fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

waste toner bin empty, but Ricoh says full

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

waste toner bin empty, but Ricoh says full by HMNS (12/12/07 2:27 PM) reply + / -
We have several Ricoh CL3500N color laser printers. They have a waste toner bin where the (un)used toner powder is dumped.

Since the waste toner bins cost about $30, I was told to just manually empty them rather than buy new ones. No problem, just take 'em outside and get upwind while I dump it in a bag.

The problem is that the printer keeps throwing out a "replace waste toner" alert even though the bin is empty. I cannot find a way to clear this alert and hope someone can tell me how, or maybe at least tell me how the printer detects waste toner levels.

Thanks!

Re: waste toner bin empty, but Ricoh says full by HMNS (8/15/08 6:45 AM) reply + / -
Figured it out. There is a small patch of tape on one end of the WTB. It will be caked with toner if the WTB gets too full. It can be cleaned with some difficulty by using a long-stick cotton swab.

What's faster and easier is to peel that tape off and replace with a new patch of clear tape. Be sure to cut a smaller piece to lay with non-stick side in to the 'window' so toner doesn't stick to it.

Works like a champ.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters