fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by CBroome (4/26/07 11:32 AM) reply + / -
I've just been given an HP4550DN with a JetDirect 610N card.

The previous owner said the printer would "occasionally lose network connectivity".

The printer powers up and runs the self-tests successfully.

But when I want to configure the JetDirect through the front panel, all I see are parallel port I/O options. There no menu items for EIO.

I tried moving the 610N card between EIO ports 1 & 2, but it doesn't make any difference.

1. Am I overlooking something obvious ? - Yes, I did read the manual but it was pretty vague in this area.

2. Is it likely that the JetDirect card has died and needs replacing ? Is there any other way to test it ?

Thanks,

Chris B.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Sharpie (edited 4/26/07 12:10 PM) reply+1 + / -
Its a bad jetdirect card, I'm sure if you look on the configuration page under installed options, the 610N isn't there. You'll have to replace the card if you want a network connection again. In my experience doing a cold reset to the printer didn't help in the long run, card always came back & failed eventually if it started working at all. You could send Moe an email he might have some 600 series cards, those work great still.

moe@fixyourownprinter.com

Re: Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (4/26/07 12:27 PM) reply + / -
Thank you Sharpie !

-- Chris B.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by moe (4/26/07 3:00 PM) reply + / -
I ran out of 600N cards. Had 2 610N and 1 615N cards go bad in the past week. Too bad they weren't all 615Ns as HP is still replacing those free. All I have in stock at present are 620Ns and they're all brand new.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by dmzcompute (4/26/07 5:16 PM) reply+3 + / -
Ok folks I was told an old trick to get the 610N working and believe it or not out of 7 bad cards I acutally go 5 of them going and they are still working. Here is what you need to do. If you place the card down with the connection to the printer in front there is a big black chip labeled Phillips Arm. To the left is a small silver piece which looks like an old crystal piece. Now you need to get a real good hair dryer which puts out hi temp heat. You then need to point the hair dryer putting it close to the chip in the left and front corner of the chip and keep heating it for 1 to 2 minutes at very high heat. There are solder joints below the chip which you can not reach and evidently a couple of them become cold joints and if the hair dryer is hot enought and you keep in pointed at that location for the alloted time it sometimes repairs the cold solder joints. I would like to see as many people post back there resutls who try this either with success or not just to see if I am imagining the results I got or it really works good.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by cwegener (4/30/07 9:09 AM) reply + / -
Good advice! I didn't use a hairdryer but a soldering iron and it worked. Now we will see for how long.

Thanks, dmzcompute.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Sharpie (4/30/07 9:38 AM) reply + / -
I think I have a 610 laying around somewhere, I'll have to see if I can find it & try it, thx for the info DMZ. I'll post my results if I can find the card

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by moe (4/30/07 11:52 AM) reply + / -
Hairdryers won't work. They don't put out enough heat. You need an industrial heat gun that puts out more heat. I tried it on the 2 I had. The printer wasn't seeing either one before I heated it and it came right up on the display afterwards. I heated it for 10-15 seconds. The industrial guns cost about $200. I got mine for $7 at an auction. I had 2, but one broke. The new model has a nifty LCD display and variable temp settings. Mine just has cold and "start fires" settings. I guess I can't complain for $7 and over 10 years of use.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Stephen (4/30/07 1:47 PM) reply + / -
Moe,

Some hairdryers might work.

I checked with my brother who has an engineering degree, but I think the heat gun would be better.

DMZ fixed his with a hair dryer.

ST

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by moe (4/30/07 2:08 PM) reply + / -
I just assumed that since you couldn't get yours to work that it was because the hair dryer wasn't putting out enough heat. It takes a lot of heat to melt solder. I wouldn't trust using a soldering iron in all that delicate circuitry. Too easy to slip and wipe something out. Didn't know dmz used a regular hair dryer on his. I've had several and some put out more heat than others, but the mfgs. don't want them getting too hot because some dummy will set his hair on fire and sue. I'm saving up for that nifty digital display one. Love my toys.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by dmzcompute (4/30/07 2:32 PM) reply + / -
Its my sister's conair deluxe model and it puts out a lot of heat. One of the hotest I ever encountered. I first tried to hold the card by the back where the rj45 connector is located and the air dryer was so hot that I could not hold on and had to lay the card on a hardwood floor and point the air dryer at the area in question.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by ghabeeb (5/1/07 8:15 PM) reply+1 + / -
I tied the trick out and it worked pretty good on a 610n running in an HP 4050. I will try it again at work on HP2200's - I have 3 more to

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by rkm0 (5/24/07 5:40 PM) reply + / -
I can add my thumbs up to this trick, although I read about it on HP's user forum. Used a hairdryer (a Revlon 1800 watt model) to bring my JetDirect 610n back from the dead: just heated both sides for about 5 minutes each and it worked!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by pld (10/16/07 5:06 AM) reply + / -
Had the same problem here with my HP2200D (not sure what board it is, parallel, iR and USB interface), same story, big square BGA (Ball grid array) chip and intermittent failures ( all 3 lights fixed on permanantly).

Hit it with the heatgun for about 2 minutes at 300'C and 5cm away, waving it around a little to warm up the board, then flicked over to 500'C at about 5cm from the board, working around the edges of the chip a bit too for another minute or two then left it to cool.

If it doesn't work, try again for a bit longer.

Now I can hope to see another couple of years out of this very reliable printer.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (11/2/07 1:09 PM) reply + / -
I just got an HP4100 wich didn't show the Jetdirect on status page.

After heating about one minute for each side, the 610n is working. Thank you for this trick!!!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (12/1/07 1:43 PM) reply + / -
This trick worked for me today on a 610N - 4100TN Laserjet.

About 2-minutes of hot air from a Revlon 1850 dryer, let it cool for a min or so and put it back into EIO1. Jobs started printing right away.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by anonymous (12/2/07 5:12 PM) reply + / -
Thank you for this fix.
I only had a 1250 watt hair dryer.
Just covered some of the air intake with
my hand and ran it at low. Got nice and hot.
Couple of minutes, both sides on a HP 610n jetdirect.
Webjetadmin sees the MAC again. AWESOME.

JetDirect 610N heat-gun repair by sergios100 (12/4/07 12:25 PM) reply + / -
The fix worked perfectly for me! At the university somebody throwed away a HP Jetdirect 610N. I picked it out of the recycle bin and took it home where I put it Into my printers. It wasn't even recognized :-( So I saw the hint with the industrial heat gun here and just gave it a try, and it workded perfeclty! Two thumbs up. This cold solder seems to be quite often a problem as I got my dead iBook back to life using the same method :-)

I had a 2000W Black&Decker heat-gun and pointed it at the maximum temperautre for about 10-15s just above the Philips ARM Processor. As soon as the plastic of the Printer-Connector began to melt it stopt it. Perhaps a heat-gun with a smaller output hole would have been even better for this job, but the card works now anyway.

Re: Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Larry Asbell (12/11/07 11:56 AM) reply + / -
Fantastic Fix. It certainly works. Thank for finding and posting it!

I did it with a hairdryer too.

It's interesting to think about why this fixes the problem with this board. A cold joint can be only fixed by heating it with a soldering tool to the melting point of solder (360 to 370 F) so that the solder reflows.

I don't think our hot air blowers, as hot as they are, are hot enough. If they were then the small surface mounted components nearby would be loosened and blow off.

I suspect there is some other flaw with in this chip that is somehow "repaired" by the application of heat.

In a quick search of the web, I cannot find any other descriptions of cold solder joints in any other devices being fixed by hot air. In fact if you Google the words "cold solder joint hair dryer" you get this thread as the top result! None of the other top hits tell of similar fixes. Lots of diagnostic testing with head and using heat shrink tubing, but no fixing cold joints.

Re: Re: Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by moe (12/11/07 1:46 PM) reply + / -
That's how they solder the surface mount chips in the factory. Did you think they did all the soldering with a soldering iron? They put the chips on the board and hit it with hot air. I remember seeing one of the industrial units once at an auction.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by stace_felder (1/9/08 10:50 AM) reply + / -
Add me to the list of hair dryer converts! Took two applications of heat but it did the job.

My specs:
HP LaserJet 4100N
HP DirectJet 610
Vidal Sassoon 1600

Thanks for all the help!

Stace

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by DAbbott (3/5/08 1:44 PM) reply + / -
Does anyone know if this fix works for the 615 as well??

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by moe (3/5/08 3:17 PM) reply + / -
As far as I know, HP is still replacing the 615Ns with new 620Ns under an extended warranty. Otherwise, it might work. The way I see it, the card is dead. Heating it up couldn't make it any worse. It will either resurrect it or it would still be dead.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by superfresh (4/8/08 11:49 AM) reply + / -
Add me to the list. Th HP printer's EIO port stopped recognizing the jetdirect and showed a solid activity light on card. Using a heat gun got it working. I had my doubts at first, but after heating it for about a minute on top and a few seconds on the bottom it worked. The heat gun was strong, so I used low heat about 4" to 5" away from the chip. I wonder how long its going to last? Thanks for everyone's input.

Using: jetdirect 610n

Re: Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by John Shifflett (4/23/08 12:36 PM) reply + / -
Hi everyone. My brother's lab does a lot of custom prototyping with multilayer boards and surface-mount components, so I talked to him about the heatgun method after my 610N died. Turns out he uses a precisely-controlled oven for his soldering; he says he'd be worried about hotspots with a hairdryer, not to mention the possibility of literally blowing the tiny surface-mount resistors off the board once their solder melted. He says it's not at all uncommon to have bad solder joints due to inadequate amounts of solder paste applied to a few pads before the components are stuck on.

His recommendation:
- preheat my kitchen oven to 400 fahrenheit (mine has a reliable digital readout - a thermometer would also work)
- remove the plastic bezel and any stickers from the 610N card
- arrange for some kind of support to make sure the top and bottom surfaces of the board are horizontal and completely exposed to air (I found 4 screws that fit the holes around the outside edges, attached them so the board looked like a low-standing coffee table)
- quickly open the oven door, pop the board in, and close the door
- wait 5 minutes (not much more than 6) for the board to reach 400 degrees
- open the door, very gently remove the board (solder will be liquid at this point, but surface tension should prevent parts from slipping around if you're careful), and let it cool down to room temperature on its own
- re-attach the plastic bezel, and put it back in the printer!

My 610N that I had totally given up for dead has now been working perfectly for a month, thanks to all you guys. Hopefully this alternate method will prove useful to someone...

John S

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by JLoucks (4/28/08 9:56 AM) reply + / -
That actually worked! lol. Crazy!

Thanks

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by superfresh (6/2/08 9:50 AM) reply + / -
Since I last posted, the Jetdirect went out twice. I do the same procedure again, and it worked. This time I heated it longer. Next time it goes down, I'm considering putting it in the oven. ultimately, I think this is a temporary solution.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (8/26/08 2:39 AM) reply + / -
Hi all, nice discovery. I have a 615n which I heated for 30 secods each side an dit now works like a charm.

Re: More success with heat on JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (10/30/08 9:14 AM) reply + / -
Add me to the list of happy people who have brought their JetDirect cards back from the dead using this technique.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by moe (10/30/08 10:18 AM) reply + / -
I used to use the heatgun technique, but I switched over to the oven heating method. It seems to last longer and it evenly melts all the solder joints, rather than selective ones.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by runnetworks (12/19/08 9:24 PM) reply + / -
I can't believe I just fixed my jetdirect card by baking it for 5 minutes. It works!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by NY Brian (1/1/09 10:01 AM) reply + / -
Hi Everyone -

Tried the hairdryer routine on my dead JetDirect 610N (on an HP 4100N) and it brought it to life for about 2 minutes - as soon as it cooled down the connectivity was lost again. Would baking it provide better results? (The reason I didn't do this first is that the plastic bezel is held on by some screws with weird phillips-type star head screws - no idea where to find a proprietary-looking screwdriver like this.

If not - do they still make el cheapo parallel port print servers?

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (1/1/09 10:10 AM) reply + / -
I tried the heat gun and it didn't work. Baking it worked the first try. I think it was 350 for 5 minutes. It's a standard star screwdriver. My crafstman worked perfectly.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by DavidGo (2/10/09 12:12 PM) reply + / -
I tried it a couple of times...the first several times I would get the printer to see the 610n board, but it would start failing again after it cooled down.

The last time I heated it so much the crystal fell out (oops...), but at least I had proof the solder melted. Seems to be working now!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (3/23/09 10:58 AM) reply + / -
Used the oven method with a failed 615N card, worked like a dream. Thanks!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by capz (3/30/09 10:45 AM) reply + / -
I also just fixed a 615n with the oven method. We initially had an out of warranty wireless Jetdirect that failed. An ''authorized HP technician'' said to junk it. Who knew?! Thanks!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (4/19/09 6:29 PM) reply + / -
holly cow! who thought that something that makes my wife beautiful in the morning, would fix a print server. used the hair dryer method, plugged it in and worked right away. we will see how it lasts

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (5/22/09 8:01 AM) reply + / -
I tried the oven approach last night and WOW, IT WORKED!! I'm going to start baking everything that stops working like toasters, televisions, and the kitchen sink :P

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (6/7/09 11:35 PM) reply + / -
I've tried to heat 3 units of 610N cards in oven at 200C for 5 minutes. And - no results. Cards don't work :(

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (6/8/09 8:20 AM) reply + / -
I think it was 350 for 5 minutes.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (6/15/09 2:04 AM) reply + / -
As recommended by this thread, I just used an heat gun for less than 30 seconds on a JetDirect 615n card that had ceased functioning, and now it is working. I was skeptical, but the results were impressive. I got it hot enough to burn/melt some of the labels, but the card seems to be functioning well. Thank you for the advice.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (7/7/09 9:03 PM) reply + / -
Used the Heat Gun method and it's working now!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (8/3/09 3:18 PM) reply + / -
I Used the Heat Gun method with a BRAUN 1250W (Germany) and the 615N card comes back to life!
AMAZING! Thanks for that...

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Rob S (8/4/09 8:23 AM) reply + / -
I have fixed 2 615 cards and one 610 card with a heat gun.
I also tried it on a LJ P2015 with out any luck, oh well those printer are not worth the air it took to try it.

Rob S

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by RayWest (8/16/09 9:54 PM) reply + / -
I tried the oven method with an apparently dead JetDirect 615n, after a cold reset failed to make the card appear in the print configuration printout.

I put the JetDirect on a plate, horizontal position, chip side down. Then I baked it for five minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.

That fixed the card, but it melted the tan colored molded plastic that forms a handle for inserting and removing the card. Removing that warped plastic took a while. While the handle per se is not necessary, the same plastic piece projects across the back plate to receive two little Torx screws that hold the card in place. I eventually managed to cut the rest of the plastic away and left just the plastic 'nuts.'

Installed the JetDirect, followed HP's instructions for using telnet to access the card's setup at 192.0.0.192, changed the IP, and now it works fine.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by dmzcompute (8/17/09 5:17 AM) reply + / -
The oven trick is well documented and if you had read previous posts it tells you to remove the back plate before heating and also to prop up the card using screws or whatever in the 4 holes one in each corner. Also the recommended temp is 400 degrees in a convection oven for 5 minutes. Remove a let cool at room temp before putting back together and trying.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by mrslyter (8/23/09 6:14 PM) reply + / -
Anyone know for sure if the 610N will work in a HP 8550? and if so where's a good place to get one and what's a reasonable price? And finally is used an acceptable alternative for the price? I have no problems with used, sometimes it's better, well at least cheaper.
Thanks

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Rizon (8/23/09 6:36 PM) reply + / -
It should work. I checked on eBay and the current price for a 610N is under $20 shipped.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by mrslyter (8/24/09 4:06 AM) reply + / -
Thanks!!! Any issues with used or is new or refurbished the way to go?

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by mrslyter (8/24/09 4:21 PM) reply + / -
Just wondering what style of 610N I need for the HP 8550, There are different ones on amazon and ebay or does it not matter?
Thanks
mrslyter@kanabec.net

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by moe (8/24/09 4:25 PM) reply + / -
It doesn't matter. Good luck getting one that works.

Re: Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by mrslyter (edited 8/24/09 5:02 PM) reply + / -
Would a different card work better? if so which one?
Thanks!!!

Re: HP 4000TN with JetDirect 610N by dstorlie (9/28/09 7:08 AM) reply + / -
Just tried it with a heat gun and it worked like a charm after 2 minutes of warming. Thanks

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by John Shifflett (9/28/09 9:16 AM) reply + / -
Thanks, dmzcompute, for reiterating the basic instructions for the oven method; people are not likely to backtrack to the original post. Since being baked almost a year and a half ago, my 610N has worked flawlessly, and I don't even worry about knocking on wood anymore.

By the way - after the 5 minutes are up, it's somewhat safer and simpler to just turn off the oven, open the door all the way, and let the board cool off in situ; doesn't take that much longer and there's less chance of burned fingers or slipping components.

About the recommended temperature of 400 fahrenheit: The various lead-based solders melt somewhere between 350 and 400. Lead-free solder (which melts at much higher temps) wasn't really in use before 2006, so it seems probable that any 610 board will re-solder itself at 400 without getting fried. If you're worried about heat damage, maybe try 375 the first time and bump it up if the board fails again later.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Andrew Jackson (10/13/09 1:53 AM) reply + / -
Personally, I stand amazed. I baked my 610n board at roughly 400F (my oven sucks, and the thermostat is wildly inaccurate) on an oven-safe dish of just the right size to suspend the board off the plate surface by the board's corners. By the way, the two little screws holding the back plate on are called Torx head screws. I opened the oven and turned off the heat after 5 minutes. I let the board cool in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes before I removed it. Then I took it outside on a cold Fall day in the Northwest to let it cool faster. After about an hour, I put it back in my LJ-2200, and the dang thing came right up. It still had all its settings.

I've frozen hard drives in last-ditch data recovery efforts, but I've never baked a populated PCB -- or any PCB, for that matter -- and had it not only survive, but actually function as intended. That blows my mind. I paid $10US for that card a few years ago at a local technology refurbishing/recycling shop, so if I get a further year and a half of functionality, I'd say that I more than got my $10 worth.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (10/29/09 3:48 PM) reply + / -
Had a JetDirect 615N card that had died - printer couldn't find the card anymore. Printer was outside of warranty, and the card itself was just outside of HP's JetDirect replacement program.

I was planning on buying a new card, but stumbled across the "oven method" on another post, which led me to this forum.

As described above, removed the plastic backplane on the card, suspended it in an oven dish and placed in an oven pre-heated to approx 400F (205C) for five minutes. Then opened the door of the oven and let it cool gradually.

Re-attached the backplane and put the card back in the printer. IT WORKS! Thanks to all of you for this info. Saved me a few bucks buying a new card if nothing else.

I'm guessing that HP's soldering on this card is fairly dodgy, and that the solder joints crack or something after a while (maybe due to thermal expansion after the card has been used for a while...) Obviously putting it in the oven causes the bad joint to re-flow and come good again. Typical HP hardware...

Thanks again :-)

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by youngakw (12/4/09 2:43 PM) reply + / -
My previously dead HP 610n netword card is now working! Couldn't ping it and kept getting I/O error msg on my 7 year old HP 4100n with duplex attachment. Used 1875 watt hair blower, taped to a stack of folders, with the nozzle pointed down, one-half inch from the black chip with the word "ARM". The first 6 minute heating did not work. But after the second 6 minute heating, the card came alive! Hope this fix will last another 7 years.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Gilles Vollant (1/3/10 5:53 PM) reply + / -
This worked also for me on a 610n. (6 minutes on kitchen oven 400 fahrenheit / 205 celsius)

Can we explain this ? This is strange,no ?

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by moe (1/3/10 7:06 PM) reply + / -
Not strange at all. They stopped using lead in solder and the newer solder doesn't hold up very well. Heating it reflows the cracked solder connections.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Gilles Vollant (1/4/10 6:20 PM) reply + / -
thank again, I fixed a total of 4 jetdirect 610N
(one needed go to oven twice)

I just want ask the user who begin the operation near one year ago : can we consider these card reliable for working several month, several year ? do you have good experience after running several month?

Re: Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by John Shifflett (1/4/10 10:10 PM) reply + / -
Gilles - I've only baked one 610 card; I believe others in this forum have much more experience with them. But I can tell you that mine is still functioning perfectly, and it's been close to 2 years since its date with the oven. Before that, I had revived it several times with a hairdryer but it always failed again within 24 hours; I'd like to think that this means that the original faulty solder joints were permanently repaired, but I guess I'll never know for sure.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by DavidGo (1/5/10 5:22 AM) reply + / -
I used a heat gun on my card in February 2009, and had to re-bake it again at the end of December.

Your Mileage May Vary....these faults are clearly the solder joints, and there is no way to tell whether the same joint or some other one is failing each time.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Zap (1/20/10 9:07 AM) reply + / -
Wohoo, this is awesome thread!

Tank you dmzcompute for your info, tried with a solder torch, worked ok for 30min or so. Torched again, worked for a moment and died again :/

Then took the extreme measures and baked that card for 5min in 200 celcius, and now there is a shortcut some where, printer wont boot with the card inside, lol.

So to awoid shortcuts after baking, shut down oven and leave door open for a while, dont move that hot card untill it has coolen down a bit ;)

Will give second card a go tomorrow :)

Regards
Zap
http://www.solja.net <- Best Youtube Videos

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Zap (1/21/10 7:38 AM) reply + / -
2nd Card worked like a charm after Baking :D

Thank you all!

Regards
Zap
http://www.solja.net <- Best Youtube Videos

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (2/24/10 7:43 AM) reply + / -
Just baked mine for 5 mins @ 200C. Now works a treat.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Articular (2/25/10 5:34 AM) reply + / -
Guys, this is great! just baked the LAN card at 400 for 5 mins, while baking some cookies and it hasn't dropped the connection yet!

Re: Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Sloop (3/13/10 4:50 AM) reply + / -
Hi Guys

I've got a second-hand 4550DN in excellent condition with only 8,000 pages through it, and fitted it with a replacement 610N card off eBay that came with a test page to show it was working. The original card didn't show up on the config page even after a cold reset.

I simply can't get DHCP to work, and I can't seem to access the manual IP setup either.

I've followed the HP instructions on bpl08785 for setting up DHCP several times, both on and offline.

I've cold reset several times.

I've tried every combination of TCP/IP settings apart from a manual address which, as I said, I can't seem to access.

On the config page (and I've got dozens of them) I get-

TCP/IP

DEFAULT IP CONFIGURED
CONTINUING TO DHCP

Host Name: NP153556D5
IP Address: 192.00.192
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.00.192
Config by: Default IP
BOOTP/DHCP Server: Not Specified
TFTP Server: Not Specified
Config File: Not Specified
Domain Name: Not Specified
DNS Server Not Specified
WINS Server:Not Specified
Idle Timeout: 270 seconds
Web JetAdmin URL: Not Specified

Firmware version: L.25.08

I use Macs and Mac OS 10.5 and below will see the printer using the AppleTalk protocol, so the card works, but 10.6 does not have AppleTalk so I need to use DHCP. Apple's Bonjour will see the printer but won't print to it. As the printer is a bit long in the tooth that's fairly understandable.

Any ideas?

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by mbpolak (3/15/10 8:39 AM) reply + / -
I guess this trick would also work in our kitchen oven, in the hot air function? Not in microwave, ofcourse,.....
mark

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by hokiemike09 (4/1/10 9:34 AM) reply + / -
Thanks dmzcompute! We had 2 cards that had gone bad within 1 month. I tried the hair dryer and it indeed fixed 1 of them! I would never have thought to try this on my own. I have heard the oven trick works on some too if the hair dryer isn't hot enough. Might try the hair dryer a bit longer on the other one first before I try that. I'll put another post up here if that works. Thanks so much!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by samop (4/13/10 9:50 AM) reply + / -
Amazing... Heating the board on hotplate made it work again... Tnaks a lot for the tip!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by DavidGo (4/18/10 2:02 PM) reply + / -
Off topic, but I just did the same trick with the mainboard from a Samsung LN37N550 LCD TV. TV was kicking in a protection circuit which would switch it off whenever we connected a signal...

I was ready to order another one on Ebay, and as a last resort I put the mainboard in an oven at 400deg for 4 minutes, and it has been stable since!

In the future, the last step before sending any board without visible damage to the trash is to bake it in the oven....you never know!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Anonymous (5/15/10 7:38 AM) reply + / -
Guys, you saved my life!

my card worked for years... then some lan errors... and then no one complete print without a total block of the NIC.

So i heated the card/chip with a common hairdryer, one minute on the top side.... the hairdried blown up :) but the card started to works again!!! tnx!!!
1 day on the HP forum and nothing... 3 minutes here and here the solution!!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by ego888 (6/4/10 1:01 AM) reply + / -
I used an industrial heater blow gun to blow for 1 min. This fried my 610N totally. I did it again for 30 secs on 615N and this worked! Good thing I had one more spare.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Gixxer (6/15/10 3:31 PM) reply + / -
I used a hair dryer today, it came right back to life. I guess if it fails down the road, I will try the oven technique. I will also try the oven technique with the other one I have that's not working. Glad I didn't throw these away.

Re: Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Lurker (7/22/10 4:16 PM) reply + / -
By "something that makes your wife beautiful in the morning," I assumed you meant the stove. But I see now that you meant the hair dryer. :)

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by skippyR (7/23/10 12:49 PM) reply + / -
WOW I cant believe it. We just fixed 4 of them. Took 1 minute each with an industrial heat gun. I saw the crystal move, turned off the gun and made sure the crystal was gently pressed against the board. Now i wish i still had all the ones we got rid of in the past. Oh well

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Johnjbgb (9/2/10 6:01 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for posting this information. I put it in the oven at 400F for 5 minutes (propped up on 4 screws) and it works like a charm!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by jraper (10/4/10 2:19 PM) reply + / -
The oven trick worked like a champ for me - I had a 615N that had quit working altogether. I fashioned two wire supports from a coathanger, and baked in the oven for 5 minutes @ 400 Degrees F. The only trick was that the supports were not perfectly level, so one of the larger surface mount resistors or capacitors (don't remember which it was) slid out of where it was supposed to be slightly. fortunately it was still making a good solder joint. I allowed the board to cool for about 10 minutes, unplugged the printer, put the card in, powered the printer up, and immediately two print jobs printed off - it never lost its settings!

So, make sure your support (whatever you use) is perfectly level, and you should be fine. If you can afford the time, I would even open the oven door and let the board cool in the oven with the door open, so that you don't run the risk of parts shifting while the solder is still fluid.

Cheers!

Jonathan

Baked JetDirects by Euthymia (10/4/10 9:56 PM) reply + / -
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks.

I ovened 2 610N's (not recognized at all) and a 615N (recognized, but saying that the f/w upgrade was incomplete) at 375 F for 5 minutes and now they all work perfectly.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by jubjub (10/26/10 5:51 AM) reply + / -
I have an 8 year old 4100n with a 610n card that lost network connectivity last week. I determined that the NIC card had failed , so I bought a new card from e-bay($25.00) and got the machine working again.

During my research as to how to repair the printer I saw several oblique references to "baking" the card. I found this thread and decided to put the old card in the oven @ 400 degrees for 5 minutes.

I put the old card back in the machine and it functions perfectly.

Thanks to all.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by IntouchPcDesigns (11/16/10 1:29 AM) reply + / -
Well I own a computer shop in East Stroudsburg, Pa and i use an HP 4100n for my b/w invoices everyday for years.. I have it networked in obviously so i can print for anywhere in my shop.. Well Just 2 days ago my printer would not print ...no network.. So i did the obvious cold reset and it would just keep getting stuck on the dual asterisk bars and never go to ready... Well after pulling the jetdirect and unplugging and plugging back in it worked fine.. therefore i knew it was the card..

Well i found this forum and thought i would try it.... first with the hairdryer just seemed like the safe way...

i used a 1875w hair dryer for 5 minutes and nothing

So i tried the Baking trick using 2 toothpicks in each corner to suspend it up from the baking dish and hold it level

375degrees for 6 minutes and a gradual cool down about 10 minutes

SURE ENOUGH IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM THANKS ALOT

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by sonofmo (12/30/10 9:37 AM) reply + / -
Add me to the list of incredulous readers who resurrected a dead 610n. Who'da thunk it? 5 minutes @ 400, turn off oven, open & let cool. Reinstalled & it came right up. Thanks.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by clrogow (2/9/11 11:06 PM) reply + / -
after be reading this whole thread i thought i would try and it worked for me too. I set oven to 385 for 5 min. thanks so much. lol

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Keessie (3/10/11 8:27 AM) reply + / -
The hair dryer tip worked as well for me today.
Let's see for how long it will last!

Thanxs!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Drizzle (5/18/11 11:18 AM) reply + / -
Just had the same problem with a 615N card. A few minutes with a 1200W hair dryer sorted the problem.

Thanks for the tip!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by jrp78 (8/12/11 9:57 AM) reply + / -
Happy to report the oven worked on my 610N! Thanks!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Lutratek (10/27/11 4:06 PM) reply + / -
Used a heat gun for 2 minutes directed at the Phillips Arm chip only. The card now works great.

Thank you!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Keessie (10/28/11 2:01 AM) reply + / -
The first time i found this page a year ago i took the advise to use a heat gun.

However, after a few weeks i had to warm the processor every month.

Three months ago, i baked my card. Until today no problems. Thanxs a lot for the tips.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by oldskewel (1/27/12 9:58 AM) reply + / -
This worked for me recently: 615n, had been completely dead. 375F for 5 minutes in toaster oven.

It seems like the success rate is close to 100% as reported by others here.

Does anyone have ideas about the limitations of this repair method? Only appropriate for surface mount devices? Any different recipes for different board types? Any recommendations for a good wine to go with a freshly baked 615n?

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Rob S (1/27/12 11:30 AM) reply + / -
Melot

Re: Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by moe (1/27/12 8:59 PM) reply + / -
I think you mean Merlot.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by wayupnorth (6/13/12 8:13 PM) reply + / -
IT WORKS!

I was wondering just how elaborate this hoax was to generate such a long list of testimonials. But after I found the same fix in 3 or 4 other places I decided I had nothing to lose. My decade-old LJ 2200 network printer is back in business. Hurraayy!! I don't have to reconfigure printing on all my computers.

I blogged the recipe and my photos plus a bunch of other links at http://www.wayupnorth.ca/blog/2012/06/12/you-baked-what/

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by lalexan (8/9/12 1:17 PM) reply + / -
I'm so glad I found this thread! It works like a charm, and it is highly educative too. I followed the oven procedure and the results are extraordinary.(5min @ 375F, 10min cool down, voila)

I'd like to thank you all, for posting your experiences and sharing your methods. The accumulative effect of all those lessons, mistakes and success stories is what makes all the difference!

Baked my JetDirect 610N & it worked by zarguy (9/22/12 10:48 AM) reply + / -
It worked for me too! I did it in the oven at 400 F for 4 1/2 mins. Thanks for starting & contributing to this thread.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by eric111 (9/22/12 10:11 PM) reply + / -
I've had success baking formatter boards too. Just stuck 'em right into the oven, didn't even remove the batteries or capacitors.

And when I'm hungry, I like to throw a batch of chocolate chip cookies in with the circuit boards.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by eric111 (9/22/12 10:12 PM) reply + / -
I've had success baking formatter boards too. Just stuck 'em right into the oven, didn't even remove the batteries or capacitors.

And when I'm hungry, I like to throw a batch of chocolate chip cookies in with the circuit boards.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Bobby Evans (10/10/12 8:26 PM) reply + / -
Just fixed a 610 using this trick - 15 seconds with a $5 cigarette lighter based blow torch about 10cm away. Worked first go! Thanks a lot!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Plague1001 (12/7/12 7:45 PM) reply + / -
Well, I tried the hair dryer way first, and after 5 tries of over 5 minutes each, was still getting nothing.

I use the link provided above by wayupnorth about baking the card in the oven, and just like that it is working again. I amazed that this fixed the card. WOOT free network printer is awesome!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by vishesh (1/13/13 4:41 PM) reply + / -
Tried the oven method. 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Worked brilliantly!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by hyper (4/1/13 9:02 PM) reply + / -
One more happy card baker here. I've bought three of these cards for my now 12 year old printer. I'll bet I could have fixed all of them the same way.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by printryobi (4/6/13 11:24 AM) reply + / -
Put a heat gun to it and it works perfectly. Thanks for the great info.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by paragliding (7/16/13 12:12 PM) reply + / -
The heat gun did its job and the dead 610N comes back to life. This is definitely a manufacturing problem. Maybe Flextronics is the one to blame.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by MichaelTech (7/16/13 3:31 PM) reply + / -
This was great to read! Ive been gone for two years, but the "bake" methods work on a lot of older types of many cards for sure.
I usually used WebJet Admin to update the firmware and clear any IP issues on hundreds of these 610's. It's Bakin' time!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by susu (10/14/13 3:49 AM) reply + / -
Wow!!!thanks so much buddy it really works

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by poktor (10/27/13 2:49 PM) reply + / -
Same here in Holland. Have an old 4200tn with a Jetdirect 615n in it, which suddenly went dead. didn't show up in the config either. Heated the sides of the Philips ARM chip with my soldering iron for a minute on max heat, then allowed it to cool down. Put the card back in the printer and Presto! It works again! Thank you very much for this tip!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by Danubistheconcise (10/29/13 9:01 PM) reply + / -
Just used my friend's Conair 1800 series hairdryer for about a minute at 3cm from my HP JetDirect 610N card. I got it out of a Laserjet 4200 at University Surplus for $30. The trick worked, and I now have a working network printer out of the deal. Thanks for the tip, it's brilliant.

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by DinoFilias (12/18/13 5:13 PM) reply + / -
I encountered this problem tonight on my HP4050. I have a JetDirect 610N and printer was showing an EI0 Error 1. The 610N had all lights on solid green, and there was no menu selection for the EIO card. All internet research pointed to a bad JetDirect card. I spent 15 minutes looking at Amazon and ebay to buy a new card, and by TOTAL luck I stumbled upon this fix. I used a paint stripper heat gun and just blasted the board on both sides for about a minute per side. It totally fixed the problem!! Thanks so much for this fix!

Re: HP 4550DN with JetDirect 610N by djkaus (7/16/14 11:38 AM) reply + / -
This baking procedure worked for my JetDirect 615n that was not being detected at all in my HP 4050N.

Preheated oven to 200 deg C.
Removed plastic external shield from 615n card.
Used 1" bolts with nuts to space board horizontally off oven tray, with chips facing upwards.
Baked for 5 1/2 min.
Turn oven off, open door, allow board to cool.
Reinstall plastic external shield.
Now it works.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters