fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Can't open up HP Director

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Can't open up HP Director by Gillian (12/4/05 3:03 PM) reply+1 + / -
I have reinstalled the driver for my 2210 all-in-one. Everything is working fine except that I can't open up the HP Director. I can open up the HP Photo & Imaging Gallery. Can I somehow just reinstall the hpqdirec.exe without reinstalling everything over again? I can see both the hpqthb08 and hpqdirec icons in my Program Files/Hewlett-Packard/Digital Imaging/bin
Thanks
Gillian

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Rchacon (1/29/06 11:03 PM) reply+1 + / -
I am having same problem...I reinstalled my hp psc 1300 series all in one,and my hp director is gone. Would like to reinstall the hp director...please help...

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (2/9/06 6:18 AM) reply + / -
Make it three--same issue--installed a second All-In-One and now the HP Director file will not execute...

Re: Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (2/25/06 9:22 AM) reply + / -
hi anonymous

try this:

1- unplug the power supply to your printer.

2- turn off completly your computer from start menu.

3- and leave both for a while (5 minutes).

4- turn computer on and wait untill you see your desktop.

5 reconnect power supply to your printer.

6- put paper in document feeder to test.

7- let me know if it worked.

good luck
mercedes

Re: Can't open up HP Director by teabag87 (9/20/06 1:53 AM) reply+1 + / -
I had the same problem, and discovered that Internet Explorer 7 was the culprit. If you have Internet Explorer 7, try uninstalling it, and see if it works.

I have now uninstalled Internet Explorer 7 (I always use Firefox, but had to install Internet Explorer 7 because I a website that I was browsing didn't support Firefox), and HP Director now works perfectly fine. I have now installed Internet Explorer 6, and use it only when I have to.

I hope this helps!!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by RH (12/7/06 1:02 PM) reply + / -
Teabag87 you are a star.
After 1 week, 12 hours active problem solving, 6 chat communications with HP, your solution was the one.

It's indeed Internet Explorer 7 that interferes: remove it and it's all working, no need to reinstall the HP printer software.

HP have no idea how to solve their own problems, and obviously the problem is caused by a Microsoft product.

good luck to everyone out there

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Alien (12/21/06 9:19 AM) reply + / -
Well you're solution is here :)

After double-clicking on the HP Director icon, nothing appears to happen... the program is starting normally, but it’s hiding.
Wait a few seconds, then hold down the ALT key and press the space bar. A small dialogue box will appear.
Click on Minimize (you may have to click twice)
Voila! the HP Director task will appear in the task bar at the bottom of the screen - click it, and the program will appear and work normally.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (1/5/07 7:37 AM) reply + / -
Alien, you are a lifesaver! I hadn't been able to open my HP director for two weeks, reloaded the software etc etc and was pulling my hair out. I took you advice and "voila" there it was. Now I can get some work done. Thanks!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by jonwhite (1/24/07 9:41 AM) reply + / -
Hi,

Just a brief message.

Anyone who is having problems with HP Director and Internet Explorer 7. HP has released a patch on their web site that fixes the problem.

All you need to do is go to the HP web site (www.hp.com) for your particular piece of hardware and download the ie7 patch.

Good Luck

Jon White

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by BobRoberts (3/21/07 7:29 PM) reply + / -
IE7 is the culprit. I uninstalled the HP6110, rebooted, and reinstalled and HP Director wouldn't work. After reading this, I uninstalled IE7 and Voila! Thanks teabag87!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by teabag87 (3/21/07 8:10 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for all of your comments!

I've just discovered that HP have finally released an update to fix this problem! All you have to do is go to the this address http://h10025.www1.hp.com
(which is the HP website), and enter the model of your printer (Eg. PSC 1210). On the next screen, if there is a list of different printers, click on yours, and then select your operating system, and it should bring you to a page with a list of software and driver downloads. Scroll down until you see something that says "Critical update to resolve an issue with HP Director after installing Internet Explorer 7". Click on it and install the update.

I hope this helps! I installed the update, and have since reinstalled ie7, and HP Director works perfectly once again.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by farique (4/8/07 3:14 AM) reply + / -
wow! I really need to thank teabag87 for helping us with this problem. I was cracking my head just to solve this problem. Thanks a lot teabag87!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by teabag87 (4/8/07 3:27 AM) reply + / -
No problem! Glad to be of help!! :)

Re: Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (4/17/07 2:42 AM) reply + / -
Alien, Thank you so much!!

I was desperate and couldn't find any help. God bless you!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by mamamia (4/29/07 9:14 AM) reply + / -
I was very excited when I found this thread. But I still have my problem! My director (hpqdirec.exe) link is non-functional - computer cannot find it. And I can scan through the photo & imaging gallery as far but can't find the scans, they don't seem to go into any folder. I found the explorer 7 patch on the hp site, but when I downloaded that and re-booted my computer could not load Windows! So I had to remove that. I tried downloading it again, but now get the message that I don't need it. Then I removed explorer 7 but that made no difference. Help!!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by mamamia (4/29/07 9:18 AM) reply + / -
PS I tried the alt+space trick but that didn't work either

Re: Can't open up HP Director by wlulham (4/30/07 11:57 AM) reply + / -
mamamia: If your computer is even having trouble starting up Windows, this all may be a sign of having larger problems going on. You may need a reinstallation or repair of Windows. I'm using you're using XP?

Try going to hp.com and downloading the full driver for it. Uninstall all of your HP software (the printer, and anything that came with it), reboot the computer, then reinstall the full driver you just downloaded. The full version has all of the software that came with the printer.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (6/10/07 5:51 AM) reply + / -
Alien, your solution worked and I wish I had found it before the install, uninstall nightmares I have gone through with the HP Software. I am so impressed as I am not just a PC End-User, so how did you find the solution? If you choose not to respond, it is fine, just keep posting your solutions, this was a life saver as .pdf tools and image converter tools are not the way to go if you already have a scanner. Thanks!!!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by terri (7/17/07 9:43 PM) reply + / -
I am having the same problem with ie7 and hp director. I went to the HP site to download the patch and I can't even do that. Does anyone have any suggestions about downloading the patch.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Vic and Diana (7/27/07 11:17 PM) reply + / -
Thanks a lot for your solutions. We tried several and they all worked. The best thing to do is to download the update from the HP website at http://h10025.www1.hp.com . We came to the conclusion that Explorer 7 is the problem. Thanks a lot!!

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (8/1/07 2:11 PM) reply + / -
Jon, the patch for my psc 1210xi solved the problem
immediately. Thanks for your sharing help !

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Aaron Brown (8/14/07 10:08 AM) reply + / -
I had the problem of HP Photo and Imaging Director not
appearing when I started it. Before I found this thread, I
tried uninstalling and reinstalling the HP software from the
CD. After the reinstall, I had a different problem: Photo
and Imaging Director was not reinstalled. The shortcut was
recreated, but clicking on it gave the message "Windows is
searching for Hpqdirec.exe. To locate the file yourself,
click Browse."

I went to the HP site and downloaded the IE7 patch,
CIT207355-HPCOM-PATCH-v8.exe, but when I ran it, I got the
message "This update does not support any of the HP device
drivers that you have on your PC. You do not need this
software update."

I thought that maybe the problem with IE7 was also messing
up the reinstallation of the HP software, so I:

- Went to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and
  removed IE7 (leaving me with IE6).
- Uninstalled the HP software (by putting in the CD and
  selecting "Uninstall").
- Reinstalled the HP software, after which I was able to use
  Director.
- Reinstalled IE7, after which I was able to use Director
  but only with the Alt-Space trick described above.
- Ran the CIT207355-HPCOM-PATCH-v8.exe patch, after which I
  was able to use Director normally again.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (8/14/07 12:06 PM) reply + / -
So easy when you know how! This gets you into HP Director.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by gilliano56 (8/16/07 6:39 AM) reply + / -
Hi everyone, I started this thread and would like to thank you all for your replies, it's very much appreciated. I did not get the problem solved but meanwhile I had my hard disk formatted (not because of this problem) and after re-installing windows XP and OE 6, I don't have this problem any longer.
Thanks again everyone, I hope the rest of you will manage to solve this problem.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by magic2me (8/25/07 1:08 AM) reply + / -
After applied the HP patch, the HP Photo and Imaging Director works fine now. Thanks for sharing this info and all who appended.

To Aaron Brown, looks like you didn't install all the software that came with the CD.
Why not download the Software Cleanup Utility, run it to clear everything up. And then install the printer driver/software again. If the HP Photo and Imaging Director stil don't come up, the download and apply the patch.

For my case, IE7 was the culprit, and the patch fixed it.

Hope this helps.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (8/30/07 6:58 PM) reply + / -
Worked Perfectly!
Great solution. Very impressed. I was about to throw up my hands and start cursing after reading all the comments about uninstalling internet explorer 7. But the alt key plus spacebar and minimize worked GREAT!

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (9/3/07 8:36 AM) reply + / -
Thanks! This is a very usefull thing because I spent whole day trying to install new version of HP Director. Nothing happend after installing new version, so this was only solution of my problem

Can't open up HP Director - SOLUTION by Anonymous (9/9/07 9:12 PM) reply + / -
Thank you Jon White. You providing the permanent fix.

Rgds,
Bob

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (9/17/07 9:38 PM) reply + / -
God bless you. I've been struggling for a while, and stumbled upon your simple fix. Now I can continue on. Thanks again.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (9/27/07 1:11 PM) reply + / -
Many thanks as this was the first thing that came up on Google for the problem. The patch works great!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by The Tinman (10/6/07 2:13 AM) reply + / -
This has got to be the biggest bucket of sh!te going around...

I have un, in and re-installed, plus the patch, about 5 times...the final hurdle...what do I need it for ? Scanning...

I get the following message when I go to check Scan Document Settings - "The program could not find any available destinations to which you can send scans....Please reinstall to restore destination information"... AARRGGHH

When I try to scan I get the friendly "An unexpected internal error has occurred"...

Has this happened to anyone else ? Is their a fix that doesn't entail the "All in One" learning to fly ?!?!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Bert (10/6/07 10:13 AM) reply + / -
It seems that you have looked over this thread for the various solutions that have been successful. You have mentioned installs and uninstalls without specifics. I know you are frustrated but the more pertinent details you can give the better, like the model of your printer for instance.

If the problem started with IE7 dump it and reinstall IE6. If you like tabbed browsing install Firefox. As one person mentioned, you can always revert to IE if you find a website thats incompatible.

I haven't experienced the HP Director issue first hand but I can offer a few suggestions although not knowing which all-in-one you have. HP has driver patches for some models that are designated as "critical." I suggest downloading and installing the latest driver and any patches that are available. Uninstall the old driver before installing the new. HP typically supplies an uninstall utility.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (10/8/07 2:56 PM) reply + / -
Great solution, who would have thought. I thought I was just going to go crazy. THANX

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (10/12/07 1:52 AM) reply + / -
thanks it worked

Re: Can't open up HP Director by psu921 (10/12/07 11:32 PM) reply + / -
I have found all the answers mentioned above, but when I go to the link to up date the IE7 patch for HP director there isn't a download button on the screen like the other patches. If you look at the scanner list of updates most device have the patch but when you search a product choose your OS the IE7 patch is not on any update page. It is like to took it away, but left the links to frustrate the S out of me.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Bert (10/13/07 12:04 AM) reply + / -
This may be an HP rabbit trail but here it is.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com

Re: Can't open up HP Director fax only by williams (10/15/07 3:14 PM) reply + / -
Have 5510 all in one director wont open fax all ther dir, works

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Bert (10/15/07 5:59 PM) reply + / -
armitage11

If the problem started with IE7 uninstall it and reinstall IE6. If you like tabbed browsing install Firefox. As one person mentioned, you can always revert to IE6 if you find a website thats incompatible.

williams

You didn't say under what circumstances HP Director quit working. If the problem started after installing IE7, see my advice to armitage11 above.

If it is due to unexplained reasons and you are using Windows XP, download and run the uninstaller on the web page below, then download and install the latest driver on the same page. Also review the updates listed.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director fax only by Anonymous (10/17/07 3:51 PM) reply + / -
I have 5510 and HP Director will not start, this link makes it work -
http://www.softflare.com/index.php?id=73

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Irving (10/17/07 9:46 PM) reply + / -
Thanks this worked well

Re: Can't open up HP Director by kweens (10/18/07 1:19 PM) reply + / -
I am getting wiser about the HP problem with IE7. I have downloaded and tried to use the patch that has been described. When I double click on the exe file, I first get a message from my virus protector that I have several viruses. When I ask for a disinfect it says it can't as the object was renamed. That I don't understand. Behind the virus warning is the message that Windows can't access the the path/file and that I may not have permission to access the file. Behind that the message that access has been denied. So the patch has not worked on my Scanjet 4070. I don't know if the virus thing is related.

As for the alt- space bar angle, that does get me Director on the screen, but only allows me to use the Copy to Printer function, not the scan functions. As I ask for scan, it says that " an error has occured with the scanning device ... insure the scanning device is connected ..." Of course I know it is connedted or I could use the copy to printer function or use Photoshop CS to operate the scanner. Any further advice?

Re: Can't open up HP Director by kweens (10/19/07 12:30 PM) reply + / -
This is a further report on what worked for me. I got rid of the patches (which had not worked). I removed IE7, and loaded Firefox. Then I uninstalled HP and reinstalled it. Then I still needed to do the alt-space bar routine suggested in the earlier posts. It all works well, but all steps were/are required.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (10/20/07 8:38 AM) reply + / -
Thankyou!. it worked!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by kweens (10/20/07 9:13 AM) reply + / -
I have one more story to tell. After I thought I had all my ducks lined up with Director, my wife informs me she could no longer access her work computer. When I looked into that, I realized that she required Internet Explorer for that. So I had to reinstall IE7. As an affirmation of the sacrifice I made for her, I went back to Director, expecting to feel a little sorry for myself, but it worked! I needed to still use the alt-space bar routine. I am re-reading some previous posts and recognizing that I may simply be restating what others have said. In my computer I conclude that the order may be important ... putting HP first, then IE7.... who knows ....

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Claude Mallette (10/20/07 11:44 AM) reply + / -
I tried to download the patch file several times from the HP site but each time the file was empty.

So I decided to write a script which simulates the + sequence (i.e. +
followed by "Minimize" option twice). It worked. At last, I got rid of that annoying issue!!!

I have a Scanjet 3670 scanner and, even if I almost always use Mozilla Firefox for Internet browsing, I have IE7.

Here's the content of the script.
=============================================
var WshShell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");

var dirfile="C:\\Program Files\\Hewlett-Packard\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\Hpqdirec.exe";

var oExec = WshShell.Exec(dirfile);

WScript.Sleep(3000);

WshShell.SendKeys("%( )"); //equivalent of Alt+spacebar

WshShell.SendKeys("{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{ENTER}"); // "Down" key 3 times to go to "Minimize" option
WshShell.SendKeys("{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{ENTER}"); // "Down" key 3 times to go to "Minimize" option one more time

var oExec = WshShell.Exec(dirfile);
=============================================
I can't guarantee it should work on any computer but it may worth a try.

Instructions :

1. Open your notepad editor.
2. Copy and paste the code above in notepad.
3. If necessary, substitute "Hewlett-Packard" by "HP" (line 3), depending on the location of your digital imaging programs (i.e. it can be at "C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging" instead of "C:\Program Files\Hewlett- Packard\Digital Imaging").
4. Save with .js extenstion.
5. Try!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Claude Mallette (10/20/07 11:48 AM) reply + / -
I would have meant the following in the previous message :

"So I decided to write a script which simulates the Alt+Space sequence (i.e. Alt+Space
followed by "Minimize" option twice). It worked. At last, I got rid of that annoying issue!!!"

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (10/21/07 4:08 PM) reply + / -
THIS WAS THE BEST APPROACH!!! Thanks, Thanks.
Tried reinstalling the software. Couldn't find
that "COL10862.exe" patch even from the HP web site.
Claude's approach is the best. When they can't fix the software and the only solution is a mickey-mouse combination of keystrokes, then script the darn thing. The script worked. I gave it name like 'Launch HP Director' and am done. Now my wife can use the thing again :)
Thank you Claude.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by kweens (10/21/07 5:29 PM) reply + / -
Thanks, Claude. Works well for me.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by DrgnMstr (edited 10/23/07 1:08 AM) reply + / -
For those of you having trouble downloading the ie7 hp director patch from HP (0 byte file size) here is a direct link that works!
http://
h30318.www3.hp.com/pub/softlib/software8/COL17377/oj-46104-1/CIT207355 -HPCOM-PATCH-v8.exe
Good luck...

Re: Can't open up HP Director by DrgnMstr (edited 10/23/07 1:55 AM) reply + / -
h30318.www3.hp.com/pub/softlib/software8/COL17377/oj-46104-1/CIT207355 -HPCOM-PATCH-v8.exe
this link will not post correctly, please put the http:// in front of the link, and remove the space between CIT207355 and -HPCOM.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by bokos (10/24/07 6:51 AM) reply + / -
1) The Alt + Space worked on my sisters PC which had the same problem.
2) The link is not working. Damned HP!!
3) Haven't tried to script it yet but I will when I get my hands on my sisters PC.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (10/24/07 1:01 PM) reply + / -
my god.. stupid IE 7! Thanks teabag!

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (10/27/07 8:48 AM) reply + / -
Hey your are awesome man. I had this problem for last 6 months.
I really appreciate

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (10/28/07 9:19 AM) reply + / -
DrgnMstr -- you are a lifesaver!

I looked all through this thread to see if anyone had the problem I was having -- the HP fix that was downloading was 0kb -- and I received a "not a valid Win32 application" message when I tried to run it (obviously).

Your link worked perfectly, and I was able to download a file that actually executed the fix.

Thanks a million!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by prakit (10/30/07 10:31 AM) reply + / -
Thank teabag87 and Alien. You are my life saver.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (11/5/07 11:06 AM) reply + / -
After nearly a year, it's fixed, thanks to all those in this community that took the time to post solutions to a difficult-to-diagnose problem. The direct link to the patch file is what finally saved me. Many many thanks to everyone, especially DrgnMstr.

Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (11/7/07 6:30 PM) reply + / -
This was the perfect solution without having to go back to IE6.
It works perfectly. The tech in India I spoke with tonight had NO clue about this.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (11/10/07 11:28 AM) reply + / -
I ran this patch and it worked magically. But, if I click the icon of the Scanjet 3970 it tells me that it can't locate the software and I should check the connections etc. even though HP Director works fine. Should I just ignore this or is there a simple solution.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by jbanngold@yahoo.com (11/17/07 5:32 PM) reply + / -
thank you.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (11/24/07 1:47 PM) reply + / -
Thank you for your help, your fix worked! I have a HP5510 all-in-one,I used Iternet Explorer 7 but not no more. My Diretor is working now. Thanks Again

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by T-ball (12/9/07 8:38 AM) reply + / -
Thanks--worked--but unfortunately it Ihave to do it every time, but still liked the approach you had an since I scan rarely no big problem to do the little extra work

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (12/13/07 1:25 PM) reply+1 + / -
this works great

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (12/20/07 2:25 PM) reply + / -
Alien: your solution is perfect, thanx

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (12/20/07 4:28 PM) reply + / -
Alien,
You are a genious!! How did you know to do that? I can't thank you enough, you are amazing. A million thank yous for this work around!!

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by vespinoza (12/20/07 4:55 PM) reply + / -
You rock teabag87!! I can't thank you enough for this fix. I was pounding my head for two days working through issues with that darn HP psc 2510 software. I've had this printer for like 2-3 years and it never had full functionality because of one thing or another not working, but mostly scanning problems. I'm so glad I saw your post! Many thanks!!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Henry F Rogers (12/25/07 11:36 AM) reply + / -
All my trouble went away after I re-installed Win98se. I use XP on some of my other computers but my main computer is still running Win98se and I am not upgrading this computer since it works fine with all my old printer and HP Director. If you want to use your old printer hook it up to an old computer and your problem will go away. HP sells hardware and I think they could care less about your problem.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by l7squarebiz (1/4/08 1:17 PM) reply + / -
IE7 & hp director will work together. hp's fix is: 1. to open hp director with icon or in start menu. 2. hit alt & spacebar @ same time. 3. hit minimize in menu in left top corner until you see hp director. I found this on the hp website. If I missed something that worked better, sorry. Just trying to help.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by l7squarebiz (1/4/08 1:21 PM) reply + / -
I have a Compaq running XP & the fix I posted works for me.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (1/6/08 3:50 PM) reply + / -
HAHA!

Alien you are a legend! This trick works fab!

Nice one!

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (1/22/08 1:43 AM) reply + / -
Hi Tea Bag

Soooooooooooooooooooooo very well done - I have been struggling since November, tried the uninstall, reinstall had the it guy on my machine for ever to no avail.

Eventually I just told everyone that my scanner was broken - as there was no way I could scan to email - and if I scanned to imaging you could not forward the mail anyway.

Well done once again.

kind regards

Penny Oliver

Here is the fix from Microsoft by ComputerIgnorant (1/24/08 8:01 PM) reply + / -
I ended up e-mail Microsoft Customer Service. The second method outlined below worked for me. The link to the page discussed in the second method is towards the end of the e-mail. You won't have to uninstall or reinstall anything. Take care!
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.

I understand from your message that after the installation of Internet Explorer 7, HP Director is not functioning correctly. I will be glad to assist you in resolving the issue.

In October 2006, Microsoft released Internet Explorer 7. The HP Director software that shipped with some HP products introduced between 2002 and 2004 may not be compatible with Internet Explorer 7. The HP Solution Center software, which replaced HP Director Software, does not exhibit this issue with Internet Explorer 7.

I have included few methods that may address your issue, use one of the following methods to resolve this issue:

Method 1: Use the HP Software Update utility

1. Click Start, All Programs, and then click HP.

2. Select HP Software Update, and then accept the update titled Critical update to prevent or resolve an HP Director issue.

NOTE: The description for the update is: This update prevents or resolves an issue with HP Director screens which may not function properly after upgrading to Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.

3. Follow the onscreen instructions to install the update.

Method 2: Download the updated driver

HP has released an update titled Critical update to resolve an issue with HP Director after installing Internet Explorer 7 to resolve this issue.

NOTE: If you have already received an update through the HP Software Update utility, you do not need to install the update from HP Software Download Page.

1. Go to the HP Software Download Page.

2. In the Enter a product number text box, type the printer model, and then press Enter .

3. Under Product search results, select the printer model.

4. Select the operating system.

5. Under Update, click Critical update to resolve an issue with HP Director after installing Internet Explorer 7.

6. Follow the onscreen instructions to install the update.

For details information on the method given above, please visit the following link:

Title: HP All-in-Ones, Printers, and Cameras - The HP Director Software Does Not Display after Internet Explorer 7 is Installed

http://h10025.www1.hp.com ru&product=371598

Please note that by using any referenced links, you will access third party sites. Such sites are not under the control of Microsoft and Microsoft is not responsible for such sites, the contents of such sites, any link contained in such sites, or any changes or updates to such sites. In addition, such third party sites may have their own privacy policies and you should review such privacy policies before submitting any personal information to such sites; Microsoft is not responsible for how such sites collect or use information about you. Microsoft is not responsible for webcasting or any other form of transmission received from any linked site. Microsoft is providing these links to you only as a convenience and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by Microsoft of the linked site.

I hope the above information is helpful. Meeting and exceeding your expectations are my top priorities. Please let us know if I have addressed your issue completely.

Thank you,
Microsoft Customer Service Representative

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (2/2/08 4:51 PM) reply + / -
I read your solution about the H P Director and it worked for me, Thanks!!!!!!! jp

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (2/7/08 7:15 AM) reply + / -
This trick works, but the window
is full of gibberish?
Thanks

Can't scan from HP Director by nathan2343 (2/21/08 8:21 PM) reply + / -
The problem I have is that I have a HP Color LaserJet 2820 and it will not let me scan from the HP Director or from the scanner to a folder. I keep getting a communications error. That wierd though b/c I can print, copy, and do everything else including pinging it for network conectivity. ??? I am currently reinstalling the installation CD and I hope that its just an software glitch.. But also the software was all up to date... If anyone has any comment please let me know what you have found! Thanks

Re: Can't scan from HP Director by Anonymous (2/22/08 4:54 AM) reply + / -
I found over the years when you have a problem with HP Printer, I completely uninstall the software and then reinstall. Sometimes HP will put out special software to uninstall it's software. Also don't plug in connection until software tells you to. Also I'm using IE6. I found HP Directer will not work with IE7.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Dan K6DC (2/23/08 1:44 PM) reply + / -
Hi. I'm having the same problem. But I found a workaround solution from the HP site that's great.

1. Double-click the HP Director icon to load the program into memory. You will not see HP Director open at this step. Do not click anything else on the screen until Step 2 is completed.

2. Press the ALT key and the Space bar together, and then select Minimize from the menu that displays in the upper left corner of the window. If necessary, click it again until HP Director minimizes.

The HP Director software now appears as an item on the Task Bar.

3. Click HP Director on the Task Bar. The software opens and displays normally.

4. Repeat Steps 1 through 3 every time the HP Director software is used.

Good Luck Dan K6DC

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (2/26/08 6:43 AM) reply + / -
ComputerIgnorant - Thanks a lot, second solution worked!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by cadiemil (3/24/08 4:19 AM) reply + / -
Hey, I read all the commnents and try everything and i still cant use my hp director. I can open it, but when i click to start using it dissapear!! Someone can tell what happens and how to fix it?

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (3/27/08 4:07 AM) reply + / -
Can't OPEN the Hp Director... I'm so mad cause I'm scared to install something that might harm my Computer...
I have Installed and Uninstalled and reinstalled the softwqre and nothing, it keeps telling me that "An error occurred communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again." PLEASE can some PLEASE HELLPPPPPPPPPP Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going Nuts and Fustrated that my kids can Not do thier Homework and have to the computer at school with so many othe rkids using the computers for No classwork/homework jsut linking into sites when my daughters have projects and Reports to do.
Please Help...

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by rob48 (3/28/08 3:45 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Alien
I was having the same problem. Tried everything and didn't know what else to try. You solution has helped me enormously.
Thanks again

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (4/5/08 2:16 PM) reply + / -
I want to check ink levels. I cannot open HP Director to get into settings then Printer setting then Printer toolbox. Please advise me how to get it back on. I have tried to reapply from diks not working.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by robert.hall (4/7/08 5:17 AM) reply + / -
i am having trubli opening hp director

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (4/7/08 9:27 PM) reply + / -
A while back "Alien" posted a cure:

1. double-click on the HP Director icon
2. after 2-3 seconds, hold down the ALT key and press the SPACEBAR
3. A small dialogue box appears
4. Click on Minimize
5. Once the icon appears on your TaskBar, click it and voila! you have HP Director.

Alternatively, HP has also posted a response (about a year later!) for you to try - you can check it out where you posted your query!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by KADKAT (4/8/08 5:52 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so much teabag87.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by PC mess (4/9/08 5:27 PM) reply + / -
alt/spacebar worked beautifully before I did reformatting,
now it's back to original problem---nothing opens it.
No new software offered...sup? Anybody know?

Re: Can't open up HP Director by robert hall (4/10/08 1:38 AM) reply + / -
i did what ALIEN suggested and hp director did open but it only has HELP and README on the open page any more suggestions

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (4/11/08 1:31 AM) reply + / -
Thanks mate for the tip. It works briliantly. Could not have figured that such a little thing can get the bugger going.

L. Marsh

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (4/11/08 4:53 PM) reply + / -
I've got a HP psc 1200 series and cant open Director, it only happened after i got my updates from Micro$oft,one for my printer was included is there a patch i can get to fix it. The HP site just keeps sending me to link after link. My head is about to explode i need to printout my assigment reports and not use my old printer that takes a year and a day to work....Please help i'm going insane.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (4/28/08 6:31 PM) reply + / -
THANK YOU!!!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by driesdb (5/3/08 3:38 PM) reply + / -
In windows Vista it's the same problem but no update posibility!
I can't use the HP-director.
Can I download it somewere?

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (5/6/08 1:03 PM) reply + / -
Also can't open up HP Director. Bought & installed new ink cartridges using HP brand for HP1350 -- it printed out page to aleign print cartridge but unfortunately I used wrong paper sheet which had a photo on & now cannot request another print aleignment without the HP Director-- Any solution?

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Andjohs (5/9/08 4:00 AM) reply + / -
teabag87

Thank you so much! Worked perfectly.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (5/11/08 3:52 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Alien

Your solution worked perfectly in seconds

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (5/12/08 11:21 AM) reply + / -
Good 1! I tried it and worked

but how can i use it without your "Voila" style?

thanks

Re: Can't open up HP Director by fatanky (5/14/08 5:58 AM) reply + / -
Great help thanks to all, I think I might have found another glitch.
I had the Director problem on my laptop, but by uninstalling and reinstalling software I got it to work using the Alt+Space-> minimize x 2, but then the scanner would not work.
I realised that I had installed HP Image Zone Plus from the installation disks (I have an HP laptop)and it was still installed after I had gone through the uninstalling of the printer software.
So I went to Add/Remove Programmes and removed EVERY HP product.
So I went:-
1) Uninstall IE7, then reinstall IE6..if doesn't come automatically, use Windows or installation disks.
2) Uninstall all HP software for printer and any other HP stuff like Image Zone.
3) Reinstall printer software (but not stuff like Image Zone).
That's it for me, I have kept IE6 on laptop as I use Firefox.

On my PC, I have IE7 running and I had to use the Alt+Space trick, but got the patch from Microsoft and now all works fine. I never had Image Zone installed on PC, so that seems to be the issue!

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (5/31/08 6:53 PM) reply + / -
Thank you. It worked for me. I have spent hours on this project that use to open w/o problems. Then it would not open 1 day. Now it does after using your suggestion. Thanks again, Jim

Re: Can't open up HP Director by nickedom (6/2/08 4:59 PM) reply + / -
Ihave 2 CPU's hooked to the same HP psc1315....both have the same version of IE 7 (7.0.5730.11)....Director works fine on one and not the other! The difference that I see is that the one that works has XP sp2 running and the one that doesn't work has XP sp3 running.I did a system restore to sp2 and director started working again. IE 7 or sp3??? I too am tired of the old "UN & IN" routine.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by alwaysontop (6/2/08 6:16 PM) reply + / -
Many thanks to those who provided the solution. I was going crazy my HP Dir won't open . I was even thinking of reformatting my disk until I saw this thread. Who needs IE7 anyways when you have Firefox? Afterall, I can open firefox-incompatible websites with the old IE.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Absinthe (6/5/08 8:35 AM) reply + / -
My problem with HP Director is a bit different. I have an HP ScanJet3500C and when I try to scan using the Director I get the error message "an error occurred communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again." There is no problem with the connections as I can scan using several other programs with no problem and HP Director works fine when making copies. I'm using Windows XP and IE6. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by DrLes (6/5/08 10:16 AM) reply + / -
I have the same problem with the Director software as many have described but none of the solutions have worked for me. I can't get help from HP either. I have a ScanJet 4070 scanner. I bought a new Dell Inspiron 530 running XP Pro to replace another older dell. The Director software worked fine on my old computer which had IE7 and XP home edition installed. The scanner works fine with other programs on the Dell 530 and with windows utility for cameras and scanners. So I know the problem is with the Director software. I have tried many variations of uninstalling and reinstalling both IE versions 6 & 7) plus HP software for the scanner. I even uninstalled all HP software for all HP devices and reinstalled but nothing has let me use HP's Director software. BTW I also have an HP 1320 laser printer and an HP R707 camera.

I would be truly grateful for any help.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director. Thanks!!! by Anonymous (7/9/08 6:50 AM) reply + / -
Dear Alien:

Thank you for your post on the Alt/Spacebar solution. I just spent 5-6 hours yesterday trying to fix HP Director, installing & reinstalling, etc. Your solution, which I found this morning, was perfect.

Thanks!!!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by viragoMike (7/9/08 9:12 AM) reply + / -
HP director will not start. I can get it to open using the {ALT}{SPACE} work around but when the window opens there is nothing in it but the blue background.
It also displays the IE Script error:
line: 94
file://C:\Program Files\HP\Digital
Imaging\bbfe\director\director2.htm

I have removed IE ver.7, uninstalled then reinstalled HP software and loaded the patch from HP, but problem persists.
Any suggestions?

Re: Can't open up HP Director by nickedom (7/9/08 1:59 PM) reply + / -
Howdy,
Back again. I found a new twist! I had never registered my psc 1315 and we know it is several years old. I thought that if I did that The "Magic Update" would appear. Well what happened is that 2 days later the thing took a major nosedive...jamming and slamming the carriage & not recognizing any papaer. Director problem solved....Get a new printer. Even though I think HP sent a "self distruct" code to the printer....I went out and bought their C4280 for $60. NO MORE ISSUES or LOST TIME! If problems develop with this model....it may be my last HP. Ditch director, get a new printer and reduce your stress.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (7/17/08 12:35 PM) reply + / -
Thanks sooooooo much.....you are a lifesaver!!!!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (7/25/08 8:00 AM) reply + / -
listen to that dude "alien" up top friends, he knows what he's talking about

Re: Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (8/9/08 2:34 PM) reply + / -
can not remove que from printer so can do another job

Re: Can't open up HP Director by outlander (8/19/08 12:12 AM) reply + / -
I just stumbled in a workaround (not a fix) for this problem. I opened the "Scanners and Cameras" folder in Control Panel. By clicking on the icon for my HP Scanjet 2400, I got the scanner to work. Kinda long-winded, because that icon launches a wizard, not the HP application itself. But eventually, after you have answered a lot of elementary questions, the scanner creaks into action and delivers a picture.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by naturlm (9/2/08 9:10 AM) reply + / -
I have had several problems with using my director with my psc 1315 over past couple years. I have both IE 7 and Firefox installed, use mostly firefox. The last few months every time I opened director it would first give me an error msg: hpqselsk.exe - common language runtime debugging service error. I would click cancel, to debug application and then it would give me another error msg, which after I clicked cancel, director would finally open and be usable.

I downloaded the HP fix for IE 7. No change in how my director worked. Thinking I had a bad HP all in one pgm, I uninstalled all my HP programs, went to HP web site and downloaded the their all in one pgm. Then director would not open at all. I then read H10025.www1.hp.com and decided my problem was in the hp1 and hp2 scan files. I copied all my hp2 files to hp1 as recommended by an HP tech, even though this put some hp2 non folder icon files into the hp1 file. This didn't seem correct but is what HP told me to do per the H10025.www1. document. Now after uninstalling and reinstalling all in one several times, I keep getting the msg "could not find part of path to \hp1_skindef.xml. Well of course it couldn't find it, there is no hp1_skindef.xml in the skin hp1 folder. So then I asked the HP on line tech where to find a skindef.xml file. He told me to repeat an uninstall and then an install to fix things. I did this uninstall and install twice more, still have same problem. Even did a registry cleanup after the uninstall, before starting the install, but it didn't fix the problem. I think I need a hp1_skindef.xml file in my skin hp1 folder ? but I don't know how to obtain one ? A search of my HP psc 1315 software cd and my computer did not turn up one. Neither did a search for one on the HP support web site.

Using Windows explorer, do any of you people who are able to open and use director sucessfully, do you have an hp1_skindef.xml file in your skins/hp1 folder ? Is there another name for this hp1_skindef.xml file. Why is my computer looking for it ?

Any suggestions on what I should do at this point, beyond buying a new printer ?

Very frustrating, I have spent over 50 hrs the last 3 days trying to fix this, may never buy HP again ? I am especially upset non of the on line HP techs seem to want to help me, beyond sending me to the HP h10025 web file and telling be to do more uninstalls and reinstalls !!!!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by naturlm (9/2/08 9:18 AM) reply + / -
Well, guess what. I just tryed the:

1. double click director icon
2. hit alt and space bar together
3. hit minimize in upper left corner
4. now, I note there is hp director file on bottom bar of my screen
5. click on hp director in bottom bar, low and behold, director opens and seems normal and functional.

Soooooo even with all the other error msg's I was getting, the problem I have, must also relate to IE 7. I will next try downloading the HP IE7 file fix. Wish me luck !!!

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (9/2/08 2:16 PM) reply + / -
Alien your resolution worked. Thanks. I kept reading and saw there was a patch to fix the problem and it worked also. Thanks, this site was very helpful.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (9/9/08 8:48 AM) reply + / -
i can't find the hp director .also the icon is not on my destop

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (9/13/08 5:32 PM) reply + / -
Does anyone know how to make the HP Director and the HP Photo & Imaging to work with Vista? Doesn't seem to be an update on HP's sites...

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Bo Jangles (9/23/08 12:52 PM) reply + / -
Alien,
I followed your instructions and IT WORKED! Yippee.
Thank YOU.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by mario_pistol (10/9/08 11:06 PM) reply + / -
I'm Having the same problem opening up HP Director with Vista. None of the solutions worked so far. Does anyone know how to solve the problem?

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Mcygee (10/13/08 12:02 PM) reply + / -
Another resolution that worked for me on my Scanjet 8300 was uninstalling all Adobe (or Macromedia) Flash programs and then reinstalling the latest version from Adobe's website.

After I did that it ran correctly. Though we've had some flash related problems here so it may not apply to anybody else. We even had to uninstall Flash using Microsoft's "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility" because the adobe/macromedia uninstaller wasn't getting all the components.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Again this may not help anybody else, but it solved my problem.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (10/24/08 4:21 PM) reply + / -
I tried your solution and it worked! I was amazed that doing something so simple would work. More amazing than that is it worked the first time. I have been trying to get it to work for the last four days. I have done ten to fifteen downloads trying to get it to work. Thank you!!!

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (10/30/08 3:19 PM) reply + / -
This worked....thank you!!!!!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by gitta (11/3/08 9:57 AM) reply + / -
HP wanted to charge $60 to tell me how to "find" the HP director for my PSC 750 all in one. I am using vista and firefox. I can't seem to find edit options for the scanning feature. Thanks

Re: Can't open up HP Director by shirleyjean (11/4/08 8:19 AM) reply + / -
I can bring my HP director up but when I try to create or edit a photo/ create a album it is giving me a error message that it is missing or corrupt. Please reinstall. Can I install the IE7 to resolve this problem?

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (11/5/08 12:13 PM) reply + / -
I asked HP and they said there weren't any updates or anything else that could make HP Director/HP Photo & Imaging working with Vista.

So Gitta, save your $60...

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (11/12/08 12:50 PM) reply + / -
I use an HP system w/Vista (was my son's previous PC), but it does not have 'Director' - whatever that is (should be glad I'm running less HP sw)!! Guess, I'm just using an HP PC as a piece of iron. But, I do have problems with (I'm thinking now) IE7. It has become extremely slow loading pages (and use a v. high speed Verizon FiOS connection). The aforementioned links do not really work (try them yourself). Overall, curious why a stupid printer (C3180 All-In-One in my case) would be involved in an IE7 problem - it's soooo dumb. And, wouldn't an IE7 fix come from MS vs. HP? I'm going to try loading a new C3180 driver, but have my doubts it'll help. Again, why would a stupid printer driver affect IE7 or performance when I'm not even printing so much? Yea, yea, I know, it's all sw and any sw can do anything is the amswer, right?

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (11/12/08 1:13 PM) reply + / -
I went to www.hp.com site and did a search on my printer and the driver downloads, and ended up at this screen:

But, it DOES NOT show any IE7 downloads! Can you relay the correct URL to find the IE7 fix for my printer, a C3180 All-in-One? Thanks.

Re: Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (11/12/08 1:15 PM) reply + / -
The site should have been (put all 3 phrases adjacent):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/

ewfrf/wc/softwareList?

os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=1146331

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (11/16/08 11:54 AM) reply + / -
alien, you are ace!!!

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (11/19/08 10:04 PM) reply + / -
WOW ... you are right on! I followed your directions and it appeared. I just hope I don't have to do this everytime.

Scott

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (11/19/08 10:26 PM) reply + / -
Your are the master. Your instructions worked and it showed up. I additionally downloaded the hp IE 7 patch and now everything works perfect.

One question ... How in the hell did you figure out your instructions?

Just curious.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by gena (11/22/08 12:52 PM) reply + / -
My hp director rectangle box will open to a blank setting. At the lower bottom it does say hp director. I tried the alt + space and the double clicking minimize bar, but it does not work for me. I am using IE6 running on Windows 98 and using HP PSC 1610 printer. Any suggestions other than upgrade everything.?

Re: Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (12/4/08 1:52 PM) reply + / -
Thank you very much, I can scan again!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Ozonefog (12/19/08 12:52 AM) reply + / -
I cannot open my director either. Cannot scan. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. No icon for director to work with. Icon for imaging monitor in task bar, right click and says launch director, but when i do, nothing happens. i had ie7 but went back to ie6 and still nothing. If i try to use scanner camera wizard says it does not detect a scanner. I'm going nuts! Please help..i've tried the patches too.UGHHHHHHHHHH

Re: Can't open up HP Director by trying to help (12/30/08 6:55 AM) reply+1 + / -
CIT207355-HPCOM-PATCH-v8.exe, (1/1 , 925.55k)
If anyone is still having trouble with hp director not opening because you upgraded your ie(browser) to 7 or 8 download this link or file at top or go to: http://h10025.www1.hp.com
and download the file at top of page, it will leave icon on desktop, run it and rebott computer and that should take care of it. Good Luck

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (1/6/09 9:19 PM) reply + / -
I too could not get HP director to work, I tried the alt space trick
but all of the Director wasn't there and would not work, I tried the
critical patch but it said
"This update does not support any of the HP device
software update."
uninstalled & reinstalled several times - still didn't work
Uninstalled java, reinstalled director and patch still didn't work!
I uninstalled IE7, reinstalled the Director, reinstalled the patch
only to get the same message!
rebooted what seamed to be a thousand times!
reinstalled IE7
installed HP's new software but I didn't like it so I uninstalled it

this is how I finally fixed HP Director

1. go to add & remove programs - remove all HP software
restart computer
2. go to add & remove programs - remove all java software
restart computer
3. go to my computer open disk C - open programs - delete any
HP program folders still in your program files, if they
wont delete because you get a message saying that it is
write protected or a program is open - then open task manager
and end the task or all tasks that start with hp (hpgs2wnf.exe,
hpds2wnd.exe, HpqCmon.exe) (this is what was running on my computer at the time)
close task manager and go back to program files and delete all Hp
files still there.
restart computer
4. Turn off all firewalls, anti virus, parental controls you have running
5. Install HP software
6. plug in your HP device - (mine was a camera) so that your computer
recognizes it
7. run the patch from HP (CIT207355-HPCOM-PATCH-v8.exe)
restart computer
8. reinstall the version of Java that you had on your computer
9. Hp Director should work normally now if it doesn't (this is what

happened to me - I could not do save as or open the photo printing)
go back to C - program files - Hewlett Packard - bin - and right click
every .exe file you find and click properties click the compatibility
tab on top - uncheck the compatibility mode it is set for and hit apply.
ALL this Finally made my HP Director work normally

10. Don't forget to turn all your security back on!

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (1/6/09 9:23 PM) reply + / -
I too could not get HP director to work, I tried the alt space trick
but all of the Director wasn't there and would not work, I tried the
critical patch but it said
"This update does not support any of the HP device
software update."
uninstalled & reinstalled several times - still didn't work
Uninstalled java, reinstalled director and patch still didn't work!
I uninstalled IE7, reinstalled the Director, reinstalled the patch
only to get the same message!
rebooted what seamed to be a thousand times!
reinstalled IE7
installed HP's new software but I didn't like it so I uninstalled it

this is how I finally fixed HP Director

1. go to add & remove programs - remove all HP software
restart computer
2. go to add & remove programs - remove all java software
restart computer
3. go to my computer open disk C - open programs - delete any
HP program folders still in your program files, if they
wont delete because you get a message saying that it is
write protected or a program is open - then open task manager
and end the task or all tasks that start with hp (hpgs2wnf.exe,
hpds2wnd.exe, HpqCmon.exe) (this is what was running on my computer at the time)
close task manager and go back to program files and delete all Hp
files still there.
restart computer
4. Turn off all firewalls, anti virus, parental controls you have running
5. Install HP software
6. plug in your HP device - (mine was a camera) so that your computer
recognizes it
7. run the patch from HP (CIT207355-HPCOM-PATCH-v8.exe)
restart computer
8. reinstall the version of Java that you had on your computer
9. Hp Director should work normally now if it doesn't (this is what

happened to me - I could not do save as or open the photo printing)
go back to C - program files - Hewlett Packard - bin - and right click
every .exe file you find and click properties click the compatibility
tab on top - uncheck the compatibility mode it is set for and hit apply.
ALL this Finally made my HP Director work normally

10. Don't forget to turn all your security back on!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Ozonefog (1/7/09 7:03 AM) reply + / -
Thanks! I really appreciate all the help..something has got to work.

Re: Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (1/7/09 7:06 AM) reply + / -
Haha..when I called HP, the tech guy looked for a solution, then told me it would be easier if I just bought a new printer and proceeded to try to sell me one!! Un-freakin-believable!! He also said this would be cheaper than paying for a more detailed tech support solution...thanks HP! DOH

Re: Can't open up HP Director by BryceO (1/8/09 9:15 PM) reply + / -
....I have had HP 5500 for several years. Previously hooked up to old computer then installed on new computer a year ago. No problem. New computer running with XP, IE 7, and TrendMicro Internet Security 2007 antivirus program. No problem. The antivirus program just expired yesterday. This morning I purchased an online download of TrendMicro Internet Security Pro 2009 antivirus program. Now I have a problem. Tlhe new antivirus program knocked out my HP Director. The HP Director would not open no matter my angle of sleuthly approach. I tried the workaround technique above recommended by a genius. Double click on the HP Director icon then wait a second or two then press ALT key followed by pressing SPACE BAR. A small box will pop up and then click on minimize which places "HP Director" on TASK BAR. Click on the TASK BAR and yes by golly, "viola" the HP Director window will open. So, this is my story with an antivirus program.....maybe it will work for you also. Thanks for the contribution by the genius. Bryce

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (1/17/09 1:59 PM) reply + / -
Hey Alien,

Great work! You've once again proved a lifesaver!

Patrick

Re: Can't open up HP Director by souzalw (2/19/09 6:22 PM) reply + / -
when someone sends me a fax that I need the paper is blank when I get it. why is that? I know it has Ink because I can copy from other paper and it will print.

Louie

can't open printer toolbox by coltman (2/21/09 9:35 AM) reply + / -
When I open my HP solution center and go to toolbox it will not open up. I receive no more ink supply status when I'm printing, so I tried to open the toolbox won't open. I have an HP officejet 5610 all-in-one. Thank you

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rfm (3/6/09 4:44 PM) reply + / -
My Director opens fine, but none of the functions work. You click on them and they just open and close. HP was no help at all. The Director was working fine and one day it wasn't. The printer works just fine otherwise. I do not use IE7. Any thoughts?

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (3/26/09 8:29 AM) reply+1 + / -
Oh my gosh that worked like charm!!!!! Thank you so, so much. Saved me a hours of time.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by anita514 (3/26/09 12:59 PM) reply + / -
I rolled back to IE6, rebooted, re-installed the HP software for my Scanjet 3970, rebooted and now Director is there and I can run it, but it always crashes when I click on Scan... any ideas?

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (3/29/09 11:16 AM) reply + / -
I have lost icon from the desktop.how do I get it back.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Santosh FS (4/1/09 4:36 AM) reply + / -
Try to download and install this patch
CIT207355-HPCOM-PATCH-v8.
Else give your e-mail id. i'll forward it.
check if it works.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by flgirl (4/3/09 1:36 PM) reply + / -
The patch doesn't seem to be a fix for VISTA. Any suggestions?

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (4/7/09 9:23 PM) reply + / -
thank you SOSOSOSO MUCH TEABAG!!!

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by santoshfs (4/7/09 10:43 PM) reply + / -
try this by googling.
scanjet_vista_tablet_patch.
check if it works.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Dan K6DC (4/8/09 5:41 AM) reply + / -
A re-print from 2/23/08

Hi. I'm having the same problem. But I found a workaround solution from the HP site that's great.

1. Double-click the HP Director icon to load the program into memory. You will not see HP Director open at this step. Do not click anything else on the screen until Step 2 is completed.

2. Press the ALT key and the Space bar together, and then select Minimize from the menu that displays in the upper left corner of the window. If necessary, click it again until HP Director minimizes.

The HP Director software now appears as an item on the Task Bar.

3. Click HP Director on the Task Bar. The software opens and displays normally.

4. Repeat Steps 1 through 3 every time the HP Director software is used.

Good Luck Dan K6DC

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by dons5657 (4/11/09 12:33 PM) reply + / -
Your solution was perfect! All is now O.K. Thank you

Re: Can't open up HP Director by solarstar (4/11/09 4:47 PM) reply + / -
This issue occurs with IE8 and Java 1.5.0 Update 08 also.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by owais (4/14/09 9:12 AM) reply + / -
when i click on Hp director ,runtime error occured. ive IE 7 and i ve installed path for scanjet 3770

line :175
Error:object required.

plz solve my problem

Re: Can't open up HP Director by owais (4/14/09 9:15 AM) reply + / -
when i click on Hp director ,runtime error occured. ive IE 7 and i ve installed pach for scanjet 3770

line :175
Error:object required.

plz solve my problem

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Six (4/25/09 4:47 PM) reply + / -
Alien, you're a genius, complete genius. The hours I've wasted on this thing, your solution was just so practical.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (5/2/09 7:16 AM) reply + / -
What if I don't have an HP Director icon?

Re: Can't open up HP Director by FRAYEDNOT (5/7/09 2:57 PM) reply + / -
thanks so much for the help, both by alien and also about the patch for ie7. i reinstalled the software three times before i found you guys!! You rock!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by bowiser (5/25/09 11:16 AM) reply + / -
I have the same problem with my hp psc 1210v all-in-one. I realized that I don't actually need HP director icon. If you want scan a picure, all you need to do is turn on printer/scanner and press the blue button "Scan"

Re: Can't open up HP Director by mapmgr (6/20/09 7:14 AM) reply + / -
Alien & Claude,

Thank you for the work-arounds! My problem began sometime around getting my OS repaired due to Norton GoBack. Since then I had installed a couple of other programs that I thought were interefering. Turns out that the reason was that the OS repair included an "upgrade" from IE 6 to IE 7.

I don't use the HP-Director with my Photosmart 7350, but I was getting frustrated trying to run my 4670 Scanner.

-- Glenn

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (6/20/09 4:19 PM) reply + / -
Is there a way to just load the printer driver without the Director?

Re: Can't open up HP Director by dwestcorp (6/21/09 2:15 AM) reply + / -

This fixed mine!!!!

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (6/22/09 11:34 AM) reply + / -
It is 20 June 2009. Many thanks for your suggestion in 2006 on the failure of HP Director. I tried it today and it worked!! I have used the program with my HP scanjet 3970 successfully for about 5 years, but recently I installed the new version of Internet Explorer - and then the trouble began with the HP scanner (at least I never had the problem before the updated Explorer was installed).

I earlier sent an email to HP asking for help. If they respond I shall tell them about your solution.

Many thanks again.

David Beal

Re: Can't open up HP Director by verygrateful (6/22/09 3:53 PM) reply + / -
Just to let you know my experience. I had just installed XP and then the printer. I had forgotten that XP's hardware dectection will interfere with the install of the printer unless I keep cancelling the detection or disable it. Anyway the technique described by Alien (alt > spacebar) and it worked!! I then tried going to the HP site recommended by Teabag87 - http://h10025.www1.hp.com - and downloaded the fix which has been renamed "Critical update to resolve an issue with HP Director after installing a new revision of Internet Explorer" which did work also and eliminated the need to pres alt > spacebar.

Thanks everybody. You saved me many frustrating hours.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rfm (6/22/09 5:04 PM) reply + / -
I downloaded the patch, but it will not run. ???

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (6/24/09 11:36 AM) reply + / -
I tried Alien's solution and it worked fine..the HP director opens, but when I try to scan, this message appears: "an error occurred communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again." Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks a lot

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rfm (6/24/09 11:53 AM) reply + / -
Communication errors are always a problem. I always end up powering everything down and re-sequencing everything back up. Sometimes it likes the printer on first, other times the computer.

HP stuff is becoming such a pain I'll never use any of their products again.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Veejay Steels (P) Lt (6/30/09 11:25 PM) reply + / -
i install internet explorer 8 and after this my hp director is not open. icon of hp director is shown but it not opened . image zone icon is still working properly. i want to work in copier for adjusting in original document setting.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by PapaT (8/27/09 9:07 AM) reply + / -
Thanks mercedes, you was right on target to fix my HP C8180.

Thanks again.

PapaT

Re: Can't open up HP Director by chrystinp (8/29/09 1:16 PM) reply + / -
After all these years this problem is still around. Have two Toshiba laptops that suddenly won't launch the HP Director. Downloaded the HP fix and now both work. We haven't updated IE, but apparently it resets itself due to whatever, and you have to do it again. So glad this thread is still accessible.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (8/30/09 4:51 PM) reply + / -
Alien,

You are the greatest. I have been trying to get this program to work for that last six months. I was about to buy another scanner.

This works great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank-you!!!

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (9/6/09 11:33 PM) reply + / -
Tried it and it worked!!! Thanks a bundle.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (9/10/09 9:25 AM) reply + / -
This is amazing! I thought it would be too simple to work, and yet this is the answer! How did you ever think of this? And, thanks, by the way.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (9/13/09 9:04 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the fix. I just did my first scan after using your tip.

Calum

Re: Can't open up HP Director by PennyLoafer63 (9/20/09 2:41 PM) reply + / -
You Guy's are lifesaver's,Haven't been able to use my printer in atleast a yr and VOILAAAAAAAAAAA!!
Thank God For Dan!!!! All of ya....LoL But Dan's solution fixed er' right up!!!!!!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by PennyLoafer63 (9/22/09 11:35 AM) reply + / -
Well,i finally updated,got the software and i can print offline and online perfectly,buttttttt The daggone Director won't open to all me to scan and i have tried scanning thru the gallery but notttta thang happens! LoL HELP??????? AND I HAVE MANAGED TO KEEP ONE HAIR IN MY HEAD BUT IT'S LOOKIN GRIM!!

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (9/30/09 4:44 PM) reply + / -
Thank you Alien! Your solution was the answer for me! Thank goodness for blogs like these:)

Re: Can't open up HP Director by BATinNYC (10/1/09 9:07 PM) reply + / -
BRAVO to Alien and Teabag. After hours of struggling, I came across your solution and it worked on the first shot.

Thanks so much.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Sinbad_aye (10/5/09 11:30 PM) reply + / -
I have an HP psc2410 allinone printer, scanner, fax. It worked ok (sort of) for years, but now the director will not come up. I have IE7 and XP SP3 installed. Microsoft says that if you have SP3 then you can't uninstall IE7, which is true -- there is no uninstall option now.

So I tried the alt-shift trick, and also downloaded the HP patches, and I can get the director to open a great big blank window with no icons in it, and no menu up top. It does nothing. Useless.

I have reinstalled the original CD for the printer, and two complete updates. In some cases I get the "Can't communicate with scanner" error. In all cases the director will not give me anything but a blank window.

I'm buying an Epson printer next. Anybody want a used 2410? :-)

Try the easy solutions first. by 1ofB0rg (10/19/09 4:00 AM) reply + / -
Thanks to both Alien and teabag87's answers from 2 years ago(!) because they worked as promised.

If you want a temp fix or don't use the printer often, try the ALT + Space Bar trick. If you want a permanent fix, go to the HP website and download the patch.

I didn't need to uninstall or reboot IE, or Windows, at all. You can try it if nothing else works.

(One final note, HP printers are okay. But their laptops suck. I'm buying a Sony or Toshiba laptop when Win7 releases!)

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (10/22/09 12:42 PM) reply + / -
I have a new laptop with XP SP3 and IE8 and HP Director won't work. THe printer is a HP OJ4215. I would prefer not to go back to IE7 as the rest of the computers in the company have all been upgraded to IE8. Is there a patch or solution to make it work with IE8? It worked fine with IE7 on the old laptop, but this new laptop (only a few weeks old) won't open the software.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (10/22/09 1:49 PM) reply + / -
Found the Critical update to resolve an issue with HP Director after installing a new revision of Internet Explorer Released: 2007-02-13 Version: 1.0.0.0
I can open HP Director now, but I get an hpqselk.exe Fatal Error and it says CLRerror 80004005. When I try to do click on the Scan Doc or Scan Picture, it errors out too.
I will try to install the latest drivers and see if that works.
HP Officejet and PSC Full Feature Software and Driver
Released: 2009-09-12
Version: 4.2.1

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (10/22/09 2:30 PM) reply + / -
Well same problem. Uninstalled the printer and all the software with it, then installed the new full feature software and driver and HP Director still won't open. Also still getting the CLRerror 80004005. I installed the patch again and am rebooting, but am not hopeful.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (10/22/09 4:10 PM) reply + / -
Found a solution on another site.
This error occurs most frequently when the HP Director is in Compatibility Mode. Follow the steps below to resolve this issue.
1.Right-click the HP Director icon on the main screen, then click Properties .
2.On the Compatibility tab, uncheck the Run this program in compatibility mode for: option.
3.Click Apply , then click OK .
4.Open HP Director again.

HALLELUIAH!!!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by sinbad_aye (10/23/09 4:14 AM) reply + / -
I got past the problem of HP director not opening at all. But now it opens with a large totally blank window. There are no menu items, no icons, nothing to do. Left and right clicks anywhere on the window have no effect. What's up with that?!?!?

Re: Can't open up HP Director by h264 (10/24/09 9:15 PM) reply + / -
reproduced what Sinbad reported on my XP

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Carmen9999 (10/24/09 9:34 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem - I could use the printer and copier but could not scan. I could not find the HP Director. After installing software and drivers, and after many hours of troubleshooting I solved my issue by simply using Picassa to import/scan the document. I took less than a aminute! I found the HP site hard to use and frankly useless. Picassa was the winner.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by h264 (10/24/09 9:36 PM) reply + / -
Alien, Thank you so much!!
Your solution is good for me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (10/31/09 7:48 AM) reply + / -
Mercedes--- I am going to try to install an HP patch file# CIT207355-HPCOM-patch-v8.exe. You can find this patch by going to HP by typing the following into your search bar EXACTLY. I have found no otherway to find that particular page any other way. "The HPDirector Window does not open in Windows xp". this will bring up the page at the top of the list in the case of GOOGLE. Just look for h10025 .www1.hp.com as part of the address. On the page that appears there is a link in blue to a CRITICAL update that is supposed to solve the issue. I have been having trouble installing it. I hope you have better luck. I woul be curious to know from you if it worked. Feel free to post your results. Thank*s.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (11/11/09 3:24 PM) reply + / -
AAAAmazing! Simply amazing! It works!

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Nancyd181 (11/15/09 10:08 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for your advice! This problem has been driving me crazy for some time. It worked just like you said it would.
Thanks,
Nancy

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by redbrgr (11/15/09 4:17 PM) reply + / -
Puta que pariu! Esse é o cara!

Re: Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (11/15/09 6:56 PM) reply + / -
Your very welcome NANCY. It is nice to help someone else. I have learned from painful trial and error that nothing is easy. Be awaware that the DIRECTOR is model specific even though there is no visual difference. I use three HP all in ones and of course I needed to install three separate BASIC software for the K, G, and V in my case. I do not know how many models share that particular interface(scree). The DIRECTOR will be lbled with the model printer it represents. And again after the software has been run, and the RESTART box is on screen, go back to an emty desktop, make the connections to the printer, and power it up. THEN restart. The FOUND HARDWARE wizard will appear. NEXT,NEXT,OK. At some point the DIRECTOR icon will be left behind. "YOUR NEW HARDWARE IS READY TO USE" will appear. If you are using multiple HP printers that use the DIRECTOR, an error message, "SCANNER NOT FOUND" will appear if you use the incorrect icon. I hope this info helps. Feel free to pass it along. Using search terms like. "basic software for HP printer---" will bring you to the appropriate HP page. Or you could go to HP.com and under DOWNLOAD/SUPPORT, find the same page by entering your printer and GO. From there download and run the software. Any browser can be used to get to HP.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Sinbad_aye (11/16/09 5:12 AM) reply + / -
I never could get HP Director to work. Its window was always blank, with nothing whatsoever to click on. So ... I found a great solution that works better than ever: Bought an Epson Artisan 810. Love it, and IT WORKS!!!!!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (11/16/09 7:26 AM) reply + / -
SINBAD--- I wrote an open post to this site describing in detail what I did to get the DIRECTOR to work. If EPSON works for you go for it. Read my post if you would like to try the DIRECTOR again. Worked for me. In addition if you are using XP there is a SCANNER/CAMERA WIZARD in the os. Programs, accesories, scanner at the bottom of the list. If it is not there simply connect the printer, power up and the wizard will be added to the list. From there you can add a second entry to the list, and then move one of them to the desktop. RIGHT click on the entry, create shortcut here, then move to the desktop. The wizard is universal in function as opposed to the HP and perhaps EPSON as well which is model specific.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Sinbad_aye (11/16/09 8:30 AM) reply + / -
rtrg - thanks for the info! I'll give it a try. Be nice to have a couple of scanners and printers going.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (11/16/09 2:46 PM) reply + / -
your welcome. If you make your connections/power up on the blank desktop, THEN restart the FOUND HARDWARE wizard will appear during restart. The icon will NOT appear if the wizard doesn*t appear. If you power up/connections AFTER RESTART, the WIZARD/ICON will NOT APPEAR. If you cannot remove the existing software, if it is there, there is a good chance the next attempt will fail. This process is very fickle.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rfm (11/16/09 2:55 PM) reply + / -
rtrg.....My HP Director opens fine, but none of the buttons function. I downloaded the fix, but it made no difference. HP tech support says, too bad, try an earlier version. Not sure the early versions include a W2K driver, which is why I loaded the last one available on the HP website. Comments?

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (11/16/09 3:49 PM) reply + / -
rfm--- that is a mystery to me. once the DIRECTOR icon appears and the interface opens by using the icon, the interface should be fully functional. by BUTTONS do you mean the SETTINGS choices in the upper part of the screen? choices on the left side? my only suggestion is to reinstall the software from the HP site, being sure you enter the printer model # correctly. I use IE 6,7 and 8 on 3 towers all running XP. I do not know which printer you are trying to install nor the DIRECTOR design that goes with it. I have come across a series of "DIRECTORS" of different ages that are all model specific. mine go back to 2002. the printers in use are the G,K, and V series. the DIRECTOR in my case are all identical visually. error mess "cannot find scanner" will appear if you use the wrong icon/wrong printer combination. The printer model number is in the upper portion of the interface. Please see the reply I posted to NANCY on this site and also an open posting on this site detailing my steps i took to success. feel free to post again if that does not work. there is a SCANNER/ CAMERA WIZARD in XP that will work with any scanner or all in one. It is under PROGRAMS/ ACCESSORIES, near the bottom of that sub list. If it is not there it will appear when you connect.power up your printer. from there you can move the icon to the desktop. hope this helps.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by rfm (11/16/09 4:07 PM) reply + / -
Hi rtrg.... I have a G85i running on Windows 2000. The printer still prints and scans fine from other applications, and originally the Director worked just fine. Seems the problem may have started when I installed a second printer, a Brother laser, which replaced a HP laser. Then the Director opened, but none of the functions worked.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Director software with and without the patch. Installation at best is glitchy, but does install. The only thing I haven't try is the older OEM version that came with the printer as I assumed it was not Winndows 2000 compatible.

Anyway, if I can't use the Director, do you happen to know how I can uninstall it, but leave the working drivers alone? Or are the drivers for W2K available by themselves somewhere? I couldn't find them.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (11/16/09 5:09 PM) reply + / -
rfm--- I will try to help. I am using a G95(no letter). The G SERIES, 55, 85, 95, R, V, and T all use the same version DIRECTOR. My only suggestion is to order the original cd that was packaged with the G85I. This printer goes back to around 2000 if not earlier. The cd will isolate you from installing an incompatible driver. Be sure you tell HP the OS you are using as there might be different versions of the software based on the OS at hand. As for uninstalling, use the add/remove page for that. You might need to remove the laser as well just in case there is a conflict, although unlikely. Also go to ALL PROGRAMS and see if there is an uninstall tool there as well. You also might want to download an MS product from MS called WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEAN UP. This will leave a desktop icon. Open it and in the list look for your printer(s). With two clicks you will remove them completely. The issue here is that if there are any remnants of the software left before the next attempt, the software might not install properly even though a failure is not known until the very end. A real bummer. Also if the FOUND HARDWARE wizard does not appear and not finished, as in next, next, ok, the failure will be apparent. If all else fails contact the HP techs from the HP site. Be specific in your issue and the solutions you have tried. If you are luckey to get a NASH or GRAHM to answer you will be able to get it to work with their help. It might take several relays but success will happen. Feel free to mention me by name. They are very familiar with me and my past issues. If I gave you any incorrect advise they will tell you and you can then tell me and I will correct my notes. If all else fails use the built in SCANNER/CAMERA program or PAINT that are found in ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES. Neither are model specific. I also have 2 BROTHER lasers, a HL1240 and 1440, and an ancient HP P6. all my printers work on all my towers(6 at this moment) and all run XP PRO, the oldest upgraded from 98. So I can presumb there is some sort of glitch in the installation of the software. The process is lengthy, but there should be no error messages displayed. It took me multiple tries before I figured out the tricks which as you know I posted here as a reply to NANCY and an open letter. Feel free to find them. print them and use it as a guide. I DO NOT have the cd either. Good luck.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (11/17/09 6:35 AM) reply + / -
I have a 4 page message iwant to print the printer wil only print the last page. It just skips the fist 3. Would like to know what to do. Thank you

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (11/17/09 1:52 PM) reply + / -
I will try. First the DIRECTOR is meant to print and copy from the desktop interface. The interface is model specific and the model is on the top line of the interface. The printer is also listed in the PRINT BOX that appears under the FILE tab/ PRINT command in the drop down menu. The same PRINTER box appears when you print an email message. To print what I think is an email mess, do the following. Open your browser that is your email provider*s home page, if that is how you set it up. OR enter your email*s web address into the address bar,(yahoo.com, ect). OR open your email provider if you are using a desktop icon, again YAHOO, or others. Once the email has appeared, look for the specific message you wish to print. On the page that displays the message, you will see a PRINTER ICON somewhere on that page. Select THAT print command as opposed to the FILE/PRINT combination. This will ensure that ALL pages that are the message are printed. In YAHOO the PRINTER ICON is to the left and near the top of the message page. Gmail uses a similar posistion. If you need to enlarge the printed result do the following. FILE/PAGE SET UP/ change zoom to anything more than 100%. OK and/or APPLY. Go to FILE/PRINT PREVIEW. Use the PRINTER ICON there and/or change the zoom % there from the drop down menu. When the PRINT BOX appears choose OK or PRINT. The text size will be larger consisting of more pages. The zoom will revert to 100%.Other email providers work much the same way. I hope this helps.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rfm (11/17/09 4:00 PM) reply + / -
rtrg...thanks, you may have something there about a incomplete uninstall. I do have the MS Install Cleaner, and have the original OEM disk that came with the printer.

I'll take your advice and uninstall, run the cleaner, and then reinstall the original version of the Director. If that works maybe it's best just to not go to any updates at all. Although the updated version worked until it seems the Brother got installed, but I can find no conflict that would be an issue.

Will let you know what happens when I get around to trying it. Thanks again.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (11/20/09 1:57 PM) reply + / -
Amazing!
I have had that problem so many times I cant even count. The Alt space things worked... I cant believe it!!!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Loren Anderson (12/16/09 8:08 PM) reply + / -
Not able to open open any of my scrip. Thank you.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (12/17/09 2:57 PM) reply + / -
First I would download an MS program called WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP. If the DIRECTOR was installed correctly you will see it in the list. Select the appropriate DIRECTOR, model specific, then "REMOVE' then "OK" then "EXIT". From there go to HP site and do the following. "SUPPORT/DOWNLOAD" at top of page, enter model #, K, g, V ,R, T, PSC series with the specific model. The next page will ask you what info you want. "DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE". The next page will show you the FILE # for that specific model. "For IE, you have a choice of DOWNLOAD ONLY, or DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL. You can do either. The choice is in BLUE above the file #. For other browsers the choice is DOWNLOAD ONLY. From there follow the usual installation wizard. At the end there will be a "SUCCESS" screen, "RESTART NOW". Restart. While the screen is black/blank reconnect power and usb cable and power up. When the OS reloads the "FOUND HARDWARE" wizard will appear. Complete the 3 next screens. At some point an icon will appear on the desktop. It is a representation of a printer. Next the "FAX SET UP" screen will appear. This is optional. Finely a REGISTRATION screen will appear. Simply say NO and close it. If all went well you can now open the DIRECTOR. The specific model will be at the top of the interface. Put a piece of paper in the ADF of the printer. The SCANNING NOW will appear and then the SCAN FORM will appear with the words "START SCAN" in the lower left. If something went wrong earlier, an error mess will appear, "SCANNER NOT FOUND, CANNOT OPEN DIRECTOR". In this case you will have to delete the printer and try again. In the alternitive you can drag and drop two programs from the programs list, PAINT, and CAMERA/ SCANNER WIZARD. The wizard is NOT model specific and has the same scan functions as the DIRECTOR.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (1/8/10 8:07 AM) reply + / -
BRAVO to Alien and Teabag.Thanks a million for fixing up my problem of the damn Hp director.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (1/8/10 10:26 AM) reply + / -
I am glad you managed to solve your issue with the DIRECTOR. I too had posted my solution that worked for me. I do not know what other solutions were suggested but you might want to look at mine for comparison or to pass on to others. rtrg

Re: Can't open up HP Director by nab418 (1/14/10 10:08 AM) reply + / -
Hi - I am having so many problems, I don't know where to begin. I have a PSC 2150 photosmart all-in-on system. Last weekend, I disconnected my printer from the network and had to re-install the software - as a result, I lost my scanning capabilities. Then, I uninstalled the software/driver again from the CD (I had HP Solution Center) and went to the HP website to download the latest software/driver. From this, I lost HP Solution Center, got HP Director and now cannot open this. I just get the error message: 'HP Director application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' Then I contacted HP and they walked me through a L3 uninstall, then I tried to re-install the original software from the CD. After a successful install, I still have HP Director and still cannot open it. I have tried the specific patch for HP Director and IE7, but that also does not work..I get an error message during install. I can see the HP Director icon in my lower right hand tray, but cannot open it and the ALT-SPACE fix does nothing.

Luckily I can still print and copy.

I should have also mentioned that I have Trend Micro Anti-Virus/Firewall software and have added in nearly all of the HP files and TCP/UDP ports. I cannot locate 2 files in my bin folder.

Hopefully someone can help me out!

Thanks, Neil

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (1/14/10 2:37 PM) reply + / -
I am by no means a tech, and have never used that particular printer. From my trial and error, I suggest you try this. Disable and/or remove if needed your antivirus and firewall temporarily. Then uninstall the printer software. Download the MS INSTALLER CLEAN UP utility if needed. You will find your printer in that list. With one key stroke you can remove the printer if the add/remove process leaves even a trace of the software. I use the K80 and V40 all in ones. In both cases I went to the HP site/ support tab/ download software. entered the model number. Os. downloaded the software using the typical dialog boxes. The last box says "files copied successfuly". Then restart. After some time in the reboot, a DIRECTOR desktop icon will appear. Also the 3 step "FOUND NEW HARDWARE" wizard will appear. Then the fax screen will appear. In my case I chose not to set up on screen faxing. When you open the icon, the interface will be called your specific printer by name/model. The interface is model specific. I would think the cd would work as well. I left the printer powered and usb cable connected from start to finish. I think the issue is that there might be a vestege of your previous attempts still present preventing a successfull install. That is my quess.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (1/18/10 4:06 PM) reply + / -
Thanks RTRG. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get rid of all of the HP Director files. i downloaded the MS Installer Clean Up Utility, but nothing was clearly labled for my printer so I deleted what I think was related. The challenge is I have an HP Desktop so I don't want to delete anything critical for the computer.

I tried deleting the HP PSC-related programs via ADD/REMOVE and I thought i got them all, but there still is an HP/Digital Imaging set of files (including bin sub-folder). Also, now I can't open HP Director (get error message 'HP Director Application has encountered a problem and needs to close.') In addition, I am also getting an error message that says 'The type initializer for 'HP.Cue.Gallery.Image.Manager.Keywords' threw an exception.'

When I started out, I had HP Solution Center (which seems to be more stable), but now can't get it back even when I do a manual download of the software from the HP site (full install).

This still doesn't address the 1st problem which was my inability to scan. I'm seriously at my wits end.

Any additional help would be much appreciated!!

- Neil

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (1/18/10 6:12 PM) reply + / -
It seems you have tried all that you can. The second error message is unknown to me. When I downloaded the software for the K80, solution center was not apart of it, only the DIRECTOR. I think the CENTER can be downloaded by itself. As far as CLEAN up is concerned you should see your model of printer in that list. Simply select it, and press "REMOVE". YES to confirmation. The printer and all its software will be gone. One issue, the clean up list does not contain the same entries that are in the add/remove list, not a good design, my tech friend tells me. Also there are times when the add/remove program does not work either for reasons I do not know. Only two other suggestions. First try a SYSTEM RESTORE to a previous date well before this issue. START/ ALL PROGRAMS/ ACCESSORIES/ SYSTEM TOOLS/ RESTORE. Select EARLIER RESTORE POINT. Next screen, select previous month, left arrow on the calendar, select any date in BOLD on that calendar. On the RIGHT select any ONE entry on that list, then OK. If the system works the desktop will diasapear, OS will reboot and RESTORATION COMPLETE(or incomplete), then desktop will reappear. If successful you will see certain icons not there. That is because those programs were removed during the restoration. At this point go to HP and start again. If successful you will be able to open the DIRECTOR and scan. I am not sure what other icons/programs come with it. If restoration was INCOMPLETE the desktop will remain unchanged as will your issue. Lastly email HP. Be complete with your issue, what does and does not work, what you have and have not tried. They are very helpful. Use the email form for the TECHS. Cust serve will pass it on if needed. This is all I can provide. Hope some of it helps. I am presuming you are using XP. If you selected the incorrect OS that would mean the software would not work presuming it would have worked with the correct OS in the first place. Good luck. Let me know what happens. I am sure I can use whatever info HP gives you.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (2/15/10 1:47 PM) reply + / -
Alien,
I want to thank you for your help. It was lost and now it's found.

Thanks for your help.

Beano

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (2/15/10 2:41 PM) reply + / -
beano--- I glad some of my hard won knowledge helped. You are very welcome. I do have one more suggestion. I found a replacement for SYSTEM RESTORE from COMODO.com called COMODO TIME MACHINE(ctm). The system takes a SNAP SHOT(restore point) at installation called the BASELINE. Download CTM ONLY after your system is at 100%. Download the program, go into SETTINGS at the top, run through each of the tabs. DISABLE current user log on, that will disable user/password. CHECK "DO NOT TAKE SNAP SHOT IF ONE IS ALREADY THERE". As the name implies this will leave ONLY the baseline. Then if you ever need it, open the program from the desktop, go to RESTORE SYSTEM at top, select BASELINE under it, NEXT at bottom, REBOOT when asked. This will restore system to the point of installation when your system was "CLEAN". Any programs after that point will be gone and will needed to be reloaded. Any files/folders will be left unchanged. If the DIRECTOR is again gone go to HP and start again. Any browser will work. I left my printer powered and usb connected. At reboot the "FOUND NEW HARDWARE WIZARD" will appear. Finish the 3 steps. An icon will appear which you can rename. Right click icon, rename, backspace. Enter the name of your choice, left click. Again I hope you can use some of this.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (3/12/10 12:54 PM) reply + / -
HP website addresses this.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (3/23/10 2:30 PM) reply + / -
thank you.I had Director and then it disappeared and I could not get it back for a long.long time.Is there some way to save it or use a shorcut so that it can be obtained directly without reinstalling?

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (3/23/10 3:36 PM) reply + / -
I am glad I could help. The answer to your question is yes. If and when you lose the software again you might try to open ALL PROGRAMS and see if there is a icon there corresponding to your printer model. If yes drag it to the desktop, power the printer, load a page into the adf or glass, open the software if it does not open itself, and try to scan. It will work or not. If not open the recycle bin and restore any DIRECTOR icon in the list to the desktop. Try scanning with each one in turn. One or more MAY work. If yes keep the working one and send the others back to the recycle bin. If none work, which is likely, you will need to reinstall, either from the cd, or the HP site. Go to SUPPORT, check DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE, enter your model, next, and run the install wizard again. Leave your printer powered and connected. At some point, usually during restart, the FOUND HARDWARE icon/wizard will appear. Do the 3 steps asked for. Later a new icon will appear called by model. You can rename this icon. The FAX WIZARD will also appear. It is your choice to set up the PC for faxing. I choose not to. It might be possible to save the file to your hard drive. If you use FIRE FOX, OPERA, or IE to download the software,from HP, the file is saved in the browser. With FF the file can be found under TOOLS then DOWNLOADS. A box will open with a list of everything that FF downloaded. Simply double left click the appropriate entry and the software will re open and you can run it again. OPERA and IE work in a similar way. In this way the file can be rerun if needed without having to re download from HP. OPERA and IE work much the same way. If you used the cd you will need to use it again, as files on a cd are not stored anywhere. That is why it is important NOT to lose a cd. Downloading from a vendors site is not always possible, especialy if the product is no longer supported. Hope this helps.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by i.hendricks (4/12/10 10:39 AM) reply + / -
I keep getting this message when i try to open hp photo and imaging director.
" An Unexpected error occurred in the application: the error code is . " can anyone help?

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (4/13/10 4:35 PM) reply + / -
Please see the post to ANONYMOUS I posted on 3/23/10 at 2:30 pm. It describes in detail how to reload and reinstall your printer model from the HP site. Hope it helps. Please remove any existing HP software for that model. If not the next attempt will be aborted. "SOFTWARE ALREADY EXISTS". The dialog box will close.

No Subject by drpryme (4/23/10 5:54 AM) reply + / -
Installed uddated driver for HP 5510 and HP Director Icon was gone. Uninstalled entire HP ALL In One Program and install went fine but still no HP Director?

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by Anonymous (4/24/10 6:40 AM) reply + / -
Alien, you rock. That totally worked with Alt Space bar.

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by blairwalker1 (6/7/10 10:27 AM) reply + / -
Alien, 4 years after your post you have helped someone else bring an old ScanJet 5500C back into production - thanks if you are out there.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Ronda Blair (6/17/10 11:56 AM) reply + / -
I do not have an Hp director icon on my HP vs17 computer. I have Windows XP

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (6/17/10 2:00 PM) reply + / -
Rhonda--- I will presume you do not have the install disc. In that case go to HP.com, select support tab, select DRIVERS DOWNLOAD on next page. Enter the specific printer model in the dialog box then ok/next. Select XP, select model displayed, SAVE. If you are using FIREFOX a DOWNLOAD box will appear. The status bar will move to the RIGHT. When done the field will turn BLUE. Double click LEFT and the process will begin. A series of dialog boxes will appear. Click NEXT when needed. It will be more than likely that the progress will get "HUNG UP" and stop. Look at the system tray at the bottom of the screen for the word "ERROR". If it is there,LEFT click. The error will disappear and a dialog box will appear, OK or NEXT. The process will continue. I have no explanation why this false error appears. If all is successful you will be presented with a "FILES COPIED SUCCESSFULLY". Then "RESTART NOW". Go to START/TURNOFF/RESTART. The OS(XP) will reload. If the printer was powered and connected, the "FOUND NEW HARDWARE WIZARD" will appear along with a smaller FOUND HARDWARE in the tray. For the WIZARD, NEXT

No Subject by dhubhgaill (7/5/10 6:25 AM) reply + / -
Please read a very different solution...maybe it can help someone else...this problem seems to be happening with a lot of people.

I had upgraded to IE 8.0 last week and had not used the scanner until yesterday when the problem occurred. I found my installation disk, but it would not complete loading, so I downloaded the software, driver and all the patches directly onto my hard drive and tried that installation. Nope, the 8.0 patch did not recognize my software version, there was nothing upgradeable. After much research online, I found most of the problems were in changing from 6.0 to 7.0. Since this is an older scanner, there was not much info for it but the newer versions were having the same problems. As a result and in desperation, I uninstalled 8.0. Well director would come up but now it would not recognize or communicate with the scanner. I decided to play with the software and found that:

"C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Bin\hpqscnvw.exe"

would get me to where I wanted, and it recognizes the scanner as being attached. It actually works. I simply made a shortcut to that on my desktop and deleted HP Director. I have not tried re-installing IE 8.0 yet, but that is my next job. At least I have my scanner back. Hope this solution saves someone else a lot of frustration.

NOTE: I reinstalled IE 8.0 and everything still works perfectly. You don't get that small bar for the HP Director startup, it goes directly to the scanning preview page. Click on the little triangle on the right to bring up all the options.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by GeoS (11/5/10 10:21 AM) reply + / -
Went to IE8 and HP Director didn't work. Put up HP's fix and now get HP Director but it's a diffenent one than I had before. Old HP Director allowed me to scan text, scan pictures and copy. Could also direct scanned data to a word processor, EMAIL, pdf, or a Picture app.

The new one only scans pictures and only stores data as pictures.

Can't seem to get HP concerned about this. They think it;s because my HP PC is 7 years old. I'ts a software problem HP!!

Anyone else experience this and/or have a solution??

Re: Re: Can't open up HP Director by jdevola (11/16/10 7:08 AM) reply + / -
Claude, you are the man! Thanks very much!

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (11/17/10 10:11 AM) reply + / -
GEOS--- I am glad CLAUDE was able to be if help to you. In my experience I have needed to uninstall/reinstall the software from HP on more than one occasion. This is a given when changing to IE7/8/ Is there a 9? I would imagine WINDOWS 7 requires the same process. I use IE6 which works for me, and the software is quite stable. Hope my insight helps ypu in the future or others now.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by GeoS (11/18/10 3:45 PM) reply + / -
Apologies, but I am new to this app and probably screwed up and/or missed something along the way, but I ahve not received any info from Claude.

So my issue is still open

Thanks

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (11/18/10 4:45 PM) reply + / -
GEOS--- I have posted this info a number of times to help others. If you search MY posts, RTRG, you should be able to find it. In any event here it is again in a fresh writing. Feel free to pass it along.

The DIRECTOR is a multi function colorful interface that is model specific. The interface is the same for all models with the printer model at the top. The bottom line here is to uninstall and reinstall the software from either HP site or a CD. If you have any vestiges left from a previous installation the new installation will fail. To that end I recommend yo install "WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP SOFTWARE" for windows. The current version is 2.5.1 utility. If you search for it using those terms you will find it in your results page. CNET, BROTHERSOFT, SOFTPEDIA are common sources. Using any browser and site, download and install the utility. After installation, open ALL PROGRAMS and drag and drop the program onto the desktop. Open the resulting list. Look for your printer and remove it from the list by selecting "REMOVE/YES" at confirmation and then close or exit. Open ADD/REMOVE and remove printer from tat list as well. Select your printer, it will turn BLUE. "CHANGE/REMOVE" or seperate words on RIGHT side. Select REMOVE. Another small dialog box(s) will appear. "OK or CLOSE" at last box. You may be asked to restart. Do so.

Open HP/ SUPPORT/DOWNLOAD/ enter your printer model/ok. Next page asks for you current OS from the DROP DOWN list/ then DRIVER under it. DOWNLOAD on the right. SAVE OR RUN the file depending on what your browser allows. A series of dialog boxes will appear. Simply select "NEXT" as needed. At some point you might get an ERROR in the system tray. Simply RIGHT click to remove it and select OK in the box above. The installation will continue. The last box is "SUCCESS" with a RESTART request. Do so.

If the printer was powered the FOUND NEW HARDWARE will appear in the tray. If not power it for the WIZARD to appear. A series of 3 dialog boxes will appear, "COMPLETEING INSTALLATION" "NEXT,NEXT OK". The FAX setup screens will appear. It is your choice as to setting up fax ability from the desktop. At some point un noticed by you a desktop icon labled HPxxx SERIES will appear. This is your DIRECTOR icon. You can rename it if you wish. To test the system insert a piece of paper in th ADF or on the glass. The DIRECTOR should open. If not open it manually. Select SCAN PICTURE. the scan box will open. If it does you are DONE! If not you might need to start over. If you do not download or use CLEANUP, more than likely the previous installation will not be removed and the overwrite will fail. If there is any vestage of the installation left the overwrite will fail. I know this sounds long and confusing. If it does Please respond with your phone and I will talk you through it. The entire download of the HP software can be a half hour or more. So be prepared to be on the phone with me. This is the only solution that works in my experience. Do notr hesitate to contact me directly reeltoreelguy@gmail.com

Re: Can't open up HP Director by Parkview (2/16/11 10:59 AM) reply + / -
I have XP and I can't open Photo Imaging Director. HELP!
When I go into PID it screws up words and color on my screen.
I go into scan and I get an error. "an error occured communicating with scan device. Please ensure that the scan device is connected properly and try again". It is and I have.
I also have had HP do detection and nothing shows up.

Re: Can't open up HP Director by patzy (edited 5/16/11 3:27 AM) reply + / -
I cannot find the HP Director anymore, was there about a month ago now gone, both my printers psc1210, C5380aio will not scan, I have read through these posts and tried unistall/reinstall, still nothing, I too, am tearing my hair out as I need the scan function for work, please someone HELP

Re: Can't open up HP Director by patzy (edited 5/16/11 3:25 AM) reply + / -
I had forgotten to add all the details on my last post; I have again uninstalled/reinstalled at the end of installation of C5380 I get the message "HP CUE - scanning Flow Component has stopped working" then "Hpqdirec.exe- unable to locate component- has failed because libexpatw.dll was not found" and after that "Hpqdirec.exe stopped working - windows will notify of a solution is found" If any one can help me it would be much appreciated, Thanks, patzy

HP 2840 all in one - HP Director problems by avto50 (11/14/11 7:15 AM) reply + / -
Hi

I have the 2840 all in one printer and all was well when one day I tried printing something and I got a message - "document failed to print......". tried my best , nothing worked. Finally I installed the printer again and it started printing. BUT... when I want to scan I use the Director. When I use the scan option I get a message asking me to check the power and to restart the printer or restart my computer. I did all bit to no avail.

CAn someone help. Do I need to reinstall the toolbox ( it shows as a small icon in the tray) AND the Director?? If so HOW?

Thanx a lot

Piyush

Re: Can't open up HP Director by rtrg (11/15/11 9:45 AM) reply + / -
As I have advised to others the only solution is to do the following, UNINSTALL BOTH THE PRINTER AND THE DIRECTOR using both all programs uninstall if it is there and add/remove. Any vestage left will result in yet another error. Use your cd or go to the HP site., support, type in your printer model, search, OS next,download, either save or run. IE works well for this install. Run the dialog boxes and restart at the end. You will probably get an error mess at the bottom of the screen for JAVA. Simplt remove the error box, then OK above. Process will continue. Power up the printer during restart. The FOUND HARDWARE WIZARD will appear. 3 steps to complete installation. Optional if you want to set up the fax function on screen. The printer will be detected and a printer icon will be left on your desktop. Test it by inserting a page into the ADF then SCAN DOCUMENT or PHOTO. If all is well the SCAN DIALOG BOX will appear. You do not need to start scan. The responce is enough. If an ICON does not appear go to ALL PROGRAMS and pick it up from there in the HP list. Look for DIRECTOR. Hope this helps.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters