fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by Cal Montag (9/28/04 5:35 PM) reply + / -
Hi All,

Please help with this one. I have a Brother HL-1650 with a red LCD panel indicating SERVICE CALL ERROR E50. Any help here?

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by moe (9/28/04 5:52 PM) reply + / -
I think Brother stole Canon's error codes. If that's the case, a 50 error would be a fuser error. Brother doesn't sell any of it's fusers for less than $150. Can't buy any lamps for them either.

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by zawy (3/5/05 8:11 AM) reply + / -
This is a little late, but....for your info:

I got the error E50 call service message on a brother hl-1650 and this is how i fixed it. There was caked ink and dust on a wire connection that touches the grey roller of the fuser (that has two rollers). It seems this will happen to a lot of the brothers. You just clean the connection. It's simple, but you have to get to it by removing a total of 10 screws, 8 pieces, and 5 wire jacks.

Here is the summary:

Remove top cover, the left side, and 3 plastic pieces in the back to get to the fuser. Then take out the fuser and find the 2 black wires that lead to the problem piece that needs to be cleaned.

Here are the details:

All "left" and "rights" are when facing the front of the printer. Remove the electrical cord from the back of copier by pulling. Remove bottom tray. Remove the smaller tray that comes out the back that has a LTR/A4 lever. Open front of machine to take out toner and drum just to make it lighter. Leave open. Take off top cover (4 screws and two wire jacks to unplug). Remove screw on back right side near bottom. Remove screw on front left near bottom that holds left side cover. Remove screw on back left near bottom (it holds a piece in the back and the side cover). Slightly pull out that back, left plastic piece (it won't come out all the way yet) and wiggle things around to get the left side cover off. That back left piece that didn't come out all the way has a plastic tit holding it in. To be able to press that tit is why the side cover is removed. Press tit and pull the back left piece out while wiggling things around to get the 3 plastic pieces in the back to all come out. This exposes the fuser. Reomove the two wire jack connections. Remove the two screws holding fuser in. One of those screws is big with a spring - don't worry, the spring stays in place. The other screw looks normal, but it is a little longer than the other screws so remember where you lay it. Find the 2 black wires on the fuser leading to the problem piece. Remove the single screw holding it in. Pull it out and clean the wire cnonections. Now put things back together.

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by nobo (3/8/05 7:22 AM) reply + / -
I like your thorough explanation of the fix that worked for you, but I replaced the fuser entirely with a known working one and continued to receive this error. Brother won't release the service codes unless you're an authorized repair facility so essentially I'm stuck.

Could Service Call E50 stand for multiple error conditions?

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by nobo (3/8/05 7:35 AM) reply + / -
I've found that replacing the logic board will fix this error, but I've also found that on some units the logic board is blown out by the fuser... Best case scenario when this error occurs is to replace both logic board AND fuser. Brother MSRP of around $550 for both parts.

Re: Brother Error E50 - check your wall voltage by zawy (3/10/05 1:55 PM) reply + / -
Now that I've had a week to test it, I have to wonder if my cleaning the contact was the fix. But by the way, the logic board being blown out by the fuser could be caused by a crusty contact point if the electronics aren't tough enough to handle an unexpected short or open contact.

Anyway, i got the E50 error again. Taking it apart and checking the contact didn't help. But I'm still glad the crusty contact is clean...it was as bad as a contact can get.

Today it's working again, but i don't know if it's because it cooled down overnight, or if it's because i finally took out my BAD BATTERY BACK-UP power strip that appeared to be playing havoc with my PC and monitor. I didn't figure it out until i started thinking and realized the Printer, PC shutdowns, and monitor problems were more than just bad luck for one day. If the montior had not refused to turn on from not enough voltage, i might still be trying to figure out the weird problems with my PC. First it seemed like the hard drive was overheating and locking up and ice seemed to fix it. Then i noticed BIOS wouldn't even come up with a boot disk so i checked the on-board battery which was good. Luckily the monitor then "died" on me which finally gave me a clue.

So in summary, I suggest anyone getting an E50 error make sure they are getting a good strong voltage. Since the fuser has a HUGE demand for power, it makes since a bad power supply could be the cause. And it makes since the fuser was the first think to "break" on me from lack of power.

So it took me about 10 hours to figure out i should pay attention to the warning lights on a battery back up.

Re: Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by bookmaker (7/31/05 12:20 PM) reply+1 + / -
Here is the simple way to fix error 50. Please bear in mind that the fuser unit has a counter which will automatically generate this error when the fuser has handled approximately 70,000 pages, but this does not necessarily mean the fuser needs to be replaced.
Here goes: Switch the machine on. Wait until the yellow data light goes out. Now hold down the 'GO' button AND the '+' button together four about four seconds. The LCD panel will now display a 'RESET COMPONENT LIFE' message. Use the + and - keys to select the fuser unit, and reset it. Turn the printer off. Turn it on again andit should work. It did for me!
PS. You can reset the drum counter in the same way, and also the toner cartridge counter. Darn sight cheaper than replacement!. Let me know how you get on.
Mike

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by spin2 (7/31/05 1:15 PM) reply + / -
I don't agree. Ok, there is a counter for the fuser. But when the printer has reached its 70.000 pages, than you get the message "replace fuser" and not the error E50. When you get the E50 you cannot print anymore; when you get the message "replace fuser" you can still print.

The first thing to do when you get the error E50, is to turn the printer on and off. And I guess that that did the trick for you.

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by bookmaker (7/31/05 3:32 PM) reply + / -
You are quite right when you say that with a 'replace fuser' message you can still print, but there is a limit, and that limit is determined by the pre-set 'life' of the fuser unit. This is factory-set to 80,000 pages. Turning the printer off and on again will not make the error 50 message go away, and in fact my printer sat idle for a year before another engineer and I tackled it. Test measurement showed the fuser element to be intact, and so my colleague searched the internet before discovering this solution. Unfortunately I did not make any note of where it was found, and right now, I cannot contact him. However, I assure you that this will work, provided of course that the fuser unit is not faulty. You might be interested to know that the line of thought that led to this discovery was prompted by a Brother Service Agent who, when asked over the phone to quote for fitting a new fuser, gave a figure of 93.00, but added - and this is the important bit - that it probably wouldn't actually need any parts... 'just re-setting'. Finding out how to do that took some time, but it did work. It seems that what we have here is a situation in which manufacturers have built error situations into their machines in order to force us to pay them for repairs or service. Similar problems exist with other printers and also, for example, with the latest types of fuel pumps on motor cars. These latter units have chips which 'communicate' with the car's computer when first installed and subsequently refuse to be transferred to any other vehicle. No more 'second-user' parts! You have to fit an original, and naturally, you can only get it from... guess who? Methinks this problem arose before with ink jet cartridges, and consumer protection legislation outlawed the practice, in the UK at any rate. Now we can fit compatibles, chips or no chips. As consumers we need to put pressure on manufacturers - and legislators - to prevent this pernicious practice in the future.

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by Harvey (8/8/05 8:32 AM) reply + / -
Sorry I haven't been accessing this site recently. But I do a lot of brother machines and all the answers are nearly right. First of all, every time I split a Brother fuser (laser printer or laser fax) I always,always,always replace the thermistor (the bit with the 2 black or white wires that rests against the fuser roller). They are quite cheap and I hate stripping down a fuser more than once, if I don,t have to.
If the error 50 is still there after fitting either a thermistor or complete fuser, open the top cover and turn on, then hold down Go and + while shutting the cover. It should then say warming up, then ready.
Thats all there is to it.

Re: Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by Bizdata (9/12/05 10:40 AM) reply + / -
I have a couple of HL-1850s with one showing the alternating and blinking "Service Call" and "Error E50" messages in red on the LED display. I removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the thermistor; then performed the "open top cover, turn on, and hold down Go and + while closing the top cover" sequence. But the Error E50 persists.

Did I perform the correct control panel steps (open top cover, turn on, hold down Go and + while closing top cover) for the HL-1850?

Is there a different sequence applicable to the HL-1850?

Where can I get new thermistors?

THANKS!

Re: Brother HL-6050D Service Call Error E50 by vikas (9/15/05 9:09 AM) reply + / -
As one of the bloggers here described, i just held the "Go" key and switched on the machine and it went into the Go to Test mode. I clicked on the GO button and then machine started up.

It worked!!!!!

Re: Brother HL-1850 Service Call Error E50 by bizdata (9/15/05 4:32 PM) reply + / -
The HL-1850 is obvoiusly different from the HL-1650 and your HL-6050D because just holding the "Go" button and switching on the machine just goes to a "Demo Mode=Off/On" selection on the LED display.

However, taking a cue from vikas' method above, I did have success when I depressed and held the "Go" AND the "Set" buttons simultaneously while switching on the power. When I did that, "Go Test Mode" was in the LED display, and when I depressed "Go" again the printer started up!

To recap:

For the Brother HL-1850/1870N printers, clearing the "Service Call Error E50" in the LED display simply requires depressing the "Go" and "Set" buttons simultaneously while turning on the power. Continue to depress the "Go" and "Set" buttons until the LED display shows "Go Test Mode". Release the "Go" and "Set" buttons, the depress the only "Go" button again and the printer will start normally.

THANKS "vikas"!

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by aimerz (4/7/06 1:18 PM) reply + / -
Does anyone know how to go about getting a dirty thermistor cleaned or replaced? I am told that my Brother HL-1850 runs hot because of a broken/dirty thermistor, and this causes the ink to run when I print laser checks on the computer. The local service center will charge $95-125 labor but can't tell me how much the part will be.

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by acazorla (4/10/06 8:27 AM) reply + / -
Thanks a lot, to bookmaker for the GO plus + system that is a way to spend less money in expensive Brother pieces that are absolutely in good status.

I have tried in a HL-1850 with drumm message, Kit 1 message and Fuser Unit message and now my printer works perfectly without any message.

Where did you find this information, I have a lot of brother printers from 1250, 1450. 1650, 1850, 5050, 6050, 5250, 5240 , series and I have a terrible spent of money. Specially I am very interesting in counter reseting of printers HL-5050 and 6050 series, and the 52xx series that have no display.

If some body knows how to make longer life for my printer parts, make me know it please.

Regards
Alexis Cazorla
Canary Islands.

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by zakatak (5/29/06 8:34 AM) reply + / -
We have a hl-2460 and the go plus + sign worked perfectly.

Thanks a lot!

Re: Re: Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by Anonymous (6/7/06 6:35 AM) reply + / -
A BIG thank you Bookmaker, this has stopped the E50 Error on my HL-1670N. I thought it was going to cost a call-out charge.

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by madmatg (6/26/06 1:24 PM) reply + / -
hi i'm having a problem like this with my 1670N printer. i tried the go and + buttons and they worked but an hour later the E50 came back up and now the go and + no longer works. any help?

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by Gordon Stewart (7/13/06 12:05 PM) reply + / -
I had a problem with a brother HL6050dn and the E50 error. Sure enough the fuser was the issue but I have replaced fusers in many brother, hp printers. I have never had to go and reset the printer. the
"while turning on the power. Continue to depress the "Go" and "Set" buttons until the LED display shows "Go Test Mode". Release the "Go" and "Set" buttons, the depress the only "Go" button again"
solution saved me from sending the printer away with a new fuser in it.
Thank you

Re: Re: Brother HL-1850 Service Call Error E50 by Anonymous (9/5/06 12:03 AM) reply + / -
Hello Vikas,
Thanks for your advice. We had a similar problem on our HL-1850 after the printer encountered power surges/fluctuation, it displays E50 error. After following your procedures, the printer is working just fine. It only give some additional information and instructions, that we need "to change the drum soon".
This site is very useful.

Eric

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by Tracey Ring (10/30/06 12:56 AM) reply + / -
Hi
We have a brother HL-7050N and this morning we've switched it on and got the message error E50 Service call. Its continuously flashing and pressing go and + does nothing. The data light isn't even coming on, it just goes red with this error message as soon as the printer is turned on.
Does this mean a new fuser unit?

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by spin2 (10/30/06 10:01 AM) reply + / -
@Tracey Ring

Did you try the suggestions above? The answer to your question is already given.

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by Gav (2/22/07 4:22 AM) reply + / -
Hi guys!

What i did with the error 50 problem is, first turned off the printer, pulled out the drum and gave it a wipe and blew inside. Turned on the printer and placed the drum back in and it worked.

Dunno if this will help, bookmark is right bout them setting errors. just try fixing before ring.

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by vsunshine (3/4/07 10:02 AM) reply + / -
Had to use a "blend" of two suggestions above - first, couldn't get past the error message by holding down the GO and + buttons as suggested above - but used the following to get a green status - then used the next remedy copied herein to reset all component lives. It works - so far...

Re: Brother HL-1850 Service Call Error E50 by bizdata (9/15/05 4:32 PM) reply + / -
The HL-1850 is obvoiusly different from the HL-1650 and your HL-6050D because just holding the "Go" button and switching on the machine just goes to a "Demo Mode=Off/On" selection on the LED display.

However, taking a cue from vikas' method above, I did have success when I depressed and held the "Go" AND the "Set" buttons simultaneously while switching on the power. When I did that, "Go Test Mode" was in the LED display, and when I depressed "Go" again the printer started up!

To recap:

For the Brother HL-1850/1870N printers, clearing the "Service Call Error E50" in the LED display simply requires depressing the "Go" and "Set" buttons simultaneously while turning on the power. Continue to depress the "Go" and "Set" buttons until the LED display shows "Go Test Mode". Release the "Go" and "Set" buttons, the depress the only "Go" button again and the printer will start normally.

THANKS "vikas"!

Re: Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by bookmaker (7/31/05 12:20 PM) reply +1 + / -
Here is the simple way to fix error 50. Please bear in mind that the fuser unit has a counter which will automatically generate this error when the fuser has handled approximately 70,000 pages, but this does not necessarily mean the fuser needs to be replaced.
Here goes: Switch the machine on. Wait until the yellow data light goes out. Now hold down the 'GO' button AND the '+' button together four about four seconds. The LCD panel will now display a 'RESET COMPONENT LIFE' message. Use the + and - keys to select the fuser unit, and reset it. Turn the printer off. Turn it on again andit should work. It did for me!
PS. You can reset the drum counter in the same way, and also the toner cartridge counter. Darn sight cheaper than replacement!. Let me know how you get on.
Mike

Re: Brother HL-1850 Service Call Error E50 by Anonymous (3/29/07 3:53 PM) reply + / -
GRACIAS VIKAS.

DESDE LA CIUDAD DE TUXTEPEC, OAXACA. EN MEXICO TE DOY LAS GRACIAS, TU INFORMACION ES MUY VALIOZA, ME AYUDO A REACTIVAR MI IMPRESORA HL-1850 SIN TENER QUE LLEVARLA AL CENTRO DE REPARACION.

THANKS "vikas"!

Re: Re: Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by Anonymous (4/12/07 5:07 PM) reply + / -
thanks! that did work! the printer at my job was giving the same error and our IT dept hasnt come over to check on it yet. lol.

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by zawy (4/13/07 2:42 PM) reply + / -
I'm glad i selected 'notify me if someone responds' to this thread. 2 years ago I finally threw away my brother HL-1650 because i couldn't get the E50 message to go away. My posts at the beginning of this thread indicate my E50 was coming up intermittently and finally was permanent, so it seems strange if my case was a 'counter' thing.

Looks like people here finally found the cause: unethical if not illegal behavior on the part of brother. The only good reason to have an internal counter would be if it's likely to cause a fire if the fuser starts failing.

At least now i have a better clue if any of my 5170 or 5040 printers display the E50.

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by cgjrk (6/8/07 8:18 AM) reply + / -
IT Works!!!!!!!!!!!!! E50 code. While turning the printer on, hold down the "go" and "set" buttons until you read "go test mode" then let go of those button and press "go" only. Printer should read "ready". Thanks so much for the advice!

Re: Brother HL-2460 Service Call Error E50 by tellez (4/18/08 10:28 AM) reply + / -
i have a brother HL-2460 with an error E50 I replaced the fuser unit
and i still having the same error can you please help me

Re: Brother HL-2460 Service Call Error E50 by Reptec (4/18/08 10:53 AM) reply + / -
After the fixing unit was replaced, Turn on the printer, then count blinking message 10 times, and then press “Job Cancel” key immediately after 10th message of “ERROR E50” appeared.

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by hysen (6/20/08 5:16 AM) reply + / -
i have one brother hl-8050n and i have error code c50 can you help me how to reset .

regards
hysen

Re: Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by Anonymous (6/28/08 1:08 PM) reply + / -
worked for me too! thank you!

Re: Brother HL-1670n Service Call Error E50 by Grant lambert (7/17/08 6:38 AM) reply + / -
I have tried all the comands with the power swithch and the GO and + at the same time. Opening the front before and durring the flip of the switch. Now it says "Start Dram Test", the data light quickly flashes 15 times and then nothing. Four seconds later it starts the flashing again. I have tried opening and closing the front while this is happening and pressing various buttons in various combinations, but it still keeps testing. If I turn it off and on again, I get the E50 service call error again. HELP!!!

Brother HL-1870 Reset Component Life? by Anonymous (10/23/08 2:22 AM) reply + / -
which code should I use to 'RESET COMPONENT LIFE' on the HL-1870?
If I depressed and held the "Go" AND the "+" buttons simultaneously while switching on the power, on the LCD panel will now display a 'dram check mode'... Thanks so much for the advice!

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by nivek (10/23/08 5:51 AM) reply + / -
well Ive never had to do it on this model but the service manual says turn on machine then press go and + so my guess is you need to wait a minute let it do its thing then hold them down. I also did notice that the drum life reset is press the go button while the front door is open. that might save another question

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by Anonymous (11/12/08 6:45 AM) reply + / -
how to clear replace fuser message on brother dcp 8060

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by nivek (11/12/08 9:36 AM) reply + / -
Alright first Enter Maintenance Mode. Press "Menu,*,2,8,6,4".The display will read "Maintenance" if done right. Next, Press "8,8" The display should show "Parts Replacement" Using the arrows scoll to "reset fuser" press enter and then to exit Maintenance Mode press "9,9"

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by liseexxx (1/22/09 10:00 PM) reply+1 + / -
I have an error 50 message. But my Brothers is MFC 845CW.
I dont have a GO button, What do I push on mine to clear the error message

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by Grant Lambert (1/23/09 5:14 AM) reply + / -
I threw it away. I did find out later that you have to reset cartridges when you fill them. I think this would have fixed it. It did fix my 2120 buy only after I had thrown out a brother fax as well. Brother upsets me for doing this but all the printer companies do something a little shady to get you to by more toner or a new unit. I sent two good units to the dump because of this practice. Way to go brother!

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by Anonymous (1/24/09 1:53 PM) reply + / -
so at the end of the day.. the Error E50 is really just a small fuser and unless you take it apart. ? can it be fixed or do i junk the printer... please let me know..

is reparing the printer a cost effective deal..

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by nivek (1/24/09 5:59 PM) reply + / -
Dear confused the fuser is what bonds the toner to the paper using heat and pressure to chemically bond the two I think you are confusing this with a fuse. If you have read this post it tells you how to reset the fuser code. If this did not fix your problem then you will probably need a new fuser and then its up to you to decide if its worth fixing or not. Brother shows the part for around 75 but they are currently out of stock.

Be warned that the Fixing unit reset must be performed when the fixing unit is cold and in working condition or it will melt the heated roller to the pressure roller of the fixing assembly. With the power on and the error E50 on the LCD hold the GO and SET switches down together until the backlight on the LCD changes from red to green in color then turn off the power. Turn the printer back on and the error will be gone.

That was straight from a service note on resetting the fuser if that helps.

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by Anonymous (1/31/09 5:25 PM) reply + / -
To recap:

This one worked on my HL-1850.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Geoff

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by tkanauros (3/24/09 9:25 AM) reply + / -
I have a Brother HL-1870n which is telling me that i need a new fuser. Do i? or can i just reset the fuser, if so how? Thanks

Re: Re: Brother HL-6050D Service Call Error E50 by Anonymous (4/2/09 1:24 AM) reply + / -
i tried with this its not responding , if i switch on the printer it will give error e 50 message ,is there any body to help me out

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by nivek (4/2/09 12:15 PM) reply + / -
Read the thread and do what it says to reset the error if that fails then you have a fuser problem and you need to check the thermistor and lamp or replace the whole fuser unit.

i tried with this its not responding , Doesnt make sense?

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by jones13jess (4/2/10 1:13 PM) reply + / -
I have a Brother HL-5240, this printer has no display screen and only a go button and cancel job button. I have just replaced the fuser with a working one, but it still displays the fuser unit failure code. I have clean the contacts on the fuser bar as well. How can I reset the fuser count for this printer.

Re: Re: Brother HL-1850 Service Call Error E50 by Brother Gal (12/17/10 7:09 AM) reply + / -
The Go/Set at power up and Go at "Go Test Mode" display worked for me! Thanks a million!

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 by bett calif (5/4/11 11:35 AM) reply + / -
my printer display service call SC544

Re: Brother HL-1650 Service Call Error E50 - AIR! by philanyware (5/6/13 10:29 PM) reply + / -
For my HL-1650 I tried the Go + method and it looked like it was working but then the error came up again.

I found a service manual online that said to press the Go & Set buttons together after powering on, wait till the back light turns green and then power off again.
This also looked like it was working but did not.

Finally I got out the pump for my air mattress, put a fine nozzle on it, removed the paper trays and blasted jets of high pressure air at the underside of the printer.
And it worked this time!
Why take the printer apart for cleaning when you can air blast it??

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters