fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

LaserJet 2100 cleaning?

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

LaserJet 2100 cleaning? by bizzybody (1/25/12 3:56 PM) reply + / -
I put a new, sealed, genuine HP 4096A cartridge in my LaserJet 2100tn and I'm still getting a grey background, a shadow copy of the top of the page on the bottom and text mostly has a white "glow" around it. I also get a grey band on the *back side* near the top of each page.

What's wrong with my printer?

I replaced the toner because the old cartridge was doing the same, but much worse and mostly on one side of the page.

Re: LaserJet 2100 cleaning? by dmzcompute (1/25/12 4:21 PM) reply + / -
Probably still the toner cartridge. Do a half test. Put a sheet of paper on the manual fold down tray and press the button for a self test. When the back edge enters the printer, quickly open the toner door to stop printing. Now remove the toner cartridge and look at the image below. If the defect is present the toner cartridge and nothing else is the issue. The cartridge may be new sealed but depending on when it was made it could be way past it's useful date.

Re: LaserJet 2100 cleaning? by bizzybody (1/25/12 4:53 PM) reply + / -
Is there some type of self cleaning commands for the 2100 like there is for the Color LaserJet 2500?

With that printer, there are two PRN files which can be sent to the printer from a command prompt. One prints a special cleaning page, the other sends the commands to the printer to use the cleaning page. That got rid of the horizontal stripes on my 2500.

Re: LaserJet 2100 cleaning? by dmzcompute (1/25/12 9:09 PM) reply + / -
No there is not. Did you do what I told you to do? It really gets tiring when we give advice and tell you what you do and all you do is come back with more questions not telling us if you did what you were told to do. As I said before odds are the toner cartridge is bad. If you do not want to do the test then post your question some place else.

Re: LaserJet 2100 cleaning? by bizzybody (edited 3/24/12 3:02 AM) reply + / -
HP Support document

HP LaserJet 2100 Series Printers - Cleaning the Paper Path

During the printing process, paper, toner, and dust particles can accumulate inside the printer. Over time, this buildup can cause print quality problems such as toner specks or smearing. Cleaning the paper path can correct and prevent these types of problems.
The engine cleaning process uses copier-grade paper from Tray 2 to remove dust and toner from the paper path. Use this process if you are experiencing toner specks or dots on printouts. This process will provide a blank page which should be discarded.

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and in the ready state. Make sure there is paper loaded in Tray 2.
2. Press and hold the Go and Job Cancel buttons until all lights flash. This will take about 10 seconds. Release the buttons when the lights flash.
3. Press the Go button. A page will slowly pass through the paper path.
4. Discard the blank page produced from the engine cleaning process.
5. The engine has now been cleaned. Perform a test print to verify the absence of toner specks or dots.

HP LaserJet 2100 Series Printers - Cleaning the Toner Cartridge Drum
During the printing process, paper, toner and dust particles can accumulate inside the printer. Over time, this buildup can cause print quality problems such as toner specks or smearing. Cleaning the toner cartridge drum can correct and prevent these types of problems.
This process cleans the drum inside the toner cartridge. Use this process if you are experiencing blurred, faded, or smeared printouts. This process will take about 10 minutes.
NOTE: Make sure the toner cartridge is not empty when using the toner cartridge cleaning. A near empty toner cartridge may also cause print defects. This 10-minute process consumes toner and if used often can reduce toner cartridge life.

1. Make sure the printer is turned on, make certain paper loaded in the paper tray(s), and in the ready state.
2. Press and hold the Go and Job Cancel buttons until all lights flash. This will take about 10 seconds. Release the buttons when the lights flash.
3. Press the Job Cancel button.

NOTE: The cartridge cleaning process takes about 10 minutes. To stop the toner cartridge cleaning process, turn the printer off.

Re: Re: LaserJet 2100 cleaning? by moe (3/24/12 1:56 PM) reply + / -
IMHO, this is about as effective as waving a magic wand over the printer.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters