fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Brother HL5140 Error

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Brother HL5140 Error by kevinm77 (12/21/05 3:50 PM) reply+1 + / -
My Brother HL5140 has the Toner,Drum & Paper lights on. If you press Status a secondary error is shown "toner". I have tried a new Toner and even replaced the fuser. Please Help - Thanks

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by kevinm77 (12/21/05 4:05 PM) reply + / -
Slight change - Toner, Drum, Paper & Status lights flash - When pressing go just the toner flashes & I have changed the toner!

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by spin2 (12/22/05 12:20 PM) reply + / -
Which lights go on when you press go + job cancel? And what is then the color of teh status light?

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by tsmith (5/11/06 2:59 PM) reply+1 + / -
Hi,
I am having a similar problem with my HL-5140. It wasn't printing at all. Each time I tried to print I received an error message. Turned printer and computer on and off several times with no change. When I pressed "status" on the printer the toner light starting flashing. I changed the toner, but now the paper light is flashing. There is plenty of paper in the tray and I have hecked multiple times for a paper jam. Now when I try to print it appears that the document has been printed (no error message), but it's not printing. Just "paper" is flashing on printer. There is no jam. Any suggestions?

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by tsmith (5/11/06 4:38 PM) reply + / -
Hi,
I am having a similar problem with my HL-5140. It wasn't printing at all. Each time I tried to print I received an error message. Turned printer and computer on and off several times with no change. When I pressed "status" on the printer the toner light starting flashing. I changed the toner, but now the paper light is flashing. There is plenty of paper in the tray and I have hecked multiple times for a paper jam. Now when I try to print it appears that the document has been printed (no error message), but it's not printing. Just "paper" is flashing on printer. There is no jam. Any suggestions?

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by johnpb (5/18/07 8:39 PM) reply + / -
toner and drum count reset is to turn on then with front door open hold down both buttens leds will light one at a time and after status lights release buttens close door let me know how you like it will see later

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by johnpb (5/18/07 8:41 PM) reply + / -
toner and drum count reset is to turn on then with front door open hold down both buttens leds will light one at a time and after status lights release buttens close door let me know how you like it will see later

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by acandelaria (7/10/07 5:29 PM) reply+1 + / -
The Drum LED blinks if the drum unit is near the end of its life. Use the drum unit until you have a print quality problem, then replace the drum unit with a new one.

The Drum LED continues to blink if the drum counter was not reset when you replaced the drum. To reset the drum follow the instructions below:
Press the cover release button and then open the front cover of the printer.

Press and hold down Go button until all 4 LEDs are lit. Once all 4 LEDs are lit, release the Go button.

Close the front cover.
Make sure that the Drum LED is now off.
CautionReset the drum counter only when you replaced the drum unit with a new one.

********* The was taken from Brother FAQ's & Troubleshooting page *********

I take no credit from this, except for taking the time to post it here =)

Re: Re: Brother HL5140 Error by Pauly (8/1/07 5:01 AM) reply + / -
Thank you! It saved me throwing out the printer!

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by eshulusky (8/11/07 9:00 AM) reply + / -
My HL-5140 makes a loud clicking noise just before it is about to print and also after I reinstall the toner and drum unit after I've taken it out. When it prints it leaves some vertical lines and smudging down on the bottom third of the page. While this happening none of the LEDs - drum, toner, or paper - light up. I replaced the toner cartridge and cleaned the corona wire but to no avail. My suspicion is that I have to replace the drum unit but maybe it's something else. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by Anonymous (8/11/07 11:43 PM) reply + / -
remove the toner/drum cartridge unit and shut the door. the machine will turn over a few seconds before saying no cartridge. during this time, does the clicking noise disappear?

if clicking noise persists, that rules out the toner and drum cartridges :)

other 2 most common causes are broken cog at the fuser and drive units.

bystander

Re: Re: Brother HL5140 Error by Anonymous (8/12/07 8:47 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for diagnosis, Bystander - I think you're on to something because the situation has appeared to have gotten worse: I now get a loud grinding noise that occurs when I turn on the printer and also after I take out the toner and drum unit. I would think that the problem is the broken cog mentioned above.

My suspicion is that the printer is now shot, being that the repair would cost more than replacing the unit with a new printer. Oh well...

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by eshulusky (8/12/07 9:00 AM) reply + / -
(It appears I goofed up and my reply got credited to Anonymous instead of my own username - sorry about that! Anyway, here is my reply under the correct username.)

Thanks for diagnosis, Bystander - I think you're on to something because the situation has appeared to have gotten worse: I now get a loud grinding noise that occurs when I turn on the printer and also after I take out the toner and drum unit. I would think that the problem is the broken cog mentioned above.

My suspicion is that the printer is now shot, being that the repair would cost more than replacing the unit with a new printer. Oh well...

Re: Re: Re: Brother HL5140 Error by IT Ponce (1/24/08 10:10 PM) reply + / -
Indeed, I can guarantee its a broken cog at the fuser You must replace the fuser

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by johnpb (1/24/08 11:35 PM) reply + / -
to tell if the fuser is bad turn it on with back door open look at rollers if the noise is from these and they dont turn its the fuser i replace them all the time very easy to do iam a printer tech in dallas texas can tell you how talk to brother about price as long as the gear to fuser only broke and not gear on printer body it will take about 15 screws and 1 spring an two wires easy reply to me and i will tell you how to do

Re: Re: Brother HL5140 Error by Anonymous (1/26/08 2:31 PM) reply + / -
The lousy instructions that came with my non-brother replacement drum were completely wrong. Thanks for the posting. I was ready to pull my hair out!

Re: Re: Brother HL5140 Error by Anonymous (3/10/08 5:56 PM) reply + / -
Much thanks for the post!!! It saved me from a lot of fustration.

Re: Re: Brother HL5140 Error by Anonymous (7/14/08 2:01 PM) reply + / -
My printer has exactly the same symptoms. Can you tell me how to proceed?

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by clhaupt (7/31/08 4:07 PM) reply + / -
How do you clear a paper jam when you can only see a tiny fragment of caught paper by turning the printer over and looking "upwards," but there's no way to reach the paper?

printer drum unit by SwaHealey (9/19/08 6:24 AM) reply + / -
how do i change the drum unit in my Hp2420 printer?
help me find the answer please its a question on my college course :) i have 3 days :(

Re: printer drum unit by Anonymous (9/19/08 4:23 PM) reply + / -
the drum is the front part of the toner cartridge not the part with the toner in it just go buy one where you get your toner they come with instructions

re: Brother MFC 7820N by slhatter (9/25/08 7:11 PM) reply + / -
The front door on my printer is stuck on the left side, and cannot be opened. Before this happened, the screen showed the cartridge and drum unit needed to be changed. When this showed up on the screen, I tried to open the front door to no avail.
Any suggestions?

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by Anonymous (12/18/08 4:26 AM) reply + / -
Having a problem with printer.
The status light is red, and the paper light is blinking.
The error says that it is out of paper, which is not the case. The printer is not printing.

Re: re: Brother MFC 7820N by Anonymous (1/11/09 7:03 AM) reply + / -
Same problem, front cover won't open--stuck on left side...Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Re: re: Brother MFC 7820N by Anonymous (1/16/09 6:56 AM) reply+1 + / -
You need a developer drive gear p/n LM5043001-P1, it fits in the gear train under the left hand side cover.

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by zebra_printers (1/16/09 12:52 PM) reply + / -
P/N LM5043001

This lists for $1.10.

Re: re: Brother MFC 7820N by Anonymous (3/19/09 7:26 PM) reply + / -
you have 1.broken develop-drive gear 2.develop-joint. the joint enters dr520 drums left-side to run drum, the drv-gear is broken too(gets pinched in "tranny-assy"). not a cheap-fix, been fix'g brothers since early 80's...

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by Anonymous (4/17/09 7:42 AM) reply + / -
My HL-5140 is printing a line down the length of each page-I recently installed a new toner cartridge, so that shouldn't be the problem (I replaced it only a couple of weeks ago). I took the toner/drum assembly out and cleaned the drum by moving the little blue plastic knob back and forth, but it's still printing that line-any ideas?

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by nivek (4/17/09 1:36 PM) reply + / -
do a half test. Print off a page and when its inside under the toner and drum open the lid and remove the paper. If the line is present before the toner is fused and the image is on the paper then its most likely the drum if its not present before but after fused then its the fuser. Usually if its the drum you can see the line on the drum surface. Sometimes you have to look closely and get the lighting just right so you can see it.

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by Lifteye (9/27/09 10:03 PM) reply + / -
I have just started experiencing problems when printing DOS based DBXL files to my HL-5140. Other files don't seem to be a problem.
When printing an A4 page, not always at the same point, the printer does a form feed I presume, and prints the remaining text on the next page. Occasionally I get a complete page OK on the one sheet, but rarely.
I have removed and replaced drivers etc to no effect. Any thoughts welcome.

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by kristenk (2/18/10 2:35 PM) reply + / -
Okay so my drum light was on and my boss bought a new drum which i installed and reset counter but now there is a grinding/soft bird chirp noise that occurs and the status light turns red along with a flashing paper light...any advice?

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by rusto (6/30/10 11:59 AM) reply + / -
This is how I was able to reset the drum counter on my HL-5140:

1. Turn the printer off.

2. Press and hold the Go button on the front of the printer, at the same time turn the printer power on.

3. When the Toner light is on by itself, release the Go button.

4. Push and hold the Go button again, release the Go button when the Paper light is on by itself.

Re: Re: Brother HL5140 Error by Eli's mom (9/24/10 7:48 PM) reply + / -
This fixed my problem. I couldn't print at all after replacing toner. I did as instructed and it worked. The instructions don't specify, so the lights don't all go on at the same time, but in a series. I let it go through the series about 5 times, waiting for them all to light up at the same time. Never happened, so I closed the lid, went back to my printer in the control panel and unclicked "pause printing" and it started printing all my documents.

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by Arthur Fink (11/20/10 6:02 AM) reply + / -
When I turn the printer on, there is a grinding noise that lasts for about 15 seconds. Then it stops. It sounds like something is turning for a while, and then comes to a halt.

Then, if I ask for a test print, it starts to print, but then stops. I can remove the cartridge assembly and find a mostly printed test sheet stuffed in back.

What might be the problem, and can I fix this myself?

Re: Brother HL5140 page count by drew kessler (4/19/11 6:10 AM) reply + / -
how do i get a page count thanks

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by tigger401416 (7/26/11 1:04 PM) reply + / -
I have a Brother HL 5140 which until now has been perfect. It recently started print faintly. I replaced the toner drum put to my surprise and disappointment its still faint.

Re: Re: Brother HL5140 Error by mjlee28 (edited 9/5/11 2:22 PM) reply + / -
i seen your response to this printer problem and i am having the same problem. Could you help me fix this problem? THE problem with the printer is that it makes loud noises and grinds and rollers do not turn. I need to replace the fuser.

Re: Brother HL5140 Error by Anne Dahlem (10/8/12 5:19 PM) reply + / -
Toner & status lights are on. Printer will not print.

Re: Brother MFC-7840W by davehool (3/7/14 10:32 AM) reply + / -
Makes a thumping noise, and paper jams inside. Removed the paper tray and still the noise coming from the back. I checked the back fuser and the rollers and gears turn.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters