fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

No power on HP 1200

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

No power on HP 1200 by opserc (9/4/09 11:56 AM) reply + / -
I have a hp 1200 printer that just lost power. It was working fine and then when I plugged the usb into my laptop the printer just lost all power. Is there a fuse that possibly is bad? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: No power on HP 1200 by moe (9/4/09 1:57 PM) reply + / -
What about if you disconnect it from the laptop?

Re: No power on HP 1200 by Anonymous (9/6/09 9:48 AM) reply + / -
Even after disconnecting the laptop it's still dead. I tried leaving it unplugged for a day and then plugging it back in and still no power.

Re: No power on HP 1200 by dmzcompute (9/6/09 10:06 AM) reply + / -
do not remember this unit having a fuse on the main board, but it is possible, but then again never heard of fixing a main board by replacing the fuse and it is always something else. The main board is located behind the back cover which is very easy to remove after removing the side covers.

Re: No power on HP 1200 by opserc (9/6/09 5:24 PM) reply + / -
I'm guess I'm hoping it could be as simple as a fuse. I'll work on getting to the main board. If there is no fuse, is it worth trying to get it fixed, or just buy a new one.

Re: No power on HP 1200 by rohmell (9/6/09 5:39 PM) reply + / -
The main board can be found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com
I don't know if it is worth it to you to fix it or buy a new printer.

Re: No power on HP 1200 by opserc (edited 9/6/09 6:06 PM) reply + / -
Thanks. It actually looks like there might be a fuse (in the upper right hand corner in the picture on the link). I'll check it when I get to the board. Is there anything else besides the main board that would cause a total power loss that you can think of? Any documentation you can direct me to for removig the panels?

Re: No power on HP 1200 by moe (9/6/09 8:44 PM) reply + / -
If it's a blown fuse, it would be the first time. I've seen lots of bad boards, but all the fuses were always good. Not to discourage you checking it, but don't want to build up your hope. That board comes off from the bottom of the printer. You do have to take the back cover off to access the connectors and there are a lot of those. They will only go back into their mating connector on the board, so don't worry about keeping track of them.

Re: No power on HP 1200 by opserc (edited 9/7/09 12:26 PM) reply + / -
I removed the board and of course the fuse was good. Before I purchase a new board, is there anything else besides the main board that would cause a total power loss that you can think of?

Re: No power on HP 1200 by Anonymous (9/17/09 4:04 PM) reply + / -
I tried a new main board with no success. Is there anything else any one can think of?

Re: No power on HP 1200 by moe (9/17/09 5:00 PM) reply + / -
That board on the bottom supplies all the power that operates everything in the printer. Only other possibility is that the formatter board shorted out and is dragging down the main board. That board is mounted on the side of the printer.

Re: No power on HP 1200 by Anonymous (9/21/09 3:29 PM) reply + / -
Well, I feel a little embarrassed and it pains me to say that the problem was a bad AC cord. Not sure exactly how it went bad, but a new cord and power is back. The problem now is that nothing prints. I looked at all the plugs and believe everything is plugged correctly but nothing. The big control panel light and the top small light are green. The bottom control panel light is orange. Is there a “main” thing this might indicate?

Re: No power on HP 1200 by moe (9/21/09 4:13 PM) reply + / -
Since you did replace the main board, it has become impossible to diagnose remotely. I'm assuming the board came from eBay, so there is a high likelihood that it is bad, like a lot of stuff sold on eBay. Then, there are all the connectors on the board. Anyone of them could have been installed improperly. Good luck.

Re: No power on HP 1200 by opserc (9/21/09 4:42 PM) reply + / -
True, it was an ebay special. I guess I'll check all the plugs again and verify everything is plugged correctly. If it is still bad, I will probably try putting the old one back in. Thanks for all your assistance.

Re: No power on HP 1200 by cabinets (9/22/09 7:48 AM) reply + / -
There is a line for the service manual for an LJ1200 in the reference section. You could see if that has a list of error light patterns in it that would help in isolating your problem.

Re: No power on HP 1200 by cabinets (9/22/09 8:04 AM) reply + / -
I thought there was a thread somewhere that discussed error lights but I can't find it at the moment.

If your lights are staying on solid, this thread suggests a next analysis step:

https://secure.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/48196#4

Re: No power on HP 1200 by Anonymous (9/29/09 5:41 PM) reply + / -
Just a final update. I rechecked all the plugs, made sure everything was shut correctly and like magic it's working again. Once again, thank you all for the help.

Re: No power on HP 1200 by rohmell (9/30/09 4:40 AM) reply + / -
Are you using the original board, or the replacement one that you bought?

Re: No power on HP 1200 by opserc (9/30/09 12:34 PM) reply + / -
I'm using the replacement board.

Re: No power on HP 1200 by rohmell (9/30/09 2:03 PM) reply + / -
Well, at least you know that the seller of the replacement board was honest in selling you a working board.
If you are really the adventurous type, you could try putting in the original board and see if everything works with that one as well.

Re: No power on HP 1200 by Anonymous (10/1/09 8:07 AM) reply + / -
I have thought of it. If I have the time I might.

Re: No power on HP 1200 by Anonymous (10/1/09 8:21 AM) reply + / -
Seems like a lot of unnecessary work with a good chance of rendering the printer inoperable again.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters