fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl?

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by thall88 (6/6/05 6:18 AM) reply + / -
Hi,

I'm printing (duplex) booklets out on 28lb. paper and am getting too much paper curl when I print on any of my laser printers (HP4100 and Brother 5150D). I've tried the following without any luck:

different paper (brands, weight)
lowered fuser temp
different printers
stacking heavy books on top of printout on flat surface
acclimating paper before using
opening paper and acclimating before using
fanning paper before putting in tray

I get decent results if I take each piece of paper as it comes out of the printer and stack it individually, but this is way too labor intensive. I'm assuming this method allows the paper to reabsorb moisture lost in the fusing process that it would not normally be able to get if I leave it in a stack.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the moisture content as allowing steam to reach the stacks seem to help with the curl also. I'm in Houston so I doubt if the problem is due to printing in a dry environment.

Thanks in advance,
Thall88

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by Stephen (6/6/05 8:10 AM) reply + / -
I recommend using the HP LaserJet 4100, feeding from the fromt tray, and using the rear output tray.

Here are the HP Guidelines:

Turn over the stack of paper in the tray. Also, try rotating the paper 180 degrees.

Make sure that the type and quality of the paper being used meet HP specifications. (See the printer User's Guide for information about media specifications.)

Make sure that the environmental specifications for the printer are being met. (See the printer User's Guide for information about environmental specifications.)

Try printing to a different output bin.

If paper is lightweight and smooth, change the fuser mode. Open the Configure Device menu at the printer control panel, scroll to the Print Quality submenu, scroll to FUSER MODES, and then select the paper type being used. Change the setting to LOW, which helps reduce the heat in the fusing process. Also, set the type of paper for the tray being used.

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by thall88 (6/6/05 8:27 AM) reply + / -
Stephen,

Thanks for the response. I have tried changing the paper orientation (turning over and rotating) without any result. I'll check the specifications but have tried using HP laser paper without any improvements. I may try moving the printer downstairs where it stays cooler and is probably less humid. I am running the fuser at low and have switched out fusers to see if possibly the fuser was running too hot.

Thanks,
Tommy

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by Anonymous (6/22/05 9:07 AM) reply + / -
I cannot give you a direct response to your question. With 28 lb. paper it will curl (from my data) toward the printed side. The paper structure (fiber orientation on one side vs. the other) and internal strain (free shrinkage by wetting and drying) are a couple factors. If you like, look at my website at www.papercurl.com for more on this potentially complicated problem.

Chuck Green

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by lukehealey (6/22/05 3:34 PM) reply + / -
From HP LJ5000 Manual:
Excessive curl.
Problems with feeding - Too moist, wrong grain direction or short-grain construction.

Open the rear output bin.
Use long-grain paper.
Set PAPER REFORMING=ON.
Set FUSER MODE=LOW.

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by Chuck Green (6/22/05 4:57 PM) reply + / -
The stated problem is about curl after toner has been fixed to the paper. Also mentions that a variety of papers have been tried. I wonder if a Xerox product would work. They claim they have good paper. As mentioned in my earlier email, paper properties can be important. You can send me an email to talk about the problem in more detail if you wish (techman@papercurl.com.

Chuck Green

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by dmzcompute (6/22/05 7:08 PM) reply + / -
I would try Stephen suggestion of using the back straight line output bin. You can print the job in reverse order so the paper is in the correct order when using the faceup output bin. By using this bin there is one less curve the paper has to feed especially after the fuser. You could also try using the manual feeder and the faceup bin so there is even less curving of the paper in the path.

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by pcrmike (6/22/05 8:40 PM) reply + / -
Yes, straight path is very important. I print a lot of service manuals, and straight path is vital. I can run on a little Samsung ML-1430, and if it comes out the top, it will likely curl. If it comes out the front, it doesn't. No other changes. :-) PCRMike

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by musanim (4/29/08 8:58 PM) reply + / -
With some kinds of paper, I've reduced curl by printing on both sides (printing an empty page if the page needed to be blank).

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by Rizon (4/30/08 7:57 AM) reply + / -
That will work in the fact that it simply curls the other side as well, but since it is curled already in the opposite directions, it simply evens it out a little bit.

It's like when you roll up a poster, and then when you unroll it, you can roll it up the other way (and then unroll it again) for it to stay a little bit flatter.

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by Chuck Green (4/30/08 9:01 AM) reply + / -
Some things that affect laser printer curl

(1) the side of paper printed
(2) long vs. short grain paper
(3) its moisture content
(4) basis weight
(5) long and short edge feed
(6) paper source including mill, paper machine and manufacturing conditions (for example, Xerox 4024DP® paper brand is made in several mills but the curl properties from each source are not exactly the same. Sheet structure makes a difference.
(7) non-paper effects like paper path, bending applied to the paper in its travel, including in the nip itself (fuser roll) and temperature of fuser and backup rolls.

All of the above should be considered as possible variables. For the small volume paper user trying different papers is probably the best approach. For more information on curl email me at techman@papercurl.com.

Chuck Green

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by Chuck Green (9/25/09 10:02 AM) reply + / -
FREE CURL TEST

On one sample (letter size or A4 grain long)

Send 25 sheets to have HOT BEND curl and/or
other tests done on “copy” paper.

Indicate the manufactured top and bottom side
of the paper, if known.

Send samples Charles Green, 23 Maryvale Dr.,
Webster NY 14580 phone: 585-265-9734
(techman@papercurl.com)

Provide your email address and phone number
to receive results.

Notes:

No provision is made here for how fast results will be returned.
Additional testing may be required to analyze a problem
This is not a scam, but it has some implications, if you read carefully

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by Gene Service Tech (5/25/10 3:25 PM) reply + / -
The proper way when copying on the reverse side of the paper is to reverse your lead edge on your second pass though the fuser
The properties of paper will change upon entering the heat and pressure from the fuser assembly
Reverse the origin second side on the glass or feeder to accommodate the changed lead edge of the copied first side image
will reduce wrinkling and jamming in unit
Gene Service Tech 25 Years

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by Anonymous (5/25/10 5:05 PM) reply + / -
Have had good results with Georgia Pacific paper

some of the high end printers have built in decurlers

we do run into this problem in the printshop

one side of the paper will curl more than if the other is used
try flipping it over.

I would suggest using a 11x 17" capable machine or at least test one out, I take it both your printers run short edge feed?

According to the nice folks at Boise Cascade there is a wire side and a felt side-the felt side is meant to be printed on first due to a better finish.I am not using thier paper though.

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by ZiggyA (10/11/10 12:49 PM) reply + / -
I have a Samsung printer that was working great - no curl at all. Then there was a rather deep paper jam. I cleared it, and since then, lots of curl. It seems like no-one knows what to do. Oh, well.

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by John A. Ardelli (8/20/12 12:37 PM) reply + / -
Interestingly, I only have this problem after the paper's been opened out of its packaging a day or two; if I put in paper that just came fresh out of the package there's no curl at all. My guess is that it may be due to humidity since it's most severe in the summer.

Re: Re: Anyone know how to get rid of paper curl? by moe (8/20/12 5:12 PM) reply + / -
You're like surrounded by water. No wonder you have all that humidity. That's a primary cause of paper curl. We're close to the Pacific, but humidity is barely 20% here on a bad day.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters