fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP PSC 950 Says "Warming Up"

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP PSC 950 Says "Warming Up" by Wes Inskeep (9/1/03 5:09 PM) reply + / -
I just found another topic on this, but it had not gotten any responses.

My PSC 950 says "Warming Up" 90% of the time when you try to scan, copy or fax with it. It stays on "Warming up" screen indefinitely, and eventually causes me to shut off, re-start and get rid of what I was trying to do.

Any help would be great. I tried going to HP.com and downloading patches, or updated software, as well as look at their tech tips, but all it mentions is to restart (which doesn't help). My software is up to date. I am running a P4 2400+ Athalon with XP Pro

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Bert (9/2/03 10:57 AM) reply + / -
I have limited experience with your particular model but from general experience I would speculate that you have a defective scanner. There is a replacement part available (P/N C7296-60002) but don't check the price unless you want to risk going into shock.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Laurence Rubin (9/30/03 6:36 PM) reply + / -
I get the same message when I want to print,scan, copy or fax

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Harry (10/16/03 6:15 AM) reply + / -
get the same error. scanner is cannot find home position. When trying a copy, -- warming up.
Looks to me as a general problem after 2 years !
HP told me to do general reset, but didn't work.
(reset is pressing # and 6 during power-on)

Problem is not software, device is disconnected from PC.

More ideas for this problem ?

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Bert (10/16/03 9:47 AM) reply + / -
It's either the scanner or the main electronics board, both of which are expensive. See my 9/02/2003 post in this thread. Since you have nothing to lose, you can take the case off and unplug and replug the connectors going between the scanner and electronics boaard.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Harry (10/17/03 4:23 AM) reply + / -
hi Bert,
tried to replug the components. It works for some minutes, so it looks to be a temperature error either in scanner or mainboard.
Asked HP for repair costs -- it's very high.
Now I look at ebay. Maybe I find a cheap device with a different error for component swapping.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Richard (10/21/03 2:16 PM) reply + / -
pressing #6 worke until the next time I tried to scan It is a temporary solution.
Richard

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Linda (11/10/03 10:36 PM) reply + / -
Had same problem. Room was cool when we turned it off and when we turned it back on we got the warming message. Finally out of desperation we heated the room to 78 degrees. When we turned it back on message is off and did not return.
Can it be that simple?? It worked for us. I hope this helps someone else.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Harry (11/14/03 8:36 AM) reply + / -
bought a defect device where the fax was in error.
swapped the scanner, now my original device is OK at all functions.
sold the defect device again. overall repair cost was 1 $ now.
solution took some time, but was cheap.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Harry (11/14/03 8:36 AM) reply + / -
bought a defect device where the fax was in error.
swapped the scanner, now my original device is OK at all functions.
sold the defect device again. overall repair cost was 1 $ now.
solution took some time, but was cheap.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by JCA (11/19/03 12:33 PM) reply + / -
I had same problem; I still working around to find the defect part.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Linda (11/19/03 8:50 PM) reply + / -
I was wondering if you tried warming up the room?
I know it sounds crazy but on the wed site under "scanner system failure" number three says:
"Cold ambient room temperatures may also cause this error. Move the all-in-one to a warmer room and see if the error reoccurs." I did and have not had a problem now for over a month. No part to buy!!!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Harry (11/23/03 7:02 AM) reply + / -
Hi Linda,
the problem started in Summer. I had more than 90° in my room.
And - after swapping the scanner module, the error was gone.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Ronald (11/25/03 7:54 AM) reply + / -
I've been having the same problem. Scanner function (scanning, copying, faxing) fails.

I thought that it was related to using the printer function of the machine. I noticed that after I unplug the unit (for at least 5 mins) and power up again usually it will work. However, once I print something, after that the scanner will fail again....

does anyone else notice that the problem occurs after printing?

I use Mac OS X (problem is not related to version). Thanks!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Candi (12/4/03 11:40 AM) reply + / -
"warming up " messsage, can't scan or fax.

anybody know why? is it the bulb?

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Chuck (12/7/03 8:45 AM) reply + / -
What is the cost of a scanner module and where can I get one?

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by darkocean (6/25/05 7:19 AM) reply + / -
I had the same problem with an HP LJ3300. I was able to fix definitively the problem disassembling the printer and cleaning the mirror near the scan... it works also for the PSC950.

good luck ;) andrea

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (7/28/05 8:07 PM) reply + / -
Bert, My psc950 continually has scanner failure and I would like to clean the lens and mirror. Do you know of a web site that will give me direction? Thanks

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Cprossu (7/30/05 7:52 AM) reply + / -
this can usually be fixed by cleaning the underside of the scanner glass...
If I recall there is a decent step by step tutorial on this site about that somewhere-
I am too tired to go searching for it, but if you find it, follow it, don't mess with the moving scanner assembly and just clean the underside of the glass

it is VERY IMPORTANT that you do not break the glass, as those are a pain to replace.

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (8/3/05 12:21 PM) reply + / -
just wanted to say, oddly enough - #6 worked! I didn't want to go through the expense of a fix so I decided to try your idea (after turning on and off both the computer and the printer several times with no success) and your solution worked - THANKS!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by SintelSystems (8/21/05 10:05 PM) reply + / -
If anyone needs a step-by-step guide, I made one recently after my OfficeJet R60 had the same problem.
Scanner system failure.
I noticed Cprossu had mentioned a tutorial, and if I'm not mistaking, it should be the same exact one I used.
I looked up the PSC 950 and it has some similarities to the R60 so I am hoping this works. Let me know, as I am trying to build a list of compatible models.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/31076
http://www.sintelsystems.com/R60.html

M. Saeedi
Sr. Technical Manager
Sintel Systems

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by shifty (5/18/06 3:55 PM) reply + / -
the other day my stress got the better of me, i was printing a map of a destination i was going to the next day, and the printer/scanner was doing as the 1st post says (warming up etc... and kept scanning, my prints where failing after 1st page was printed...) i was p*ssed off and hit the top, and heard the worst (glass shattered) eeek! and im 17 a student and my dad hasn't fount out just yet, is there anyway of me gettin the glass renewed?? or anything which can save my life lol...

either email me at alexscott1000@gmail.com

or msn me at alexscott1000@msn.com

anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

- thankz.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (7/14/06 9:16 PM) reply + / -

#6 worked for me.

I live in a very hot climate so the room gets quite hot when I'm not home with the A/C on.
One day the power went out and my PSC 950 reset.
That's when Scanner Failure appeared.

I'm guessing a diagnostic that is affected by temperature is done when the system starts, and if a failure occurs it remembers that. A normal reset didn't do the trick. #6 nailed it.

Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by tomahawk (8/4/06 4:04 PM) reply+1 + / -
If you are having a warming up problem with your HP PSC 950 (waiting to COPY) and are totally frustrated that none of the other easy fixes (resets, #3 and #6) has worked, try this:

1. Turn off the power, unplug

2. Remove the control panel on the right side by prying off the control box cover with a small flat screw driver, then do the same with the control box underneath.

3. Take off the copy cover, followed by the two small screws at the back/top of the glass cover/scanner unit. These screws are tricky to remove and in the end you might break the plastic in desperation in prying up the cover! Don't worry, your unit is useless anyway and a couple of missing screws is worth the sacrifice of fixing the copy function. Disconnect the connector multicable, noting how it came out.

4. Pry up the grey cover on the copy/scan unit to expose the bulb housing. Don't touch the bulb, but open the cover of the black plastic housing to the right side of the bulb. This can be a bit tricky too, but will come with a bit of encouragement.

5. With a soft, clean cloth give the mirror a wipe to remove any dirt/dust.

6. LEAVE THE BLACK COVER OFF

7. Reassemble the unit, making sure that the multicable is properly seated.

8. Plug in, turn on and the copy function should work.

Good luck. Takes 10 minutes and a good chance of getting all your prinetr functins working again.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (9/13/06 7:18 PM) reply + / -

tomahawk's fix worked for me.

I had success with #6 before, but after 3 months she blew out again.
Don't know how long I'm good for now, but she's OK at the moment.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Ralph L. (9/17/06 4:12 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem with an HP PSC 750, and now with the PSC 950. Tomahawk's fix worked on the 750, but still had the problem with the 950. What got it running after the fix was to run a BLANK copy(Nothing on the glass!).This allowed it to calibrate to the white level and then it worked fine! It's been copying fine since. Good Luck!

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Anonymous (12/11/06 7:39 PM) reply + / -
worked great. thanks tomahawk

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by xiongnu (12/23/06 7:45 PM) reply + / -
tomahawk's fix works great!

after desperately looking for a fix, finally stumbled upon this article, thanks a lot tomahawk!

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Anonymous (1/4/07 8:01 AM) reply + / -
At point of junking HP PSC 950 due to "warm up" message when trying to copy. But the tomahawk fix worked for me !! Many thanks for the detailed post.
NB
Investing a couple of $ in a Torx TX10 screwdriver made removing the cover screws a piece of cake.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Brandon (1/10/07 10:23 AM) reply + / -
I was having the same problem, I saw it was snowing out so I threw it from my 2nd story window into the snow as a potential fix. Upon retrieving it, I noticed the glass was broken along with a few other things and it still worked the same as it did prior to flight. HP stands for Horrible Printer and I recommend it to nobody.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (1/12/07 4:02 PM) reply + / -
Same problem for my hp psc 950. Tried tomahawk fix, #3, #6, and left arrow + cancel, nothing happened. Still "warming up" and "scanner failure". I think Brandon might have the best solution... only it's not snowing here - landing might not be so soft.

I was in a retail store yesterday and explained to the store person my delimma. Asked him if he would recommend a Cannon or a Brother. He replied that he would recommend an HP. Maybe he didn't understand the question? I left.

Dan

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (1/17/07 12:35 PM) reply + / -
tomahawks solution works great, thanks so much!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (1/18/07 2:02 PM) reply + / -
You know, if you ask HP tech help for a fix they suggest you spend $150 with them on a new scanner unit. Epson are not much different. Samsung is a better way to go - cheap but great performing lasers.

Good to see you guys having some success on the PSC 950.

Tomahawk

Re: HP PSC 950--FIXED MINE!!!s by Mikey1969 (2/24/07 3:14 AM) reply + / -
Had the stupid 'Scanner Failure' message, but the people I got it from said that it had worked fine until the last few weeks. Light was still coming on, and the scanner is right above my heater vent, so I know that the thing most likely had an ambient temp above regular room temp.

Then I started looking at the device, and noticed that the 1/2" on the beginning end(Exactly where the light illuminates) of the white panel on the scanner lid was FAR more yellowed than the rest of the backing plate, I set in a piece of thick cardstock paper...

Presto!! Everything went away!!

It seems like I basically had to 'White Balance' the scanner. I haven't had any new faults yet after a week, and have had a few successful scans...

Also, don't write HP off... I think it was just a fluke that I tried THIS fix, and it DEFINITELY isn't something I would have expected from someone who hasn't worked in the industrial printing and scanning business as an end user.

Re: Re: HP PSC 950--FIXED MINE!!!s by Anonymous (2/26/07 9:20 AM) reply + / -
But, Mikey, don't tell me that HP don't already know tomahawk's (and your) fixes - they should do, even, by reading these threads! All they want to do is sell you a new scanner unit for over $150 a pop, or even better sell you a new, top of the line unit.

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Anonymous (2/27/07 12:36 PM) reply + / -
thanks tomohawk, i did what you said,and it is now working o.k., but for how long ??? Fingers crossed.
i.e.the small screws at the back cover,are torque screw heads o.k.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Chatte (2/27/07 4:50 PM) reply + / -
Thanks tomahawk!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Mikey1969 (2/27/07 5:46 PM) reply + / -
HP didn't say anything to me, the printer is out of warranty, so I tried the 'fix it yourself' method. I DO have to say that after I submitted my fix, they sent me an email thanking me for my assistance, and saying that they would incorporate it into their tech support... We'll see what happens.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by jb-- (2/28/07 6:45 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Mikey1969 - the post on 2/24/07 resolve my problem with my HP PSC950 (Warming up). Thank You!

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Anonymous (3/7/07 7:05 AM) reply + / -
I'm not sure if you will get this message. I own a PSC 950... and have for over 5 years. It is a gem of a printer for me. However 3 months ago I started having the "Warming Up" problem. Upon finding your suggested fix I gave it a try. It works perfectly now. Thank you for your solution to this "very common" problem.

Mick

No Subject by SJN (3/12/07 4:48 AM) reply + / -
Many thanks to Tomahawk (8/4/06) and the Anonymous poster who clued me in to get a Torx TX10 screwdriver (1/4/07). My copy function has returned.

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by tverden (3/15/07 2:36 PM) reply + / -
that works thnx a lot.....I tried all the others also so this trick does actually work

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Anonymous (3/28/07 11:39 AM) reply + / -
Tomahawk:

Thank You Very MUCH!!! We havent been able to use our unit for almost a year. i'm disabled and outta work and didnt have the $ to fix but your trick worked!

Thanks again

Coaxis

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (3/28/07 1:52 PM) reply + / -
Coaxis,
Glad it worked for you. Good luck, hang in there!

Tomahawk

Re: Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (3/29/07 11:09 AM) reply + / -
You said #6 worked on the psc950 warming up problem, where did you go to get the solution?

Re: Re: Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (3/29/07 7:24 PM) reply + / -
Check HP tech help online manual - it gives basic information on troubleshooting. Resets (#3 partial and #6 full) don't seem to fix the warming up problem, though. Seems as though most around here have cured their problem by following my fix above.

Tomahawk

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (3/30/07 7:52 PM) reply + / -
I got this printer from a friend who had been having problems with it. I had exactly the same problem you described. Thanks to Google for directing me to this thread. Not inclined to take apart my printer, I tried Mikey's fix (placing a blank sheet of paper on the scanner while it starts up) and it FIXED THE PROBLEM!!! Thanks MIkey!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (3/31/07 10:46 AM) reply + / -
well any case some fixes work and some dont. usually cleaning the laser mirrors and the scanner glass will fix most problems unless the laser board is fried. And of course doing a full reset. the 7110 al in one has similar solutions. Hp has alot of manuals some are easy to find some are not.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by suzque (3/31/07 2:18 PM) reply + / -
thanks tomahawk. This problem has frustrated me for the past year. Your fix worked perfectly. I'm curious though. Why is the black cover left off?

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (4/1/07 8:06 AM) reply + / -
im not sure it just seems to have less problems with the cover off

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (4/1/07 5:43 PM) reply + / -
Suzque,
Good to see your 950 is back up and running
Believe it's a reflectivity issue. Regardless HP will never advise you to do such a fix.

Tomahawk

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Anonymous (4/2/07 7:06 PM) reply + / -
THANKS FOR THE GUIDEANCE. SO FAR SO GOOD. SOMETHING TO PASS ON-----THE T-10 STAR KEY(@HOME DEPOT-SIMILAR TO A ALLEN WRENCH) WORKS ON THE SCREWS.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by happy HP (4/12/07 2:00 PM) reply + / -
Great solution, Tomahawk, this problem has plagued me for years, and now its GONE!!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by djrobx (4/28/07 9:02 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Tomahawk for the clear instructions. Cleaning while leaving the black cover off did indeed fix the prepetual "Warming Up" for me. I found a small jeweler's flatblade screwdriver fit the screw well enough, but I had to clamp a vice grip to it to get enough leverage to move the screw.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by yicedawn (5/14/07 1:42 AM) reply + / -
The printer says it's printing and goes through the motions, but when the paper comes out ... it's blank! The ink seems to be getting out, but where in the world is it going? I reached my hand down and to the right and there seemed to be a well of either oil or ink ... to tell the truth it was ink and it was thick. Can I clean this? Could this be the problem? Let me know so I shall know how to act.

Thanks,

Dawn

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (5/30/07 11:38 AM) reply + / -
Not really related to this thread, but nevermind.

I guess we've all tried to clean (and re-fill)print catridges before now. Best way I've found to unblock heads is to push a syringe through the vent hole (or holes for the color catridge)and apply some air pressure - ink will then flow out of the print head. Dab head with a damp cloth to remove the excess ink. Alternative is to re-fill or replace.

Either way you need to clean up the excess gunk (ink) in your printer. Plastic gloves recommended.

Tomahawk

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Navin (7/2/07 9:54 AM) reply + / -
Mikey's fix..."white balance with paper" and the #6 reset did it for me.

Navin

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Bokene (7/7/07 12:40 PM) reply + / -
I used my Hp 950 well in europe ; but it now giving me trouble in Africa ;it can not scan but can print message warming up
I open it already unplug the cables and pug again worked for a while
any one to help
Thanks
Bokene

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Anonymous (8/5/07 11:03 AM) reply + / -
WOW I didn't think your fix would work, but after trying so many different things I said what the heck, if I break it so what I'm ready to buy a new printer. THANKS!!!!! for the tip it took 10 minutes like you said and has been working great for the past week,

4 X 6 Print Question by gildon (8/8/07 4:30 PM) reply + / -

I have just read thru these threads, and now my PSC950 seems to be working well. I was also getting the Warming Up problem. I have one other slight problem with my PSC950, and it has to do with printing out 4X6 photos - the pictures are slightly slanted on the photo paper. I thought that doing a cartridge alignment might help, but no. Does anyone else have this problem? Any hints on fixing?
Gildon

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Bert (8/8/07 5:59 PM) reply + / -
Remove the rear clean out door and clean the feed rollers with water. This website sells rubber rejuvenator. If you use it allow 2 hours of drying time.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/specials/misc/chemicals/S03

4 X 6 Print Question by gildon (8/11/07 5:53 AM) reply + / -

After removing the rear clean out door and finding the feed rollers, I was a bit hesitant about using water on them. Instead, what I did was I flipped the rubber rollers over. It took a bit to do. You get to point where you think that you can't do it, and there's a chance of putting a rip or a tear on them, but it worked, and it seems to work a little better now - the pictures aren't as slanted as before. I wouldn't recommend doing this if your rollers look really dry - could break.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Bert (8/11/07 2:51 PM) reply + / -
There is no problem at all in using water to clean the feed rollers. HP recommends it.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Lizabeth (9/11/07 4:32 PM) reply-1 + / -
I just got a HP PSC 950 out of a basement of an apartment place I used to live in and I plugged it in and it started right up. Then it said "Press enter to align cartridges" and I pressed enter and it printed a couple lines and then it said the same thing on the screen. I hit enter a few times hoping it just took a few times to align but it still says it. I searched everywhere and can't find a copy of the manual online. Does anyone know what is worng and if it is even fixable or if I have to do something special with it. Thanks for any help :)

Elizabeth

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Bert (9/11/07 7:22 PM) reply + / -
Both cartridges must be working or the alignment will not work. You didn't mention whether or not you replaced the cartridges or are using ones that were already installed. I'm going to assume that you did not.

First, clean the cartridges and carriage electrical contacts with a cotton swab and alcohol. Second, blot the cartridge nozzles on a damp paper towel a few times for two seconds. You should see ink flow of the appropriate color(s) (from the color cartridge yellow, magenta, and cyan).

If after the cleaning and ink flow test, the alignment still fails, you may have a defective spot sensor. It is on the right side of the carriage and emits a blue light during alignment. Sometimes it's rectangular lens gets knocked off by a paper jam. It is fairly easy to replace using a T10 Torx head driver. The HP part number is C6426-60013. You can get them online for under $20.

I have a photo of the spot sensor and the Users Guide if you need them. Email me by clicking on the crossed tools to the right of my name.

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by ts (9/13/07 2:58 PM) reply + / -
wow - simply impressive. It works !!! Big thanks to tomahawk

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (9/20/07 4:47 AM) reply + / -
thankzor tomabird , i allmost broke my bulb but its all working now = )

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (9/24/07 3:40 PM) reply + / -
I have found that if you turn the power of and open the top and look inside where the bulb is, you will notice that the clear plastic piece over the bulb has a yellowish tint to it. I took a clean soft microfiber towel (anything soft that won’t scratch) and put some plain rubbing alcohol on it and rubbed the clear plastic piece for a few minutes. (WARNING: DO NOT USE ANYTHING ABRASIVE AS THIS WILL SCRATCH THE LENS AND MAKE THE PROBLEM MUCH WORSE). If you use a white towel you will see that the yellow tarnish comes off onto the towel. Afterwards, the unit works fine and after a few months or more, you may have to repeat the process. I think it depends on the usage. I have been dealing with this issue since about a year after I bought my HP Officejet K60 in 2003. The lens seems to be the problem. As acrylic ages, it tends to yellow just like the acrylic headlight cover on some vehicles and this seems to prevent the bulb from effectively warming the unit to a temperature necessary to operate. I have never resorted to disassembling the unit to clean the bulb from the inside. This may be necessary for some models though I guess, I don't know. It's 2007 and my printer is about 4 years old and the ole thing is still kickin'. You'd figure that HP could come up with a simple solution to this, like an easily removable and replaceable lens cover or a cleaning kit. I don't guess they want them to last too long though. They'd loose their end of the year profit margin. We wouldn't want that now would we?

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Eotaxin (10/14/07 11:32 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Tomahawk.

My HP PSC950 also had the "Warming up" problem, and the scanner/copier only occasionally worked.

Took it apart, cleaned the mirrors and put it back together with the black cover on. It did not work. Took it apart again, took the black cover out and it works like a charm now.

It´s strange but it seems that the black cover is the problem and not the cleaning?

Maybe the next one to read this thread can just remove the black cover to see if this helps?

Anywayz, great tip Tomahawk.

Cheers

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by rtsra (11/25/07 10:50 AM) reply + / -
Same error message. It worked for me. Mirror was clean but I did wipe it. Ileft the black cover off as well.

Thanks Tomahawk

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (11/26/07 1:40 PM) reply + / -
Cleaning the mirror after removing the cover just makes sense, but the main trick is to LEAVE THE BLACK MIRROR COVER OFF.

Don't let HP try to sell you a new scanner unit.

Great to hear that the fix has worked for so many, but worrying that so many had the problem in the first place.

Tomahawk.

Million thanks to Tomahawk by Pawel CZ (12/3/07 1:33 PM) reply + / -
PSC 950 purchased in 2001. The same trouble. Now, seems to be fixed following the guide by Tomahawk. Invested an equivalent of 1EUR into a Torx TX10 screwdriver. The device appears to be fully operational again (including scanning, copying, faxing). One exception though - I left the black mirror cover in its original place.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (12/28/07 9:03 AM) reply + / -
I just followed Tomahawk's procedure except for cleaning the mirrow (it was not dirty). I just left the cover off. Everything seems to be working great!! Thanks Tomahawk - I can't tell you the number of times I wanted to throw this thing in the dumpster. Jack

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Anonymous (1/3/08 4:35 PM) reply + / -
THANK YOU Tomahawk!

For the past year my HP PSC 950 has had pregressively less functionality until recently it would just not copy, scan or fax, no matter what I did.

I have never taken apart a machine in my life before, but bought the screwdriver and followed your instructions to the letter and did not reinstall the black plastic bit, and now EVERYTHING WORKS - it scans, faxes and copies perfectly like it did when I bought it almost five years ago!

Now, if we could just figure out the solution to color ink costs....

Thanks very much again and Happy New Year!

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 alignment mania by Anonymous (1/3/08 7:32 PM) reply + / -
I called HP about this problem a few years ago after it literally had me in tears. Got a nice tech guy who told me the simple secret and it's worked ever since:

1. Unplug cable from back of machine & let it sit for a couple of minutes (now I don't even bother with this step.)

2. Plug it back in.

3. Remove & replace both cartriges.

4. Press and hold down the ENTER key, then while it's held down, press the little "SETUP" button on the left side of the keypad.

5. Voila - date should appear again instead of maddening alignment business!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by BeeCee (1/15/08 8:08 AM) reply + / -
I just tried the tomahawk trick and it worked!! Thanks for the hints on the screwdriver which made it MUCH easier, although I did find getting the black cover off kind of tricky.

I think the fact that so many people who said they had never done something like this before helped me to decide to go ahead and try and it worked!!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Crade (1/16/08 5:41 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Tomahawk

I dont leave the black cover off and it works fine ;o]

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Logi (2/8/08 12:33 PM) reply + / -
I just did this fix today and it works, ty so much tomahawk.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by rolastro (2/10/08 9:06 PM) reply + / -
Tomahawk - a hundred thanks to you!!!!!!!!

You saved my a-- on a work project that required scanning.

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (2/11/08 7:25 PM) reply + / -
How many more 950s are out there waiting to warm up?
Anyhow good to see eveyone is back up and running. Keep that black cover off....... in fact, dump it.

Tomahawk

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Anonymous (2/19/08 2:46 PM) reply + / -
Hi,

I tried to use Tomhawk's solution for my 950 and now I have a blank glass with no lights or anything on my control pannel... Can someone please tell me what I did.. I was really hoping on this fix to work.. it seems as if it may have made my situation worsen... please let me know, thanks

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Bert (2/19/08 8:08 PM) reply + / -
Make sure the cables going to the control panel and scanner are connected solidly. Flat cables can generally be rotated 180 degrees when plugged in. If they seem to be plugged in solidly make sure that they are not rotated 180.

If you are convinced that the cables you unplugged are replugged correctly, check the cables where they plug into the main electronics board for a good connection by doing the following.

1. Open the printer as if changing the ink cartridges.
2. There are two latches that limit the rotation angle of the scanner. Push them inward and the scanner will rotate to approximately 90 degrees
3. There is a small snap-on cover in center in line with the hinges. Remove it and check the ribbon cables.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (2/22/08 8:54 AM) reply + / -
Bert is right.
Turn off the power and unplug.
The multicable must be properly seated (see my original fix). otherwise the display/control panel won't function.

Tomahawk

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Danielgabe (3/1/08 5:10 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem with both 950s that I own. It is high time that HP fix this systemic problem. I am going to write their technical support people and then their legal department.

Fat chance I will get any results with a large company such as HP but I sure will not buy another product from them if I don't get some sort of satisfaction.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anon1234 (3/4/08 10:35 AM) reply + / -
Nice one Tomahawk, I tried the reset, didn't work, followed your instructions, and Bobs your Uncle, Fannys your Aunt, IT WORKED!!!!!
Cheers mate.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by K_S (3/8/08 2:49 PM) reply + / -
Tomahawk,

Your clear step-by-step instructions were great and now the printer/scanner works - even though it didn't appear there was much dirt/dust cleaned off the mirror. It could be just the black cover removal, who knows, but I'm very pleased.

Removing the screws was a bitch cos although I had a T10 Torx insert, the shaft bore was too wide and I had to scrape away at the 1"-deep plastic well surrounding the screw head in order to gain access. All good though! Thanks for the very helpful post!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by m_chan (3/15/08 5:54 PM) reply + / -
i've had this psc950 for over a year now and just chanced upon it at a garage sale selling for $3. When i tried the scanning i knew then why it was sold for only that much. this printer just gave me a lot of headaches until i saw this thread but i still didn't do tomahawk's suggestion until i tried all the less invasive tips. finally yesterday i've reached my boiling point and opened it up. And it worked!!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH TOMAHAWK! thanks, too to anonymous for the torx t10 screwdriver tip, i must admit this is the first time i've seen this kind of screwdriver and for $4.99 it's worth it!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (3/30/08 5:27 PM) reply + / -
Hey Thanks Tomahawk Just did it today Freakin awsome!

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Anonymous (4/13/08 12:07 PM) reply + / -
Thanks. The printer works.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Jimi01 (4/26/08 3:12 AM) reply + / -
I´ve done what Tomahawk suggested, cleaned the mirror three times, assembled it with the black cover, assembled it without the black cover, it just won´t work...
Does anybody have any more suggestions or has the time come for it to take flying lessons...?

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (4/26/08 7:15 AM) reply + / -
Is the printer showing a constant "warming up" message or are there other symptoms?

Re: Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (4/26/08 11:55 AM) reply + / -
It gives the constant "warming up" message.
And when I start pushing buttons, it flashes the "Scanner error" message and returns to the "warming up" error

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (5/22/08 8:11 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so much tomahawk, fixed a very frustrating problem in >10 mins.

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Anonymous (6/1/08 10:49 AM) reply + / -
This fix worked liked a charm! Thanks so much!

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Anonymous (7/4/08 7:24 AM) reply + / -
It's been almost 2 years after your post and it still works! Thanks Tomahawk

HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fixed by Anonymous (7/23/08 12:50 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Tomahawk. Your suggestion on solving the scanner warming up issue was great ! The mirror was pretty clean in my printer, so I just removed the black cover. It works fine now.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says Warming up by cessna823 (8/22/08 2:33 PM) reply + / -
I have a HP PSC 950 all in one Printer that when you try to scan or Copy a Warming up Message on the screen and the Bulb would slowly walk to the right side under a right side cover and then eventually go out...""here are the steps i used to FIX"
1. Lift cover up and remove, put on Table
2.Remove 2 -Torax screws located top rear of printer one on right the other on left top.
3.Lift rear cover up gently about 1/2"
4.Open Printer like to replace ink, on the sides of top half and center pull out and towards you Go slow and look at right side under key pad there is a Cable Ribbon just pull down out of keypad.
5.Watch as the cover lifts off up in rear and out towards front of printer, slowly turn cover over to drop 2- Torax Screws onto cloth on table or floor. pick up 2 screws and place safe place.
6.look into the printer will see the Black Scanner Module which is Vertical from front to rear on right side of printer and the travel bar with a rubber gear belt running under the Scanner.
7. look at the top of black scanner cover you will see a power/com. ribbion under it and then plus into right side of scanner go ahead and pull cable out from under the cover.
8. Look at Top of Black Scanner cover again and you will see a rectangle hole on the outside and a square hole just on the inside next to rectangle hole, put a flat screw driver into the Rectangle holes and push the plastic release clips towards the right side of printer or move the clips in direction of where the ribbon was under the cover. Rotate Cover up from rear first,Rear being where the rectangle holes are, lift up till it will release in the front bottom plastic hinge fingers. Place cover in safe place..
9. Take the key pad cover off the top cover and then push the top release and slide down the keypad until release from top cover.
10. push the scanner gently to right side until stops and look to see that bar is in its mounts just pop back into if out. now if scanner pops off the bar no big deal just push down until it seats back into mount, also look at rear lower side of scanner where the rubber gear belt is make sure its in the plastic guide that it runs through on the outside of the scanner it should be ok if not just position gear belt back into guide.
NOTE: Clean inside of cover Glass Ect..
LEAVE BLACK SCANNER COVER OFF DO NOT PUT BACK ONTO SCANNER
11.position the top cover back over the printer with the front first and then gently back over to where the torax screws holes are but take the keypad ribbon and slide through slot for keypad and then down secure together with printer.
12. Grab the keypad and push the ribbon back into keypad plug making sure cable is in align with keypad plug.
13. Push Key pad ribbon back into cover while placing keypad into mount grove and slide until locks in place, put keypad cover back on over the keypad.
plug
----------------- To clean Mirror Glass --------------
1. slowly push the scanner to left side of printer the belt and gearing will move just go gently" to expose 2 Torax screws in gear mount. Remove 2-Torax screws.
2. look at the plug on left side of gearmount and unplug by gently pushing down,Then pull out the cable Ribbon out from under Black Scanner cover,now pull out the Ribbon from Scanner Module.
3. Lift the Scanner up and Bar together and place on table..as one ..note the scanner holds bar into side groves and the bar pops out very easy no big deal just push back in also there.
4. Clean glass and then goto step 9.
Note: the Rubber Gear Belt travels into a Guide located on the scanner bracket and to remove just gently push belt out of guide.
the Mirrors are held in with springs and will brake/crack so i use a Qutip and glass clean and paper towels...

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (9/11/08 8:03 AM) reply + / -
Cleaning the glass & mirrors works great.

Some have suggested changing the bulb, remove one phillips head screw...Digikey, part number BS26250-24B, with shipping, total $20.

But First, Select COPY & Peak under cover to see if light bulb under the glass is lit; if so, it will not need to be replaced. Just clean bulb.

I found the bulb to be dirtier than the glass.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (9/11/08 8:09 AM) reply + / -
Cleaning the glass & mirrors works great.

Some have suggested changing the bulb, remove one phillips head screw...Digikey, part number BS26250-24B, with shipping, total $20.

But First, Select COPY & Peak under cover to see if light bulb under the glass is lit; if so, it will not need to be replaced. Just clean bulb.

I found the bulb to be dirtier than the glass.

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Anonymous (9/12/08 6:17 PM) reply + / -
Freaking Genious! It worked....thx a ton!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by charlie48ida (edited 10/21/08 3:03 PM) reply + / -
Hi .

I have the warming up problem too with my hp psc 950.

J'ai un problème de préchauffage avec HP PSC 950. (i put in French for the google research for french (spoken) people).

Reset #3 and #6 >> nothing change
Clean mirror >> nothing change
Put thick paper >> nothing change
Remove black cover >> ITS OKAY NOW !!

Thanks to all !

And hello from Paris (France).

http://charlie48ida.skynetblogs.be

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by cessna823 (10/21/08 7:03 PM) reply + / -
I am so happy everything worked good...take note i have been told if you clean the bulb this would help also ...which i have but with the cover on still experienced malfunction. I guess the right way would be to replace bulb which is my next step if problem occurs again...thanks for reply and GOD BLESS....!!!I have been told the bulb # is BS26250-24B but double check for correct Part# Thanks for the Thanks ..

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (10/22/08 7:24 AM) reply + / -
Good to see the fix continues to work.
Cessna, don't recommend you clean the bulb. It is sensitive and unlikely to benefit from cleaning - giving the mirror a gentle wipe with a soft, lintless cloth (not a paper towell or tissue) can help, but the key to the fix is to LEAVE THE BLACK COVER OFF!

Good luck to all
Still no comment from HP.....

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by cessna823 (10/22/08 10:38 AM) reply + / -
TOMAHAWK. You don't know what you're talking about. I've been fixing so many printers like this and tried to do some stupid advice but none of them is working. but when i TOOK THE BLACK COVER out...IT WORKS!!!! and even some user agreed with me. So if you think it's not gonna work-out, then leave my comment alone because I'm just helping other users, or you can advice them too. Not to correct me.

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (10/22/08 11:16 AM) reply + / -
Suggest you scroll up and check my message of 8/4/06 (2 years ago on this thread) and you will find that I recommended removing the black cover then. Many units fixed thereafter. Your recent message was just a re-hash.

If you have some advice for our fellow HP 750 and 950ers , make it NEW and understandable.

Tomahawk

Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by tomahawk (8/4/06 4:04 PM) reply edit +1 + / -

If you are having a warming up problem with your HP PSC 950 (waiting to COPY) and are totally frustrated that none of the other easy fixes (resets, #3 and #6) has worked, try this:

2. Remove the control panel on the right side by prying off the control box cover with a small flat screw driver, then do the same with the control box underneath.

3. Take off the copy cover, followed by the two small screws at the back/top of the glass cover/scanner unit. These screws are tricky to remove and in the end you might break the plastic in desperation in prying up the cover! Don't worry, your unit is useless anyway and a couple of missing screws is worth the sacrifice of fixing the copy function. Disconnect the connector multicable, noting how it came out.

4. Pry up the grey cover on the copy/scan unit to expose the bulb housing. Don't touch the bulb, but open the cover of the black plastic housing to the right side of the bulb. This can be a bit tricky too, but will come with a bit of encouragement.

Good luck. Takes 10 minutes and a good chance of getting all your prinetr functins working again.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by techguy33 (12/7/08 4:03 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Tomahawk, worked great for me. I also cleaned the bottom of the glass with windex, as it had a gunky film on it. This has to be one of the longest threads I've ever seen. :-)

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by M.Y. (12/17/08 8:47 AM) reply + / -
Absolutely the best ten minutes I have spent fixing something for a long while...... Tried all sorts of othe things and no joy, followed your post and left off black cover and it's now working like new. Thank you Tomahawk, very useful post.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (12/18/08 6:13 AM) reply + / -
Glad it worked techguy and M.Y.

Once again, HP will not help here, only suggest you purchase a new scanner unit for $150 when it's neither necessary or cost effective.

Tomahawk

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by M-Dawg (12/30/08 8:26 PM) reply + / -
Absolutely spot on!!!! Spent hours trying to figure this out...almost at the point of doing the 'Office Space' beat down on it when I came across this thread.

Tomahawk, you were right on 2 points.
1) It took 10 minutes.
2) Works like new

Thanks a bunch!!!

Re: Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (1/13/09 11:50 AM) reply + / -
Tomahawk,

Thanks for the advice, scanner/copier function is working again and my wife thinks I'm a hero.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (1/13/09 2:12 PM) reply + / -
Did I just save a marriage.........?

Tomahawk

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (1/14/09 8:24 AM) reply + / -
I don’t think the printer problem was going to put us in marriage counseling, but I’ve got a reprieve on the “honey do” list and I may get to watch some football this weekend.

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Anonymous (1/31/09 4:07 PM) reply + / -
Tomahawk Rules!. This fix worked. Thanks!

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (2/1/09 8:28 PM) reply + / -
I get no succes by pressing #6 on turning on hp pcs 950.

please reply me how does it work

Re: Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (2/2/09 5:58 PM) reply + / -
The reset#6 does not solve the warming up problem. Scroll up and follow my fix, most folks here have had success.
Good luck,

Tomahawk

Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Armelle (2/12/09 2:55 PM) reply + / -
Incredible ! 10 minutes with the right scewdriver, and I can scan and copy again ! Thanks Tomahawk, you're a genius !

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by goslow2006 (2/12/09 4:02 PM) reply + / -
Tomahawk(8/4/06 4:04 PM) solution worked for me. All other fixes doesn't work or obsolete:
Caution: Skill level 1 thru 10.This fix is for level 5.
I did not have a small torx screw driver so I used a 5/64" allen to take the lid off.
Beware of the light and mirrors(2), Do not pry on these to get the black cover off.

Re: Re: Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (2/17/09 4:49 PM) reply + / -
Tomahawk...you're the best!
For weeks this has been driving me crazy. Googled 950psc and
saw your instructions and it worked like a charm. Maybe all of us should mail our black plastic covers to HP. :)
Thanks!

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Dennis M. (2/26/09 8:42 AM) reply + / -
Many thanks for the cure for the'warming up' problem, I cured my HP in about10 mins.

Thanks again,
Dennis

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by dkennedy (3/19/09 9:10 AM) reply + / -
3 years of this problem (scanner failure, warming up forever), I finally broke down today and disassembled the unit. Followed all the advice, black cover is off, multiple resets, cleaning of mirrors, etc...Actually, planned on buying a new machine... and it looks as though this is still the case. I still have scanner failure...however it still prints. I'll give to HP, I have taken it apart at least 3 times and it still sort of works. Can ask for much more given it is made in Malaysia... Any suggestions? Anybody?

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by dkennedy (3/19/09 9:46 AM) reply + / -
OK, you are never going to believe this. Because I am stubborn and thick, I wanted to try taking it apart ONE more time...Except I dropped it. Yes, onto the floor... Nothing appeared broke, glass intact ect... so I plugged it back in and guess what...For the first time in 3 years, yes, three years the thing did not give me an error message?!!! What?*%^$!!!
Giving all my thanks to Tomahawk, you have really fixed lots of printers out there, Thanks!!!

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (3/19/09 12:16 PM) reply + / -
dkennedy

Glad to see the fix worked, albeit with a help of a little gravity.
By the way if the fix doesn't work then dropping the unit off a 10 storey building may not get it going but will give a great deal of satisfaction. Scroll up, some guy tried it.

tomahawk

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Mr C (5/12/09 3:03 PM) reply + / -
Just wanted to add my thanks to tomahawk, tonight was the printers last chance - if I couldn't fix it tonight, it was going to be recycled.

Thanks to your fix, the printer lives to print and copy another day and I save myself some cash to spend on something much more exciting than a new printer!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (6/9/09 10:23 AM) reply + / -
i tried several resets #3, #6, #9. sometimes it worked for a time. than again: scan error, warm up phase (in German it is "Aufwärmphase" - may this word help other germans find this thread!!), ...

now i was totally frustrated and had the look at google before i wanted to throw it into the trash bin.

to cut a long story short: thank you from germany to tomahawk

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by DJHarty (9/3/09 3:33 AM) reply + / -
Same problems here with the PSC 750. We've got always the scanner error, we have clean all mirrors, remove the black cover and so on, nothing helps. It says "warming up" and stay with the display. The unit moves sometime to his callibration position, but not very often. Mostly it moves a part into the left side.
Can anyone help us?

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Bert (9/3/09 2:53 PM) reply + / -
If you have tried all of the 'tricks' in this thread then changing the scanner head, HP P/N C7296-60002, is your only other option. Doing a Google search will reveal that they cost around $100.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by mossy (12/21/09 4:15 PM) reply + / -
Tomahawk (8/4/06) is a star !!

I even realised that I had a Torx 10 screwdriver in a set somewhere in the cellar!

The #6 trick worked once but then I had to do the 10-minute open heart surgery thing and - yes - another PSC 950 lives another day!!

Many thanks

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by RdN (12/24/09 12:59 AM) reply + / -

Great Tomahawk!

Your solution still helps many after years.

And after reading your thread I was also able to clean the glass at the inside, which has been dirty since the beginning.

Many thanks

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (12/24/09 6:33 AM) reply + / -
Never realised this would become such an enduring post. Good to see it still helping.
Merry Christmas to everyone (except HP)!

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (12/31/09 4:14 AM) reply + / -
Unbelievable! I had this printer for 8 years and scanner stopped functioning 3 yrs after purchase. I kept the printer and only used the printer function. Now seeing your post I opened it up cleaned the mirrors left the black cover out and it works fine.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by fccheung (1/7/10 10:34 AM) reply + / -
A special thanks to Tomahawk and the others, my psc 950 is scanning again after 2-3 years!
Though it took me more than 10 minutes, had to get a TX10 and I followed the instructions of Tomahawk. But it didn't work! AAARRGGHH, so again I opened the THING got a lil cleaning and thought... what if I...???? So I gently pulled the scanner module over to the other end, left it there and closed the THING up again. Plugged the power in and hoped for nothing. The scanner took a while to get back in position but as soon it did... no warning about a defective scanner or warming up... so I tried to scan... and oh my word, there it goes!! Up and away! tried to scan pics.. it DID! I shut it off, waited a while and powered on again, it still scans!!
Now, it took me a longer time because I don't have a man around to do it for me, I didn't had the right tools, and I'm a complete digibeet (cluts to pc's)and as a woman who is unfamiliar to violence or strength I was so afraid to break something, but I did it! So girls, you can do it too!!
Again my thnx, especially to Tomahawk!

Re: Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Cessna823 (1/8/10 8:35 PM) reply + / -
Tomahawk i guess my feather were ruffled the day i wrote you dont know...hahahaha Belive me I am Certain You know more then Me" ....As Time Goes By I Know Nothing About Nothing ".....Thanks for helping so many to fix there electroincs, HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR"

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (2/10/10 5:00 AM) reply + / -
Warming Up this message allways comin tome
ineed yours help

Re: Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (2/17/10 7:36 AM) reply + / -
A BIG THANK YOU to Cessna823 and Tomahawk (credit to both in alphabetical order-no favorites here) for your instructions. Before I tackle something new I want to read ALL the suggested fixes from many sources. And now for the price of a 6-piece set of Torx wrenches from Harbour Freight($8.99) and one broken fingernail, I've just lost my only excuse for buying a new printer. BTW, you won't lose those screws if you just leave them in the cover and secure with pieces of scotch tape.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (4/13/10 4:29 AM) reply + / -
I bought the psc 950 at a car boot sale and had this problem. I'm not technically skilled at all but I followed tomahawks instructions and using a sharp pair of scissors to get those screws out my printer is now working. Im really grateful!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by moe5277 (4/17/10 2:11 PM) reply + / -
Same problem, same fix, same thanks!

(got another problem though, whereby none of the buttons on the face seem to work. For ex., the "save to PC" light ("speichern zum PC" on my German version) is lit by default. When I press the "copy" button to change the function I just get 3 quick beeps. Same thing happens with just about any button I press. I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone has a quick answer, but I realize this problem needs a new thread, so I'll return you all now to your gestures of appreciation for Tomahawk, who certainly deserves it).

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (4/30/10 10:28 AM) reply + / -
Remove the control panel the remove and reattach the cable from it. If that doesn't work, I believe there is a post above that involves a second story window.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Anonymous (4/30/10 10:56 AM) reply + / -
It works. Incredible but true.
Thanks a lot Tomahawk.
Now, I'm in a hurry, but I'll try to translate your fix into Spanish for all who it could help them.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by minack (4/30/10 5:41 PM) reply + / -
FALLO ESCÁNER HP PSC 950.
Traduzco aquí lo mejor posible la solución dada por TOMAHAWK para solucionar este problema. Puede parecer increíble, pero funciona. En otros mensajes quizás se den las razones de por qué.
Atención, seguir las instrucciones al pie de la letra y hacerlo con calma, no importa que en vez de 10 minutos sean 20, porque al final tendréis funcionando vuestra impresora como recién comprada.
Importante, antes de empezar leer todo un par de veces con la impresora delante.
1. Levantar la tapa de la botonera, haciendo palanca suave (no tiene tornillos).
2. Levantar la botonera: primero se desliza hacia atrás y después hacia tu derecha y arriba (no tiene tornillos). Hay que hacerlo despacio, pues tiene por debajo una conexión simple de cable, tipo cinta plástica, que se saca sin problemas suavemente.
3. Desmontar la tapa del escáner: es simplemente levantarla y sacarla (no tiene tornillos).
4. Desmontar la carcasa superior que cubre el escáner: hay que hacer dos cosas, la primera es desatornillar dos tornillos en la parte posterior superior con un destornillador Torx T10 (¡ojo! esto es verdaderamente importante: gástate 2€ en esto o querrás romper la impresora por desesperación). La segunda es presionar hacia afuera las dos fijaciones (no tornillos) en la parte frontal (levanta 45º como para cambiar cartuchos y las verás por debajo) para levantar definitivamente la carcasa. Hazlo con tranquilidad, no te agobies que sale.
5. Ahora tenemos a la vista una 'caja' negra alargada. Su parte superior es una tapa plana negra de forma más o menos trapezoidal. Bajo su arista izquierda tiene dos fijaciones a presión, se levantan con cuidado haciendo palanca, después desliza la tapa hacia tu izquierda y hacia arriba, y ya la habrás sacado.
6. Ahora vemos la lámpara, un tubito blanco muy delgado, no lo toques. Mira por la ranura y verás abajo un espejo alargado: limpialo (cuidado!!!, no vale cualquier cosa, intenta con un paño para cristales, de los que no necesitan más que estar muy ligeramente humedecido y después le pasas alguna parte seca del mismo. Esta es una de las claves del éxito, hazlo bien.
7. Montas todo igual como lo desmontaste, SALVO LA TAPA NEGRA, no vuelvas a colocar la tapa negra.
8. Conectas todo y (antes de atornillar)prueba tu equipo.
9. Por favor, si esta información te ha sido de ayuda responde afirmativamente en el post para ayudar a otras muchas personas con este problema. Gracias.

Tomahawk, thanks again. I hope all above be agree with your fix. In fact, that's what I did.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (7/22/10 6:08 PM) reply + / -
Minack, thanks for translating. That may help some my neighbors here in S. Florida.
Good luck to all.

Tomahawk

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by iPatrick (9/3/10 1:49 PM) reply + / -
Tomahawk, dude
thanks a lot

but when i removed the scanner cover and returned again i faced this error msg ( error c00f0401 ) and the control panel keep flashing !??!

what is the wrong!

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (9/6/10 8:54 AM) reply + / -
iPatrick

Try this:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com

Tomahawk

Re: Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by iPatrick (9/6/10 6:05 PM) reply + / -
i tried all the given solutions but nothing happened the same error the same proplema!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says Error! by Shawn1 (10/8/10 8:00 AM) reply + / -
Having problems with my HP PSC 950 for some time now. When printing documents only partial prints are happening, sometimes blank pages come out sometimes 1 page with a partial print and then get error sometimes 3 pages with partial prtints then an error. After 3/4 times of restarting the document MAY eventually print. Very frustrating taking up alot of time and wasting alot of paper. Someone please help a home user in desperate need!

Shawn

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Shawn1 (10/8/10 8:08 AM) reply + / -
Further to the above the printer works on a computer with windows vista but not on a different computer with windows 7 ultimate x64. The HP website doesnt provide a latest driver to install either...it says windows update will pick up the driver so i assume it has done this?

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by bdockham (12/8/10 3:18 PM) reply + / -
Thank you Tomahawk! Years of frustration and your fix has set me free!!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by miguel33 (3/1/11 2:40 AM) reply + / -
First of all, all together now: TOMAHAWK, TOMAHAWK, TOMAHAWK!

Second - less fun. I now am getting a 1.5" band that is not being copied at the far end of the scanner (the copy function cuts off the bottom of the page (the part of the page further from the bulb)). Could I have knocked the belt out of position during the fix? Something else...

txs..

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by miguel33 (3/1/11 2:51 AM) reply + / -
Got it. In my global resets, I had set the paper from A4 to Letter. All good. So, say it again now:
TOMAHAWK, TOMAHAWK, TOMAHAWK!

They are Torx screws in the back, by the way. Everything is smooth if you don't try and use too much force... easy does it.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by DeggsieM (4/27/11 1:15 PM) reply + / -
Five years on from tomahawk's advice and it still does the trick.

just sorted out my printer using those wise words.

From a humble servant in the UK to the great one known as tomahawk... I wish you many blessings!

:-)

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (4/28/11 9:10 AM) reply + / -
5 years? Sheesh, is it really that long?

Tomahawk

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by raidensnake (5/25/11 4:19 AM) reply + / -
sweet it even fixed mine as well and yes it has been 5 years. BTW I got the printer for just £5 snd the ink lasts ages!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Chatty Kathy (11/10/11 7:29 PM) reply + / -
Tomahawk, you seem to have a pretty good handle on the 950. Mine has been idle for 2 years and when trying to bring it to life, I can't get past "cartridge alignment". I have tried several cartridges (all of which are also 2 yrs. old), and can't get past the "cartridge alignment" barrier. Any ideas???

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (11/11/11 8:42 PM) reply + / -
Kathy
I don't think the printer is at fault on this problem.
I can only suggest you bite the bullet and pay for a new OEM cartridge. Other makers' or refilled (more than once)cartridges seem to have multiple issues.
I hate buying HP cartridges and will normally avoid at all cost, but I think you have to do it.

Good luck
Tomahawk

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Chatty Kathy (11/14/11 8:54 AM) reply + / -
Another satisfied Tomahawk (8-4-06) and Cessna (8-22-08) customer on the 950 "warming up" problem. When my Canon MP530 went belly-up, I dug out the old HP 950 from the basement which was put there for the warming up problem. It (the 950) is again humming along like new. With Tomahawk's diagnosis and Cessna's procedure detail the fix was simple. Thanks again.
Chatty

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Jewill (1/27/12 11:49 AM) reply + / -
Thanks so much for this - I've had the problems for 3 years or so. Was about to make a new purchase,but scanned google for a solution. Saw German video with demo - that helped, but still didnt work. Then saw several threads suggesting the black cover be left off - hey presto - I've saved myself some money. Never posted / responded to anything on the internet before, but had to let all the other HP users know for the record - IT WORKED - YEY! Thanks again Tomahawk and co..
Jewill

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by geoffrey taylor (5/31/12 6:31 AM) reply + / -
according to the error message I have lost hpoip07.exe
How do I rectify the situation ? (hp psc 950)

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Warming Up problem fix by Boneychest (8/20/12 12:57 PM) reply + / -
Thanks tomahawk. I've put up with this problem intermittently for a few years but it had become a permanent pain just recently. It took me a little longer than 10 minutes but it has worked.

Now I'm intrigued.... Can anyone explain why:
A. Cleaning the mirrors makes a difference (mine didn't appear to be very dirty)
B. Why leave the black cover off? Is it to do with heat in the mirror chamber?

question by ewan (11/20/12 1:48 AM) reply + / -
i am hermawan, i have a printer psc 950 , i want to question that, why my printer psc950 always stuck or hang if i have to printing, sorry my english is not well. but thank you very much.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (11/21/12 10:05 AM) reply + / -
Time to repost the instructions I think:

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by graffiticreature (12/18/12 8:16 PM) reply + / -
Another satisfied tomahawk customer. Thank you for helping me save our nearly 10 year old printer! How the heck did you figure out this fix?

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by m.fessler (1/26/13 7:35 AM) reply + / -
Awesome - my good old HP can scan/copy again. :-)
Don't throw it away - fix it.

Thank you so much!

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by LadyDi19 (1/29/13 8:26 AM) reply + / -
@TOMAHAWK. Just plain awesome Dude, you walk on WATER~! :>> My recently widowed aunt had several HP printers laying around from her HP buy happy husband. This is the 2nd printer I have worked on and FIXED! Followed ur instructs to the tee, process of elimination, and WAA-LAA, the 950 functions all work and I am a very HAPPY camper. WhoooHooo! (Especially since my Photosmart died awhile ago and not working means can't buy a printer right now!) You saved me! Please take your BOW, thank ya very much :'))

May the Bird of Happiness continue to sip at your Fountain!
:>>

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by LadyDi19 (1/29/13 8:34 AM) reply + / -
@TOMAHAWK. Just plain awesome Dude, you walk on WATER~! :>> My recently widowed aunt had several HP printers laying around from her HP buy happy husband. This is the 2nd printer I have worked on and FIXED! Followed ur instructs to the tee, process of elimination, and WAA-LAA, the 950 functions all work and I am a very HAPPY camper. WhoooHooo! (Especially since my Photosmart died awhile ago and not working means can't buy a printer right now!) You saved me! Please take your BOW, thank ya very much :'))

May the Bird of Happiness continue to sip at your Fountain!
:>>

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (2/1/13 8:35 PM) reply + / -
Cool. Clearly, still plenty more 950s out there trying to warm up.

Tomahawk

Re: Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Shell65 (edited 9/9/13 7:49 AM) reply + / -
I've followed your instructions but it's still warming up. Any other suggestions. I tried #6 #3 #9.

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by tomahawk (10/28/13 1:58 PM) reply + / -
Shell - I can only recommend you try following my instructions again. Make sure you leave the black bulb housing off - throw it away!. Then reassemble. Good luck

Tomahawk

Re: HP PSC 950 Says by Tadthebass (11/23/13 6:36 PM) reply + / -
Hey all, I had this problem, "Warming up" and pulled the scanner head out. One of the mirrors is broken. Any idea where I can get those?

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters