fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Befuddled (2/24/07 6:56 PM) reply + / -
Repair shop says fuser needs to be replaced for $300 ($200 for part). I found a cheaper place, but don't want to buy it until I know how to get the old one out. Also want to make sure thats really the problem. When it prints, it makes a loud thumping noise. Also makes the noise during startup so I can open the back and see the fuser while it is making the noise. The fuser doesn't seem to be doing anything while it is making the thumping noise, very curious. It started when I got a paper jam message, but found no paper jam. Can anyone tell me if this is the fuser and if so how to replace it? or if its not the fuser, what is it?

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Dave-plw (2/27/07 7:02 AM) reply + / -
Hi yes I have the very same same problem with a Brother MFC 8840.
It started making a loud noise when making copies. Now when turned on it makes a loud grinding sound and comes to a halt.
The noise is from within the gears inside the machine - it happens even with the paper tray, toner, drum, duplexer removed.
I'm trying to figure out how to remove the fuser.
Technical information on how to fix this printer is hard to find.
Tried emailing the company, they haven't answered yet.
It was an inexpensive copier that worked well for 1.5 years and we'd like to try to fix it ourselves if possible.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Anonymous (3/12/07 12:46 PM) reply + / -
call gulf business machines 1-850-434-0422, ask for joe jr, if you have bad gears can be fixed for$80.00 parts&labor.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Chris Woodward (edited 4/2/07 9:21 AM) reply + / -
We have the same problem - its down to a cracked gear on the fuser drum itself. To remove the fuser - remove the tray at the bottom and the back tray (4 screws, 2 either side) lift out the phone line box on the right (looking from the back - 2 screws) and swing it out of the way (careful as cable isn't too long) 2 screws either side of the fuser (long black object at the bottom) unplug the halogen lamp (white plug on left) and small 5 wire plug on right, and lift out fuser unit. Nasty brown cracked gear is on the side where the small 5 wire plug goes. (LJ7416001 - HR GEAR 34 I think the part is)

Now Brother has a parts page (in the UK)

http://www.brother-spare-parts.co.uk but it looks extremely difficult to take apart so its looks like ours is down to a new fuser assy :-(

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Dave-plw (4/2/07 1:07 PM) reply + / -
Yes, much appreciate your feedback. I was finally able to figure out how to remove that fuser - (but didn't see a halogen lamp on my model 8840dn).
That would be great if you can actually buy the gear itself - rather than a new fuser. (I actually tried gluing the cracked gear together with "super-glue" and it wasn't strong enough to hold together.)
It's not hard to take apart the fuser:
Remove 2 screws - located on the same surface as the embeded (white) wires, towards the ends. The unit should now unhinge, and open up (optional remove 2 paper guides - near the rollers - held on by 3 screws each.)
Notice there is a wire running through the roller (the one that attaches to the gear). Remove one screw that anchors that wire on just that one side). Now the roller (and cracked gear) can be removed.
I will let you know if we can get a new gear and get this copier running again. It's a pretty good machine except for that one problem - (and the difficulty in finding support!)

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Dave-plw (4/17/07 1:10 PM) reply + / -
To follow up:
Yes we finally received our new fuser gear:

HR GEAR 34
part # LJ7416001
from Agson.com
Cost of the gear was only about $3, but required a $15 minimum order. Still much cheaper than a new fuser.

And after re-assembling everything, the copier does work.
However I found another broken part(s) on this fuser, that also need replacing:
There are 2 black plastic rings - spacers - that fit on each end of the brown fuser roller. Both of those are also cracked.
The one on the side opposite the gear can be left out and it still works. But the one on the same side as the gear seems essesntial - because after removing that one, it came apart and now my copier doesn't work again!
I'm trying to see if the ring can be glued together somehow - or if this part can be ordered.

Re: Brother MFC8640D Problem with fuser by Taher (4/18/07 6:31 AM) reply + / -

Looking for availability & part number for fuser assy for Brother MFCMFC8640D.

Thank you.

Fuser now fixed by Dave-plw (4/19/07 6:10 AM) reply + / -
After posting that last thread, I realized my fuser is now OK, I had an error message related to something else. It was:

"Machine error 6A"
"please turn off machine and call support..."

Well I kept the machine on anyway and didn't call support.
While I was searching for a way to reset the copier - the error message went away all by itself, after about 10' or so!

About those plastic spacers: they are not that essential - I was able to use a piece of a broken one - a semi-circular broken piece of a spacer- was good enough to keep the roller from wobbling too much.
Maybe it works even better than a new one - since there is less resistance to turning, and less torque on the gear.

About taking apart the fuser:
Simply undo 2 screws - one on each end, underneath the white wires. Then find a small plastic tab - push it to one side, and the fuser unhinges into 2 halves.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Nick London (10/24/07 6:05 AM) reply + / -
We have the same machine error 6a flashing up on a brother MFC8840D that has just had a fuser replaced.

Is there any way of clearing this message as the message is constantly showing and not going away??

Thanks,
Nick

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Dave-plw (10/24/07 6:39 AM) reply + / -
Hi, yes I wonder if the manual describes how to clear that message. We got a similar error when we installed a new drum, it kept saying "replace drum" and the manual describes how to clear that message.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Nick London (10/25/07 1:31 AM) reply + / -
We are now getting the "Pls Open Cover" message without any problem being stated. Can anybody else shed some more light on this??

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by donk (10/28/07 9:22 PM) reply + / -
Brother MFC8840

Error 6A:
Heater warming up timeout error
(heater does not reach 60C within 11secs)

Cause:
Thermistor Assy
Halogen Lamp.

Pls open cover:
Hardware error (like 6a above)
Open and close front cover a few (normally 2) times and "machine error XX" will appear on LCD.

Re: Brother MFC-8640D Problem with fuser by Anonymous (12/7/07 10:04 PM) reply + / -
Chris:

Thanks sooooo much for making this post!!!

My Brother MFC-8640D printer had the the symptoms exactly as described and the fix was as you stated, replacing the LJ7416001 - HR GEAR 34.

I sourced the gear from http://agson.com One edge of the aluminum fuser cylinder was crumpled a bit from the original broken gear (brown plastic) but I carefully unbent/reformed it and slipped the new gear on the end of the tube (also brown plastic), reassembled the fuser unit and reinstalled it. Printer worked great as before.

Took two weeks to get the new gear(s) in the mail, actual repair took 15-20 minutes.

I pulled a vintage 90's Mita DP-570 (dog slow...) from the bottom of a closet and used is as a backup for the two weeks. Had to use a HP LaserJet 6L XP driver as there are no XP drivers for this ancient Mita.

Agson has a minimum $15 order plus shipping so I ordered 5 of the ~$3 gears and $10 shipping came to $26 still better than a $150-$200 fuser unit and shop labor to install it.

A new OEM fuser unit (Mfr Part #: LM2579001) costs ~$150 US same fuser unit works for DCP-8040, DCP-8045D, HL-5130, HL-5140, HL5150D, HL-5170DN, MFC-8220, MFC-8440, MFC-8640D, MFC-8840D, MFC-8840DN

Dennis

Re: Re: Brother MFC-8640D Problem with fuser by Anonymous (1/16/08 3:34 PM) reply + / -
Hi, since you order 5, do you mind reselling one to me. I need one but i don't wnat to order all 5. THank first.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by LDY (1/20/08 12:22 PM) reply + / -
Thank you! I was able to fix my 8440 thanks to your advice!

If you try this, you might want to take lots of digital photos of the disassembly. It will make putting the pieces back together much easier. I wish I had taken more, but those I did take were very helpful.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Swive (1/30/08 7:16 PM) reply + / -
We had a similar problem.
Installed new toner cartridge (....ok it was a reman).. worked fine for few hours. Then began making that loud thump/cracking noise. When I went to open the front door, it stopped 1/2 way. There was something holding it from opening all the way. I got the cartridge/drum out, but couldn't get it back in. Took off the left cover, and I could rotate a gear so that a small thingy rotated and I could fit the cartridge back in. But then I got the "Please Open Cover" message that won't go away.

Interestingly, I do not get any thumping or cracking noises on startup. Everything sounds fine... except the open cover message appears.

Is this also the fuser gear? Maybe not - because of the lack of noise on startup. What I get for using a cheap toner cartridge?

All help greatly appreciated.

Steve B.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by slaglema (3/3/08 8:48 AM) reply + / -
Do you have direction for reseting the replace drum message?

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by LDY (3/3/08 9:02 AM) reply + / -
> Do you have direction for reseting the replace drum message?

Ignore it. You will, eventually, need to buy a new drum... and you might want to buy one now for when the drum dies and the machine stops... but it may be months, and tens of thousands of prints, before that happens.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Dave-plw (3/3/08 9:28 AM) reply + / -
Somewhere in the owner's manual, it decribes how to reset the "replace drum" message. You need to reset that every time you install a new drum. (Otherwise it will keep displaying the message.)

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Anonymous (3/3/08 11:55 AM) reply + / -
Open front door, install drum, DO NOT CLOSE FRONT DOOR. Press the blue oval "set" button and follow the directions, then CLOSE FRONT DOOR. I think this is your answer, I haven't done it in a while so I'm going by memory. GL

FUSER OPEN by yomismo (3/10/08 4:28 PM) reply + / -
I have in the monitor of my Brother MFC 8840D a error that said FUSER OPEN, I buy this machine only one year ago..I tried everything, open and close the back cover fuser, check for any paper jamb, open the front drum, the tray, remove and re-install the paper, I used regular office letter size,remove the drum and the cartridge check for everything an the "FUSER OPEN" don't go away..I can send a fax, but I can't copy,scan or send faxes...any thing that I can do?
thank you
Christian

FUSER OPEN by yomismo (3/10/08 4:31 PM) reply + / -
I have in the monitor of my Brother MFC 8840D a error that said FUSER OPEN, I buy this machine only one year ago..I tried everything, open and close the back cover fuser, check for any paper jamb, open the front drum, the tray, remove and re-install the paper, I used regular office letter size,remove the drum and the cartridge check for everything an the "FUSER OPEN" don't go away..I can send a fax, but I can't copy,scan or send faxes...any thing that I can do?
thank you
Christian

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by knguyen (4/15/08 7:40 AM) reply + / -
Try to reset the MFC-8840D before you attemp to fix it. Mine has the problem but it was fine after I found this reset instruction at the other site. Press Menu,*,2,8,6,4 (must be done inside two seconds). It should say maintenance in the display after a short delay. press 01 (to reset the EEPROM data), then 99 (to exit maintenance mode). This will reset the EEPROM data but I don't know whether it will clear the journal.

Re: FUSER OPEN by Eric Sandbo (edited 4/23/08 1:22 PM) reply + / -
Message deleted -- bad info.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Eric Sandbo (4/15/08 1:38 PM) reply + / -
I agree with knguyen's recommendation, except that instead of entering "01", try "91" first. Exit from Maintenance Mode with 99, sit back while it restarts, and see if your error goes away. If you still have the error, go back into Maintenance Mode with Menu * 2 8 6 4 and enter 01, as knguyen suggested. Either code will reset most software glitches, but 91 will leave most of your user programming intact, including all stored names & phone numbers. "01" will erase *everything*. It may work where 91 won't, but try the easy one first.
Don't play around in Maintenance Mode. Do what you have to and get out. If you go around randomly entering numbers, you may hit one of several codes that can render your fax inoperable.

Re: Fuser now fixed by Anonymous (4/21/08 10:37 AM) reply + / -
I also have an error msgs 6A. I turned the copier off while we were gone for a few days and when I came back and turned it on, this error msgs appeared. I've only had the copier for 10 months and have not used it often. Any ideas on how to reset? Its been on for 20 minutes and still shows the 6A. Thanks

Re: Fuser now fixed by Anonymous (4/21/08 10:46 AM) reply + / -
I also have an error msgs 6A. I turned the copier off while we were gone for a few days and when I came back and turned it on, this error msgs appeared. I've only had the copier for 10 months and have not used it often. Any ideas on how to reset? Its been on for 20 minutes and still shows the 6A. Thanks

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by arlindsey (12/2/08 8:28 PM) reply + / -
I have three of these fuser main gears. They fixed my problem - which is apparently common on these fusers. Not sure how to make them available, since I don't want my email publicized, but reply if you want one for $8 delivered (with a way to reach you) and I'll make it happen.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Anonymous (12/3/08 5:40 PM) reply + / -
just a note check the fuser drive gear aswell because these chew out aswell as the brown fuser gear . u may replace the brown gear but wont fix the problem because the fuser drive gear needs replacing aswell wich is part of the side frame.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Anonymous (2/17/09 8:24 AM) reply + / -
Brother MFC 8840D Drum reset Manual sec 12 page 36 PRESS CLEAR/BACK then press 1 when LCD shows replace drum? yes/no ... do this with cover open, then shut everything. Good Luck

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Anonymous (3/4/09 5:48 PM) reply + / -
There is a clicking noise that sounds like it is higher then the fuser, but I read a fuser error on the lcd and the fuser and gears look fine. What else can I try? I did try to clear the error first and it did not work.

Thank You

Ryan

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by nivek (3/5/09 6:50 AM) reply + / -
Whats the error message say exactly. and pull the fuser out and check it would be my suggestion.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Anonymous (3/5/09 11:19 AM) reply + / -
I pulled the fuser out and it looks fine. and teh error message just says fuser open.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Anonymous (3/7/09 9:14 AM) reply + / -
What would the grinding noise be? I know that they would be gears but if there not the gears in the fuser then what is it? Also why would the fuser open be flashing on the lcd then?

Is there a maintence manual or disassambly manual?

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by mudgie (3/8/09 4:51 AM) reply + / -
The gear (LJ7416001) is commonly available on ebay for less than $10 (shipping included). I'm told it breaks as a result of aftermarket toner. I've sold several machines and the only one to break has been with a guy who used aftermarket toner as soon as his starter toner ran out. He was told (by another tech) that the printer wasn't worth fixing so he called me and ordered an MFC-8860DN. I picked up his 8840 for parts... now I'll get a nice working unit for under $10.. sweeet! My 8820 is starting to act up (losing scan capability, failing to print until reboot, etc). How timely :-)

The 8820/8840/8860 line has been an awesome performer over the years. I must have sold 20 of them, only one or two have failed and the parts are readily available. I only wish the PDF scans were a bit smaller.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by nivek (edited 3/9/09 11:56 AM) reply + / -
The fuser open error is given when the machine thinks theres a problem with the lamp or thermistor. The fact that the gear is probably broke could relate to the problem becuase its not heating up correctly. The best thing would be to remove the fuser and check out the lamp, gears, thermal fuse and rollers and see what is all needed you are probably looking at whole fuser unit replacement. On these most the time once the error is given it needs to be put in service mode before the error will clear or sometimes holding the go button down while turning it on will reset it. If the fuser is hot while you do this though you could melt the rollers together so make sure they are not hot. The fact that the guy above stated what a great machine it is and I feel the same tells you even though it might need fuser replacement its still worth it. There is two service notes on the broken gear but Im having problems posting them I will try later but one is for the fuser gear the second is for a gear in the main drive train that sometimes breaks when the fuser gear does.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Anonymous (3/12/09 9:34 AM) reply + / -
Does anyone have a service or repair manual for this machine?

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by nivek (3/12/09 3:23 PM) reply + / -
http://fileshare.eshop.bg/downloadsm/36035/Brother_MFC-8840D.html

The best way to find service manuals is to just google it. Found this in 10 seconds.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by hankvb02 (9/3/09 3:45 PM) reply + / -
i have a Brother MFC8640 that is only 3 years old. Today it started malfunctioning. It prints received faxes fine, it prints from a computer fine, but when I try to send a fax or make a copy I get a bunch of blurred lines. After spending a ridiculous amount of time on the phone with India (or wherever)doing troubleshooting for the drum/cartridge, I convinced the customer service rep that it had to be the scanning head. Of course the machine is out of warranty. Is this something that I can fix or am I doomed to an authorized repair center?
Thank you,
Hank VanBaalen

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by moe (9/3/09 4:31 PM) reply + / -
Did you look at the scanner glass? If it gets dirty or an impatient person can't wait for the white out to dry, you'll get blurry lines.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Anonymous (9/3/09 5:33 PM) reply + / -
Yes, I cleaned the glass as directed by both the troubleshooting guide and the rep on the customer service line. It made no difference. Some copies came out almost completely black and others looked as though the original document was moving while being scanned. It is definitely the scanner mech that moves back and forth when the a copy is made or when a document is sent. Incoming docs and prints from the computer come out fine.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks to all in advance.
Hank VanBaalen

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by moe (9/3/09 10:12 PM) reply + / -
Does it do it both scanning from the glass and from the ADF document feeder on top? Is there any difference at all in the 2 copies? The difference is that the scanner is moving on the glass and the paper is moving when you use the ADF and the scanner is stationary.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Anonymous (9/4/09 4:42 AM) reply + / -
It happens whether I use the document feeder or lay it on the glass. No difference. One copy will have blurred lines while the next will be all black regardless of the use of the ADF or not.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser: gear by j2hess (9/26/09 5:55 PM) reply + / -
Hi all,

Does anyone have a spare on the brown gear they'd like to sell me?

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Btouched (10/14/09 12:24 PM) reply + / -
It is most likely your analog to digital conversion board thats out on your scanner. seen that on deferent models

that is if your inturnal prints come out fine with no problems but copy scann and fax or not then I would bet that be the problem

ASUMING that you did all the norm stuff like clean glass and mirrors

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Anonymous (1/6/10 2:22 PM) reply + / -
Hi all.

I've got the fuser out of my MFC8840 but how do you get to the roller and the broken gear? I can see it but can't see how to access it. Thanks.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Eric Sandbo (1/6/10 3:33 PM) reply + / -
The fuser opens up like a clamshell, separating the top and bottom halves. See which wires will interfere with separating the halves and pull those out of their guides. You may need to unmount the thermistor that has the skinny wires on it.
Two screws hold the fuser together on one side; remove those, then release two plastic hooks on the same side. (There's some spring pressure; don't just let it fly apart. The halves will pivot on pins on the other side, then fall apart. Try to keep the solid rubber pressure roller in its half so you don't have to mess with its spring-loaded bushings. The hot roller is exposed now, but still has the heater lamp running through the center of it. Take a good look at the orientation of the gear and bushings that you'll have to reinstall later. Unscrew the terminal plates from each end of the lamp, then carefully lift out the roller and lamp together. Pull the lamp out of the roller, using a clean rag to protect it from your finger oils. (The lamp gets so hot that contamination on the glass might cause it to crack.) Swap the gear and reassemble. Those snaps make it easier by holding the halves together while you start the screws.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem by methodistchurch (1/7/10 9:19 AM) reply + / -
runs so slow now. nothing is changed still low resolution and on text setting.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Anonymous (2/18/10 7:24 PM) reply + / -
To: A R Lindsey,
If you have HR GEAR 34 part # LJ7416001 I'll buy it and I also need The 2 black plastic spacer rings that fit on each end of the fuser roller if you got that I'll buy that to.
Please reply to Bill's email.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Naden (4/23/10 11:39 PM) reply + / -
Hello everyone,

I am after for the brown gear LJ7416001 mentioned above,
Does anyone know where I can get one?

Any help will be much appreciated

Francis

Re: Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Anonymous (5/24/10 3:22 PM) reply + / -
Agson.com Should be about $3.00, but there is a minimum order of $15.00

Agson.com Should be about $3.00,.................. by Naden (5/24/10 6:17 PM) reply + / -
"Agson.com Should be about $3.00, but there is a minimum order of $15.00"

Thanks for your reply,
Apparently, Agson now no longer handles Brother products.

If you guys know any other source, please help.

Francis

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by KingKen (6/5/10 11:09 AM) reply + / -
does anyone know where to find the service Manual for the MFC-8640d printer

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by conservtek (7/8/10 3:33 PM) reply + / -
I had to move the brother laser 8840D to a different office, locked the switch to left of glass per instructions & transported it in a car front seat with seat belt to secure it.

When placed back in service, it now dims the lights when energized to print or make copies. Checked house wiring , which is ok, but unit is spikeing to 16.5 amps when energized.

It is the printer, since we checked it by moving to a different room & lights blinked there as well.

Local shop says fuser internal lamp must be scratched, causing high amp draw. Also every 10 copies or so , are streaked vertically or horizontally & printing appears grayscale, not black.Both drum & cartridge are new.

Anyone have similar problem. No broken gears or noises.
Thanks for your help...if its fuser assy, please provide part number & least expensive place to purchase. Must it be BROTHER OEM or are there quality reconditioned or new aftermarket units available?

Re: Agson.com Should be about $3.00,.................. by rpauker (8/5/10 11:17 AM) reply + / -
I have just found and ordered the gear LJ7416001 from:

https://www.encompassparts.com/webwiz/wwiz.asp?wwizmstr=WEB.SEE&partnu mber=6576649

$2.89 + $7.95 shipping

I will be attempting the repair of the fuser as soon as it arrives.
Don't know if I will also need a drive gear, as I haven't yet disassembled the MFC-8440.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by justauser (8/15/10 10:04 AM) reply + / -
Do you know if thing ring works with 8220? Do you have anymore gear ring left, and if you do, would you be willing to sell one? I've tried sourcing Agson.com unsuccessfully using all combinations of LJ7416001 - HR GEAR 34, but it doesn't seem to have it. Thanks.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by rpauker (8/16/10 12:41 AM) reply + / -
I don't know if the part LJ7416001 - HR GEAR 34 works with 8220, because I only have an 8440.

However, I should mention that the repair of the fuser on my 8440 went fine and it works perfectly now. The repair was not terribly difficult, but it was also not very easy and not very straightforward, since this was the first, and hopefully the only time I will ever need to do this repair. Probably if one did these every day, it would be very easy.

As I mentioned before, you can order the LJ7416001 - HR GEAR 34 from:
https://www.encompassparts.com/webwiz/wwiz.asp?wwizmstr=WEB.SEE&partnu mber=6576649
$2.89 + $7.95 shipping, and the part arrived in 2 days after I ordered it.

Not available from me, as I am not a dealer or a professional printer repair tech.

Re: Brother MFC 8860DN Problem with fuser by Tigin (8/29/10 6:59 AM) reply + / -
How do i reset fuser count after replacement

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by nivek (8/29/10 11:06 AM) reply + / -
Will I tried to look on there support site to verify but the way I typically do it is by pressing menu,*,2,8,6,4 if done correctly the screen will say "Maintenance" press 8,8 to get to the parts life mode. Then scroll to fuser and press enter or start. On most models the laser/scanner has the same life cycle so you probaly will get that message soon if your replacing the fuser for the message and not other resaons. I typically replace the fuser and just reset the laser counter when it ask for it. The fuser typically is pretty well shot at this point but the laser is always still running good.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by thomasdqt (9/3/10 12:08 PM) reply + / -
Help please:

One of the two legs of the fuser ass'y frame broke off, so I have to change the frame.

Any exploded parts diagram available for identifying the frame part # in the fuser ass'y? And any online store sells it, rather than entire fuesr ass'y kit?

I am also considering to get a non-working MFC to swarp the fuser frame or the fuser. Can someone please post a list of MFCs of which the fuser ass'y is interchangeable with my 8460n?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Tom

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by philly5706 (9/3/10 8:36 PM) reply + / -
That would be an impossible task. Someone would have to look in every Brother laser printer manual to compare part numbers.
Unless you had the part number and then you may be able to find the info online.

PK

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by thomasdqt (9/8/10 7:34 AM) reply + / -
Or, some good websites for a used MFC for parts?

I checked eBay and CL, they are all for big $ and almost all working condition; that would making no sense to me.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by nivek (edited 9/8/10 7:43 AM) reply + / -
110 volt fuser unit. Compatible with Brother DCP 8060, Brother DCP 8065DN, Brother HL 5240, Brother HL 5250DN, Brother HL 5250DNT, Brother HL 5270DN, Brother HL 5280DW, Brother MFC 8460N, Brother MFC 8660DN, Brother MFC 8860DN, Brother MFC 8870DW
Brother LU0214001 Fuser Unit
Not sure if all that is right found it on another site. Not sure where you are at but I may have a used one I would have to check in storage.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by isolt (9/23/10 4:11 PM) reply + / -
I've opened up my HL-5170DN to replace the cog. But I've noticed that the rubber roller (not the heated one) in the fuser assembly has a plastic sheath the has crumpled to one end. What does this plastic coating do, is it important? I might be able to just straighten it out?

Thanks

Re: Brother MFC 7840W fuser cover ? by tcbelle (10/9/10 1:51 PM) reply + / -
Right in the middle of printing it came up with a fuser cover is open. Of course there's nothing about how to close it on the Brother's Manual or website. Let alone how does it get open when you're in the middle of a job or how to find it either..

Re: Brother MFC 8840 by cadkins (11/24/10 10:41 AM) reply + / -
LCD has message stays on it - Doc. Cover Open- I have opened and closed doors and turned it off and on more than once. Can't fax or print- fax is lite up but won't move to copy or scan. Don't see where any covers are open.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by nilly (12/15/10 12:45 PM) reply + / -
I'm in the Seattle area. Know of anyone who can fix my fuser?

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by fnbea (1/28/11 9:27 AM) reply + / -
I ran a sheet of paper through this printer that was hole punched to go in a ledger, and there was a thin strip of plastic similar to Scotch tape down the side of the paper that evidently came off and melted on something in the machine. Every copy I make or page I print has a black strip down the side and you can see the outline of the holes that are punched in the paper, so I am sure that is what caused the problem. I was told it to replace the fuser, which was done, but that did not fix it. Any idea of what needs to be replaced or cleaned to get rid of that black line (about 1/2 inch wide and the length of the page)? This happened a couple of years ago and now all I can use it for is printing envelopes since the line does not show on smaller paper.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by shotgun (3/15/11 3:26 PM) reply + / -
Hi gents, its been a while, ive been so busy... ive fixed a few of these now, and after fitting a new fuser you sometimes still get a gear noise,(rumble) i would also suggest fitting the fuser drive gear that drives the brown fuser gear, part number for this gear is (LJ5051001) its very easy to fit, remove gearbox part way and you can slide it off, also the chap who had the black lines on the page when he copies, its pos your cis unit, its part of the lower ADF, Alan

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Mergatroid (4/18/11 12:24 PM) reply+1 + / -
Just a couple of thoughts for the DIY guys:

To reset a fuser error, you don't have to do a reset in the maintenance mode. All you have to do is enter maintenance and exit, you don't have to reset.

OR, you can just leave the machine sitting for about 10 minutes and it will reset itself.

For the awesome experts, do your self a favor and prevent your house/business from burning down, or at least ending up with a fuser that's a melted pile of plastic, and don't reuse the cracked bushings, or leave them out, or use only half of one. These bushings are used to prevent the heat roller from contacting anything it shouldn't contact.

Fires have been reported from laser printers having defective fusers, don't be the cause of your fire.

Is the safety of your business, or worse your home, worth being such a cheapskate over a couple of 50 cent bushings? If you cannot find the bushings, either look around for used bushings or just bite the bullet and purchase a new fuser.

At the very least, if your house or business DOES burn down, don't blame brother because you left out these parts.

For the gent who replaced his toner and found bad noise and the door wouldn't open all the way:

Was it a Brother toner or a generic? We have seen a ton of problems with cheap crappy generic toners that either seize up or are so tough to turn they cause the gear that drives the toner roller to break and crack. These gears are not available, and the entire gear assembly on the side of the machine has to be replaced.

You get what you pay for. Too cheap to purchase OEM toner? Don't blame the manufacturer when your machine breaks down because you use refilled or generic toner cartridges. I have only seen this fault happen twice with OEM cartridges, and they were defective cartridges. I've seen it happen about 50 times with generic toners installed.

If these models are treated well, I've seen them last for years. The fixing unit gear is the most common problem other than the hinge for the scanner cover (if it's abused). Very decent machines.

Brother MFC 8460n Laser Unit Removal and Cleaning by thomasdqt (edited 4/26/11 7:54 AM) reply + / -
Before my new posting, I want to thank Nivek, for your list of all the models sharing the same fuser assembly with MFC-8460N. I fixed the fuser finally.

Does any one have an experience on removing or cleaning the laser unit on an MFC-8460N, or other model in its family ?

Besides its right side panel, do I have to remove the left panel, the ADF assembly and/or the top flat bed assembly, before I can reach its laser unit or clean its lense ?

The problem is persistent faint prints on left 1/4 of pages, no matter while copying or printing, after I cleaned all what I can think of. So I concluded that the lense of its laser unit needs to be cleaned. I haven't touched a laser unit on any brother MFC yet, though did on some HP LaserJet's.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by nivek (4/27/11 7:38 PM) reply + / -
Yeah lots have to be removed to clean out the laser optics in this machine. The lasers are better sealed in these units than the HP's Ive only really had to clean them in machines that were in extremely dirty enviroments or several years old. Obviously check the toner or drum first. Might want to clean out the charge grid. Another nice thing about the Brothers is that there is a lens inside the machine covering the otherwise open slot like the HP's. Sometimes toner or dust gets on the lens and has to be cleaned off. So before you disect the machine remove the drum and toner and wipe off the lens inside the machines cavity located above where the toner and drum sit. Had one come in last month that looked like a dirty scanner motor just to need to have the lens wiped off. Took about two minutes to fix the problem.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by thomasdqt (4/28/11 3:35 AM) reply + / -
Thanks, nivek. I had cleaned all those you mentioned, including the lense cover glass right above the toner cartridge, but with no luck. It could be the other side of the glass, since the enviroment of where it sat was dirty.

I will try to clean the other side of the glass first. Hope it's not as much work as taking out the laser unit.

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by just answer (10/20/11 5:24 AM) reply + / -
come on guys just give an answer , here is the answer try this, i hope it helps:

1.- open the cover

2.- hold clear/back button and then press 1

3.- close the cover

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by jennirowe (10/31/11 7:44 PM) reply + / -
My brother 8840 can copy and print after replace drum and town, but just very bad image, just few lines of light black smeared letter on top of page.
Is that fuser problem too?

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by jennirowe (10/31/11 8:25 PM) reply + / -
My brother 8840 DN can copy and print after replace drum and town, but just very bad image, just few lines of light black smeared letter on top of page.
Is that fuser problem too?
Please help!

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by Slim Jim (12/31/11 2:14 PM) reply + / -
I had a paper jam, and removed the toner/drum assembly to clear it (and also had to open the rear output tray to clear the jam). Now the assembly won't go in all the way - it seems to be hitting something on the left side that blocks it. I've looked at both the assembly and the guides inside the printer. I've removed the toner from the drum assembly in an attempt to look for the obstruction. I've removed two of the guide pins from the drum cartridge on the left side - both the steel bar that extends to both left and right side guide tracks, and the pivoting pin on the front left, leaving only the fixed (molded) guide pin. No change, no joy, and I'm wondering if my head assembly is ok. I can't see any obstructions in the cartridge chamber above or below the cartridge.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Brother MFC-9120CN Problem with fuser/PF kit by JorgeLA (2/15/12 1:04 PM) reply + / -
I have a Brother MFC-9120CN and just replaced the Fuser and Paper Feeder Kit with no problems but what I need to know is if anyone knows how to reset the machine so the replace message for the two will go away???

MFC-8640D Problem w/fuser (Fuser Open error) by Pragmatic (9/6/13 12:54 PM) reply + / -
Well some six years after the above fuser gear repair our Fuser unit finally went out for real - MFC gave the useless "Fuser Open" error message but what is was really trying to say was your MFC8640D fuser unit died after and needs to be replaced.

This was a 15 minute repair with a $98 part w/Shipping & tax. You can Google "instructions for changing a fuser gear on a Brother printer" for a great illustrated guide on how to replace the fuser unit, or replace a broken (brown) plastic gear as we did six years ago...

Good luck. Just remember "Fuser Open" error message can mean a paper jamb, paper path door ajar, or $$$ your fuser died after xxx-years and needs replacement.

BTW we also replaced our document/sheet feed roller assembly when it stopped feeding correctly, that was a simple fix, $26 w/shipping and tax and cured that problem. This MFC-8640D printer has been a good one working faithfully for ~ten years...

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by lutherdean (1/29/14 9:06 AM) reply + / -
Mind squeaks when it is printing.
Other than that it works fine.
Thanks

Re: Brother MFC 8840 Problem with fuser by moe (1/29/14 10:08 AM) reply + / -
Fusers very rarely squeak. Without hearing it, hard to say where the noise is emanating from. It's hard enough when you're standing in front of the printer since the noise echos around inside. Easiest thing is to turn the music up and live with it.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters