fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP Color LaserJet 3550 Density Sensor

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP Color LaserJet 3550 Density Sensor by Linda J. (4/11/07 4:54 PM) reply + / -
I have been attempting to print a newsletter with my HP Color LaserJet 3550 printer. Some pages include photographs, both color and black/white. The black/white photographs have a blue cast to them. The event log indicates the density sensor is out of range. I am told I must clean this. Can someone tell me where this sensor is located, what it will look like, and how to clean it? I appreciate any assistance, as this is all pretty foreign to me. Thank you.

Re: HP Color LaserJet 3550 Density Sensor by Stephen (4/11/07 4:58 PM) reply + / -
If you print a blank page does it also have a blue tint?

Density Sensor errors are often the result of a bad cartridge putting a light layer of toner on all prints.

Re: HP Color LaserJet 3550 Density Sensor by Linda J (4/11/07 6:18 PM) reply + / -
There is no blue tint when printing a blank page.

Thank you for responding.

Re: HP Color LaserJet 3550 Density Sensor by Anonymous (4/12/07 5:37 PM) reply + / -
Try running a full calibration 3 times in a row. Also, check if there is a newer firmware or especially a newer DC controller firmware. Also, are you running OEM cartridges or refills? Also I believe there is a new driver for the 3500 series on HP's beta driver website. www.hp.com/pond/ljbeta

Re: HP Color LaserJet 3550 Density Sensor by Sharpie (edited 4/19/07 1:53 PM) reply + / -
Well as Anonymous said run the full calibration, found under Configure device menu then print quality sub-menu. I never heard of running it 3x in a row though. Something else could be wrong if once didn't resolve it.

The newer models the sensor is at the top of the belt & runs across on a metal bar, I've seen them fall out of the holder somehow & cause this (but not sure if this model's sensor is at the same spot, without another belt to compare it could be very hard to see if its loose).

I had to edit this was looking at a 3500 the other day & sure the 3550 is very close. The density sensor locations are below the transfer belt, there are 2 & the left swing arm & right swing are have a brush at the bottom that should be wiping across the sensor when the front door is opened all the way. See the picture I posted (just above both #5s), picture is larger then I expected but should be clear enough to see.
http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/1965/clj3500sensorshc3.png

Re: HP Color LaserJet 3550 Density Sensor by Linda J. (5/3/07 11:02 AM) reply + / -
My sincere thanks to each of you for trying to help with this problem. A special thanks to Sharpie for the followup of finding the picture and posting it.

I was printing color brochures when I noticed the color quality was deteriorating. I set that aside and started printing a newsletter and noticed the black/white photos had a blue tint. The event log stated "density sensor out of range". That has been cleaned, but has not improved the quality of printing.

The most current drivers were installed prior to my first posting here. Since then the firmware has been updated as well.

Only genuine HP products have been used in this printer. I have had the printer since Jan 2006 and have printed just over 9K pages. The black toner cartridge had been replaced once, and the color cartridges were the orignial ones that came with the printer when I purchased it. Now new genuine HP toner cartridges have been installed in an effort to remedy this problem, but did not improve the print quality.

Another person in my area has this same printer and has done minimal printing as well, and has not updated drivers, firmware or changed cartridges, and is having no problems. I mention this only as an indicator for the condition of the replaced cartridges, having the same weather influence, etc.

The printer has gone through the "clean printer" cycle twice since the new cartridges were installed.

Recalibration has been performed numerous times thoughout the various attempts to resolve this issue.

After all this, the print quality has not improved, and if anything, has diminished further.

Unless someone has another suggestion for me to try to remedy the problem, I guess it is time to call HP.

Re: HP Color LaserJet 3550 Density Sensor by ercnk (2/27/08 8:20 AM) reply + / -
I have hp 3500 color laser printer. I m in trouble with error density sensor out of range.May you please tell me that where the location of density sensor is ?

Machine gives me density error out of range error. How can i fix or clean that part ? İf i can learn that parts location maybe i can solve this problem.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Re: HP Color LaserJet 3550 Density Sensor by Anonymous (6/10/08 12:14 AM) reply + / -
i get the same low quality printing of photos
can anyone help me please

Re: HP Color LaserJet 3550 Density Sensor by Anonymous (3/11/09 4:40 AM) reply + / -
Sorry for my english, i think the problem is in the laser unit, try to clean all the mirros inside it.
Good luck.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters