fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP P4014 formatter model changing

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP P4014 formatter model changing by Dane Transue (8/3/10 8:48 PM) reply + / -
I installed a refurbished HP CB4308-69001 formatter in a P4515N printer today and the configuration now prints as a P4014N. I called HP and was told they could send me an RFU file to rename the printer to it's correct model. The only thing I had to produce was a proof of purchase from HP. I purchased the formatter from an aftermarket company. Does anyone know how to rename the formatter back to the model I have placed it in?

Re: HP P4014 formatter model changing by Sharpie (8/5/10 6:14 AM) reply + / -
Most of these newer models you when installing a replacement formatter you need to turn the machine on & wait 5 minutes after it reaches the ready state. Then turn the machine off and back on, after reaching the ready state wait 5 more minutes & it should be ready.

This allows the NVRAM to copy all the info from the DC controller to the formatter. If it gets interrupted then the machine reverts the a low base model. My boss went to replace a DC controller in a 4350n & I warned him about waiting 5 minutes, etc but he didn't listen & rebooted it early which converted the machine to a 4250 base model with no network. We just added a jetdirect in but never called HP asking about it.

I think what HP is asking is the proof of purchase of the machine & not the formatter. I don't know off hand of how to change back, don't see anything in the service manual about it. It's not only renamed to a P4014 but will perform like one too, slower speed, etc. Might be a way with another P4515 to get the info copied from that one but never tried it. I think the DC controller is the master & formatter is the slave as far as NVRAM data goes.

Re: HP P4014 formatter model changing by Sharpie (8/5/10 6:35 AM) reply + / -
On Parts Now website (need membership access to view) I found a document on the 4350/4250 formatter replacement that talks about what to do with a used formatter board:

If you install a replacement formatter, please complete the following steps to ensure a proper formatter installation:
Perform an NVRAM initialization.
Then use the control-panel display to open the service menu and specify the total page count, the maintenance count, the service ID, the cold reset paper size, and the serial number.
Reset the printer display language to the customer's choice.

This might work if you took the 4014 board to a 4515 & did a NVRAM reset on the 4515 (just get the config. page printed first to just in case). Not sure if you need to do the 5 minute/5 minute wait after this before moving the formatter back over or not.

Re: HP P4014 formatter model changing by Dane Transue (8/5/10 1:41 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Sharpie. I tried HP a day later and this time they sent me an rfu file. This worked great. I am going to install another refurbed formatter in a day or two so I will try the NVRAM initialization if I need to rename the formatter. I will let you know the results. Thanks again.

Re: HP P4014 formatter model changing by moe (8/5/10 2:00 PM) reply + / -
Don't know why you're replacing the formatters, but I fixed my first P4014 the other day by baking it. That doesn't affect the data and is probably a lot cheaper and easier than replacing with a refurbed one. I use the baking procedure for all the newer formatter boards in lieu of replacement.

Re: HP P4014 formatter model changing by dmzcompute (8/5/10 3:26 PM) reply + / -
The only way to change the model number is with that file from hp. NVRAM, service menu, etc will not help with the model numbers. It sometimes happens with a brand new formatter from hp even with waiting the full 5 minutes, etc. Had one once and tech support at hp had no idea why the model changed.

Re: HP P4014 formatter model changing by Dane Transue (8/5/10 8:46 PM) reply + / -
You are correct David. The NVRAM initialization does not solve the problem. The file was the cure for the second board. Problem solved. Thanks again.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters