fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP Laserjet 4650 problem...

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by radical (3/19/07 11:07 AM) reply + / -
Hi, every time I print more than ONE item in Adobe InDesign I get the following page printed from my printer...

Error: Unable to store job at printer
Reason: Insufficient disk space for this job

Solution: Delete some files from the disk before resending this job

But I have plenty of free space on the disk and I can print multiple items from other software packages?

What do I do please? Any help is much appreciated, I need to print from Indesign all the time now.

Thanks,

Alex

P.S. We have another 4650 in the same building and that prints multiple items from Indesign fine???

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Stephen (3/19/07 1:14 PM) reply + / -
Compare the firmware versions of the printers.

It's saying the printer hard drive does not have enough space, does that printer have a hard drive installed?

You might also check and see if one printer has more installed memory.

Print the configuration pages to compare settings.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by radical (3/20/07 5:33 AM) reply + / -
Ok, just done that and both Memory settings are exactly the same???

Installed DIM Memory: 128mb
On Board Memory: 32mb
Total Memory: 160mb
DWS: 6.00
Automatice Resource Saving Enabled

I've cleared the completed jobs queue, I don't know what else to try?

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Stephen (edited 4/13/09 5:30 PM) reply + / -
What about the Firmware versions?

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by radical (3/20/07 6:17 AM) reply + / -
Firmware Version is the same on both: -

V.29.12.FF

Thanks!!!

HP Color Laserjet 4650 Hard Drive Insufficient Disk Space by Stephen (edited 3/20/07 6:24 AM) reply + / -
You could try doing a hard drive initialization on the printer.

Does it actually have a hard drive installed?

I'd try this even if a drive was not installed.

To initialize the hard disk:

1 Turn the printer on.

2 As the printer performs its power-on sequence, press and hold the PAUSE/RESUME (HP Color LaserJet 4600 models) or MENU (HP Color LaserJet 4610n and 4650 models) button until all three lights on the control panel are lit.

3 Press the left arrow button The message INITIALIZE DISK appears on the control-panel display.

4 Press the check mark button, the printer initializes the hard disk and continues its power-on sequence.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by radical (3/20/07 7:42 AM) reply + / -
Hi mate, tried that, still no luck, this is crazy???

Thanks for the help though, any other suggestions?

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Stephen (3/20/07 11:26 AM) reply + / -
It just hit me that the firmware version you reported does not look right.

The printer firmware version is in the information block in the upper left corner of the config page.

The current version of the 4650 firmware is: 07.005.2

http://h20000.www2.hp.com

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by radical (3/21/07 6:00 AM) reply + / -
Hi Stephen,

On the config's the Firmware DATACODE for one printer is: 20040827 07.001.2
and the other (one with the problem) is: 20050524 07.003.3

Could this be the problem? How do I fix it?

Thanks again!

Alex

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Stephen (3/21/07 1:53 PM) reply + / -
Both are downlevel, it *could* be the problem.

You download the updates and instructions from HP, go to the driver page where the ON-SITE listings are and scroll down.

ST/Blackberry

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by radical (3/23/07 4:32 AM) reply + / -
Hi mate, yep done that, still no luck!

The Firmware datacode is 20060403 07.005.2

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by dmzcompute (3/23/07 5:03 AM) reply + / -
You still have not answered Stephen's question if you have ahard disk in the printer. One suggestion would be to change drivers from postscript to pcl or vice versa. Also make sure you tell the driver that you have 160 total meg ram. There is a setting under the advanced tab. If all does not work, best to contact Adobe since it may be an issue with their software.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Stephen (3/23/07 5:06 AM) reply + / -
That's all I can think of on the printer side without swapping parts.

You have prevented a potential non-resetable lock up by upgrading the one that was at: 20040827 07.001.2.

I'd also make sure all the driver settings were the same on all PC's.

Then I'd swap formatters between the machines.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by radical (3/26/07 6:38 AM) reply + / -
Yeah I'm having problems with other machines in the office now! They can't use it since I've updated the firmware. Not sure if it's got its own hard disk, how can I tell?

All I know is it's exactly the same as the other one, so why can that print multiple items and this one can't? That's why I thought it would be a simple setting problem?

Alex

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Stephen (3/26/07 7:05 AM) reply + / -
Hard drives in 4650 printers are mounted on EIO cards, so just see if there are any odd items in EIO slots, (same slots JetDirects plug into).

It would also be listed on the configuration page.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by radical (3/26/07 7:45 AM) reply + / -
Memory...

Installed DIMM Memory: 128mb
On Board Memory: 32mb
Total Memory: 160mb
DWS: 6.00
Automatic Resource Saving Enabled

Maybe if I disabled the automatic resource saving How would I do that?

Can't see any odd items in slots?

If I reset to factory settings will it reset the firmware datacode, think I should do that because the rest of the office cant use it???

Thanks for still replying, hope we get there.

Alex

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Stephen (3/26/07 10:01 AM) reply + / -
The firmware datecode will not change.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by radical (3/26/07 10:31 AM) reply + / -
Oh dear, so I've now made the situation worse.

Any other suggestions at all mate? Really could do with fixing this.

Any idea how to disable the automatic resource saving?

Alex

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Anonymous (3/26/07 11:38 AM) reply + / -
1. Does the issue ONLY happen with the one application?
2. If so, and you are using the PCL6 driver try switching to the PS driver. The PS driver works better with Adobe software in any case.
3. Update the firmware, you should always keep your firmware current. Firmware is stored in its own DIMM chip. A failure for firmware updates to take can indicate a problem with either your network or the firmware DIMM.
4. Cold reset the printer. This will restore all ADJUSTABLE settings to factory defaults. Remove any network cards BEFORE cold resetting the printer. Everything else can safely stay on board.

If all else fails isolate the printer from the network and attempt printing directly to the printer. If the problem persists then its definitely in the printer. If not, its a network problem and you need to go beat your IT person.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Stephen (3/27/07 5:50 PM) reply + / -
Radical,

Have you made any progress?

Is there any chance you could scan both config pages and post them online, or email them to me? (hint, click on the crossed tools)

ST

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Anonymous (10/5/07 11:47 AM) reply + / -
We're having this problem with a 5550. It seems that in the driver setup, mopier mode is diabled.

I can't enable mopier mode without adding more memory to the printer. We're at 160M now.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Stephen (10/5/07 3:34 PM) reply + / -
Then go to www.memory.com and buy more memory...

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Anonymous (10/5/07 6:27 PM) reply + / -
Enable the Ram disk.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Anonymous (10/16/07 12:25 PM) reply + / -
That's a good idea to buy more memory.

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Anonymous (12/5/07 7:49 AM) reply + / -
One thing is obvious, Stephen shouldn't be posting here.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Anonymous (12/5/07 2:00 PM) reply + / -
See if there is an update for the Adobe software you are using. I have seen some versions of Adobe not play nice with printers. Seriously. Reader 8.0 chokes the HP Color Laserjets. 8.1 works fine. Odd..

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Stephen (edited 12/5/07 5:39 PM) reply + / -
If I shouldn't be posting here, then I guess they need to delete about 6,000 posts, <g>.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/leaderboard

Re: Re: Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by moe (12/5/07 5:09 PM) reply + / -
Obviously, the thin air in Denver is affecting your brain functions. Perhaps you should consider moving closer to sea level. This is your first and only post on the forum, so if you can't contribute, I suggest you don't post any further. Stephen happens to be one of the better techs posting on the forum.

Forum Moderator

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Anonymous (12/10/07 5:24 AM) reply + / -
From the database:

HP Color LaserJet 4600 and 5500 Series Printers - Requirements and Method used to Configure the Printer for MOPY
Requirements and methods used to configure the printer for MOPY
This document presents the requirements of the HP Color LaserJet 4600 or 5500 series printers for MOPYing and the method used to configure the printer for Mopying. "MOPY" means Multiple Original Copies. To MOPY, the HP Color LaserJet 4600 and 5500 must have a Hard-Disk installed. When MOPYing, the printer driver sends only one copy of the print job from the computer to the printer. The print job is then stored on the printer Hard-Disk, from which additional copies of the print job are generated. The computer does not need to send each additional copy as a separate print job, freeing computer resources more quickly than when printing multiple copies in the conventional manner. MOPYing can also cut down on network traffic.

To configure the printer for MOPYing, perform the following steps:

Select Start, Settings, and Printers. (In Microsoft Windows XP, select Start, Control Panel, Printers and Other Hardware, Printers and Faxes, and View Installed Printers).
Right-click the CLJ4600 PCL6 or PCL 5c printer driver.
Left-click Properties.
Select the Configure tab and click the More button.
Place a check in the Printer Hard Disk check box.
Place a check in the Ignore Application Collation check box and click OK.
Click OK and close the Windows Printers folder.
Select File and Print from the software application.
Select the number of copies desired.
Click OK to print.
NOTE: When MOPYing, the printer's display will read "Processing Copy 1 of X," "Processing Copy 2 of X" (where X is the total number of copies selected).
If the printer is not equipped with a Hard Disk, purchase one (part number: J6054B) to enable MOPY capabilities.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by randa (3/18/08 7:16 AM) reply + / -
i'm having problems printing exactly in the middle of my page. i have a little more white space on the right side of page. i've tried to adjust in both publisher & adobe with no luck. so i think there is something on the printer that will need to be adjusted. any help would be most appreciated!!!!

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by dmzcompute (3/18/08 2:49 PM) reply + / -
You need to run a configuration page from the information menu and see if the margins on the left and right are the same. If not the only adjustment is that paper tray itself which really does not help much since it is just the left and right guides keeping the paper straight.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by moe (3/18/08 3:02 PM) reply + / -
I ran into the same problem with a 4650 recently. The pages were misaligned enough to where they would wrinkle intermittently when going through the fuser assy. This was when printing the config. page. I compared it with another 4650 and saw the difference in margins. I swapped trays with the other 4650 and the margins straightened out and no more wrinkles.

Re: HP Laserjet 5500dn problem... by Anonymous (3/20/08 1:22 PM) reply+2 + / -
I just got a new computer running Vista Business. Now I can't print multiple copies of a document..only 1 at a time. I get an error message: Unable to store job at printer. Printer not configured to collate. Install EIO hard disk.

I use a network printer and can still print all I want from other computers in the office. Is it Vista doing this? Can it be fixed without having to purchase the EIO hard disk?

thanks.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 multiple copies error by alanpater (5/1/08 8:57 AM) reply + / -
The post about MOBY has the key for this issue. If not hardrive is installed, MOBY (aka mopies) needs to be disabled. Cheaper and quicker then buying a hardrive.

HP laserjet 5500 pcl6 problems by SReed (5/27/08 8:28 AM) reply + / -
My HP printer is used in our network here at work, but there is one employee that some how locks up the printer everytime he is in the office. I have uninstalled/ reinstalled printer drivers, but nothing seems to work. I have even reinstalled the whole entire office suite on his system and that didn't work either.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Anonymous (5/29/08 10:03 AM) reply + / -
Hi all - I have a printer that's stumped 3 of us. A 4650 prints color then it just switches to B&W. She showed me a MSExcel print job - 7 pages - the first 5 were B&W, and the last 2 were in beautiful color.

It seems to print color according to its mood. :|

So far, all I've tried is deleting/re-adding the printer to the PC. I wanted to see if this is a common issue with a quick-n-easy fix before I try other PC's, re-image her existing PC, etc. (she's able to print to a 2605dn just fine - but that user is territorial about "his" printer :)

Any quick ideas?

T

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Mykel (7/30/08 3:35 AM) reply + / -
I used to have this issue too with a particular user on my network, but I uninstalled the printer driver and reinstalled it. That resolved the issue.

I hope this helps.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Anonymous (7/30/08 4:20 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Mykel. I wish I hadn't tried that already - didn't work for me.

I've actually formatted/re-installed the whole darn thing (WinXPPro).

Next, I'll try Divine intervention (prayer, voodoo, submerging the printer in water...)

Any other slightly less drastic ideas? Before I pull an Office Space on this printer? :D

T

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Anonymous (9/8/08 8:59 AM) reply + / -
what you need to do is go here http://h20000.www2.hp.com

Download the driver follow installation instructions and then go to the printer folder right click on HP Color LaserJet 4650 PCL 6 print properties - device settings -
printer hard disk - not installed
job storage - disabled
mopier mode - disabled

apply and try print again. These were the instruction i received from HP, and i can print multiple copies of the same page. yay.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Trish K (2/5/09 9:41 AM) reply + / -
I am having problems with the color printing. When you print in grayscale, everything is fine, but as soone as someone prints in color, I am getting very bright yellow color done one side of the page. And now it is on both sides and even the back of the page as well. Does anyone know what I need to do or replace here? My cartridges show they are fine and don't need replacing.
Thanks for any help!!!

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by wpc (2/5/09 1:46 PM) reply + / -
Trish,

Even though your cartridges show as being good, you probably have a defective yellow cartridge. I would try and replace it

Re: Re: Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Anonymous (2/6/09 3:32 PM) reply + / -
if you still have the problem after changing the toner cartridges, then also try changing the transfer belt (big black thing that has to be pulled down before you can see the cartridges).

Unable to store job at printer by Anonymous (2/16/09 10:11 PM) reply + / -
Disable the "Advanced Printing Features" form the printer's properties. I did it and it is working fine for me.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Anonymous (4/13/09 3:08 PM) reply + / -
I am having a weird problem, on my print output its choping the right 1 cm margin of the document. I have tried many things but its not doing any good, please help.

thanks

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by gpr (7/21/09 2:23 PM) reply + / -
when warming up goes to 128mb then stays there on screen

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by gpr (7/22/09 5:22 AM) reply + / -
it will get to 250mb during then stay on this screen

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by dmzcompute (7/22/09 5:28 AM) reply + / -
Remove the formatter and reseat all the memory dimms and try again.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by gpr (7/22/09 5:53 AM) reply + / -
have done this thank you for reply

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by nivek (7/22/09 10:05 AM) reply + / -
If you have a jet direct remove that and see if it will boot. Ive seen alot of those lock up with bad 615 cards usually after the memory check though. Also take the dimms and jetdirect out start installing one at a time with the jet direct last. Cold reset or NVRAM initialization would be my next suggestion.

Unable to store job at printer by tattoo516 (9/2/09 1:55 PM) reply + / -
Disable Mopier if you do not have enough memory to perform this function

For Networked Printers this should be done on the Print Server by Print Server Admin. Then reinstall the printer on the client to ensure the driver change is made.

Go to the properties of the printer.
Choose Device Settings tab
Scroll down close to bottom and find "Mopier Mode"
Select Disable from drop down list.

Toption is enabled by default. "Auto Config-ing" the printer will reset it back to ENABLED.

During our test, we 1st changed "Printer Hard Drive" to "Not installed" (didn't work). 2nd we set "Job Storage" to "Disabled, leaving 1st change (didn't work). 3rd we disabled "Mopier mode" (THIS WORKED)

After a successful print, we changed the 1st and 2nd options back to the way they were originally, printed again and IT WORKED !

Our printer only has 128Mb of memory. It's stated in another forum that 192Mb is needed on 4650's for Mopy function.

Found this in another post:

Mopier mode

When Mopier Mode is enabled, the printer produces multiple,

collated copies from a single print job. Multiple-original

printing (mopying) increases printer performance and reduces

network traffic by sending the job to the printer once, then

storing it in the printer's RAM. The remainder of the copies are

printed at the printer's fastest speed. All documents can be

created, controlled, managed, and finished from the desktop,

which eliminates the extra step of using a photocopier.

The HP Color LaserJet 4650 series printers support the mopying

feature, provided they have enough total memory (at least 192 MB

of total memory: 160 MB DDR plus 32 MB on the formatter board),

and the mopying feature is enabled by default if the Mopier Mode

setting is Enabled in the Device Settings tab.

Hope this helps others.

This is a good forum
Thanks

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by Anonymous (10/6/09 1:25 PM) reply + / -
These steps work (as posted by anoymous):

Download the driver follow installation instructions and then go to the printer folder right click on HP Color LaserJet 4650 PCL 6 print properties - device settings -
job storage - disabled
mopier mode - disabled

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by tons (10/13/09 3:19 AM) reply + / -
Hi,
I have 4650dn network printer.I had to do a cold reset after a error"Can not iniatialize card slot".
After reset Error has gone away but now i cannot see Network config tab in I/O configuration.Network ip config tab has gone missing...
Pls help to resolve.
Tons

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by nousndthem (11/24/09 6:01 AM) reply + / -
I also tried the steps below and it worked.
Thank you!

These steps work (as posted by anoymous):

job storage - disabled
mopier mode - disabled

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by haymew (6/4/10 4:57 AM) reply + / -
*** SOULUTION***

I USED TO HAVE THE SAME ISSUE NOW RESOLVED

DO THIS

go to printer properties and advance tab, down the buttom you will see print processor, click on it and select winprint from print processor and default data type RAW

ok, Apply
try to print should work and worked for me too if not

another solution is
driver select Hp Universal printing PS and tick the print directly to the printer

both worked fine on my vista pcs.

regards
H.

Re: Re: Re: Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by agent929 (12/9/10 12:03 PM) reply + / -
We are having the exact issue at work as well, was wondering if anybody ever found the resolution to the problem. I don't have a problem enabling anything on the printer, just when I print 2 or more copies of anything it starts spitting out countless sheets of what was stated in the first post.

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by glaisne (1/3/11 11:51 AM) reply + / -
@haymew:

Your solution worked for us on our Windows 7 computers. Thanks! Maybe it is an issue with Vista and 7? We did not have this problem until we upgraded our computers. I guess the driver does not use the correct settings. Anyway thanks for sharing your solution!

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by ranjit (3/30/11 1:01 AM) reply + / -
Issue
When printing multiple copies, an error message page will print reading unable to store job .
Solution
To solve this issue, turn off the RAM disk function.
Here are the instructions how to resolve the issue:
The setting is located on the control panel of the printer as follows:
config device> system setup> RAM disk
The default setting is Auto . Change it to OFF .

Re: HP Laserjet 4650 problem... by shelpyle (7/19/12 9:48 AM) reply + / -
I have had the same problem and just found a fix that worked for me. I do not have installed memory.
Go to printer properties
click on Advanced and then click on Print directly to printer! So simple and yet such a frustrating problem.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters