fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

BROTHER HL-2030

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

BROTHER HL-2030 by adrianro (11/9/05 1:46 AM) reply + / -
I NEED A LITTLE HELP , PLEASE. MY BROTHER HL-2030 PRINTER HAS THE TONER LIGHT ALWAYS OPENED AND I THINK I NEED TO RESET IT. HOW DO I DO IT ? THANKS

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by DAVIDMAC007 (7/3/06 3:16 AM) reply + / -
Hi, I also need help. I have refilled my cartridge and I am getting a toner life end message. Any ideas??

Thanks

David

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by Anonymous (11/19/06 11:08 AM) reply + / -
try resetting white paddle on the side of the cartridge & then
reinstalling.(the paddle resets toner count)

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by Frank from Belgium (8/22/07 8:40 AM) reply + / -
Indeed. You'll find it on the left hand side of your toner cartridge . On the original cartridge that came with your Brother HL-2030, the gears inside prevent you from just turning the lever back to it's original place, which would indicate to your printer that the cartridge is full of toner. You need to screw the top open (3 screws), and take the tiny side panel along with the paddle gear out, slide it back into the full-position, and close the panel again. It's easy; just three screws. I suggest placing the cartridge in the vertical position (with the white paddle on the top side, of course) to prevent toner spillage and to make suer the other gears stay in place.

When you're done, put the cartridge & drum back into your printer and turn it on. All three light will go on, and then you can print again (toner counter will be reset).

Remeber to wash your hands if you touched the roll on the outside of your cartridge; toner is poisonous.

Good luck & happy printing!

Re: Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by Anonymous (8/22/07 3:48 PM) reply + / -
On a similar note, I have an MFC-7420 and refill the cartridges. I'm virtually certain there is toner in the cartridge but the printer will tell me "toner life end". I take it out, shake it up a bit, replace it and get some more use out of it until the message appears again. Yet, I'm still certain there is toner in there. I even reset the white paddle (I noticed that after I reset it, it went back to the "all done" position almost immediately.

Questions:

1. Why does my printer hit toner life end when there is toner in there? Is the only way the printer know if there is toner in there is by page count?

2. Does resetting the paddle necessarily mean you shouldn't get the "toner life end" message for another, say, 2500 copies?

David

Re: Re: Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by Chex (10/14/07 6:23 PM) reply + / -
Hi...

check out this post
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/37597#7

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by chrisjoerg (11/30/07 3:03 AM) reply + / -
heres a picture tutorial to fix the problem!

http://home.arcor.de/christianmeding/brother%202030/2030.html

Re: Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by Anonymous (12/20/07 12:50 AM) reply + / -
When you say reset the paddle I take it thats the little white bar . Behind it I can see some gear wheels. How actually do you 'reset' it. I have shoved it up a little way but it stops after a fraction of an inch. I xcan see two teeth of a grey gear wheel still visible on the top slot.

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by keith rowland (12/26/07 2:24 AM) reply + / -
how do i take out the toner cartridge

Re: Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by Anonymous (12/28/07 3:05 AM) reply + / -
Lower the front flap on the printer and pull out the toner plus drum as a single unit. Lay it on a firm, level (and hard) surface and then push down the blue lever on the left hand side while simultaneously grasping the toner unit in the centre, making certain you get only the toner unit and not the drum unit base beneath it (which I did several times before I got the hang of it.) Then pull it out - it is only held down by a couple of lugs, one either side. Now, if someone will only tell me in simple terms about that white paddle and resetting the toner count...

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by Fatal Swan (11/29/09 8:05 AM) reply + / -
I just joined this site just to post a solution, purely because Brother's practice is so irritating and so as many as possible of us can get around it. Covering the holes up with tape works, but only for a short while. The following solution is extremely simple, and works fine for me. However the credit goes to Chrisjoerg (above) - this solution is his (hers??), but it was written in German. This is my version of that description so that us English speakers here can fix our HL2030s too!

So, go to the picture tutorial first and keep that page open: http://home.arcor.de/christianmeding/brother%202030/2030.html

With the printer turned on, open the main toner flap, but leave the toner cartridge in. On the left side, the flap is attached to a small piece of black plastic (marked 'aushangen' on the first picture). It is easily detached from the flap. Then carefully push the sliding black plastic part back into the printer (later on it will help you to trick the printer into thinking the flap is closed).

Then, look inside the printer for the white plastic lever on the left hand side (marked 'groBer schalter' in picture number 2). Take something long, thin, and non-metallic, like a pencil, and push the bottom, which results in the little white switch being depressed (marked 'micro schalter' in the picture). Keep it pressed down as you perform the next step!

Finally, look for another small white plastic lever next to the black part that you slid back into the printer (marked 'kleiner schalter' in picture number 4). Once you press this down, the printer really does think you've closed the flap, and it will start whirring into life. After a second or so, let go of the pencil, or whatever you were holding down the white lever with. The 'ready' light will be on, and your toner light will have gone off!

Hopefully this is the definitive solution we've been looking for - Please let everyone know if you have success with it!

Re: Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by charley_o (12/3/09 10:31 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Frank and Fatal Swan. The translation and the diagrams posted by Fatal Swan didn't fix the problem because as Frank points out the cartridge has a paddle which signals the toner is empty so although I could print one page after resetting according to the directions of Fatal Swan the toner light came on again. So I followed Frank's advice but didn't understand the bit about the "paddle"... then I worked out it is the white end of the gear that is visible before you take the side panel off. You have to take this gear out (easier if you take the gear next to it out first) then turn it slightly before replacing it. It'd be nice to know the original position when it was full but don't have an original full cartridge to check...
anyway, it's printing again and still has toner... thanks!

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by seriously (12/3/09 7:20 PM) reply + / -
original position (when new) is all the way to the left.

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by berni0815 (12/10/09 5:14 AM) reply + / -
I still don't get the part about the "paddle". I found the white gear, that lookes out, and I managed to remove this gear and turn it. But unfortunately it's round. What does "left" mean? I found a tiny hole inside the gear, so first I thought this is meant. I turned it to the left, but it didn't work. After I opened the cartridge again, it was moved to an other position. Any ideas?

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 (bis) by squizfr (12/28/09 4:05 PM) reply + / -
After some search on google, and after my first post here, I found the Yoda's way to make my Brother HL-2030 working again... !

Wouahhhh ! all credits goes to the man here :
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=509843

thanks to all ;-)

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by pesec (2/12/10 12:17 PM) reply + / -
Ref FATALSWAN 29 Nov 09
It worked a treat.
My printer is a recent purchase and the toner cartridge does not have a paddle. I dismantled it and it is just gears intermeshed - no sign of a paddle.
Many thanks for the info.

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by berni0815 (2/25/10 1:53 AM) reply + / -
I tried the reset sequence squizfr linked to (open cover, press Go, start printer while pressed, when three leds on and ready of unpress Go, then twice Go, wait until lights on, then five times Go). Unfortunately I typed some other

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by berni0815 (3/1/10 9:03 AM) reply + / -
Unfortunately my old posting has been capped and I was not allowed to correct it nor to write an other posting. What I wanted to write is, that I typed some other code 3/5 probably and now the printer does not respond to nothing anymore. Does anyone know these hidden codes and their meaning? Does anyone know how I can get the printer back in a mode where he responds again?

Re: Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by Anonymous (3/1/10 11:56 AM) reply + / -
I would say ask for support to Brother by email, but not sure that you will get an answer ;-[

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by angela1969 (3/2/10 1:38 AM) reply + / -
Here is a video showing hopw to reste the gear.

The gear is reuired to be reset only when you put the toner cartridge back into the printer. After you print a few pages it moves back into the unset position.

http://www.zinetic.co.uk/video/hl2030.aspx

Re: Re: Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by Anonymous (4/1/10 2:36 AM) reply + / -
Thanks guys, it worked perfectly. My toner light was on (even though toner was full). So as explained above, I opened up the side panel of the cartridge, moved the white lever to the left, closed up, and bob's my uncle. I truly am blessed by the internet community. You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the help. Have a great Easter, and remember that while we were still sinners, Christ died for the ungodly.

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by h. de groot (4/30/10 9:56 AM) reply + / -
hi, my HL 2030 HAS A PAPERPROBLEM. After the failuresign (red light) i find the paper crincled between the papertray and the toner cartridge.
I cleaned the rolls at the frontsite.
I cleaned them in the middle.
No sign of improvement.
I'm not technical, so have mercy with me if you answer.
thanks
Huip

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by deep (edited 4/30/10 12:09 PM) reply + / -
Removed the left cover you would find a gear at the bottom right corner.
Under the gear, there is a white lever and a solenoid. Clean out any sticky material from the lever and solenoid and your printer should be back to work.

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by bakkoltd (5/14/10 7:56 AM) reply + / -
ONLY THIS WORKED FOR ME:
Combination of both - resetting the white lever near the gears AND taping the transparent plastic pieces on both sides of the cartridge. If you don't tape the plastic caps you will be able to reset the toner counter, but after the first few prints the printer will notice that there's not filled up to the top cartridge inside of it.

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by Ron100 (7/3/10 2:11 PM) reply + / -
My Brother HL 2030 drum is near the end of its 15000 page life.
Replacements are advertised as only 12000 pages - even originals - and I am wondering if there is any way to prolong the drum life.

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by philly5706 (7/6/10 2:26 PM) reply + / -
You can prolong it forever if you don't use your printer :)

Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by nivek (7/6/10 3:26 PM) reply + / -
On the brothers the machine's dont quit working when the drum is at the end of its life so there is no need to replace unless the print quality is bad. Even if for some reason yours quits at the end of its life. The reset is just done by a procedure. you dont have to replace it to reset the counter. The best way to extend the life of these drums is to use OEM cartridges. Ive yet to find a good reman of these. I can always tell when a reman is used because the machine is filthy inside and the charge grid is covers in toner and the drum surface looks like someone took sandpaper to it.

Re: Re: BROTHER HL-2030 by Ron100 (7/6/10 3:35 PM) reply + / -
Thanks nivek - that's encouraging news especially as I use OEM cartridges.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters