fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

hp 6110 scanner failure

Post a new message thread

hp 6110 scanner failure by melissa (9/8/04 8:35 PM) +4 + / -
I bought this printer about a year ago, first it stopped printing from the computer and now when I am going to turn it on the scanner makes a grinding noise and then it displays a message that says " scanner failure" turn machine off and on again. I do it but it does not work, now I don't know what to do and it is barely out of warranty, anybody knows what I can do to fix it?

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Bert (9/8/04 9:09 PM) +1 + / -
Remove the scanner glass and clean the rod that the scanner travels on with alcohol. Lubricate it with a few drops of Tri-Flow, available in small squeeze bottles at cycle shops.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (10/17/04 10:16 PM) +1 + / -
I just had the same problem, also my unit was refurbished. I didnt want to go through the hassle of tech support and sending in my unit, so I decided to take a shot at fixing it myself. I unplugged the unit, removed the 3 screws above the glass, and the one screw on the right of the glass. Popped off the silver display (the plastic part that tells which each button is.) Revealed under is the button control panel. There is a locking button on the right side of the button control panel, I pushed it up and moved the whole panel over to the left. Lift that piece up and you are left with (2) tabs (one on each side) that hold the scanner onto the unit, I placed a flat screw driver under them and popped up the scanner. The top of the unit should be loose, I kept all the cables plugged in and carefully turned over the top of the unit.

My problem seemed to be a dirty glass, it was foggy and dirty so I used eyeglass cleaner and a soft shirt. Reversed the steps and my unit is working like new! Saved me tons of time with tech support, shipping the unit and the time without it

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by anonymous (2/14/05 2:04 PM) + / -
I tried lubricating the rod too (I just used WD-40 though - sprayed it on a cloth and wiped the rod) - It worked! Just be careful when popping that control panel though - take out the data ribbon (carefully) if you don't have a good place to put the panel near the scanner

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Jessicka (5/28/05 11:42 AM) + / -
I was having grinding and failure with my 6110 scanner during final exams and I couldn't print. I was so upset. Finally, I came across this site and it saved my life. I couldn't get the thing open, read about the torx screws, bought the equip. and was on my way. All that was needed (so far) was a good cleaning. Thank you!
Jessicka

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by suras (6/11/05 1:06 PM) +1 + / -
Happy to report a successful fix using the advice in the above posts. Some additional tips for the next reader:

1. The button control panel locking "button" is not so much a button as it is a "latch" - located just to the right of center at the bottom of the panel.

2. Make sure all ribbons and cables are properly seated and out of the way of moving parts before resetting the top.

3. The source of the problem seemed to be the cleanliness of the underside of the glass closest to the scanner motor - ours was extremely clouded for some reason. I read in another thread (on the HP G85) that the scanner carriage can't tell that it's "home" unless it can clearly read the white line on the underside of the scanner table.

4. I also cleaned and lubricated the rod, belt, gears, and carriage - which I'm sure didn't hurt but not sure helped.

5. Took me 3 or 4 tries before carriage finally found "home" and unit worked.

Hope this helps someone else. Thanks to the post-ers above.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Stephen (6/11/05 4:10 PM) + / -
WD-40 has ruined many printers, it melts some plastics, PLEASE us a lubricant that is "plastic safe".

Thank you,
Stephen

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by suras (6/11/05 6:11 PM) + / -
I would second what Stephen said. My "repair" involved only LIGHT lubrication of the stainless steel rod (with Tri-Flow), and nothing on the plastic parts.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Stephen (6/11/05 6:16 PM) + / -
The carriage rods and scanner rails in HP printers are made of metal, but the bushings on many HP scanner assemblies and also on the carriages are plastic, so whatever lubricant you use on the metal rod gets in the plastic bushings.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Rik (6/13/05 1:41 PM) + / -
What an excellent site !

Having gone through an hour long "Real Time Chat" with HP, who after telling me to repower it god knows how many times, eventually gave up and said, hardware issue take it to a sevice centre, I came across this site as a last resort.

After reading the posts, I thought why not, nothing else to lose its going in the bin anyway, and wow what a difference

Glasses cleaner on both sides of the scanner glass, WD40 on the slide rods, (scanner & cartridge), clean water on a soft cloth on the encoder strip, and it is like a new machine

Thanks everyone

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by ajzahn (6/18/05 5:03 AM) + / -
I just got offline with HP live chat, and they tell me there is no way to clean the underside of the scanner glass myself. The scanner is two years old, and looks cloudy. It's affecting the print quality. This printer has the auto document feeder, so I'm afraid to try to fix it myself. What size torx does it take? HELP!

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (6/18/05 6:52 AM) + / -
Miine had the ADF as well, but if you follow the instructions in this thread, you should be okay

The hardest part was releasing the tabs at the front of the plastic that holds the scanner glass.

Don't forget that you will only see these once you have taken the labels and control panel off.

You don't need to unplug any wires, just use the slack in the wires to manoevre the bits so that you can get to the underside of the glass.

Best of Luck

Rik

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (6/18/05 12:19 PM) + / -
This post makes me happy and my all-in-one works again.
Thanks a million times.

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (8/17/05 7:55 PM) +1 + / -
I have done everything included in this thread and cleaned everything, oiled whatever needed to be oiled but still get the "scanner failure switch off/on" message. When the unit is powered, the scanner moves ahead about an inch and then slowly slides back under the blanket but the motor doesn't stop, hence the message. Please help! Can't see anything broken/blown.

Re: Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (8/17/05 8:36 PM) + / -
In our case the problem was the cleanliness of the underside of the glass closest to the scanner carriage's "home" position. It took us two or three times before we got it to work - the glass has to be REALLY clean with no streaks, oil, cloudy residue, etc.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by leanbean (8/21/05 2:47 PM) + / -
this problem was causing some major stress in my life, THANKS!

Its all fixed now after a cleaning of the glass. :)

-l

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Taklamakan (8/23/05 2:08 AM) + / -
thanks a lot for these useful instructions, cleaned the scanner glass and hp6110 came back to life.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Ather (9/20/05 11:04 PM) + / -
I tried also some times to clean up the glass (3-4times), but still same problem. I was cleaning the glass by alcohol. But I would like to clarify, is it realy important to clean and spread the scanner rod?
May be it was already not clever to clean up mirror at scanner unit?
Please give me some feedback...

thanks
Ather

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (9/21/05 7:05 AM) + / -
I'm not sure that cleaning the rod is critical. The glass seems to be the primary issue. Not sure if cleaning the mirror causes more problems than it fixes. Make sure everything is streak free.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Ather (9/21/05 11:58 PM) + / -
Hi,
I hope I found the issue, it was may be the glass but as I cleaned up the glass and I also moved the scanner unit. After this scanner unit does not find "home"
I found in one different forum how to calibrate scanner unit after moving this.
This guy explained to mark position of home.
I did like this, moved up scanner glass part for 1zoll, to get fingers between for moving scanner unit. Than I moved scanner unit "bottom mirror" at position under "home white stripe".
After power is tuned on scanner was able to calibrate.
May be some one need also a reset like push 6 + # and then power cord in.
For me this steps are sufficient.
Thanks for all comments at this tread, you are really helpfully.

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (10/9/05 4:06 PM) + / -
I was having all the same problems with my all-in-one. Tried absolutely everything. A friend went on this site and saw the "push 6 + # and then power cord in" above. I've tried that but not sure I'm doing it in the proper order. Can you clarify this for me.

Do I:

(1) Press '6' then '#' holding at the same time, then release?
(2) Press '6' then "+' then '#' holding together, then release?
(3) Follow (1) above, but continue to hold

Can you see where I'm going with this? :) Would appreciate a little clarification.
Thanks!
Cheryl

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (11/8/05 5:04 AM) + / -
hello i got a similar problem.

My scanner doesent want to stop at his end position. I removed to mirrors to clean it an replaced them. Was a big mistake. its easier to remove the power supply for the scanner light and clean it. Because i am nosy, i removed the scanner optic board. Wich was also a mistake. I got it back on the right position and need now to calibrate brobably the scanner unit. The thing above doesent work

1. 6+#
2. 6 (and) #

By the way a whole "reset" code is: Press "Enter" ( grey button under the display) and "Stop" ( red button), both at the same time.

plug it off, and keep pressing the buttons. Than you have to plug the cable in again. The printer starts to initalize. Now a text comes up. It says: Button stuck etc... than you release the buttons and turn on by pressing "On/Off Button"

thats it. But it doesent help with the scanner Problem.

The next thing is, u cant even use the printer. In germany you can change the printer under following adress. www.hp.com/de/diagnose for 173€ if its out of the garantie

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by ather (11/8/05 11:00 AM) + / -
Hi,
if I remember correctly it was, hold button 6 and # and then put power cable in.
For calibrating, scanner unit should be placed near 2 to 3 mm over glass shape.

|--------------|
|-------------I|
|-------------I|
|-------------I|
|-------------I|
|--------------|

I-scanner unit |- glass shape

If you open "all in one" to put some paper on glass,
you see just 2 till 3mm from scanner unit. This position is exact mirror under white stripe (home).
I hope it will work.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by kuyp (11/10/05 1:42 PM) + / -
Thanks for the great tip Ather. 2-3 mm of the scanning unit showing was just the right position.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (11/11/05 12:38 AM) + / -
@ Ather

thank a lot for the quick response.

What paper do i use for calibration ? anything special?

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by ather (11/11/05 1:34 PM) + / -
@somebody !

no special paper, the meaning was just a sheet to put
on scanner glas. To explain point of view.
I like to help, because I found help after reading
many of forums.

Regards
Ather

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (11/11/05 1:50 PM) + / -
It´s really kind of u

regards
MARKUS ( Somebody )Germany

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by ather (11/16/05 1:04 PM) + / -
Hi Markus,
me also from GERMANY, NRW

regards
Ather

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (11/16/05 10:45 PM) + / -
@Ather

Also gut dann kann ich ja in deutsch schreiben. Ich habe das problem mit meinem 6110 noch nicht gelöst. Der Scanner spielt immer noch verrückt. Möglicherweise habe ich einen Spiegel verkehrt herum eingesetzt. Wenn ich eine Scheckkarte in den Scanner halte stoppt er, sonst nicht. Der Scanner findet seinen Endpunkt nicht. Habe den Drucker mehrfach resettet. Das mit der 6 und # geht bei mir garnicht. HP will 179€ für ein Tauschgerät, weil ich ausserhalb der Garantie liege.

Markus Germany Do NRW

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Ather (11/17/05 2:28 PM) + / -
Hi,
ja so ist es viel einfacher,
Hast Du die Scaneinheit gereinigt? Jetzt müsste man noch sicher sein das die Scaneinheit richtig zusammengebaut ist? Sonst habe ich an meinem eigentlich nicht mehr machen müssen ausser:
1. Glas bzw. weiisen Streifen reinigen (ich habe festgestellt das es am besten mit etwas seifenwasser ist) , 2. Habe ich die Einheit wie schon mal oben beschrieben positioniert(wenn Du von oben auf das Glas siehst müssen ca. 3mm vom schwarzen Kunststoff des Scanners zu sehen sein).
Grüsse
Ather Köle NRW

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (11/18/05 12:29 AM) + / -
Hallo Ather, ja so ist es viel besser.

Den zweiten Punkt verstehe ich nicht.

2. Habe ich die Einheit wie schon mal oben beschrieben positioniert(wenn Du von oben auf das Glas siehst müssen ca. 3mm vom schwarzen Kunststoff des Scanners zu sehen sein).

Ich habe den Spiegel unterhalb der Lampe abgenommen. Gereinigt mit Glasreiniger und einem Microfasertuch. Danach habe ich ihn weider eingesetzt. War etwas kompliziert. Die Spangen sind etwas Trickreich einzusetzen. Ich habe dummerweise auch die Platine mit dem Sensor abgebaut. Allerding denke ich, das ich es wieder in die richtige Position gebracht habe.

Der Scanner reagiert nach wie vor nicht anders als vorher. Beim Start des 6110 fährt der scanner etwas vor und geht dann Schrittweise wieder zurück. Genau dann wenn er anhalten sollte, springt das (Gottseidank) lockere Zahnrad über. Die Zähne, der Zahnräder, sind aber noch Ganz. Ich habe keine idee mehr wie ich das Gerät zum laufen bringe. Vielleicht ist noch eine kalte Lötstelle auf der Rückseite des Druckers, wo das Scanner Flachband eingesteckt wird.

Wenn Du eine Idee hast, wäre ich Dir sehr dankbar

Markus

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Ather (11/20/05 1:43 PM) + / -
Hi Markus,
mit dem Punkt 2.)
Wollte ich beschreiben wie die Position des Scanners sein sollte.
Wenn der Drucker wieder zusammen gebaut ist, komplett.
Du öffnest den Deckel zum scannen. Da liegt die Glasscheibe auf dei das Original hin gelegt wird.
Wenn Du vor dem Drucker stehst ist die Scannereinheit im rechten Bereich vom Glass.
Das Kunststoffgehäuse des Scanners sollte ca. 3mm zu sehen sein, dann steht die Scannereinheit in der richtigen position, es ist die gleiche stelle wo der Spiegel des Scanners direkt unter dem weissen Streifen
dem so genantem 0-Punkt steht.

Hoffe habe es diesmal etwas besser erklärt
Gruss
Ather

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Markus (11/22/05 9:38 AM) + / -
Hallo Ather, ja das habe ich verstanden, nur mein scanner bleibt dort nicht stehen. Wenn ich einfach auf 6 und # drücke, passiert nix. Habe verschiedene Variationen ausprobiert. Drucker einschalten, und vorher die tasten gedrückt halten usw.

Gruss Markus

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Ather (11/23/05 10:40 AM) + / -
Hallo Markus,
Du musst die Scannereinheit entweder per Hand hin fahren oder wenn Du den Drucker einschaltest bewegt sich die Einheit erst raus (links) und dann mit schrittempo in die Nullstellung, da musst Du im richtigen Moment die Stromversorgung unterbrechen.

Hoffe es klappt
Ather

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (12/8/05 2:40 AM) + / -
I owe someone a lot of thanks, because after having every trouble all the others reported, just taking it apart and cleaning it did the job!
I will also give the instructions in Dutch, for people with difficulties reading English or German. Thanx again!!

Scanner Failure oplossing; HP6110 foutmelding scanner; ratelend geluid bij aansluiten HP 6110 officejet all in one

Sluit de stroom af en draai de 3 schroeven boven de glasplaat én de schroef rechts van de glasplaat los. Neem het zilverkleurige afdekplaatje dat om de knoppen zit eraf.
Schuif het blootliggende paneel dat je nu ziet naar links (til de blokkade op die net rechts van het midden, onderaan zit). Het paneel zit nu los. Neem het naar boven af. Voorzichtig, want er zit een datakabel aan. Ik kon het paneel precies kwijt op de papierlade.
Til de deksel op en leg hem omgekeerd neer; ik heb 'm dwars op de bovenkant gelegd van het apparaat. Maak met spiritus of een ander middel dat geschikt is de glasplaat schoon aan de binnenkant. Ik heb ook het spiegelende stukje metaal gereinigd en de witte stroken die je kan zien. Daarna heb ik met naaimachine olie de metalen voerstang heel licht ingesmeerd.

Zet nu het apparaat weer in elkaar en verbaas je over de uitermate goede werking. Het is werkelijk een genot!

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Makrus (12/8/05 3:00 AM) + / -
Hallo Ather Hello anyone else

bisher hat es nicht geklappt mit dem Scanner. ich vermute ich mache das total falsch.

It didnt work at mine

Markus

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Mike in LA (12/16/05 7:15 PM) + / -
I did it all............removed and cleaned the glass, lubricated the rod with WD40..........not sure which did the trick but it's working great. Thanks for the help

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (12/21/05 2:02 PM) + / -
Please help... I have tried everything listed above, & still having problems. Anyone know what else to do??? Thanks in advance.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by arrgh ... (12/21/05 11:57 PM) + / -
Well, I thought when I found this thread my All-in-One paper-weight would be fixed ..................... not.
I did all the cleaning with the proper stuff(5 times, it's a really clean piece of $#!^ now) and it still makes that intermittent grinding noise after/during 'warm up/initiallizing' only now with press enter to 'align printer cartridges' that will not go away either. Press enter and it says 'Busy' for a while, then it lets you repeat that cycle until it says 'printing in progress' ........ then after a little while more you have to 'power on/off' ... blah, blah, blah ....

I tried a "reset" using the Enter and Cancel(red) button then plug in power ... to no avail, same results.

So ... I guess if I don't get any other ideas in the next couple of days, I'll have the priviledge of throwing it off of my roof. Can I post pictures on this thread?

Anyway, in about a week does anyone need some slightly used parts for a HP 6110xi - no guarantees of course, they will have been gravity checked.

Thanks for your time,

j

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Ather (12/22/05 11:49 AM) + / -
Hi j,
I am not expert, but did you also tried to clean um mirror in scanner unit?

Regards
Ather

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by whirlybird (12/23/05 1:29 AM) + / -
I currently have one of these machines apart cleaning it and came across something I haven't seen before. On the bottom scanner mirrors there is a blue line that runs down both mirrors in the middle--not lengthwise, but dividing the mirrors in two. Is this supposed to be there? I have cleaned many scanners and have never seen these before.

Thanks--This is one awesome site.

Whirlybird

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by whirlybird (12/23/05 1:39 AM) + / -
Mine acted the same-don't know why this worked but it did. After I cleaned the whole unit and put it back together it started with your symptoms. I took it back apart and noticed the clear wheel on the gear to the left of the printer was dirty again. Some grease had gotten in the little eye that read the wheel marks. Cleaned it all again-just used distilled water. I put the wheel with the 12oclock tick straight up. I then pushed in the white clutch just inside and to the right of the clear wheel. Holding the clutch I pushed the gears forward until the clear wheel made 2 complete turns(I had read this resets other printers like the 2210). Put it all back together & it powered up and initialized just fine.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by www.BuyItAllOnline.c (12/27/05 12:09 AM) + / -
Thanks so much for this thread. Haven't tried it yet, but getting ready to. Any idea what Torx screw driver I need? What T number?

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by whirlybird (12/27/05 12:30 AM) + / -
A number 10 torx is needed.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (12/27/05 12:23 PM) + / -
Ook mijn dank naar u toe voor de vertaling! Niet dat ik geen engels kan verstaan of lezen maar de instructies waren perfect en mijn probleem is eveneens opgelost.
Nogmaals hartelijk dank!

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by BuyItAllOnline.com (12/27/05 5:37 PM) + / -
Is a torx bit the same as a star bit?

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by whirlybird (12/27/05 5:57 PM) + / -
Yeah it is a star bit.

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by BuyItAllOnline.com (12/27/05 6:35 PM) + / -
Thanks, Whirlybird!

I bought a cheap generic star bit from Wal-Mart - what a mistake - really proves you get what you pay for. I almost stripped the Torx(tm) screw. I went to local auto parts place and picked up a real Torx(tm) bit made by Great Neck - what a difference - it came right out - even the almost stripped one! The T10 worked perfectly.

Thanks again!

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by whirlybird (12/27/05 7:03 PM) + / -
No problem. Let me know if you need any more help and I'll try to assist you.

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by BuyItAllOnline.com (12/27/05 8:20 PM) +1 + / -
Ather,

You are a genious! I tried the partial reset (pressing 3 and # while plugging in, then turning unit ON) - no luck. Next, I tried full reset (pressing ENTER and CANCEL while plugging in, then turning unit ON) - no luck. Next, I tried the cleaning thing several times - no luck - but boy is my glass clean!

I was about to give up, then I tried what you said - it worked the first time! Here is what worked for me:

1) Carefully open the top as described above, making sure to use a high-quality Torx(tm) #T10 bit for the screws, like one made by Great Neck (I nearly stripped a screw with a cheap generic "star" bit).

2) With the front of the unit facing you, gently lift the top straight up first, then allow the plastic teeth in the back to rest on the back edge while tilting the top backward. While tilting the top up from front to back but still in alignment with its correct position from left to right, gently move the scanner carriage so that the mirror slot on the carriage is directly under the white stripe on the scanner glass.

3) Close it up, snap the tabs, place the control panel, plug it in, turn it on and presto!

It worked like a charm for me!

Thanks!

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Ather (1/12/06 12:38 PM) + / -
Hi BuyItAllOnline.com!
I'm lucky to help, that means my work was not for gratis, I read a many tread before I found all information. But I am wondering some times if you switch your all-in-one off, and unit is not placed correctly it can happens again. Trubble come back. Now if it happens again I just let the unit run from left to right. And if unit is in correct position I just pull up power cable. Then it is not needed to open scanner again.
Excellent to help any one!

Regards!

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by BuyItAllOnline.com (1/14/06 12:54 AM) + / -
Thanks again, Ather

It did happen once again, but I just turned it off, then back on - thank God - it worked. However, I still get frequent error messages to align cartridges - I do it, then it comes back soon thereafter. Also, since I did the fix, I get tiny, horizontal gaps, spaced about 1/4 inch apart, where no ink is transferred to the paper, expecially visible on graphics/photos.

Any ideas? Perhaps there is another thread that addresses this?

Thanks

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by whirlybird (1/14/06 12:04 PM) + / -
Whatever my blue lines were-I took them off with a Q-tip. Works just fine now so I guess they weren't supposed to be there.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Curt Smock (edited 1/25/06 7:14 AM) + / -
Whirlybird -

How did you get the scanner carriage aprt to get at the mirrors to clean them? I was able to tear the machine apart to clean the glass no problem with the above information, but did not see how to get at the scanner mirrors....?

Thanks for all the above posts! This forum is truly a work of art!

Curt

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (1/25/06 8:37 AM) +1 + / -
Hey Curt

I didn't take the scanner mirrors out. I cleaned them in place which really takes some time and patience. I used a q-tip to get at the inside mirror and some really soft patches of material my wife had. I paid special attention to the edges and made sure the mirrors were free of any blemishes. Like I said it took some time but in the end the machine is better than new!!!!

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by whirlybird (1/25/06 8:40 AM) + / -
Not sure why it listed my post as anonymous!!!!

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Lexmark (1/25/06 4:41 PM) +1 + / -
I am now a believer in getting help outside of HP technical support. I have a HP 6110xi all-in-one and have expierenced the same symptoms as everyone else. When I power up the copier, I would hear that awful grinding noise from the scanner trying to home itself. Then I would get the Scanner Failure error, like other I was not able to use the printer, fax or copier functions in addition to not being able to scan. I call HP Tech support and was offered the 15% deal on a upgrade. I followed the instruction in this post and cleaned the glass, lubricated the metal rod, close up the copier and powered up the unit and it came up successfully and printed what was in memory from January 4, 2006.

A BIG thank you to all that contibuted to the various posts.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Rick from CA (1/25/06 8:15 PM) + / -
Thank you. A great site. My printer is working again!!!

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by BuyItAllOnline.com (1/26/06 12:26 AM) + / -
FYI - the un-inked scan lines on my printout (mentioned in my prior post) was due to a bad cartridge - totally unrelated to this thread.

I am so glad to have this site - especially since HP does not help us with this recurring scanner homing issue. It makes me really wonder what else they are not telling us - maybe they just worry we are not smart enough to do this correctly - but I believe we have proven them wrong! Kudos to all of you on this site!

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by BuyItAllOnline.com (2/14/06 5:15 PM) + / -
test

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Markus (2/14/06 11:23 PM) + / -
Hallo, mein Drucker geht noch immer nicht. Ist es vielleicht möglich, das mein Scanner total defekt ist? Beim Einschalten fährt er nach links und stoppt rechts nicht. Es sei denn ich schiebe eine Visitenkarte in die Mitte der Spiegel.

My printer does still not work. I cleaned it and tried all the adviced fixing things. The scanner unit drives to the left at the start and than it wont stop on the right side.

Is it possible that my Scanner unit is broken?

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Manolis (2/18/06 3:52 PM) + / -
I have the same problem with the scanner of my 6110.
After the tech-support advice to rebuild the unit with
about 180 euros I deside to do something of my own.
I open the unit, and I tryed to find the switch that stops
the unit when trying to find "home position".I had no idea
of how the unit finds "home" and I dad not idea of that site.
Anyway' I unscrew the back of the optics.I think I made the
best mistake.I don't know if i put it buck in to the exact
position it was before unscrew it.
After several fail attempts I deside to look on internet and
found this site. If I did that in first place maybe nowI had no problem with my 6110.
Can anyone have a suggestion about my problem ?

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by James You (2/21/06 9:32 PM) + / -
My HP all-in-one 6110 gave me the
'scanner failure, turn power off then turn on'
message with the gee-gee-gee-gee ...scanning noise.
I could not do any other activities with the HP machine.

I did the google search and found this forum
and got some ideas and try the following actions
(1) power off and on again --> problem still exit

(2) Clean the glass
power off and on again --> problem still exit

(3) Unplug the power
Press two buttons ("6" and "#") at the same time
plug in the power again

waiting for HP machine to be initialized.

release that two buttons

-------> problem solved
I could fax / print / scan the document again ...

Hopefully my experience could any HP customer to solve the
similar problem.

Cheers

James You

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by BuyItAllOnline.com (2/22/06 3:58 PM) +1 + / -
I suggest you keep trying the following (it took several attempts for most of us who solved this problem):

I tried the partial reset (pressing 3 and # while plugging in, then turning unit ON) - no luck. Next, I tried full reset (pressing ENTER and CANCEL while plugging in, then turning unit ON) - no luck. Next, I tried the cleaning thing several times - no luck - but boy is my glass clean!

Here is what worked for me:

1) Carefully open the top as described above, making sure to use a high-quality Torx(tm) #T10 bit for the screws, like one made by Great Neck (I nearly stripped a screw with a cheap generic "star" bit).

2) With the front of the unit facing you, gently lift the top straight up first, then allow the plastic teeth in the back to rest on the back edge while tilting the top backward. While tilting the top up from front to back but still in alignment with its correct position from left to right, gently move the scanner carriage so that the mirror slot on the carriage is directly under the white stripe on the scanner glass.

3) Close it up, snap the tabs, place the control panel, plug it in, turn it on and presto!

It worked like a charm for me!

Good luck!

Re: Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (3/16/06 12:34 PM) + / -
Misschien een domme vraag maar waar krijg ik die schroeven mee los. Ik heb speciaal een nieuw setje imbussleuteltjes gekocht om het kreng mee open te krijgen. Ik krijg alleen de schroef rechts van de glasplaat los. De andere schroeven lijken een andere maat te hebben die niet in mijn setje sleutels zit. Moet ik een speciaal HP-sleuteltje hebben? En hoe kom ik er aan? Alvast bedankt.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by hpwizard (3/16/06 2:58 PM) + / -
I don't know what language you are writing in but being South african I can pick up the just of it. You are looking for the correct screwdriver or something?
Dazz UK

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (3/17/06 5:29 PM) + / -
Thanks for your reply Dazz.
Yes, that's what I was looking for. But the answer was already posted, I found out after I asked my question. So it's a torx T10?
b.t.w. the language was dutch.
Grz. Mark

Perfect solution ! by coolmitch (4/2/06 10:48 AM) + / -
The solution worked perfectly on my HP Officejet 6110 !!!
Many thanks !

Mitch

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (4/15/06 5:48 PM) + / -
my printer is making a grinding noise after it gets turned on, then it says scanner failed. Does anybody know how to fix this???? please help!

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (4/28/06 5:08 AM) + / -
I'm just another anonymous person that this forum saved. I'm a Computer Support technician for my county's school board; and was trying to fix same problem.

Did a search and cleaned the glass as you all suggested. Still didn't work, looked at the scanner and it had a broken tab at other end of the glass (holding glass at an angle instead of square). I used superglue to reattach glass, cleaned everything again. Did the 6 and # reset (then plug in). Now everything is back to normal

Thanks all, especially the first to find this fix and report it.

Steve L.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Revital (5/19/06 1:11 AM) + / -
WOW !
Afrter cleaning the glass from the inside and using the #+6 and then pluging it worked!
thank you all for the instuctions It saved me money and distress:)

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (6/3/06 10:30 AM) + / -
Hi,

I tried everything but still haven't managed to repair my hp 6110. I tried cleaning the mirrors, cleaning the glass, but still the griding noise is there with the scanning error problem.
Now the problem is this:
The motor of the lamp carriage doesn't stop. I noticed that the lens image cannot be seen through the slit. Is there any way of readjusting or set the mirros in the correct position?

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Bokke (6/16/06 6:39 PM) + / -
I have just spent a few hours on this, the grinding noise irritates me now so much, that I am ready to throw the whole 6610 thing out of the window. Tried everything, cleaning the glassplate, lubricating the moving parts, restarting 3 and #, 6 and #, Enter and Cancel, tried aligning the white stripe with the scanner carriage. Right now it is telling me that I have to release the button in 25 different languages, I think the machine just died .........
The most mind boggling for me is
a) that HP's own website refers to this thread, they should be ashamed
b) that it is apparently not possible to disable just the scanner, the fact is that I do not need the scanner, just the printer would be fine, but also on this HP is giving evasive answers.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by hpsux (6/25/06 4:09 PM) + / -
tied cleaning the glass and mirrors with q tip on mirror till no streaks

lube rod

then alignment with scanner carriage

then all the resets
enter cancel gives full reset.#3 gives partial on my machine #6 nothing

what i can do is put a flashlight on the hinge side of scanner slot during slow intitialization to the right. the carrage stops the light dims then flashes and stays that way

i guessed that that is were the sensor reads for the white stripe (or home position)
extra cleaning resets etc no good
checked for broken or loose mirror mounts...don't see any

what does the light do when it is working properly? does it flash for a while ?

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by hpsux (6/25/06 6:29 PM) + / -
kept trying combinations including remove and clean cartridges, finally got the sytem to find home, my confidence is not high without having a clear solution
i guess the moral of the story is to read what others have done and keep f#@$$% with it then try different combos etc
it seems like a common problem, no wonder hp tech 'smith' would not answer my direct question if this was a common or a recall problem

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (7/7/06 9:14 AM) + / -
Tausend Dank! Thanks a million!

Hatte schon zichmal ein Reset versucht, und so n Teil aufzumachen, zu reinigen und wieder zusammenzubauen würde ich mir überhaupt nicht zutrauen. ABER das mit rechtzeitig den Stecker ziehen, d.h. "scanner unit should be placed near 2 to 3 mm over glass" und DANN 6 und # drücken usw. hat funktioniert!

Worked for me! Pull the plug just before the scanner unit disappears out of sight (on right) and then the familiar 6 and # routine ...

And to think the HP "support" man told me to drop the OfficeJet on the floor from a height of 10cm in order to unblock the scanner! Yes - really ...

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by jackandcarlac (7/8/06 5:00 PM) + / -
I had to clean the glass a few times and the scanner mirrors, also cleaned and oiled the rod with beard trimmer oil. Worked great. Thanx

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Warfen (7/14/06 6:25 PM) + / -
Awsome 20 mins with hp tech support and they called it a scanner a failure and they were so kind and quick to offer me a new one for $200 or a refurbished one for $150( + cost of sending my old one back ).

Those guys probably take them in clean them and sell them back to chumps like me.

Well whatever i read this thought ok so what do i have to loose. Opened it up cleaned it a few times i really had to clena most of the flat surfaces and bingo printer works. For the price of a #T10 torx ( actually i bought a nice little set of them )

Thanks all

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (7/17/06 11:45 PM) + / -
Thanks 2 all, my printer is back to life again !!!

MIKE.

Re: Re: Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (7/27/06 6:35 AM) + / -
Cleaning the underside of the scanner glass 3 times solved the problem !thanks for the tip

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (7/30/06 11:35 PM) + / -
dear ajzahn

torx 10 can be used to deassamble oj 6110 printer
regads nav

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (8/3/06 5:38 PM) + / -
I'm not so sure it had anything to do with cleaning the glass. The glass was pretty clean already. But I DO feel that it had everything to do with the calibration of the scanning block with the white mark on the underside of the glass. I am of the opinion that if that scanner block does not calibrate just right with that white mark on the underside of the glass, that it will not operate properly. And more than that, the entire machine is rendered useless. Way to go HP for not allowing an option to disable a certain function so you can at least still print or fax. So NOT worth the money.
Now my last job hooked us up with the 7000 all in one series that has the wireless ability and network jack, now that thing was awesome and seemed to be solid as a rock. Never had any trouble with it.
My 6110xi on the other hand, no cat 5, had to get a print server, and if it prints or faxes, I consider myself lucky.
If you have the cash, get the 7000 series with the wireless, pricey but worth it.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Naveen (8/5/06 9:59 AM) + / -
Hello

My HP Office Jet 6110xi All In One Printer is abt 2 to 3 years old and has been working perfectly. However, I tried today to scan a document. the lamp moves all the way across the screen and back to its home position, but when I preview the image on ym monitor, it has only scanned about one inch of the page !

Someone Help me pls !

Naveen

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Nelson_M (8/5/06 11:50 PM) + / -
I just want to thank you for posting this solution. Saved me money, distress, headaches and my sanity. I was going over the deep end trying to figure out why the machine started having this problem. Tried the fix on this site. and eureka, got my machine back like new. Again I just want to say thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (8/15/06 12:41 PM) + / -
I read this thread and did this procedure to my d145 AIO. In the end, it worked out great. Thanks to those that have contributed. I wanted to add this little tidbit.

I took the top off to access my scanner. I cleaned the top and bottom of the glass. I tested it without putting the "top" back on. This, as I came to find out, won't work. There is a white strip on the under side of the glass. This is what is used to calibrate the scanner.

It took me an hour to figure this out. It's may be obvious to others, but I thought I would pass it along.

Stacy

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by itslike123 (8/21/06 10:05 PM) + / -
Bingo cleaning the glass with #+6 fixed the problem Thank you Guysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by abruchha (8/22/06 12:47 PM) + / -
I had the same problem with the grinding noise and the scanner failure message. Used chat with tech support at HP because I could not speak to a live person since out of warranty. I was told to try the #6 while plugging in. I kept getting message that a button was stuck and to release. When released the message stayed and unit still did not work. HP offered a 1 year warranty at $55.00 (which I almost accepted) or a new printer at a discount if I sent in the old. This wasn't really a discount since they discounted from their list price. I read the messages on this site. I used a silicone lubricant which is safe for plastic and rubber and applied a small amount on the bar with a qtip. Also cleaned glass. Thanks to all of your help my unit is now functioning. One additional tip. I couldn't get #6 or cancel/enter to work while plugging in. I did the #3, got the button stuck message, and when I released the button the partial reset started. Then I tried the #6 and it worked. I received the button stuck message and when I released the button the full reset started.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by smileycpl (9/6/06 9:56 AM) + / -
Tried everything!
1 Cleaning glass (pretty damn clean now)
2 Cleaning under glass same
3 Reseting using 6 and #
4 Shutting on and off

It prints and doesnt make the grinding noise anymore, but when i try to scan or fax, the scanner will read the document by sliding to the extreme left hand side, but the problem is the sucker will not return back home to finish the scan.

As soon as it is done with the initial scan the lights will start to blink rapidly and on the screen it will freeze up with (original) as the only words.

Help please, this thing is very fustrating

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Huynh Huu Thao (9/11/06 1:49 AM) + / -
Thanks guys, i have fixed my boss 6110 after reading these tips.

suras is right , the problem with scannner caused becausue the scanner carriage could not find its home.

You need to clean the class from both side ( on and underneath the class)

Many Thanks,
Thao

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by farber.co.uk (9/12/06 9:39 AM) + / -
AMAZING, truly amazing.....i have to say that this forum has helped me sort the printer out, it was bieng chucked out buy a company round the corner and now i have a fully working all in one..!!!

Thanks to all the contributors...

jonathan...

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by rolo (9/13/06 9:45 AM) + / -
I have a similiar problem with an hp 7410 but I my case i can make a copy off the glass but when i scan from feeder it makes a loud grinding noise and gives sscanner error.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by plumbeep (9/15/06 7:27 PM) + / -
I also did the following:

1) cleaned glass inside scanner
2) clean then lubed scanner rod with silicone lube (automotive silicone spray on paper towel)
3) lined up mirror with white line

It now works fine, so far.

if you have any questions, lemme know.

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (9/15/06 7:30 PM) + / -
You need to take a paper towel and clean the scanner rod. You then use silicone spray (available at any auto parts store) and spray it on a paper towel and wipe it on the rod.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by blahblahblahblahblah (9/23/06 5:52 AM) + / -
firmware upgrade may fix!
'http://h10025.www1.hp.com

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Oldtech (9/23/06 10:17 PM) + / -
My problem was with an HP 2175 - scanner failed to find home position and gave a machine gun sound against the stop. At first I could turn it off for about ten minutes and it would then wotk. This solution finally wouldn't work. I tried taking the scanner apart and cleaned everything (or so I thought) - no luck. Finally I took it apart and examined it very closly. If the scanner mechanism is turned over there is a structure that has three optical ports, top and sides, with about 1/16" openings that sits over a cone shaped depression which may be the homing signal. Using a cuetip and Windex (I smoke and Windex will cut the tar) I cleaned these windows. It now works like new. Note: A thin blade about 3" long needs to be inserted at the front of the 2175 keyboard panel to keep from breaking the locking tabs like I did. It's in line with the Black button and a butter knife seems to work. I also did this to a 6110, today, that has the same scanner and I am waiting for my friend to let me know if it worked.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (10/7/06 1:56 PM) + / -
I have the same problem, but dow do I open up the scanner part? I unscrewed the four screws and I can lift the back part but the front part doesn't want to come out.....why?

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (10/11/06 8:43 PM) + / -
You guys are all the best!!! I am happy to have a functioning HP 6110 again, and I didnt have to kick it out my window. :) My business depends on it and I am glad you all have found the problems. It was just cleaning the glass and greasing the rod.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by marustkl (10/25/06 11:09 AM) + / -
Thanks for the assist everyone!!!!
After two glass cleanings and several
tries at scanner head alignment - IT WORKS.
(At least it prints and copies - haven't
tried scan and fax yet).

And to think its former owner had already
discarded it; plus HP wanted to replace it
(for >$200).

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by thane (11/10/06 7:35 AM) + / -
I believe the "scanner failure" error has more to do with the positioning of the scanner engine relative to the white line than cleaning the glass (perhaps mutilple times). I noted that on the under side of my keyboard bezel (silver cover plate) I have a peg removed (labeled h2). It's right between the fax speed dial buttons. My all-in-one is a 6110xi supposedly for the US market. Does anyone with the same model have this peg (h2)removed?

There are four of these pegs h1-h4 and they depress non-accessable keys on the keyboard substrate. I am sure they are programmable toggles of some sort.

My concern is that perhaps I broke the h2 peg rather than it being a factory setting. Especially since I have had the unit apart several times. I'm looking for verification that on a US model 6110xi this is normal -or not.

Thanks ahead of time.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (11/11/06 2:49 PM) +2 + / -
Thanx to everyone who has posted hints. For me, I had to go through the entire cleanup process before it worked, so I can comment and provide hints on top of some of the previous postings. This set of instructions takes you all the way down to cleaning the mirrors on the scanner assembly. You may not need to go so far. Unfortunately, I did, but I feel much enriched by the process 8-P. I'll try to break it down into incremental steps you might try without going as far as I did.

As a preface, I think cleaning everything is a good idea. My theory is that as the scanner assembly steps toward home position, it looks for a signal that starts at white, then goes low (a black portion) followed by another peak white, which must pass a certain threshold in order to qualify as "home". If any of the elements in the optical path are dirty, the light is scattered, reducing the difference between the white and black signal, and the threshold is never passed.

In these instructions, I'll refer to left and right, front and back, top and bottom as if you are facing the unit for normal operation. In particular, when I talk about the scanner assembly (which flips up), I will continue to use this nomenclature.

===> Cleaning the window :

- Pull off the control panel. Pry up the front of the facade of the panel, then pull out gently. FYI, two tabs (unnotched) are located at the third preset phone number an "S" in "Scan". Near the pink "Cancel" button, you'll see a cutout that looks like a duck head, with a notch in it. You'll want to push this towards the back, and slide the panel to the left (to clear the notch). Pull up the panel gently (it's attached via a long flex cable). You'll want this out so you can get to the two lock tabs at the far left and right of the panel recess. I just turn the panel over face down and rest it on the lip of the recess.

- Take off the top of the unit (I'll call this the top assembly). Unscrew the four torx screws that hold down the top of the unit. Three are along the back of the unit, and one is on the right side of the unit. Don't bother with the one on the left side. Lift the back of the top assembly, while prying the two front lock tabs (exposed earlier) toward the front. You should now be able to lift out the top assembly. BTW, this is attached via a wire harness.

- Flip the top assembly over, and you'll see the glass window is held in by two tabs on the right. Push these to the right, and the glass pane should come out. Clean this well. Note that the infamous white strip is pasted onto this glass. Do not try to peel this off, or you're asking for a world of frustration. After cleaning, put the glass pane back in place.

===> Cleaning the scanner assembly

- Gently drag the scanner assembly to the left of the unit. The front of the assembly can be lifted, but the back is attached to the tabbed belt, and rests on the travel rod. You can lift the left of the travel rod out of it's resting place, and tilt up the scanner assembly (swiveling around the back). Gently grab the belt and slip it up and out of the clip in the back of the scanner assembly. You should now be able to flip the scanner assembly over (note: it is attached via flex cable). Since the travel rod is now exposed, this would be a good time to clean and lubricate it.

- On the bottom of the scanner assembly, there sits a small circuit board with a single torx screw holding it in place, that would sit towards the front of the unit during normal operation. Unscrew the board to expose a lock tab. There is a companion lock tab on the other end. Pop these and you should now be able to remove the top of the scanner assembly.

- There are five things you'll want to clean here (four mirrors and a lens). Three mirrors sit on the left of the assembly - two full length mirrors and a shorter one. The fourth mirror sits on the far right of the assembly. Note that all four mirrors are part of the optical path, so you'll want to clean all of them. The lens is the round element in the middle of the assembly. Clean everything as best you can. I recommend checking the mirrors by shining lights at glancing angles to ensure there are no streaks and no dust. I just kept swabbing the lens until my Qtips were clean, and then did it one more time for good measure.

- Put everything back together - Abridged version: snap the top back onto the scanner assembly, screw the circuit board back on, place the belt back into the clip, rest the scanner assembly back onto the rod, reposition the rod back in place, snap and screw the top assembly back on, slide the control panel back into place, and replace the front facade. Note that when you snap in the top assembly, be sure to route the wire harness into the recessed channel in the back of the unit.

For me, everything was dirty, particularly the lens. The design is a bit of a disaster waiting to happen, as the heat from the scan lamp (remember, it's always on) likely diffuses some of the plastic which subsequently ends up on the optics. By the way, in my opinion, the purple or red set of lines people have reported previously are simply to mark the outside of the mirrors for assembly. They don't appear in the optical path, but then again, there's no harm in taking them off either.

Sorry for the long posting, but I'm hoping this will save others from the afternoon of frustration I endured.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by ronswann (11/15/06 3:24 PM) + / -
I just finished running through the living room humming the chariots of fire song, to my teenagers total disapproval, but the printer works and I want to say a big thanks to all who posted cleaning instructions. The most recent post of instructions by anonymous are particularly good.

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Law (11/17/06 7:27 AM) + / -
I found this great site for all my HP products problems. What HP could do to help customers is " send it for an exchange unit for $$$ " which is almost the cost of the whole new product ! If HP service personnel could just do a litter favor over the phone on many simple cost saving issue, that would improve lots on customer relationship and reduce cost of ownership for royal clients. I am sure HP does not need to hide from telling those simple steps just to improve on earnings ! Sound very unethical indeed ! HP seriously need to revamp on CRM. (save those CRM investment instead) Maybe pass down the cost saved to subsidizes client's repair cost!

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Law (11/17/06 7:32 AM) + / -
I found this great site for all my HP products problems. What HP could do to help customers is " send it for an exchange unit for $$$ " which is almost the cost of the whole new product ! If HP service personnel could just do a litter favor over the phone on many simple cost saving issue, that would improve lots on customer relationship and reduce cost of ownership for royal clients. I am sure HP does not need to hide from telling those simple steps just to improve on earnings ! Sound very unethical indeed ! HP seriously need to revamp on CRM. (save those CRM investment instead) Maybe pass down the cost saved to subsidizes client's repair cost!

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (11/24/06 7:28 AM) + / -
WOW!! I had a the same problem. Local repair shop said $75. I followed the steps above and had it done in 15 minutes.

Some notes:

1) Ensure you have something to hold the screws in, they are small.

2) The screws require a Torx #10 bit.

3) Lifting the panel (with the botton names) - lift from the bottom just under the lines that have "Fax" and "Copy" - just look and you'll see what I mean. Once the tabs release just pull it forward (Away from the unit).

4) The lock for the button panel is a small "J Hook" about 2" in from the right on bottom of the pad with the buttons.

5) When releasing the two tabs holding the scanner top in place, the tab on the right comes straight out (didn't need a screw driver) the one on the left has a small slit to the left of the tab. I places a butter knief in that slot and twisted up slightly releasing the tab.

AWESOME!! Done!

Thanks so much!

Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (11/26/06 11:58 PM) + / -
my 6110 scanner keeps trying to reset itself... it rolls out and then bumps itself all the way back, once it backs all the way up, it just keeps trying to bump itself back like it doesnt know where it is. ive tryed everything in this thread and to no availe. i cleaned and lubed the rod, cleaned and wiped the glass, ribbons and mirrors and still no worky worky
PLEASE HELP! this is a military printer and needs to be back online as soon as possible, the warranty is expired and we cant get replacement parts for it.
thanks

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (12/3/06 11:21 PM) + / -
Did you clean the lens? It's the round cylindrical thing that sits in the scanner assembly when you have it disassembled. Take a Q-tip and swab around with eyeglass cleaner mucho times, until the swab comes out clean, then once more for good measure.

Re: Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (12/6/06 11:08 PM) + / -
no i havent tryed that, well see how it works. thank you so much

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (12/31/06 8:27 PM) + / -
THANKS FOR YOUR GUIDE TO CLEANING SCANNER.
DO YOU NEED TO DO ANYTHING FOR HOMING OR ZEROING SCANNER
HELP AND WOULD I HAVE TO RESET. I NEED MORE SPECIFIC HELP IN THIS AREA.

Re: Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Anonymous (1/7/07 9:53 AM) +1 + / -
torx screws,wtf? I couldn't find a hardware store with the right side so I took the one siz3e they had and used a metal file to taper the tip. It worked fine.

Once open all I did was clean the glass and my printer is working again!

Re: Re: hp 6110 scanner failure by Bobitybob (1/22/07 7:06 PM) +5 + / -
Many thanks to you and others 'Anonymous'. At the end of your post you apologised for its lenght. Fankly I am grateful for its detailed an concise length because I find that many of the instructive posts leave out important details and one can easily make mistakes that are irreversible.

The things you speak of in your post worked perfectly for me. Prior to that I tried the power off/on method, the #+6 partial reset, the power cable pull when the scanner light switches, cleaning of glass, white strip, shiny metal, scanner rod, encoding strip etc and nothing worked.

I read your post, cleaned the mirrors and lens, aligned the scanner unit with the white strip, switched it on and it works!

As I am totally skint at the moment it is a Godsend, so many thanks again.

BE AWARE EVERYONE THAT I BELIEVE IT IS AN OPTICAL CLEANING AND SCANNER UNIT ALIGNMENT ISSUE ENTIRELY.

I am going to post a link to this on the HP forum site.

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters