fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Envelope Wrinkles - Ricoh C811DN Color Laser Prntr

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Envelope Wrinkles - Ricoh C811DN Color Laser Prntr by Sam Ash (2/16/08 1:30 AM) reply + / -
I am actually having problems printing on envelopes on our C811DN, the smaller envelopes (DL size) seem to just about work but larger A4 or B4 envelopes get wrinkled when they come out of the printer.

Our local Ricoh based authorised technicians are looking into the problem but have not been able to come up with a credible solution. However, a local senior Ricoh technician mentioned the fact that the problem is not due to the serpentine path that the paper goes through, the wrinkle is being caused by the fuser unit.

Have a look at this link on the internet: http://www.partsnow.com/service_today/1004.asp

I'm really stuck with this problem and I’ll really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on how to solve this problem. Surely, a solution must exist to solve this glitch – even if it means manually tweaking the fuser rollers a bit just to make it work ?

Apparently there is no toggle lever on this machine to reduce or adjust the roller pressure in the fuser but I'm sure something can be done.

I have invested allot of money in this big color tabloid sized printer and need it to work.

Any help will be appreciated

Sam

Re: Envelope Wrinkles - Ricoh C811DN Color Laser Prntr by apost (2/16/08 8:12 AM) reply + / -
have a few of these in the field, have you selected from the printer properties menu for envelopes? Keep in mind that an envelope can be as much as three sheets of paper running through the printer at one time. www.p4photel.com

Printer setup
Select [Paper Input] [Paper Type: Bypass Tray ]
[Envelope].
Printer driver setup Select [Envelope Settings] in [Paper Type].
Supported paper feeding tray Bypass tray

Cautions:

• Make sure paper is not stacked higher than
the paper guides inside the bypass tray.
Duplex printing Not supported
Envelope setup
Default: [Envelope 1]
If the print quality needs to be improved, select a
paper type that is appropriate for the thickness of
the envelope you are using. Select [Maintenance]
[General Settings] [Envelope Setting] [Envelope
1] to [Envelope 3].
High numbered settings allow thicker paper to be
used, but are printed more slowly.
Additional cautions
• Load envelopes with the print side down, and
the open end of the envelope facing out from
the printer.
• When printing on envelopes, set the envelope
size using the printer driver or control panel.
See p.110 "Loading custom size paper" for
details.
• Before loading envelopes, remove any air inside
and make sure all edges are sharply
creased. If envelopes are curled, straighten
them before loading.
• If envelopes are curled when they are output,
straighten them by rubbing.
• Depending on the printing environment, envelopes
may be output with the edges wrinkled,
with toner marks on the back, or blurred.
In addition, when printing solid black areas,
streaks may appear where two envelopes
touch.
• Depending on the type of envelope or printing
environment, envelopes might be output
creased or printed improperly. In such cases,
try changing the loading orientation.

Re: Envelope Wrinkles - Ricoh C811DN Color Laser P by Sam Ash (2/16/08 7:47 PM) reply + / -
Thank you very much for your suggestions, although we have tried all the things you've said, I'll go over it again and let you know if it works.

However, bear in mind, the problem that we are having is that out bigger letter plus-sized envelopes are coming out wrinkled and it happens in almost the same places (at the end near the envelope flap which is the end that comes out last). We are not able to change the orientation as the envelopes are too big.

We were having the same problem with smaller envelopes but managed to solve it by manually pressing them flat before inserting them into the printer via the bypass tray. This technique is not working with the larger envelopes.

The ricoh technician has attributed the problem to the rollers in the fuser unit, he says there is no way to loosen the tension between the 2 rollers in the fusing section. I still not convinced, there should be a way to achieve this manually.

I don't mind the fuser unit being adjusted for envelopes even if it means not being able to print on plain paper.

I surprised that such a well established and technologically advanced company like Ricoh has not made more profound allowances for such needs. Other major brands seem to have this ability.

Any suggestions ?

Re: Envelope Wrinkles - Ricoh C811DN Color Laser Prntr by patk5 (4/29/08 3:42 PM) reply + / -
We have the same problem with our Ricoh 811. I've found that using a thin or special setting seems to help more than the thicker settings. Probably because the paper doesn't heat up as much. Some papers wrinkle more than others.

I'm still looking for a solution that works on more types of stock.

Re: Envelope Wrinkles - Ricoh C811DN Color Laser P by Sam Ash (4/29/08 11:00 PM) reply + / -
Apparently, we have tried everything with all the settings available but have not found a solution that works properly. As you said, one setting may be slightly better than the other but the problem still persists. Envelopes will still get wrinkles.

Although, we bought the Ricoh C811DN for printing stationary (mainly envelopes) we have found it is not working, we are now using the printer for alternative purposes.

Re: Envelope Wrinkles - Ricoh C811DN Color Laser Prntr by MikeisGreat (9/24/09 2:02 PM) reply + / -
Is there plastic on the envelope? The heat of the printer can shrink it and warp the envelope.

Re: Envelope Wrinkles - Ricoh C811DN Color Laser Prntr by ryanbuglia (2/15/12 5:24 AM) reply + / -
i know this is a really old thread, but i'm just having this problem with a customer...
has anyone come up with a way of modifying the fuser to relieve some of the pressure?
this was a solution with the smaller ricoh color printers for the same problem but i don't see a way of doing it to the 811.
thanks for your help!

Re: Envelope Wrinkles - Ricoh C811DN Color Laser Prntr by Scytex (2/15/12 1:30 PM) reply + / -
One of my vendors suggested tucking in the flap before printing as long as there is no adhesive to transfer off onto the fusers rollers.The Ricoh machines have been weak in the heavy paper feeding area we have several upset customers with expensive machines
apparently they havent figured out how to make the bypass feed heavy stock reliably.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters