fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by edab (12/10/06 5:04 PM) reply + / -
Hello There:

I have an older hp 2200d laser printer that worked fine up to 6 months ago. Every once in a while; now consistent makes a loud squeal. The printer was also getting duplex jams, got that one fixed about 2 weeks ago and all worked fine for about 3 reams of paper then the squeal came back. When I was able to get a test print, the status log shows the following errors: 50005 Engine Scanner Error, lots of those; 50013 Laser Malfunction, saw a few; and [1] 50012 Beam Detector Malfunction. My question is do you think the engine control board is causing this or could it be the laser scanner assy.? When I listen to the squeal, it sounds like it is coming from the laser scanner assy. Note: This is my personal printer used at my home and not at work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards,
Ed

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by dmzcompute (12/10/06 8:22 PM) reply+6 + / -
If you hear the squeal, then it is the laser/scanner motor in the laser/scanner assembly. It can sometimes be fixed but you have to be careful. You have to remove the top cover and the big black box in the center is the laser/scanner assembly. Sometimes you can access the motor by just removing all the cables from the laser/scanner and then removing the screws which hold the cover on the laser/scanner assembly and remove the cover. If you can not access it that way, then you have to remove the 4 additioal screws which secure the assembly to the frame. Now once you have access, the motor is the silver colored round item in the back of the assembly mounted on a small circut board. Remove the circut board and remove it from the laser/scanner assembly. If you look real close there is a small white plastic piece which holds the round motor piece in place. Use a needle nose pliers to remove that white plastic piece, but do not lose it. Now you can remove the round piece from the motor itself. Now here is where you have to be very careful. You will want to use 1 or 2 very small drops of light machine oil (tri-flo or similar) into the motor shaft. I would just use 1 drop and it should all disappear down the shaft. If you can see the top of the oil you put in to much. Now put the shaft and round piece back on, put the while locking plastic piece back on and reassemble and it may just work just fine. If not then the complete laser/scanner needs to be replaced.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by bdcupp (9/19/07 1:06 PM) reply + / -
This problem had me puzzled. Thanks DMZ for such detailed repairs.

Re: Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by Anonymous (1/14/08 4:03 PM) reply + / -
You guys are Awesome...Thanks for the Info...

Worked! by kingttx (4/20/08 10:09 AM) reply + / -
I didn't hold much faith when I first tried this - it was such a racket I thought for sure it was a locked-up roller or duplex unit or something - but after I plugged it back in and ran the test print, it worked beautifully! Thanks!!!

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by bullshop (4/23/08 7:48 AM) reply + / -
Sorry bout this comment. The squeek will come back.Only solution
is to replace the laser/scanner.eventually wont work anymore.
Geo

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by pusherman (5/5/08 5:46 PM) reply + / -
May 05, 2008....8:45 p.m.

Put two drops oil as instructed. Printer working perfectly now. Will update.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by leo8888 (5/6/08 8:42 PM) reply + / -
Just tried the same thing except used a little blue bearing grease on the shaft instead of oil, since I have used the same grease for lubing case and power supply cooling fans in the past with great success. Thanks for the instructions on how to access the scanner motor! This forum rocks!

Re: Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by dmzcompute (5/27/08 8:15 PM) reply + / -
Man what bull from bullshop. I have a 2200 right next to me here that I did a long time ago, have run thru 3 toners since and it is still working just fine. I love these people who posts comments with absolutlely no technical experience on the subject. Geo get a life.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by pusherman (6/3/08 3:49 PM) reply + / -
June 03, 2008.....7:48 p.m.

My 2200 is still printing strong.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by chicagoseal (6/11/08 11:09 PM) reply + / -
This topic is covered at http://www.partsnow.com/service_today/0902.asp .

You can buy HP part number C7058-67905 and correct the problem.

Re: Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by moe (6/12/08 9:43 AM) reply + / -
There's a huge diffence between a "squeak" and a "squeal". While that topic might fix the squeak, it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread which is "fixing a squeal". It seems like everyone has had success in lubing the laser scanner assy. in eliminating this problem.

Laser Scanner motor noise after oiling by slimer (7/23/08 9:00 AM) reply + / -
At my place of employment we are responsible for maintaining a good deal of printers (estimates on the order of a couple of thousand 2200s or so out in the field total).

I am still sort of a newbie as far as printer techs go, and I have found that sometimes oiling the motor works like a charm (thanks to the wonderful post(s) here), and the laser scanner sounds normal--sort of like a very high frequency dentist's drill (but not so loud)--and other times, while it takes care of the error and the printers work fine, the noise is considerably louder, and of lower pitch, which is bad for us to send out to the field (we end up having to replace the Laser scanner entirely :[ )

Could the louder motor be caused by dirt/dust/toner particles caught in the motor shaft? If so, is there a safe (for the printer) way to clean this area out? I was thinking like a q-tip, but the problem I think would be lint getting into the shaft, and not helping things, and lint-free cloths just for cleaning this part is ... a bit wasteful. I have tried using the corner of a heavy duty absorbent paper towel to no avail. Any ideas or has anybody else encountered what I'm talking about?

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by moe (7/23/08 11:33 AM) reply + / -
I don't know what you are using for a lubricant. You should try the lubricant sold on this site. It's the best I've ever used. Another thing I've noticed is you have to tighten the screws down real good as there is quite a bit of vibration induced by the motor.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by rarunge (7/23/08 12:57 PM) reply + / -
two drops of 3 in 1 and all seems well!

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by moe (7/23/08 1:31 PM) reply + / -
3 in one is a bad choice. It's petroleum based and with the heat and all, it will eventually congeal and cause problems. Always use synthetic based lubricants.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by Anonymous (3/6/09 7:02 AM) reply + / -
Wow!!! That was awesome. Worked like a charm.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by Anonymous (3/11/09 2:34 PM) reply + / -
First, thanks very much for this repair procedure. My squealing 2200DN is back to just being a great printer. I had trouble getting the white plastic piece out; finally got it around the shaft with a pair of forceps. I also got finger prints on the mirror facings of the round piece; cleaned those up with with a microfiber cloth. Other than that, it was a successful procedure. THANKS to DMZcompute!

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by Stephen (5/17/09 12:06 PM) reply + / -
I always ended up breaking the white plastic piece, but the scanners I lubed all worked fine without it installed.

You can turn the motor assembly upside down with the plastic piece missing and the motor magnets will hold the thing together.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by covox (5/23/09 11:37 PM) reply + / -
You, sir, are a genius. Cracked open the printer, added a drop of trumpet valve-oil to the shaft, and it's cranking out perfect pages again. Thanks! :D

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by it2 (7/8/09 2:22 PM) reply + / -
oiled the shaft and the printer runs like brand new.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by Glendon (7/27/09 1:57 PM) reply + / -
I have been reading these messages.
I just want to clarify this point. I get the loud noise (no noise during warm up, only when print command is sent, or self print test)and the paper does not feed.
If the noise is actually from the scanner (polygonal motor for laser printing), how does that interfere or inhibit paper feed, which should be driven by the main motor, not the scanner motor. Am I right so far? If so is there an error being generated due to a too slow rotation of the scanner motor, which disables the signal to feed the paper?
Thanks,
John

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by moe (7/27/09 2:53 PM) reply + / -
You would be correct in your diagnosis.

Re: Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by Anonymous (8/19/09 11:06 AM) reply + / -
dmz, many, many thanks! You are right on with your diagnosis, decription of the problem, solution and caveats. I spent more than 2 hours trying to diagnosis this with frustration over all the interlocks to defeat just to hear where the problem is (to no avail). in 2 minutes of an internet search, I found your note and had it fixed in less than 5 minutes. You are quite correct in stating that there is a boat load of BS out there. Thanks again!

- Bob

Re: Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by Anonymous (9/16/09 2:33 PM) reply + / -
Thanks dmzcompute, I used some light weight food grade hydrolic oil to lube up the laser/scanner assembly. I was getting about ready to have my boss order a new laser/scanner assembly when I stumbled across your post. Thank you, printer works great now :D :D

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by wthpd (9/25/09 7:43 AM) reply + / -
This fix worked for my hp1200. I could never have done it without your detailed instructions. Thank you.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by covox (10/24/09 1:54 AM) reply + / -
Bollocks. Turns out instrument valve oil is NOT actually light machine oil; I know this because I cracked open my once-working printer and the motor assembly is now glued together.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by Anonymous (10/24/09 8:55 PM) reply + / -
You can't go wrong with synthetic lubricant. Anything petroleum based is a time bomb.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by user0322 (12/17/09 3:46 PM) reply + / -
My HP 2200 was making noise before it stopped picking up the paper in both the tray and the bypass. Is that the same problem and solution?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by moe (12/17/09 3:51 PM) reply + / -
Probably.

Re: Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test pri by nlubecker (12/20/09 12:14 PM) reply + / -
My hp2200dn began squealing whenever I tried to print but the printer would not feed paper or print. I followed these instructions and my printer is back working perfectly. Thanks for the great instructions!!! One tiny drop of synthetic oil on the shaft did the trick!

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by rjc (1/18/10 4:18 PM) reply + / -
Hard to believe a single drop of oil could do so much, but it works!
Thanks for the good advice.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by nlubecker (1/18/10 7:03 PM) reply + / -
I too, was amazed what a single drop of oil could do. I have 2 toner cartridges in my closet and now I believe I will eventually get to use them!!!!

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by zumarox (1/19/10 11:19 AM) reply + / -
Thanks!

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by joe2go (2/10/10 9:26 AM) reply + / -
After the initial (normal) sound during warm up my printer would growl / groan very loudly then stop trying to print (after 20 sec or so). I was unsure this would work. After following directions it is working flawlessly! Well done! Thank You "DMZ"!

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by dmzcompute (2/10/10 11:19 AM) reply + / -
Glad it worked. I have a funny story. Monday I had a couple of calls. One was to a location I have been many times and they have a large number of 2200's. The complaint was the printer squealed when the print command was sent and would not pickup the paper. I tested and sure enough it was the laser/scanner motor and I did my thing and had it fixed in about 15 minutes. Left the site and went to another call and then back to my office. They told me they forgot to tell me that this place had another printer issue in their other building so I would have to return. Went there and this time the issue was a fatal error when it went to print. Checked the error and low and behold it was a laser/scanner motor error. Did my thing and again in 15 minutes unit was back working. The funny thing is that I have not had one of these in over a year and a half and with less and less of these printers in operation who would have thought I would have 2 in the same day and for the same customer.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by quercusmax (2/23/10 6:41 PM) reply + / -
This is just fantastic! I followed your procedure (aided by instructions in the HP 2200 service manual for how to open up the machine) and it worked perfectly! Thank you SO much - you have saved me hundreds of dollars that I was ready to spend on a new printer.

This is the second time that fixyourownprinter.com has come to my aid, the other being 8 years ago when my LaserJet IIIp failed but was easily repaired with a kit that I bought from this site.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by dirtydan (3/6/10 7:12 PM) reply + / -
Amazing! My 2200d was making tremendous noise and would not print. I've been having to use a cartridge-eating inkjet for over 3 weeks until I found time to attack this problem. I read this post on March 6, 2010, more than three years after it was posted! I downloaded the pdf service manual and disassembled to the laser/scanner assembly. I found a paraffin-based non-gumming lube (Norvey Turbine Lubricating Oil) at Ace Hardware and lubed the shaft of the motor (2 drops). One Shiner Bock later, I reassembled the printer and plugged it in... duplex test sheet prints just fine so this printer is going back to work. Hallelujah! Thank God for the internet and this website (and dmzcompute of course). Good Work! Many thanks! (Now I'll feel better about taking on the three other laserjets I've got sitting around that don't work.)

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by MTBella (3/16/10 4:09 PM) reply + / -
Fantastic! My 2200dn works again! Looks like the new part is $50 and a refurb is $35. Oil cheap! Thanks!

Printer now fixed, but now print density too light by quercusmax (3/27/10 10:17 AM) reply + / -
This is a follow-up from my earlier posting, in which I reported that I had successfully fixed my printer by following the great instructions posted in this forum.

Although my printer now works, it is now printing with output that is much lighter than before, to the point of being nearly unusable. Print density is set to 3 and I can't figure out any way to change it. But I'm also not sure why I should need to change it now.

Is there any chance that by opening up the printer and doing the repair that I somehow got dust or some other contaminant on some part of the optical path that might have lightened the output? Or something else?

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by MTBella (3/27/10 10:25 AM) reply + / -
May sound silly to everyone that knows more about these things than I do but...I always try taking my toner cartridge out - shaking it like crazy and putting it back in. I do this many times before I will replace a cartridge and I tend to get a lot of life out of them with good quality prints. That's all I got on the subject. Good luck.

Re: Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by moe (3/27/10 1:02 PM) reply + / -
Not only silly, but a really bad idea. Aggressive shaking will cause the toner to leak out all over. Gently rocking back and forth will equally distribute the toner with the same printing results, only a lot cleaner.

Re: Printer now fixed, but now print density too light by moe (3/27/10 1:06 PM) reply + / -
I don't know how careful you were in the disassembling process, but you could have gotten fingerprints all over the mirrors. Might have to open it up and undo what you did the first time.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by obie_fl (3/28/10 10:21 AM) reply + / -
I'm having these same symptoms and was hoping to apply the same fix. On my 2200d the motor is on the outside of the unit. The instructions above seem to infer it is in the inside. In any case I followed the service manual and finally have the motor attached to its small PCB in my hand. I see no easy way to remove the motor cover I don't see any piece of white plastic holding it. It looks to me that if I want to disassemble any further I have to take off the the small metal retaining ring on the underside of the shaft. Tell me I'm missing something obvious here.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by MTBella (3/28/10 10:33 AM) reply + / -
You may be looking at the wrong motor. I took my printer apart that far as well. Then I came to understand that the motor I was trying to find is inside of the black box wherein lies the laser/scanner pictured in figure 100 on page 129 of the HP laser jet 2200 service manual. Open up that box according to the instruction listed in this forum and you will see the little motor and the little white plastic piece and AH HA! Good luck!

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by dmzcompute (3/28/10 10:43 AM) reply + / -
What part of my post did you not understand?

"You have to remove the top cover and the big black box in the center is the laser/scanner assembly. Sometimes you can access the motor by just removing all the cables from the laser/scanner and then removing the screws which hold the cover on the laser/scanner assembly and remove the cover. If you can not access it that way, then you have to remove the 4 additional screws which secure the assembly to the frame. Now once you have access, the motor is the silver colored round item in the back of the assembly mounted on a small circut board. Remove the circut board and remove it from the laser/scanner assembly."

Printers have many motors. The motor is contained inside the "big black box".

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by obie_fl (3/28/10 10:51 AM) reply + / -
Wrong motor then I'm on the outside with the main drive motor. I had the laser/scanner assembly out earlier but didn't see any motor. I'll go back at it. Thanks guys I appreciate it.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by obie_fl (3/28/10 12:19 PM) reply + / -
Update: Found it! Put it all back together and so far so good. It is printing now but it sounds a little louder then normal. Thanks for helping out.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by dmzcompute (3/28/10 3:22 PM) reply + / -
What type of oil did you use. Synthetic is the best and also you should clean off the shaft before inserting it back in the hole.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by Anonymous (5/12/10 1:07 PM) reply + / -
How do I get the top cover off, I can not get it to unhook from the one side?

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by moe (5/12/10 3:43 PM) reply + / -
You do know that the printer has 2 sides, a front and a back.

Re: Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by quercusmax (5/12/10 5:47 PM) reply + / -
Perhaps you are having trouble disengaging the lever on the top right side? Doing that was the hardest part of disassembling my printer, although RE-engaging the lever afterwards was even harder.

Assuming this is your issue, you have to squeeze the end of the thick pin that is connected to the lever to disengage it. Hard to describe, but the HP maintenance manual does show it.

Re-engaging the same lever is frustrating at first - you just have to pull it up a little harder than feels comfortable to get it to line up.

Hope this helps.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by Anonymous (5/13/10 4:24 AM) reply + / -
yes that is what I needed thank you very much.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by PaulioB (8/11/10 8:43 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the information guys, especially dmzcompute. Lubricated the shaft, put back together and it worked first time!

No nasty noise, just like a new printer!

Thanks again

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by treblid (11/19/10 12:53 PM) reply + / -
Hello. My Laserjet 2200D won't feed paper and makes a loud grinding noise. Thought I'd try the lubrication fix, but I am ignorant as to what synthetic oil to buy and where to buy it. Would appreciate your help, please.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by dmzcompute (11/19/10 3:52 PM) reply + / -
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/specials/misc/chemicals/S93

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by ToolTime (12/18/10 9:04 PM) reply + / -
I have HP2200D. Is it possible that a poorly lubricated laser/scanner motor could affect image quality? Perhaps bad or difuse signals being sent to the drum? (-because of laboring motor?) At about the time the squealing became more consistently present (i.e. every time I print), smudges and repeating 'ghosts' began showing up on the printed page. In spite of a new Toner cartridge (96A), the printed page is filled with background 'smudging' and repeating. The 'smudges' don't smear. They are permanently fused to paper. Status Log Code 50013.
I have only 41,700 printed pages on the machine and would like to keep it. I have the HP service manual, but nothing in the manual discribes this poor image quality, nor does it describe the Code. The 'ruler page' diagnostics do not explain the 'ghosts', and difuse smudging. Perhaps a slow encumbered, poorly lubricated laser/scanner motor? Any ideas?

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by moe (12/19/10 8:34 AM) reply + / -
Absolutely impossible for it to be a scanner motor. Only 2 things can cause smudging and ghosting. The toner cartridge or fuser. Do a forum search on half stop test and perform it.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by ToolTime (12/19/10 6:49 PM) reply + / -
Moe:
Re: ToolTime - Scanner Motor, Ghosting and Smudging.
Thank you for your prompt response. I am lugging up the old HP2200D printer to re-run the tests in view of the additional data, and will report back.
Yet, I still want to 'treat' the squeaky squeal. And I don't quibble with your advice. It's just, that after reading through the several discussion threads that go back almost 5 years, it just seemed that the balky, sluggish scanner motor was guilty of everything from lost sleep, to jammed paper paths, and the loss of world peace. Consequently as such an important component, I wanted to treat it with the greatest of deference.
Just for the record, I previously used the Ruler page test, and in explicably, the ghosting did not line up with any of the measurements (that is, the distance between the original and the ghost line did not correspond to the approximate circumference of the drum.
With the next several tests, I will determine the differential between the Line tests and the half page tests.
And I still want to think about that lube job! Here's dreamin’ about zerk fittings!
I will report back.
Thx, ToolTime

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by ToolTime (12/19/10 10:54 PM) reply + / -
Moe:
RE: 2 Issues, Squealing Scanner Motor and Poor Printed Image.

I have completed the Half Page Test and repeated the Ruler Page Test. The only conclusion I can reach is that the defect on the page occurs prior to the page reaching the fuser. The Drum surface contains portions of incomplete print material, and roughly half of the Drum had clear portions and some smudging elsewhere.
I ran a fresh Staple’s Brand (pre-moistened) “Printer Cleaner Sheet” for Laser Jets. I ‘printed’ a blank page. The entire length of the cleaning sheet was smudged up, with repeating horizontal shadow-lines roughly 3 inches apart, beginning roughly 40% down the page, and then to the end.
Subsequently, I ran several ‘dry’ plain sheets of paper through the printer after the cleaning page, produced the same effect on the ‘blank’ printed page. Successive pages did not seem to lighten or diminish the repeating smudging and line defect.

I also discovered that the "Ruler Page" contained on page 207 of the HP 2200D Service Manual should NOT be used as an actual 'ruler'. This ‘ruler’ page is designed to help the service technician to determine which of the several rollers or drums are defective/failing, and producing the repetitive defects on the page. Unfortunately, the diagram is not to actual scale (it is about 5% compressed). It is merely there for informational purposes. Ideally that diagram should have been prepared to scale, (or a warning inserted about “not to scale”). I suspect many users have made the mistake to use this diagram as a ‘ruler’. The Manual suggested to “USE THE FIGURE BELOW” as a ruler, which is a mistake. Measurements/Analysis of the defective printed materials should be completed with an accurate measuring device, or scale -- then make reference to the ‘information’ on the 'ruler' page. Do not use the ruler page as an actual 'ruler'.
IN MY case, I discovered that the repetitive defect occurs every 94mm (3.07 inches). Consequently, the Drum (inside the Cartridge is bad). It was a 'new' cartridge, but was NOT a fresh cartridge, (over 3.5 years old, kept sealed, dry, cool and dark).
This does NOT explain the smudging throughout the printed page, or the smudging of a ‘blank’ printed page.
It would seem that an expensive but essentially unavoidable test would be to buy a replacement HP Cartridge (96A) and see if the printing defects disappear. Unfortunately, if the new Cartridge doesn’t do the trick, it is an expensive ‘test’.

The squeaking and squealing continues sporadically. Does it still behoove me to go to DMZ's, service tip for a pre-emptive lube of the Laser Scanner motor? I presume, that even if the Laser Scanner motor isn't completely frozen or terribly loud, it can't hurt? I understand the risks, but if we know there is a problem, why wait for it to surface? I have good skill levels, and have built small models and circuit boards in the past, and repaired small motors. What do you advise?
ToolTime

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by dmzcompute (12/20/10 5:13 AM) reply + / -
Man a lot of explanation for an obvious toner cartridge issue. If you get smudges with a blank page before the fuser the problem is the toner cartridge and nothing else. My fix is for a scanner motor error which results in a fatal error and the printer will not print. Your squeal is probably the toner cartridge also.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by moe (12/20/10 7:52 AM) reply + / -
I completely agree.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by ToolTime (12/20/10 7:55 AM) reply + / -
DMZ:
Thank you for your attention. And thank you for your level of simple confidence in the solution. The HP tech desk was less confident.
This exercise has revealed many issues, and far more instructive.
Note: In my case, with my HP LJ 2200D, the squeaking and squealing was present BEFORE the Toner cartridge change out, in response to poor printing performance. The status code was 50013. That code was not described in the Manual. I still have not received an unambiguous definition of 50013.

At that time, (a few months ago), I changed the toner cartridge, and the results were worse. What were the chances that I had two different 'bad' cartridges?

My searches led to your extremely helpful discussion threads. It just seemed that there were several interconnecting examples tying back to a scanner motor lube problem.
On the strength of your recommendation, I will replace the toner cartridge, and report to the community soon.
Thx, ToolTime

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by ToolTime (12/29/10 10:46 AM) reply + / -
Moe:
Don't you love it when a plan comes together?
You will recall I recently (Sep2010) changed out a Toner Cartridge 96A, replacing an empty cartridge. The replacement was a "New" but "Old" cartridge that had been unopened and stored carefully, in cool, dark place, for 3-4 years. Unfortunately, this New but Old cartridge, immediately began to produce smudging and duplicating lines and other poor image defects. Also, for some reason, there was excessive squeaking, etc.

Today, (29Dec2010) I swapped out the (New/Old) Toner Cartridge 96A, with a new one, manufactured 19Oct2010.

The printing errors and smudging ended, and the squeaking has abatted. Unfortunately, HP would not take back the defective (New/Old) cartridge. They said since I bought it more than 1 year ago, they offered me nothing for the defective (New/Old) Toner. So much for lifetime warranty. Contrary to popular opinion, these things do have a shelf life. There are no expiry dates on the packaging, (inside or outside).

Perhaps half a loaf (a working Printer), is better than no loaf.
Thankyou Moe, and thanks also to DMZCOMPUTE for your guidance.
Thx, ToolTime

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by moe (12/29/10 10:58 AM) reply + / -
From the bottom of the box.
This HP product is warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for product life (which is indicated by a printer control panel message)
In the event that your product proves to be defective, please return to place of purchase with a written description of the problem.

I've never seen one of those warranties that mentioned time. You really have to stand your ground and point it out to them. They count on the customer not knowing what the warranty says.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by ToolTime (12/29/10 4:32 PM) reply + / -
I will give it a "Go"! and see what they do. Thank you for your encouragement.
I can't tell you how exceptionally good it feels to beat the problem, with a device as complex as the HP LJ 2200D. It seems that I've been working a 'case of trouble' since my childhood, with my grand-dad, back in the 1950's. My first fix was to disassemble and reassemble an old Grandfather Clock, and replace the winding spring. No extra parts afterwards! Who knew? Almost always there is a fix, and the satisfaction is in the doing. Two college degrees later, and I'm still having fun!
Thank you and have an exceptional new year.
ToolTime

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by DCipher (5/23/11 5:52 PM) reply + / -
Worked like a charm

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by Oliver G. (5/28/11 1:34 PM) reply + / -
Just wanted to say thanks to DMZ. That single drop of oil saved me a lot of money.

Re: Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by Jim727 (7/27/11 12:43 PM) reply + / -
Many thanks, DMZ! I had a hard time believing that this would fix such a loud howl, but I followed your directions and one drop of tri-flow later and the printer is humming along again.

Appreciated!

Re: Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by sdjobes (12/6/11 12:55 PM) reply + / -
Almost 5 years to the day after you posted your LJ2200 remedy, I was able to find the answer and "repair" a squealing printer. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide instructions! Also, thanks to Roberwel19 for the additional details in another post.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by rewolff (2/17/12 12:44 AM) reply + / -
We'll be having a go at this today. I'm hopeful.

HP support just told me: "we don't support that printer anymore". This is the second HP that breaks down after several years, but with a /total/ print volume of about twice the recommended monthly volume. I'm guessing my next printer won't be HP.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by rewolff (2/17/12 4:02 PM) reply + / -
Success! The printer works again!

I was not able to remove the white plastic thingy. I just pushed it aside abit and the rotor of the motor came off.

For those who do NOT want to take their printer apart, but are interested in the details: The motor that spins the (six) mirrors is 3 phase a brushless DC motor with Hall sensor feedback.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by eric_s (7/17/12 5:26 PM) reply + / -
5.5 years later and your post resolved my issue. Done in 15 minutes. Thank you sir.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by ltrujillo (10/2/12 3:58 PM) reply + / -
FYI my "white plastic" was actually black and shaped like an upside down L. Other than that - the fix worked great TYVM!

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by ltrujillo (10/2/12 4:01 PM) reply + / -
FYI my "white plastic" was actually black and shaped like an upside down L. Other than that - the fix worked great TYVM!

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by travelerjjm (11/4/12 12:06 PM) reply + / -
I got the cover for the "black box" open and found the motor. I removed the four screws from the PC board, but the board doesn't pop out. Any ideas? Also is the white/black plastic part the rectangular post next to the motor?

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by dmzcompute (11/4/12 3:42 PM) reply + / -
Wiggle it a little and it should come out. If not remove the complete scanner unit and you will be able to pop it out.

Re: Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by iw5dxh (5/25/13 6:27 AM) reply + / -
I had the same problem, followed the instructions, and now I have a 2200D WORKING. (an I'm very very happy!!!)

Many thanks !!!

All the best to you!

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by AnneMM (8/22/13 10:42 AM) reply + / -
Well thank you, it worked for me too. I could only find some thicker synthetic grease, and I applied a tiny bit on the axis, which did the job.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by Lmosrie (8/24/13 4:20 PM) reply + / -
This fix worked like a charm! And I am totally technically challenged! Thank you so much for posting!!!! I bought 3-in-1 oil from Walmart for $3.50. Perfect.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by glh70 (8/29/13 9:53 PM) reply + / -
Thank you to dmzcompute if you're still around. My hp 2200 has been a workhorse and trouble free for so many years. I thought it was dead, but one little drop and it's back to life. Amazing.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by spt_prnt_fixer (11/21/13 1:52 PM) reply + / -
The fix that dmzcompute posted saved my department money. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. A couple drops of oil is much cheaper than a new scanner/laser assembly. Thanks again.

Re: hp2200d squeals when attempting a test print by FiveVolt (2/22/14 7:03 PM) reply + / -
After replacing the laser/scanner from a previous failure, this problem cropped up again. The first time a page I was printing came out funny and the motor stopped. This time, I got the bad noise when trying to print a new page, and that was it. The oil tip did the trick!

Is it possible that not using the printer enough can cause this to happen? I go through a cartridge about every 18 months.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters