fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP LaserJet 4000/4100 - C8061X toner cartridge

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP LaserJet 4000/4100 - C8061X toner cartridge by hotbird (5/9/07 5:15 AM) reply + / -
Hello,

I've recently bought a refurbished HP LaserJet 4000 printer. It came with the C8061X toner cartridge inside which is the high yield toner cartridge (10000 pages at 5% coverage). I've read that this cartridge was made for the 4100 series but that it is backwards compatible with the 4000 series.

I want to refill it. I found out how and where to make the hole in the cartridge, but I've read that it has a smart chip to detect the toner level inside.

My question is if I can only refill it without changing the smart chip (I think I can do this myself). The printer has an option to continue printing even if the (reported) toner is low.

Thank you very much :)

Re: HP LaserJet 4000/4100 - C8061X toner cartridge by mcprinter (5/9/07 5:25 AM) reply + / -
The cartridge has a smart chip but your 4000 does not have a smart chip reader. So you should have no problems caused by the chip.

It only works with the 4100 which has the internal electronics to read it.

I have heard that the chip can be reset in a 4100 by fooling the cover switch and removing or inserting the cartridge. Never tried it though.

Re: HP LaserJet 4000/4100 - C8061X toner cartridge by Stephen (edited 5/9/07 7:25 AM) reply + / -
I would recommend against refilling, it will eventually lead to a toner spill in your machine. The cartridge has a waste compartment that will overflow, it also has a cleaning blade that will wear out.

You would be better off buying a reasonably priced replacement.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/specials/toner

Re: HP LaserJet 4000/4100 - C8061X toner cartridge by hotbird (5/9/07 9:15 AM) reply + / -
mcprinter:

Thank you very much for the fast reply. I think I will go on and drill the refill hole into the cartridge.

One more question: how does the printer know that the toner is low if it can't read the smart chip?

Stephen:

I already have some toner for this printer that I don't want to throw away. After I will consume it I will buy some compatible toner cartridge.

Regarding the waste compartement, I've read that it can also be emptied by making a hole into it.

Re: HP LaserJet 4000/4100 - C8061X toner cartridge by Stephen (5/9/07 9:39 AM) reply + / -
And what were your plans for the cleaning blade?

Try the link I posted and consider an OEM cartridge before you buy a compatible.

Think of me when you open your printer and see toner spilled. (remember the only safe way to clean it out is with a toner vacuum, or take it outside, remove the fuser, and blow it out)

Re: HP LaserJet 4000/4100 - C8061X toner cartridge by hotbird (5/9/07 1:52 PM) reply + / -
I've read that you can remove that part also, when the print quality begins to degrade. For now the cartridge performs very well, another reason to refill it.

If I empty the waste hopper can the toner still spill ?

Thanks for the link, I'll buy another cartridge when this will eventually fail.

Re: HP LaserJet 4000/4100 - C8061X toner cartridge by moe (5/9/07 4:18 PM) reply + / -
AAARGGHH! Drilling holes in perfectly good cartridges disturbs me no end. That technology died with the CX printers. Those took a security torx bit to disassemble, so the "refillers" came up with "drill and fill". Then the internet toner scammers came up with "burn and fill". Yeah, that's all they are "scammers", marking up toner 600% or more and deluding the victim into thinking they are saving money. There are lots of instructions on the internet on doing it the right way, but you're going to drill holes all over the cartridge and then you'll be back to ask what to do with all the toner inside your printer.

Re: HP LaserJet 4000/4100 - C8061X toner cartridge by lyleneander (5/9/07 9:34 PM) reply + / -
We are remanufacturers of toner cartridges. HP 4000/4100 cartridges will fail, guaranteed, if you replace toner and don't replace the wiper blade and PCR (positive contact roller) and clean them out properly. It will start streaking and fading. Also toner not made specifically for this machine will cake up on the fuser and start jamming the paper and/or coming off the fuser and leaving spots on the page. Bad idea. You split these cartridges very simply by undoing some screws on the end plate. Don't drill holes. My advice is buy a decent remanufactured product. You will be happier in the ling term. Ask for a C4127X toner replacement.

Re: HP LaserJet 4000/4100 - C8061X toner cartridge by hotbird (5/10/07 1:58 AM) reply + / -
Thank you all for the valuable informations.

Also, for those of you interrested in the subject, I found this:

HP LaserJet 4000 (Cartridge Remanufacturing Instructions
http://www.rechargermag.com/articles/31259/

Re: HP LaserJet 4000/4100 - C8061X toner cartridge by roy hanson (12/11/14 12:10 PM) reply + / -
lots of bad info. do not drill and fill. with a screw driver take it apart.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters