fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

hp laserjet 4700

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

hp laserjet 4700 by stobby2 (9/30/09 10:20 AM) reply + / -
Hi Guys
Problem with 4700 when switched on it goes through memory count to 256mb and thats it!!! will not go further will not initialise or calibrate. Never has this problem. Any ideas
roger

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by rohmell (9/30/09 2:08 PM) reply + / -
Maybe is is waiting and looking for more memory that it thinks is there, but can't find it.
Did you try reseating the memory modules

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by stobby2 (9/30/09 11:39 PM) reply + / -
many thanks for that
new machine to me where is the memory located on this model
cheers
roger

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by aerolaser (10/1/09 7:56 AM) reply + / -
Several places to start. If the control panel display remains blank, random patterns display, or
asterisks remain on the control panel display, perform power-on checks to locate the cause of the
problem. During normal operation, the main cooling fan begins to spin briefly after the printer power is turned on. Place your hand over the holes in the rear cover, above the formatter. If the fan is operating, you will feel air passing out of the printer. You can also lean close to the printer and hear the fan operating. When this fan is operational, the DC side of the power supply is functioning correctly. After the fan is operating, the main motor turns on (unless the top cover is open, a jam condition is sensed, or the paper-path sensors are damaged). You should be able to visually and audibly determine if the main motor is turned on. If the fan and main motor are operating correctly, the next troubleshooting step is to isolate print engine, formatter, and control panel problems. Perform an engine test (see Engine test below). If the formatter is damaged, it might interfere with the engine test. If the engine test page does not print, try removing the formatter and then performing the engine test again. If the engine test is then successful, the problem is almost certainly with the formatter, the control panel, or the cable that connects them. If the control panel is blank when you turn on the printer, check the following items.
1.Make sure that the printer is plugged directly into an active electrical outlet (not a power strip)
that delivers the correct voltage. 2.Make sure that the power switch is in the on position. 3.Make sure that the fan runs briefly, which indicates that the power supply is operational. 4.Make sure that the control panel display wire harness is connected. 5.Make sure that the firmware flash memory card and the formatter are seated and operating correctly.
6. Remove any HP Jetdirect or other EIO cards, and then try to turn the printer on again.
To verify that the printer engine is functioning, print an engine test page. Use a small pointed object to depress the test page switch located on the rear of the printer, (Top right of second set of vent holes on rear of machine as viewed from rear). The test page should have a series of horizontal lines. The test page can use only Tray 2 as the paper source, so make sure that paper is loaded in Tray 2.
A cold reset unlocks menus that have been locked and resets control panel variables. However, it
does not clear the values in the SERVICE menu (such as the serial number and page counts).
To perform a cold reset
Warning! Performing a cold reset erases all of the EIO card information.
1.Turn the printer on. 2.As the printer performs its power-on sequence, press and hold the check mark key until all three lights on the control panel are lit. 3.When Select Languages displays on the control panel, press the up arrow key until Cold Reset displays on the control panel. 4.Press the check mark key. The printer performs a cold reset and then continues its power-on sequence.
This info was extracted from the hp 4700 service manual and we accept no responability for any inaccuracies or problems arrising from the use of such information passed along.

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by jonathan wright (10/20/09 6:48 AM) reply + / -

Got a similar problem in that the printer starts up then begins to calibrate then stays in calibration mode, can't get it to do anything. Have checked the toners and cleaned it but still no joy.

Would a cold reset help?

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by Stephen (10/20/09 10:25 AM) reply + / -
It might, and it does not cost anything to try, .

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by stobby2 (10/20/09 10:56 AM) reply + / -
cured the problem with my machine. Removed the formatter board and desoldered the battery left for a few minutes, refitted battery and machine fired up fine, just had to reset clock etc. Worth a try, only takes a couple of minutes
rog

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by novy (12/2/09 7:33 PM) reply + / -
i have the same problem at this time, i have try replacing the firmware compact flash card with no succes after reseeting mem. cards,will try aerolaser solution and keep you guys posted on that

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by garyp53161 (1/13/10 5:28 PM) reply + / -
I am trying to fix a 4700 right now with a blank lcd

The only thing that I have not replaced because HP shipped us a 220volt low voltage power supply, instead of a 100 volt...

I have no heartbeat or cat5 lights on the formater...because it isnt getting power.

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by novy (1/22/10 2:07 PM) reply + / -
Good New!! i tried "stobby2" solution, taking out formatter and unsolder one end of the battery and leave it "off" for a minute and resolder the terminal and machine power-up fine.In my case power on was fine,machine was locking-up after memory check, heartbeat light was out and yet fuser got its temp. up.Engine test work (smal hole on the back)

"""CAUTION""""NO MANUFACTURER RECOMMEND SOLDER OR DESOLDER ANY RECHARDABLE BATTERY AS HEAT MAY PROVOKE EXPLOSION, SO BE AWARE AND PROTECT YOURSELF
many thanks to stobby2

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by novy (1/22/10 2:08 PM) reply + / -
Good New!! i tried "stobby2" solution, taking out formatter and unsolder one end of the battery and leave it "off" for a minute and resolder the terminal and machine power-up fine.In my case power on was fine,machine was locking-up after memory check, heartbeat light was out and yet fuser got its temp. up.Engine test work (smal hole on the back)

"""CAUTION""""NO MANUFACTURER RECOMMEND SOLDER OR DESOLDER ANY RECHARDABLE BATTERY AS HEAT MAY PROVOKE EXPLOSION, SO BE AWARE AND PROTECT YOURSELF
many thanks to stobby2

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by stobby2 (1/23/10 12:50 AM) reply + / -
Glad l could help, but re comment on desoldering rechargeable batteries. These are BUTTON BATTERIES installed on PCBs. This is perfectly safe so long as it is done correctly. common fault where Batteries fail and need replacing and quite often these batteries are soldered in hence have to be desoldered to be replaced.
roger

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by Jmoney (12/18/10 3:37 PM) reply + / -
have a hp laserjet printer will not start up, I moved it from one end of the table to the other and it did not start up again.need some assistance.

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by stobby2 (12/19/10 5:36 AM) reply + / -
is there any power? any display? any motor noises. If you can give a bit more info l may be able to assist
rog

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by moe (12/19/10 8:42 AM) reply + / -
Make sure the power cord is securely plugged into the printer.

hp laserjet 4700 dn by hpr (1/24/11 6:53 AM) reply + / -
My word documents will not print unless I press the green button (check mark) several times.

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by Stephen (1/24/11 10:31 AM) reply + / -
What messages are displayed on the Operator Panel?

Re: hp laserjet 4700 by NLCITSupport (2/7/12 3:29 AM) reply + / -
De soldering the battery worked for us to! As before it stayed on the 256MB ******** Screen.

Thanks

HP laserjet 4700 stapler option, doesn't work by CKay (4/16/12 11:21 AM) reply + / -
Any suggestions! I am not sure what have been tried already.
Thanks Ckay

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters