reset the cartridge level system by the following method.

1. Remove BOTH Black and Color cartridges from your printer.
2. Turn the printer ON and OFF 5 TIMES. In between the ON and OFF allow at least twenty (20) seconds for the machine to power down completely.

NOTE: When turning the printer ON allow it to go through normal start up so that it realizes there are no cartridges. Do not return the cartridges until you cycled power (Step #2) at least 5 x's.

Some HP printers retain the ID of the last 5 cartridges used (Black and Color). {Also possible in some Lexmark models.}
When the printer cartridges are not present it removes the ID from the current list. After 5 times it has removed all of the IDs and therefore believes the cartridges are now new.
The newer HP cartridges still need the tape trick. That is, selectively putting square pieces of tape on specific places on the foil contacts.
For some reason this does not work every time. If this happens you need to repeat the procedure from step one. Many people give up if the first try is unsuccessful. Keep at it because it will eventually reset. I don't know why some of them are buggers. Some cartridges seem to have a mind of their own.
Same goes for Lexmark. You need the tape trick here. Ironically the same problems here as with the HP cartridges. It may not work on the first try with Lexmarks.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by pradipbarua (12/28/09 12:13 AM) reply + / -
Lexmark Z2320 Critrdge that I refilled black Cartridge then it showing replace black cartridge Pls How can i support Refilled black caritridge Pls help sir

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by blacklister (12/29/09 1:15 AM) reply + / -
Lexmark Z2320 is of no good, it's worthless...
I tried to refill it after the ink level of the cartridge was empty... but of no avail and all futile... it can never be used again and it's like you buy another printer due to price of cartridge was almost the same as the printer.

Now, I'm using CANON IP1980 and its cartridge 830 and 831 is very useful and of more quality, and best of all, it's refillable and can even be converted to CISS, compared to cartridge of WORTHLESS AND NO GOOD LEXMARK!

Still, Canon or Epson or even HP is best when it comes to refill and reusing purposes,

DO NOT BUY LEXMARK PRODUCTS, EVER!!!!

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (12/29/09 10:31 PM) reply + / -
I am afraid that blacklister is mostly correct. My experience also tells that Canon is very good for refilling many, many times with no loss in quality of print jobs and machine is built strong. I will only buy the Lexmark as a new, lowest price, and only if it includes the ink cartridges. I will use up that ink that came with the printer. If I can not get inexpensive cartridges, then I give the machine away for free.

If you have an empty cartridge that has not been refilled too many times or is in normal condition, with inkjet refill kits you can refill your cartridge yourself up to 2-7 times. * * * You must do the refill BEFORE CARTRIDGE IS EMPTY. * * * Refill when cartridge is about 60% to 80% empty.

Find on the Internet a source like any mentioned in this forum or any other source, which will provide instructions on how to do a good refilling. The kits are inexpensive in comparison to a new cartridge. Best to start out with a #14a cartridge not the #14. The #14a is a little higher in price but much easier to refill many times. Hope this helps.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by raat_raat1 (1/2/10 6:41 AM) reply + / -
hi i finally make a decision give up lexmark just at the price of the cartidge i buy a new canon ip 1980 it is fine and more than enough that it is refillable....

i support the comment of blacklister

please sell your printer lexmark or you can use its scaner........thats all ........it is no more than a crap.dont be so greedy that such a multi printer in such a cheap rate becaus its a hyjacker.....you will soon realize what i m telling you ... .......buy canon be happy .....

to every body do you watch THIRD PERSON SINGULAR NUMBER CINEMA...

watch it i think you will like it a simply best cinema....a life of a young girl in our society of bangladesh......

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by rossi p (1/2/10 9:20 AM) reply + / -
nice one !!! this worked with my lexmark x 4690

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (1/3/10 11:23 AM) reply + / -
Did anyone tried refilling #31 with Lexmark x5650?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (1/4/10 9:16 AM) reply + / -
I just bought an x26500 lexmark multipurpose printer,scanner and copier,i receive error messages like,"contact lexmark to replace your colour cartridge.I want to know the name of the black and colour cartridges which should be replaced

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by blacklister (1/4/10 5:02 PM) reply + / -
thanks for the positive response and comments of true blue, raat raat1 and others...

raat raat1 is right, lexmark is a HIJACKER, and also a HOLD-UPPER, cause of its expensive cartridge, although its scanner (for some Lexmark multi printer products) are quite useful. But if it will be it, I would rather use CANON MULTI PURPOSE PRINTER / SCANNER / COPIER (MP Series, pardon cause I forgot the model) or EPSON Multi Purpose Printer/Scanner, cause it was more likely durable and quality satisfying like most Canon Printer products. And your right raat raat1, you will really be happy... as well as others...

thus, I have read the comment of true blue, I was "Enlightened" cause rather than throwing away my LEXMARK Z2320 to garbage, I would give it away as a "gift",... just wondering if anyone will appreciate (you know what I am saying)..... hahaha... thanks for the advise true blue...

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by courty169 (1/4/10 11:34 PM) reply + / -
hello the ink catridges for x2650 are 14 & 15 but these are not re-fillable 14a & 15a are refillable but there expensive

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cartrider (1/11/10 4:30 PM) reply + / -
This worked ! ! ! ! Cover up'd only the left side (as you look at them). I was chatting with customer support for 30 minutes. They told me the only thing I could do is buy a new cartridge. No more Lexmarks for me.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by PatrynXX (1/16/10 12:22 PM) reply + / -
Dad got a X6650 all in one (weighs a ton) so they fool you on the weight idea. Was told to get only the A version cartridges. Refilled it about 1 and a 1/2 times now it says it's a 3rd party cartridge and no longer runs with an A model cartridge. o_O see now I know why I don't buy Lexmark, but dad will do it every time. Although last time he went for an Epson. (yuck. but at least it prints) will try this tape idea though. Just irks me that I'm told to go for a cartridge with an A after it and even that goes off as being refilled. :( My printer is a Canon and all my good printers have been Canon. Tried Brother for awhile but in the end even those weren't great. (better than lexmark though.)

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (1/19/10 10:43 PM) reply + / -
Tried it with my Lexmark 5500 and it works well. It just doesnt recognize the ink level. Lexmark are cheats...there is a lot left in mu cartridge (I must have printed only 15-20 pages sicne I bought it) and it says ink is critically low. After taping the sensors, I printed out a page using the black cartridge and it is now perfectly fine!!

Huz

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (1/22/10 5:09 AM) reply + / -
Hi came across this site by chance and glad i did, tried your suggestion of putting clear tape over the sensor on my black ink cartridge for my x2650 and its now printing brilliant thanks, maybe next time though i'll buy a different make of printer

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (1/22/10 5:11 AM) reply + / -
Hi came across this site by chance and glad i did, tried your suggestion of putting clear tape over the sensor on my black ink cartridge for my x2650 and its now printing brilliant thanks, maybe next time though i'll buy a different make of printer

Re: Lexmark ink cartridge refill-- left side only! by cesc_man (1/24/10 5:57 AM) reply + / -
i had covered the left vertical side of the contact only,
but it's said that there isn't cartridge.

and what about cartridge #15, which different with #14.
#15 has 2 points in the bottom and 4 points above?

can U help me?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Jammy (1/28/10 5:49 PM) reply + / -
Hi guys.

I have a Lexmark X2650 all-in-one with ink no's 14 and 15.. I've just tried the tip suggested to apply a piece of clear tape over the first row of vertical contacts on the left hand side of the cart (left side as you look at the contacts...)

To remove the cart to do this I (with the printer turned off obviously..) manually pulled the cart tray along until I could get at them (not sure if this makes any difference..).. anyway.... IT WORKS!!

Hope this is useful to somebody.. may even work on some other models..

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by bizzz (1/28/10 11:45 PM) reply + / -
Jammy...what you did will make the printer work only with the cartridge that has not been taped...so, if you taped the black one, (something many people do), then, the color one will try to recreate the dark tones to help you have a very similar effect as if you would have the Black one working together with the color one...

the final result is that the color one will become empty faster, because is working for both...

Re: Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (1/31/10 6:45 PM) reply + / -
Ye I noticed what was happening when I did some tests later on.. :-( thanks anyway. Actually, do you know if there's any way at all that I can get the printer to recognise that I have refilled the carts? I used to do this perfectly well with my X3350 but then the rollers started wearing out (paper was pulled at an angle..) so got X2650, which is fine, but I can no longer refill the ink.

I really really need to find a way around this because at the moment I'm refusing to buy a new cart because they are soooo expensive.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge REAL SOLUTION by Anonymous (2/1/10 2:42 PM) reply + / -
I tried taking the top off of a lex cart 32 but still it said is empty and the color 33 the same

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Aubrey Sharman (2/19/10 2:05 AM) reply + / -
Hi all does anyone know how to reset the 5600-6600 Lexmark cart 4&5?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (2/25/10 2:53 PM) reply + / -
Going to try the rotation trick, I've had Canon, Brother, HP, and Lexmark and while the ink thing with lexmark is a pain in the rear I put up with all sorts of carp with the other printers as well. Canon has such poor print quality I couldn't bare keeping it and it ran through ink like it was spitting it out while I wasn't looking. The Brother's spent more time broken than working and ink was close to impossible to find. HP decided not to function after three months and the service was rude and difficult and the closest repair center was 5 hours away and they kept the printer for a month (returned in non functioning condition). So really one seems as bad as the other. The lexmark goes through ink but the print quality is fine and if rotating cartriges works I don't plan on dumping it.

Re: Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (2/27/10 10:26 PM) reply + / -
This worked on the Lexmark X9575 ! Thank You so much for this information. My printer was actually telling me to consult my users guide and warning me that if I continued it might damage my printer! This will be my last Lexmark but for now at least I know how to fool it into workng, thanks to your post.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Pistacjus (3/1/10 1:20 PM) reply + / -
I have x4850 (no's 41,42,43,44). The most probably the chip inside catrige is just remembering a number of printed pages. I dont see any fuses.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by waspinc (3/6/10 5:39 PM) reply + / -
Have an x3650. Refilled both carts, 36 & 37 with proper kit, etc. Printer software interrupts any attempt to print and says no more ink. Gives two choices: order ink or cancel print! So......
I checked the lx_Cats file lxdxCATS and got this:
[CATS Control]
CATSParticipation=0
ArchiveCount=10
FirstSurveyDays=60
NextSurveyDays=180
NextArchiveDays=30
NextAIOFetch=0
NextUpload=30
NumRetries=0
TimeoutSecs=50
UploadURL=https://www.lxkcc1.com
MaxMsgSizeKb=600
UserName=b2btest
Password=b2btest
UploadINI=0
DeleteStatus=1
[CATS Scratch]
InstallDate=2455089
LastSurvey=2455089
LastArchive=2455258
LastAIOFetch=2455259
LastUpload=2455089
LastUploadError=0
LastConnectError=0
GUID=cd22a44-4ca8-401c-be58-0399F58464C0
[Serial Number]
Serial=16F1165T6338639

Serial= is my printers serial number
I'm not sure what: GUID=cd22a44-4ca8-401c-be58-0399F58464C0 is!
Anybody know?
And does anyone know how the date codes work as in corresponding to calendar dates?
Ie: InstallDate=2455089

I have a decent understanding of hex notation and the registry but would appreciate any help understanding this .dat file.
Like most of you I just want to reset the low ink levels and continue using the printer on refills until the print heads wear out@
I did some alterations in the above files and in the registry regarding Lexmark data and will be posting on this for some possible help.

Thanks in advance I hope

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (3/9/10 10:22 PM) reply + / -
Your "InstallDate=2455089", calculates to the Julian date, 2009 September 14 12:00:00.0 UT Monday.

I Googled GUID. "... an acronym for 'Globally Unique Identifier'. It is a 128-bit integer number used to identify resources. The term GUID is generally used by developers working with Microsoft technologies. GUIDs are used in software development as database keys, component identifiers, or just about anywhere else a truly unique identifier is required. GUIDs are also used to identify all interfaces and objects in COM programming."
"GUIDs identify objects such as interfaces, manager entry-point vectors (EPVs), and class objects. A GUID is a 128-bit value consisting of one group of 8 hexadecimal digits, followed by three groups of 4 hexadecimal digits each, followed by one group of 12 hexadecimal digits. The following example GUID shows the groupings of hexadecimal digits in a GUID: 6B29FC40-CA47-1067-B31D-00DD010662DA"
Hope this helps.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (3/9/10 10:33 PM) reply + / -
Haven't you tried any tricks posted in this forum?
Why not try the "RESETTING CARTRIDGE INK LEVELS" trick I posted on 12/15/09. It won't hurt trying. Please let us all know your results. Try to not get discouraged doing it. Might require repeating the steps more than once. It has worked for others.
Cheers.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Mirec (3/10/10 12:39 PM) reply + / -
Is here any solution how to cheat color cartridge #15 (Lexmark2600), something like a black cart(with taping the sensors)?
Thanks

Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by diane77 (3/10/10 3:02 PM) reply + / -
Hi.i have lexmark Z1300, i refill it before it gets empty.unfortunately after more prints,it says i need to order ink,it says empty cartridge but i just refill it..Anyone knows how to cheat?I try that tape and still the same....thanks

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Eligah (3/13/10 10:29 PM) reply + / -
The newer Lexmark X6650 all in one (!@#%#@!) is onto the refill tricks and evan tape on cart does not work.
Follow everyone elses advice. Don't Buy a Lexmark printer unless you injoy poor quality and cartridges you cant refills.
PS if you ever call lexmark and they send a replacement printer. Please be advised lexmark delivers by UPS but UPS won't come back to your home to pick up for free. So be prepared to drive return printer to a UPS store or location.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (3/23/10 12:16 PM) reply + / -
I am getting very frustrated that the tape doesn't work and I still haven't seen anyone post anything that works for the Lexmark x5650 printer that uses cartridges 36 & 37. :/

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Eligah (3/23/10 2:26 PM) reply + / -
Lexmark X6650 All in One can't be reset and if you try the cartridges leak and smear and tape don't work.

I threw the lexmark away and called it a loss.

I bought a new HP Photosmart Premium C309a printer on sale at cosco and had no problem refilling the individule ink cartridges.

My advice. Give up on the Lexmark and buy a HP with indivdule ink cartridges it refills fine.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by the_lord_cometh_on_m (3/23/10 3:25 PM) reply + / -
i unfortunately own a x4850.

Out of curiosity i refilled a single use (return program) black cartridge.

works fine although ink level can't be reset.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Eligah (3/23/10 9:16 PM) reply + / -
Well all I can say is you are blessed you were able to refill the ink cartridge for the L x4850. I am sorry to hear you can't reset ink level.

Me personally I am sticking with my New HP Photosmart C309a all in one. It was easy to refill each cartridge and the printer shows new ink levels but informs me it is not HP ink which I can live with.

Good luck lexmark owners Ex Lexmark owner outa here

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Jerica (3/26/10 8:33 AM) reply + / -
Hi i have a Lexmark 1300. I bought a 28a, used it till low, then refilled it. i put the tape on left contacts, i refilled it till ink dripped out of print head. My printer page that comes up as I am printing shows a question mark, but above the level tower (which shows how much ink is left) says, "no cartridge". How, with a question mark, am i expected to print?? I took refill ink back out and put it back in bottle, plan on reselling the kit.

I have bought an HP printer and researched on ink, and i'll be spending $10 less on ink, from HP or from Ebay. ($15 from HP, instead of $28 from Lexmark; $8 from Ebay compared to $15).

Although i will be possibly selling my Lexmark, i'd still like advice...THX!

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (4/1/10 3:54 PM) reply + / -
worked like a charm on my 7675 thanks

Re: Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (4/3/10 6:08 PM) reply + / -
I have a Lexmark X5650 and the Black 36 and Color 37 ran out of ink, I did refill it but the printer still shows 0 for the ink, and says to replace both the Black and Color cartdidges, I would like it very much if someone could tell me how to reset this.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by VHulsey (4/5/10 10:16 PM) reply + / -
I have a x4650 wireless printer and although it frustrated me very much to be working on this printer for a very long time while it showed I needed ink after I had just replaced it, I uninstalled the printer and then reinstalled it and it reset the ink indicator to show that it is full. The only thing is, I wish I would have tried the old cartidge first because I really do not think it was out of ink.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (edited 4/8/10 10:54 AM) reply + / -
To posting by Anonymous 4/3-4/10.
You might try what was just posted after your post by VHulsey, on 4/5/10 10:16 PM. Although his/her is model x4650, it just might work for you too. I guess he/she 'removed' or 'deleted' the printer from Windows and then 'Add Printer' back in Windows after installing the replacement cartridge.

Also, consider browsing other tricks in this forum on the same web page. Please reply with what you did try and you your success as well as what didn't work for you. This will help others and could lead to a solution for you in the future.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (4/11/10 11:30 PM) reply + / -
For a #36 cartridge place a piece of tape over the left outside row of contacts all the way from top to bottom. You will get a ? and it shows a full cart. and will print black.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (4/16/10 10:59 AM) reply + / -
WHERE DO I FIND THE REFILL OPENING ON A LEXMARK #36 CARTRIDGE??? PLEASE HELP...THANKS

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by sharon10 (4/16/10 4:36 PM) reply + / -
I have a lexmark x4270 and I changed the black ink cartridge, however it continues to read black ink cartridge missing and it will not print anything

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by CNap (4/19/10 2:33 PM) reply + / -
I refilled a #100 cartridge and the printer won't recognize that its full. The chip is on the top under the sticker so there is nothing to tape over. Does anyone know if the rotating cartridge thing works with an Impact S305 or any other ideas?

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (4/20/10 11:29 PM) reply + / -
Try these only if you feel sure about it since I won't fix your printer if it gets broken.
1. Power off printer and unplug from power and unplug USB data cable at computer or at printer.
2. Remove all cartridges and place in a plastic bag and close bag to keep cartridges exposed to drying air.
3. Leave printer's power off and unplugged for a few minutes. Touch both prongs of printer's power plug against any screwdriver shank and hold for a few seconds.
4. Plug printer to power source but do not plug USB data cable to computer.
5. Power on printer for a few seconds to alert you no cartridges installed.
6. Power off printer and unplug from power source and leave off for about 20 seconds.
7. Repeat steps #4, #5 and #6 at least 5 times.
8. Install the cartridges as shown in printer's user guide.
Do the following 7 steps using the printer's control panel buttons (not in Windows)
1. Load plain paper.
2. From the printer control panel, press the button with the tool icon [ /` ].
3. Press the arrow buttons to scroll to Maintenance, and then press [ OK ].
4. Press the arrow buttons to scroll to Align Printer, and then press [ OK ].
5. Press [ OK ] again. An alignment page prints. Note: Do not remove the alignment page until printing is finished.
6. If alignment page looks ok then reconnect USB data cable at computer or at printer.
7. Use printer to check if ink level is reset.
Otherwise, try next trick.

If running Microsoft Windows:
1. Power off printer. Don't needed to unplug from power
2. Unplug USB data cable at computer or at printer.
3. Remove (Delete) the Lexmark Impact S305 printer in Windows Control Panel. No need to uninstall or delete printer's driver software if asked by Windows.
3. Shut down computer.
4. Reconnect USB data cable at computer or at printer and power on the printer.
5. Power on the computer and run/log-on Windows.
6. Windows should detect the printer and take steps to install it on its own. Otherwise, you reinstall the printer in Windows Control Panel.
6. Use printer to check if ink level is reset.

Please reply with your results, comments, or anything you learned in the mean time.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge #3 and #2 by agretchen4u (4/26/10 1:05 PM) reply + / -
I have a lexmark x2580 (cartridge #3 & #2 )and I must say it meets my needs but I am sorry Im cheap when it comes to ink!! I wanna refill myself for less so hear is the lesson I have learned using my ink cartridges,#1 You can refill lexmarks even with the new chips using refill ink! #2 DON'T DON'T DON'T let the ink run any lower than half befor your refill!!! When it's time to refill turn off printer and slowly pull doc over to release cartridges, peel off the label(this is for black ink) and using a small drill bit or just a plain ole C hook screw(the kind you use to hang small stuff up on the wall)make your hole on the cap where the small divit holes are. Fill in your ink slowly, please don't over fill it will get messy! Than place a peice of clear tape over the hole and replace in doc. Once you turn your printer on it will still show half tank of ink but you know its full! #3 If you do let the ink go to EMPTY with this cartridge your OUT luck!!! You can refill and they still will not print(I have tried every tip in the book and there is no getting around it on these it's called head burn out. You MUST keep the ink level showing on the computer to do this!!!(This can be done with color to just need to make 3 holes for the different colors,be sure to know what color is what hole!) I hope this helps at least one person,Good Luck everyone

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Anonymous (4/26/10 1:21 PM) reply + / -
Hey true_blue...2 questions:

1) Have you tried this in your own printer? (I mean the instructions youÂīve left on 4/20/10 11:29 PM)

2) What model of Lexmark you have?

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Abdia (5/11/10 12:57 PM) reply + / -
I tried the clear tape as well, it worked, but still the print quality is really bad, and in status shows that black ink is empty-
:(

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by trmark (6/6/10 12:31 PM) reply + / -
Hey,

I tried the bottom outside two gold conneters on my 36XL black cartridge and when it i reinstalled it is says "Install Print Cartridges". I tried only one of the connectors and still got the same problem. It looks like those are for the printer to know if a cartridge is in there. Next I tried the left column of connectors except for the bottom one (because the printer would not recognize) and it said "Left Cartridge incorrect". So I don't know what other connetors to try to cover. Any Ideas? I am thinking about opening up the cartridge to have a look inside to try and mess with it...I have the Lexmark x5650 all in one printer...makes me angry that they do this to people!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Minnesota_Gal (6/23/10 4:37 PM) reply + / -
This is a very interesting Group. I bought a lexmark 2600 series. When it came time to replace ink cartridges, I taped the left side of the cartridge that needed replacement as others have and indeed it works. Great Minds come together and solve problems!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by grandmarana (6/30/10 5:04 PM) reply + / -
Lexmark x1155, refilled #16 & 26 cartridges. Tried everything on this site as well as what Lexmark said to do and nothing works. Papers goes thru printer like it is printing but comes out blank

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by andrewsk5 (7/12/10 10:43 AM) reply + / -
HOLY CRAP!!!!!

It actually works...
My X5650......non refill....

I have refilled over 25 carts and even though it does kind of work...it would still happen at some point that it was "OUT OF INK"

Down below in these posts is a comment about a small piece of clear tape over one vertical row of contacts on the face.....as you are staring at the contacts I choose the right side and covered it......the printer now WORKS PERFECTLY

3M should get an award

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by diver06 (7/12/10 11:31 AM) reply + / -
I was one of the originators of this thread back on April 8, 2009. I've read and tried every conceivable way to get more ink out of my Lexmark cartridges #2 & #3. The best I could accomplish was to put tape on the black cartridge (when it showed empty and wouldn't let me print at all which then allowed me to print with my color cartridge only. I did this until I used all the ink in my possession and you know what I did next? I threw out a perfectly good Lexmark printer and bought a Brothers printer. It was a choice of either paying $50 for a couple of Lexmark ink cartridges or $80 for a printer with cartridges that have a third party market for compatible cartridges at about 1/4 of the cost of a Lexmark cartridge. The brother printer works like a champ!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by redjennschroed (7/13/10 5:32 PM) reply + / -
I'm so frustrated that I'm practically in tears. I've now got the dreaded "Cartridge Error" message on my X4530 and can't figure out how to fix it even after reading this forum. Here's what I've got...I've got an Office Max brand Lexmark 32/34 for my black and am Office Max brand Lexmark 33 for my color. Everything worked fine. Granted, I couldn't see the ink levels, but I'm okay with that. The color cartridge started printing poorly like it was running out of ink, so I took it down to Walgreens and had it refilled. The printer is now giving me the generic "Cartridge Error" message and won't recognize either cartridge even though I only refilled the one. I had a brand-new Lexmark 32 Black that I tried putting in to see if it made any difference, and it still gave me the same results. Any suggestions?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by kenteoh (7/26/10 10:02 AM) reply + / -
Buzzwood, Disappointment,

I used the tape trick on the black cartridge after refilling, and can confirm that the printer is using the color cartridge to make up the black. I tested this out by turning off the printer and manually pulling out the color cartridge and taping over the print heads. After that I turned it on and printed out a short black document and it turned out blank. When I took off the tape from the color cartridge print head, it was smeared with ink (when previously it was dry).

So basically, the tape trick doesn't really work, as the printer will just use your color cartridge to print out black (which is more of a dark grey).

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by bizzz (7/26/10 2:18 PM) reply + / -
the best Solution:

Leave those Lexmarks and Buy another printer/Multifunction that allows recharge...or better, buy a machine that allows the integration of a "Continuous Flow System" - something like this: http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o44/deore_82/R320.jpg

in my country, you can buy something that I call a "combo" through the INTERNET (fully guaranteed)...the "combo" is a printer/Multifunction already fully integrated with a flow system.

cheers

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by telmac1 (7/28/10 9:03 AM) reply + / -
Lexmark impact S305. OK, very expensive brand new Lexmark refills put in unit. Black reads OK, however, printer says that all the colours are still low. Why? We have done everything we can to resolve this snag. any ideas girls and boys? I know why they call it the 'impact'. Thats what the bleeder is going to suffer if it doesn't stop screwing up our printing jobs!

Re: Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Soldierman (7/29/10 9:44 AM) reply + / -
Any luck on the color #15?

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Soldierman (7/29/10 9:50 AM) reply + / -
what about the colour? any solution?

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Soldierman (7/29/10 10:03 AM) reply + / -
IT REALLY SEEMS THE ONLY WAY NOW.
THE LASTING SOLUTIONS IS NEVER BY A LEXMARK

LEXMARK IS A BIG JUNK by Soldier (8/1/10 9:08 AM) reply + / -
TROUBLE IS B4 U KNOW YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY LEXMARK, THEY HAVE ALREADY MADE THEIR CUT ON YOU. JUST SPREAD THE WORD. NEVER BUY A LEXMARK PRINTER

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by diver06 (8/1/10 9:31 AM) reply + / -
Like I said before cut your losses now and just toss the Lexmark, and buy a Brothers printer. It will pay for itself in ink cartridge savings in no time at all.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cabby (8/1/10 7:24 PM) reply + / -
I have a Lexmark X5650 and purchased a 36A and 37A cartridge.
I have refilled them several time, except this time the printer would not recognize the cartridge 36A. I took the advice of someone who said reset the printer:
Turn it off and unplug it. Remove the USB cable from the computer. Remove the cartridges and wait 20 seconds. Plug the printer in, turn it on, which the cartridge missing appears on the display, repeat the process by turning off Te power. Remove
the power cord, wait 20 seconds. Plug in the power cord, power up the printer and when the display reads, cartridges missing, repeat the process, for a total of 5 times. Then replace he cartridges before pressing the power on the printer. Everything should work. At least it did in my case.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by youyou (8/4/10 11:49 PM) reply + / -
does anyone already figured out how to fix the ink problem. i bought new inks black and colored (36 and 37) and it keeps on telling me that the colored ink is low. the tape thing just stop the message to appear but it just printing with black ink only. will this ever gonna be fixed?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Jani_m (8/11/10 6:33 AM) reply + / -
Hi, pplz! :-)
Have a news... no1 want to hear. But...
I'm using All-in-one with 32 and 33 (and similar) cartridges
Here are some facts:
One can succesfuly load ink and it will work fine... just for a short time
Cartridges supose to have some chip (or something) to note how many (*)DROPS it make. That is linked with cartridge serial number (which can be reseted!). Cartridges U by R not loaded full (or the max number of drops is seted higher), so one can add some ink and it'll work untill... I guess untill chip burned out, 'cose I refiled cartridge meanwhile, and than indicator show and was keep showing exclamation, but it works. And than, on a new boot up, get message about inappropriate cartridge, and there was no way to make printer to recognize it. A new one works fine.

* In \program files\Lx_cat\ u can find file .A00. There R data about "everything". So, I found that it keep data of last 5 carts (resteble), and (black)one cart can produce about 4,2 to 4,7 *10^9 drops...

Obviously (I think so), the main data R on chip ('couse I can delete that *.A00 file without any harm). So, the question is (by me) how to fool that chip and/or printer to recognize cartridge, even it keep showing exclamation. On some other printers it work.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Jani_m (8/11/10 6:35 AM) reply + / -
Hi, pplz! :-)
Have a news... no1 want to hear. But...
I'm using All-in-one with 32 and 33 (and similar) cartridges
Here are some facts:
One can succesfuly load ink and it will work fine... just for a short time
Cartridges supose to have some chip (or something) to note how many (*)DROPS it make. That is linked with cartridge serial number (which can be reseted!). Cartridges U by R not loaded full (or the max number of drops is seted higher), so one can add some ink and it'll work untill... I guess untill chip burned out, 'cose I refiled cartridge meanwhile, and than indicator show and was keep showing exclamation, but it works. And than, on a new boot up, get message about inappropriate cartridge, and there was no way to make printer to recognize it. A new one works fine.

* In \program files\Lx_cat\ u can find file .A00. There R data about "everything". So, I found that it keep data of last 5 carts (resteble), and (black)one cart can produce about 4,2 to 4,7 *10^9 drops...

Obviously (I think so), the main data R on chip ('couse I can delete that *.A00 file without any harm). So, the question is (by me) how to fool that chip and/or printer to recognize cartridge, even it keep showing exclamation. On some other printers it work.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by baggs007 (8/14/10 10:18 AM) reply + / -
The 'tape trick' worked a treat on my X9575 - Bloody Marvellous! - Thanks guys, saved a LOT of money!

Now, please correct me if I'm wrong but the Lexmark 44xl black ink cartridge I use on the above machine costs Ģ25.50 with Lexmark On-line. This contains 15ml of ink - there are 1000ml to a litre, so 15 divided in to 1000 = 66.6! (Isn't that the sign of the devil??!!) - We then multiply this by the Ģ25.50 and we arrive at Ģ1698.30!!! - for a litre of Black Lexmark Ink!! - I will never complain about the cost of petrol again!! The question is . . WHY???

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by gripe (8/16/10 5:57 AM) reply + / -
taping left-side contacts works fine on lexmark x5650 with refilled 36A cartridge

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by m_and_m (8/17/10 2:42 AM) reply + / -
The X2650 owners try it:

Remove ALL cartridges
Turn off printer
Unplug the printer from the power source for a full 5 minutes
Plug back in
Turn on printer
Install all cartridges

Pls, tell me about the result!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by dummy (8/17/10 4:19 PM) reply+1 + / -
OK, so I've tried all the tape-instructions, turning off, on and so forth, but my 2300 series wont recognise my refilled cartridge as authentic...even the original cartridge is not recognised anymore.... any new suggestions? (except fot buying another printer)

Lexmark X5410 Ink Cartridge #28 by phx480 (8/23/10 1:07 PM) reply + / -
I have a Lexmark X5410 with Black Cartrdge #28. Refilled it and the printers says it's empty. So it doesn't print with it. What can I do to get it to work?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by P-Daddy (8/26/10 11:49 AM) reply + / -
You have to buy the "a" version of whatever printer cartridge you are currently using, in my case, for this Lexmark X6650 it's a black 36a and color 37a that you need to acquire. Had to go to my local Cartridge World to buy 'em, only out of a need to get 'em asap, otherwise cheaper may be available online.

I too was getting the tiresome low or no ink levels for the black ink, so a strip of tape over the vertical pins on the cartridge did the trick. Also, curiously, the cartridge was "acting" like it was running out of ink before I put this tape on the cartridge, now the first attempt at printing since then yields a flawless (inasmuch as Lexmark is capable of this) print.

Go online, research and you'll find you'll probably find a laser printer will do you better, depending on your volume of printing. I'm going to recreate the scene from "Office Space" in my garage and mail Lexmark the remnants of this piece of junk.
Sadly, this printer isn't even a year old too.
Luck to all!

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by imsosquare (9/10/10 11:29 AM) reply + / -
No luck on the taping trick for #36 as described and photographed.
Printer just reads "Wrong cartridge on left".
I'll keep trying.

Re: Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by bigsumarila (10/13/10 1:41 PM) reply + / -
you are right. i did refill one and it continued indicating low ink till it stopped printing though my cartridge was full.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by emerson carvalho (10/17/10 2:25 PM) reply + / -
Hi friends.
I have a Lexmark X2690 cartridge 4 & 5. Once finished the original ink cartridge recharge them, but do not work and always get a message asking to exchange the cartridges.
If there is any solution, please help me. Thanks in advance.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by akbornlady (10/20/10 12:36 PM) reply + / -
I can't believe what a crappy machine/company Lexmark is. I paid over $100 to get an all in one X5650 printer. Worked ok for several month, including the wireless printing I had set up on it then all of a sudden it quit and had all kinds of processing errors. So I called Lexmark and after trying several things with them on the phone they were finally convinced my machine was trashed. So they sent me a new one. I was never able to get my wireless printing to work again so now I have to plug in the printer every time I have to use it. Needless to say my office has moved from the table to the sofa since that's where I have to plug it in.

My next big gripe is that nobody refills the cartridges and they run out of ink after about 100 copies. I can just put a cartridge in at the beginning of the week and before the end of the week it is giving me warnings that it is almost out of ink. That's ABSURD at $30 or more a cartridge! I need a solution, besides taking it out and dropping it off a cliff somewhere!

I have read alot of the info people have left on here so I am going to try some things and see if they will work for me. Thanks everybody!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by D-white (10/22/10 12:12 PM) reply + / -
I put a piece of clear packing tape over the circuitry on the outside of the cartridge and it prints now. Problem solved.

Re: Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by fabien (10/28/10 10:03 AM) reply + / -
Did it works with you or you wait for peopples to do the job for you?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by da_lurker (11/14/10 10:04 AM) reply + / -
someone suggested buying new cartridge then taking old one back and say it doesn't work and get money back. but then will people start calling me lexmark??

Re: Lexmark X2600 refill and reset ink cartridge by true_blue (11/19/10 10:29 PM) reply + / -
Here's how I tricked my Lexmark x2600.
CAVEAT: I have a HP Compaq desktop PC running Windows Vista for Business - 32bit (SP2) so you may not experience the same results. I also have the original Lexmark install software CD which may or may not be necessary for sucess. No taping of cartridge contacts was done in this procedure.

- Remove the cartridge or cartridges you want and refill and reinstall them according to the instruction manuals for the printer and the refill kit.
BEWARE: You cannot revive a dried up old cartridge without making a big mess. Best to do your refills when cartridge ink level displayed is showing some ink.

- Unplug printer USB cable and printer power cable.

- In Windows Control Panel navigate to Uninstall a program and uninstall Lexmark 2600 Series and any other Lexmark software that was installed at same time. Such as, Lexmark Fax Solutions.

- In Windows explorer search 'Computer' for 'lex'. You may find files and folders for other lexmark software, drivers, etc. Promptly, 'permanently' delete these lexmark things only.
I did not go as far as modifying or deleting anything in the 'Windows Registry' but if you have the knowledge to do so safely...

- Insert Lexmark install software CD into drive and run setup.exe.
CRITICAL: Follow instructions exactly shown on computer monitor.
Of course the first few steps you already did when you first unpacked the printer. So, just click the 'Continue' button until you need to perform final printer preparation steps.

I saw the ink levels indicators that are displayed when printing the test page as full. I hope you are able to gain same results. I am sorry but I cannot go into more details without rewriting entire user manuals.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by woodu (11/28/10 10:03 AM) reply + / -
Hi true blue I've tried your method twice with my x2690 I've even clean up registery with any "lexmark" each time and it is not working for me. I've came up wit idea that wallgreens can reset my refille cartridge but I've checked their site and guess what ...they do not do refills on #4 and #5 .....
here is their list:
http://www.walgreens.com

I'm gonna sell this piece of s....for half of penny and buy Cannon.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Juha (12/15/10 11:07 AM) reply + / -
I have three laptops and Lexmark X2670. I use 14a cartridges.
Printing works ok with a laptop that has Vista.

With 2 laptops that have Windows 7 (32bit), the printer doesn't use black cartridge and allow me to select "black & white printing" option from printer properties.

I noticed one person earlier had same problem as me. My idea is to sell the printer to somebody else and buy a Canon printer. Hope this resolves the problem. ;)

Previously I had a problem with another Lexmark (C734DN). I took 3 months (!) from the purchase to get it working since the imaging unit was broken.

The support was not interested to resolve the problem. Rather they wanted us to analyze the problem for 4 weeks before sending a person onsite.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by jonatbaylor (12/16/10 10:18 AM) reply + / -
Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know, that I was able to get my Lexmark X6675 to work!!

A few of you were kind enough to put up suggestions for a refill and this is what I did.

I have the Black #36. You have to drill a small hole in the top, under the sticker. I just peeled the stick back prior to doing this. I then slowly filled up the cartridge with black ink.

The main issue of the printer no longer saying "ink low" was resolved doing this.

1. remove both carts and turn off printer. I put a piece of clear tape on the left side of the reader area on the cartridge. I didn't do an "exact" job of this. I just tried to avoid covering up the whole thing, I don't know if it makes a difference or not if you do. But I probably covered up the far left row and then part of the second row (If you are looking straight at it, not how it sits in the printer). Do not cover up the bottom ribbon area, this where the ink comes out of!

2. I also turned off and turned on the printer 5-6 times, letting it fully power on and then shut off each time (this was a suggestion that someone made where it may clear memory for the printer). Once I did that, I put both ink carts back in (I did nothing special with the color ink). and turned the printer on for a 7th time, and the "low ink" message is now gone.

I don't know if its just one, or the other or if in fact its both things that made this work. I tend to think its turning the printer off multiple times and letting the system clear out. That makes more sense to me, but hey, I'm not going to undue anything I did just to find out. ;)

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by ctwright (1/12/11 3:53 PM) reply + / -
I am done with Lexmark... Can not get my 2500 to take a refilled cartridge. Can anyone suggest to me a good all in one printer that prints good picts and uses refilled ink? Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by tbarstow (2/11/11 10:01 PM) reply + / -
OMG.....I have a x6650. I put a piece of scotch tape over the left vertical sensors (as everyone said to do)....the printer works perfectly now. Thanks!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by splatt222 (2/13/11 11:52 AM) reply + / -
I found a CVS drug store that was dumping a bunch of these printers(X2650) marked down 90% . They only cost me $5.90 each. I bought 5 or 6 of them .I've been opening the brand new printer boxes and robbing the ink out of them to print work orders and wiring diagrams for my newly opened auto repiar shop .I finally ranout last week.I'veweighed the spent ones on a postal scale .8oz empty 1.5oz filled by me 1.2 store bought 1.1 in new printer box.Thetape trick seems to work like "complete a print option" using up your color cartrige. The way you can tell is the greyscale color which comes out instead of black . After reading evryones posts I used an ohm meter on a brand new cartrige and compared it with spent ones . On the DC scale I found voltage variances with that of a smart chip higher voltages on the spent cartriges and we're talken millivolts! you might all find it interesting what wikipedia says about this issue . Epecially the law suit back in 2004 with SSI Static Control Inc. As for me ,I'm not giving up ! I've got too much time and money invested in this product to throw in the towell . Anyone with any info at all who can comment or build on what I've found ,please post . THANKS! PAT

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by jmauritius (2/18/11 10:18 AM) reply + / -
i have a lexmark printing head which works with cartridges 100.
i try to refill the ink but impossible to print something after refill.
what can i do to by pass this system, i'm in mauritius and ink is very expensive with the airfreight transport.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by bussines blog (4/22/11 9:25 AM) reply + / -
buat share

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by FunnyNick (4/22/11 6:39 PM) reply + / -
jmauritius -
i try to refill the ink but impossible to print something after refill. what can i do to by pass this system?

Simple. Throw away the Lexmark and stop feeding the Mafia.
Buy an old Epson second-hand, and a CISS (continuous ink system) to fit it. For the next five years you will not need to buy ink or visit sites like this looking for answers.

The earlier Epsons didn't have such clever chips and were easily fooled. If you bought the recent Epson SX125 you would regret it.
I've done a lot of stupid things in my life, but luckily buying a Lexmark isn't one of them.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by diver06 (4/23/11 11:28 AM) reply + / -
I was the 4th post to this thread back on April 2009, and have continued to get a lot of great laughs reading everyone's attempts to conquer the Lexmark money making ink cartridge business. As I said about a year after trying all the tape tricks and cartridge wiggles, the only sure solution is to trash the Lexmark and buy a non-rip-off printer. My wife suggested that I give my practically brand new Lexmark to some needy person .... but in reality they'd be better off without such a gift. I am thoroughly enjoying my Brothers MFC 495cw printer (cost about $75), which does everything my Lex did and more. And the great part is that you can BUY replacement generic ink cartridges for REALLY cheap. I'm already ahead of where I'd be if I were still feeding the Lex printer with Lex cartridges. Quit wasting your time and energy folks and as soon as the Lexmark needs an ink refil .... take it to the dump.

failure but then success. by jonatbaylor (4/23/11 11:37 PM) reply + / -
OK,

so my dumb ass wrote back in December 2010 that I was able to tape the connects and reset the printer, so that a refilled cart would work on the 36XL.

However, all I ended up doing, was using the Color cart to print black and white. I didn't realize this for a while, because there isn't anything that tells you this is going on. So you can NOT use the 36XL as a refill.

However, I WAS able to successfully use the 35A cart. I've refilled it twice since then.

Apparently, this 36A doesn't have the same chip/device. I didn't do anything fancy, either. All I did was drill a hole in the top and refill it and then put the sticker back over it so ink didn't splatter.

The 36A cart is harder to find..you really have to look around for it. Seems about right too, I'm sure they are fazing it out as they probably know that the work around exists with the 36a.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by GReeves (5/13/11 1:57 AM) reply + / -
LEXMARK 5600 Series

Found way to disable alerts about cartridges but not the chip info.

There appears to be some registry entries that can help with the annoying popup when printing about the cartridges being empty that can get rid of that if anyone is interested.

Use at your own risk!

With RegEdit look for this key :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LexmarkInkjet\IJPrtSettings\OFN11

Under there
set all INK Counters to 0
set all LAST cart uid to 00000000

Then under key :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LexmarkInkjet\JSW\Local\lxeb\Settings\Rule sEngine\Carts

DELETE ALL ENTRIES except 'default'

Then Under Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LexmarkInkjet\JSW\Local\lxeb\Settings\KB
set IsAllowOrderInkLinksOn to 0

Then under key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LexmarkInkjet\IJPrtSettings\OFN11\GUI\PSW

set ShowInkLow to 0

Finally under key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LexmarkInkjet\JSW\Local\lxeb\Settings\Gui
set all thresholds to 1

then restart your printer and reboot pc.

Try printing and you should not get the warning on the computer. I also seem to be able to print fine with out the printer complaining BUT I know this does not change what the printer has stored so I guess time will tell.

Good Luck

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by jonatbaylor (5/13/11 2:04 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for posting the reg. key fixes!

I wish I could get the printer to stop telling me ink is low - but hey, it prints. So its all good. :)

You've tackled the more annoying aspect of the "out of ink" warnings which are the windows/lextmark messages about it.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by bam_9_9_9 (6/27/11 6:46 PM) reply+1 + / -
i know of a fix. you have to take it apart and take the sponges out. then there is a piece of metal tape that blocks any "extra" ink from getting to the head. if you remove this tape then it will work like new even though it will still read low ink. you dont have to tape the contacts. it works with the color also. the 14a and 15a cartriges dont have the metal tape so thats why you can refill them.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (edited 6/28/11 11:50 PM) reply + / -
Visit the website, atlascopy+DOT+com/knowledge/refilling_lexmark_cartridges_n.htm
for tips on opening and cleaning cartridges.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by tessasay (7/4/11 3:35 PM) reply + / -
Lexmark X4530

So how do I get my printer to take my newly refilled cartridges?

23 & 24

Please help

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by g8wcn (7/6/11 2:50 PM) reply + / -
You cant't see my video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ2K0vUOymU

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (7/6/11 3:31 PM) reply + / -
So what you are supposing is that the RFID has a unique number in it, which I think is the norm for these things because they are used for various things like pet IDs etc

The printer reads the ID and remembers it, we suppose, in erom flash or similar memory inside it.

I then logs the number of pages/dots/ink used against that ID and recognises each one as a different cartridge. Maybe.

Not well up on this technology but surely once the format of the tag ID is cracked then any similar tag could be used?

http://www.tagage.net/services/blank-tags-and-inlays/

Maybe...

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Argosy (7/7/11 7:08 AM) reply + / -
Yebo yes I found a way to refill Lexmark cartrages, unplug te power cable, open the top of the printer, pull the cartrage the the centre slowly using the attached cable, remove the cartrage and refill, replace the cartrage and push back to its original position, reconect the power cable and print as normal. The low ink message will stil be displayed but it prints.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (7/7/11 10:55 AM) reply + / -
...and once it reaches the predetermined limit set by Lexmark....it stops printing!

Back to the drawing board,sorry.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge (36) by coreypd21 (7/12/11 12:22 AM) reply + / -
I saw a thing on you tube. If you pull out the cartridge and have it facing you so the data strip is facing you with the 36 on top. If you look at the data strip there are a bunch of small solid circles on it. Some on the left, middle and right. If you take a piece of clear tape and put it over ONLY the left circles and put it back in the cartridge will print. It shows up as a question mark on the ink level. Who cares though it works.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (7/12/11 12:36 AM) reply + / -
tessasay: The answer is you don't get a X4530 to accept refilled cartridges, that's what this thread is about.

Taping over the contacts will disable the cartridge and it will just use the colour one to print black instead which uses even more ink (see earlier posts).

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by asaasa (8/3/11 9:19 AM) reply + / -
can someone put some pics with x2670 cartridge sticking tape?
i dont get what's the row that people are talking about?
and what about the color one? it remains in the printer ? or i have to get out of the printer?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Debbie D (edited 8/4/11 6:17 AM) reply + / -
hello lexmark 2400 series with cartridges 4 n 5 having same problems

the clear tape worked for couple prints and changed the "red X cartridge need replacing" to a question mark ? sign

then it told me the black ink was low and would i like to use the colour cartridge to print in black to which i said yes unfortunatley, think i should have said no to that one

so i added some more ink to the black just in case it WAS low, i filled it so much there was ink dropping out the bottom just to be sure!

now when i print, the "print in black and white" in "preferences" can no longer be ticked and it fades my printing from black to burgandy

YES lexmark you barstewards!!!! my printer with a fully refilled black ink cartridge is now fading to burgandy half way down the page when i know there is a full black cartridge in it!!! they would go this far? boycot lexmark thats what i say

thanks so much to this forum for wising me up! i now know there is nothing i can do other than buy a chip recoder or buy lexmark ink or GET RID OF MY LEXMARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Debbie D (8/4/11 6:27 AM) reply + / -
oh and also

for those using 4 and 5 i have been told to replace then with 4A and 5A as these can be refilled, not sure if thats correct yet tho as they are on order

HTH

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (8/4/11 4:14 PM) reply + / -
The "A" carts are more expensive still and I found that they would not work in the X4550 once refilled.

Waste of time and money.

Yes the faded out page was a regular feature even using new Lexmark carts.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by definitelyworks (8/4/11 5:58 PM) reply + / -
For the Lexmark x6675, the "A" cartridges definitely work for refills.

I don't even use color, so I just bought a 36A and once it ran out of ink, drilled a hole in the top and started filling it.

And I haven't looked back since...

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by asaasa (8/4/11 11:05 PM) reply + / -
so

for X2670 what cartridge whould i buy and works to refill?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by nkateko (8/15/11 12:41 PM) reply + / -
lexmark printer is realy a headache! :-(,i have S405 LEXMARK printer,js bought it 2 weeks ago.i refilled one black catridge but the printer says its missing! nd it can't work without it!i'm goin back to the store ...prepared 4 war. hope i won't be arrested!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Jakal (8/16/11 11:22 PM) reply + / -
Has anyone fixed the same problem with the XL100 Cartridge?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (8/17/11 12:36 AM) reply + / -
nkateko: seems like you must have done a lot of printing in 2 weeks or is this just the normal score for Lexshit? Def take it back and ask for refund or ask for a replacement cartridge, that would be worth MORE than a refund LOL!

Jakal: Sorry, never used that model, is the XL100 a new model?

Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by greeves (8/18/11 3:26 AM) reply + / -
Previous Post http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/35235?email=184

Printer : Lexmark Pro S205
Cartridges : 100 / 100XL Black and colour

Ok Guys and Girls, I have an update on the 100 and 100XL ink cartridges and its not good!

I have checked out the RFID chip under the label on these ink cartridges and scanned them. They are encrypted and also read only!! this means that a ressetter can not be made for them the only way would be to replace the RFID chip with another which you have programmed, but seeing athey are encrypted in the first place ( thanks lexmark!! not!!! ) how would you know what to program them with.

So having said that, I found that getting hold of serveral old carridge sets, thanks to my local printer shop. That you can either refill these empty ones which havent yet been in your printer OR take the label off and take the RFID chip and stick it onto your own refilled cartriges.

This will register with the printer as a new cartridge and will act as such as long as nothing else has worn out.

It also appears that only the last five sets of cartridge ID's from the RFID chips are kept. So if your lucky enought to get hold of 5 x sets of empty cartridges ( in good condition ) you will have a total of 6 sets and can cycle them.

Other than that I cannot see a way round the issue.

BTW I have a Pro S205 for sale LOL! Very tired of the printer and refill pains now.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (8/18/11 3:56 AM) reply + / -
The solution in the case of the 100/100XL carts would be hardware/software mod of printer. But there again the user base of that particular printer would probably make it commercially unviable to do as there would be no profit in it proportional to the technical effort required to achieve it!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (8/18/11 4:00 AM) reply + / -
herispitsons: The website you link to does not list the X4550 printer that I used to have that none of these "refillable" carts would work in btw.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by nkateko (8/18/11 4:55 AM) reply + / -
i'm guttered! i dont knw wht 2 do anymr...m sick

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by davslav (9/16/11 9:01 PM) reply + / -
I got my computer from Dell and they sent me Lexmark Z600
Pice of s### and I paid $160 for it A lesson not to be repited,,,,

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (9/16/11 10:38 PM) reply + / -
@greeves: "I have checked out the RFID chip under the label on these ink cartridges and scanned them. They are encrypted and also read only!! "

So where is the device that reads them within the printer? Can it be disabled somehow?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by nolandsman46 (9/23/11 7:31 AM) reply + / -
So, to sum up, what's the final recommendation for resetting Lexmark 4&5 ink cartridges?
Btw, sometimes resetting procedure doesn't work on your cartridge simply because he cartridge is damaged. This happens for instance when you send too many printouts to the printer which has not enough ink in the cartridges. As the cartridges work with electrical current, then without ink the copper conducting circuit gets too hot and will be damaged.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (9/24/11 1:20 AM) reply + / -
I think the ball is in the court of the manufacturers to ensure all their products use easily refillable components:-

"By 2012 500 million laser cartridges and 1.8 billion ink cartridges will be dumped in landfills....and can take up to 450 to 1000 years to decompose" Wikipedia.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Oceana23 (9/30/11 7:29 AM) reply + / -
I have a C309a also that I refill cartridges (LD Products refill kit, where you transfer the chips off the HP carts to theirs.)

This worked pretty well for 2 years but now I'm getting an error message (after a couple of resets) "Insert ink cartridges..." and no matter what order I try of resets, I'm stuck on that message and the printer won't go past. Has anyone out there run into this?

I suspect HP of playing programming games (since this in an online printer and I noticed my user interface on the small LCD screen changed after the last full reset.) I wouldn't put it past them to change the firmware to trip up us refillers.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by lcj (10/12/11 8:57 PM) reply + / -
Worked great, Thanks so much!!

Re: Re: Re: Lexmark 5600 - Reset ink cartridge #36 by lcj (10/12/11 9:12 PM) reply + / -
Thanks go to Cleverboy from 2009. Used small piece of duct tape over left hand row of sensors on front of refilled black cartridge (#36) and re-inserted. Prints great!

Re: Lexmark Using Inkjet Cartridge Chips AND Spywa by cowandgate (10/13/11 6:10 PM) reply + / -
@lcj

All you have done is disabled the Black cartridge! You are now printing Black by using the even more expensive Colour cartridge!

Re: Re: Lexmark Using Inkjet Cartridge Chips AND Spywa by lcj (10/13/11 7:27 PM) reply + / -
Yes, I realized that now. Will it work to buy a new cartridge and refill it before it runs out of ink? I can't believe this is how Lexmark would treat us.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Lilly_m (10/16/11 6:55 PM) reply + / -
x2330

i found in my wardrobe i Know it belongs in a bin but i'm a student in Australia and i need to print! it has a brand new ink cartridge ready, i followed the instructions but it refuses to read it, it just keeps saying missing cartrige and i'm about ready to throw it out the window - what can i do?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (10/16/11 7:05 PM) reply + / -
Try a compatible cartridge, type 1/ 18C0781 they are a lot cheaper and if the printer is gubbed then you have not wasted as much money.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Piss off man (10/19/11 8:14 PM) reply + / -
Never buy a lexfmark

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by juliebobs (11/11/11 4:32 AM) reply + / -
Hi all. Ive scoured all these posts and absorbed all the info and now i have a question- do I need to use the "tape trick" on my X1270 (ink 17 and 27) Its my dads and i dont want to "kill" it like i did my Epson stylus!(RIP!)
Thanks in advance,
Jules :)

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (11/11/11 10:40 AM) reply + / -
Hi, there is no "tape trick" take it from me and many other posters on here that this does not work.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by lexxy (11/24/11 6:53 AM) reply + / -
I have a Lexmark x2500 and the ink levels still remain as empty....i hear you can use tape to cover the gold circles but is it that i cover them in a line or measure and cover them one by one and on which sides actually.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Boggin (11/27/11 1:50 PM) reply + / -
When do you get the message? When you put tape on the black cartridge, all your printer does is mix cyan, magenta, and yellow ink to make black print!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by confuzion (12/2/11 9:03 PM) reply + / -
DONT BUY A EPSON!!!! i have this piece of crap and it will completely stop working and will do nothing until u replace the ink. the ink has chips on them and instead of making u replace it when the ink is low it makes u replace them after a limited amount of prints. so if you print 50 pages with just the letter H on them itll say time to replace your ink and then become a useless system. and then you pay 50$ for ink and half the time the chips dont work and u waste 150$ before you find a pack that the chips arent messed up. they rip you off. first its hard drives that dont work now its printers that dont print. also if your paper jams and u keep trying to print it will count each time as a print, in the middle of trying to fix my printer it stopped printing now i have to buy more ink just to get it to print so i can find out where the jamming is occuring! throwing this thing out and using a pen!!!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (12/3/11 2:05 AM) reply + / -
Yes I too had a series of Epsons before the Lexmark disease, I have now recovered from both nasty infections I am glad to say. I am a recovering ink jet user, I am still on Samsung lasers, but hey, it keeps me alive!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by diver06 (12/3/11 10:38 AM) reply + / -
See my comments on 7/12/2010 and 4/23/2011 for a good non-ripoff Brothers printer.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by yassine (12/11/11 5:33 AM) reply + / -
I have a Lexmark S405

I refilled it's Black 100 cartidge
> it do not recognise it !!

Copying documents is ok - it copies with black color ok
Network printing is KO it says :
> says its missing ... and it can't work without it

Hell I'm stuck with this printer

they say that there is two type of cartidges
one refillable and the other not !!!!
http://www.refillinstructions.com/Lexmark/L21.htm

How can I do to reset the ink level and make the printer recognise that I did refilled the Black cart....

:S :S :S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by ravi chandra (12/13/11 8:33 AM) reply + / -
I have a lexmark z1320 the ink levels still remain as empty....i hear you can use tape to cover the gold circles but is it that i cover them but unable to reset my cartiage.....wats the solution.???????????

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by UR MOMMA (12/22/11 3:08 AM) reply + / -
LEXMARK BASTARDS

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by mike_b_2 (12/23/11 8:20 AM) reply + / -
Would you give more info about the RFID chip?
Type?
Contents?
Reader used?

Have you read any other chips? Before and after use?
Have they been 'killed'?

Thanks for any information

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by New York (2/1/12 12:08 PM) reply + / -
Ok ...Have received message loud and clear...if you can get the tape to work on a Lexmark (36 or 36XL) your a lucky person. BUT since I am worn out with all this nonsense would any one can to suggest a brand and model number and refillable ideas for my next print fax scanner thingy. it certainly wont be a Lexmark...but I have been to 5 major chain stores and they are all clueless about the refillable idea. WHICH MACHINE IS BEST FOR REFILLABLE?

I really want an all in one....don't use much color but the idea is nice...mostly use black.

Want refillable and any suggestions on who and what would be appreciated.

Thanks
NY

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Peri (2/1/12 2:40 PM) reply + / -
I bought a lexmark because i wasn't going to touch epson, and by old lexmarks were all fine, inlcuding the x5150

However the x9575 has the dreaded chip issue with refill. Sainsburys refill kit topped the ink up, but it refused to print after it 'said' it had run out...anyone know where to buy the 'chip' reset device???

I will keep looking for it then... Agree with New York. Want a printer next time that i can actually use the refillable inks (at least last more than single use.

Will try the tape/duck tape if all else fails

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Peri (2/1/12 2:42 PM) reply + / -
I bought a lexmark because i wasn't going to touch epson, and by old lexmarks were all fine, inlcuding the x5150

However the x9575 has the dreaded chip issue with refill. Sainsburys refill kit topped the ink up, but it refused to print after it 'said' it had run out...anyone know where to buy the 'chip' reset device???

I will keep looking for it then... Agree with New York. Want a printer next time that i can actually use the refillable inks (at least last more than single use.

Will try the tape/duck tape if all else fails

Foudn this to try...http://www.ehow.com

Re: Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by sampm (2/15/12 6:59 PM) reply + / -
Hi Rossi P -

I too have the 4690 and am having no luck with any of these fixes. What exactly worked for you?

Thanks!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (2/16/12 1:06 AM) reply + / -
@peri "Will try the tape/duck tape if all else fails"

It will fail if you tape over the contacts.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Martorella (2/19/12 6:25 AM) reply + / -
I am sorry bro but the tall tale of the RFID is totally false! There is no such hidden chip inside the cartridge; the system used by Lexmark to control a refilled tank is easier than you think. At least in my case I am using #100 cartridges for Impact S305. Believe it or not there is a lot of people writing here (working for Lexmark) giving you fake clues about how to solve this issue. Anyway I will tell you the next week

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by amron03 (2/21/12 9:41 AM) reply + / -
Hello! Just wanted to share...I have a Lexmark Impact S305, and I bought several re manufactured cartridges for it that wouldn't work. I even had to replace the printer head ( a least that is what I was told by Lexmark) but, they sent it free of charge. Anyway, I was reading these posts because I have "several" cartridges to use, so I unplugged the printer, moved print head to replace cartridges and then plugged printer back in and it works and reads ink level!!!! YIPPPEPPPPEEEEEEE

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by willapo (2/22/12 7:17 PM) reply + / -
Sooooo glad I found this forum. The clear tape over the left side contacts on my #42A "refillable" cartridge totally worked!!! I have the x7675 all-in-one and have been seriously considering dropping it on the sidewalk (COMPLETELY unhappy with Lexmark and will NEVER buy another one for CONTINUOUS problems right out of the box that I won't get into now). Just glad it puts ink to paper once again. Had bought the "A" cartridges (black #42A and color #44A), used up the black, then refilled and reinstalled it and it would not shoot ink. The tape method fools the software, so now it shows a "?" on the ink level indicator and prints just fine. THANK YOU!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (2/22/12 9:47 PM) reply + / -
@willapo

Sadly, all you have done with the tape is make the printer use the colour cartridge to print Black instead!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by willapo (2/22/12 10:27 PM) reply + / -
AARRRGH! You're right. Looks like the only thing left is to buy more cartridges. What a bummer. Unless... How is the ink level measured? The color cart. shows about half full. What happens if I refill it now before it gets empty? Will the level indicator continue to drop or can I maintain the current level in perpetuity? What a racket this is. Crooks I tell you!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (2/22/12 10:46 PM) reply + / -
To cut a very long story very short the ink levels are not really monitored at all, the printer just counts the number of drops that each head makes and when it has done a predetermined number it says empty! I think the only viable workaround anyone found on this thread was to keep about 10 used cartridges and use them in rotation so that in effect it "forgets" the earlier ones and thinks its gotten a new one. I can't say as I had any success with that though, it probably only works for some models and not others, they all have different software.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by diver06 (2/23/12 9:11 AM) reply + / -
Hey willapo,

Go back to plan A ...... drop it on the sidewalk!!! And then buy a Brothers printer which has generic replaceable ink cartridges that cost less than filling your own.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by alann (3/4/12 6:59 AM) reply + / -
just to let you all know the clear tape trick works on the X2670 also....

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Nicole Murray (3/12/12 12:36 PM) reply + / -
I would never buy another Lexmark Printer again but here is some confort related to the ink cartridge. I trick the printer by unplugging it from the back (wait at least 5 minutes) plug it back up open the hood and take the cartridge out an put it back in...close the hood it will say print test page or something to that effect and you press cancel. You may have to do this twice but it will allow you to continue to use your ink cartridge until they are bone dry which is when you should be going to buy new ink anyway....hope this helps... i think we should all go to the Lexmark website and blast the email space with all this dislike and contact customer care dont just speak to the customer service representatives ask for the person in charge and upward until they fess up to the crap they are selling. Maybe they will be willing to give refunds on the product if enough of us speak on it....just a suggestion:)

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Robb2 (3/15/12 1:06 PM) reply + / -
Everyone:
Pat on the back; I didn't buy my Lexmark Z-2300; I inherited it with no black cartridge and half of the color gone and no user guide, which I can probably get off their site. I also have no loading disk; someone who is going to run over his printer with a garden tractor please save and send me the disk! I am embarrassed as an American citizen that a company of ours would sell something like this to people all over the world. This is not the U.S.A. that I grew up with! What ever happened to humility? My Scottish and Dutch ancestry disallows me from buying one of these overpriced cartridges. What price to manufacture? 20 cents?
From what I've read above, I must get a 14a black, some generic ink, and go to work. Has anyone tried the regedit routines above, which sounds reasonable (without too many mixed drinks, I guess it's safe to plunge in). The auxiliary ink feed looks great, too; it should only need a "chicken feed" ink supply to stay fluid. Anyone with experience with the Z-2300 please advise. Robb

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by SaveSomeMoney (3/16/12 2:57 PM) reply + / -
Buy #14 and #15 for Lexmark X2690, NOT #4 and #5. #4 and #5 are too expensive. Just tape the 4 dots on the outside of both sides of the contacts and you're good. Saves $$!!

Re: Lexmark x2670 Reset ink cartridge by BMW roadster (3/20/12 8:01 AM) reply + / -
In the process of testing and adjusting setting and file settings.
Also deleting files and renaming files, etc.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Portishead (3/23/12 10:27 AM) reply + / -
I have the Lexmark 2600 All In One unit.
I refilled the original BLACK cartridge and it doesn't print.
I tried to cover with duct tape , the 4 left contacts , the 4 right contacts , the 4 bottom contacts...and a lot of other combinations...but it still doesn't print in BLACK.

How did you achieve this trick with covering the contacts of the cartridge ?

Are we talking about the same Lexmark cartridge ?
Here is a picture of mine :

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k67/massive850/lexmark.jpg

Any tips ???

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Portishead (3/23/12 10:34 AM) reply + / -
I have the Lexmark 2600 All In One unit.
I refilled the original BLACK cartridge and it doesn't print.
I tried to cover with duct tape , the 4 left contacts , the 4 right contacts , the 4 bottom contacts...and a lot of other combinations...but it still doesn't print in BLACK.

How did you achieve this trick with covering the contacts of the cartridge ?

Are we talking about the same Lexmark cartridge ?
Here is a picture of mine :

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k67/massive850/lexmark.jpg

Any tips ???

x2670 - Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by BMW roadster 12 (3/26/12 8:20 AM) reply + / -
I have reloaded the software, modded the software and tore down the whole printer. I unplugged - plugged , cover dots - contacts.
Nothing I did get a different install of the ink when I did a tare down but the printer ended up the ink was still out. The one thing I am trying is the #14a ink instead of the factory #14.
The #14 is supposed to not be refillable but the #14a is WITH the tape trick. I got the ink level to show full with a ? . I show the ? with all contacts covered on either side and the 4 corners. After all this I could have tested further but lost interest. Maybe someone can pick up where I left off to find a fix to refill any cartridge. Hacker maybe? I WILL post results of the #14a refill thing after the new #14a I bought runs out.

Thanks to All who try to fix the money grubbing people at Lexmark.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by BMW roadster 113 (3/26/12 8:23 AM) reply + / -
I have reloaded the software, modded the software and tore down the whole printer. I unplugged - plugged , cover dots - contacts.
* I did get a different install of the ink when I did a tare down but the printer ended up the ink was still out.* The one thing I am trying is the #14a ink instead of the factory #14.
The #14 is supposed to not be refillable but the #14a is WITH the tape trick. I got the ink level to show full with a ? . I show the ? with all contacts covered on either side and the 4 corners. After all this I could have tested further but lost interest. Maybe someone can pick up where I left off to find a fix to refill any cartridge. Hacker maybe? I WILL post results of the #14a refill thing after the new #14a I bought runs out.

Thanks to All who try to fix the money grubbing people at Lexmark.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Markis Upset (4/4/12 8:59 AM) reply + / -
I called LExmark and this is what they came up with on my S305 with empty colour not wanting to prnt the full black:-

Your Lexmark printer uses Vizix technology which separated the color inks into individual tanks for more convenience, so if one runs out there is no need for changing the entire color inks. On the other hand, however, given this design specifics it will stop printing when one is empty to prevent the printhead from getting damaged, because it uses heat technology to purge the inks from the tanks. So if one is empty and printing will continue, the printhead will likely to get burned and busted

Hope it helps. My Lexmark is going in the bin and I will NEVER buy another

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by leonsapa (5/16/12 4:49 AM) reply + / -
Hi i have a lexmark s405 and i have run out of blue ink . I am ok to print only black and white but my printer is not printing unless i change the blue ink cartridge . Can you please help me if there is any solution to continue printing without changing the blue ink cartridge

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (5/18/12 1:40 AM) reply + / -
I have the Lexmark X2600 printer. I use mostly my HP 1100 Laserjet for printing. I have not yet emptied an ink cartridge but am getting close to it on my #31 photo color cartridge. So, I look in the folder, C:\Users\\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\lx_Cats\

I see 6 files: PRINTER-SERIAL-NUMBER + .A00 TO .A05 and lxdnCATS.INI.

Very interesting to see in file PRINTER-SERIAL-NUMBER.A00 values such as . . .

[ColorCartDropCounts] NumberOfKeys=6
CCartTCyanBig=33394463
CCartTMagBig=17927184
CCartTYellBig=19056407
CCartTCyanSmall=101453697
CCartTMagSmall=91920079
CCartTYellSmall=88319991
[SAColorCartDropCounts] NumberOfKeys=6
CCartTCyanBig=2650446
CCartTMagBig=1385166
CCartTYellBig=1001166
CCartTCyanSmall=3646446
CCartTMagSmall=3485166
CCartTYellSmall=3485166
[ColorCartMaintCounts] NumberOfKeys=4
TCCartAlignPC=0
TCCartAlignAIO=3
TCCartCleanTestPC=0
TCCartCleanTestAIO=0
etc., etc.

Anybody tried reseting any of the values here?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (5/18/12 1:46 AM) reply + / -
All the values can be reset but at next print they will be overwritten by the printer. If you block access to them the printer simply hangs waiting to re-write them.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (5/18/12 2:16 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for rapid reply cowandgate!
So, when its time for #31 cartridge to refill here's what I'm gonna do. I'll top-off the #15 color cartridge too. I'll leave both cartridges out of printer. I have a windows pc and I'll disconnect the USB cable to printer. Next, delete the printer's drivers files and delete the printer in control panel. Then delete the left-over files for lexmark wherever I find any. Then I'll reinstall the printer, using the cd that came with printer. Then install refilled cartridges when the printer detects that none are installed.
I'll report back later. Might be awhile long - Deo volente.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (5/18/12 2:27 AM) reply + / -
The printer remembers the cartridges its had and then updates the files on the PC. Even if you connect the printer to another PC it will still write the same data to the files on it because its all held in a flash memory chip on the printer. A poster some time ago experimented with disabling the write to the chip inside the printer with some limited success as far as I remember. Its not an easy mod and a lot of the models will be different. The lx_cats files are used to collect usage data for Lexmark but there is an option to switch that off as far as I remember in the driver software.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by bergengolfer (7/15/12 12:29 PM) reply + / -
Can someone please tell in absolute beginner directions exactly where the tape goes. I have looked all over the cartridge and printer and I am so perplexed. I really appreciate all of your help.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Bmw Z4 3.0i (7/15/12 7:13 PM) reply + / -
Tape does not work. however if you want to try.
Google tape lexmark cartridge.
There are gold like circles on the cartridge tape the corners.
Tape a left row (up and down) or tape a right row.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (7/15/12 7:35 PM) reply + / -
Taping over the contacts will effectively disable that cartridge and if its the black one then the colour one will be used instead to make black.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by mobin1234 (7/26/12 7:58 AM) reply + / -
I had a lexmark X2650 printer. It goes out of ink.
I followed your instruction and it also shows ? in black ink. But when it prints or photocopy a blank page come out.

Please help me...

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by george yaw (7/27/12 11:18 AM) reply + / -
the lexmark company must build a resetter machine to reset the cattirage after a refill to make extra money for the company.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Bmw Z4 3.0i (7/27/12 6:18 PM) reply + / -
As said above tape will not work.
I will fill it will trick but will not print.

I am about to do another work around soon.
Between work and auctions also fixing cars I do not have much time to do all of this.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by cowandgate (7/27/12 9:11 PM) reply + / -
I think its like the myth that old car tyres are recycled. Somewhere there is a mountain of old printer cartridges festering....

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by BMW roadster (7/28/12 5:21 AM) reply + / -
old tires are recycled!
Around plants and playgrounds... LOL

Maybe the printer cartridges are there too?
I will look at the playground

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by ksparx (8/2/12 2:59 PM) reply + / -
I just found out that Fry's Electronics has a new in-store cartridge refill service. They clean, fill, and test your cartridge while you wait. The flier I picked up there says prices start at $6.99. Here's the supported cartridge list as of 8/2/2012. Hope it helps!

LEXMARK:
1, 2, 3, 32, 33, 34, 35, 82, 83, 88.

DELL:
7Y743, 7Y745, J5566, J5567, JF333, M4640, M4646, MK990, MK991, MK992, MK993.

HP:
02 blk, 02 color, 02XL blk, 02XL color, 15, 17, 21, 21XL, 22, 22XL, 23, 27, 28, 41, 45, 54, 56, 57, 57+, 58, 60 blk, 60 color, 60XL blk, 60XL color, 61 blk, 61 color, 61XL blk, 61XL color, 74, 74XL, 75, 75XL, 78, 78+, 78XL, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 564 blk, 564XL blk 564 color, 564XL color, 564 photoblk, 564XL photoblk, 901 blk, 901XL blk, 901 color, 920 blk, 920XL blk, 920 color, 920XL color.

CANON:
3e blk, 3e photoblk, 3e color, 5 blk, 6 blk, 6 color, 8 blk, 8 color, 30, 31, 40, 41, 50, 51, 210 blk, 210XL blk, 211 color, 211XL color, 220 blk, 221 blk, 221 color, 225 blk, 226 blk, 226 color (excludes red, grn, grey, photo cyan, & photo magenta ink).

Re:x2670 Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Bmw Z4 3.0i (8/9/12 5:00 PM) reply + / -
ok my ink went out. I refilled with the aka refillable ink cartridge and ....... yup you guessed right it did not work.

Lexmark sucks.....

I am moving to a better refillable printer...

-end transmission

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by superchaos37 (edited 8/10/12 12:03 PM) reply + / -
I have an old X5270 printer right now and bought a new black ink cartridge for it.It worked fine and I don't think it ran out of ink because it never printed a half page or anything like that.Checked the device status and ink levels and reads invalid cartridge with a question mark.Is there a fix in here for that?I would like to trash this one but cant right now.It did stop working after not using it for about a week.THX

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by Bmw Z4 3.0i (8/10/12 12:07 PM) reply + / -
Junk it....i refilled mine and it wont print.
just got a HP 1051 and these are supposed to be refillable so we will see.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by sceptical (1/23/13 12:38 AM) reply + / -
So I guess there is no solution for the lexmark x series, like x7675? seems the tape doesn't work, and noone has cracked the software?

Re: Lexmark vs. test HP 105 by bmw z4 3.0i silver (2/14/13 1:09 PM) reply + / -
I refilled the ink in the HP 105 I bought at walmart.

Test is great!
The ink was refilled with standard ink you can buy online.
The printer has been printing for a long while since the ink stopped flowing from factory ink.

The cons
The ink levels do not work
The low ink light stays on

Again
Who cares most of us wait until the paper comes out dry before a refill.

It was a cheap to buy the printer
factory ink is no to bad either.
It refills so I am a happy person.

THANK YOU HP

BMW z4 3.0i roadster silver etc.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by skidmark (2/17/13 5:56 PM) reply + / -
Follow the instructions carefully - always works for me.
Turn Printer on – open cartridge bay
Cover the right hand side contact points of the cartridge with clear tape. Put the printer off when it shows the no cartridge error
Turn it on – make sure it’s the same error and not another one – if its another error do the same again
Now cover the left hand side contact points – insert cartridge. Wait 2-3 seconds and take it out
Take the tape off the left hand side – insert cartridge and wait 2-3 seconds before taking it out again.
Now take the right hand side tape off – Insert cartridge and enjoy
Follow the instructions carefully
Lexmark is a classless act hopefully this helps some folks out.

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by skidmark (2/17/13 6:02 PM) reply + / -
this worked on a #4A which is one of the harder ones to refill and should work on the others including the xseries of printers

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by inkout :0S (8/17/13 3:20 PM) reply + / -
X1180 Lexmark cartridges have 2 basic flaws

1: the ink collects at the bottom of the sponge and congeals stopping the flow of ink to print head

2: the ink congeals and dries in the print head blocking the tiny holes in the print head

the only solution i have found is to remove the top of the cartridge, remove and clean the sponge/s in clean filtered water and allow to dry over night. ordinary tap water contains particles that will block the print head.

fill the now empty cartridge with acetone this is freely available as nail polish remover. this is a strong enough solvent to break down the hardened ink but gentle enough not to make the print head become unglued.

leave the cartridge for a few hours on a absorbent pad and allow the acetone to work through the print head this will flow clear or with a faint pigment once the print head is clear.

remove any excess liquid still left in the cartridge, put the sponge back in, fill with ink, leave to settle, refill with ink leave to settle again place top back on and secure.

X1180 always tell the printer these are old cartridges
they may show zero but they still print perfectly. I've printed over 10000 pages on one set of cartridges using this method and refillable inks and i know its time to clean them when the quality starts to drop or missing lines start to appear not due to lack of ink

hope this helps you folks in your quest for cheaper printing

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by sbkirk (8/26/13 2:47 PM) reply + / -
I have a Lexmark X2670 that refused to accept a remanufactured black ink cartridge. I moved the carriage to the middle. removed the cartridge, clear taped the left side contacts (with cartridge front facing you) replaced in printer and it WORKS!!! Thank you

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by JoanJoan (10/11/13 4:30 PM) reply + / -
I need to print some documents with magnetic ink, so I refilled one of my Lexmark 105 cartridges, but it won't print. I asked Lexmark why and they told me that cartridge is not refillable, but it was sold to me as a refilled cartridge--says that right on the label!
There is probably a way to tell the printer (Platinum Pro 905) to recognize the cartridge, and I'd love to know what that way is!

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (10/12/13 1:17 AM) reply + / -
Howdy. Nice A-I-O printer you got there. As seen in above comments, "The printer remembers the cartridges its had . . . " Meaning that each cartridge has an id# built in its circuit which the printer reads and stores in its memory. It probably is not an easy thing to clear the printer's memory without doing other irrepairable damage. Just buy the new cartridge and pass the cost of doing business to the customer like everyone else has to do. Maybe go to a refill business where they can change the cartridge id# when they refill them. Call your local Office Max, Staples, Fry's, Best Buy, etc. to see if they do refills or try a computer repair shop might could do it. You might scroll up to the comment by "cowandgate" and click the [reply] link to send a message to get another opinion. Cheers.

Re: Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by true_blue (10/14/13 1:20 AM) reply + / -
Did you see this web site? refillbay(dot)com
Selling a "chip" for the lexmark 100XL Cartridge, black and colors. Anybody tried this company?

Re: Lexmark Reset ink cartridge by ladyanne21 (2/26/14 12:20 AM) reply + / -
i found this posted and did it and it worked. I hate lexmark and did not realize that I got such a good deal on it because the ink was so expensive to buy. will never buy another one and that means a dell also. They have problems with the contacts and you get error message that keeps telling you that and then you have to replace the contacts which i understand from another post are very expensive.

Lexmark
black cartridge #14 refilling and bypassing
Yes Yes Yes it worked for me. I have a
Lexmark x2670 with #14 (black ink cartridge)
the one that came with the printer and it ran out
of ink.
I put tape on the bottom 4 points of the cartridge,
put it back in the printer and went through the
install cartridge steps that automatically came
up including scanning what was printed and it
is printing now. When printing you will see a
question mark on the black printing status bar
but who cares anyway. Praise the Lord!

Post to this thread:

User:
Email: