fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP LaserJet 1200 Series

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Eve (2/2/03 10:49 PM) reply + / -
"Spattering" of toner on printed pages. Printer is just a year old.

Tech support suggested cleaning the media path by running a transparency sheet through to remove dust and toner which I did, and also "re-distributed" the toner in the cartridge with no apparent improvement. Suggestions?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Dewaine (2/3/03 4:52 AM) reply + / -
Eve:

Sounds like your Toner Cartridge is leaking. Remove the cartridge from the printer. Carefully open the shutter and check to see if there is any toner residual on the drum. If you see toner on it, take the cartridge back to where you purchase it from and ask for another one if you have not printed a lot of page. If you can't get a new one, writet to HP and ask for a replacement(Life time warranty against defect on cartridge according to HP with certain restriction like amount of toner left in the cartridge, hence the page count).

Anyway, chances are that you will need a new cartridge.
Regards.
Dewaine

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Eve (2/3/03 9:44 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Dewaine!
I appreciate your help. Unfortunately, I purchased the cartridge last April but I haven't used it much due to the problem (also have an HP injet.)I'll let you know what happens!

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Dewaine (2/3/03 1:05 PM) reply+4 + / -
Eve:

You have a case here. You probably have to write a very nice letter to HP HQ and ask them for a new one because it is on teh HP Web site that they garranty the Cartrdieg will be defect free for it life if you have not tried refill, modified, etc. Go to HP's site and check the warranty on Toner. PRint it out and send a copy it and a print out to them and ask them for a new one. I'd do that for the price of Toner.

Regards.
Dewaine

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Eve (2/3/03 6:06 PM) reply + / -
Great idea! I did email them today, but will follow up with your suggestion. And no, I haven't modified or tried to refill the cartridge. Thanks!

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Hotshot (2/5/03 5:22 AM) reply + / -
Eve I wish you luck on your warranty. Hp a great company which provides us great new toys but their tight with the refunds and exchanges.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Eve (2/5/03 9:12 AM) reply + / -
I spoke with HP yesterday. They informed me that I MUST buy a new cartridge, see if that solves the problem and then return the old one. After they receive it, they will then decide if I am entitled to a refund. They had no suggestion if I find that that does not solve the problem. In thats the case, I'll be out the cost of TWO cartridges!

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by bookie (6/3/03 8:49 AM) reply + / -
I need to be able to use the 1200 series with xp . unable to update driver to accept it. what can be done

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Eve (6/3/03 10:51 AM) reply + / -
I have been using the 1200se with XP for over a year with the original driver. Try installing it with the compatibility wizard, which allows you to install as if it were a previous Windows version. Go to HELP & SUPPORT, find compatibible hardware & software, click on "see also" and click on Wizard. OR right click on program icon and click compatibility tab.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Jeannie (10/22/05 1:50 PM) reply + / -
I just upgraded from Windows ME to XP and now my HP Laserjet 1200 (with parallel port) won't print. I downloaded the latest driver from HP and nothing happened. I checked the compatibility of the driver and reinstalled it and now when I try to print my screen says there is a problem with the printer. Before I wasn't getting any type of message. I can't find the hardward compatibity wizard mentioned by Eve as I can't find the "see also" button. I tried to print from DOS and that doesn't work either. I know it is a communication problem but I need help to figure out what to do next.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by dmzcompute (10/22/05 2:04 PM) reply + / -
Is the same computer with with the os being upgraded or a new computer. If a new computer you need to check out the printer port to make sure it is set for normal. If the same computer make sure the parallel port shows up under devices and is working ok.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Jeannie (10/22/05 6:25 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the reply - I am using the same computer as I did with ME. I checked the parallel port under devices and it says it has the latest drivers and states it is working properly. Any other suggestions?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by dmzcompute (10/22/05 8:49 PM) reply + / -
Only thing I can suggest is to try another cable or disconnect the cable from the computer and disconect from the printer and reinsert. The dos print if done correctly bypasses the os so if that does not work it is not a driver issue, but rather a communication issue with the port, cable or formatter. The correct syntax for the dos print is to change to the windows directory (cd\windows hit enter) and at the prompt type dir >> lpt1 and hit enter.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Jeannie (10/22/05 10:10 PM) reply + / -
Thanks a million! I switched from parallel to a USB cable and it printed!!!

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by gig (10/30/05 12:49 PM) reply + / -
I have a HP laserjet 1220 with very little use. I lost the driver disk and just connected it to an old computer with Windows 98 operating system.

I went to the HP web site to get a driver and there are about 5 listed:
lj1021en lj1022en lj1081en lj1082en and lj1084en. I have no idea which one to use. Anyone have an idea?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by dmzcompute (10/30/05 2:57 PM) reply + / -
I do not know where you were looking on the site. Use the link below to get to the 98 driver page. You can use just about any of the bundles they have. I usually like the one that PCL5 and PCL6 and Postscript.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F2433231C

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by lolly (11/6/05 7:58 AM) reply + / -
Hello,
please i just want to know if you people have fuel roller for the printer HP LASERJET 1200 SERIES in stock
it you have kindly send a sample of it cos we shall need about 300 hundred packs that we want to supply a company here in Nigeria, and we are looking for genuiue products in order to promote our company.

please kindly send the sample to this address
Lolade Ases
sammynight computer
14, bolaji street
off baruwa road beside UAMC church
eleja, Sagamu
Ogun State
Nigria

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (11/7/05 1:20 PM) reply + / -
What kind of stolen credit card were you going to use to pay for the 300 rollers? Did you also want to order 100 toner cartridges as long as you're not paying for it? It's too bad we can't do a satellite view of your location. I'll bet it's an internet cafe. We get orders from Nigeria all the time. They don't care about price and want everything shipped express overnight delivery. Heck, they aren't paying for it, why not? They all get thrown straight into the trash. Your order is an insult to our company and all of America. All Americans aren't stupid and greedy as you might think.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (edited 11/7/05 3:17 PM) reply + / -
Here you go. This order came today from a stupid American who's acting on behalf of a Nigerian. That's the new scam. Meet a stupid American in a chat room, get him to order on your behalf using his credit card. Ship it to Nigeria. Then you pay him with a bad check and he gets screwed.

Dear Sir,

We are interested in purchasing the listed below products and we would like to know if you do have them in stock.

1) HP C6578DN Inkjet cartridges @ 78 units

2) Intel P4 521 LGA775 2.8GHZ 1MB CACHE 800MHZ BOX Processor Part # BX80547PG2800EK @ 21 Units

If anyone wants to see some funny Nigerian scams go to http://419eater.com

Then there was this posting I found on Craigs List

Customer needed!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Reply to: bussclarks@yahoo.com
Date: 2005-11-03, 12:54PM PST

Our sales marketing policy suffered some changed due to the fact that
our company's profit has grown in the past months to 10, 000$ - 20, 000$
USD monthly. Before this, the role of the payment collector agent has
been handled by one of our shipping department co-workers but since the
number of the incoming orders has increased it is almost imposible for
him to do a dual job.
We sell computer parts and printer supplies: we need a
payment collector/sales agent who can receive the incoming funds that
customers pay. Basicly the job is very simple, our co-workers do the
ordering and negotiations job, and if the customer(s) decides to complete
the purchase he will be instructed how to send the payment to our
payment collector/sales agent.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

This is where you come. You must check your e-mail 4 times per day and
you must stay online 1 hour daily on Yahoo Messenger so we can mantain
a prompt comunication online. We'll also comunicate via e-mail.
Each time a customer takes the decision to purchase a service/product
of ours he will be asked to forward the funds to you. Please note that
you have 24 hours to pick-up the funds and then forward them to our
Profit Department as we never ship until the funds have been sent to our
Profit Dep, and since we 100% quarantee to our customers a 24 hrs. max.
shipping you must act prompt.

SHORT JOB DESCRIPTION:

- you act as an online sales agent who doesnt need a physical office.
- you can easily check your e-mail from home/work. The best hours are:
11:00 in the morning, 3:00 and 5:00 in the afternoon and 8:00 in the
evening. Also a recommended hour for you to be online is during the
afternoon, you can pick any hour you like.
- when a customer with which we are negotiating will decide to pay we
will forward him to send the funds to you via Money Order usually. When
he will confirm the payment we will e-mail you/or let you know via
Yahoo Messenger if you will be online, so you'll be able to go and withdraw
the funds asap as we insure a 24 hours delivery to our customers, after
payment has been received, but our policy says very clear that we only
ship after the payment has been picked-up by our sales agent.
- after you will pick up the funds you will take out your comission and
the rest you will forward to our Profit Department, and that would be
it.

WHAT YOU GET FROM THIS:

- you get a 10% comission from each incoming payment. The lowest price
per product/service we have is 1000$ USD, so please see for yourself
that you can earn very good.
- this is a part/time job, you only need to check your e-mail 4 times
daily and be online on Yahoo Messenger 1 hour.

To be able to apply for this job we need from you:

- your resume ( C.V ).
- your home phone numbet, work number and aspecially cell phone number.

If we will find that your past experiences meet our requests we will
reply you to talk about the position and then we will also supply you via
e-mail with the CONTRACT EMPLOYMENT and the NDA ( non-disclosing
information agreement ) docs, which you will need to fill, sign, and get
notarized by at a local notary office.

Please note that the notary must include his signature, bussiness
information and also phone number in case we decide that we need to call to
confirm that he indeed legalized your documents.

GOOD LUCK to everyone !

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Lungu Pavel (11/7/05 2:47 PM) reply + / -
Please show me how to refill a cartridge of HP 1200 series:
Exactally
C7115A

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Javid Slice (11/8/05 8:03 AM) reply + / -
I'm getting bands of gray "fog" and "ghost" lines of text on the printed paper. ???

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by dmzcompute (11/8/05 1:05 PM) reply + / -
Proberly the toner cartridge. Do a half test. Put a sheet of paper on the top of the tray in the manual feed slots. Press the button for a self test. When the paper is almost all the way in, open the toner door to stop the printing. Remove the toner and look at the sheet below. If the defect is there it is the toner cartridge. If not it is the fuser. Good Luck.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by HP 1220 (11/8/05 7:08 PM) reply + / -
I have a 1200 Laser jet that has the 1220 optional scanner/copier attached. It has worked fine for the 2 years I have had it until recently.
It is not printing giving an error messages.
I have done the following:
It can print a self test page.
I have checked out the cable with another printer.
I have uninstalled & reinstalled the software and drivers.
I have disconnected the optional copier/scanner.
I have unplugged all wires including the power cord.
All with the same results.

Any other ideas????

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by dmzcompute (11/8/05 7:12 PM) reply + / -
What is the error message? What is your operating system? If plug and play when you delete the printer, turn off the computer and turn it back on, does it find the printer and attempt to install? What type of cable are you using (Parallel or USB)? Answer these questions and someone should be able to help.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by HP1220 (11/8/05 8:38 PM) reply + / -
Error Message is "Failed to Print"
XP operating system
Does not find the printer in plug and play.
USB cable

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Lungu Pavel (11/9/05 2:50 AM) reply + / -
Please, SHOW me (photos) how can I refill a cartridge of HP 1200 Laser Printer.

Thank you very much.

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by dmzcompute (11/9/05 6:32 AM) reply + / -
When you say you checked out the cable with another printer, was that printer connected to the current computer and did the printer work or did you connect it to another printer connected to another computer. This is important since if the later it still could be the usb port on your computer and not the printer. If the first I would lean towards a bad formatter or at least a bad usb port on the formatter. Have you tried using a parallel cable?

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Javid Slice (11/9/05 6:43 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for your reply. It looks like it must be the fuser. What does this mean and what steps should I take?

Javid

Re: Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (11/9/05 7:49 AM) reply + / -
I checked it with another printer on the same computer. I also tried the other printers cable and still no results. I tried plugging it into other USB ports on the back of the computer with still no results. I will try a parallel cable and see what I get.

Thanks for your help, I will post back on the parallel cable.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by hpwizard (11/9/05 7:59 AM) reply + / -
HP1220, I may be barking up the wrong tree as I am crap with software issues & XP but go to the "HP5550 blank pages.." thread & try what "longstride" did to cure his deskjet problem on XP. There are certain similarities with your problems. Worth a try?!
Good Luck!
Dazz UK

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (11/9/05 8:13 AM) reply + / -
I tried the "5550 blank pages..." suggestion. I was at the first position when I opened it up but still applied it again with NO success.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (11/11/05 6:29 PM) reply + / -
HELP!
My three year old 1200 that has always worked great, just stopped working. All three of the lights are on. Nothing will print. Nothing even lines up in the queue.

I've tried upplugging the printer for 5 minutes and when I plug it back in the motor and fan run, the abruptly stop. The lights cycle through and then all three light up.

The HP chat room said that my printer isn't supported any more, but it's only three years old! They wouldn't help me.

When I push the large green light/button, the other two lights stay on.

Any ideas or should I just buy a new printer? (Gawd!)

Thanks,
Steve

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by dmzcompute (11/11/05 6:59 PM) reply + / -
That error is a motor error. When you first apply power to the printer the motor should turn for a couple of seconds. If it does you may not have a motor error but something else. If the motor does not turn, remove the toner cartridge close the cover and turn on the printer again to see if the motor turns. If it does your toner cartridge may be binding the motor and should be replaced. Also with the toner cartridge removed look for any obstruction which will prevent the gears from turning. Now if the motor turns, here is something you can do. Open the left side cover. Just grab in back and pull away from the printer. It should come off with a little pulling and back and forth motion. On the left side is the formatter. With the power OFF remove the flat ribbon cables which go to the formatter and then reinsert them. Turn the printer on and see if it works.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (11/12/05 7:02 AM) reply+1 + / -
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions!

The motor does turn, but only for about two or three seconds, then stops. It seems to stop sooner than it used to though.

I tried your second idea about unpluging the cables on the side. I did all of them. When I plugged it back it the motor ran briefly and then all three lights came back on.

Yikes... is it fried?

Thanks again,
Steve

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by dmzcompute (11/12/05 7:37 AM) reply + / -
Unless someone else has another idea, I would get myself another printer. One thing you can do is offer your current printer for sale on ebay as a parts unit. The fuser if you are giving the correct error message should still be good and would be worth something to someone with a bad one.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (11/12/05 1:59 PM) reply + / -
Please, show me (PHOTOS, PICTURES) how can I refill the cartridge of HP 1200 Laser.

Thank you.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (11/12/05 6:03 PM) reply + / -
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/guides/reman/oasis
There isn't one for the 1200, but the 1000 uses the same cartridge.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (7/27/06 1:26 AM) reply + / -
Hi, after toner replacement and about 20 pages printed, I've noticed unusual tone density pattern, that appears across the page and repeats every 39 millimetres (1.54in). Then I've printed test page: gray filled image, to see the problem. I've counted 7 these abnormal dark linies on A4 format sheet. Between them you can get sigth of less dark but also outstanding thinner lines, that should not be there. There was also one 10mm wide darker line along the sheet about 71mm from sheet edge.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by dmzcompute (7/27/06 5:20 AM) reply + / -
Use some logic. You replaced the toner and now you get this problem after only 20 pages. You got a bad toner cartridge. Return it.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (7/27/06 11:11 AM) reply + / -
I was servicing a printer yesterday that was ghosting real bad. I told them it was a toner cartridge issue. They said it was a new remanufactured one from "Corporate Express". They had another one in a box, stuck it in and it too ghosted, but not as bad. We tried 3 cartridges and all of them ghosted. I stuck in one of our remanufactured cartridges and problem went away.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by theprinterman (7/27/06 8:41 PM) reply + / -
That's funny. I have a customer that had a color printing problem on a 4600 printer. It was because of "Corporate Express" cartridges. I had never heard of them before. Piss poor carts.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by pcrmike (7/29/06 11:24 AM) reply + / -
Moe, that's crazy. I had a couple of bad toners from CE last week that we replaced with our own and were fine. The look into the carts appeared to have used a low quality toner, and simply cleaned the wimpy OEM PCR. Oh, well. Makes people trust us legit remanufacturers better, huh? :-)PCRMike

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (7/29/06 12:17 PM) reply + / -
MIke, I'm quite familiar with the problem from years ago when we experienced it with the NX cartridge. We were using all Static Control components including toner, drum, wiper, mag rollers, etc. They are supposed to be the "Cadillac" of suppliers. We couldn't eliminate the ghosting no matter how extensively the rebuild and it showed up on every cartridge. I suggested that they empty out as much OEM toner out of our empties and try that out in the rebuild process instead of the SCC toner. Voila, that did the trick. I then phoned up SCC and told them of the problem. I got kicked around all over SCC and wasted a couple of hours. In the end, they told me that I was the only one experiencing the problem and they weren't going to reformulate the toner based on just my experience. I switched over to the "colder" toner from GCC and had no more problems. GCC was bought up by Summit, but since we don't do our own toners anymore, it doesn't matter.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Pegasus53 (7/31/06 11:47 AM) reply + / -
Hello everybody

How to empty the memory of this printer ?

I have cancelled the printing queue in the u.c.,
but the printer keeps the text of a loooong document for printing.

I don't want to print it (it was not ready) !

Remove the paper or unplug the printer are solutions, but not the better...

Thanks by advance.

Joe

(Sorry for my English...)

blank print outs by kello (8/2/06 4:35 AM) reply + / -
my hp 1200 prints a blank page when commanded to print - even when printing a self test page.

kindly advice me on what to do.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by nick2 (8/8/06 1:29 AM) reply + / -
Hi all,

First off, this site is a great resource for printer troubleshooting!

I have a HP LaserJet 1200 and it's experiencing ghosting (letters/content from upper part of the page are repeated below). The ghosting is only occurring down the center of the page, about 1" wide.

I looked at the toner cartridge (the drum in particular) and didn't see anything abnormal (as best I can tell). Nothing I did to the toner cartridge made a difference (I did not try replacing it).

I performed the "half test" and it indicates the cartridge is not at fault.

Following some older posts, I started looking for the fuser rollers. If I open the door on the back of the printer, I couldn't see the rollers. (Should I be able to?) So I took the sides, top, and back covers off. Now I'm fairly confident I can see the rollers (to lower one being black) But I couldn't get good access to them without removing a few other components. I didn't want to dismantle as much of the printer that seemed to be necessary to gain full access to the rollers, but I got enough to be able to wipe it.

Wiping it with a damp paper towel didn't yield any toner residue as I had expected/hoped for. Is there a documented procedure for cleaning the fuser? Is it typical that the fuser unit need replacement all together (as opposed to just needing cleaning)?

Thank you.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by dmzcompute (8/8/06 5:18 AM) reply + / -
If in fact the half test does not show any ghosting the only other place it can come from is the fuser and in particular the teflon sleeve of the fuser.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (8/8/06 9:31 AM) reply + / -
If you need a new film sleeve, I stock them. To get the fuser out, you need to remove the 2 metal brackets on each rear corner. There is also a small screw with a star washer on each side of the fuser and one large screw on each side. I find it a bit easier if you also unlatch the big beige gear and slide it off. Then you need to unplug all the connectors. You might want to note where they go as it can be a little confusing to reinstall them as they are all pretty much the same size but won't fit in the wrong connectors. Videoing the procedure might be a good idea. Disassembling the fuser is a whole other thing. Just be real careful not to break it and you want to try and not dislodge the 2 spring loaded release levers on each side as they are difficult to get back in the right orientation. If you want to give it a go, email me for ordering info.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by nick2 (8/9/06 5:29 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the quick responses!

I performed a few more half-page tests while investigating the problem further and realize a mistake. The half-page test is showing the ghosting before the fuser. I have a page which has not entered the fuser at all (so the "ink" can be wiped off w/ my finger) and the ghosting is present.

Here's another clue which puzzles me. If I print a blank page, there are "smudges" more or less equally spaced down the center of the page. So it's not ghosting anything that has been printed, but unwanted toner is being placed on the page.

So based on the half-page test, I'm left with two possible problems: the cartridge or the imaging drum, correct?
I opened the cartridge's shutter and turned the drum (gears separated) while looking closely at the center region of the drum. I didn't see anything peculiar (as compared to the outer regions of the drum). Can it still be the cartridge? What would be the cause? The wiper?

I can scan some demonstration pages and post them to a website if anyone's interested in having a look.

Thanks for all the help.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by dmzcompute (8/9/06 5:34 AM) reply + / -
Lets get real here. You were told it was the toner cartridge and it is the toner cartridge. The drum is part of the toner cartridge so you have to replace the complete cartridge. We do not need pictures as your issue is very very common. Just spring for a new toner.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by beeker (8/15/06 9:29 AM) reply + / -
I'm a novice here, but we had a small gray piece come off of one of the rollers in the back of the printer--the roller is gray and there is now a piece missing--and it prints a smudged line in that area of the paper. Am I correct that this is part of the fuser and I need to replace the fuser assembly? Thanks.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (8/15/06 10:06 AM) reply + / -
That is part of a shredded fixing film. It all comes down to how mechanically inclined you are. The fixing film (or fuser) assembly is real difficult to replace. Disassembling the fixing film assembly and replacing the film is much harder. Of course there are no instructions for rebuilding the assembly, so you have to figure it out on your own. If you want to give it a go, we stock the films and all you have to do is click on my name to email me. The fuser is about 3 times the cost of the film.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Stoney (1/8/07 11:17 PM) reply + / -
Hi, Folks

Revisiting old problem discussed in 03. Upgraded ME to XP. Since then the printer prints -- except off the internet, when I get a "no supported printer" message. Is this a driver issue, as for those in 03, who seemed to get no printing at all? If not, how should I deal with it? Suggestions to this novice much appreciated.

Thanks.

Stoney

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Benitojr (2/2/07 9:28 AM) reply+1 + / -
Hello,

I was hoping that someone could help me. I am having a problem with my HP LaserJet 1200, when I try to print a one page document the printer will print 6 copies and many times they will all be messed up (i.e. smeared, parts missing...). This seems to happen sporadically.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by soji (2/8/07 5:01 AM) reply + / -
pls can you tell me what to do. Becos the printer 1200series cannot see the papers instead of green colour when paper is there it is amber colours
Your quick response will be highly appreciated

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by hpwizard (2/8/07 5:43 AM) reply + / -
Soji,

If you have paper in, there are 2 other reasons it could be amber. One is no cartridge or cartridge not installed properly, or the front door is not shut properly. Open the printer, remove the cartridge & then refit it & close the front cover. See if this helps. Also check if there is perhaps a paper jam inside when you remove the cartridge. Is it just a solid amber light & does it make a noise (like warming up) when you turn it on?

Dazz UK

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Magnus100370 (2/17/07 12:24 PM) reply + / -
Hello,
this problem has already been highlighted by Steve (11/12/05). Exactly the same situation: 3 year old printer just decides one day to show all 3 lights with no response to pressing, turning on off, etc,etc...motor turns on fire up. Ribbon cables pulled and reinserted - no joy.
Is it fatal??
Thanks
Magnus

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Magnus100370 (2/17/07 12:26 PM) reply+1 + / -
Did you ever resolve your laserjet 1200 problem? I have EXACTLY the same problem as of today!
Magnus

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by imgind (2/19/07 5:04 AM) reply + / -
I have installed new windows XP and the printer HP Laserjet 1200 prints 2 pages and then stops. The printing light keeps blinking but no printing! Is there a updated driver or something I need to install? I have used this printer before with Windows XP before nd it worked fine.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by JeffQuintilian (edited 2/22/07 9:03 AM) reply + / -
I am an advanced user, not a technician. This problem I have with two lightly used hp1200's sounds like a bad toner cartridge, but I don't think it is. Please read on.

There is ghosting and dirty lines. The half self-test indicates the problem is with the cartridge. But I have used 5 new HP brand cartridges and the problem persists. I tested the cartridge in another printer, and it somehow caused the other printer to start printing badly, even after changing out to brand new cartridges. Cleaning the printer solved the problem only temporarily.

The error pattern is specific to the printer. I tried switching "known bad" cartridges between "known bad" printers, and the error pattern stayed the same on a printer regardless of the cartridge.

The error suggests that the static is not being discharged from the drum in between passes. My thought is, that if the discharge components got a tiny bit of toner on it, they would not work properly. When I open it to clean it, it would not look very dirty. How do I clean the discharge components? Are they in the cartridge? Also, is it possible that the cartridge could magnetize, short circuit, or otherwise foul the printer components? Or vice versa?

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Stephen (2/24/07 7:36 PM) reply + / -
How old were the brand new cartridges? They can die of old age in the box.

A bad cartridge is a bad cartridge...

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by ethread (2/28/07 12:32 PM) reply + / -
Have had this printer for about 5yrs with no problems until recently. The pages are printing fine, but when it spools to print there is a terrible noise.... not so much a heavy grinding but the motor noise is much louder with a slight ginding sound.

The pages print out fine with no visual problems.

Anyone have any experience with this. I thank you in advance!

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Stephen (2/28/07 1:16 PM) reply + / -
The shaft for the feed roller can get bent if you remve jams from the front with too much force.

This results in the cutout portion of the dual gear that is used to start the feed cycle not quite clearing the drive gear, then whenever the motor runs you get a grinding noise.

The shaft is difficult to replace.

If you remove the right side cover you can find the parts I'm refering to.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by ethread (2/28/07 1:44 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Stephen for the help... though I don't think that is the problem, never have paper jams... I can't remember the last time there was a jam. I use the printer all day long, and the sound happened in the middle of a print session of 3 pages.

Any other advice, or you pretty sure that it has something to do with the feed roller being bent?

Thanks again!

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by JeffQuintilian (3/1/07 5:06 AM) reply + / -
Stephen,

I am not sure how old the cartridges are are. I'm pretty sure they are at least a year or so old. What is considered old for a cartridge?

My main questions are, "Can a print cartridge ruin a printer?" and "Can a printer ruin a print cartridge"?

Thanks for your help!

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Stephen (edited 3/1/07 5:51 AM) reply + / -
Jeff,

A cartridge is highly unlikely to ruin a printer.

Printers generally do not damage cartridges.

Cartridges theoretically have a 3 year shelf life if they are in the sealed bag that HP put them in, 6 months out of the bag. Storage conditions can change the life expectancy, excessive heat, etc.

Ethread,

It could be as simple as a bad toner cartridge.

ST

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by sovietagent (3/5/07 7:22 AM) reply + / -
Hey Guys,

My 1200 is not printing properly in the middle of the page. but is printing fine on the edges. Any help will be appreicated.

Cheers,
Ol.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (3/5/07 8:39 AM) reply + / -
Replace your toner cartridge. Toner starvation starts in the center of the page. They don't last forever.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by woodenmetal (3/29/07 9:58 PM) reply + / -
I have trouble when i'm printing a lot of pages togather. Like when i gave 20 pages to print at once, at the middle of the printing all the 3 lights light up and the printing stops immidiately. Even the page that was being printed then does not finish.

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (3/30/07 4:31 AM) reply + / -
I tried new toner cartridges from an alternate source. Still getting the lines, though more faint. I give up. I am replacing the printers. Thanks for your help!!

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Stephen (3/30/07 4:52 AM) reply + / -
Were the new toner cartridges OEM? Or aftermarket?

When all 3 lights come on push and hold the button and tell us what the light pattern is while you hold the button in.

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by JeffQuintilian (edited 3/30/07 5:09 AM) reply + / -
I tried both.

When tested in other printers, the cartridge still shows the problem, but then the problem seems to pass to the known good printers, which then show the print out problem, even with subsequent new toner cartridges.

it doesnt' make sense, but I cant' deny it anymore. 5 cartridges and 2 printers are now affected.

By the way, the "all three lights" reference was form woodenmetal, on a different subject. I had no unusual light patterns

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Stephen (edited 3/30/07 5:24 AM) reply + / -
Jeff,

I saw that the all 3 lights message was from someone else.

I view the forums in the oldskool style as opposed to threaded, so everything is in one column. So I just respond once after the last post.

Define "New" please, is that new OEM, (HP), or new rebuilt, you have managed to avoid answering.

New rebuilt have a bad reputation, mainly because they are often only refilled, so they develop problems real quick.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by JeffQuintilian (3/30/07 5:28 AM) reply + / -
Oops! Sorry. At first I burned through 5 HP OEM cartrdiges, and later I tried rebuilt cartridges.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Stephen (3/30/07 5:36 AM) reply + / -
Jeff,

When the half self test indicates a bad cartridge, then the cartridge is bad.

Ghosting caused by a cartridge is due to a failure of the cleaning blade in the cartridge, all it does is wipe untransfered toner off the drum.

The cleaning blade is always in contact with the drum, so if toner gets past it then it's bad.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by JeffQuintilian (3/30/07 5:41 AM) reply + / -
That is logical, except that would mean that I had 4 bad OEM cartridges in stock, then HP sent me 1 bad OEM cartridge, and then I bought one bad rebuilt cartridge. It seems more likely that it is the printers.

Is it possible that somehow the charge applied to the cartrdige is bad, it shorts the cartridge or something, and then that in turn damages the next printer? If not, then i must have had two printers hit "end of life" during the same 2 week period.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (4/4/07 3:23 PM) reply + / -
The light pattern stays unchanged when i push the button in.

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (4/4/07 3:42 PM) reply + / -
Why don't you people start your own threads to minimize confusion? We've got 2 or 3 people getting help at the same time. Then you post anonymous and we're supposed to figure out who you are and if you bear any relation to the previous posters. We're not even sure you have a 1200. Give us a break!
Don't you dare respond to this. Go start your own thread and you better be specific about everything or I'll disappear it.

Forum moderator

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by JeffQuintilian (edited 4/6/07 5:19 AM) reply + / -
My apologies for the anonymous posting, I thought I was logged in. The comment about the the light pattern staying unchanged on 4/4/07 isn't(OOPS-SORRY) mine, it is from woodenmetal.

However, i think this is the appropriate thread. I have been posting to this about my HP1200's since Feb. Stephen replied to my posting, so I didn't go through the whole explanation of the situation again.

I just want to say that this is a great resource. I couldn't get this level of help from anyone, including HP.

Unfortunately, I had to junk these because my boss said i was spending too much time on it, and I should just buy new ones. Oh well, whatcha gonna do?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Stephen (4/5/07 6:52 PM) reply + / -
Jeff,

Are you getting an error where all 3 lights come on solid?

That's when you have to push the button in to get a secondary code.

ST

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by IsraelR (4/18/07 10:58 AM) reply + / -
My son sent a document to print - ever since my printer is printing nonsense character, over 2,000 pages so far. I cleared the que, unplugged, restarted and everthing.

As soon as my computer starts up, my printer continues printing.

It may be a message from outerspace, so, if you either have a solution, or you think you can decode the message from the aliens, please let me know.

Thanks,

Israel

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by JeffQuintilian (4/18/07 11:37 AM) reply + / -
Go to start, settings, printers and faxes, open the printer, click on the job and cancel it.

Then restart the printer hardware.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by sabrina5487 (5/31/07 8:00 AM) reply + / -
Our HP Series 1200 has started making a noise when printing. Noise is constant. Sounds like a hum.. Wondered if it was the motor?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Stoney (5/31/07 8:07 PM) reply + / -
to the moderator-----

I've received several notices that there have been replies to my posting on the 7th of January. But the noticed postings are not replies and do not address my problem.

Either that or I'm missing something bigtime, and I don't see how.

Thanks.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Molly-Dodd (6/21/07 9:19 AM) reply + / -
I have a HP LaserJet 1200 Series that does not recognize that it has paper. When I print, I get an "Out of paper" message. This started happening after I installed a new toner cartridge.

Now the printer does not recognize or pull paper either manually or automatically and will not print a test page. The motor does not run at all when I send a job to print. I've reinstalled the toner cartridge. I've tried reloading the paper. I've checked for jams. AND I've downloaded the latest driver. I've tried unplugging and re-plugging it back in--the motor does run then for a few seconds when the power first comes on.

Any ideas before I order a new printer?

Thank you!

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (6/21/07 9:28 AM) reply + / -
Since the printer does not have a display, the message must be on your computer. Since the computer can't tell whether there is paper in the tray or not, that is a communications problem between the computer and printer. When you say "will not print a test page", is that a test page from the computer? Did you try pushing the button on the printer to generate a test page?

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Molly-Dodd (6/21/07 9:53 AM) reply + / -
Yes, I tried to print by pushing the printer's button and nothing happened--so I think it's a printer issue.

Also, I checked the HP Support site which suggested removing the paper tray and reaching in with both hand to push the mylar shield back up. But the shield was fine--flat as it should be--so that's not the problem either.

Thanks for responding!

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (6/21/07 10:47 AM) reply + / -
There is an engine test button, you might try pushing that and see if it will print a lined test page. If you take off the right side panel, the engine test button is down near the bottom, about 4 inches back from the front of the printer. Look for a small silver square with a black push button on it.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by allme (6/27/07 1:17 AM) reply + / -
hy. i have a lj 1220 and i have a problem with the scanner. when i try to scan from other software it says device is disconnected and will not scan. when i scan with its software it tries to scan and returns a blank page although the scanner does not take the paper in. when i copy it works perfectly.it does the same thing both under xp and 98 and both with usb an paralell cables.
p.s. i need to use the post script drivers for what i do.
any suggestions?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by jbigelow (8/30/07 9:39 AM) reply + / -
I have a moderately used LJ 1200 that recently began to print very dark (sometimes almost black) pages randomly. It could happen in the middle of a print job, with pages before and after it printing normally. I've changed toner cartridges (used a brand-new one) and the problem continues. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when it happens, and some (not all) of the bad pages show ghosting. Any ideas?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Julieallen (9/13/07 10:00 AM) reply+1 + / -
I have a Laserjet 1200 with the copy scan print option, but we have lost the driver disk. We have never used it as a scanner, but now require that option. It seems that we do not have the hp director or hte function to be able to scan can you help me???

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by msr976 (9/13/07 10:53 AM) reply + / -
The LJ 1200 does not copy or scan. Please repost on a new thread the exact name and model # of you printer. Then we can assist you.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by julieallen (9/13/07 11:05 AM) reply + / -
Mine says right ont he front laserjet 1200 series and has print copy scan on it. Ihave read that a 1200 with conversion part C7046A makes it a 1220

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (9/13/07 1:26 PM) reply + / -
http://h20000.www2.hp.com

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Marisa2 (9/19/07 11:10 AM) reply + / -
Hi
I have replaced the toner cartridge for my printer, and when I print, the page comes out completely grey. I have replaced the toner, as they thought it might be a faulty cartridge, but nothing changed. Does anyone have an idea what happened and how I can resolve the problem?
Thanks for your help
Marisa

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by sue o (9/20/07 7:56 AM) reply + / -
It still sounds like a bad toner cartridge. Try the half test as described in this forum. I have seen many, many, many brand new out of the box toners fail for this and the 1300 printer.

Problems printing labels by mhirsch (9/20/07 1:43 PM) reply + / -
I would like to print sheets of 30 address labels and also small circular labels. In both cases, the type is misaligned with the labels, even though I am using standard size label stock (Staples, Avery). Is there a way to fix the alignment of the printer to match the position of the labels? (In the case of the rectangular labels, they print too far down; for the circular labels, they print too far right.)

Thanks,

M. Hirsch

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (9/21/07 10:56 AM) reply + / -
We have 2 HP laser jet 1200 series printers in the office. One works fine. The 2nd printer has smeared pages for the first or second print of the day or if the printer has been idle for a while.

Switched out cartridges and didn't affect the printing quality (switched with the printer that's ok) - still smeared the 1st printed page. After the 1st or 2nd page, no smearing. Any suggestions?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Rick Carroll (10/10/07 7:39 AM) reply + / -
I have been using my Laserjet 1200 for 3 years with no problems. About 2 weeks ago, it started smearing pages. I decided to run the self cleaning by running a transparency through it. I held down the button for 10 seconds and the process begins. It goes on slowly "clicking" for about 5 minutes and then stops. No matter how long I wait after that (I have waited up to 2 hours), the printer just sits there with a sheet half way through the path. I must turn off the printer and remove the page. I have tried this with plain paper as well as transparencies. It just stops and there is never any marks on the page. Any ideas out there about how to fix the self clean or get rid of the smudges?

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Stony (10/10/07 9:20 AM) reply + / -
Suggest you start by checking out the basic compatibility of your scanner with your operating system. Some types of Umax scanners, for instance, the company can provide drivers for, some it cannot. But you need to check company sites.

Apropos, anyone interested in buying a perfectly good Umax scanner that is incompatible with XP and in all probability VISTA, speak up. Nominal cost plus shipping.

WHICH BRINGS ME TO HELP I HAVE ASKED FOR AND NOT GOTTEN: namely, what driver do I use with XP that will enable me to print through Internet Explorer using an otherwise completely operative 1200 Series: I need to know where to get one and, in brief, how to install it.

Thanks.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (10/10/07 9:24 AM) reply + / -
It could be a bad toner cartridge. Take out the cartridge and look at the drum. If it looks dirty with toner, that will be the cause of the problem, but most likely your fixing film has tears in it. http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K94

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (10/10/07 10:30 AM) reply + / -
Any idea what may cause the self clean to stop?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (10/10/07 10:34 AM) reply + / -
No, and I wouldn't worry about it as the self cleaning works about as good as waving a magic wand over it. Putting a transparency through it is just asking for trouble. I've seen too many of those wrap around the heater assy. and permanently fuse into a plastic tube.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Rick Carroll (10/11/07 4:35 AM) reply + / -
Moe, thanks for the input. I replaced the toner cartridge and the problem went away. I never would have thought the cartridge was the problem. It is back to working perfectly again.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Peykat (11/11/07 9:25 PM) reply + / -
Hello, I'm having a problem with our HP laserjet 1200, when I try to print on it, a message will pop and show that the document is printed, even in the property of the printer show that it is printed. But nothing is coming out the printer the OS is Microsoft XP. But when I try to print using Solaris 8 OS, it print perfectly. I also selt test the printer and it print. Can someone help me please. Thank you in Advance.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (11/13/07 3:42 AM) reply + / -
Try to uninstall and reinstall a driver for this printer.
Good Luck,
YP

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (12/1/07 3:29 PM) reply + / -
Did you ever get a disk? I pordered one from HP and was able to get the scanner working but will feed one or more pages through all at once.

Galen

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Prairie Dawg (12/12/07 12:40 PM) reply + / -
I've got a LaserJet 1200 with about 55,000 sheets through it and recently in the middle of a substantial print job it started making a grinding noise that sounds like when you get some debris in the heater motor in your car.

I replaced the fan assembly as the original appeared damaged but that was not the cure to the problem.

Other than that it works fine, it's just annoying to listen to. Changing toner cartridges has not made any difference that I can detect.

Should I just put it someplace where it's not going to annoy me with its pesky whining, or is this the start of something bad?

I've thought it could be a problem with the stepper motor-does this sound like something plausible? Anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Prairie Dawg (12/13/07 12:02 PM) reply + / -
On further inspection the noise seems to be coming from inside the fuser assembly. Is this something that can be taken apart, cleaned and reassembled?

Thanks

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (12/13/07 3:09 PM) reply + / -
I had one just like that yesterday. Sounded like a cat being strangled. It also sounded like it was emanating from the fuser assembly, but it turned out to be the laser scanner motor. I opened up the scanner assembly and removed the scanner motor board (3 screws). You have to take off the locking clip on top of the mirror motor assembly, taking care not to get fingerprints on it. Then you remove the mirrors and the part below it. Lubricate the shaft with some synthetic lube and put a drop in the hole as well. Reassemble and the noise should go away. My favorite synthetic lube http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/specials/misc/chemicals/S93
Works great on locks as well. Fixed all the sticky locks in the office by squirting some inside the mechanism. Didn't even have to take them apart.

Problem w/scan copy fax by chlodog (1/20/08 4:00 PM) reply + / -
I have a laserjet 1200 print copy fax. I cannot seem to set up the scan copy fax functions. Cd and manual provide virtually no assistance with setting up and operating these functions. Any suggestions?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Russ Blakeman (1/20/08 7:12 PM) reply + / -
Chlodog I think you mean a Laserjet 1220 or 1220se, not a 1200 as they only come as a printer as a 1200. I cant even remember what they look like let alone set one up but they are made for user level setup, if it doesnt react to the methods listed in the user manual then it may have something wrong like a bad button board or formatter board.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Debbie Flood (1/30/08 5:05 AM) reply + / -
While printing a sheet of labels, a label got stuck in the printer, on a roller?? I assume?? When I print anything I get the image of the label..4x.

What next? I am not a fix it person, but can pass on advice to a co worker who is.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Prairie Dawg (1/30/08 6:12 AM) reply + / -
It is stuck on a roller for sure. There's a chance you might get lucky and it's on the toner cartridge drum, in which case you can just change the cartridge. But if not it means a disassembly job or a trip to the repair shop. If you're mechanically inclined you can fix it yourself, but in all cases you need a service manual. I found a site on the web that I was able to get the manual for $7 but it's been a while-it was a lot cheaper than most places. It was techlit or techspot or something like that.

Moe is the printer God and maybe he'll take a peek at this post.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (1/30/08 8:43 AM) reply + / -
Take out the cartridge, pull back the shutter that covers the drum. You might be able to see the label. If not, rotate the drum using the gear on the end. If the label is stuck to the drum, you can gently peel it off. Be very careful not to scratch the drum with your fingernails. Then get a cotton pad and wet it with some alcohol, not too much as you don't want it running down the drum. The alcohol will remove the glue residue. If you are patient, you can get it all off. Remember that the coating is very sensitive and it is real easy to damage the drum surface and then you'll get bad print quality. Once you have all the glue off, then use a dry cotton pad to buff it clean. This is important as toner will stick to any residue.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by ngc2392 (2/18/08 11:41 PM) reply + / -
Hello all,
i am new one here but i hope we could find a solution for me. A friend of mine has a laserjet 1200. Recently he finally went to xp and i installed drivers and stuff. But, after shutdown the computer he also shutdown the power. And after power on, printer always prints a blank page. Is that some kind of selftest? Even if we shutdown printer with its own poweroff switch, after switching it on, it does blank page. How can i prevent that besides leaving printer always on?

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (3/11/08 3:12 PM) reply + / -
Leave the printer on. In sleep mode it consumes about the same amount of power as a night light.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by natalierizzieri (edited 3/14/08 6:31 PM) reply + / -
My hp 1200 was working just fine until there was a paper jam. Now it won't work at all...on my computer it says that it is working, and that the document has been completed/printed, but the printer doesn't make a sound or any effort at all. any ideas? I have tried restarting it, reinstalling the driver, unplugging all other printers, etc. Thanks for your time.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by tinusb (4/3/08 10:33 AM) reply + / -
Hi! Please help, URGENTLY!

I have a Laserjet 1200, and when I do manual duplexing, some of my pages are wrinkled [looks like it has been ironed!]. It doesn't happen to all the pages, and it appears to be random. About 22400 pages printed on the printer.

Urgent reply is appreciated!

Rgds
Tinus

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (5/8/08 8:38 AM) reply + / -
how to you get the door open to replace the toner cartridge!

HP LaserJet 1200 Series Solid Green Light by cashjgps (5/19/08 7:03 AM) reply + / -
Has anyone else experienced an error condition where the printer stops printing and displays the large button in a solid green light? I found that unplugging the printer and plugging it back will clear the condition but I don't think that's what the printer gods intended for us to do. I would appreciate any assistance with this!

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Eszti (5/19/08 7:33 PM) reply + / -
While trying to print on an iron-on transfer, the laserjet couldn't push out the paper. When I tried to pull it out, 2 pieces of the iron-on stuck to the roller. How do I open up the machine to get at the roller so I can pull off those two pieces. I can't get at the pieces from in back of the machine.
Thanks.
Eszti (pronounced "ST", its Hungarian)

Re: Problem w/scan copy fax by Anonymous (5/22/08 12:22 PM) reply + / -
were you able to get fax/copy to work on your HPLJ1200?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series PRINTING ALL BLACK by stevedamien (6/6/08 1:50 PM) reply + / -
Hi Everyone,
I am running the HP LJ1200 on an Intel Duo Core Mac (Leopard OS). It has been working fantatically up until today. Now, no matter what I do, it prints a page (or more) or solid black. Nothing has changed with the printer since the last time I used it, and it worked fine. I'm kind of at a lose. I cleared the NVRAM, and did whatever simple button holding procedures. So far no change. Has anyone else experienced this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Steve

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (6/12/08 7:02 PM) reply + / -
I had a paper jam in my laserjet 1200 and when I removed the jam the printer stopped working. the motor does not come on and the amber color light is just flashing. THere is no paper left in the printer from the jam. Anyone had similar problems and found a resolution? Thanks.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (6/12/08 7:23 PM) reply + / -
You broke or dislodged the paper sensor flag at the rear of the fuser assy. You can open the back door and look for a skinny black plastic arm in the center of the fuser assy. where the paper exits the fuser.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by gandinadoly (6/19/08 7:43 PM) reply + / -
anyone please help me, i have hp laserjet 1200, and the fixing film was torn and i have replace it with the new one. but the problem is my printer is blinking and the fan is not working. someboby please help me?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (7/8/08 5:12 PM) reply + / -
I have a Laser jet 1200 and all of the lights are on. The motor cycles but it will not print. Seems like I remeber this happening when my first toner cartridge ran out. Does anyone know?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by 475 (8/1/08 9:52 AM) reply + / -
A couple of weeks ago I put some thicker than usual paper and it jammed up the printer. Now everytime I try to print the paper tries to go in distorted (at an angle) so it jams again. Any ideas how to fix this?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (8/1/08 10:46 AM) reply + / -
Most likely scenario is a small scrap of paper got left behind in the paper path. The paper is hitting it and skewing.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by dmzcompute (8/1/08 7:08 PM) reply + / -
See if the link below helps. Have seen this many times.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by LouieLouie (8/24/08 10:34 PM) reply + / -
HP 1200 LaserJet printer. Makes a high pitch squealing sound when printing. Does it with toner cartridge removed or installed. All gears seem to be turning. Noise stops when motor stops. Can the motor do this or is there some other source inside the printer that turns at a relatively high speed?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (8/24/08 11:22 PM) reply + / -
Read the thread!

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by io (8/29/08 9:41 AM) reply + / -
Hi 1200 owners. I've lost my installing CD and now I can't scan anymore :(

(HP sell's the CD's and i feel it's not fair). Can any mercifull soul share the disk.... :) We can easily do this with a torrent, a pando or something like that, please (reach me @ hello@a1blanco.com)

thank you in advance

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series - cat strangled noise by cabinets (11/13/08 7:17 AM) reply + / -
LJ1200 starts printing, you can hear the lower toned printer noise, then almost immediately a much louder, annoying higher pitched noise kicks in too.

I would not think of it as "cat being strangled" because there is no variation in it. It is just a solid unvarying higher pitched hum/whine until printing stops.

Would this be a variant of the "cat strangle" noise described above?

Thanks.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (11/13/08 10:25 AM) reply + / -
Yes.

LJ1200 scanner mirror retainer clip by cabinets (11/21/08 8:28 AM) reply + / -
What kind of tool do you use to deal with this clip?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (11/21/08 8:33 AM) reply + / -
I use a small flat-bladed screwdriver.

LJ 1200 - startup stops at panel light stage. by cabinets (11/21/08 8:35 AM) reply + / -
LJ1200 was plugged in, set up, and working.

Moved it to another location. Disconnected power cord and usb cable from currently installed bad (fuser) printer. Connected power cord and usb cable to replacement unit that had been working fine, closed the front door, it made the initial noises but would not proceed to the final stage of all the lights coming on.

I must have electrically destroyed something in the moving and reconnecting process. Any ideas what it might be?

LJ1200 fuser disassembly by cabinets (11/21/08 8:38 AM) reply + / -
Anyone aware of instructions for disassembly of this fuser for sleeve replacement that are posted on the internet somewhere?

Thanks.

Scanner mirror retainer clip by cabinets (11/21/08 9:09 AM) reply + / -
How about putting it back on?

I have lost the clip in my office once from the spring and fly routine. The metal of the clip seems to be strong enough that I can't just set it on the shaft and get it to spread with pressure from my fingers. If I try to push down with a screwdriver I am worried about it slipping off and damaging the mirror.

I may have already turned this into a "science experiment" because I also have fingerprints all over everything at this point.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (11/21/08 9:56 AM) reply + / -
The purpose of this forum is to give advice on repairs. Nothing much we can do about the mechanical/technical abilities of the people receiving said advice. IMHO, there are a few people in whose hands tools are dangerous weapons. I have seen the results all too many times. I always cringe when someone brings in a DIY repair printer and a box of "leftover" parts. Unfortunately, we have to charge extra for those.

re Mechanical abilities by cabinets (11/21/08 10:01 AM) reply + / -
That's a fair comment. If screwdriver and thumbs is the way the pros do that clip, I will try some more. This is basically a science experiment printer at this point, and if I ruin it, no one will care but me.

I asked about tools because the clip looked peculiar and I find in talking with and watching people repair things, that each area of repairs has special tools that sometimes just make things easier and sometimes make impossible tasks possible.

I just thought this might be one of those situations where there was a special tool that you needed to do the job properly.

RE: LJ 1200 startup issue posted above. by cabinets (11/21/08 10:05 AM) reply + / -
Rereading through the thread, I see some discussion of a formatter board above.

Would failure on that board be a reasonable candidate to cause the printer startup to stop before the panel lights come on?

Thanks.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (11/21/08 10:06 AM) reply + / -
Where most people mess up is that they are in a rush or get frustrated. Always go slow and gentle. Get frustrated...take a break and go back to it. As long as you don't scratch the mirrors, then you can clean them with a paper towel moistened with window cleaner. I was always a mimimalist when it came to tools. 99% of the repairs I do are with just a pocket screwdriver and my power screwdriver fitted with a #2 phillips tip.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by HP-Printer-Dave (11/24/08 10:06 PM) reply + / -
Usually the fuser not heating up to full temp. is the culprit for the printer not booting up to a green ready light. BUT, it could be a scanner motor binding up at its bearing & not spinning up to full speed -- usually accompanied by a high hum or whine sound at boot up.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series - fuser/scanner motor by cabinets (edited 12/3/08 2:52 PM) reply + / -
That's interesting.

Since the printer stopped working and it was under 8k copies, I turned it into a fuser donor for another machine, which is now working fine, so it was not the fuser. That takes me back to the scanner.

Thank you for the ideas/suggestions.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series - tools by cabinets (12/9/08 12:48 PM) reply + / -
moe,

I guess I flunk minimalist. I couldn't do it with just the screwdriver.

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a cheap set of mini snap ring pliers. (Instead of buying "the right" $22 plus shipping tool I found on the net.) I took one pair and ground the jaws so the points came together close enough to fit in the mirror clip. With that I was able to spread it enough to get it back on the motor shaft and then push it into place.

When it came to removing the next one, I found my grind job was sloppy enough the pliers wouldn't engage the clip when it was in place, so I had to start with a small screwdriver and then use my adapted pliers to get it the rest of the way off.

I think I also learned this particular kind of clip is called a grip ring which I had not heard of before.

Thanks for the time you have taken making suggestions in the thread.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by giversgain (1/29/09 10:17 AM) reply + / -
My printer prints a couple of pages then stops. It continues to feed blank paper through. When the problem starts, the three lights go on. I can temporarily correct the problem by unplugging and restarting the printer. What's going on?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by nivek (1/29/09 11:43 AM) reply + / -
You need to hold down the go button and tell us what the secondary error code is. The three lights just tells us it had a fatal error by holding down the go button it will either stay the same or the light pattern will change. This tells us what part you need to check out.

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (1/29/09 11:56 AM) reply + / -
I am less knowledgeable than you think I am. I assume the "go" button is the larger of the three lighted buttons on the front. If I hold it down, where I am going to read an error message. When I hold it down, nothing happens. Pardon my lack of sophistication.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by cabinets (1/29/09 1:52 PM) reply + / -
According to the 1200n user manual, under step 19, troubleshooting,

3) If all lights are blinking, remove the DIMM and replace it with a new DIMM, if necessary.

4) If all lights are on, unplug the printer, wait 5 minutes, plug it back in, and retry. If errors still exist, call HP Customer Support.

The error codes are what combination of the 3 lights are off and on.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by nivek (1/29/09 4:46 PM) reply + / -
The error sounds like a formatter issue. Like the above post says remove any extra memory. Second guess could be a possible cable, port, or driver issue. A corupt driver can cuase the issue becuase it sends bad information to the printer and the printer doesn't understand so it craps out and says I quit try something else. It could be a certain document now I think about it. If you havent already try something else. Does it ever stop feeding paper or just blanks till its out. I would go into the driver and print off ten test pages and see what that does for you. If it fails I would reinstall driver and if you have an extra cable try that or different port like if your using parrallel then try usb or vice versa.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by crg (2/17/09 7:05 PM) reply + / -
I am trying to print invitation envelopes with the 1200. The envelopes are a little thick so I am opening the back door. After printing a few envelopes the front of the envelope has some (I guess what is called ghosting), and the back looks like it has tire marks. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by mski (2/20/09 11:18 AM) reply + / -
I have a HP 1200 that I am sharing between two computers. I had sent a document to print and as it started the spooling process it started making a terrible scretching noise. I unplugged the power to make it stop, but it does not reset itself once the power is plugged back in. I cleared my printer of any pending documents but it does not help and it continues with the toner out as well. Help!!

Mark

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (2/20/09 3:44 PM) reply + / -
Laser scanner motor bearings. You can take it apart and lubricate it. Instructions are in some of the threads. Do a search.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (2/20/09 3:45 PM) reply + / -
Laser scanner motor bearings. You can take it apart and lubricate it. Instructions are in some of the threads. Do a search.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by dummy (3/25/09 2:08 PM) reply + / -
I've had my 1200 series for years. Great machine. Suddenly it has started to put horizontal lines across the paper, left edge to 1/2 inch from right edge, almost exactly 1-1/2 inches apart (actually, 1-17/32"). The top one is 1-3/8 from top, sharper than the rest, which are soft and smudgy. Getting darker. Actually each consists of 2 thin lines 1/32 apart. New cartridge (HP) didn't help. Help!

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by arkved (3/27/09 1:53 PM) reply + / -
I have a kind of strange problem with my 1200. We print "starter checks" for our members using a special program designed to print "starter checks." when i use this program everything prints correctly. Our core processing software also prints "starter checks" for us but this is where i am having an issue. When i print to any other printer in the office from our core processing software, the checks print correctly. We use the 1200 specifically for check printing because we have MICR toner in it. When i print to the 1200 from the core processing software, each individual check on the 4up stock sheet prints approx 1/16th of an inch lower than the one above it. in other words, on the first check on the sheet (4 checks per sheet), the first check lines up exactly right, everything prints where it should, on the second check everything prints 1/16th of an inch lower than it should. the 3rd one is then 1/8th of an inch lower, and the last check is about 3/16th of an inch lower, and has the MICR line printing on the very bottom edge of the check. I have tried changing drivers on it, used the PCL5e, PCL6, and even the generic Windows Universal driver, and all have the same results. Any ideas on how to correct this?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (3/27/09 4:00 PM) reply + / -
The post is a little confusing, so let me see if I understand it. You have 2 versions of this program that prints starter checks. One prints correctly to the 1200 and the other (core processing software) has the problem. If that's true, then it's obviously something wrong with the software or driver that's specific to that 1200. You don't mention what the other printers are, but I'm guessing they're not 1200s. If you do have another 1200, then I'd suggest swapping it and the MICR toner to that one. Possibly, you aren't totally removing the driver that is corrupt. Try using another older driver like a 2100 or even as old as an HP4.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by arkved (3/27/09 4:28 PM) reply + / -
Sorry for the confusing post, it is kind of a confusing thing to explain, rofl. It is 2 different programs, one that only prints starter checks, then the other program is our core processing. we want to get rid of the one program because it has an annual license that is very expensive, and since the core processing software does the same thing, why pay twice for the same service? The other printers i have printed to were an HP Laserjet 4000 and a Kyocera multifunction printer. I was unaware i could use drivers not specific for that printer, i will try the 2100 or the HP4 and see if that works. Also, if this makes a difference, the printer is hooked up to a netgear print server, and then that is connected to our network and our main server shares out the driver to the work stations. When i remove the printer from my workstation and then find it on the network again, i can go to the properties and select a driver associated with it (i.e. PCL6, generic windows driver). neither of those fix the problem, i then installed the PCL5e, removed the printer from the workstations, and then re-installed it selecting the PCL5e, with the same results.

LaserJet 1200 Series - squealing whining noise by cabinets (5/5/09 12:55 PM) reply + / -
I'd like to give a cautionary note to anyone who finds this thread while researching fixing a squealing noise in their HP Laserjet 1200.

While researching that problem, I found this thread.
There is a post on 12/13/07 above that includes some instructions for dealing with it. There is a response post telling what someone did. On 08/24/08 someone posted in with a similar issue and were admonished to read the thread. The instructions on 12/13/07 include using synthetic oil for lubrication. The response on 12/12/07 indicates the poster used WD40 for lubrication. Prior to doing anything, I read the entire thread twice. There is nothing in it about the potential for problems with WD40. I took that, along with the comment to read the thread, to mean that WD40 was ok to use.

I found instructions on the net for printer disassembly and used the instructions above to eventually get the scanner apart. Since I had WD40, I used that for the lubricant. I got the scanner and printer reassembled and things seemed to be working ok.

Fast forward approximately 5,000 prints. The printer is not printing properly. I thought perhaps it was the fuser, but I have been told in another thread that the symptoms I am seeing are likely related to scanner problems. I have mentioned the WD40 in some other threads, and have been roundly criticized for using it. The criticisim has never included any instruction or comment as to specifically why WD40 is wrong for this application, so I cannot give you any good reasons as to why you should not use it. However I can tell you, based on my experience, that if you do use WD40 as the lubricant in repairing the scanner, your success will probably only be temporary.

At this point, I am also unable to tell you whether it is possible to recover the scanner by disassembling it and lubricating it again or whether you will just need to replace it. I may have an answer to that question at a later time.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (edited 8/8/09 7:11 PM) reply + / -
I and the other techs always admonish people for using WD40 on printers. I specifically gave the link for the best synthetic lubricant sold, which coincidentally is available on this site. Having been in printer repair for 20 years and having tried pretty much everything related to printer repair, I will only make available the best products that we use ourselves. I'm going to delete all mentions of WD40 I find advocating the use of it. Simply telling people that it is bad for their printers doesn't seem good enough because they don't read that far.
WD stands for Water Displacement (no mention of lubrication) 40 stands for 39 prior failures, I like to think of it as 40 failures as they most likely gave up and said "what the heck, let's just market this crap as is and the suckers will buy it."

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by kerryemery (6/22/09 6:27 AM) reply + / -
1220 optional scanner/copier - have not gotten any recognition from the scanner. Need to scan pages into files (preferably tiff or jpg) and store in database. Have not been able to get scanner recognition since installing the top unit. It does copy and print fine. Have 64M memory and all ribbons and cables are connected. XP pro on Toshiba Satellite laptop with all updates. Any help troubleshooting? thanx

Re: LJ1200/1220 scanning by cabinets (6/22/09 7:12 AM) reply + / -
I was searching about the copier/scanner unit a couple of months ago. I believe the scanning function takes a special driver and possibly some other special scanning software that came on cd with the unit when it was new.

It looked like, back when the unit was current at HP, that you could write to HP and get a cd. I don't think that is possible any more. I don't know exactly what a torrent is and how you get stuff on it or with it, but I think I saw one or two "torrent sites" that claimed to have the driver part of the software, 1 had user comments that indicated the driver worked. I was unable to find anywhere that looked like it had the complete software set that shipped with the product orginally. I was unable to get a unit that was not broken, so I did not pursue the software issue any further. It looks to me like it will be a challenging hit and miss situation to get the scanner part working and I am also not sure if the resolution quality is worth all the effort.

If you do go hunting and downloading drivers, be very careful because you can easily get nasty malware from some download sites.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by kerryemery (6/22/09 7:30 AM) reply + / -
Very good. I'm finding that to be the case. Very difficult to find and may not be worth the resolution given. Thanx for the help and the warning. Typical for HP on this issue. It's like pulling teeth.

Re: Re: LJ1200/1220 scanning by moe (6/22/09 9:00 AM) reply+1 + / -
Here you go on the torrent http://thepiratebay.org
You'll also need to download a torrent manager
http://utorrent.com

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by kerryemery (6/22/09 11:23 AM) reply + / -
Holy Smokes!... i had almost given up. You are a lifesaver. Many many thanx for your help on this one! Why HP doesn't have a download of it is beyond me.... Again - thank you so much. I really didn't need to put yet another scanner in my office.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by cabinets (6/23/09 6:06 AM) reply + / -
moe,
thank you for finding that file site.

So to do a "torrent" I first have to install the manager you mentioned and then it is basically like downloading a file?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (edited 6/23/09 7:43 AM) reply-1 + / -
Yes. You download the utorrent software, then click on the download link. It will automatically open utorrent and then it will ask you whether you want to open or save the file. Choose "open". Then it will ask you where you want to save it to.
I wouldn't worry too much about downloading malware from that site. The people who do that mostly stay on the file sharing sites like Kazaa.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by kkt (8/7/09 6:03 AM) reply + / -
can u do me a favour, when i printing the paper, it is stuck, n can't print it anymore, the signal show only organe colour,
I would be thank to u with my heart if u help me, reply me

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Mahone (8/8/09 7:23 AM) reply + / -
Not only WD40 is bad, it causes a really bad fire if used in a fuser, WD-40 is made out of petrol, its vapours can cause a flame if used in a fuser unit, NEVER USE WD-40 on any printer.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (8/8/09 10:09 AM) reply + / -
WD-40 is made of GAS? NO, it is made from OIL or Petroleum. Petrol is Gasoline.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by rohmell (8/8/09 12:42 PM) reply + / -
WD-40 is made up primarily of Stoddard solvent, around 50% key word here is SOLVENT. The percentage of lubricant is only around 15%.
A gas chromatography analysis of WD-40 shows that there are about 45 different components in the C9-C11 range. Decane and undecane are the two largest peaks in the spectrum. Most of the C9-C11 peaks appear to be straight or minimally branched hydrocarbons, with one peak being a pretty good match for decahydronaphthalene. C9-C11 make up approximately 99% of the detected signal.
A small amount of higher alkanes such as hexdecane and eicosane (C16-C20 range)were also detected.
Simply put, this stuff is more of a solvent than a lubricant. The lubricant portion of WD-40 is plain old mineral oil.
A synthetic lubricant would be far superior to this snake oil.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Ann Leffler (8/27/09 8:54 AM) reply + / -
My 1200 leaves a white streak vertically down the center of the page. The streak is getting wider. I'm afraid it will engulf my house....Not really about the house, but really about the "wider." Changing toners doesn't help. I DID pull the silver band on the new toner (on your left as you glare at the cartridge) farther out and that helped, but my guess is that just like on a typewriter ribbon that isn't spooling, it will stop helping soon. Advice anyone?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by nivek (8/27/09 9:29 AM) reply + / -
Probably going to need to do a half test to figuire out if you have a dirty laser/scanner or a rip in your fuser film. To do a half test print off a page and when its half way through the machine open the lid. Check and see if the defect shows up before the toner is fused. If it does then most likely your scanner mirrors or lens and getting dirty and they will need cleaned. Usually when they get dirty the area is faint then goes blank. If the problem isnt there before its fused then the fuser sleeve is probably ripped down the middle.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (edited 8/27/09 9:41 AM) reply + / -
It's not going to be a scanner mirror. They don't give that symptom when they get dusty. You'll get print fade, but not white streaks. You do know that you're supposed to remove that sealing strip all the way when you install the cartridge? That is there to seal the toner into the bin so it won't leak out during shipping. The symptom does point at toner starvation, although you say you tried another cartridge. I'd hazard a guess that the sealing strip wasn't pulled all the way out on that one either. Gently rock the cartridge from side to side to redistribute the toner.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by clpnoz2 (10/1/09 6:19 PM) reply + / -
I have had this HP 1200 series for a couple of years and have enjoyed it so much. But last week, my toner cartridge was running low, so I took it out, shook it and kept using it. Then, I needed to print a fairly large job and figured I better change the cartridge. The new one is ghosting down the middle of the page and has lines going across the page. Ok, so I opened a new cartridge...same thing. So I figured that I ordered a bad batch of toner cartridges (they were remanufactured, so I figured they were just bad) so then I got a brand new HP cartridge and still the same ghosting. However, if I put in the old cartridge that was low on ink - it prints perfect!
So I have one cartridge that is low on ink that prints fine, and I have 4 opened cartridges that are ghosting.
I tried wiping out my printer cavity, but really didn't see much residue in there.

Anyone have any suggestions??? I would really appreciate it.

(Be easy with your responses, I am not a technician, just someone who misses her printer!)

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (10/1/09 9:11 PM) reply + / -
OK, you have a cartridge that prints good and 4 cartridges that don't. What do you think the problem is? Without seeing it, I would say you have 4 bad cartridges. The good news is that the HP cartridges have a lifetime guarantee. It's printed on the bottom of the box.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Nick1212 (10/22/09 2:55 PM) reply + / -
I just received a used HP LaserJet 1200. I installed a new ink catridge and it worked fine printing a test page. Almost immediately after printing, the printer shut down and currently isn't working at all. No lights are coming on nothing. It is properly plug in (I checked the A/C cord and tested on an other working outlet) but it appears to have no power. I did nothing that I know after printing my test page that could have caused this. I'm wondeing if theres anything else I could check to try to fix this problem before replacing it.

Thanks

expected life of a HP 1200 by paulthode (10/23/09 6:58 AM) reply + / -
I have had one for about 6-7 years and very happy with it.

I am wondering if anyone knows about how long this type of printer will last..

Hard to know exactly as I don't keep records, but probably have printed 40-50K copies since I bought it.. use several toner cartridges per year.

I was thinking of buying a new one, but why put one into a garbage pile is not necessary??

any help would be appreciated.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by cabinets (10/23/09 2:43 PM) reply + / -
Look at the door which you pull open to replace cartridges.

On the left side there are 2 small lights and a large light/button in a triangle pattern.

Push the large button and you will get a test print out with information about the printer including the number of copies it has printed.

I have had fuser films fail in a broad range from 90K+ copies all the way to 200K+ copies. Based on that, in a relatively clean office environment, if stuck pages have been removed properly, I would hope to get at least 120K pages from one of these before I had problems.

If you get "multiple sheet pulling issues" you might have to replace the paper pickup roller and the separation pad.

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (10/26/09 4:35 PM) reply + / -
Yep, kind of like an HP 1200. 1199 failures and then they gave up. Well into the 5000 series now, right? Good luck my fellow suckers!

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by lou23 (11/10/09 5:47 AM) reply + / -
My printer is 'smearing' on the left inch or so of the paper. Is this a drum problem?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Anonymous (11/10/09 1:20 PM) reply + / -
lou23,
Examine the toner cartridge drum, by pulling back the shutter. How does the problem side (end) look, compared to the entire length of the drum? Next examine the fusing assembly. Does the film looked dis-colored or torn on the problem side (end)? It's going to be one or the other.
Good luck!

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (11/10/09 2:48 PM) reply + / -
That's almost always a fixing film. Here you go on a replacement http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K94

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by lou23 (11/10/09 4:02 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I described it correctly. the ink is not smearable when it comes out, it's more like something is dragging on it as it's printing, maybe something on the drum?? Does this make a difference in the fix?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (11/10/09 4:43 PM) reply + / -
When the film shreds, that's usually the side that does it. If you get a flashlight and shine it in at the back into the fuser assembly, you should be able to see the film. It's gray and should go from one end to the other. When it shreds, sometimes little pieces of it come out. Just look on the right side and you should be able to see the shredded end of it. Cartridges can cause the problem, but from experience, this is more descriptive of a fixing film as cartridges generally don't smear on one end.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (11/10/09 4:44 PM) reply + / -
When the film shreds, that's usually the side that does it. If you get a flashlight and shine it in at the back into the fuser assembly, you should be able to see the film. It's gray and should go from one end to the other. When it shreds, sometimes little pieces of it come out. Just look on the right side and you should be able to see the shredded end of it. Cartridges can cause the problem, but from experience, this is more descriptive of a fixing film as cartridges generally don't smear on one end.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by cabinets (11/16/09 2:36 PM) reply + / -
Re June 22 and 23 posts above.

Pirate bay may no longer be a safe site.

See this post on a spyware removal site:
http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=126090

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by smccormick (11/17/09 7:26 AM) reply + / -
My HP 1200 is creasing (crinkling) and smearing toner down the middle of the page. There is also a clicking noise coming from what appears to be the back of the printer. Please help. Thanks

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by cabinets (11/17/09 7:55 AM) reply + / -
Read moe's 11/10 post above for checking instructions. It sounds like your fuser film is breaking up.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by hima (2/11/10 4:15 AM) reply + / -
how to refill a cartridge of HP 1200 series

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (edited 2/11/10 10:13 AM) reply + / -
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/guides/reman/1200

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by JohnnyQ2004 (10/1/10 6:37 AM) reply + / -
the power went off in the middle of a print job and now there is a paper jam in the 1200 series and I can't get it to work, it comes on, I put plenty of paper there but there is a piece of paper I can't get out

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (10/1/10 8:09 AM) reply + / -
Did you take the cartridge out and try to get it out from inside? Pull gently, but firmly and don't tear the paper.

CHEAPEST AND BEST WAY TO TEST A REFILLED TONER CAR by expertllc (10/1/10 10:29 AM) reply + / -
HEY GUYS I AM TRYING TO START MY TONER REFILLING BUSINESS....NEED TO FIND OUT THE CHEAPEST AND MORE EFFECTIVE WAY TO TEST A REFILLED TONER CARTRIDGE WITHOUT HAVING TO BUY ALL THE TYPES AND MODELS OF PRINTERS IN THE MARKET TO BE ABLE TO TEST THEM..

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by sue o (10/1/10 3:16 PM) reply + / -
Well, since all cartridges are unique to their printer engines, you must get each printer "engine" to test the finished cartridges. Some printers can be modified to accept several cartridge types but you would need to post what cartridges you are going to do as the list is far too extensive to post. There is an analyzer from a company in Australia that will test the components of a cartridge but you have to be doing a good quantity to justify the cost.
Bottom line, if you are just out to offer a cheap refilled toner cartridge, forget it. China manufactures (eg. internet) have got you beat and you will not be able to compete.
If you are looking to offer a high quality cartridge with excellent service, partner with a quality US based toner remanufacturer and either offer their brand or get them to private label for you.
Good luck.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by dnice (3/1/11 9:35 AM) reply + / -
I have a HP Laserjet 1200 Series printer that won't lift up to the roller/feeder so the paper can feed into the printer. Everything else seems to be working properly. It was transported to a new location and I'm thinking something shifted or broke but have no idea where to begin. We considered the flattening of the shields buth those appear okay and not to be our problem. If we need to remove the inner paper tray, please tell us how to do that as well. Thanks so much.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by RJJM4th (3/5/11 8:40 PM) reply + / -
I have had my HP 1200 for 5-6 years; 27,327 copies so far.
Just updated the driver, and now the document count is never reduced after the document is printed. Turn off the printer, turn it back on, and the same documents reprint. I'll assume the queue is never purged. I've tried driver lj017en and lj1200pcl6win2kxp2003-en. same problem. Any ideas why the queue is not purged?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by RJJM4th (3/5/11 9:03 PM) reply + / -
Found the answer here:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com

From the Windows desktop, select Start, Settings then Printers.
Right-click the HP LaserJet 2200 driver icon and click Properties.
Select the Ports tab.
Uncheck the box next to Enable Bidirectional Support.
Click Apply (if applicable).
Click OK to exit the driver properties.

This worked for the 1200 also.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by JuggerTP (3/10/11 12:12 PM) reply + / -
Having troubles with the printer stopping in the middle of a print job. Any clues as to what could be causing this? The printer is not jamming, nor is there anything stuck in it. Could the size of the files I am trying to print cause an error?

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (3/10/11 12:54 PM) reply + / -
You don't give enough information. Does the printer just pause and then continue printing? Do you get any lights on the printer? What type of job are you printing, like PDF files, graphics?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by JuggerTP (3/10/11 2:11 PM) reply + / -
PDF files (tax returns) were what I was printing when the problem occurred. There were no printer jam errors. I had to shut off the printer and restart it. I took out the toner and cleaned it and replaced it. It would work temporarily, but then stop printing.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (3/10/11 4:35 PM) reply + / -
It's possible the file was too complex. Toner cartridges have nothing to do with the issue. You can go into Control Panel/Printers and change the dpi setting on the printer from 1200dpi to 600dpi. That has the effect of quadrupling your memory without any noticeable degradation of print quality, especially if you're printing out text.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by cabinets (3/11/11 7:07 AM) reply + / -
Not sure this printer has a 1200 dpi option. I think it is just 600 and 300.

Also, for longer term help, if you watch a little, you can get a relatively inexpensive memory expansion for this printer on eBay.

Two other possibilities for some help, it has been too long since I've done any reading for this to give any reasons but

There is a job storage setting, maybe setting that to off would help. Also I think some printing issues can be help by changing raster/vector graphics settings - don't know which would be best in this situation.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (3/11/11 3:35 PM) reply + / -
The HP LaserJet 1200 product provides the following benefits.
Print with excellent quality
1200 dots per inch (dpi) printing
PCL-5e, PCL-6, and PostScript (R) Level 2 emulation already installed on the printer
Automatically determines and switches to the appropriate language for the print job
Includes 45 scalable fonts plus 35 PostScript fonts built in

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by cabinets (3/15/11 3:33 PM) reply + / -
Ok, Our IT people must have reduced the capabilities on mine to get it installed on the new operating system. They had a lot of trouble getting it set up properly after we abandoned XP.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Bob Kraft (4/11/11 5:19 PM) reply + / -
Our HP LaserJet 1200 has started to have a problem for which I have not yet found a troubleshooting description. When it starts printing a document, the top of the page is fine but the bottom two thirds is light and blurry and the toner can be wiped off with your finger. The printer keeps re-printing this first page and with each new copy more of the page is correct. After about 6 retries, the complete first page is now more or less normal and it then prints the remaining pages of the document. Even if you start another document immediately after the first one, it goes through the same process. We've replaced the toner cartridge and nothing has changed. Is this a fuser problem and do we need to replace it?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (4/11/11 8:04 PM) reply + / -
The fuser is an instant heat one as opposed to the older style that maintained operating temperature. What's happening is that it doesn't get hot on the first page and heats up gradually in the ensuing pages. I've never seen that particular behavior, but most probable cause would be the fuser assy. and that would be the first thing I would try.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by genegold (4/14/11 9:44 AM) reply + / -
A couple of days ago my trusty old LJ 4M lost its display and started a higher pitched constant whine at the same time. Never even saw an error message. From what I'm told over at HP forums, it's time to move on. Why I'm posting here is that the 1200 potentially looks like the best replacement for my needs, which are as a personal home printer for when I need better quality output (resumes, formal letters) than an ink jet can provide (I have a multifunction Canon Pixma MP640). The current HP 1102 is the other choice in the size and price range, but its ink costs are still high while the 1200 is a proven workhorse.

Assuming that's a reasonable judgment, my question is, beyond what level should I avoid in terms of page count? While lower page count doesn't necessarily mean good care, I assume there's a life cycle to these things, but don't have any idea what it is. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (4/14/11 10:33 AM) reply + / -
The 1200 can't hold a candle to the HP4M. It is a really lightweight printer with a much smaller toner capacity. The paper tray is a joke. The tabs holding it break easily. It's not uncommon to see a book resting under one.
I'd look for a good used HP4000. Not as durable as the old HP4s, but they hold up real well and are twice as fast. Don't think it would survive a fall off the back of a pickup truck like the 4s, but you can easily run hundreds of thousands of copies off of one. They're available for real cheap out there.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by genegold (4/14/11 10:54 AM) reply + / -
Long understood about quality of build, but the 4000 is a monster and weighs 40 lbs. I'm not looking to replicate the 4M in build, I'm looking for smaller size, lighter weight and something that will provide good enough quality with light home usage. Almost every user review of the 1200 I've read calls it a workhorse and said it's lasted well, which is pretty good considering the cheap direction HP went starting with those type of models. It also has manual duplex and a USB port.

So, I come back to my question: unless there's a better choice than the 1200 for my purposes - any brand will do - what should I understand about the its life expectancy and page count in shopping for one? Thanks,

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series connectivity problem by bill talbot (4/14/11 11:17 AM) reply + / -
I have an HP Pavilion laptop. I connect to my HP laserjet 1200 thru my usb ports. I have three ports and at different times I connect to my printer with one of these ports. Recently, I lost connectivity and am unable to print. I've checked my active printer file and noticed I have three Unspecified HP laserjet 1200 printers indicated as follows: (1)HP LaserJet 1200 Series PCL5(Copy1)Printer Status: Deleting-Offline Documents: 1 (2)HP LaserJet 1200 Series PCL5(Copy2)Printer Status: Deleting-Offline Documents: 3 (3)HP LaserJet 1200 Series PCL5(Copy3)Printer Status: Deleting-Offline Documents: 2

I'm sure I've done something dumb and have either lost my printer ports, lost or screwed-up my HP driver or somehow put my printer into an inactive status. Looking for help and will greatly appreciate any suggested fixes.

Thanks

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by cabinets (4/14/11 1:18 PM) reply + / -
I think it is unlikely that one would get "hundreds of thousands of copies" from an LJ1200 (without repairs). I've had 3 fusers go out at 98K, 150-160K, and > 200K. I have also broken 2 of them trying to repair (clean/oil)the scanner units.

If double sided printing is enough of an issue you are looking for it, my opinion would be you ought to check pricing of models that have that feature and compare to pricing for the 1200's.

Windows 7 is also a potential issue.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by genegold (4/14/11 1:48 PM) reply + / -
What's with getting a straight answer? I didn't say anything about hundreds of thousands of copies - most on eBay are in the 15-90k page count - and "also has manual duplex" in a tacked on sentence didn't suggest a big issue for me (actually, USB is much more important, given that parallel ports have been largely relegated to add-on cards). And although I didn't say anything about Win7 - I still use XP - according to HP, the 1200's drivers are included with the operating system (http://h10025.www1.hp.com

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by salsacal (9/20/11 10:21 AM) reply + / -
My hp laserjet 1200 started making a loud high pitch noise a few days ago. The roller at the top of the printer, under the case top, keeps on turning while the printer is on and I am not able to get anything to print out. The green light is not lit but the amber one is. Help, any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by salsacal (9/20/11 10:23 AM) reply + / -
My hp laserjet 1200 started making a loud high pitch noise a few days ago. The roller at the top of the printer, under the case top, keeps on turning while the printer is on and I am not able to get anything to print out. The green light is not lit but the amber one is. Help, any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (9/20/11 4:45 PM) reply + / -
It's kind of hard to troubleshoot noises that you can't hear, but I'm going to guess by your description that it's the laser motor bushing that's dry. You can take the top off the printer (back has to come off first). On top you'll see the scanner assembly. Remove it and take the cover off of it. You'll see the mirrored scanner motor inside. I believe there is a plastic latch that keeps the motor from lifting and you just flip it out of the way and lift the motor up. Apply some synthetic oil very sparingly on the shaft. One or 2 drops otherwise it will fling all the oil around once it spins up.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by shehaam (10/12/11 5:16 AM) reply + / -
My hp psc 1215 says an error occurred communicating with the scanning device. i have tried reinstalling but with no success please help

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by subicdarko (12/24/11 2:45 AM) reply + / -
Hi, i just had a fatal error message on my HP1200. When i press GO i get all lights off. I checked service manual and there`s no such error. Any ideas?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by dmzcompute (12/24/11 8:04 AM) reply + / -
Are you sure all lights go off? One error this printer had which gave a false code was the laser/scanner cable not secure at one end. Only suggestion would be to reseat the ribbon cable at the laser/scanner and at on the formatter. Do the motors turn when turning on the printer? If so try an engine test using the little button switch below the formatter next to the big ribbon cable coming from the main board to the formatter. If the engine test works that would indicate the formatter is bad.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by subicdarko (12/28/11 2:58 AM) reply + / -
Yes. All lights off. But i forgot to mention. This happens immediately after it prints a test page. I tried to change formater, ECU, fuser assembly and laser and it still works the same. Looks like its hopeless. I have no more ideas.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by xyz123456 (1/7/12 12:52 AM) reply + / -
my hp laserjet 1200 driver is updated but when i give command for print its cant be print and also no voice of normal voice when printer start for printing. i m waiting for reply if any person can help me..........

HP LaserJet 1200 Series Not Printing by Mamunk (2/7/12 12:55 PM) reply + / -
Our home HP Laserjet 1200 series suddenly stopped printing. I have windows 7 in my laptop, it printed before thus it may not be windows 7 issue. However, I dd install some windows update few weeks ago.
Meanwhile, if I press the big button on the printer , it prints the testpage. I can see the printer in the "Devides and Printer" folder without any trouble signs. I connect with a USB cable. But when I print anything from my laptop or testpage from the laptop, then it shows an "error" in the staus window.

I am not sure what is going on. The problem also exists with my whife's new laptop with windows 7 (printed before but not printing now).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mamun

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series Not Printing by moe (2/7/12 8:55 PM) reply + / -
Delete and reinstall the printer driver.

Toners full or empty by Franqi (2/26/12 2:28 PM) reply + / -
Hello there,

Somebody gave me a couple of used toners for my hp Laserjet 1200, but I don't know whether they're full, half-full or almost empty.

Does anybody know how I can find out how full a toner is ?

Thanks a lot

Franqi

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (2/26/12 4:51 PM) reply + / -
Weigh it. If you've handled thousands of them, you can just heft it in your hand and tell if it's full or empty.

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Franqi (2/26/12 5:06 PM) reply + / -
I thought of that, but can you tell me the weight of a full and an empty 15A toner cartridge ?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Iftikhar (2/27/12 6:58 AM) reply + / -
I have my printer hp laserjet 1200,when i switched on it , it initilizes for a while and stops ,all lights got on, because i am a hardware engr , i checked the scanner motor,that was jammed and very hard, i tried to give oiling at its shaft ,after that it came soft and move normally but when i switched on the printer ,motor kept moving and did not stop, is there any adjustment to fit it after lubricating. plz guide me

thanks in advance ,Iftikhar Ali

Re: Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (edited 2/27/12 10:48 AM) reply + / -
Full one is 1 lb. 13 oz. or 830 gms.
empty 1 lb. 5 oz. or 585 gms.

Re: Re: Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Franqi (2/27/12 3:13 PM) reply + / -
Thanks a lot.
I have other types of hp toners that I would like to know the full and empty weight of. Is there a site were I can find this ? I tried looking on the hp website but can't find it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by moe (2/27/12 10:40 PM) reply + / -
There is no site that has it. I weighed them on my digital scale.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by cobalt (4/12/12 2:26 PM) reply + / -
Im working on a HP LJ1200. A few months back I swapped in a maintenance kit and new toner cart as it had trouble picking up pages, fusing the toner and the cart was causing ghosting. I must say though its a great printer it went nearly 2x as far as the manual expected for needing a kit as it was over 48k pages.

Move forward a few months the printer squeaks but only when picking up a page. I find the paper pickup roller's bar is rubbing on its mount on the left side of the printer a bit. I give it a drop of 3-in-1 oil and plug it in. Now it wont finish the self test.

It powers on, the motor runs the gear train successfully, but the front panel displays an error, only the lower of the two tiny lights blinks while the other two are off.

I've checked the area around where the oil was set, there isn't anything electronic or mechanical just some structural plastic parts.

Ive run down the list from the manual

Ive checked the door sensor
Ive loaded media into both trays
The toner cart is loaded
The door and cart interlocks seem to be working.
There isn't a paper jam as I had to fix a touchy paper tray sensor yesterday and had it nearly completely apart.

At this point I dunno what else to check. Any ideas?

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by Ivo (2/6/13 12:51 AM) reply + / -
First, the printer was making a terrible noise and wouldn't print. Now, all the lights are on and it will not print.

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by hima (1/15/14 5:36 AM) reply + / -
I face problem on hp laser jet 1200 series printing paper when i print paper from pc or do self test from printer paper printed white i mean no thing print on paper i change cartridge but same problem is that from cartridge or some thing else please any help

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by MDC (3/17/14 1:26 PM) reply + / -
my print jobs appear on the print status as printing but it will not print until I restart my computer and as soon as the windows logo appears it start to print. It happens about 60% of the time.
Even after changing computers and it also happens on others in my home network .

Re: HP LaserJet 1200 Series by emjoshx (7/22/14 7:58 PM) reply + / -
my printer printed just fine. then all of sudden when i tried to print another document...nothing happen. no blinking lights on printer to indicate problem and just put in new ink. when i open the printer status window is states 1 print job in queue and something about paperjam...i can see no paper jam & took the back off too & see no problem but no matter what i do the document wont print. help please as the document is vitally important & time sensitive.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters