fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00)

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by jonathan (edited 4/19/05 1:50 AM) reply + / -
Hiya people!

HP LJ 4200Ln

I get Error 13.20.00 on startup (paper jam). There is no paper stuck anywhere inside the printer causing this so I must assume that a sensor has gone faulty.

I can get sensor PS107 and PS101 from HP parts but not PS102, PS103, PS108 which are all listed in the service manual. HP insist I buy the full assembly (registration, fuser or input) which I just cannot afford.

Are the optical sensors the same part essentially? Can one be interchanged with another. Would I get away with replacing the faulty optical sensor with one of the above available parts.

Other than my speculation, does anybody have a solution to the 13.20.00 problem that worked for them?

I'd be very much obliged.

Regards
Jon

just read this back...
Apologies for the terse tone - I'm actually shivering with fear here because I've a dissertation to print and hand in very soon now and no way to print it. Help.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by dmzcompute (4/19/05 6:51 AM) reply + / -
Sensor themselves rarely go bad. It happens but I can honestly say that in all the printers I have worked on, at most 1% with a 13 error have had a bad sensor. This particular error probably relates to the group of 3 sensors you say you can not get separately which is true since they are all part of major assemblies. What you want to check is not the sensor but the flag which activates the sensor. See how the sensor moves as the flag is pushed by the paper and my gut feeling is there is a shred of paper keeping one of those sensor flags from returning to their normal position. If memory serves me and I could be wrong, the most likely sensor will be PS102. This sensor is on the main board and the flag is BEHIND the manual tray. In order to access the flag you have to remove the complete tray 1 assembly which on this printer is a bit of work. Since you have the manual, this is the first thing I would do. Good chance there is a piece of paper back there keeping the flag in the wrong position. I would also venture to say that your probably had a paper jam and you removed the jam and it was then that error persisted. For the other two sensor flag just check their movement. You will have to remove the fuser which is easy to check that flag and for the registration assembly just lift up on the unit as though you are clearing a jam and make sure the flag which will move towards the back of the printer when paper is feeding is in the up position towards the front of the printer. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by bisawest (4/19/05 10:23 AM) reply + / -
I agree with DMZ...I have seen quite a few of these with paper stuck behind the MP tray. Always remember: If you remove a piece of paper that was jammed, but you do not have a full sheet of paper, than there is still some left in the printer. Have a nice day!!!

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by jonathan (4/20/05 6:06 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for your input bisawest and dmz - much appreciated.

I posted an earlier reply but it doesn't seem to have appeared.

regarding residual paper scraps in the machine, I have already checked for these and there are definitely no bits hanging around inside there. I have checked superficially the operation of the most accessible of the flags (in the registration assembly) using bits of insulating tape and it seems to be functioning ok along with its sensor.

I will check the operation of the other flags as soon as I can. I have a bit of a dilemma though - I have no printer to print out my dissertation but I can't stop working on this to fix the printer. Ho hum.

Before I saw your replies I drove 150 miles yesterday to collect two sensors (PS101 and PS107) in the hope that they would be the same throughout the unit. After all, they perform the same job so why should they be manufactured to different specifications? HP techsport informed me that 'the printer would know they are different' and not function.

As a bit of background, I bought this printer from an online retailer as a 'special' at a very good price. It was sold as working. You might suggest I return it pronto but they will not repair, only refund. I could not possibly afford the full price for this printer. On its delivery I gave my old printer to my neighbour (LJ4p which gave years of good service) only to discover the error message once I'd turned it on. I assumed it was something simple to fix so decided to keep it and attempt a repair. It's a lovely printer with some good specs and, above all, a HP for which I have a great deal of respect.

The awful truth now seems to have dawned.

I'll let you know how I get on but, in the meantime, if you have any further suggestions, please feel free to share them!

Kind regards
Jon

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by bisawest (4/20/05 7:04 AM) reply + / -
Jon,
The 4200 is an excellent printer. Once you get it to print, you will be amazed at the speed with which it prints.
The problem with this kindof jam is that you will not be able to see the paper, as there can be half a piece of paper in there and it could all be hidden.
Here is something you could try without taking it apart. Get a manilla folder (or a piece of cardstock) and cut off a piece 3-4 inches wide, and about 10 inches long. Pull out tray 2 (the drawer) and look up in there towards the front. There will be a slot where the paper would go up through, if it could. Try to slide your new tool (the folder) through this slot. If you pull out the toner, and lift the metal flap beneath it, you should be able to see your folder. If you cannot push it all the way through, than you have the jam that we are talking about. I have only been in the biz for around 6 months, but I have seen several of these jams, and never had a sensor go bad. If you need more help, let us know. Good luck! Have a nice day!!!

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by jonathan (4/23/05 2:46 PM) reply + / -
bisawest, dmz...

Thanks for your input. I actually managed to fix this!!

You were indeed correct isofar that the sensors weren't themselves faulty - however it wasn't a paper fragment issue.

I dismantled the whole printer (took about a day in all) and checked connections, flags and moving parts. I couldn't see anything obvious except when I reassembled the registration unit I noticed that the spring on the flag was misaligned. It could have happened during disamantling but I'd like to think that I spotted this problem.

Anyhow, I put the thing back together. Then I put it back together correctly. I didn't hope for much when I switched it on (in fact I didn't expect anything; lights or power) but - against all expectations - it bloody-well worked!

Anyway, I'm feeling self satisfied at the moment, not least because I got this at such a good price.

Well it's an awesome printer. Quality is superb and the speed is great like you said - about ten times that of my old 4p.

Thanks for your input.

Kind regards
Jon

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by bisawest (4/25/05 2:47 PM) reply + / -
Congratulations, and Good Job. We knew you could do it. Have a nice day!!!

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (5/11/06 6:17 AM) reply+1 + / -
Really weird - but we had this error, googled the problem it took 2 IT people to take the printer apart, once we read this post and tried the manila folder trick, the paper came out!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by wlulham (5/11/06 6:48 AM) reply + / -
Sometimes it's a tiny piece of paper (no bigger then a punched out hole sometimes), but quite often the sensor that sits behind the Tray 1 assembly gets off kilter.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by dmzcompute (5/11/06 12:56 PM) reply+1 + / -
I have seen quite a few lately on the 4200, 4250, 4300 and 4350 where the sensor flag on the feed assembly behind tray 1 gets stuck in the down position. The heavy stock or folder trick will usually release it and it does not seem to get stuck again. As has been said many times, simple first.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by TheEricHarris (6/2/06 8:08 AM) reply + / -
I am having the same issue with A 4350tn.

Getting 13.20.00 JAM IN TRAY 2.

No noticeable paper anywhere. I did the folder trick and ran it through the paper path with no obsticles.

Can someone send me or the link for the service manual so I can take this thing apart? I'm guessing I need to adjust the flag that everyone above is mentioning.

TIA,

Eric

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (6/9/06 3:46 PM) reply + / -
i know this is kind of late, but I had the same problem john had earlier today. The spring on the sensor was off, and putting it back on solved the problem!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by rapid (6/14/06 5:52 AM) reply + / -
thought i would post here, after 15 minutes hunting for a piece of paper, i did the card trick and it worked straight away, although in exchange i got a little rubber washer fall out, tee hee :)

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Tristan23x (7/21/06 5:54 AM) reply+1 + / -
I too have this issue, and feel like we can probably solve it, but I don't have the manual to take it part. Can someone link it to me?

JD

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (7/21/06 6:26 AM) reply + / -
As Dmzcompute said in the post above. Just try to take somthing thick enough to where it won't bend. Feed it up through the tray 2 paper path and see if you can get the paper out of the paper feed sensor.

It's not that hard to take apart. If you do end up taking it apart. There are two white rollers on the paper feed assembly. The roller on the left always likes to get pushed to the right a little bit causing problems to put the tray 1 assembly back on. This happened to me twice on disassembly.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Jeff Bolduan (8/4/06 9:24 AM) reply + / -
That manilla folder trick worked like a charm on our 4200n! Great idea!

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (11/6/06 7:03 AM) reply + / -
awesome fix, worked on one of the two printers that had this problem! thank you!

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (11/6/06 10:59 PM) reply + / -
hp laserjet 4250n (13.20.00 jam in tray2)

Re: Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by dmzcompute (11/7/06 4:07 AM) reply + / -
Did you bother to read the posts?. Try my suggestion below this one and if that does not work, the most common issue is a piece of paper stuck behind tray 1 in the feed assembly which will necessitate the removable of the tray 1 assembly.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Stephen (11/7/06 5:24 AM) reply + / -
With the 4250 series I've had a couple where the sensing lever/flag got stuck, I replaced the levers and springs on them and have not had any more problems. (had one 4350 do this too)

If the lever is stuck you can unjam it by sticking something down from the top of the printer and pushing on the lever, this is a lot easier to do once you have removed the MP input assembly at least once so you can see exactly how the flag works.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by mycroftb (12/4/06 6:55 AM) reply + / -
Just wanted to say I came across this thread after having this problem happen to me, and the cardstock jiggling did the trick! Saved me from having to take the whole thing apart (not a pretty sight, whenever I take a printer all the way apart and put it back together I end up with extra screws).

Thanks guys!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (12/21/06 6:01 AM) reply + / -
I took a compressed air can and blew everything out really well, checked the contact points, checked the cartridge itself and opened all the doors you can possibly open, then turned the machine off. After I opened everything I blew it out then closed the doors. Turned it back on and the error was gone. I also noticed there was a rubber band piece in the middle of the tray where the cartridge goes. It was off to the side so I re aligned it to the middle again, who knows what the problem actually was, all I know is this major cleaning fixed it.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (12/21/06 6:57 AM) reply + / -
I've had small scraps (and by small, I mean they were holes punched out of bond paper) get stuck in such a position wherein you couldn't blow it out using air. The tiny paper hole was wedged between the flag and the chassis.

The manilla folder trick might have worked, but it's so easy to just take apart I did it that way.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (2/12/07 7:30 AM) reply + / -
Folder WORKS!!! You my friend are the MAN!!!

Re: HP LJ 4250 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (2/12/07 10:12 AM) reply + / -
Removed tray 1 and found sensor, locked in tipped forward position. Jiggled it and it poped back up again. I can't get it to stick again so it's a mystery how it got stuck in the first place.

For me, that's 3 different fixes from this site so far.

Thanks a bunch!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by dmzcompute (2/12/07 4:18 PM) reply + / -
It is amazing how that sensor flag get stuck in that position in the first place, but it does. I have had about a dozen of them and when it is stuck hard I have to remove tray 1 to unstick it. Never been called back on one that I fixed. Go figure.

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by TROGDOR!! (2/15/07 2:03 PM) reply + / -
w00t! The folder trick works :-) I thought I'd gotten all the paper out after a particularly nasty paper jam, but I kept getting a paper jam error. Using a piece of junk mail printed on cardstock, I pushed it up thru the slot above Tray 2, and out popped this little wad of paper.

Many thanks. I owe you a beer.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by aerolaser (2/16/07 5:52 PM) reply + / -
The most likely cause of the flag being tipped forward: Number 1 cause removing the paper from the lower section reversing the feed direction and the paper catches and pulls the flag forward. If possible the paper should be removed from the top in the direction of the paper travel. Use two hands and pull evenly.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by NodnarbC (2/28/07 12:39 PM) reply + / -
Excellent advice here! I was receiving the 13.20.00 error on one my school's 4200n printers. Brought it back to the office to use the Super Air Compressor on it and still had the problem. Googled my problem, came across this forum, tried the heavy-stock paper trick and the problem was solved. Thanks guys! I'm sure I'll visit this site more in the future.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by brucelee123 (3/9/07 3:38 AM) reply + / -
I can vouch for this advice too, just cleared my paper jam with the card trick.

Thanks again

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (3/28/07 12:24 PM) reply + / -
Ok,

I tried the manilla foldier and no luck. Any other suggestions?

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (3/28/07 12:29 PM) reply + / -
Opps, nevermind. I got the paper out after trying many more times. Gret tip about the manilla folder

Re: Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by dmzcompute (3/28/07 6:11 PM) reply + / -
Then you have to remove the tray 1 (manual) assembly to get to where the paper is probably stuck. Lots of parts have to come off to remove that tray.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (3/30/07 3:19 PM) reply + / -
My problem was fixed by adjusting the spring located on the paper feed assembly back into the hole so that the sensor flag stays upright :)

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by pk.. (5/16/07 7:24 PM) reply + / -
Yeah I had to pull the bastard apart and reset one end of the spring on the black part that sits/rotates around the centre of the roller.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by gooner (5/29/07 7:42 AM) reply + / -
RESULT!!!! Folder trick sorted two of ours in work as well.

Many thanks

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (6/13/07 6:04 AM) reply + / -
Thanks,
The first papersensor was bloked,right behind the first tray.

It's working properly now.

Again thanks.

Marc Bitter

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by flippedcracker (6/21/07 5:19 PM) reply + / -
i'm having a problem and can't fix it with any of the methods in this thread. i have a 4350dtn and had a jam, that i cleared easily. but now, the jam message won't go away. i figured it's a sensor or flag or something, but can't find anything out of place. does anyone have a picture of the flag that's usually the culprit? maybe if i saw what a normal one looked like, i could compare it with mine. thanks!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by dmzcompute (6/21/07 6:17 PM) reply + / -
Did you remove the manual tray assembly. If not that is what you need to do and the flag in question will be mounted on the paper feed assembly a little left of center and is usually in the down postion or a piece of the jamed paper is pushing it in. It is black in color and snaps into the paper feed roller. Download the link below and the flag is in both items 1 and 2.

http://download.yousendit.com/B9DDC3530CB37EDF

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Briank (6/22/07 4:31 AM) reply + / -
Recently I came across this problem and it was caused by the left rubber roller on the front shaft of the paper feed assembly that was moving to the right and jamming the flag.

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by flippedcracker (6/22/07 10:53 AM) reply + / -
thanks dmz, that's exactly what i needed. i was able to fix it in about 15 minutes. i appreciate it!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (8/1/07 10:43 AM) reply + / -
Let me add to the list of replies here, thanking you for this tip. I made a little shim out of a manilla folder and basically slid it into any slot I conceivably get it into. I was discouraged at first when nothing came out so I kept poking around for a few minutes. Assuming I would get the error again, I powered it on and it worked fine. Amazing!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by brougham (8/16/07 2:53 PM) reply + / -
Could someone please post what the sensors are supposed to look like? I'm getting the same error, and the folder trick doesn't seem to be working.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by liem.pham (9/26/07 6:00 PM) reply + / -
i have a similiar paper jam. im not sure if it has anything to do with the sensors. the printer prints on its first print job. when you try to print a second print job, even though the printer doesnt even try to feed in paper it says there is a paper jam. 13.01.00. Now if i take the tray back out and put right back in, it will then print then print the second print job. its seems as if it will not print if tray 2 is already lifted. If anyone has any idea whats wrong please let me know. thank you.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (9/26/07 6:09 PM) reply + / -
Pickup rollers are more than likely worn.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by liem.pham (9/26/07 9:42 PM) reply + / -
i dont understand how it could be the pickup rollers if i could print all day long...its just that i have to keep opening and closing back tray 2. The paper gets picked up, but once the tray is lifted it wont pick back up again until they tray has been opened and closed again.

Laserjet 4200 Jam by John.DeRung (9/26/07 9:51 PM) reply + / -
I have a Laserjet 4200 that only jams after power save. WE've
had the printer for years and it just started. We pull paper tray
2 out and push it back in and all is well. But it happens every
time the printer goes into power save. If you print while it
is warm it never happens. Ideas?

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by moe (9/26/07 10:28 PM) reply + / -
Jams where?

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by liem.pham (9/26/07 10:45 PM) reply + / -
doesnt jam anywhere...rollers do not attempt to pick up paper after the first print job. Id print a configuration page and it will print. Id wait for a few seconds let everything clear then try to print again. then it will say that there is a jam. if i open and close tray two it will then be able to print again.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by moe (9/26/07 10:51 PM) reply + / -
What happens if you try to print to tray 1 instead of tray 2 under the same circumstances?

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by liem.pham (9/26/07 10:57 PM) reply + / -
there are no problems with printing from tray 1.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by dmzcompute (9/27/07 5:11 AM) reply + / -
It may just be a case of worn pickup rollers. Watch from the rear when priniting from tray 2 to see if the rollers turn and do not pickup the paper. If that is the case rollers need to be replaced.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by liem.pham (9/27/07 7:02 AM) reply + / -
the rollers do not turn on the second print job.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by rplines (11/5/07 12:53 PM) reply+1 + / -
I followed through with the suggestion that a sensor flag at the registration rollers was jammed/stuck. After reading the postings and removing the registration assembly, because that seemed pretty easy to me, I found the paper sensor "stuck" somehow, in the wide-open position. It took a little force to flick it unstuck, and realized I had just resolved the problem from reading postings on fixyourownprinter.com postings! Thanks guys. RPLines-Memphis-TN. (I am actually posting helpful information as follow-up info from reading postings. See, I got involved as a field tech and my experiences!!)

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by aurora1982 (11/11/07 1:15 PM) reply + / -
Thanks allot, the flag after tray 1 was stuck.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (12/13/07 3:00 AM) reply + / -
many thanks............

The folder trick worked.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by CodyX (12/14/07 6:57 AM) reply + / -
I love to hear a good flossing working :P

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (1/7/08 5:23 AM) reply + / -
Thx a lot, worked perfect for me!!! There wasnīt any paper inside, but the printerīs working again.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by caspah (1/28/08 8:20 AM) reply + / -
Thanks guys.. the manila folder trick worked like a charm..

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by mrinvader (1/29/08 7:17 AM) reply + / -
was a frippin piece of tape for me X( grr.. nice work folks. thank you!!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by hansv (2/13/08 7:32 AM) reply + / -
The folder thing worked to find out what was wrong, but now I have to find a way to remove the stickers.... :(

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (3/11/08 11:16 AM) reply + / -
You had it exactly right and helped me look good! I don't usually have time to respond or say thanks but this was just too good to be true. Thans again bisawest.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by bonzo56 (3/14/08 1:26 AM) reply + / -
The wheels are grinding on the left side. When I push the fuser
assembly up into it the grinding stops. I just need to know what
part number the other wheel(s) may be and where I can order them.

Re: Laserjet 4200 Jam by John DeRung (3/14/08 7:05 AM) reply + / -
Ok, I let this thread drop for a while, thought we had it fix, but no. We have a two laserjet 4200's. When they are in power save and someone prints to them we get a 13.1 paper jam about 50% of the time. To fix it, all we do is pull the paper tray out an inch and push it back in. It appears that the 4200 is not picking up the paper after power save sometimes. Othertimes it picks the paper up. By picking up the paper I mean the tray actually raises in the paper tray to the top. So sometimes in powersave is appears the paper tray is lowering the paper. Anyone of ideas? Both printers have done the same thing. Both purchased a different times. If it makes any difference we have only Mac's running 10.4, no PC's.

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by dmzcompute (3/14/08 4:05 PM) reply + / -
Generally the swing plate gear does not wear out on this printer since they have the spacer in place. What you want to check are the clips on the fuser which secure it to the printer frame. Generally the blue clip on the gear side if it does not have the metal reinforcement bar tends to break or stretch and hence the fuser does not sit firm against the swing plate gear. Also sometimes the platform the fuser sits on tends to lower a bit also causing an issue. If you remove the formatter and the left side cover you will see 3 screws on each side which secure the platform. Just loosen the screws and then pull up from the bottom and towards the front with you hand and then retighten the screws. If the gear inside which meshes with the fuser gear is worn then you can order the swingplate kit from this site for the 4250/4350 and it will work on your printer.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K91

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (5/13/08 8:31 AM) reply + / -
I' ve took apart the whole front assembly, no paper found. I pulled oout the try an tried to print fomr tray 1 still wont get passed the error, How do i go about checking a sensor?

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Joe Invader (5/13/08 12:24 PM) reply + / -
pull the part above the pickup roller assembly of tray 1 and fold a piece of paper in half lengthwise, then again, and stick it in the paper path where the plastic part was.

look for any other black plastic levers and make sure they swing freely. look at where they stop for a small square U shaped slot that the other side of the lever goes through. check for fuzz or paper debris on those too. a shop vac with the hose in the exhaust hole may be your friend at this point.

This page has pics and further troubleshooting.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com

Hope this helps...

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by DaNk75 (5/15/08 1:57 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem with my hp 4350, I kept getting a 13.20.00 jam in tray 2, but I never had a paper jam. I tried a few of the things suggested here and what worked for me was removing the manual tray assembly, and the spring on the flag on the paper feed assembly was not on correctly, so I fixed that and that worked. Thanks guys!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by printermedic (5/30/08 4:20 AM) reply + / -
I had a printer today with this error. The slot where the paper is fed up from Tray 2 was heavily contaminated with paper dust. A can of compressed air soon sorted that out and the machine works perfectly.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by MichaelTech (6/17/08 7:32 AM) reply + / -
this is the classic problem, but one other has come up that was defying repair. I had given up, and another tech, noticed the paper flag was sticking. The return spring for the P/U-feed rollers shaft had slipped out, and was hidden by the black plastic cover. It held the flag up, and thus the mysterious "error 13.20" So, it is not always the feed assy flag.

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (6/17/08 8:45 AM) reply + / -
Oh... Anyways when I went to put the screws back in it stopped working.... so i took the back out and guess what... I printed up 1500 pages and no jam. YIPPIE!! for me... So to this discussion I offer another solution to the many this printer has...

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (6/18/08 6:58 AM) reply + / -
Had the same issue with 4250n, was going to cost Ģ220 +vat. Found this Forum and with your insight - tried and tested, IT WORKED. So a big THANK YOU to GOD for all of you. Knowledge is precious, when shared it's Great. Joe Invader "the link was the key to my issue."

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (7/9/08 4:50 AM) reply + / -
Thanks joe the HP link helped with the pictures the paper trick didn't work but a screwdriver popped the sensor back into position once I knew where to look.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by WAR ZONE (7/21/08 12:50 PM) reply + / -
ALCON,

" bisawest"'s solution regarding a hard board 3" x 10" pushed up through the paper feed slot from Tray2 worked.

I took a magazine cover, folded into quarters (so width was 3") and fished out the smallest piece of paper. JAM CLEARED.

Thank you bisawest!

-IT guy in IRAQ

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by moe (7/21/08 3:30 PM) reply + / -
Always glad to help our boys who are keeping the terrorists too busy to attack us again. It's also nice to save a good HP printer from being used for target practice ;-)

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (9/28/08 12:42 PM) reply + / -
Yup- cardstock flossing worked for me, too. Thanks a million. I'll pass this along to the other technicians in my office.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by brrrett (10/20/08 11:41 AM) reply + / -
Awesome, folder trick sniffed out the hidden piece of paper.

Re: HP LJ 4250 JAM (13.20.00) by olamcomputer (12/4/08 1:04 AM) reply + / -
please i want u to show all the part where all the Sensor are
thanks olam

Re: HP LJ 4000 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (1/2/09 10:11 PM) reply + / -
Folder trick worked amazingly on my HP LJ4000 PJam (13.20)!!

Thank you for the advice

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Mikl (1/16/09 11:34 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Joe, paper didn't work for me either but your link to the pictures showed where the sensor was. A small screwdriver then unjammed it. Would have never found it without the pictures!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (1/21/09 9:56 AM) reply + / -
Folder thing worked like a charm. I am now the office hero. Thanks!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by mcarrieri (2/17/09 5:16 PM) reply + / -
I ordered the assy from PartsNow! Anyone have a link to the installation manual?

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (2/26/09 2:34 PM) reply + / -
Cardstock paper trick worked!! Awesome! Thanks Bisawest!

-AD

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (3/6/09 7:42 AM) reply + / -
This cardstock paperjam thingy worked great!, Thank you.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Rainierdad (5/1/09 9:07 AM) reply + / -
I had this same issue, and tried everything...changed rollers, the paper trick. And the printer would print fine, and then jam....with no paper jam. It was VERY random, and could not be duplicated on a consistent basis. Come to find out, it was the paper tray pickup roller spring. If you open the tray, and push down on the roller with the blue plastic on it, it should snap back. Mine wasn't because the spring was missing. Replaced the spring, have not had a jam since.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (5/27/09 1:21 PM) reply + / -
We.ve had this problem also. It came after another company or some mister fixit in the company tried his hand at being a repairman. Ther are two versions of the registration assembly One has one cut out that allows the sensor flag to move freely. Another has two cut outs. If they get mixed you can also have this problem. So, if you have tried all the tricks check the flap on the registration assembly for the right amount of cutouts.

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (7/17/09 11:05 AM) reply + / -
I tried the manila folder to "floss" the system. No luck, but what a great quick fix to try first.

Ended up having to disassemble the printer to get to the flag to move. It was jammed all of the way back. Freed it up, and all is well.

I took a "white-out" pen to mark along the top of the flag. Now if it hangs, I'll be able to determine that it isn't working and is stuck.

Once you can see the flag and how it moves, it's a piece of cake, but it's a real PITA if you've never seen it or seen how it's supposed to work.

Great site and great info, thanks a ton!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (9/10/09 4:19 PM) reply + / -
it WOrk for me !!! the manila folder or the cardstock heavy stock i open the tray and put the paper where the last paper jam happened and force to pull to the other side. THanks Somuch!! for the trick!!!! YOu save me!! you are the Man!!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Crolack (10/15/09 3:37 PM) reply + / -
These instructions worked great too, the pics help.

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (11/3/09 6:56 AM) reply + / -
this answer did the trick. a piece of paper was stuck on the area, and by no means was it visible. what a great call

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (11/9/09 12:54 AM) reply + / -
Thanks! Saved my day, you're the Man!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (12/3/09 1:05 AM) reply + / -
I tried the flossing bit with no success - but an excellent hint for future reference.

I then started looking for a stuck sensor. The pre-feed sensor flag was stuck - location is shown in figure 3 in the link below.

Once I could see where it was, I was able to reach in there from the top after removing the toner cartridge. I gave it a little flick with a small screwdriver and it popped back out and now works fine.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (12/29/09 10:20 PM) reply + / -
chucking the manilla bit of paper did it! woohoo!!! cheers

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by silwy2 (4/28/10 11:08 AM) reply + / -
I have a similiar problem with my 4200, it jams everytime i try to print, i remove the full sheet from behind the toner cartridge and it is fine but happens everytime. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by moe (4/28/10 11:11 AM) reply + / -
I'm thinking the fuser latch is broken. To confirm that, open the back door. That simulates a good fuser latch since it pushes the fuser firmly against the drive gear. If it comes out that way, you'll need to replace the latch. We have replacements in stock. Click on my name to email me for info.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by Anonymous (5/5/10 9:37 AM) reply + / -
Hi Guys i really need you help in the same issue i m having i have done everything on the printer like changed the fuser as well as changed the power supply and the DC controller and still its givig me paper jam what is happening is that one the paper is printed its not coming out from the printer and it gets stuck in between the cartrage and the area where its suppose to come out from.

looking forward to hear from you soon.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by moe (5/5/10 10:00 AM) reply + / -
Lower the back door. Does the paper exit OK that way? You're not clear on exactly where the leading edge of the paper stops. Also is the print properly centered on the page?

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by McNEil (3/16/11 9:19 AM) reply + / -
We have this printer; and are getting the paper jam error 13.20. Also, a sheet of paper I was trying to print on has disappeared inside the printer. We have looked in every door and cannot find the paper, anywhere. Where can it possibly be? And how can we get it out?

We have removed the paper trays and examined them. We have looked inside the paper tray areas. We have opened the back door. We have opened the front door. We have opened the top door. No paper is visible in any of those. But the particular sheet I was trying to print on is gone.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by McNEil (3/16/11 9:45 AM) reply + / -
We found it! We removed the toner cartridge and the paper was all crunched up and stuck to the back of it. Removed that, and now the printer works again.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by TChopard (4/12/11 7:15 AM) reply + / -
Nice job on the stock paper trick.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by chimera (5/25/11 6:59 PM) reply + / -
13.20.00 papaer jam in tray 2 on LJ4015dn

manage to find a yotube link.It fixed my problem.
hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5OBrBNa4K4

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by hackhavn (8/8/11 2:56 PM) reply + / -
Thanks a million for all the help this site suggested. I got a HP Laserjet 3550 with same that was donated and had no visible paper. I tried the manila folder trick and it would not push through. Being technically inclined I removed all the toners (4) and looked where the paper should come out from the bottom to the top. I removed three coarse screw and found a huge wade of paper jammed up under the sensor literally a third of paper. Now I have a hp color laser that has only 13000+ pages printed.. what a find. Everyone else just wanted to through it away.

Thanks again....it prints beautiful.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00, 13.06, 13.05) by Ai-Ai (4/4/12 3:54 AM) reply + / -
Please help! My printer starts and print a 100 pages, and when I want to print another 100 he print 3 - 6 pg and give me paper jam errors, 13.06, then right after that 13.20, and then right after that 13.05, then it will printer +/- 3 - 6 pages and then the same errors in the same order shows again. Today he print a 100 pg and show 13.06, I remove the page, and then he show 13.20, I remove the page, but the errors stays. I have tried the thick paper, but know luck! pleas help!

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by peterking (6/26/13 11:37 AM) reply + / -
I experience the dreaded 13.20 error code HP 4300 with no real paper jam. Solution was to take off manual tray and found spring out of place. Restored spring to orginal position. I still had recalls about a month apart spring out of place again. This call was becomming a night mare. We ended up ordering RC1-0060 paper feed sensor flag, RC1-0061 spring and just because RM1-0012 Paper feed. We replace those parts; haven't been called back, YET.

Re: HP LJ 4200 JAM (13.20.00) by idr (5/8/14 2:01 PM) reply + / -
4200, 4300 some-how are prone to weird paper jams under MP tray assembly. Others: 4250s, 4350s are vulnerable as well, though. The culprit turned to be a spring on a paper sensor flag, mounted on Feed Rollers (located behind of the MP Tray assembly). Access it,loose Feed Rollers enough, to flip position of the right end of the spring, on this flag, from going inside of the chassis onto 180 degrees upward, right from the deep cut, it was going into; leave it just on top surface of the paper pass. Now, when flag is activated by passing page, this end of spring will slide by the sharp pin downward, instead: forward, as it is in original version. Sharp pin, moving by sharpness forward, overtime is "filing" for itself a "trap", it getting stock into from time to time. This is, why you have severe paper jams every few hundred pages, depends from your "lock". Have a good one always, from now!

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters