fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP 4200 Random jams in tray 2 and 3,

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP 4200 Random jams in tray 2 and 3, by mylesm (1/11/11 9:41 AM) reply + / -
HP 4200TN

The printer is experiencing the "no pickup" jam in tray 2 AND 3 at random times.

- I've changed the sep rollers as well as the pickup rollers in both trays 2 and 3, didn't help

- I tried replacing the tray 3 drawer AND tray with a KNOWN good tray, didn't help.

-I tried using paper from a different source, and no the paper is not damp.

If you send 50 print jobs, 1-2 pages each to the printer, about 5 of them will cause a jam.

Sometimes when you open the tray, the paper is still sitting perfectly undisturbed with a slight tire mark on it where the pick-up roller tried to pick it up.

Other times, the paper ALMOST made it into the feed rollers above the tray, but not quite.

What could cause this issue in both tray 2 AND tray 3?

It's as if the pickup-swing arms are running slower for some reason.

Re: HP 4200 Random jams in tray 2 and 3, by dmzcompute (1/11/11 4:52 PM) reply + / -
Are these new well stored pickup rollers. I have seen instances where rollers were kept in a vehicle during warm and cold weather which destroyed the pickup properties of the rollers. Sometimes I have seen a sort of brownish film over them. You need to get yourself a good set of pickup rollers and what you describe would only happen if the rollers are not good. Also if the printer has been well used the white pickup roller in the back of the blue roller sometimes needs to be replaced and is not usually included in maintenance kits. Also check the backstop of the tray to make sure it is not one click forward of the paper size line as that will make the paper a bit tight and hard to pick from the tray. Hope some of this helps. Good Luck.

Re: HP 4200 Random jams in tray 2 and 3, by mylesm (1/12/11 8:42 AM) reply + / -
I replaced both the pickup (white in the back with drive gear) and separation (blue, one in tray and one in front of white pickup roller).

The printer was doing this before I arrived, and the old rollers didn't look that bad. I replaced them with new rollers, ran some test pages, and left. The customer called me back complaining of the same problem.

When I returned, I brought with me a tray and drawer that I had tested earlier that morning with more than 150 pages.

When I installed the tray and drawer on the customer's printer, on about the 6th page, the problem happened again.

The pickup rollers and Sep rollers were the same rollers that I had tested the tray and drawer with earlier that morning.

Needless to say, I've already exhausted all the regular issues, this one's got me stumped. I suspect a weak electrical signal from the DC controller board to the pickup solenoids, but it's not very economical to diagnose.

I even took a straight edge to the table the printer was sitting on, wondering if perhaps the table wasn't true, sure enough, it is, all 4 rubber feet on the lower tray are on the table as well.

Re: HP 4200 Random jams in tray 2 and 3, by moe (1/12/11 9:32 AM) reply + / -
Only thing I can suggest is to watch the behavior of the rollers through the opening at the back of the tray. I've figured out a lot of problems by doing so.

Re: HP 4200 Random jams in tray 2 and 3, by Stephen (1/12/11 10:57 AM) reply + / -
If there is a "Tire Mark" on the paper then the solenoid picked.

Re: HP 4200 Random jams in tray 2 and 3, by richman (4/14/11 1:45 PM) reply + / -
I've recently had one of these come in as well. Same problem out of tray 2, randomly, new rollers. Watching from the rear, usually the pick up roller rotates, along with the sep roller. Sometimes the sep roller is spinning, the pickup roller doesn't move, and the machine errors out 13.01...never had this before, and it's a very common series...

Re: HP 4200 Random jams in tray 2 and 3, by richman (4/14/11 1:54 PM) reply + / -
Maybe the small gear assembly between pickup and sep rollers? It looks fine, however, clips are in place.

Re: HP 4200 Random jams in tray 2 and 3, by laserphil (4/19/11 1:21 PM) reply + / -
intermittent pickup problem from tray 2 can be the pickup drive assy
i've had a few of these,
the roller doesn't rotate intermittently and shows jam in tray 2 error.
can't see whats wrong with the drive assy. but replacing it has fixed the problem.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters