fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Epson rx600 blank lcd

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Epson rx600 blank lcd by hendrixx2 (8/4/05 7:37 PM) reply-1 + / -
Hi all, i have a rx600 thats about 1-1/2 yrs. old. up to now i've had no major problems with it. just now i noticed that the lcd had went blank. the machine still prints but no lcd.
anyone come across this??? any info appreciated

pax,
h2

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by printerrepairpros (8/4/05 10:16 PM) reply+1 + / -
The first thing to check is whether the cable between the board and the LCD is connected properly. Try disconnecting and reconnecting. If this does not solve the problem, the next thing to do is replace the LCD. If this doesn't solve the problem, the main board is defective.
Hope this helps.
Howard

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by hendrixx2 (8/6/05 4:08 PM) reply + / -
hi, thanx for the reply, removed the cover plate of the lcd housing and checked the ribbon cable; it appears to be connected both at the board in the printer, and in the side of the lcd. i think this puppy has had it. prolly not worth having repaired at this point. i do need a screenshot of the setup menu for this machine; as i noted previously, it still prints, but i need to get to the 'replace cartridge' option. if anyone could post or email one to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

pax,
h2

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by printerrepairpros (8/10/05 6:40 PM) reply + / -
If you wil send me your email address I will send you a pdf file containing the instructions for changing cartridges. This is straight out of the user manual.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by danjako50 (9/10/05 7:50 PM) reply + / -
I also have the same problem with the LCD display- blank -
I would also much appreciate a screen shot of the Setup screen so I can check to see if Contrast and Brightness have been changed (got kids in the house!)but I don't know what key presses to get to that setup screen.

Thanks!!!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Will Pwr (10/4/05 10:07 PM) reply + / -
I too have the same problem...a blank LCD screen
Im trying to change the cartridge, but its pretty much impossible with a blank screen. If I could get a screen shot of the setup screen as well, that would be great.

thanks

Will

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by hendrixx2 (10/5/05 12:33 AM) reply + / -
hi Will....i've found that when a cart runs low, the status monitor will pop up advising of such; at that time if you click on 'how to...' it will lead you thru a series of screens allowing you to move the cartridge carrier to the 'replace' position.

my own special mod for this epson pos is that i've removed the stub that was on the cart carrier cover which prevented the cover from being opened when the carrier is not in the 'replace' position. this way i can change carts when i decide to. not a suggestion, just a point of info

hendrixx2

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by sal16w (11/22/05 6:22 AM) reply+1 + / -
My RX600 LCD display has also gone blank and it is just out of warranty. The menders told me that 3 identical printers had come in that week with exactly the same problem. Spooky huh!
Seems to me like a design fault. I'm going to contact Epson.
S

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by kefoster (11/23/05 4:41 PM) reply + / -
I too had the same problem. I complained bitterly since mine is about 15 months old. Some nice lady by the name of Mary from Epson called me back and made arrangements for the printer to be collected by Purolator (at Epson's expense) for repair!!!!!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by sal16w (11/24/05 1:58 PM) reply + / -
That's interesting. Do you remember who you contacted initially?
sal16w

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by hendrixx2 (11/24/05 9:41 PM) reply + / -
hi, yes sal16w, that does sound interesting considering that i tried to have my year old 600 has the same prob. it still prints great pix, but that blank lcd is a downer. i've move over the the canon 800 and love it!!!

pax,
h2

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by sal16w (11/25/05 11:53 AM) reply + / -
thanks for the advice, we may need it!

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (12/20/05 10:21 AM) reply + / -
Hey...I just found out about the same problem. Mine is 16 months old and had the same issue!!! Epson sent me to a authorized repair shop and it needs a new display for $166.32. This definitely sounds like a design or part issue, since these all seem the same age. Who did you contact about this? I'm very dissatisfied with their response since this seems to be a common issue. Kirstendjh

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by sal16w (12/20/05 4:21 PM) reply + / -
Well, after several unsuccessful phone calls I tried Head IOffice. I told them I wasn't happy to send yet another printer to landfill as a result of one small problem which was basically a design fault. They offered me a reconditioned RX610 with 1 year warranty for £60, which I accepted. Someone is making a huge profit out of this!! Don't give up!
Good luck,
Sal16W

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (12/21/05 7:39 AM) reply + / -
BTW, I sent a complaint note back to technical support at Epson and they emailed me back and asked that I call them directly. They agreed to pay for the repair at the authorized shop for free even though it was out of the warranty time. This doesn't mean that it won't fail again in no time, but I'll at least get a few more months out of the unit. Thanks to this forum, though, I knew that this was a common issue, versus just MY bad luck and that really helped boost my ability to get resolution.
Kirsten

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by sal16w (12/22/05 1:22 AM) reply + / -
Really pleased that you've had success .. you did better than I did which kind of highlights inconsistent customer support!
I agree with your last statement ... I'm not normally one to complain/demand but I did feel this was an Epson problem.
Happy Christmas!
Sally

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (12/23/05 3:14 AM) reply + / -
CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT SOUND LIKE A REMEDY FOR THE DEFECTIVE RX600?

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by hendrixx2 (12/27/05 2:09 AM) reply + / -
hi, here is some of the back and forth i got from epson:

First Name: f
Last Name: taylor
Date: 20050814
Time: 16:45:54

PROBLEM REPORT
Software used during problem: none
File type being printed: none

Detailed Description of Problem:
after less than 18 months, the lcd on my rx600 went out rendering the
machine virutally useless.

after checking on the web and finding about 11 other people with the same
problem, i can only conclude that there is a design/engineering fault with
the rx600. my plans to pass the current rx600 on to my son, and purchase
the rx620 are now off.

this was my first epson purchase and will be my last

fred taylor

-------Original Message-------

Date: 08/16/05 11:28:36
To: hendrixx2@att.net
Subject: Re: 20050814164554:All-in-One

Thank you for contacting the Epson Connection.

It is unfortunate that you feel this way regarding you printer, however
this is not a commom issue on the RX600 by any means. Keep in mind that
when hundreds od thousands of printers are produced across Northa America
alone there will be a few which will experience issues. If 11 poeple on
the internet which is worldwide are experincing the same issue it would not
accurate to conclude that this is an fault with the unit. I can definately
understand you concern however the RX 600 is an excellent unit, and with
any electronic equipment there will be a few which experience issues.
However we would like to have this issue resolved for you promptly.

Your printer has a one-year replacement warranty from the original date of
purchase. To put this into effect, please contact the Epson connection if[snipped].

MY REPLY:

hi, thank you for your timely reply, the unit i have was purchased 5/04 (15 months old) so i'm sure that it is out of warranty. i've owned printers for over 20 years and i have never had one go bad after such a short time, especially one that costs as much as this. you may be correct concerning the 11 out of xxxx units; that's small consolation for a piece of equipment that's been rendered a $300+ paperweight. there's no way i can justify that type of money that for a printer that lasts just over a year. i can see no reason to have it repaired when that cost will probably approach what a new all in one will cost me.

at this point a screenshot of the setup menu or some information on how to navigate would be helpful as that would allow me to at least change the cartridges when they become empty. this whole episode with this printer is being chalked up to my experience with epson products, tho costly it's the price i pay for the decision i made.

again, thank you for your reply

THEIR REPLY:

If the LCD display screen on your printer is blank please try disconnecting
the USB cable from the computer and then disconnect the power to your
printer. Reconnect the power to a different power outlet, and turn your
printer back on. If the same issue occurs, your printer will require
service.

You can take the unit to one of the licensed facilities listed below for
repair if your printer is no longer within its one-year warranty period[service center addresses snipped]

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by rmkelly (12/28/05 4:39 PM) reply + / -
I've been following this thread with interest as my lcd has been blank for about two weeks. One trouble-shooting thing I tried was the following: I suspected that my black ink was out, since all of a sudden the printer would only print the first few lines of any page. And yet, because of the blank lcd I could not confirm it, nor could I follow the prompts for obvious reasons. But, on a hunch, I replaced it anyway, in this rather unorthodox manner:

1. turn unit off
2. lift lid
3. start unit, and while cartridge unit is traveling
4. unplug unit

what this acccompished was to leave the cartridge unit in mid-travel, so I could reach in and replace black ink cartridge.

after

5. turning unit back on

I was able to print like before.

But, even better, I went to the Epson site and filled out their trouble-shooting forms and kept choosing "none of the above" until there was a box to send a specific message. I let them know that the lcd was blank, and within an hour I got an email back that included an offer to ship a replacement unit! Which is now underway. So it seems that Epson is well aware of the glitch. The email which offered replacement said that the unit must be under warranty, and the email itself included a transcription of the Q and A of the trouble-shooting guide, so I think that this Q and A portion of the Epson web site is probably the portal through which one must go in order to get a positive response.

cheers,

RM Kelly

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (12/29/05 6:56 AM) reply + / -
I think the issue lies in Epson's response to those of us who have printers just out of the warranty time (15 months old for me). As an update, Epson authorized the repair shop to give me a new unit, which is being mailed to me (I could have picked it up for free, but live 4 hours from the shop). I've had to pay the $40 troubleshooting fee and shipping, but still feel very fortunate to have a positive resolution. Good luck to those still struggling. Kirsten

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by UofCDad (1/9/06 2:49 PM) reply + / -
I bought an RX600 in October of 2004. The LCD went blank in June
of 2005 and a remanufactured unit was sent as a replacement that was under
warrantee for the duration of the original printer.

On January 8, 2006 the replacement unit had the LCD go blank a couple
of months out of the original warrantee period. I called customer
service and they agreed to send me an RX620. That unit will only be
covered by a 30 day warrantee period. It was about as good an offer
as I expected, so I went for it.

Hopefully, the RX620 will have the problem with the LCD resolved.

Another Epson rx600 blank lcd by sparcat (1/19/06 9:10 AM) reply + / -
I join the ranks of the "screwed by the Epson RX600 blank LCD screen".

I purchased mine in July 2004 and two days ago the LCD went blank. The Epson website had no mention of this problem or troubleshooting it.

After talking to customer service, Epson is unwilling to offer me anything other than a free set of cartridges with the purchase (at full price) of an RX620 - they must be kidding!

Has anyone received just compensation for their RX600's

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by UofCDad (1/19/06 10:30 AM) reply + / -
Not much of an offer. The RX620 was on sale on the Epson site about a
week ago for $150 and that included free shipping. BTW, I am still
waiting for the RX620 which I was offered on 1/9/06. Maybe they
conveniently forgot about it. It seems a week and a half should have
been time enough for it to get here, even with a holiday in there.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Skay (1/26/06 8:45 AM) reply + / -
Our Epson RX600 LCD just went blank and found this site. It's been 13 months since we bought the printer and out of warranty. The printer is set to printing photos, and I can't figure out how to get it back to just copy from the machine itself.

Anyone have the combo buttons needed? for changing cartridges too?

Like to be able to use it till we find a replacement, which might be awhile.

Sharon

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by UofCDad (1/26/06 10:36 AM) reply + / -
First thing I would do is call Epson Customer Relations at 562-276-1311
and ask for a replacement even though you are out of warrantee by
a month. I think there is a good chance they will do it.

I was able to change a black cartridge by opening the top and pressing
the B&W button. That brought the cartridges out and I proceeded as
normal.

BTW, the Customer Relations people are nice, but I still have not
received the RX620 that was promised back on 1/9/06 as a replacement
for my RX600. I was told today it was a warehouse problem and they
would ship it overnight so it would arrive tomorrow. We will see.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Skay (1/26/06 10:40 AM) reply + / -
I've already contacted them, and was told I can only get it fixed not replaced and they won't cover it. I have to pay for the expenses.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by kirsten (1/26/06 11:06 AM) reply + / -
Sometimes the polite squeaky wheel gets the grease and once I got a real person, they were quite helpful. When I found out that the repair would be $170.00, I sent them an "I'm very disappointed in your customer service and I won't be buying an Epson in the future..." email and got a rapid reply email to call them. My dealings with them over the phone have been very positive and I got a positive resolution, and mine was 15 months old. What I got was a rebuilt RX600, not a new model, so I have no idea how long it will work, but it's better than the non-functioning one that I had. Maybe I was among the lucky few.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Decpuppy (1/26/06 2:29 PM) reply + / -
One more screwed by epson. I'm in the UK and my screen went after 9 months. Unfortunatly the unit was a gift and the proof of purchase lost by the giver. Epson Uk had no interset in helping whatsoever without the proof. If the problem is so rare( ref their response in an earlier post) why not just repair the few(yeh right) faulty ones and look big.

Epson.....never again

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Skay (1/26/06 2:35 PM) reply + / -
Well I contacted Epson again, through the phone number they gave me through e-mail. and told them when I bought the epson and it had only been 14 months. So, they said they will replace it, but that I would need to fax or e-mail the receipt so they can see it. I can't use the printer to scan, so told them I would take pic of it with my camera and send through e-mail. They said that was fine. But, we only have a copy of receipt since we sent original in for rebate. I'm hoping we find it tonight and that it works.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Brendan E. (2/3/06 11:16 AM) reply + / -
Design problem....you think???!!! I have still not gotten satisfaction from Epson and mine too is about 15 months old. I think a class action suit is in order. Any ideas how to go about it? Sign me up!!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by hess (2/5/06 5:56 PM) reply + / -
I too had the same LCD blank issue this is the second RX600 printer rc'd by Epson the first one went bad a few weeks after purchase and now the second went bad today which makes it about 16 months old...waiting for a reply from Epson

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by UofCDad (2/5/06 7:20 PM) reply + / -
Well, the RX620 arrived the next day just as the Customer Relations man
promised. It was a reconditioned unit. That doesn't give me much hope
of this one lasting much better than the two RX600s. How can the new
model already have returns enough to allow them to recondition them and
send them out?

Just an interesting sidelight: I dialed what I believe is a U.S. phone
number when I contacted Customer Relations. The guy said he would call
me back. My phone captured his number and name as Epson Canada. At least
he wasn't in India.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by hendrixx2 (2/6/06 5:31 AM) reply + / -
UofCDad...that's a good point & the reason i moved away from the epsons. although my printer still prints fine photos the lcd problem & epson's response to my particular situation made me vow not to buy them again. i see now they're offering a '700' model, yeah, right!

pax
h2

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by leeray (2/7/06 12:52 PM) reply + / -
Hi everyone new to site but have same problem.Called epson and was told that they had never heard of this problem.Wanted to charge a credit card 9.95 usd.to trouble shoot the problem.I guess it is a trashcan printer now.Maybe class action is not a bad idea or at least let consumer affairs know.leeray

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by sal16w (2/9/06 2:35 PM) reply + / -
Well, if Epson haven't heard of this problem, I'd be tempted to copy various items from this thread and post it to them!!
So far my reconditioned RX620 has held out ..... I do find this printer eats the ink. I'm a light domestic user and frequently print on draft if it's not important and even so, the cartridges seem to run down very quickly.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Skay (2/9/06 3:08 PM) reply + / -
I sent a pic of the receipt through e-mail and they are sending out a replacement, either another 600 or 620. It went dead 14 months after purchase.

I'm hoping this next one lasts longer, but I have a bad feeling. They said that its only warranted for 30 days after we receive it. I don't understand why they can't give us another year?

Anyway I doubt we would ever buy another Epson printer ever again. It does eat ink like crazy and the printers should last alot longer then 14 months for the money we spent on it.

I believe we'll go with a basic printer next time (with scanner/copier) and then buy a seperate photo printer.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by agbphd (2/18/06 4:32 PM) reply + / -
Regrettably, I've joined this growing group of "failed LCD" victims. I sparingly use this unit, and have had it set up since ~ January 2005. What a short life-span!!

Class Action sounds very appropriate.....

Gerry

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Skay (2/18/06 4:59 PM) reply + / -
We got our replacement, a RX600. It works, though they sent the wrong manual and ink cartridges with it, so they issued new cartridges and manual a few days later. It's working fine, but I'm wondering how long the screen will last.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by ticktick (2/28/06 7:36 PM) reply + / -
Yes seems we all have the same problem.I e-mailed epson and got a reply back. Here is my reply..

If the LED display screen on your printer is blank please try disconnecting
the USB cable from the computer and then disconnect the power to your
printer. Reconnect the power to a different power outlet, and turn your
printer back on. If the same issue occurs, your printer will require
service.

If this is the case it appears as though the printer hardware itself is
malfunctioning and will require service. You can take the unit to one of
the licensed facilities listed below for repair if your printer is no
longer within its one-year warranty period.

MICROCARE, INC.
330 N. STONESTREET AVENUE, SUITE H
ROCKVILLE MD 20850
T:301/294-5350 F:301/294-5354

ARDITO BUSINESS MACHINES, INC.
377 LITTLE EAST NECK ROAD
WEST BABYLON NY 11704
T:631/661-7281 F:631/661-7325

If your printer is still within its one-year warranty period (from the
original date of purchase) please contact the Epson Connection at
562-276-4382 when you are with your computer and printer setup. The
representative will assist you with a brief telephone diagnostic to confirm
the need for replacement. Our staff can be reached from 9 AM to 9 PM EST
or 6 AM to 6 PM PST from Monday through Friday (except holidays).

WHOLE UNIT EXCHANGE - Epson will ship you a replacement unit, freight
prepaid. You are responsible for returning the defective printer to Epson
within seven (7) working days of receipt of the replacement unit (we will
include return instructions and you can use the same packaging from the
replacement unit to ship the original printer back to EPSON). Please be
ready to provide your credit card number to secure the cost of the
replacement printer in the event that you fail to return the defective one
(security deposit will not be reflected on your monthly statement).
Replacement units will be the same model or another model of equivalent
features and may be new or refurbished to the Epson standard of quality.
Replacement units assume the remaining warranty period of your original
unit.

Exchanges must be done by phone for security purposes. Do not include
credit card information in emails.

We accept: American Express, Discover, MasterCard and VISA.

If you require further assistance with this particular issue, please ensure
all of our previous correspondence is contained in your reply, so we can
better track the history of this issue.

Hope this helps.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by frostbyte5014 (3/1/06 8:31 PM) reply + / -
Epson we have a problem!

I too have a dead lcd. I love this printer and bought it over all the other brands on the market because the quality of the craftsmanship was so great. I have been servicing computers and printers for about 10 years and have seen first hand the many engineering flaws made. I chose this printer carefully using this knowledge and am sad to say I was fooled. I have worked with and sold many epson printers to my customers and have a very strong influence on what my customers buy. I can't recomend something when the company will not stand behind their product. This is not a small percentage of defective printers that we are talking about. I have seen hundreds of threads on the internet about this problem. Since this seems to affect everyone in a common time frame there has to be a part that is expiring, most likely a capacitor. I'm sure we'll see a class action lawsuit on this very soon. I would like to see someone create a poll to get some numbers on the affected units.
The customer is always right. It just time time to prove it.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by tcut (3/4/06 8:16 AM) reply + / -
i had the problem after 11 months got it replaced under warrantee the replacment took three days less than three months latter happened again i have not contacted them yet closed on weekends i will contact them on monday looking forward to see how this is handled

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (3/5/06 7:34 AM) reply + / -
I recieved another also it lasted 3 months good luck.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by torinogt (3/25/06 6:02 PM) reply + / -
My Epson RX600 LCD screen went blank today! Just 13 months old!!I have emailed Epson but don't hold out much hope based on what I've read here! What are you all buying to replace your broken printers? What brand is good and has same features?

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Mike Lerley (4/3/06 2:22 PM) reply + / -
Client just brought one of these in with the same issue. After some digging I found a replacement part at NPD -- www.nationalpartsdepot.com item #1281121. List price is $170. He's going to submit a claim to MasterCard because he has the card with the extra warranty coverage on stuff. Clearly this isn't a spectacular solution but it's out there, at least.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by das.mac (4/11/06 6:15 AM) reply + / -
I found out that my 16 months old RX600 LCD went blank today. I hope that the 2 year global warranty that covers all electronic products in the EU covers this as well without any problems.
I'm taking the printer for service today.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by tgrijalva (4/13/06 5:21 AM) reply + / -
My LCD screen went blank today. I contacted Epson via email, who responded in the same manner described above. After I complained about their service, I got the email to call them, which I did. They told me that they would send me a replacement unit immediately, along with a pre-paid shipping label with which to return my old printer. They asked for my credit card number for security purposes in case I did not return the old unit, and I did not have problem with that. They charged $200 immediately to my card (they told me the card was for security purposes only and would not be charged), and I called them back. They were obnoxious and told me that they would have to cancel my "order." As I would not dream of spending $200 on another Epson product, I told them that I didn't order anything and that they could keep their replacement, and to return the money to my account. As of right now (the day after all of this), the money has not been returned. All I have received is another email from them saying that they did not have that technology via email and to call them directly (again). These people are fraudulent and are increasing their initial profit margin by creating a defective product that stops working shortly after the warranty expires and then trying to charge for either repairs or replacements. Beware of what information you give them.

Re: Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by sean Dent (4/14/06 3:21 PM) reply + / -
I agree with the class action suit

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd NOW I HAVE TWO PRINTERS by speedster (4/24/06 12:41 AM) reply + / -
I also had the same problem with my RX600 after only 3 months from date of purchase. Epson said I had to send it to them for a repair or replacement. I sent it to them and waited for quite a while then one day I called Epson to see when they were sending the replacment to me I found out they were confused as to whether I was getting a refurbised printer or if they were going to fix the RX600. I told them that it was my understanding that I would be getting a RX620 refurbished printer. Just a few days after this call a RX620 was shipped to me. Then........ about one month later I went out to my garage and noticed an Epson Box sitting down by my car. I thought to myself that was a bit strange because I thought I had put the empty printer box up in my loft. Earlier that day I had opened my garage door, come to find out that a delivery truck came and dropped this box off in my garage, maybe because I did not hear the door for some reason. I then opened this box and found out from looking at the serial # that it was the RX600 I had originaly sent in to be replaced. They had fixed it and sent it back to me. That was real nice of them because now "I have two Epson printers". I like the RX620 better then the RX600 so I keep the other one packed in the box just in case Epson finds their mistake and wants one of them back.
Before Epson I have only purchased 5 different HP Inkjet printers since 1998 and every one still works well to this date! I have never had any troubles with HP products and recommend them for their reliability.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by JillPill (5/4/06 8:22 AM) reply + / -
I wanna scream. I found this thread and have joined the ranks of everyone here. My epson rx600 is only 16 months old. The LCD is totally blank. I tried every home solution and it didn't work. I e-mailed Epson but have yet to see what is going to happen.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Debbie J (5/8/06 3:25 PM) reply + / -
I, too, just found this thread. I just got off the phone with Epson as I had puchased this printer on 11/21/04 only to have the lcd screen poop out in May 2005. They kindly sent me a replacement printer. This LCD screen just went blank the other day. I called and they said that the warranty was expired as I did not receive a new warranty for the 'new' printer received in May 2005. The rep even went on to say that he's never heard of such a problem. I only wish I found this thread before I called. I just sent them an email complaining of this - we'll see what happens. I guess I'll switch to Canon. It's ashame, because I've only ever purchased Epsons.

Re: Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by james deloach (5/13/06 2:33 PM) reply + / -
Can I get that PDF as well, my LCD went out too. Searching the web (and ebay) it seems this is a common failure part.

Aside from repair PDF do you know a good parts source where the LCD is not twice the cost of a new unit?
JW

The Epson rx600 blank lcd Club by hercfamily (5/13/06 2:39 PM) reply + / -
me too. Ditto all. Maximum complaining in full effect. Standy by for BDA.

Bastards. I don't mind a design flaw, Lord knows they happen but just acknowledge it, recall and move on. Argh.
JW

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by JillPill (5/26/06 2:19 PM) reply + / -
I sent an e-mail to epson and didn't get a response. I then called them about two weeks after I sent the e-mail. The tech guy said just to troubleshoot it would be $9.95 US Dollars. I was pissed off and said I wasn't going to pay it. I said well then give me the customer relations number. (The number is 562-276-1311.) I called customer relations and they told me they had never heard of such a problem. They said they would send a replacement produt. I said okay. They even needed my credita card information, just in case I didn't send my printer back. The replacement product was supposed to be a RX600 or 620. I received a R2400, about 3 days later, which is not an all-in-one printer. It is an awesome printer but not what I was told I would receive and definitely not the printer I needed. So me being the good ethical person I am I called Epson back and told them of their mistake. They told me to use the enclosed label to send it back and we would pretend that that printer never existed in my hands. I said okay and sent it back. They said that when it was received back they would send me the printer I was promised. Guess what I received? A refurbished RX600. Which on top of all the problems I can not get to print a document from my computer. I'll have to wait till my hubby gets home to see if he can resolve this problem. It will copy and scan but won't print. I don't know what I am going to do if the LCD goes out on this one. I will probably raise cain. Any way I have not had good luck with epson. I will never buy EPSON again. Do not buy this printer!!!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Pehethe (6/8/06 5:02 AM) reply + / -
Unfortuately this problem has hit Ireland too! I bought my RX600 in Nov 2004 and the LCD just went blank yesterday. Glad to see that I am not alone, as the Epson online support desk in the UK did not seem to know anything about it. At least I have been able to change my ink cartridges after reading some of the helpful hints here - Thanks!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by dzigndiva (6/9/06 11:31 AM) reply + / -
Ditto to all of the above. Mine is in the same age range and the screen died last week. When I first got it the screen died the first week and they replaced it. Now they wanted to charge me the same fee for trouble shooting and want me to go to the nearest authorized repair shop which is an hour away. It eats ink like crazy and it costs me a fortune to keep replacing it. I use the machine constantly and the copy quality is great but they have a BIG problem here. Class action...you bet. Any lawyers out there???? They should recall these.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by lelms (6/15/06 2:20 PM) reply + / -
Another RX600 LCD screen bites the dust. Two days out of extended 2 yr. warranty from CompUSA. They won't do anything, Epson won't do anything. We replaced this printer once, a couple of months from new, for the same reason. I think they have a bigger problem than they are willing to admit. Won't buy an Epson again. I have had at least 20 HP's, and always been able to repair anything that went wrong myself, for minimal cost, plus I can refill the ink, where the Epson, I cannot.
Let me know if anyone gets an action going against Epson. I am not going to put another $170+ into this printer.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by jennifagirl (6/17/06 8:59 AM) reply + / -
I am a 15-month user. I was offered nothing for my problems with the LCD. I think we should band together and do something legal.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by JDavis (6/22/06 7:49 AM) reply + / -
I must be a lucky one or I got a nice guy at Espon. All I did was call the customer relations number and got a guy named virgil, I told him the model and what was wrong with and all he did was take my name and address and said he would send out the replacement rx620 free of charge. I bought this in febuary of 2005 from best buy the date I called was june of 2006 so It was clearly out of warranty but he sent me the new one with no questions asked. I deal with HP all the time and they can be a real pain. But this is the first time I delt with Epson and I have to say if they all go this easy it will be alot more.

JD

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by docartie (6/25/06 3:33 PM) reply + / -

I guess I now join the ranks of the duped. I've been living with the blank LCD for about 6 months (probably died around 14 months in but who's counting?). The printer works great and I don't seem to have trouble changing the ink cartridges (though it seems I'm doing it all the time at $14/cartridge).
Based on everything I've read in this string I will assume that 1) this is a design flaw
2) Epson will likely be less than helpful or at best send me a refurbished or inadequate replacement
3) Epson will NEVER get my $$$ again.

Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (6/26/06 5:40 PM) reply + / -
Sign me up for the class action suit. My family has also fallen victim to the Epson RX600 LCD issue. Unbelieveable! - 15 months, also. I will be contact Epson tomorrow morning.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by grayburnt2 (8/1/06 3:52 PM) reply + / -
Mid-July of 2006 my Epson RX600 LCD bit the dust, too!! Man, 15-16 months and it went out just like a cheap light bulb! I did the Epson online thing and got the same lame message that everyone else got about disconnecting the power source, reconnecting to another plug, and disconnecting from the computer. BTW-no one has mentioned how great that "fix" worked for them! Someone in tech services must be laughing up their you-know-what thinking about everyone trying THAT hokey move!! Bet they held a contest to see who could come up w/the most plausible and totally worthless suggestion-BALDERDASH award winner.

I called the 3 service repair centers listed on their e-mail and got a wide range of quotes over the phone, one guy saying the LCD part was $250.00! AND that Epson parts were often more than the cost of the printers. So I guess I will try to get some satisfaction through the system but think it won't happen (Can't get no SA-TIS-FAC-TION, no SA-TIS-FAC-TION!). But I try.

Hey, random wild hare thought. Since The Epson Company hasn't really heard about this particular problem over the last year or so maybe we could help them understand. We should all start writing to our favorite computer/hi-tech magazine (PC World, MAC, Wired, etc.) Letters to the Editor about this and just how we feel about being RIPPED OFF for $300. plus. with little support or concern from Epson. Because this is really 2 problems here. Maybe someone would finally "hear" it and be concerned about future profits. WRITE-ON!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by nwelsh (8/7/06 8:02 PM) reply + / -
Alas another blank LCD on an Epson RX600. Mine actually lasted 18 months before it died-probably because I did not use mine too heavily. I will try my hand at contacting Epson and trying to get some action. Thanks everybody for the communications-without the information we would have no ammo. Squeaky wheel or something like that. I will let you know what happens!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by stomo2 (8/12/06 6:30 PM) reply + / -
Another one bites the dust...

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (8/13/06 11:02 AM) reply + / -
Mine died today too (out of warranty, of course). This is my third Epson printer, but it will certainly be my last.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by 53 nash (8/22/06 10:50 AM) reply + / -
I had my Rx600 12 monthe before the LCD went blank. Epson sent me another one which did the same thing after 2 months of little useage. What part is causing the trouble so I can take a look at it. It only lites up the copy and printfilm buttons for a moment when turning it on.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (8/23/06 8:06 AM) reply + / -
Hi, I have just spent my afternoon on the phone to Epson,with the same problem the Lcd screen has gone blank!! This is the second unit I have recived from Epson, my first RX600 lcd went after 10 months, this ones only lasted 6m!!! They even tried to sell me a reconditioned one for £70!! I kindly informed the man I would not waste another penny on Epson until this issue is resolved. I am in the process of contacting Epson via good old fashioned letter with a copy of this web site enclosed!!!
Hopefully I will recieve a response in the near future, but i won't hold my breath!!

Blank LCD - File a consumer complaint!!! by Anonymous (8/23/06 8:49 AM) reply + / -
I am shocked to sit here an read this thread regarding blank lcd displays on the Epson Stylus Photo RX600. It is a shame that our hard earned money has purchased us defective products through a company that doesn't seem to care. I too have had a blank LCD display and have merely suffered with it. I thought I would do a little investingating and have come up with another course of action against Epson and their unwillingness to resolve this apparent common problem. Since Epson is located in California - file a consumer complaint against Epson with the state of California. Maybe with enough complaints Epson will do the right thing and provide us with what we are asking for - a product that will work!!! Good Luck to you all!!!

Re: Blank LCD - File a consumer complaint!!! by Anonymous (8/25/06 9:54 AM) reply + / -
I also have no lcd after only 15 months, when contacting epson they advised me to call the repair center for an estimate on repairs. Not Happy with Epson looking at Cannons Now.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by janesprando (8/26/06 4:11 PM) reply + / -
The LCD screen on my Epson RX600 went blank several weeks after the warrenty expired. I called Epson and the tach person I talked to said I ws out of luck and take it to a repair sevice. I called the repair place and the person i talked to said it would cost more to fix it than buy a new one.

I called Epson again and explained that the it was WEEKS after warranty and not months and it would cost more than a new one to fix it. This support guy actually did something! I was sent a refurbished RX600 and it has been working for 9 months just fine. if someone is doing a class action suit, count me in!

jane

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by chaffind (8/27/06 4:07 PM) reply + / -
My lcd has also died today. I will be contacting Epson and hopefully getting it repaired. Wish me luck.

Dottie

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by gbux (8/28/06 11:39 AM) reply + / -
I'm another owner of an Epson RX600 with a blank lcd. I think mine is about 2 years old so I guess I'm lucky it lasted this long. I have the same issues: printer prints but can't change ink cartridges or make adjustments since I can't see the screen. Haven't contacted Epson. I not sure it's worth the effort after reading others experiences. Not sure I want to replace it with another Epson printer. My only hope is to give Epson a lot of bad publicity.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by robbins6 (9/5/06 8:21 AM) reply + / -
I join the ranks....had mine for 2 years and lcd went dark. Anyone know if/where I can get a replacement lcd and do it myself? Was told by repair shop it would cost me $350 to repair...definitely could find another printer with better track record for the money. (Oh, did I mention the expensive ink cartridges I haven't used yet?) Just kind of burns me that the printer works fine, just can't do anything because of the LCD being blank. Contacted Epson by email...waiting to see what their response is. Good luck everyone!!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Luanders (9/10/06 12:21 PM) reply + / -
Yup-I'm with you guys! We had our RX600 for a few months before the LCD died - then Epson sent a replacement which lasted for a year and a half - I'm going to just replace it with an HP - I guess I should have just took the free Lexmark and saved the $350!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Ohio (9/16/06 3:34 PM) reply + / -
Add another one to the list; my LCD screen went blank today. I emailed Epson's tech support then on a whim, checked out printers on Amazon.com & found all sorts of instances where the LCD screen went black on the RX 600. Wondering how widespread this problem is, I searched the web & found this site with even more black LCD screens. It doesn't look like Epson will resolve this issue in the consumer's favor. I'm getting fed up with PCs & their problems that I either spend lots of time trying to resolve or spend too much money to get fixed. What a racket! Epson products will not be found in my household again. This is my first & last.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by flyingjoe5 (9/20/06 9:11 AM) reply + / -
Yep, mine bit it too. About 20 months after purchase. Epson is horrible. Someone please start a suit about this.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by mathacke (9/27/06 7:29 AM) reply + / -
mine died as well. epson denied that they are aware of any problems. rude customer service guy was obviously reading from a script saying "I cant say I have heard of any issues". Unit was 1 month out of warranty and they made no offer at all to me! what a horrible company!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (9/27/06 2:44 PM) reply + / -
Add one more. I put off dealing with it since it still prints well and I've been able to guess the commands for servicing pretty well. I am thankful for the utility software which can help to dignose problems that would normally be on the LCD.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Dactech (10/17/06 4:00 PM) reply + / -
Yet another dead lcd. One of my customers has an RX600 paralleling everybody elses problem here. Going to see what the current status of Epson's method of dealing with this. When I find something out, will post.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by astrobuf (10/23/06 7:44 PM) reply + / -
So my Rx600 died this week. Same problem as usual, no LCD backlight. This is a 5cent bulb, I cannot believe this. I haven't yet contacted Epson, but will in the a.m.

Funny thing, I switched to this thing from years of good service from a variety of Canon ink jets. The first impression is not a good one!

Astrobuf!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by JasonDMX2 (10/25/06 2:17 PM) reply + / -
The problem is with the controller boards themselves in the LCD display unit.

If you get no backlight and no LCD picture it's a board controller failure.

What we need to do is petition for a recall for this problem and persist that epson provide replacement parts or repair.

With all the posts on this thread I would assume everyone is willing to put forth the effort to help solve the problem and well if your not stop posting about your problems.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (10/25/06 2:21 PM) reply + / -
And the backlight is not a "bulb" it's a semiconductor sheet, and it's a bit more than 5 cents, but it is cheap.

If you beleive your backlight is the problem go to digikey.com and buy a replacement that is a close match to the physical dimensions.

This could be a controller failure - the LCD and backlight themselves are pretty long-lasting units.

The problem is with epsons engineering of the controller board in the LCd unit - yet another reason for a recall.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by MMurray (10/26/06 7:43 AM) reply + / -
To the best of my knowledge,Epson has discovered that they had a problem with a very small,board mounted fuse on the display PCB(fuse F1).Newer RX600s should not have this problem.I haven't worked on one since I found this out,so I don't know the rating on the fuse.I do know that if comparable fuses are available at my local electronics store,I will never order a new control panel for this model again.A few cents and some time with a soldering iron are lots better than Epsons price for a control panel PCB.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by MMurray (10/26/06 7:43 AM) reply + / -
To the best of my knowledge,Epson has discovered that they had a problem with a very small,board mounted fuse on the display PCB(fuse F1).Newer RX600s should not have this problem.I haven't worked on one since I found this out,so I don't know the rating on the fuse.I do know that if comparable fuses are available at my local electronics store,I will never order a new control panel for this model again.A few cents and some time with a soldering iron are lots better than Epsons price for a control panel PCB.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Tiko (10/27/06 3:37 AM) reply + / -
My lcd has gone out too. I wrote their troubleshooting support earlier tonight. Then I searched on google to see if anyone else had this problem. I thought that perhaps I had managed to turn the contrast off or something. After reading all of the posts here, I think it is reprehensible that so many people were treated this way. We will be filing with the better business bureau.

MMurray how did you find out that Epson identified what is causing the problem? I would be willing to test out soldering on a new fuse and seeing if this solves the problem. Could anyone send me a description of how to get to the control panel board?

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by MMurray (10/27/06 1:58 PM) reply + / -
Sorry Tico,but for legal reasons I cannot give you an answer to your question.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by grahamrose (10/30/06 3:57 PM) reply + / -
Guess what? Yes! Another out-of-warranty dead screen. Did the unplug replug thing to no avail.
Emailed Epson europe, awaitng reply.
Very interested in fuse fix, but even more interested in Epson being honest, showing some integrity and helping us all out.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by JMT (11/2/06 6:23 PM) reply + / -
Hey fellas.. let me stand in line here. YET ANOTHER RX600 LCD went blank. As I read this forum I am glad I am not alone here. EPSON needs to step up and do something if they have not already. I will go back and read more on this forum.

and will contact EPSON

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Harleysteve (11/6/06 10:00 AM) reply + / -
As the queen songs says, "Another one bites the dust!" I'm going to call the Epson customer service number, but I'm not holding my breath. Nice $0.05 part that took a dump.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Harleysteve (11/7/06 7:49 AM) reply + / -
Called Epson and explained my situation. I kindly explained my situation and that I came accross this thread with all the other people having the same problem. They are sending out a new unit with 7 day warranty. Hey, not the best but since I was out of warranty and that is better than throwing the unit in the garbage. Maybe this will just delay having to buy a new unit for another year, as I would guess the LCD will probably take a dump later in life.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by JMT (11/15/06 9:03 AM) reply + / -
Well.. I called EPSON and they've proven to be helpful. The outcome is that they will ship out a unit with a 30 day warranty. They made sure to tell me that that is not the "norm". I was going to mention this tread as a last resort but turned out I did not need to mention it since they were very cooperative to begin with.

Don't know about the other unit and suspect the same thing might happen with the LCD. Just hope they send RX620 maybe that model has a longer lasting LCD component.

I will post again once the unit gets here.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Mikehhhhh (11/19/06 10:41 AM) reply + / -
My RX 600 LCD just went bad. Went to Epson's site and see that I can purchase a refurbished unit for $79.20. A significant savings over the cost of the LCD replacement part ($170). I now have a replacement unit for future repair.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by ccopaula (11/23/06 7:43 PM) reply + / -
I'm so glad this thread was out there. My Epson RX600 lcd went blank a couple of weeks ago. I moved a while back and knew that finding the book on the machine wasn't going to happen with out a lot of digging so - I went on line and found this tread by accident. SOOOOOOO glad I did. I called Epson on Monday of this week and have my replacement printer installed right now as it arrived yesterday. After reading all the negative communication with Epson I was ready for them to treat me the same way - but they didn't. They were nice and helpful and didn't question the fact that my machine is 23 months old. How long will the new one last? Who knows but at least they stood by the old one at no cost to me.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by ksterling (11/27/06 11:40 AM) reply + / -
I had the same problem with the LCD going blank on my RX600. I contacted Epson customer service. At first they referred me to an authorized repair shop. However, when I mentioned all the trouble reports listed on the internet and the problem reported here with the fuse on the control board, they offered to send me a replacement unit with a 30 day warranty. I told them I was reluctant to accept another RX600, so they sent me an RX620, which is up and running now. The old unit must be sent back, but they are paying the shipping on it. This is pretty good customer service for an out of warranty product, IMHO. My only complaint is that they cheapened the control panel on the RX600. The angle of the LCD screen can't be adjusted anymore and the buttons don't light up telling you what mode it's set on. But it's all working at the moment.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Erica Phillips (12/5/06 8:40 PM) reply + / -
I am on my 3rd Epson RX600 (the other 2 replace on warranty). Each one had the lcd go out. The rep at Epson said it happened a lot. My warranty is now out, and they offered me a reconditioned one for $150 or so -- but the guy was a bit embarrased to offer it to me. I believe it is a major flaw and should anyone want to file a class action suit, if possible, I'm in. We all paid about $399 for this piece of junk.

I am going to call and complain. My printer has sat here for 11 mos. out of commission, and I can't bear to buy a new printer or throw this one out. Thanks for all the info. Hopefully I will talk them into a new one tomorrow.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Hawkdoc (12/8/06 9:11 PM) reply + / -
Same sad story of a Rx600 with no LCD screen. Thanks to all for the input as I'll be contacting Epson.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by JaklynnM (12/12/06 10:11 AM) reply + / -
Add another RX600 LCD failure to the list, out of warranty and a gift to boot so paper trail is unavailable. Here I thought the kids had done something to the printer, my bad.
I love the printer, hate the corporate BS, but I'm not ready to dump this puppy out the window yet or trade it in for a refurb. Guess I'll just play with it for a while and see what I can find out.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by JaklynnM (12/12/06 10:16 AM) reply + / -
Add another RX600 LCD failure to the list, out of warranty and a gift to boot so paper trail is unavailable. Here I thought the kids had done something to the printer, my bad.
I love the printer, hate the corporate BS, but I'm not ready to dump this puppy out the window yet or trade it in for a refurb. Guess I'll just play with it for a while and see what I can find out.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by nancyladd (12/16/06 7:03 PM) reply + / -
The LCD panel on my first Epson RX600 went out while the printer was still under warranty, so Epson sent me another printer. One week after the warranty expired on the second printer, the LCD panel on that machine went out. I will never buy Epson again unless Epson recognizes that they have a design problem, implements an appropriate fix, and lets the general public know about the fix via some forum, internet or otherwise. I have lots of friends who ask for my recommendations on an all-in-one, and I simply cannot recommend an Epson because of this continuing problem. As we speak, I still have my RX600, with a blank LCD. The Epson Tech Staff has advised me that I "really don't need the LCD" and that they really cannot help me because my machine is out of warranty. They did not offer an explanation as to why this "unnecessary feature" is even on the machine and they do not appear to recognize that this is a systemic problem that is affecting many of their customers.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by ConnieMae (12/17/06 9:43 PM) reply + / -
HI, I too have had the blank screen on the rx600 - this is my first time on this forum .

I want to copy old negatives which was why we bought this. Where would that fuse be? I have torn this thing about and looked with a magnifier and strong light. I've found 4 circuit boards not counting a small one at the ink cartridges.

It is so frustrating! Thanks

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by oldgrouchnew (12/28/06 10:11 AM) reply + / -
Add me to the "blank LCD" list if anyone is able to get a class action law suit going. I actually have two with this problem since I also purchased one for my father and both have dark LCD's.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by rjrmsmom (1/4/07 7:12 PM) reply + / -
and another one still!!!!!! i was given mine because the owner was gonna throw it away. i thought,"hey its free no problem i will fix it and that will be that."....little did i know.
i guess the joke is on me. oh well. sorry for all of you who lost money on this. that really stinks.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by AlwaysTryYourBest (1/8/07 9:14 AM) reply + / -
Yep, add another one to the long list... My LCD went blank a few months after putting the printer into service. Epson replaced it under warranty with a refurbished RX600 which has held up so far. This printer does eat ink like crazy. New color cartridges are gone within a few months even when you have not printed a single sheet in color! It seems like the ink is evaporating. Is this normal for ink jets in general?

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by v. (1/8/07 7:01 PM) reply + / -
well fiddlefaddle, add me to the group of this not so "Elite flop" of the: Epson Sytlus Photo RX600 lcd blankout after 24 months... Got the standard email as everyone, and why should I waste more money on a phone call to Epson (or my time)and beg for a NEW or refurbished replacement that is not going to do anything but frustrate me once again sooner or later. I am thankful for threads on the web we consumers can find to help one another! I will file a complaint with the CA BBB on Epson. I also would like to be notified if a class action is started.

Sincerely,
v.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Beckness (1/29/07 11:22 AM) reply + / -
Well, I have really loved the quality of the Epson RX600 and the ease of use. Mine gets a lot of use and of course...after almost 3 years...my LCD screen has gone blank. Everything works just fine but no LCD. I didn't even bother to contact Epson since I don't have any warranty left. However, I just purchased a Refurbished RX600 for $99 from the Epson website. I will use it for my special projects and continue to use my old one without the LCD for regular printing prompted from the computer. Still cheaper than buying a whole new printer! Plus, by the time these wear out...there will be some new technology out there anyway.

:)

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by sad (2/24/07 7:56 PM) reply + / -
and.....another one goes! Bought mine about the same time frame, closer to 2 years. All the lights flash about 12 times when I power up, but it does work to print and copy. From what I hear from the rest of these entries, I think I'll place a call to my brother who works in electronics (and coincidentally has one of these printers also) and see if he can fix it. Nothing to lose, eh? What a shame, I've always liked Epsons.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (3/6/07 5:56 AM) reply + / -
Having the same LCD trouble I saw your post and started looking for fuse F1... and found it! It is a surface mount (SMT) type fuse about width of a pinhead. It is very tiny. Bridging across it makes the LCD work. I measure current draw at 260 ma so a .5 to .75 replacement fuse should do. I think I'll get a tiny fuse with leads and, leaving the original fuse in place, carefully tack the new fuse in place... that should do it.

How to repair the Burns Out LCD Screen by rtnanca (3/6/07 2:35 PM) reply + / -
I, like everyone else here, was happy until the LCD died.
My Epson Stylus Photo RX600’s screen went dark after a little over 13 months of light usage. At first, I thought it was a loose wire, but it appears that the Epson Stylus Photo RX600 is notorious for the LCD screen burning out after so. Epson Website, they list 3 parts dealers for the LCD screen replacement. Non-authorized shops either don't fix Epson’s or told me the cost of repair wasn't worth it. Searching the internet and I founded EPSON RX600 TFT FIX on http://cgi.ebay.com , "Item number: 130087153643" I got it and with my friend who is more technical than me (I’m a girl) we got the printer back to life in less than 20 minutes. It’s that not assome, I got my photo printer worked again for only $7.99

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (3/6/07 4:50 PM) reply + / -
Having the same LCD trouble I saw your post and started looking for fuse F1... and found it! It is a surface mount (SMT) type fuse about width of a pinhead. It is very tiny. Bridging across it makes the LCD work. I measure current draw at 260 ma so a .5 to .75 replacement fuse should do. I think I'll get a tiny fuse with leads and, leaving the original fuse in place, carefully tack the new fuse in place... that should do it.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by reverseentropy (3/6/07 6:22 PM) reply + / -
My post about repairing the fuse showed up as anonymous so I had to re-register in case anyone wanted to contact me...

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Lodge (3/10/07 9:45 AM) reply + / -
have got a friend who has offered to try and fix my LCD screen for me but has asked for part number for this F1 (he says there are lots of different stlye fuses - wouldn't know myself!)and rough idea of location, can anybody help please? waiting to hear from epson - not holding out much hope had to resubmit my enquiry after waiting 2 months for a response - then got told sounds like it needs a service.....i may be female but i'm not that stupid!

Re: Epson stylus rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (3/15/07 8:34 AM) reply + / -
Hendy:
Yes we have the same unit, it is about 2 yrs old, maybe less.
It prints, but no display LCD screen.
How do we get it fixed and where?
I believe this is a built in problem and this unit should have
lasted longer than it did. I have read that several other
people, have had the same problem
Not a happy person with EPSON.

J leh

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Mike45 (3/19/07 6:46 PM) reply + / -
Is there a class action suit against Epson yet for all of us to sign up for concerning the RX600? If so please post link.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (3/19/07 9:57 PM) reply + / -
Lodge,

I can look up a substitute part number but unless your freind has the skills and equipment to replace tiny surface mount technology (SMT) components I would strongly recommend against it.

I took a more safe route, which should still only be done by someone skilled in soldering on very small circuits, and used a fuse with leads. I left the original SMT fuse in place and tack soldered the new fuse to each end.

I got the fuse from DigiKey. Part number F2311-ND. It is a PICO Fast .5 amp 125v axial lead fuse. $0.55.

This is not a recommendation but a description of how I solved the problem. The printer is working fine and I have a spare fuse... just in case... :)

Reverseentropy

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Eyerman (3/21/07 2:53 PM) reply + / -
After reading these posts for about 6 months I finally decided to contact Epson about my lcd panel - same problem as everyone here is having. I have to admit I am one of the lucky ones - even though it was out of warranty they sent me a replacement unit - no warranty - and I sent back my old one. At least I can get a little bit more out of this printer until the new lcd dies. They even sent it within 2 days - boy was I surprised. Thanks all for your input - don't you just love the internet!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by v (3/25/07 2:49 PM) reply + / -
Glad you got a favorable resolution. I am so digusted I don't even want to look at the machine! I might consider contacting again, but I doubt it. I am having problems with a Dell laptop that is nearly 1 year old and have am at least -so far- getting some response with that and that is going to be a full time job, with my full time employment job.
thankx anyway for the response,
v

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Eyerman (3/25/07 5:23 PM) reply + / -
v - I did call off hours which seemed to help - the first time I called about 3 months ago it was more peak hours and I had to wait forever - so finally hung up. Good Luck!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by irrational (5/1/07 2:57 PM) reply + / -
My LCD display went blank a month ago. After
reading about all these problems, I called.
I just got off the phone with customer relations.
Nothing they can do about it because it is out of
warranty. Very rude. Would not let me speak to
a superior and hung up on me. I was trying very
hard not to be rude.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (5/1/07 3:55 PM) reply + / -
Irrational,

Try again. My printer was out of warranty too. After enough complaining and reference to the many failures noted, they offered a one time exchange. I happily took it and the new "used" printer has worked fine for 6 months now.

Astrobuf

Re: Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (5/6/07 10:40 AM) reply + / -
Hi,
Where in the world is f1 fuse located .. Help !

Re: Re: Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (5/7/07 11:58 AM) reply + / -
It is on the board located directly behind the LCD screen. I looked and looked before finding it - it is very close to a larger component and that sort of hid it - you will need a magnifier glass unless you have great vision.
It is about 1/16" long and as a matter of fact, the F1 wording is bigger than the component.
I could not solder a jumper cable onto it because the tip of the iron was as big as the fuse and I totally messed it up.

I changed out the whole screen board from a junked computer that I bought on Ebay. Now I turn off my printer in between prints.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by v2delldno (5/8/07 7:12 PM) reply + / -
I appreciate the response to this "lump of plastic" sitting here ever so close to me...
I am not a fixer-upper and don't have an inside track to a fixer-upper...
I have to depend on the good/sorry natures of the "consumer service" group.

But I will keep checking the threads, in hopes of a solution, just in case..., then guess I'll have to get another printer, and use my dell-all-in-one as my usual backup.

again, thankx,

v

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (5/10/07 2:30 AM) reply + / -
I'm not sure why we can't just bridge this fuse with a piece of wire, what is there to lose?
The screen doesn't work anyway and the original F1 was either too light duty or there's a much deeper power supply problem meaning a replacement will just pop like the first one.
Am I wrong? Please tell me before I try it!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Tiko (5/10/07 8:42 AM) reply + / -
I suggest boycotting Epson printers in the future until they get their act together. They know that this printer has a problem. You notice the model number before this printer is still available for purchase and the model after it is still available -- but the model in the middle (RX600) has been discontinued.

They make some decent photography printers and I had been considering purchasing one -- but not now.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by v2delldno (5/11/07 6:12 PM) reply + / -
I agree with the boycott, but will still be interested if anyone does a class action.
v.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by v2delldno (5/11/07 6:14 PM) reply + / -
I am getting everyone's response twice???

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by popi (5/14/07 7:54 AM) reply + / -
I am going to guess that most of you leave your printer on 24/7 or for long periods of time when you are not printing (longer than the work day). Has anyone noticed that there is not a "sleep" mode on that lcd? If you had to be left on that long you would eventually collapse too. How and who would be responsible for replacing you. I suggest no matter who's product you own that you make it a practice to turn your printer off (from the power button) when not using it. It will have the extra added benefit of drawing your ink away from the print head and recapping it lessening the possibility of ink drying and give you a more efficent use of the product. I purchased my RX600 with full knowledge of the lcd problem. I purchased the extended warrenty hoping the monitor would go out within 3 years and I could then upgrade to the next availble unit with the advance technology. I just cannot get mine to burn out! I keep it off when I am not using it. Try that for longer life no matter what your printer manufacture is.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by reverseentropy (5/14/07 8:35 AM) reply + / -
I couldn't disagree more. Modern semiconducter electronic components operating within their spec ratings typically don't 'wear out' or 'burn out'. What is happening with this LCD assembly is that a fuse is burning out for no apparent reason. There are two probable causes of this IMHO. Either the engineer chose a fuse that is under rated for the load it carries or there was a quality problem with the fuse and a significant percentage were out of spec and burning out under normal load. It could well be the latter.

I always leave my printers, and my main computer on 24x7 why shouldn't I be able to use the technology full time? However, I do turn of monitors because the CRT filament and screen phosphor will age over time.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by John Phillips (5/22/07 1:55 PM) reply + / -
Steps I took – and it worked beautifully – display problem solved !!

1. Ease off the plastic facia that covers the control buttons – (no screws – it just clips on)
2. Remove the cross head screw that is seen to the bottom left of the display unit.
3. Flip display unit open – remove the cross head screw that holds the dark plastic support clip that is behind the unit and top right ish!!
4. Remove the display unit – unscrew the 4 small cross head screws that hold the display assembly together – NOTE THAT THE CONNECTING RIBBON RUNS THROUGH THE HOLE – I didn’t make a note at first, and it took me ages to work out where it went when trying to re-assemble it !!
5. Mark the connecting ribbon so that you know which way up it should be, then carefully pull it away from the black connecting block – Re-assemble merely by pushing it carefully back into place.
6. On the circuit board you will see a large (ish) black Integrated Circuit – using a magnifying glass you will see a tiny soldered fuse marked F1 just to one end of this Integrated Circuit.
7. Using a single strand of clean copper wire ( a single strand taken from a multi strand piece of speaker wire is ideal) carefully solder it across the two terminals
8. Having a soldering tip small enough is vital if you are to attempt this – an ordinary tip is TOO BIG. I used a piece of copper earth wire (obtained from ordinary “Twin and Earth” electricians household mains wiring cable) I then wound it around my soldering tip and filled it down to a fine point.
9. Re-assemble – switch on – and if you have been careful and succeeded in this feat of micro soldering – you should have a realistic chance of having a fully functioning display once again.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (5/24/07 5:31 AM) reply + / -
John,

I SURE do appreciate the detailed the instructions on the fix for the epson. I am going to take them to a local repair shop and see if they will try the fix for a lower cost than the COMPANY that should be offering the fix for FREE....

Again thank you, and if they will fix I will let you know.

v.

Re: Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (5/24/07 2:05 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for your E-mail - I hope your repair shop fixes it as easily as I did - I realise that best practice would dictate that a new (slightly uprated !!) fuse be used instead of the wire - but hey . . . . . I've got a fully functioning printer back that had no fault that caused the fuse to blow in the first place.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (6/2/07 7:31 AM) reply + / -
John,

Thanks for the step by step instructions. It took a little time because the thing is so small, but it worked. Now, I have my display back. Your post was very very helpful. Thanks again.

Re: Epson RX600 blank LCD by Pandasta (6/2/07 3:56 PM) reply + / -
My RX600 LCD went blank nine days shy of 36 months (purchase date was 11 June 2004). Device still prints and copies as expected. Purchased from Office Depot along with a 2 year extended warranty. Thanks to this thread, a careful review of my extended warranty revealed that coverage begins after the manufacturer's warranty expires; Epson's warranty for the RX600 when purchased was one year form the date of original purchase (page 157, Epson Stylus Photo RX600 User's Guide; CPD-17418). Filed claim with Kemper Warranty Plus @ 866 845 4715. I am required to ship failed RX600 to Longwood, Florida at my expense (insure and get a tracking number), in order to receive a claim check or gift card, once the shipment is received and verified defective. Expected turn-around time on claim: 7 to 14 business days following verification. Kemper Warranty Plus customer service representative was courteous and professional.

While it seems quite evident from reading this thread, that my RX600 has toasted its F1 fuse on the board directly behind the LCD screen, and that a fix may be less than $10.00 worth of parts if done myself ... MeThinks that's why I spent $69.99 on the Kemper Warranty Plus. After spending about $50 on insurance and freight, I will have spent $119.99 to get back my original purchase price of $347.85. Net gain of $227.86 and nearly three years of use before my RX600 failed. So it goes . . . -RWL 06/02/07 @ 15:45 PDT

P.S. If Epson is still selling refurbished RX600s for $79.20 and the fix for a failed LCD screen is less than $10.00 and some soldering . . . buying a refurbished RX600 and a continuous ink system may make sense;
( www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=RX600 ).

Re: Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (6/3/07 12:21 AM) reply + / -
Great news Anonymous !! Very pleased that you tried my fix and it worked. It's funny you know . . . . my normal office stationery supplier suddenly stopped selling Epson printers, but continued selling the inks . . . . and I wondered why.

It would appear that everyone else knew about this pathetic state of affairs with Epson RX600 printer screens going blank, and thanks to the good old internet we "the general buying public" can now cut through all the lies and side stepping given to us from customer services and get the otherwise good product fixed. HAPPY PRINTING MATE !!!

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (6/4/07 2:56 PM) reply + / -

Thanks,John.

Fathers Day gift.

Matter Of fact, the hole family thank's you..
I did the fix with instructions from you, went great. I did buy
a pencil tip soldering gun. That really made it go well. The
speaker wire was good.
I guess I could have been done in 10 minutes, if i was 21 years
old, i could see better.

My wife thinks I am a electrician

Again THANK'S A BUNCH.........

Re: Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (6/4/07 3:47 PM) reply + / -
Well my friend it is nice to get so many positive replies to my blank LCD fix - good on you for trying yourself rather than risking being ripped off by someone else !! Epson have done themselves no end of damage over this issue, and in reality they could have done the decent thing by informing it's dealers of the easy fix - perhaps charging the customer a few pounds (dollars !) but keeping goodwill and customer loyalty in the process. Anyhow . . . . I'm sure that you feel 21 years old now that you have mastered the fix and . . . . . you are now . . . an electrician . . . . . Epson RX600 qualified !!

Re: Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (6/4/07 3:56 PM) reply + / -
Well my friend it is nice to get so many positive replies to my blank LCD fix - good on you for trying yourself rather than risking being ripped off by someone else !! Epson have done themselves no end of damage over this issue, and in reality they could have done the decent thing by informing it's dealers of the easy fix - perhaps charging the customer a few pounds (dollars !) but keeping goodwill and customer loyalty in the process. Anyhow . . . . I'm sure that you feel 21 years old now that you have mastered the fix and . . . . . you are now . . . an electrician . . . . . Epson RX600 qualified !!

Re: Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (6/4/07 3:58 PM) reply + / -

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (6/4/07 8:06 PM) reply + / -
I bought this printer about 6 months ago for $75 refurb from the Epson.com outlet, and my screen died a couple months ago. I don't print too much, so i hadn't really noticed it until recently. I thought the printer just went to sleep or something when it wasn't in use. I do remember that there used to be the scrolling text ALL the time, which I thought was strange.

I'd love to fix the fuse, but I don't have any soldering experience (or equipment). This is really frustrating me though.

How easy is this fix? Does anyone who has done it live in the New York City area, by any chance??

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (6/11/07 6:14 PM) reply + / -
My mom's rx600 is also a victim of the blank screenitis. I have printed off the instructions for the copper wire fix. Im wondering if it's safe to string the wire right across or should I get a little fuse? I have it all apart and I'm waiting to get the soldering iron. Do you need more solder or is the solder that's already there going to be enough?
Thanks for any info!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (6/12/07 8:22 AM) reply + / -
I did it! Thanks to those awesome instructions I did it! And it works just fine too! I almost broke down and took it to a electronics shop(they wanted $50 to solder it) because I was not sure I could solder it right. But it came out good! Thanks for the instructions!
Now if I could just figure out how to get my sister's R2D2/C3PO talking alarm clock to work! That was just supposed to be a couple little solders but it still doesnt work!

Anyways....thanks again for the info. My mom will be so pleased she doesnt have to buy a new one!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Ouch345 (6/23/07 10:26 AM) reply + / -
Add me to the list of a blank LCDers . Purchased this unit for $350 dollars back in 7/04. Not a heavy user of the unit, so think it should have lasted longer. Thanks to all those who wrote with comments and fixes. Will give the fix to my husband and see what happens, shame on Epson.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (7/2/07 10:04 PM) reply + / -
Another one bites the dust. Add me to the list. Mine just died after a little over 2 years. I have barely used my printer. It's like brand new without a working LCD. Sent a message to epson before I read this...but I think I will just have my husband try and fix using the instructions posted rather than risking getting a crappy refurbished unit. Thanks for the instructions!!! EPSON...do a recall, this is definately a problem!

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (7/3/07 12:58 AM) reply + / -
Hi, I am in fact a computer tech and I have a friend who works on these things at "board level". I'm going to have him replace the "fuse" mentioned in an earlier post (here), and will let you know if it works. So don't trash your printer just yet! If your husband fixes it just mention about the "axial fuse" located behind the lcd panel.

Thanks

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (7/4/07 5:13 PM) reply + / -
Dear John: Thank you, thank you for the instructions! I posted to this thread in February 07 as "sad", but I am sad no more! My brother works with electronics and is here for the 4th of July. I gave him your instructions, and he had it fixed in about 30 minutes! I would have tried it myself, but knew he had the small soldering iron necessary. He also has an RX600, and has been turning it off since I told him what was happening, now at least he can fix his if it dies too. It's so nice to have my screen back! Thank you again!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by john phillips (7/5/07 1:09 AM) reply + / -
Thanks to all you guys and gals who have taken the bother to let me know that my instructions have enabled them to fix their blank screen on the RX600. You deserve a big pat on the back for having the guts to try - after all I have been messing about with electronics all my life in an amateur way, but you guys are the true stars for trying something totally new. Well done everyone - Best wishes to you all from me - John in the Uk

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by j lehnhart (7/5/07 7:30 AM) reply + / -

Mr. Phillips:

I again would say "Thanks" ...........
Its People like you, who make my day. Willing to help others.
Wish the world, had more John Phillip's........

Good health
God Bless.

J Lehnhart

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Rls0730 (7/17/07 12:11 PM) reply + / -
Wow...
Thought I would be doing some searching for the cause of my prob...and I got it on 1st try searching :)

As far as that fuse goes...might have some help for those that are not good or don't have soldering equip...

Luckily I work at a 2-way communications shop so I have access to/can solder a new fuse on...the micro-fuse is fairly generic and had some that are same size so I was able to fix easily..

Check and see if there is a 2-way radio repair shop near you...most are small 'mom and pop' shops..Mine has 11 employees...If they're anything like mine we'll fix it for 15 bucks or a 12 pack :)

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Gavin Lynch 1 (7/19/07 5:45 PM) reply + / -
Hi Guys,

Just to say- I had the blank LCD problem for over 6 months. I kept using the printer anyway (using refillable ink).

It fixed itself today - by itself! I was so surprised. I didn't even hit it or bang it, I just looked at it and it was working!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by dandrews2 (7/21/07 8:26 PM) reply + / -
I also have the blank LCD problem. I was able to print with it out for a couple of weeks and then one day it wouldnt come on. I unpluged and switched to another outlet and usb, it now comes on but gives me an error message, which I can't read cause I have a blank lcd. Prior to this printer, I had an Epson CX5200 for 2 years and it stopped scanning. It was out of warranty so I purchased the RX600. I have had it for about 29 months (light usage)so it is also out of warranty. I am happy to have stumbled upon this thread. I will be calling on Monday, hopefully I get good results or I will go back to Canon, which I loved but bought the epson for better picture quality. If there is a class action please let me know.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by oneil6 (7/29/07 11:00 AM) reply + / -
I also have the blank LCD problem and plan to check with Epson in seening if they would able to replace my printer with another. Does anyone know what it takes to get the government to issue a recall on products? I think that after seeing all the others with the same exact problem it is something that needs to happen. If I get no response from Epson I guess I will be following John Phillips instructions on how to fix the LCD screen. Mr Phillips since you have fixed your screen have you had anymore problems with the printer? I am curious to know if it is going to keep working or it it is going to be a on going problem.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by john phllips (7/29/07 12:41 PM) reply + / -
Hi oneil6,

in reply to your post - since doing the fuse fix on my RX600 I have had no further problems with it. As I saw it . . . it was either having a printer that was of no use or trying the fuse fix. It isn't very difficult providing care is taken with the micro soldering, and really there was nothing to loose . . but everything to be gained. Epson have let hundreds of customers down over this problem and any Epson dealer worth its reputation could easily have fixed this fault for a few pounds (dollars).
I hope you get it fixed - John (Phillips)

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by dandrews2 (8/3/07 1:06 PM) reply + / -
Just an udate...
I called customer relations 562-276-1311 and spoke with a guy who set up everything to do an exchange. He explained I needed to fax the original receipt and I would receive the printer in 3-5 days. My husband sent the fax from work a few hours later. It has been 10 days, no printer. I should of called sooner. I called today but couldnt find the customer relations number, they couldnt find any record of it. I have been on the phone with them for 40 min. and have gone thru 4 people. When I finally got back to customer relations the lady found the fax and because my home number wasnt on the fax they couldnt find me (they close the file and when they receive the fax they reopen it) She couldnt tell me why they didnt call my husbands work number that was on the fax. Anyway they are now sending out a refurbished RX600 with a 30 day warranty -which i bitched about because so many people on this site are having the same problem with the replacement. She wouldnt do anything about that, I guess it is better then the one I have that doesnt work at all. They are sending me 2 black ink cart. (big deal) for all the trouble. I also asked for overnight shipping, she said they would do it but couldnt guarantee it would go out today (3:30 Friday) so I might have it on Tuesday....we shall see.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (8/4/07 3:22 PM) reply + / -
Thank you SO MUCH , it s a 5 minutes procedure that fixed the problem ! thanks again !

Re: Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (8/9/07 1:43 PM) reply + / -
Well I guess I am not alone. Would somebody please send me a pdf on how to change cartidges?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (8/15/07 7:34 PM) reply + / -
Here's how to get the cartridge holder to move:

1) Turn off the printer, then turn it on again.
Wait until the lights stop blinking.

2) Press the [Setup] button. It should light up.

3) Press the DOWN ARROW 4 times (It is the down part of the concave circular button immediately to the right of the burned out screen).

4) Press the [OK] button TWO TIMES.

If you are successful, the printer should buzz briefly. When you open the top, the ink holder should have moved to its "load/reload" position, and you can then change the ink cartridges.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (8/31/07 9:41 AM) reply + / -
What a disapointment this purchase of an epson RX600 has been. A blank lcd screen, no excuse for this, they should recall every one of these things they sold. I can not believe epson did not know there was a problem. I never want another one.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Stevesal32 (8/31/07 11:52 AM) reply + / -
Mine died as well. These things seem to be dropping like flies. I called Customer Relations and they told me they would give me two black cartridges upon purchasing a replacement printer. Wow! Needeless to say, I am not running to the store for another Epson.

Re: Epson RX600 Bland LCD by Earl from PA (9/6/07 5:45 AM) reply + / -
Well, like a large number of people my LCD screen went blank in the middle of a 35mm scanning project of 450 slides. I purchased this unit September of 2005 but rarely used it. I did not use this printer much since mainly I use an old HP 5L for my printing needs. I was just scanning when this bit the dust. I was saving to a PNY 512MB media disk, then transferring to my pc into various folders for ease of reference and editing.

I search intently to see why and on my own uninstalled the software, unplugged the unit both USB lines and power cord. Waited for a few hours. Scanned my computer and a number of other items. Thought maybe I lost a driver and thus reinstalled latest download from Epson. Well long story short, nadda. It prints just fine, all the buttons light up but just no LCD screen. Without this screen things are pretty much useless.

Think it is time to seek maybe a Cannon or HP product.

As a separated note, there was a Class Action Suit that was settled and that had to do with the printer misreading the level of ink remaining in the cartridges, forcing you to replace even though ink remained. (built in design flaw for big profits if you ask me)

Blank in PA

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by outasight (9/17/07 2:45 AM) reply + / -
Epson should be ashamed of themselves and embarrassed to say the least in the way they handled the rx600 lcd issue

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by outasight (9/17/07 2:52 AM) reply + / -
Forgot to mention that I used the fix and the lcd screen is fine after being broken for 2 years. But that is "ok" since my new canon photo printer will be here next week. I can continue to buy ink for all five of my printers except no more support from me with epson. Shame Shame Shame on them. Maybe someday they may wake up when people like me say NO WAY epson. We know who you are and what you are covering up.

Epson RX600 Blank LCD by Earl from PA (9/17/07 4:37 AM) reply + / -
Update - I went into Best Buy to extend the warranty on my computer for an other 3 years. I happen to mention my dissatisfaction with my Epson printer. I was handed off to a manager and as it turned out I had two days left on my computer warranty which also included my printer. I made the 50 mile round trip and brought back the printer and Best Buy sent it out for repair or if they junk it then a credit for a replacement. I lucked out in that one because I thought the printer had a two year extend warranty plan. The only downside to this is that it is not expected back until October 20th, six weeks without my printer. Best Buy needs to do something about such a slow process.

Re: Epson RX600 Blank LCD by Anonymous (9/17/07 7:19 AM) reply + / -
Earl,

Go online and go to buy.com where you will find a canon pixma ip4500 photo printer for $88.99 with several warrenty extensions available at an additional charge. It appears to be a better printer at a much better price. Forget epson. PS see my two previous comments.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by outasight (9/17/07 7:30 AM) reply + / -
Earl,

outasight here. I posted the two comments just above yours. Hope it helps. I remain outasight. Good luck

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by outasight (9/17/07 7:33 AM) reply + / -
Earl I also posted the anonymous about the pixma ip 4500 for you.
outasight

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Earl from PA (9/17/07 7:42 AM) reply + / -
Thanks "outasight" and "anonymous".... the fixes did not work as I did unplug things, try different outlet ect, but to no avail. I was reluctantly going to purchase another printer was reviewing Consumer Reports among other input. Luckily as I mentioned it was still under warranty for two days. Must be the luck of the Irish in me, since my mum is a Brit. Anyway.... I have a HP 5L and a HP 855C which is fine for now but my scanning project is on hold. Will have to wait until the Powers That BE... Best Buy... determines if they can fix it or scrap it. This will give me time to find a suitable replacement if necessary.

Earl in PA

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (9/17/07 8:40 AM) reply + / -
Earl,
The repair required to actually fix the machine requires some special skills. See above to locate the directions that actually do work. One person listed it in detail somewhere up the list above. Outasight

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Waseem Ahmad (9/19/07 10:38 PM) reply + / -
I am joining the John Phillips fan club! I just fixed my RX600 (that I had recently bought used for just$20 ...everything worked except the lcd). I had never soldered anything in my life before but was able to fix this probem following the instructions posted earlier (5/22/07) by John Phillips. I must say that the micro-soldering was a bit of a challage. I took a very small (~ 1 mm) single thread from a 12-gauge hookup wire (speaker wire) and soldered it using pencil tip soldering iron (25 watt). I soldered (using .015 dia, 1.0 oz Silver-Bearing Solder from RadioShack) the copper wire between two terminals in the area marked with an F beside the area marked F1. I wasn't sure at first about where to solder since I have never worked with electronics at this level. But it worked out and now I have a fully operational printer. I am sure that anyone can fix this issue, it just required concentration, attention to the detail and a steady hand. Thanks a lot John for sharing the fix on this forum. However, I was wondering if after the fix I should have any concerns about leaving the printer on in between its uses. Thanks.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by john Phillips (9/20/07 3:20 AM) reply + / -
Hi Waseem,
Great to hear that you joined the "I fixed the LCD on my Epson RX600 Club" - You certainly got the best of both worlds by getting a cheap faulty one, and then having the courage to have a go yourself - well done !

As far as leaving the printer switched on goes . . . . I have been leaving mine on most of the time and everything works fine. My way of thinking is that the fuse was under rated in the first place and unless something really serious goes wrong to blow "the fix" then you could say that at least we have a good quality working printer without having the pain of wasted time and expense that Epson seem to be putting their customers through.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (9/20/07 5:17 AM) reply + / -
We are all going to band together and establish a refurb center and run Epson out of business. I have left my printer on for over 72 hrs. now and there has not been any issues on safety. If the printer were to overheat the LCD and start a fire, the worst that would happen is that the printer would become toast(that would not be a bad thing) and your house would burn down. Don't worry, EPSON would probably take responsibility and send you a new house. On a more serious note, I am going to shut down between uses to make sure that there are no issues. Just being safety conscious. Good luck to all. I enjoy looking at the LCD screen every time I walk in the dark room and it is lit up like a Christmas tree. I will remain -------Outasight

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by ticktick (9/29/07 6:06 PM) reply + / -
I had a guy put a new fuse over top of the old fuse . Works just fine now, nice to see the display again. Thank you for the info.I havn't seen the display for over two years but still worked the printer.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (10/8/07 4:38 PM) reply + / -
Mr. Phillips,
Would you happen to have a picture of your fix? I see the F1 label but I not sure what I am looking at as far as point A to point B. My panel has been out for over two years now but I happened to come across your message and thought I would give it a try. Thank you very much for your time.
Tripp

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by jsanderson (10/10/07 7:17 PM) reply + / -
Epson came to my rescue when I emailed them three days ago about having an LCD that was burned out for almost 2 years. I never tried to contact them about it, because I knew I was out of warranty, but I decided to try because I felt like I had the right to have a fully functional printer.

Gladly enough, they really took great care of me and sent me a replacement printer - the RX620 (which seems to be a better unit). They stopped refurbishing the RX600, and they didn't even want the one I had back -- I've shot computers and other things with my .40 Cal, but never a printer, so I look forward to that.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by JFenwick (10/11/07 12:50 PM) reply + / -
I just bridged the fuse F1 with a bit of solder.

I cleaned a small screwdrive, , fluxed and tinned it (coated it with solder) and kept a bit on the tip. Heated that up so it was hanging there melted, and touched it to the fuse where it stayed behind.

I suspect that it will carry a bit more current than a .05a fuse, , but I'll just keep the printer in a water bath ;)

Jesse

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by lknafo (10/16/07 6:48 AM) reply + / -
The same LCD issue happened to me. I called Epson and they wasted my time trying the contrast settings when in the end they admitted that the LCD's burning out was a known issue. He then referred me to a repair shop here in Raleigh who said it would be at least $120 to fix. Where can I buy the LCD myself and replace? Thanks

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (10/16/07 8:29 AM) reply + / -
Iknafo - It's not the LCD - Look through the previous threads and find the fix you can do for yourself -

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Rich62 (11/7/07 6:26 PM) reply + / -
Guess I was luckier than others as my LCD took three years to go blank. John Phillips 5/22/07 has a great procedure to jumper the F1 fuse that will work. I deviated slightly by using a toothpick loaded with Superflow 2000 flux and made a small pool between the F1 contacts. Just a touch of silver solder jumpered the contacts. Thanks for the procedure John.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Asim (11/7/07 7:21 PM) reply + / -
I have a similar problem with my rx 600 and after a lot of research found a company in Bay area Ca. that does repair the display for $30.00. The url is www.deenselectronics.com. Just remove the display panel and send it to them by mail and they repair it in a couple of days and mail it back to you. My unit is back in perfect working order. Hope this helps.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Don__1 (11/14/07 4:47 PM) reply + / -
A couple of images to help others locate the fuse on the RX600 LCD circuit board.

http://www.elvis.ns400r.co.uk/images/epson_rx600_faulty_lcd.jpg

http://www.elvis.ns400r.co.uk/images/epson_rx600_faulty_lcd1.jpg

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (11/17/07 2:52 PM) reply + / -
Do you think you could send me the instructions on how many times to press the arrow buttons to get the menus no longer showing on the screen? I also am a victim of both Epson and Best Buy, through whom I recieved a second replacement printer at about 13 months and the second one had an extended warranty for having sat in the store so long and me being 2 and a 1/2 hours drive from the store they also shipped it back to me. Less than 12 months later with the extra warranty tacked onto it, Best Buy says to me they can't fix the LCD screen and I can either exchange it for a comparable model and lose the remaining Best Buy warranty or lose the warranty to get it back. Best Buy is also well aware of this issue and were extremely rude and difficult with me for having expressed civily my feelings about the matter. In other words, they didn't have to take my printer and send it off to know that their people would say it would cost more to fix it than to replace it. Furthermore, they insisted I pay the DIFFERENCE between the old printer and a new model on the floor with fewer features and to buy the warranty on it as well. I told them I wanted my old one back but in the same condition as went I took it to them. They took the cord off and the ink out. Now I discover my manual isn't enough to make it operate fully i.e. doing a simple nozzle check to get it printing properly with the new ink cartridges. The printer's manual is on-line so if those who still have the LCD working could share a print out of the number of times to press the up or down arrows which the manual doesn't specify, at least I for one will be in business operating it strictly from my printer software and manual. I also would like to be included in a class action. Somehow I was left off of the mailing list in the "ink" lawsuit which Epson lost for those of you who were wondering about that issue.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Don__1 (11/18/07 5:10 AM) reply + / -
Go buy a cross head screw driver and a soldering iron. The LCD repair is simple to do.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (11/19/07 11:22 AM) reply + / -
John Phillips you are the man.Thank you very much. Fix worked great

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (11/26/07 3:57 PM) reply + / -
I just wanted to add my successful repair to this thread. Many thanks to the original poster of this fix, you've put lots of smiles on people's faces with your help, cheers!!

Epson rx600 blank lcd x 2 by steelers1 (1/17/08 5:48 AM) reply + / -
I own 2 copy centers and have a whole lotta epson printers. 3 rx580's, 2 600's, a 1280, a 1800 and I think I still two rx500s that still work. I bought both the 600s referbed from epson and both screens went blank after less than a year. I don't know if its a design flaw, but 2 out of 2 is 100%. I've sold more people on Epson printers than some of their sales reps, I'll bet. With this screen malfunction and the fact that I can no longer get remanufactured or off brand cartridges. I feel like I've let a bunch of people down. Anyone know where I can get a continuous ink system or cartriges for rx580 cheap?

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd x 2 by Pandasta (1/17/08 4:10 PM) reply + / -
Greetings steelers1,

For your remanufactured or off brand cartridges have you tried:

http://meritline.com/epson-stylus-rx580-printer-inkjet-cartridges.html

http://meritline.com/

Thanks to this thread, I now have two working RX600s purchased in nonfunctioning condition on eBay (the second RX600 is for backup). Following my own advice at post #132 on 06/02/07, although I ended up with a continuous ink system from:

http://meritline.com/continuous-ink-system-inkjet-cartridges.html

From my perspective, the F1 fuse issue is an Epson quality control/quality assurance matter that has been handled very poorly by Epson Customer Service. Outside of this F1 fuse issue, I am pleased with the print quality and print results of the RX600.

So it goes . . . --RWL 01/17/08 @ 16:10 PST

P.S. I am quite satisfied with the meritline.com continuous ink system for the RX600.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by flexdaddyz71 (1/20/08 7:39 PM) reply + / -
I'm no expert, but I was able to get my LCD back up and running within 10 minutes with the fix provide in this thread. I basically put one heavy drop of flux directly on the fuse. Done deal with no special tools, lights or glass. Only the second time I've used a soldering iron. That beats replacing my printer. Thanks Again!!!!!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by steelers1 (1/20/08 8:01 PM) reply + / -
I fixed 1 of mine will get to the other soon. Good feeling to get it going again. Thanks for the pictures and instructions! Can't get the rx580 inks on meritline anymore though I've bought hundreds in the past.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Jocelyne (1/21/08 12:01 PM) reply + / -
I've had 2 RX600 and love them both. After 1 1/2 years my lcd stopped working. One after the other. Now I'm on the Vista operating system and can't find any place on my computer to change my ink cartridge. I could bring my printer home and connect it to my Mac but that's a hassle.
Any other suggestion.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (1/29/08 7:34 AM) reply + / -
Guess what? I have the same problem. I have read that there is some form of DIY fix for this and would gratefully appreciate any help you could give me to repair this.
Epson totally disinterested in this problem and suggested I bought another printer as the cost of repair would not be justified.
Regards
Carolyn.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by john phllips (1/29/08 7:45 AM) reply + / -
Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by John Phillips (5/22/07 1:55 PM)

Hi Carolyn, If you look back through the posts in this section to the one that I posted ( The heading as per the first line at the top of this message) you will find a way to fix your screen. Loads of people have done it and it really does fix things. My RX600 has never caused any further problem for well over a year now.

Good luck

John Phillips

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by kibbles (2/7/08 1:55 PM) reply + / -
I have just replaced the fuse and am back in business!

Thanks for the posty!

Glenn

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (2/25/08 5:33 PM) reply + / -
Kudos to John Phillips. I have minimal soldering skills and was able to make this repair. Repair took less than 15 minutes from disassembly to soldering to reassembly. Thanks also to the person that posted pictures of the area to be soldered.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (3/7/08 8:49 PM) reply + / -
Excellent instructions, it took about an hour worth of tries but I eventually got it. Display works.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (3/17/08 8:34 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the tip for repairing John Phillips. Not having a micro soldering iron, I used my regular one to remove the F1 fuse, then put a pool of solder across where the fuse was. Took quite a bit longer, as not having the proper tools is apt to do, but it worked anyway. Thanks again!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (4/6/08 6:37 AM) reply + / -
Thanks to John Phillips, Don_1 and all those who took the time to help their fellow Epson RX600 users. The soldering instructions over the F1 fuse worked out in the end after several tries. The photo of the LCD board was perfect. How cool it was to see the LCD unit light come back on! It can be done with patience. Sincere thanks.

Re: Epson RX600 blank LCD by nansiedou (4/21/08 7:31 PM) reply + / -
Thank you, thank you, thank you - to FixYourOwnPrinter.com for this forum, to John Phillips for the fix, and to those who added their helpful images and tips.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (5/1/08 2:55 PM) reply + / -
Hi,, would you be so kind to send me the instructions how to fix my LCD on rx600,,,please
Many Thanks
Erno

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (5/1/08 4:18 PM) reply + / -
Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom and expertise with me and other needy do-it-your-selfers. You truly are a wonderful team player. My frustrations have been lasting for over 6 months and it all went away within one hour of following your solution, to the tee, and keeping a steady hand.

Thanks once again and God bless,

David E Martin

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Bram Platel (5/9/08 5:15 AM) reply + / -
Thanks to John Phillips who posted his fix I was able to repair the LCD problem within minutes!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by John Phillips (5/9/08 8:20 AM) reply + / -
Hi to everyone out there in RX600 land - It has been a year now since posting the fix for the dreaded Epson RX600 Blank Screen, and I would just like to thank everyone who had the bravery to try it themselves, and then post a note of thanks to me on this forum. Needless to say . . . Epsom have not played the game with this issue and dropped a hugh brick by not admitting a design fault and taking the appropriate action. Anyhow folks . . my RX600 has never once let me down again since applying the fix .. . and for all those that may be thinking about the safety aspects of bridging the F1 fuse .... nope ... it hasn't burst into flames either ! Thanks Gals and Guys for reporting all your sucessful fixes - John

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by l3ft3r1s (5/12/08 7:04 PM) reply + / -
Hey there!
My RX600's lcd screen went black at the end of my warranty period. I tried to contact support but IT/Customer Support (not just Epson's) here in Greece sucks. So I gave up, since everything I needed I could do it via my PC (photocopies, cartridge changing etc).

But then one day I thought, "hey I paid for this"... so I searched the net and found this thread. It seems that EPSON doesn't want to admit that they actually shipped some - a lot of - defective items that in most of the cases they are not willing to replace or repair. Thanks GOD it's just the lcd screen, the rest of the machine just rocks!

Anyway, I was happy to find a solution in this forum. I followed the instructions and now it works perfectly (for the time being...)!

Thanks guys! This forum has just been bookmarked :)

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by hawkdoc (5/17/08 5:23 PM) reply + / -
I skipped the whole copper wire part and soldered across the F1 as described in the thread. Working great! thanks for the great info and pics.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by atvalley (5/23/08 4:56 AM) reply + / -
Thank you John Phillips for your fix on the lcd panel. I was able to solder it up with no copper wire at all with the help of my wife and son and now i have a fully functioning lcd panel on my printer. Thanks for taking the time to post a fix on this problem. Epson should of put out a fix for this, but as you probably have seen with all of the reviews, they failed to do it.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by MThomp (6/1/08 3:42 PM) reply + / -
I can have the happy face icon now that I followed John Phillips instructions on how to fix my lcd screen. I will however never buy an Epson product again. It took me a while to get the back off since Epson's "finest" had put the screws in crooked and stripped them as well but I did finally manage to remove it. I also had to master new soldering skills but finally I have a working screen. Thanks, John!!! You saved me a lot of money. To anyone else out there who was hestitant about trying to fix it yourself, don't be, it was well worth the time.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by NightHawk (6/4/08 9:03 AM) reply + / -
The same happened to me.. after 14 months, my LCD is out.. Epson's own repair center told me it wasnt fixable or would cost more than a new printer, and advised me to trash it. I cant do this as I have prepurchased a case of ink. I use this printer in my business (althought not alot). I just fired off a nastygram to Epson. I will keep you posted..

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by atvalley (6/4/08 4:42 PM) reply + / -
Hey, NightHawk, this is a fixable problem. Just responding to say that the key is to have a small soldering gun for soldering across the fuse. As i said in my earlier response, i was able to fix mine with the assistance of my wife and son. It works like a top now. If you aren't willing to take on soldering it yourself, ask some friends if they know how to use a solder gun and follow the directions on how to take it apart and solder it. I opened up the link with the closeup picture of the circuit panel and left that up on my monitor for reference. It's not that hard to do. Good luck!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by armchairqb2000@yahoo (6/4/08 5:39 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the fix!!! I got to brush up on my soldering skills too!! I just briged the solder over the fuse.

I took this unit from somebody that was throwing it away thinking it would a decent if not overly large scanner. Is the print quality on this unit worth investing the money in ink?

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (6/6/08 6:04 PM) reply + / -
I have read this fix for the blank lcd and am wondering how safe it is to by pass this fuse? Does anyone have any information on this fuse type that I could replace it instead of just by passing it?

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by John Phillips (6/8/08 3:21 AM) reply + / -
Hi Anonymous,

I understand your concern about the fuse - A fuse is either there for protection of other components or safety. This 'fuse' is so small that it cannot possibly be there for any safety reason . . . merely there to protect other component(s) should there be a spike or surge in power. The fix that I posted on this site a year ago used a single strand of very thin wire that would blow if overloaded with 1 or 2 amp at the very most. The issue is not one of safety - more an issue of being the wrong size - I know of not one person that has either bridged the fuse with wire or indeed simply soldered across the whole fuse, that has had any further trouble with the display. I hope this sets your mind at rest. regards John Phillips

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (6/16/08 5:55 PM) reply + / -
Yes that helps a lot. What wire type and size do you recommend?

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd another sucessful repair by mikeinwa (6/29/08 1:58 PM) reply + / -
Thanks, John. The F1 fuse repair repaired another epson RX600. Like the others it went out just after warranty and has been running minus the display for a couple years. Since, we required it for a job to scan negatives that must be run from the display it was repair or replace. After finding no voltage on the lcd display I knew I had a power problem and went back to the main board stumped and ready to quit before finding this link online.
Since, my soldering skills are not at the micro level I cheated a little and went to the open circuit bd with my wire, that way the bent end stayed in place while I was soldering.
As like the others Epson wanted well over a hundred dollars for repair when we had contacted them and would not just sell the display for a reasonable price. Thanks again

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (8/19/08 1:40 PM) reply + / -
Thanks John,

Got my RX600 working again by buying $2 worth of solder wire. Epson should give you an award.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (10/19/08 12:03 PM) reply + / -
Epson RX600 that I've had since 2004 and use for everything, including the 35mm slide digital conversion, had the LCD go blank yesterday. Read your post, procured a 6watt battery powered soldering iron from Home Depot today and my RX600 LCD is working again. Thanks for your post.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (10/19/08 12:06 PM) reply + / -
Your picture of the circuit board and John Phillips description were the perfect answer to my Epson RX600's blank LCD. I thanked John separately. Thanks Don! My RX600 was fixed in 20 minutes after I purchases a 6watt battery powered soldering iron from Home Depot.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Don__1 (10/27/08 11:22 AM) reply + / -
Glad to see that this thread is still helping others.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by lwilson (11/30/08 9:25 AM) reply + / -
Add another member to the John Phillips fan club! My LCD went blank over 2 years ago. However, I was still able to use the printer and the scanner although not to their full potential. The only problem arose when I wanted to change ink. I had to wait until the cartidge was totally empty before I could do so. Calls to Epson were fruitless and usually ended with "What part of the screen is blank don't you understand?" I'd have been happy just to know how many times to push the down arrow key. Thanks for those directions as well. With John's directions, my husband was able to make the repair in short order. Many thanks, John and everyone.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by reo (12/30/08 9:25 PM) reply + / -
Yet another member of the John Phillips fan club. I too had the LCD screen go blank about two years ago. I finally got around to trying it. Though it was a struggle, I finally did get it to work and could give my wife back her "rx600" with a working LCD screen and take back my "rx500".

Too bad this likely will be my last Epson printer given how they handled this design flaw.

Thanks again to John.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by John Phillips (12/31/08 1:43 AM) reply + / -
Hi Everyone - I just can't believe that so many of you out there have managed to be brave enough to "have a go" at fixing your blank RX600 screens . . . . well done. My original post detailing exactly how to do it was placed on this notice board on 5/22/00. I used a single strand of copper wire, but others have just bridged it completely with solder. I can report that my RX600 is still going strong and having no problems. Wishing everyone a happy new year, and thanking all who left feedback on the problem. John

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by John Phillips (12/31/08 1:48 AM) reply + / -
Opps the date of the original fix was 5/22/07 - Just in case anyone wants to check it out . . . . there are so many posts here now, and it's easier to find the fix by looking up the date rather than trawling through everything.John

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (1/6/09 4:37 PM) reply + / -
Just to let you know that my Epson RX600 LCD screen went out after about 2 years this past December 2008. I called Epson & was told my warranty expired but I could contact a dealer to fix it. I called a dealer & was told it would be $215 to replace the part for the LCD screen. I decided it isn't worth the money to fix when I can buy a new printer (different brand). However, I can still print but was having a hard time trying to change the ink cartridges until I came across this website. Thanks to all of you who offer tips. I am going to try John's fix to see if I can get the LCD screen working again.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by jodokes (2/7/09 3:13 PM) reply + / -
My LCD just failed and I used your procedure (and marked the ribbon cable) and all is well.

I really wonder why, in hindsight, Epson even has a fuse to protect a circuit that is priced out of sight to replace?

Anyway, John, thanks for the research and advice!

Hank

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by vp (3/18/09 9:00 AM) reply + / -
Would someone with a working screen please tell me, how do I get to the feature that re-sizes output images when using without a computer. My lcd screen stopped working and for some reason it prints things at twice the size, so I either need to change the output size or I need to completely reset all settings, either would be fine. Which buttons do I need to press and how many times? I restarted it, so it should (I believe) have put the cursor back to the top of the menu (if there was one visible).
I don't have the capability to perform the John Phillips fix yet and need to get this changed asap, so help would be much appreciated.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (3/18/09 11:18 AM) reply + / -
If you hit the button "Setup" and press down 7 times, the "OK" it will allow to you reset to factory defaults.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (3/18/09 4:05 PM) reply + / -
thank you for your help

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (5/25/09 1:14 PM) reply + / -
Thanks, John. I followed the directions and got my LCD working.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (5/25/09 1:16 PM) reply + / -
Thanks, John. I followed the directions and got my LCD working.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (6/15/09 8:25 AM) reply + / -
Thank you john it worked perfectly, it saved buying a new printer!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Jeff. S (7/9/09 9:12 AM) reply + / -
I came back from holiday to find that my screen had also blanked. I have now owned 3 different epsons and not one of them has worn out each has failed the previous one blew every chip on the board! I dont even know why I bought the RX600, I dispair of this company and like others have said "Why don't they just come clean over Fuse 1 of the LCD Unit" Having got egg on their face is bad enough but to pass the buck to us is not on. I shall seek an alternative make when this unit finally die's!

Having said that 'Thank You Very Much John', Your fix is tricky but worth while. I used a 15 watt Iron with the tip removed and a length of 1mm copper wire wrapped round the iron's element. 1mm is a bit thick but is stiff enough not to bend. I just dragged a solder whisker across F1. I also used a linen tester to magnify F1 with out it I couldn't even see it, also at 63 I am lucky my hands dont shake as a steady hand is required for this fix.

I am afraid my Epson days are over, lets face it with backup like that whats the point!

Jeff S. - UK.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (8/31/09 3:20 PM) reply + / -
I just wanted to thank you for the detailed instructions. My first Rx600 LED Screen went out during the warrantee period and we got a brand new one. The new one was fine for three years, we actually love the print quality and dreaded finding a new one. We followed your instructions to the T and I honestly did not think it would work but it did! Just perfect and I'm really thankful.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by j-kal (9/21/09 8:01 PM) reply + / -
I have never soldered anything in my life, but I did it tonight. I figured I had nothing to lose. I got a bead of solder on a standard sized 25 watt iron, and used a tiny precision screwdriver to drag a little of it down the iron until it was hanging off like an icicle. Then it touched the icicle point to the F1 fuse and that was all it took to get my lcd working again. Thanks so much for the helpful pictures and postings that gave me the confidence to try this myself!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by kenski (9/23/09 7:42 PM) reply + / -
Suprise suprise!!!

I wasent aware that there was problems with the LCD screen on the epson printer.. And as of today well my screen just went blank..

Is there anyone out there that either can fix this problem or has another rx600 that they are selling::

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by John Phillips (9/24/09 1:44 AM) reply + / -
I'm amazed that so many displays have been fixed by using my method, and from the feedback, are still using it . . .so I thought it may be a good idea to repeat the method to save people having to trawl through the posts to find it. The only comment that may make life easier for some, is that a few guys have chosen to simply bridge the F1 fuse with a blob of solder rather than the wire. Anyhow, I'm glad it has helped so many of you out there - my display continues to work without any further problem .... and that's 2 years since the fix!

1. Ease off the plastic facia that covers the control buttons – (no screws – it just clips on)
2. Remove the cross head screw that is seen to the bottom left of the display unit.
3. Flip display unit open – remove the cross head screw that holds the dark plastic support clip that is behind the unit and top right ish!!
4. Remove the display unit – unscrew the 4 small cross head screws that hold the display assembly together – NOTE THAT THE CONNECTING RIBBON RUNS THROUGH THE HOLE – I didn’t make a note at first, and it took me ages to work out where it went when trying to re-assemble it !!
5. Mark the connecting ribbon so that you know which way up it should be, then carefully pull it away from the black connecting block – Re-assemble merely by pushing it carefully back into place.
6. On the circuit board you will see a large (ish) black Integrated Circuit – using a magnifying glass you will see a tiny soldered fuse marked F1 just to one end of this Integrated Circuit.
7. Using a single strand of clean copper wire ( a single strand taken from a multi strand piece of speaker wire is ideal) carefully solder it across the two terminals
8. Having a soldering tip small enough is vital if you are to attempt this – an ordinary tip is TOO BIG. I used a piece of copper earth wire (obtained from ordinary “Twin and Earth” electricians household mains wiring cable) I then wound it around my soldering tip and filled it down to a fine point.
9. Re-assemble – switch on – and if you have been careful and succeeded in this feat of micro soldering – you should have a realistic chance of having a fully functioning display once again.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by GFenUK (10/13/09 1:34 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the fix John. Was given a RX600 with no display - found your original posting and got the soldering iron out and two attempts (my eyesight is not as good as it was) all works - hoorah! Thanks again!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by tmr (10/20/09 12:48 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the fix. I had a electronics tech at work do the soldering for me and the fix looks and works great!

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by lobster39817 (11/1/09 4:52 PM) reply + / -
YOU ARE DA MAN!!!!!!!! You just saved me from buying a new printer!!!!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (11/8/09 9:05 AM) reply + / -
This is all foreign to me...I see the F1, what do the two terminals look like?

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by John Phillips (11/8/09 9:18 AM) reply + / -
Hi Anonymous - if you send me your E-mail address I'd be very happy to send you a photo of the soldered fuse to save you any doubt as to what to do. jophillips06@aol.com

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (11/8/09 10:48 AM) reply + / -
That would be great! Thanks!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (11/8/09 6:47 PM) reply + / -
Ok...I did it! I followed Johns directions and after getting up my nerve I just dropped a few blobs of solder right on the little fuse (tiny little thing with and F on it next to F1) I made sure it reached both sides to conect the terminals on each end (dots is what they were). I put it back together and plugged it in...watching for smoke, I turned it on...WALA...an LCD that works...oh, it was so easy! Thanks John!

I did not take the ribbon off...I left it attached and after removing the casing from the display I just put that left screw back in place so the display would not move while I was working on the circut board.

I bought a small soldering pen like tool at home depot...it worked like a gem (with the soldering wire and butane it totaled about $16.00...way better than buying a new printer).

If your LCD is out...know that if I can do this, so can you.

Vicki

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by anonymous (11/22/09 10:04 AM) reply + / -
Thank you for the very detailed directions John and also Don for the picture! Another success! My husband used the "blob" method, instead of trying to connect a wire. Unbelievable! Guess I can get some more use out of my old Epson, and spend the money I just would have spent on a new one on something else! Merry Christmas!

This thread is 4 years old and still helping! Thank you!!!

Carol

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (12/8/09 2:32 PM) reply + / -
I just fixed my lcd screen. Thanks John. The screen has been dead for several years now. I have just been using as a printer but now I have my screen back. Now I have a new problem. The carriage seems to be jammed. Any suggestions on that?

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by dragonladyfire (12/11/09 10:42 AM) reply + / -
I did it too! I had emailed John for the photos just to make sure that I did it correctly.

I was unsure if I can do it because I don't solder, but I went to Radio Shack, paid $8 for a solder kit (came with solder), followed the instructions and used a toothpick to dangle the solder from the gun - to make the micro point that John said to do, followed the pictures and done! This took me 15 minutes to do and it works!

If I can do this - a woman with no soldering skills, anyone can do it! Thanks John! I got a quote for a fix from a certified Epson repair shop and they wanted to charge me $160. This cost me $8 plus tax!

Make sure you have a micro screwdriver - I used the one I have for fixing glasses, for the back of the LCD unit.

-Danette

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Anonymous (3/28/10 6:12 AM) reply + / -
Hi John , Thank you so much for shearing this info " EXCELLENT "
WORKED A TREAT , if I Had better eye sight this job would have been less 5mins but as it was 30mins start to finish . by the way it should be noted that "F" denotes the fuse REPAIR .... F1 number of the Fuse still when i had figred it !!! no prob
Thanks again

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by pauldreed (4/1/10 3:28 AM) reply + / -
Hi John, thanks for the article & photos.
20 minutes work this morning, and after 2 years of not having a display, I am finally back working!

THANKS

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Tjeff101 (4/26/10 12:52 PM) reply + / -
I used John Phillips instructions today and it worked like a charm---I like this printer and have used it now for almost 5 five years its still going strong with the exception of the LCD which I fixed today. I modified by putting a small blob of solder on F1 rather than trying to solder a wire across. Thanks John

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Ron Watkins (7/5/10 7:01 PM) reply + / -
John,

you're probably getting tired of the many requests for your remedy on fixing the LCD display on the Epson RX600.

I too am having the same problem as everyone else. I copied the step by step process you submitted as a post. But, I'm one that relies on pictures and diagrams (their worth a thousand words you know).

If you have the time I would appreciate any help the photos might reveal. It appears you have helped many others in need.

Thanks,

Ron

Re: Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by John Phillips (7/6/10 3:14 PM) reply + / -
Hi Ron,

I do have a couple of photos that may help, but don't seem able to up-load them to this site. If you let me have your E-mail address I'll send them across as an attachment.

Best wishes,

John

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by built4action (edited 12/21/10 12:33 AM) reply + / -
I also tried to fix the display, the light went on that was okay ... but there where only stripes on the display :-( ... so guess i really have a problem ... any sugestions? a dutch guy

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by bkkring (12/20/10 9:19 AM) reply + / -
John,

Can you email me the photos too. kringbulk@att.net. Thanks so much.
Brenda

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by John Phillips (12/20/10 2:53 PM) reply + / -
To everyone out there in Rx600 blank screen land - Several people have asked for photos of the circuit board showing where to solder the fix - However I don't seem to be able to upload the photos to this site! If you need the photos PLEASE don't post your E-mail address on this site .... just in case you get a load of spam as a result. E-mail me at jophillips06@aol.com and I'll send them to your e-mail address.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Beerserk (2/10/11 7:16 AM) reply + / -
My RX600 LED just went bad. After reading all the threads above, I was amazed at how callous and greedy Epson's response was. They really think peopole must be stupid. Then again, who bought an Epson product? Big business for the almight dollar and "to hell with the customer base" seems to be the norm of the day! If there is a class action suit, count me in and how do we get this action started. Sounds like you have a great fix and are one of a minority that understands honesty and integrity.
Could you please send me you fix instructions and I shall NEVER support Epson or any other Epson products again.

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by John Phillips (2/10/11 8:02 AM) reply + / -
Hi Beerserk - If you scroll back through the posts to one dated 9/24/09 you will see the fix - loads of people have managed to do it. The only thing that several have done slightly different is to simply solder over the F1 fuse rather than mess about with the tiny strand of speaker wire .... Good luck - John

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Beerserk (2/10/11 9:09 AM) reply + / -
John, I'm a disabled vet, Vietnam era Marine that fixes things with a K-Bar and Flamethrower. Sounds like I have the right tools for the job. I can melt the solder and force it into the area it needs to go ... but I sure could use a pic or two to help cut down on the amount of solder I need. And by the way, it's so-o-o-o-o refreshing to communicate with someone who responds so quickly and efficiently now a days. Thanks for the IMMEDIATE response and solution.
Just got back a reponse from Epson to buy more of their junk at a discount! What a fix and "Enough is Enough". It's time to be checking into the options of a class action law suit against Epson.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by John Phillips (2/10/11 9:31 AM) reply + / -
Just send me an e-mail at: jophillips06@aol.com and I'll pop the photos across to you Beerserk

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Beerserk (2/10/11 7:52 PM) reply + / -
Thanks John, I bought an 11-piece soldering kit, .015" dia. silver-bearing solder and got out my old magnifying glass. cost: $ 29.00 with tax. Repair estimate advised by Epson .... $ +175.00 and shipping. Or, i could buy something from Epson as a loyal customer, at a discount. Yeah, right!
I followed your instructions and it was very simple until i saw how small the "F1" fuse area was you have referred to in your repair solutions. I was not sure what the fuse I needed to solder was and just surmised the gizmo between two silver bumps that had "F" (fuse) on it had to be the target area in question. How TINY!!!
Earlier solutions had some lady mentioning a toothpick when soldering. So, I heated up the solder iron, put solder on the tip until it was a little blob .... put the tip over the target area and wiped a glob of solder off the tip with the toothpick and bombed a neat little blob right over the "F" fuse. I connected it up and Nothing. I re-blobbed a larger, messy bomb to make sure I had both contacts and the "F" gismo covered, re-connected the power cable, turned on the machine and .... YES!
I fixed it following your instructions posted on 9-24-09.
I truly thank your for being a Great American havine integrity and honesty. I have subscribed to your website.
Beerserk

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by scamp126 (2/17/11 4:36 AM) reply + / -
A large Thank You to John Phillips.

I think it only fair to say that we have had an RX600 for seven years now. (I live in London UK.) It has been used extensively by my wife, who creates greeting cards, printing on paper, card and photo paper. In that time we have had to reset the usage counter three times but have had no other issues until today. This is a sterling performance by any measure for a printer which is by no means intended for such heavy usage.

Clumsy loading of paper in the input tray today resulted in a paper jam. After clearing this the LCD was blank. I have no idea how these events could be related but there you are! (some internal voltage spike perhaps.)

Searching the net I quickly tripped over this forum and this thread. As a result I managed to fix the problem in half an hour and the printer is back at work. (Hopefully for another long period!)

Thanks again, Alan.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Pat0077 (8/9/11 5:51 PM) reply + / -
Thank you John Phillips. Blank LCD on my RX600 was also the result of the blown fuse on the circuit board.
Just to reiterate what has already been mentioned a number of times: the fuse is very very small. You will need a small soldering gun. As dexterous as I am, the best I could manage was to drop a tiny blob of solder on the fuse to cover the ends and complete the circuit.

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by wissam (9/2/11 9:46 AM) reply + / -
John Phillips is the man! I have tinkering and soldering experience so it was a 5 minute job to get a printer I haven't used in two years back in action. Now printing recent family vacation pics! yay.

One note, though. My F1 fuse did not look visibly damaged at all (even under magnifier) so I spent 10 minutes suspecting whether in my case it was at fault -- then said to hell with it and soldered a thin wire across the terminals. Presto.

Happy Camper here.
Thanks again to John, all of you, and THE INTERNET.

F$#@ YOU EPSON!

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by jegohio (12/29/11 2:14 PM) reply + / -
Hey John Phillips...Thanks for the step-by-step fix. Went out and got a soldering iron kit...started taking the LCD apart. Boy is the board tiny. Do you know where I can find a blow-up of the board online? Once I get the screen fixed...maybe then I can figure out why it is telling me a cartridge needs replaced when it isn't empty. Thanks for all. Janine

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by john phllips (12/29/11 4:40 PM) reply + / -
Hi Janine, Don't post your private e-mail here on this forum....but if you send a private e-mail to me at :
johphillips06@aol.com
I'll post you an e-mail with a couple of photos as attachments.

John

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by jegohio (edited 12/30/11 2:09 PM) reply + / -
JOhn P....Couldn't get your email address to accept mail....but found the F1 and tried my 1st time at soldering. Went from the printer not turning on at all...to everything working. I now have a working LCD. Yipee! Thanks again...Janine

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by disccoup (1/4/12 5:26 PM) reply + / -
So, I have unfortunately joined this club. Usually don't use my printer very often since it was purchased, I think, about 2007 or earlier??? Can't really remember. I suppose I got luckier than most on the longevity because I hadn't used it much and most often turned the thing off after each session of use.

However, in the past 2-3 days, had left it on to keep from depleting the ink cartridges too quickly (since they expel ink every time you turn it on), then discovered this AM that the LCD was dark/off/not functioning.

John, please help - tried to email you privately, but was unsuccessful.
Thanks,
hoping to be one of the "lucky ones"

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd........... (REPOST) by jegohio (1/5/12 9:44 AM) reply + / -

Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by jegohio (1/5/12 12:53 PM) reply + / -
to give John P credit for the above...I just reposted it. Thanks again...John P

Re: Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd........... (REPOST) by RodgerF (9/5/12 8:44 AM) reply + / -
Fantastic result, followed your instructions to the letter and even made up the micro solderer in the way you suggested. Epson wanted £90 to look at the printer but advised that with parts it would be uneconomic. Shame that so many people would have trashed a perfectly good printer because of this fault. Symptomatic of the throw away society based on funds and a real shame. Thanks again for your help and the clarity of your instruction. RodgerF

Re: Re: Epson rx600 blank lcd by Rannellis99 (10/17/12 3:51 PM) reply + / -
THANK YOU, JOHN! It took me a few months to get up the nerve to try the fix. I've never soldered anything before. Biggest mistake I made was buying a regular size soldering gun--a micro-size would be so-o-o-o much better. Didn't realize the fuse we are soldering is smaller than a pinhead!!! But, after several tries, I gotter' done and the LCD works like new!!!

I LOVE having my Epson printer back!!!!

Total cost: $19 for soldering gun and solder plus a couple of burnt fingers. Cheap repair!!! Well worth the price!!!

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters