fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP Laserjet 2840, various problems

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by royvdmaas (11/6/07 6:50 AM) reply + / -
Hello everyone,

I came across this forum several times now and must say that it has really contributed to finding a solution for my printing problems.

The thing now is that I have a printing issue which I can't seem to find any information about (searched google, etc.).
It all started about two months ago, when my printer started to hang during calibration.
Well, it went past the calibration process, but every print job, service job, copy or scan I'd try to make afterwards, would result in the printer reporting 'Device is busy, try again later'. I would then have to powercycle the printer and I could print again... untill it would start calibrating again, of course. Too bad the HP factory setting was to calibrate every 15 minutes.
So I switched the calibration option off and.. problem solved!

..So it seemed.
About two weeks ago, the 'Device is busy, try again later'-error would now start to occur after every one or two pages I'd print, which made the situation completely unworkable.

I tried to switch from LAN printing to USB, but no difference. I've reset the printer to it's factory defaults, flashed the latest firmware, installed the latest drivers, etc. Tried about everything, no go.

Got the entire printer apart, cleaned all the sensors and circuit boards (had some spilled toner on them) and put them back together. Still the same problem.

I figured the formatter board was faulty and searched for a replacement, which I still don't have, but just this afternoon, my printer started printing again! page after page!

The only thing is.. All the pages are completely black! -_-' and now it's giving me the same 'Printer is busy' crap. Seems like It's only getting worse.

I have no clue what to do now. I am able to get a formatter board for $245,- but I'm not sure if it will solve my problem...
It also sometimes gives me an 'Engine Error'. But only sometimes, and I can press continue. In the printer logfile, the following errors occur: 54.11 and since this afternoon also 54.06.
I couldn't find the 54.11 error anywhere, so I called HP for information. They immediately began to whine about a price quote... I replied by saying I just wanted to know what these codes and messages meant. They said they only knew 54.2 and some other codes, but they didn't know what 54.11 was. Pretty weak when you are the company that made it. It all comes down to them not wanting to help me, and I still have problems.

I really hope someone here can help me, since I'm running out of options. If it's not fixable, I'd rather get rid of this machine from hell and buy a new one, instead of putting more money in it...

Many thanks in advance!

PS: The printer doesn't exactly print black pages, but all colors together, so it seems.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by MichaelTech (11/6/07 11:20 AM) reply + / -
Check all toner contacts on unit. H/V assy. may be going bad.
Sounds like the NVRAM may be corrupted.
54 error is toner sensor, may be the DC cont. going bad.
Try NVRAM initialize several times to get DC and formatter in sync.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Anonymous (11/6/07 4:24 PM) reply + / -
54.11 PRINTER ERROR

Description

There is a problem with the yellow density sensor.

Action

1. Turn the printer off, and turn it on again.
2. Force a calibration by selecting CALIBRATE NOW from the Print Quality Menu.

Press example (Select) to enter the MENUS.

Press example (Down Arrow) to highlight CONFIGURE DEVICE.

Press example (Select) to select CONFIGURE DEVICE.

Press example (Down Arrow) to highlight PRINT QUALITY.

Press example (Select) to select PRINT QUALITY.

Press example (Down Arrow) to highlight CALIBRATE NOW.

Press example (Select) to select CALIBRATE NOW.

Wait for the printer to calibrate.

Perform a cold reset on the printer.

Turn the printer on.

Watch the control panel.

When the memory starts counting, press and hold the green example (Select) button.

Continue holding the green example (Select) button until the Ready, Data, and Attention lights flash once, and then stay on steady.

Release the check button when the Ready, Data, and Attention light are on steady. The control panel will display SELECT LANGUAGE.

Press example (Down Arrow) button once. The control panel will display COLD RESET.

Press example (Select). The printer will perform a cold reset and then continue its power-on sequence.

Replace the yellow cartridge

If this message persists, contact an HP-authorized service or support provider.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by royvdmaas (11/7/07 12:42 AM) reply + / -
Hi MichaelTech and Anonymous,

Thank you very much for your responses, I immediately tried it.

MichaelTech: I just don't know how to initialize the NVRAM, couldn't find info on it anywhere for this printer. Could you give me some instructions on how to do this please?

Anonymous: I cleaned all toner contacts, with no avail. Tried Calibrating, but it would just give me 'Device is busy' afterwards.. I then tried the cold reset as you instructed, but there I got a little bit stuck; Maybe the instructions you gave me are for another printer, because I can't seem to find out when it is counting memory and when I just try to hold the check (select) button all through startup, it would eventually switch off the display untill I'd release it.

I don't have a yellow toner in stock at the moment, but will order one and see if it helps.

Again, many thanks in advance!

Grt. Roy

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, problems by mellbar (11/7/07 5:23 PM) reply+2 + / -
need some help.
printer once power is added starts to initialize however the ready light keeps blinking along with the orange exclamation light.will not go into the menu or respond to any keys pressed. while doing the initializing the display just goes blank without finishing .

need help please

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by royvdmaas (edited 11/8/07 1:43 AM) reply-1 + / -
@mellbar: I'm sorry but please open a new thread for your problem, since it is different from mine and it may cause confusion in finding a solution.

O/T: If Windows can find the printer, try to (re)flash the latest firmware, or via LAN, try to get into the printer settings webpage. You may have some luck resetting it to it's factory defaults but my guess would be that the formatter is bad.

edit: also try to search for error codes in the printers' event log.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by mellbar (11/8/07 5:49 AM) reply + / -
thanks , i was thinking the same , that the formatter is not working.i am not able to get in the printer though lan or usb . could you help me to find a source for buying a formatter A.S.A.P.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by royvdmaas (11/8/07 9:23 AM) reply + / -
You could also check for a stuck button. Try to disconnect the LCD/button panel flatcable from the formatter and try to switch it on then. If you can get it to print or are able to go into the LAN control webpage, you might only have to check the buttons and flatcable.

When I held down the select button (or any other) and then switched on the machine, it would also give me the blank screen after initialization.

This might save you a lot of money, formatters don't come cheap (~$450).

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by royvdmaas (12/11/07 7:21 AM) reply + / -
Update: I just received the new formatter. It didn't help at all :( ...

For everyone who might be experiencing the same problem(s): Do not waste your money on a new formatter. It's not the cause.

Now to find out what is..

I've now purchased another second hand broken 2840 printer to swap parts. This other printer has a defective fuser. I'll try to swap parts and find out what the problem is with this one, so I can fix them both.

I'll let you know what came out.

Grts. Roy

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Anonymous (1/17/08 11:40 AM) reply+1 + / -
On all documents I print on the HP2840 I get a line from the top of the page to the bottom exact;y 1.5 inches in from the left side. I have repalced the drum and the line is still there. suggestion needed on what I need to do.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Anonymous (1/26/08 12:09 AM) reply+1 + / -
Hi

I've the same problem with the black line from top to bottom. only that mine is from the right of the page.

Plz help... thx

Jeremy

NVRAM by pg.2komplex (3/22/08 2:16 PM) reply + / -
How to perform an NVRAM on a Colour laserjet 2840.

1. Turn OFF the power
2. With your right hand hold down the [ENTER] + the [*]
keys together and don't let go until you see the words
" permanent storage init "
3. let it do it's thing..lights will blink, bar wil scroll...
.... all normal and part of the process.
4. thats it.
*note that nvram will erase your serial number of your printer.

Re: Page only print half vertically by Christiaan (9/21/08 3:20 AM) reply + / -
Anybody can tell me why my pages only print half verticaaly

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Roxanne Rubell (11/7/08 11:52 AM) reply+1 + / -
I've got an HP color Laserjet 2840 and it's only printing in black and white. All cartridges are still full. Message comes up saying "Replace Supply: Using Black Only" Is the drum going bad??? Help - I need to be able to print in color. thanks!!!

faded left side HP Color Laserjet 2840 by vrnorth (12/24/08 1:33 PM) reply + / -
I hear this is a know problem on some color laserjet but not sure how to fix it. the left side of the page is faded/not printing.
new toner and tried a differant drum but same problem. Also would like to find service manual.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by dmzcompute (12/25/08 11:20 AM) reply + / -
You need to reindex the carousel. Download the link for instructions. Up for only 7 days.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/TTZtRGwrUzdnYVBIRGc9PQ

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by vaeb (1/25/09 9:35 AM) reply + / -
I have an HP laser jet 2840. A couple of days ago after doing some scanning it displayed error 79, Turn off and Turn on. I have done this several times and it does not correct the problem. After a few minutes the error messages disappears and the printer seems to try to restart its initialization cycle. Next it seems as if it is still trying to print something. Next the error message returns. Does anyone know how to fix this or troubleshott it further? Thanks, vaeb

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Deb F. (2/13/09 12:13 PM) reply+1 + / -
Printer is stopping mid print job coming up with error 50.1 Fuser error. Must turned off and back on, but error keeps repeating. Can anyone help? Thanks

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by FlyNight (3/7/09 9:18 PM) reply + / -
I recently replaced my black toner cartridge but the printer thinks that the old one is still in there. In the "supplies status" it has the old cartridge s/n and says that its at 0%. How can I make the printer recognize that this is a new cartridge?

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by moe (3/7/09 10:15 PM) reply + / -
There's a chip on the top front of the toner cartridge. That's what the printer reads. You don't say whether it's a remanufactured or new one. Maybe the chip fell off the replacement, maybe the remanufacturer didn't replace it like they're supposed to.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by FlyNight (3/7/09 10:24 PM) reply + / -
It is a new HP cartridge and the chip is in place.

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by KJ1110 (3/12/09 4:17 PM) reply+1 + / -
It may be the fuser, but is more likely to be a problem in the Power Supply Assembly!

Re: Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by tk55 (edited 3/13/09 3:21 AM) reply + / -
hi kj1110, are you replying to flynight's post regarding the black toner empty problem, or deb f's regarding the 50.1 fuser error??

i'm currently working on a lj2840 that has an 50.2 fuser error problem and awaiting on a replacement fuser unit.

the machine also say the black toner cartridge is now empty but the customer said it was replaced recently and it should be nearly full!

so can you please clarify this?

Re: Re: Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Anonymous (3/13/09 5:13 AM) reply + / -
deb's 50.1 error!

It MAY simply be nothing more than the fuser is worn out, BUT if she follow's the instructions in the troubleshooter (page 225 of user's manual - turn off, unplug, remove fuser, let sit about 20-min, reverse procedure), and then on restart she can get it to print one or two pages (that are properly fused to the paper) and the error returns, it could be a flaky thermostat or sensor on the fuser (fixing-unit) which would indicate replacement of that unit, but it MAY also indicate a failing power-supply, or even a faulty Main controller.

The same may be true of the 50.2 error and the only real-world way of being sure is what you're doing; replace the fuser (not inexpensive) and, if that doesn't do it, the Power supply and (failing that), the Main PCB (definitely not cheap).

The KISS principle says that it's the fuser, but..........Murray's Law states that Murphy was an optimist! - {8^)

Considering the history and age of this beast, I'm not too certain that it's cost effective to proceed beyond the fuser, especially when you consider that this thing sounds like a gimpy cement-mixer and is getting a bit long in the tooth for that kind of investment, particularly if it's up over 100-k.

You can replace it for less with much less noisy/costly machines!

Having multiple errors going on at once the way you describe may indicate MPCB problems, or it may simply be a cascade of false codes!

Then again, I couldn't tell you how many times user's have told me that they changed the toner only to find the new cartridge still in the box, and the exhausted one back in the machine!

It happens!

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by KJ1110 (3/13/09 5:24 AM) reply + / -
Whoops! I'm sure you know this, but that was my reply (forgot to log in)!

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by tk55 (edited 9/3/09 3:20 PM) reply + / -
thanks kj1110.

let's hope so it's just the fuser unit. we'll see when the replacement arrives.

edit: new fuser did not fix the problem. we suspected the dc controller or the lvpsu might be at fault. customer had decided to buy new machine.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by KJ1110 (3/13/09 7:51 AM) reply + / -
tk55:

Let us know your results!

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, only print half verticaly by Anonymous (5/8/09 2:11 PM) reply + / -
Anybody can tell me why my pages only print half verticaly.

can anyone help please. I keep hearing if the carousel central axel has been twisted. But not sure where the carousel central axel is, or how it looks like. I'm a girl in college that just need to print some hw... I called up HP and they ask for $30 crazy company! Please help Thank you.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by moe (5/8/09 3:15 PM) reply + / -
This isn't something you can fix yourself. The printer is a bit of overkill for a college kid. When my daughter went for 1 semester to Santa Cruz, which isn't that far from you and is the worst school in the country, she got a small black and white laser MFC. There is absolutely no reason for you to have a big color laser MFC. It will probably cost more to fix than it's worth. You can buy another printer for less than the cost of the repair.
Looking at your truly awful English and grammar, I was surprised to see that you're going to a Calif. college. Of course, you could be from another country. Given the sad state of our state's education system, it really wouldn't surprise me if you are from California.
Read this article on why it's important to be able to use proper English in a job application http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3312877.html?menu=news.quirkies
Sorry for the lecture, but it's for your own good.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by jaybird2525 (5/27/09 11:29 AM) reply + / -
I printed documents out just yesterday but today I hit print and I get "Looking for HP Color LaserJet 2840" and nothing happens. I've restarted my comp, restarted the printer and called HP tech support who told me that because my warranty ran out last month, I had to pay $40 for a phone support call.

I'm sure the problem and the solution are simple.

Help, Please!

Jon

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by printerrepairpros (5/29/09 8:02 AM) reply + / -
Try removing the printer driver. Restart the computer and then reload the driver.
Hope this helps.

Re: faded left side HP Color Laserjet 2840 by Anonymous (6/2/09 2:17 AM) reply + / -
I have the same problem. Have you found a solution?

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by dragonfire45 (6/29/09 6:05 PM) reply + / -
UNIT AND MODEL NUMBER: HP 2840

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: AUTO FEED FUNCTION PRINTS W/2 LINES DOWN PAPER

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by KJ1110 (6/30/09 4:51 AM) reply + / -
dragonfire45:

If I understand your question correctly, what you're saying is that when you use the Automatic Document Feeder to feed your originals to the scanner, you're getting vertical lines (top-to-bottom of copy), right?

But if you put the original on the flatbed glass, you DON'T get the lines, correct?

If this is the case, lift the ADF and look at the scanner slit-glass (to the left); there's likely some dirt on it, possibly very small and hard to see; use some glass-cleaner and swab the scan-glass off and test!

HP Laserjet 2840 by mamco (7/10/09 5:20 PM) reply + / -
My printer is printing 1/4" gray lines (2) from top to bottom on every fax, and printed document. What can I do to solve this problem...Thank you

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by lomaxsw (7/19/09 6:48 AM) reply + / -
My HP Laserjet 2840 will not recoginze the yellow cartridge.
I have bought 2 new yellow cartridges and it will not recognize either one of them. No help form HP.
Their diagnostic website will not even come up on my browser.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by bfelker (7/24/09 6:04 AM) reply + / -
My printer only prints on the right side of the page. All ink and drum have been replaced. This printer has been nothing but trouble. Let me know if I can fix it or need to go get it fixed. Thanks

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Anonymous (7/24/09 9:00 AM) reply + / -
bfelker:

A few possibilities, here; if it image gradually fades away from one side to the other (fairly good at either the right or the left and then gets gradually lighter as it progresses to the other "edge") then it's possible that the machine itself is "off-level" and the developer/toner powder is "flowing" toward the "low" side of the machine; use a spirit level to confirm that the machine is level from side-to-side and from front-to-rear!

Confirm that and get back to us!

I agree; not HP's best effort!

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by KJ1110 (7/24/09 12:31 PM) reply + / -
lomaxsw:

Are your cartridges HP OEM or after-market (3rd-party)?

Refills/refurbs?

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by KJ1110 (edited 7/24/09 12:41 PM) reply + / -
mamco:

These 1/4" lines; are they equidistant apart evenly spaced across the page?

If yes, it sounds as if the heat-roller in your fusing-unit is worn out.

If they are unevenly spaced across the page, but always in the same position (and present on EVERY print), it's likely to be a worn transfer-belt.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by gjacob (8/24/09 8:50 AM) reply + / -
We have a solid black line running through our faxes on the left side from the top to the bottom of the page. We scrolled through the machine and cleaned the fax. Can you tell us what is wrong.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by moe (8/24/09 10:39 AM) reply + / -
Lift the top and clean the little glass on the left side.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Anonymous (8/25/09 3:52 PM) reply + / -
replacing yellow cartidge and running the clean function on the printer fixed my problem

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Anonymous (9/3/09 7:50 AM) reply + / -
Has anyone come up with a solution for the yellow cartridge not showing? I have the same problem since yesterday and don't know what to do.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by KJ1110 (9/3/09 8:03 AM) reply + / -
Anon:

Are your cartridges HP OEM brand or are they after-market (3rd-party) refills/refurbs?

HP Laserjet 2840: Engine Error by DavidFielding (9/19/09 2:29 PM) reply + / -
My HP 2840 generates an Engine error on 19 of 20 power cycles
on average.

The status log indicates errors 54.1900 and 54.2500.

Any idea what component is causing the error? Is this a sensor
component OR the DC or Formatter board?

Any help is appreciated. With the service manual available online
I'm beginning to get too familiar with this printer. Maybe someone
should put up a tips and tricks page.

Thanks,
David

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by KJ1110 (edited 9/19/09 3:31 PM) reply + / -
David:

Are you certain that you're relating those error codes correctly?

There is no 54.19 code, however there is a 59.19 code (Developer Motor rotation error) which would make sense considering the following error message.

On the second part, 54.2x errors are related to a problem in the Developer Carousel (carousel drive motor problem or carousel misalignment).

It may be as simple as a bad connection in the wires leading to the aforementioned motor, the (carousel) engaging detection flag or, worst case (and very likely, the DC controller PCB needs replacement (R&R not for the uninitiated or feint of heart).

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by DavidFielding (9/20/09 7:21 PM) reply + / -
The codes were copied verbatim from the configuration page.
I double checked and the status log codes on the configuration
page are 54.1900 and 54.2500. I will accept that HP print two
extra meaningless 0's but my HP 2840 tells me these error codes.
What about the standard error codes in the documentation:

10.000x Supply error
13.00.00 paper jam
21.0000 Error
41.02.00 Error
41.03.00 Error

Someone else stated that codes they had were undocumented. It's
somewhat interesting looking at the error code documentation for
the various classes of errors where only one error is documented
in the series.

54.2, 55.1, 59.16, 59.192, 59.4, 59.99 Errors

If the left side of the decimal represents the component, i.e.,
scanner, 50 - fuser, 51 - laser, etc. then I'm somewhat
surprised that some of these components can only fail in one
way. :^( Clearly they were documenting most likely errors.

Does anyone have a complete set of error codes?

While our 2840 worked oaky for a long time it has always seemed
strange that the main course of action for almost all errors
is to power cycle the machine. This indicates a major
design problem if errors develop that power cycling fixes.
The electronics appear unstable.

In any event, any help determining where errors 54.1900 and
54.2500 originate is appreciated. At this point I've read
enough that I am comfortable replacing the DC or Formatter
boards. I'd don't want to do this unless I know exactly
what the error means. Replacing both is a few hundred dollars.

Thanks,
David

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by DavidFielding (9/20/09 7:30 PM) reply + / -
DC controller. I'm wonder now whether to just go ahead and
replace both the DC and Formatter boards while I'm in there.

The other thought is to replace our "HP Only" policy with
"Non-HP Printers Only". Right now I'm open to all brands
after this experience.

The Brother MFC-8890WD that I replaced our HP 2840 with is very
nice. The staff are raving about it at 32 p/m. This is mono but
this is what we do most. And it just works!

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by KJ1110 (9/21/09 5:34 AM) reply + / -
Well, I'm going off of the service Manual, but it's entirely possible that there are so called "undocumented" error codes which you only can get as an Authorized Service Center/Dealer.

Personally, I've gone off of HP (except for plotters) some time ago, but that's just me!

This shouldn't be taken as a blanket condemnation of HP, per se!

Their reduced durability and "robustness" (as compared to times past) is simply a result of the realities of trying to maintain market-share in a highly competitive business where end-users demand the product do everything, last forever, be trouble free, but cost next to nothing!

In an Engineering R&D shop I worked in there was a sign on the wall: "You can have it fast, you can have it good, and you can have it cheap, but you can't have all three at the same time!"

If Monochrome does the job for you, then certainly they can be much less problematic simply by dint of the fact that they are less complex both in hardware and firmware.

Again, JMHO, but I've NEVER been real keen on Brother products; some people love them and some want to take a hammer to them, but that's more the nature of the beast (market) than it is of a given name-brand (which is often misleading at best).

You may want to look at Samsung (CXL-62xx series), or some of the Oki's, Kyocera/Copystar, Konica-Minolta, or any of a couple of dozen brands, both consumer and dealer oriented.

If your office (as it sounds to be) DEPENDS on these machines, I would strongly suggest something from a LOCAL service oriented dealer; buying crucial equipment from a "Box" store or via mail-order might save you some money up front, but cost you much more in the long haul in down-time or outright replacement the day the warranty expires!

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by cip2009 (10/5/09 10:49 AM) reply + / -
Hi Guys,

My printer has been retarded for the last week or so. At first its been telling me that I have a paper jam. Then it's been telling me that the scan isn't working and to restart. Now I'm back to paper jam...it recieves faxes and prints but does not send faxes or copy. HELP! I can't seem to find the jam, and this issue is severly handicapping my job.

thanks in advance!

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by wankantri (10/5/09 3:10 PM) reply + / -
Try clean the laser scanner assy

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by KJ1110 (10/5/09 3:10 PM) reply + / -
Is this the same model as the topic discussion (HP CLJ-2840)?

Will it fax or copy from the flatbed (single sheet) as opposed to feeding it from the Document Feeder?

What error codes/messages is it giving you?

When you get this "Paper Jam" message, do you get this when trying to send a fax via the Doc Feeder?

It ALMOST sounds to me as if the document feed sensor in the ADF may be snapped off.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by DigitalWest (10/6/09 5:24 PM) reply + / -
Hi,

I have an HP CLJ 2840. I purchased it about 4 years ago and it has been a good machine and without problems.

I recently moved my office, after which the machine started to report "paper jam". I would follow the instructions but could find no paper in the path, pieces or otherwise. I cleaned the heck out of it and changed out the paper and now it works off and on.

4 days ago the machine refused to scan a document. I finally un-installed the software from my computer and reinstalled same from the disk that came with the machine. It worked fine for one day.

Yesterday I noticed a grinding noise as the machine cycles, then last night it showed a 54.2 error code. I cycled the power and removed all of the cartridges and cleaned out any loose toner, replaced same and still I get the error code.

I canít see any plastic shavings or anything out of the ordinary.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by KJ1110 (10/6/09 6:05 PM) reply + / -
As stated further back in this thread, 54.2 indicates a problem in the developer carousel (carousel drive motor problem or carousel misalignment); these things seem to be notorious for the carousel drive shearing teeth or dropping out of alignment (warped frame assembly).

I would suggest that if you're willing to spend money on it, take it to your local HP ASP (GET ESTIMATE FIRST); in reality, I would suggest that replacement would be the more cost effective strategy!

I'm increasingly happy that I never sold any of that series!

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by KJ1110 (10/6/09 6:33 PM) reply + / -
As stated further back in this thread, 54.2 indicates a problem in the developer carousel (carousel drive motor problem or carousel misalignment); these things seem to be notorious for the carousel drive shearing teeth or dropping out of alignment (warped frame assembly).

I would suggest that if you're willing to spend money on it, take it to your local HP ASP (GET ESTIMATE FIRST); in reality, I would suggest that replacement would be the more cost effective strategy!

I'm increasingly happy that I never sold any of that series!

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by psjanssen (12/3/09 12:41 AM) reply + / -
I'm having several problems. When I'm attempting to load my yellow cart I can't get the thing to align correctly not allowing installation of the cart. I am able to get all the other carts in, however the readout on the display indicates the blue cart isn't installed, and it correctly indicates the yellow is also not installed.

This printer was working at one point until I put a reconditioned imaging drum kit in as the old one was almost used up. What it was doing before I replaced the imaging drum was it would print out yellow only on a windows test page. But when I printed up with the b&w printer in b&w mode it prints black just fine, also if I had the printer set for color mode and telling it to print in 'grey scale' mode it prints fine.

Please help....

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by healthup (12/4/09 10:04 PM) reply + / -
There's a sticky solenoid should be cleanned, it sits at the top of right side of carousel.
Clean and put an electric tape between two metals (one is L type), and the problem will be solved.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by ttcompservices (12/6/09 2:31 PM) reply + / -
I am working on the HP Laserjet 2840 and went to a wireless print server (note: I had it connected via USB before with the same problem). When I go to set the "Scan to" options through the HP Director, it states that the "Scan to" area is full. I have tried to reset the printer to no avail and I have also uninstalled the printer and reinstalled the latest version with no success.

My client wants to be able to hit the "Scan to" button on the 2840 and select the email name, scan and then send through Outlook. We got it to work once while I was there, but of course when I left it quit working.

I have so far found no information on Google search or through HP website.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by MichaelTech (12/7/09 12:31 PM) reply + / -
Fully remove the HP software from Add/Remove Programs. Use the scrubber utility after, and re-install. If downloading, turn off any virus/firewall running, as it will stop crucial files from downloading. Check for a firmware upgrade, or at least refresh it again. You must fully install the entire HP driver programs.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Anonymous (12/9/09 10:34 PM) reply + / -
i had downloaded hp 2840, wht to do for viewing the hp direct icon on the desktop

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Larry Barba (12/12/09 6:30 AM) reply + / -
i can't reinstall my hp clj 2840 printer because on trying to install the Full-Solution drive, the clj2840 does not recognize the clj2840 from the usb port. I run Fix Scan but it still won't let me install it.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Anonymous (1/1/10 5:06 AM) reply + / -
PRINTER LASERJET hp 2840 IS OUT OF SYNC ABOUT 5 DEGREE, THE CARTIDGES CAN NOT BE TAKEN OUT FOR REPLACEMENT, HOW I CAN CALIBRATE IT MANUALLY, OR REAJUST THE REFERENCE IT LOOSE.

THANKS

SAM

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Anonymous (1/4/10 2:57 AM) reply + / -
Hi,
Wonder if you could show me the link to reindexing the carousel.
Thanks for your help

Tan

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Bridget T (1/4/10 6:58 AM) reply + / -
I ordered a refurbished yellow toner cartridge, it worked for a while but now it won't recognize it. I recently replaced the black one and that is fine, but the yellow one isn't. Any suggestions? or do I need to order a HP one?

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Ed B. (1/13/10 2:11 PM) reply + / -
I have had a 2840 for a couple of years and it works great!!

I was able to pick up another 2840 at a yard sale, and it looks brand new. Toner cartridges are full, as is drum. Prints perfectly!!

Problem is I can't seem to remove the drum!! I'm very familiar with this unit so it's not me. It's like it's stuck on something inside the unit.

Suggestions!!

Thanks in advance.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by moe (1/13/10 2:39 PM) reply + / -
Take the drum out of the working unit. Now watch inside on the right as you close the lid. You will see a metal pin come out. That is probably what is preventing the other one from coming out. There is a linkage on the door on the right that works a gear mechanism inside that moves it in and out. I had one come into the shop once, where the customer got frustrated and totally destroyed the drum unit in an attempt to get it out. I just told him to toss it since he did so much damage that it wasn't worth fixing. Don't know what he was thinking.

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Anonymous (1/15/10 7:59 AM) reply + / -
The linkage (it's black hard plastic) that attaches from the underside of the lid to a gear mechanism on the right side of the interior, actuating the gear, was indeed broken off of the underside of the lid.

When I actuated the lever manually, the drum came right out!! Yeah!

I tried but could not get the pin on the lever to stay in the hole on the bottom of the lid. Oh well. What do you expect for a printer you pay $70 for at a yard sale!!

Thanks so much for your help!!

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Davyt (1/21/10 9:24 PM) reply + / -
The print on the left margin is faded approx. 1-1.5" all the way down the page. I have cleaned the inside, checked the carousel allignment. The allignment is right on even the toner cartridges were evenly spaced on the left and right side from the developer unit. Can anyone help?

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, problems by david stanley (1/27/10 12:47 PM) reply + / -
Hi, I'm having the same problem, any solutions out there?

thanks

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by moe (1/27/10 12:52 PM) reply + / -
69 posts in this thread and you're having the same problem as which one? Did you try any of the solutions on the thread?

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by david stanley (1/31/10 12:03 PM) reply+3 + / -
sorry same as melbar

need some help.
printer once power is added starts to initialize however the ready light keeps blinking along with the orange exclamation light.will not go into the menu or respond to any keys pressed. while doing the initializing the display just goes blank without finishing .

need help please

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Anonymous (2/7/10 2:17 PM) reply + / -
i have been having this same problem and am looking for the fix , if any one can help

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Lukasz (2/24/10 6:43 AM) reply+1 + / -
It's kinda strange, but when sending a print job to the printer the ready light keeps flashing and nothing happens. There is message on the screen that something is being printed and it stays there forever.
I tried to print from the PC, but also from the GUI or the printer itself and the same problem.

Any help much appraciated

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Gimmeads (3/3/10 3:03 PM) reply + / -
I received this printer in the office and was trying to resolve the issue of prints coming out only from one side of paper.

Looking at a sheet of paper vertically, the paper is fine from the left, but moving about 3 inches towards the right, the toner gradually fades and then after 2 inches, the rest of the paper is blank.

Thanks in advance for the help

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by housbiz (3/17/10 8:26 PM) reply + / -
I have a service error of: 50.2 fuser error? I have tried the shut down and remove power steps that have been provided and as soon as I try to run the machine in cleaning mode it comes up with a jam in printer paper path.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by KJ1110 (3/18/10 4:51 AM) reply + / -
Housebiz:

As mentioned up toward the top of this thread, the most likely cause is that the fuser-unit is due to be replaced, BUT it MAY be something more severe!

It may also be nothing more than a bad sensor at the exit.

If you're not a tech, you should probably take it to one (it's a heavy beast) and GET AN ESTIMATE IN WRITING FIRST!

Good luck!

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by ckb_45 (3/19/10 3:59 PM) reply + / -
Hi, I hope someone can help me, I have a 2840 and suddenly and intermittently comes up with error 59.4. Fuser Motor error.

I did the obvious and replaced the fuser assembly, and fault disappeared for a few days, now its back... again intermittent.

Ive had the fuser motor out and checked the gear train to make sure everything was free running.... all seems ok. This fault is driving me nuts, as sometimes it prints and sometimes errors, so please any suggestions of things to try. Thanking you.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Anonymous (3/21/10 9:56 PM) reply + / -
supply error plz give me sollution

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by C.R.Cox (3/22/10 11:55 AM) reply + / -
I have an HP 2840. I replaced the Magenta cartridge as the ToolBox said I had less than 5% less. I had bought a Drum plus all cartridges on Ebay about 6 months ago. They were refilled OEM. Ok, after I replaced the Magenta and closed the lid, an error msg came up and dissapeared. Then a msg saying "incorrect Yellow: came up. I tried to rotate back to Magenta to pull out the one I had inserted, but it will not Rotate. Any suggestions anyone?

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Anonymous (4/9/10 4:37 PM) reply + / -
Hi Mate, had many issues the scumas at HP centre , give the round arounds , Anyway , The printer is shit, because it tells me to replace Quartz lamp , then diffuser 50.1 50.2 50.3, By i got new ink cartgages got any idea around the diffuser 50.1 50.2 50.3 !!, cant scan,,,
Regards

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Anonymous (4/9/10 4:41 PM) reply + / -
Hi i got the some problem as you, i replaced the quartz lamp , drum and cartigages,,, did anyone get back to you with any idea, if so please forward onto myself,
Thanks
Tony

Re: Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by moe (4/9/10 5:06 PM) reply + / -
Hey Tony, OK, so you're in Australia, somewhere west of Sydney. Care to explain the previous post where you had an Aussie accent and lost it in this one? Or is it coincidence that you both live in the same house?

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, Blank on one half of page by Anonymous (4/20/10 8:23 AM) reply + / -
When you replace the Drum on this machine, it will move the teeth one way or the other and cause the 1/2 blank page. If you move the teeth on the drum cartridge, one tooth at a time, in each direction, you can retime the machine and it will printly normally.

HP Laserjet 2840 Error 5 by oakleaf1 (4/25/10 1:08 PM) reply+1 + / -
When I turn on my HP 2840 it will go thru a scanner bulb warm up which usually includes a ratcheting sound followed by a display message "ERROR CODE 5,TURN OFF, TURN ON". Usually it will fully turn on after doing this 4 or 5 times. Now it will not come on at all. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

HP Laserjet 2840, marks on prints by agh1 (5/7/10 8:38 PM) reply + / -
Hi everyone,

had this printer for about 2-3 years, didnít see much use (page count 2900 pages).

my printer started printing a wide ( 1.5 cm or about half inch) stripe on the left hand side of the paper(the stripe is not even along the length but it goes the whole length of page, and happens on all prints including on cleaning page).

that happened a few weeks after changing the black toner to a refurbished black toner.

tried cleaning the area tried to run a page clean from the toolbox (resulted in a really thick toner deposit on the pages (actually crumbled when touched).

i was thinking its either the toner issue or maybe the drum but the drum hasnít been used past 54%. is there an aging factor on the drum other the prints?
now the printer prints 2-3 pages and stops (the lcd sais printing page but nothing is printing)

I am fairly tech savvy and am willing to give this ago but were should I start?

since consumables are so expensive and so are parts I was wondering if anyone can direct me to were to start?

any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Ed B. (5/7/10 8:52 PM) reply + / -
Im no expert, but it sounds like you need a new drum.

Amazon.com is the least expensive place i've found them.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by oakleaf1 (5/8/10 7:23 AM) reply + / -
A friend showed me this HP forum for the HP Color LaserJet 2840:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com

Re: NVRAM by MelMac3 (6/8/10 5:37 AM) reply + / -
pg.2komplex

I read your post..If you turn the power off how does pushing any button do anything with the power off????

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by dpbklyn (edited 6/8/10 2:49 PM) reply + / -
Hello and thank you in advance...

We just moved across the county and when I set up my 2840 it goes into its calibrating thing (as it always does), but then all the noise stops and the "!" flashes and the LED still says calibrating. If I turn the printer on and off a couple times, letting it whirr and click until the "!" flashes eventually it will say "Ready" and I can print 1 or maybe 2 pages the the whole calibration mess starts again.

Could the movers knocked something out of whack? Does anyone know if there is documentation that this is a frequent problem--to show to the movers' claim adjuster?

TIA,

dpbklyn

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, 10.1004 Supply error by dandydonwood (8/11/10 12:55 PM) reply + / -
I have a HP 2840 printer. The printer currently yields a 10.1004 supply error. It asks for a "reinstall" There is a question mark above the drum icon. This has happened a few times in the past and removing and reinstalling the printer drum has seemed to fix the problem. This fix no longer seems to work. Do I need a new drum or is there something else wrong? Thanks fro your help!

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by laji (8/19/10 6:19 AM) reply + / -
in hp color laser jet 2820 printer getting error message "incorrect yellow"

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by lb81 (8/24/10 4:43 PM) reply + / -
Hi there,
We have been using the HP2840 for years with no issues. Just recently, some of our faxes have not been coming through, and we have been told that the response on other peoples fax machine is that our fax is busy. but our fax is not! The fax is then spitting out random faxes every now and then from about a month ago.
Anyone know what we can do to fix? Now it appears that no faxes are getting through. I have also tried to send faxes today and this is now not working either. Nothing has changed with phone line, etc so we are thinking its probably just time to replace, but just wanted to check if anyone had a solution before we spent the money.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by newthing (8/31/10 12:02 PM) reply + / -
Hello
I have a hp 2840 that prints bottom 1/4 of the page.
i have aligned the carousel and calibrated the printer and still 1/4 page ANY ideas
Thanks

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by johndicker (9/20/10 4:03 AM) reply + / -
Anybody know what causes a 3cm wide strip down the centre of the page. - Black and white if using only that and lovely multicoloured abstract colours when using colours. We have replaced the drum and followed all the on line help but nothing helps!!!! Any Ideas??

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Mary Ellen Macdonald (9/20/10 5:13 AM) reply + / -
That happened to me and the tech said it was the formatter. I replaced the formatter and it went away. Hopefully, yours is still under warranty as mine wasn't.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by jkapral (10/5/10 6:06 AM) reply + / -
Anyone know how to change the serial number back after its been erased? I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by moe (10/5/10 11:48 AM) reply + / -
Should be in the Service Menu someplace. To access the Service Menu.
1 On the device control panel, press MENU.
2 Use the < or the > button to select Service, and then press ENTER.

Horrible high pitched screech noise by mbaker (2/16/11 8:35 PM) reply + / -
I have a home based business and go through 1 imaging drum per year (just to give you an idea of useage). I just replaced the drum with a new one ordered from the HP site and within in 3 days the printer is making these high pitched screechy noises as the sheet of paper feeds through the machine? Any idea of what might be wrong and how I can fix it? thanks!

No Subject by cpmgrp (5/19/11 1:38 PM) reply + / -
Our LAN has one Mac (running OS9.2.2) and two PCs running XP-Home. Everything prints OK, but suddenly having a problem with scanning to or from the PCs. The Mac still scans (so not is OK). Both PCs run up to the "preview" window, then a "An error occurred during Preview, if scanner is being used, wait for it to complete the task" message shows up. I've checked all printer configuratuions for any old documents that might be holding things up, but there are none. Have restarted everything many times. Suggestions?

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by cpmgrp (5/19/11 1:42 PM) reply + / -
Sorry, above should be titled:
Scanner "Device Busy Problem"

and one typo (so nEt is OK)

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, cartridge out of sync by samsHP (6/7/11 5:40 PM) reply + / -
In the process of replacing an Ink Cartridge the rotation got off sync and I am not able to put in the yellow cartridge back in or ďrotateĒ it to put it back in. I have tried several things but nothing seems to work. It does not want to move at all. I am not able to move it manually or by calibrating it. The display says "incorrect yellow" (the yellow cartridge isn't even in there) How can I get the cartridges in line. Any Ideas?

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, printing in ding bats by DawnHB (9/2/11 8:28 AM) reply + / -
Why does the HP Laserjet 2840 print in symbols rather than what it is suppose to print?

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by CPMGRP (9/2/11 10:37 AM) reply + / -
I finally gave in and completely re-installed the HP software (downloaded from the HP site). I first removed as much of the old software as possible (note that the normal uninstall thru control panel doesn't get everything)

Coincidental with the reinstall I moved from my old house to a new residence and am only using one PC on a wireless net.

One (or both) of these have solved the problem.

I'd recommend the same to DawnHB & SamsHP. Make sure you insall the correct software for your printer and computer - delete ALL old HP software first.

As to the cartridges not lining up - other than the above recommendation, I can't imagine what the problem is, but I do seem to remember that buried in the manual (also available online) are instructions for releasing a pin or "catch" that will allow free rotation of the cartridges.

Re: Horrible high pitched screech noise by Da Ni (10/3/11 9:23 AM) reply + / -
Hi there--

The 2840 at my office started making that horrible noise as well. It started after we installed a refurbished imaging drum. Did you install a new drum or a refurbished drum? The company we work with (All Copy Products, Colorado) can't figure out why our machine is making this noise. Let me know if you had any luck sorting out the issue. The noise is torturous!

Re: Re: Horrible high pitched screech noise by moe (10/3/11 4:58 PM) reply + / -
I've heard the noise from imaging units as well. They should replace it for you. Nothing you can do to fix it yourself.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Rakhee (10/18/11 12:17 AM) reply + / -
Hi Guys

I am unable to print green colour in my HP Laserjet 2840 colour printer and the green portion is turning in blue colour when its printed out. I have recently replced yellow cartride and since then this happens.

I tried switching printer on and off and cleaning the printer. But still the problems exist.

Can anyone please help me.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by dmzcompute (10/18/11 4:56 AM) reply + / -
You have a bad yellow toner. Blue mixed with yellow gives you green. Return the toner for refund or exchange.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by rickmcm (10/25/11 4:34 PM) reply + / -
I've got a LJ 2840 that has worked well for over four years. I recently turned it off for about a month when out of town. Turned it back on when I returned. It cycled through its routine and then shut down. No lights, no display (during or after initiation routine), and neither my PC nor my Mac seem connected to it (even though they are physically via USB). Cannot find any info on this problem on line. Any suggestions?

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by glenlam (11/8/11 4:54 PM) reply + / -
the 2840 whines, sqweaks, screams as it cranks out a print....
really annoying..anybody?

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by dmzcompute (11/8/11 6:16 PM) reply+2 + / -
Could any number of items. Common are bad drum unit, bad toner cartridge, bad laser/scanner motor, bad fuser, etc. Need to narrown down exact location of the noise.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by moe (11/9/11 10:14 AM) reply + / -
dmz is right, but the most common cause I've heard on that model was the imaging unit.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by saghi (11/16/11 3:06 PM) reply+1 + / -
My 2840 PRINTER/FAX was working great. I was low on black ink, so I bought a new black Toner cartridge and change the black cartridge. Once I closed the door, it started rotating and then it got stuck. Since then it give the sign " INCORRECT YELLOW"

I HAVE TURNED IT ON/OFF; REMOVED IT FROM THE PLUG FOR 30 MIN, NO CHANGE. I CAN'T USE IT AT ALL, EVEN THE FAX NOW DOESN'T WORK.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by moe (11/17/11 11:07 AM) reply + / -
If you open the lid and look on the right side at the top, there is a blue triangle. Just above it is an opening. If you straighten a paper clip and stick it in there it will release the carousel brake and allow you to turn the carousel by hand. Make sure it is rotating freely. You can take the cartridges out and reinstall them. Is it possible that you replaced the yellow with the black by mistake?

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by seriously (edited 11/17/11 3:50 PM) reply + / -
when the carousel is knocked out of alignment it could also indicate incorrect yellow. i've seen it before.....

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by samigreat (12/5/11 11:57 AM) reply + / -
Hi my printer is hp colour laserjet 2840 my printer when i turn on me printer it says hewlett packard and after the calabration it turn's off when i swich it back on it does the same!!
When i press the cancel botten it says moab rev.a for 2sec then i press cancel 2 or 3 times it says stuck key failed.......... so can you please help........

Re: Laserjet M2727NF, various problems by CoZ (12/14/11 7:20 AM) reply + / -
Hi,

My printer doesn't want to print more then one copie at the time even if we select 2-3-4..copies etc. How do i change that?

Thank you very much for your help.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Rzmary (12/14/11 1:03 PM) reply + / -
Does anyone know if this printer can print in black if all the color cartridges are empty? I don't mind paying for a new black cartridge, but replacing them all in this PoC is not a viable option IMHO.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by hp-printer-dave (1/2/12 8:28 AM) reply + / -
Here is the quick YouTube video on how to unlock or turn the carousel by hand to remove the toners. ---- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ORIwO7O4cJ0 ---- If you need to turn the carousel on an HP color laserjet 2500 or 2550 or 2840 then this video shows what Moe describes.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Rose Galloway (1/30/12 5:52 PM) reply + / -
2840 HP LaserJet Printer...My printer was printing a One inch stripe on the left hand side of the paper then leaves about 2 inches empty than prints the rest of the page Horizontally. The pattern goes the whole length of page Then it tells me to Replace the Black Cartridge. I did....along with all of the Colors. Upon installing them. It wants me to Install the Black Cartrige. It is ""AlREADY INSTALLED""....It will Not Do anything at All Except Tell me to Install Black Cartridge............. Help Please

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by diggoff (2/17/12 9:09 AM) reply + / -
I am getting error msg 10.1004. I have replaced the imaging drum with a new HP drum and the error is still present. I turned the printer off and restarted it with the same results.

HELP!!!!!!!!

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by daboy (3/1/12 3:03 PM) reply + / -
My printer exclamation light is flashing and the message window is stating "Replace Supplies". I just replaced the Black and I do not use the color. The window shows the Black is filled and all three colors are empty. Do I need to replace the color drums if I do not use color? I cannot clear this message.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by william morey (3/29/12 9:46 AM) reply + / -
I have a hp laserjet 2840. the ! below the ready dot is blinking. The drum is fairly new. I have only black and yellow colors in the copier. The screen always says replace supplies. It will let me scan and fax but not print or copy. It gives a copy pending sign. We pulled all the colors out and returned them, also the drum.

HP LJ 2840 AIO Printer, Error 49 message by Flyer137 (3/30/12 9:09 AM) reply + / -
Good day, I have tried turning the printer on and off and keep getting Error 49 message. ANy help would be appreciated, thank you.

Re: HP LJ 2840 AIO Printer, Error 49 message by moe (3/30/12 9:37 AM) reply + / -
First thing to try would be to visit HP's website and update your firmware http://h20000.www2.hp.com

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by marty0457 (5/1/12 12:45 PM) reply + / -
I seem to be having a problem with my 2840 detecting a new Cyan cartridge. I replaced the cartridge with a new (non HP) cartridge, and it keeps giving me an "install cyan" message on the display. it does not seem to recognize that there is even a toner cartridge in there. can someone share any thoughts on this? Im really frustrated over this stupid printer. More problems than its worth. offer advice and save a printer's life. I'm having evil thoughts about hurting this printer badly. hurry before its too late....

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by seriously (5/1/12 3:40 PM) reply + / -
heard it too many times. it goes like this: i just replaced a part and the machine keep saying the new part is bad. the printer must be faulty as that part i just put in is "brand new"!

:(

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by dmzcompute (5/2/12 5:10 AM) reply + / -
You buy a non hp toner cartridge and then blame the printer for it not working. I really do not think the printer is the stupid one in this case.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Joe Zimmerman (9/15/12 11:03 AM) reply + / -
My HP 2840 Printer puts a black multi line, (one streak line about .030" flanked by two smaller streaks lines), top to bottom, along the left side in about 1.5" in, on the page + some other very light lines down the page It also does a bad job of printing characters etc when copying but ok when printing. I recently installed a new black cartridge, which made the lines darker but they did not go away.
It said I need a new drum, but I would buy a new printer before paying retail for a new drum even though all 4 cartridges are more then 3/4 full, and relatively new. Is a reman drum a good try. I will replace this printer shortly anyway. I has always be a piece of crap, with crappy support, like drivers etc.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by marty0457 (9/15/12 11:39 AM) reply + / -
If I needed a pointless wise ass comment about using a non-standard cartridge, DMZ, I would have asked my x wife instead. Keep your stupid MFing comments to yourself, and if this is how you spend your free time, get an effing life! what a loser!

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by dmzcompute (9/15/12 2:30 PM) reply + / -
If it prints ok then the issue is the scanner glass being dirty. I can not remember if you have a strip of glass on the left side for the adf or just one solid piece of glass. In any case you need to clean the glass real good and if still lines match them up against the glass and clean harder. Just a little pin head of dirt will cause a line down the page if using the adf.

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by dmzcompute (9/15/12 2:36 PM) reply + / -
If it prints ok then the issue is the scanner glass being dirty. I can not remember if you have a strip of glass on the left side for the adf or just one solid piece of glass. In any case you need to clean the glass real good and if still lines match them up against the glass and clean harder. Just a little pin head of dirt will cause a line down the page if using the adf.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by emeka2 (12/16/12 6:57 AM) reply + / -
My printer displays "Page too complex" each time I send a document to printer, but it does not print after displaying this error message.

Secondly, the current problem is that when I click print from my computer, my printer displays "printing document" and yet nothing is printed. It stays like that forever.
How do I solve this problem?

HP Color Laser Jet 2840, scanner error 2 by camusmd (1/27/13 7:12 PM) reply + / -
Does anyone know what "Scanner Error 2, Turn off then on" mean? I turned the main power off, then on, several times but this still comes up.

Thanks,

Luis

HP Color Laser Jet 2840, scanner error 2 by camusmd (1/27/13 7:18 PM) reply + / -
Does anyone know what "Scanner Error 2, Turn off then on" means? I turned the main power off, then on, several times but this still comes up.

Thanks,

Luis

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by madonnah (7/21/14 11:33 AM) reply + / -
My HP 2840 has always worked wonderfully. Today it is throwing a 10.1004 supply error code? It tells me to reinstall (I am guessing the drum since there is a ? over the drum icon. I tried taking it out and reinserting but that did not help. All toners are doing ok) What is that and how do I fix it? I only use HP drums/toners no after-market items.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by KJ1110 (edited 7/21/14 3:20 PM) reply + / -
From the Service Manual:

10.000x Supply Error

E-label canít be read or print cartridge is not
properly installed.

1. Reinstall print cartridge.
2. Power cycle device.
3. If the problem is not solved, replace the cartridge.

As you've tried both 1 and 2, it looks like you might have a bad drum unit.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by dmzcompute (7/21/14 3:48 PM) reply + / -
If you have an old toner cartridge available you could try removing the chip from the cartridge and replacing the chip on the image drum with the toner chip. Sometimes that works and saves the cost of a new drum unit.

Re: HP Laserjet 2840, various problems by Topgun14 (7/22/14 5:00 AM) reply + / -
My 2840 fax capability has worked fine for years.

For whatever reason, now the fax won't receive an incoming fax. It doesn't seem to allow the extension phone the ability to go through the four rings it used to, then answer. The fax "grabs" the call immediately but then doesn't seem to be able to answer that call.

I did a factory reset on settings and that didn't change anything.

2840 was working fine and now is not. I can't figure this out!

Thanks in advance for any ideas on how to fix my 2840 fax. Thx.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters