fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray 3

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray 3 by helenozee (7/21/08 11:52 PM) reply + / -
From the paper path test in the information menu item, I was able to print from trays 2 and 3 by specifying them. However the configuration page and any other printing will only come from tray 1. It does a paper jam error and will NOT draw from trays 2 or 3. I did a cold reset. If it will print out the paper path tests out of 2 and 3, why won't it print anything else? Trays 2 and 3 are both set to letter, which is what's installed. Help, please!

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray 3 by dmzcompute (7/22/08 5:22 AM) reply + / -
Since what you say makes no sense whatsoever, what is the message on the menu when it jams? Also where is the paper when it jams ie still in the tray, 1 inch out of tray, halfway up the feed channel, etc?

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray by helenozee (7/22/08 7:56 AM) reply + / -
When I go to print something, it says processing job from tray 1. Well, I don't have any paper in tray 1, but I do have paper in tray 2 and tray 3. It tries and tries to pull from tray 1, then has a message that says 13.1 paper jam, open input trays, then open and close top cover.

My ex-husband bought the kit and did the maintenance on it several years ago, and after that whenever it would run out of paper in the middle of a print job, it would give that message. I add paper, open and close the top cover, and it goes back to printing.

I don't want to print out of tray 1...it takes too long and doesn't hold enough paper. What can I do to get it to print out of tray 2 or tray 3? It obviously CAN, because it printed a sheet out of each on the paper path test (albeit noisily...groaning!)

Hopefully THIS does make sense. No paper goes anywhere...nothing is actually "jammed"...it's just that it's telling me in its own language that it has no paper.

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray 3 by moe (7/22/08 8:10 AM) reply + / -
It would seem that the paper sensor for tray 1 is constantly actuated, making the printer think that there is always paper in the tray. The way it is done is there is a black plastic flag that hangs down over on the left side. Further to the left is an optical sensor. It is a U shaped piece of black plastic. If the flag is not between the 2 poles of the sensor, the tray thinks there is paper in it. You can visually check it to see if it is blocked or not. If you don't want to use tray 1, you can wad up a piece of paper and shove it into the sensor. The printer will no longer see tray 1.

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray by helenozee (7/22/08 9:13 AM) reply + / -
Thank you, Moe! I will give this a try. Where do I find these parts? Do I take off the left side of the printer or is this something I can get to from the open tray?

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray 3 by moe (7/22/08 11:01 AM) reply + / -
When you lower the MF tray, all of it is visible. You don't have to take anything apart, just follow my directions.

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray by helenozee (7/22/08 5:14 PM) reply + / -
Okay, I opened tray 1, and there's a black roller looking thing with flags that hang down on either side. The flag on the left is directly over a U-shaped piece of plastic that has shiny metal pieces on top of each side. I don't see anything U-shaped further left than the flag. The flag looks as if it should fall into that U-shape when I close the tray door, but it doesn't seem to fall in there. Am I looking in the wrong place? Sorry to be such a pain. I tried putting a piece of wadded paper in that U-shape and it still wanted to print from tray 1.

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray 3 by moe (7/22/08 5:28 PM) reply + / -
That would be your problem. That sensor has to have something in it or it will think there is paper in the tray. Now follow my advice and jam some paper in there. If you need to print from the MF tray, remove the paper. You'll still probably need the roller kits as the groaning sound is a precursor to not picking up the paper.

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray 3 by Stephen (7/22/08 6:30 PM) reply + / -
The flag falls into the U when the front is open.

When the front is closed a piece of plastic on the front cover sticks into the U.

When you print a configuration page it should list the size and type paper installed in trays 2 & 3, what type is listed?

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray by helenozee (7/22/08 6:39 PM) reply + / -
Aha...thank you. The wad of paper did not work. Both are listed as letter, which is what is in there.

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray 3 by Stephen (7/22/08 6:42 PM) reply + / -
Letter is the size, what is the type?

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray by helenozee (7/22/08 6:45 PM) reply + / -
The piece of plastic on the front cover is intact and is going into the U, but still it will only attempt to print from Tray 1. Would new rollers do anything about this? Can't imagine how, especially since it printed from 2 and 3 on the paper path test. I'm getting pretty frustrated...

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray by helenozee (7/22/08 6:48 PM) reply + / -
I don't see "type". Under Paper Trays and Options, it says

Mopier = OFF
Default Paper Size: LETTER
Tray 2 (LETTER)
Tray 3 (LETTER)
Duplex Unit

I hope this will post...I had to type it again because the site wouldn't let me post so soon after posting.

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray 3 by Stephen (7/22/08 6:49 PM) reply + / -
The rollers will not fix the problem.

After the problem is resolved you can check the rollers for wear and order more if they are needed.

Now please tell me what the printer thinks the paper type is, (plain, bond, letterhead, etc.).

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray by helenozee (7/22/08 6:52 PM) reply + / -
Okay, not on config page, but I found in menu it says plain on 2 and 3 and first on tray 1

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray 3 by Stephen (7/22/08 7:01 PM) reply + / -
Plain is what it should be.

The sensor that tells it paper is in tray 1 might be bad. (saying that paper is in the tray when it is empty)

Lets try and prove it, change tray 1 mode to casette, and make the type legal and then try and print. When the tray is set up that way even if the printer thinks paper is in it the size will be wrong and it should try to take paper from another tray.

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray by helenozee (7/22/08 7:08 PM) reply + / -
It says tray 1 load plain legal, not taking from 2 or 3

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray by helenozee (7/22/08 8:00 PM) reply + / -
I think I'm giving up and ordering an HP 3005dn for $350. Anybody want to buy a used 4000t that needs maintenance?

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray 3 by dmzcompute (7/22/08 9:04 PM) reply + / -
Hold on here. If the message you are getting is tray 1 load plain legal it means the job being sent to the printer is asking to legal paper. Lets try something. On the printer go to the information menu and then go to the second item which is the configuration page and select it to print. What happens. Tell us if it prints and if it does not what does the menu say?

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray by helenozee (7/22/08 10:06 PM) reply + / -
If I ask it to print configuration page, it tries to print it out of tray 1. Since there is no paper in tray 1, it tries and tries, then gives me a 13.1 message of a paper jam until I put paper in tray 1. The reason it's asking for legal is because Stephen (above) told me to change it to cassette and legal, which I did. When I tried to print something, it did not print out of 2 or 3, it just said to load legal in tray 1. This is just really frustrating because I'm not a printer mechanic, and it's taking time away from what I really do for a living! I've spent probably 3 - 4 hours already trying to get this thing to work right. The local printer repair place told me it would be 200 and some dollars for the maintenance kit and $89 per hour labor. For $350 I can just buy a new printer. It takes way too long to print out of tray 1, and it doesn't hold much paper so I have to keep reloading. I was hoping to find an easy fix on here, but apparently there's not. I'm truly at my wit's end here.

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray 3 by dmzcompute (7/23/08 4:59 AM) reply + / -
There is a sensor flag on the left side (actually in the center with the left side of the rod being another flag) which either opens or closes the light sensor on the left just inside the printer to tell if paper is in the tray or not. The flag intercepting or preventing the light beam tell the printer no paper is present. Also what happens if you just close the manaul tray door as there is a protusion on the door that intercepts that sensor when the door is closed as the flags lift up when the door is closed. If with the front door closed it works then you need to reseat or repalce that flag assembly which is part of the piece which clips onto the rod going accross. If it stills does not work with the door closed then you may have major issues and a repair shop may be necessary.

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray 3 by moe (7/23/08 11:40 AM) reply + / -
You definitely don't want to take it to the repair shop you cited. There is exactly 0% chance that a maintenance kit will fix the problem. Anyone who would even suggest that is quite obviously incompetent, a crooked shop or both.
I really don't understand why the printer is still seeing the MF tray. If you stuck the wad of paper properly into that sensor, then the tray would not be seen. Those sensors never go bad.
Did you follow Stephen's suggestion of changing the MF tray to cassette in the config menu? You have to press SELECT afterwards to save it as the default. If the tray is set to cassette, then it won't look for paper there.

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray by helenozee (7/23/08 12:38 PM) reply + / -
Yes, I did do that, and it asked me to load legal paper into tray 1. I called the shop when I got the maintenance message, and that is what they told me to do maintenance. After I looked up on this site how to clear the maintenance message on the screen, then I realized it would only print from tray 1. I haven't called for an estimage on that. I've been using it and only printing from tray 1, but it's a total pain. I thought maybe it would be a simple matter of selecting the right menu items. I'm not really competent to repair my own printer. I stuck the paper in the sensor, and that didn't work. I work 60 to 70 hours a week, and I really don't have any more time to mess with this. I appreciate everyone's helpful hints. I live in Las Vegas. If anyone lives locally and wants to try to repair this for me, I would appreciate it. It apparently still needs maintenance though, and I'm not willing to put $300 into maintenance on a 10-year-old printer.

Thanks for your concern!

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray 3 by Stephen (7/23/08 7:13 PM) reply + / -
When it asks for plain legal in tray 1 you can try pushing the green button and seeing if the message changes.

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray by helenozee (7/23/08 8:26 PM) reply + / -
Okay, I did. It says use plain letter instead? I pushed the green button again, and it said processing from tray 1, then 13.1 paper jam. Mind you, there is paper in trays 2 and 3.

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray 3 by dmzcompute (7/24/08 5:30 AM) reply + / -
Remove the left side cover and make sure the little purple wires that connect on that side to the tray or the input on the main board has not come loose.

Re: HP 4000T won't pull paper from tray 2 or tray by helenozee (7/24/08 7:47 AM) reply + / -
I saw something about the purple wire on this site a couple weeks ago and did that at that time. It seemed to be secure.

I have a question though. I started to order the 3005dn last night (HP), and then realized it said requirements and listed a bunch of Windows and Mac operating systems. Will my old DOS computer run that printer?

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters