fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

hp laserjet 5L

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

hp laserjet 5L by steve (4/23/04 3:22 PM) reply + / -
I have a hp laserjet 5L that does not feed paper. Any ideas on what to do and where to begin to correct the problem without taking it to a repair shop.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by Mike B (4/23/04 4:25 PM) reply + / -
Steve

I do not work for this site. However Moe has the kit you need to repair and instructions. Go to main page this site. Click on printer repair kits. Click on Hewlett Packard, select 5L, on problem click on Multiple -sheet feed. For $29.95 you get the kit to repair your machine and instructions.

Always replace all the feed parts when fixing your problem. All parts are included in the kit.

Hope this Helps and good luck

Re: hp laserjet 5L by erichard (3/23/05 8:15 AM) reply + / -
I purchased the kit referred to by MikeB and it addressed one part of the problem. Another side is that after the paper feeds to the extent that the pick up roller can send it, it seems to be waiting for something else to carry it the rest of the way. This does not happen and an error is returned. Could it be a defective toner cartridge?

Re: hp laserjet 5L by dmzcompute (3/23/05 9:02 AM) reply + / -
You need to recheck the installation. One of the more common issued is the black handles on each side of the pickup roller need to be locked into the frame at the top. If they move back and forth you will have this problem.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L by erichard (3/23/05 9:40 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for your input, dmzcompute, I rechecked the handles as you suggested but the paper still only travels about 1-5/8" before it stops and returns the error light. This seems to be a troublesome printer but I am patient and will try to work it out for awhile.
I'll welcome any further ideas.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by moe (3/23/05 11:33 AM) reply + / -
What you have to do is observe the operation and maybe you can see what went wrong in the installation. The paper pusher plate starts in the rear position. When the print job starts, the cams rotate and allow the plate to push the paper against the pickup roller which rotates one and only one revolution. The cams then push the plate back to its stop. The one revolution feeds it to the transfer roller/toner drum where they take over the feed process. You can watch all of this by looking down the paper. A flashlight helps. If any of it isn't happening or happens out of sequence, you put it together wrong.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L by erichard (3/24/05 3:21 PM) reply + / -
I have reviewed the tape a number of times just to be sure that I did not miss anything.
The sequences as you described are happening except that the paper stops just short of the toner pick up roller (approx 1/16th inch away).
Is it possible that there may be some other problem that is involved with whatever else happens after the initial paper movement?

Re: hp laserjet 5L by dmzcompute (3/24/05 3:26 PM) reply + / -
I know you do not want to hear this, but you may have to disassemble the printer again and go thru the motions of replacing the pads. I think the kit comes with the sub pads and if so if they are not locked in correctly you will have feed problems. Best to do it again, because you may have missed something and are still missing it by not actually doing it again.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by erichard (3/24/05 3:59 PM) reply + / -
Thanks, I will ... again. I will keep posting.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by Anonymous (4/30/05 9:09 AM) reply + / -
I have paper stock inside the printer. Can't take it out.HELP

Re: hp laserjet 5L by moe (4/30/05 10:07 AM) reply + / -
Since you don't tell us where, it's stuck and I'm going to assume it's a 5L since this is a 5L thread, it's probably in the fuser assembly. There is a green lever over on the left side. Flip the lever, and grab whichever end of the paper is accessible. Carefully turn the roller shaft above the fuser with your fingers (DO NOT FORCE IT) at the same time pull on the paper. If it's a stack of paper that caused the jam, you'll need to order the repair kit from this site so it doesn't happen again.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by F.Paul (12/16/05 2:25 AM) reply + / -
Hi. I have an HP LJ 5L that is grabbing several sheets of paper at once. It does not jam; it pulls the whole batch through the printer, maybe 6 pages at one clip! The first page prints fine.
Any ideas? Should I take the thing apart and clean rollers, etc.? If so, anything special about removing covers? Thanks

Re: hp laserjet 5L by hpwizard (12/16/05 2:35 AM) reply + / -
Go to:

http://fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K30

Dazz UK

Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L by Anonymous (12/16/05 2:52 AM) reply + / -
F. Paul Here. Thank you for the response. I'm ordering the kit.

Please, one more question:

When duplexing on this printer (Running the same page reversed), I get a black ink smear on the leading edge of the second side. Is there anything I can do while I'm installing the other kit?
Thanks.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by ddtolbert (12/18/05 11:00 AM) reply + / -
Hi I just inherited this HP laserjet 5L printer. It will print fine and then all of a sudden the yellow light comes on and it will not feed or print. Also how do you tell if you need a new cartridge? It came with no instructions. Thanks for any help yoou can give me. Deborah

Re: hp laserjet 5L by hpwizard (12/18/05 1:22 PM) reply + / -
The yellow light comes on if there is A)No paper B)No cartridge C)Paper jam or D)The cover is open.
If you still have paper present then I would go for the paper detect switch after the heater section being the culprit!
Hope this helps?!
Dazz UK

Re: hp laserjet 5L by hpwizard (12/19/05 3:02 PM) reply + / -
F. Paul,
If the smear is not there on the first side print, (ie. on the back) It is picking it up because the paper is probably curled when going through the 2nd time. You can take the cartridge out and clean out any spilled toner from the paper path floor but if it ain't there on the back of a single sided copy, it is probably because of the curved paper. Try using the straight out the front option when doing double sided.
Hope this enlightens?!
Dazz UK
Merry Christmas!

hp laserjet 5L: paper stuck under heater by JohnK (2/14/06 9:40 AM) reply + / -
Some fragments of torn paper are stuck under the heater. How can I get into the narrow space to get them out? There doesn't appear to be a way to lift up the heater.
John.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by moe (2/14/06 10:07 AM) reply + / -
The only way is to take the cover off the printer and disassemble the fuser inside the printer. Do not try to use metal tools to fish the paper scraps out. You will damage the film.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by JohnK (2/14/06 11:12 AM) reply + / -
Thanks, but how to remove the plastic cover? There are a few screws, but the plastic doesn't lift off when they are removed.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L by Anonymous (2/14/06 2:42 PM) reply + / -
Hi.
I installed the roller kit because of multiple feed problems. Now, if you have more than 12-15 or so (never counted) pages in the printer bin for feeding, the paper will not feed SOMETIMES although the printer goes through its cycle. Then yellow light come on. Reducing the amount of paper in the bin helps, as does dropping the paper into the holder from a few inches above it, rather than just softly setting the paper in the bin.

Then, after the paper does begin to feed, it might feed crooked.

Any ideas?

BTW, my earlier problem of smearing the duplex page has gone away since installing the kit.

Thanks for all the responses.

F. Paul

Re: Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L by Anonymous (2/14/06 3:50 PM) reply + / -
Two things to check. One, make sure the 2 small pads are flush. Some people have neglected to snap them down in place. Two, take the cartridge out, reach in and tug on the 2 white roller support arms and make sure they are locked in place.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by dmzcompute (2/14/06 3:57 PM) reply + / -
It will not lift off. You have to remove the plastic cover on the side where you would put a memory card. Remove 3 screw from the rear cover and then pull hard on the rear cover near where the power cable goes and the back cover will come off. Next remove the two screws on top and then you can release one end in front and one end in the rear and the cover will lift off. In order to take off the cover over the fuser you will have to remove the black plastic piece on the right side by pressing in on the tab from the out side and sliding the small piece off. You then remove the two screws in the rear of the over and lift it off.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by Anonymous (2/17/06 12:10 PM) reply + / -
Thanks dmzcompute for your instructions. I did the dissection, removed the paper and put the thing back together in about 15 minutes, and it even works! The cause of the jam was changing the paper-directing switch from "down" to "up" while printing. That's definitely something not to do again. JohnK

Re: hp laserjet 5L by F. Paul (3/1/06 6:18 PM) reply + / -
You folks have helped me before and hope you can do it once more. I really appreciate it.

I have replaced the feeder kit in my HP5L. That was a while back.
The big problem now is that my front feeder (the one that I use for single envelopes) does not feed at all.

The light on the front of the printer blinks as usual, waiting for me to insert an envelope, and I do, but when I hit the button, the machine grabs a sheet of paper from the vertical stack in the rear. Is something out of place?

What can I do to fix it? Thanks.

F. Paul

Re: hp laserjet 5L by dmzcompute (3/1/06 7:01 PM) reply + / -
They share the same feeding area. What happens if you remove the paper from the back feeder.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L by Anonymous (3/2/06 12:11 PM) reply + / -
Hi, thanks.

Removing the paper from the back feeder brings on the yellow light.

F. Paul

Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L front feed by Anonymous (3/2/06 12:38 PM) reply + / -
OK,
The front feed will work but I have to really
cram the envelope in because there are two narrow black parts
poking through the feed channel from the front and they are making for a very tight fit. The envelope (or paper) has a tendency to hang up on these two parts.

Can these be latches that are out of position or something?

F. Paul

Re: hp laserjet 5L by dmzcompute (3/2/06 12:59 PM) reply + / -
It is possible. What you want to do is remove the toner cartridge and look at the black mylar along the edge. Your channel shares that black mylar. It you can not correct it then you will have disassemble the printer to get to that feeding piece and reset it back into the printer.

Re: Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L by v (3/12/06 7:29 PM) reply + / -
Hi, I know it is somehow late, (year),
but I wander if you solved this problem.
My 5L JUST started to do this same thing.
Thank you.
v

Re: hp laserjet 5L by mohd.redzuan (3/27/06 10:20 PM) reply + / -
I purchased extra memory but there was no installation guide that came along with it.

I need help installing this. It will be very helpful if somebody can give link with pictures or a detail step by step process.

Also the problem that I have with the printer(sometimes) is that it'll print 3/4 of a page on one sheet of paper and then print the rest on a new piece of paper at the very bottom.

Can somebody tell me if installing more memory solves the problem and where exactly is the slot?

Re: hp laserjet 5L by msymons (3/27/06 10:38 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem as erichard. I replaced the pick up pad, sub pads, and roller, all installed correctly. Now the printer picks up just one sheet, fine, but only feeds it about 1 1/2 inches then stops. If I pull the sheet out and repeat, I get the same result. Is it possible the printer lost track of where the sheet is during all the jamming, rebuilding, etc.? Does it need to be reset somehow to initialize it to the correct start/feed point?

Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L by dmzcompute (3/28/06 5:30 AM) reply + / -
Make sure the black arms on each side of the pickup roller are locked into the top frame and do not move.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by nmh (11/26/06 12:30 PM) reply + / -
Thought I'd add to the thread although it has been some time since anyone has made entry.

Nice to see the ole 5L hanging in there for many folks. It's been a workhorse for me at home. I just hate to give up on mine, but I may be close.

The last time I had a paper feed problem, I purchased the roller/pad kit and "bingo" I was up and running.

This time when the paper feed problem started, I thought maybe I could purchase the kit one more time. (Milk some more life out of this old printer)

Unfortunately, after putting it all back together, it acts the same. Paper feeds about 1/2 to 1 inch and stops as if the printer is sensing a jam but the paper is straight and everything looks fine. It just stops. Never gets to the toner roller.

When resetting after a "jam" the roller bar positions as it should getting ready for the next feed.

I'm wondering if there is another part that can wear out over time/usage that may be user replaceable.

Any HP experts know if I'm at the end of the road on this? Any further tips/guesses?

--Norm in Texas

Re: hp laserjet 5L by dmzcompute (11/26/06 3:18 PM) reply + / -
If it was happening before you replaced the roller and pads, then I would lean towards the sensor array below the body and above the electronics board. It has been a long time, but from what I remember there are two sensors in the array (one for the paper out and other for the movement notification). It is not easy to get to the array and I do recall one time having one where one of the sensors went bad which is very very rare. One trick you can try is to remove as many of the connections from the main board and reattach them. Look for purple wire since I think that is the color of the wires coming from the sensor array. If it was not happening or the error was different before the replacments, I would recheck the position of the main roller and also check to make sure the black handles on either side of the roller of snapped into the frame above.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by Anonymous (11/26/06 3:37 PM) reply + / -
You really shouldn't mess with those connectors. They aren't touched during the replacement procedure and removing them can damage the board if not done carefully. Are there any lights coming on when it jams? People neglect to mention that and if all the lights come on, that indicates a hard failure like the fuser or the laser.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by dmzcompute (11/26/06 4:06 PM) reply + / -
Anonymous,

The connectors which I referred were only if the problem existed before the pad and roller replacement. You need to read the post more carefully. Also removing and reinserting those connectors will not do any damage to the board as it it an old hp tech trick on many printers and has worked many times for myself and other techs.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by Anonymous (3/26/07 11:34 AM) reply + / -
Hi everyone,

I've just inherited an 5L and some problem with it also... It feeds the paper well, but prints the document shifted. To see what I mean: the first line is about 3 cms from the very top of the page and the last one is cut (or in a better case it is halved) and is printed on the very edge of the paper.

I use XP and searched for a compatible driver, the latest version I found was the one created for Win ME. Also tried to use the plug and play method of XP but nothing changed. So I threw the idea that it was a driver based problem.

Do anyone have an idea what should I do?

Re: Re: Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L by Anonymous (3/26/07 12:58 PM) reply + / -
I have corrected the propblem with the front feed and having to cram an envelope.

It appeared that one of the clips holding everything in place was loose. It's been quite a while now, but I seem to remember having to reposition them. Did not have to disassemble the printer.

F. Paul

Re: hp laserjet 5L by keesan (5/31/07 12:24 PM) reply + / -
We were given two 'broken' 5Ls, one of which 'had a fuser problem'. One was in pieces, some missing, and one was entire but did not light up when plugged in. Working on the entire one (that did not light) we replaced the scorched-looking power supply with blown fuse (using the one from the parts printer) and the error lights indicated bad fuser (it was very bad, covered with melted toner) so replaced the fuser assembly (using the parts machine assembly).
We were not told what was wrong with the parts machine. The 'fixed' one now powers on and acts normally until during a test print it clicks, whirs very briefly (while moving the paper against the roller?) and then completely stops. Unplugging and replugging causes it to feed a blank page. So the feed roller is okay. Did we plug in something wrong, or is there a third problem with this printer that might have been caused by the power supply going bad? Some sensor?
We fixed another 5L by cleaning the feed roller, and that one acted differently before fixing and would sometimes feed paper if you pushed on the stack.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by keesan (5/31/07 12:27 PM) reply + / -
We were given two 'broken' 5Ls, one of which 'had a fuser problem'. One was in pieces, some missing, and one was entire but did not light up when plugged in. Working on the entire one (that did not light) we replaced the scorched-looking power supply with blown fuse (using the one from the parts printer) and the error lights indicated bad fuser (it was very bad, covered with melted toner) so replaced the fuser assembly (using the parts machine assembly).
We were not told what was wrong with the parts machine. The 'fixed' one now powers on and acts normally until during a test print it clicks, whirs very briefly (while moving the paper against the roller?) and then completely stops. Unplugging and replugging causes it to feed a blank page. So the feed roller is okay. Did we plug in something wrong, or is there a third problem with this printer that might have been caused by the power supply going bad? Some sensor?
We fixed another 5L by cleaning the feed roller, and that one acted differently before fixing and would sometimes feed paper if you pushed on the stack.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by Bunny Marr (8/4/07 11:07 AM) reply + / -
I resurrected my old printer because I could not stand the Lexmark that I replaced it with.

It printed well the first couple of times, but now it will not move the paper. The computer says it is out of paper. Please help me. Im a female, who is not at all mechanically inclined and I must have thrown out my instruction catalog.

The middle light is on and the bottom light blinks. In addition, I don't even know how to turn the printer off. I can't find a button.

Thanks for any help to resolve my problem

Re: hp laserjet 5L by moe (8/4/07 11:49 AM) reply + / -
You can stop looking for the on/off switch, there isn't any. Let's start at the basics. Disconnect it from the computer. Remove the paper, remove the toner cartridge. Look inside and see if there is any paper visible. Also look inside the box (fuser assembly) at the front where the paper comes out. See if there is any paper or scraps of paper inside it. If there are, do not use any metal tools in an attempt to remove it. Come back her for advice. Now look down where the paper was. Are there any foreign objects in the paper holding area? Turn the printer upside down and shake it. I did that once with a 5L that was left at a curb and some jigsaw puzzle pieces fell out. Printer worked fine after that. After all that is done, put the cartridge and paper back in. Power it up. Does the On Line/Ready light come on? If it does, then push the blue button. Does it print a test page. If you want any further help, perform all the tasks above and answer all the questions I asked. Remember, I can't see the printer and am relying on your feedback.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by wploof (8/4/07 7:04 PM) reply + / -
I bought the repair parts package for the 5L and with the help of the video was able to do exactly as was instructed to replace some parts and put it back together. It no longer seems to have a problem picking up the paper but it feeds the paper in about 3 inches, makes a crunching sound on the paper but the paper no longer feeds, tries to print but ends up just making a black smudge on 1/4 inch of the paper, and stops.
I got it to print about 6 pages in the middle of all these problems but the problems are the same again. It's a seemingly random.
Does anyone know what might be a fix?
I'll take it apart one more time but everything snapped into place and was in the correct orientation according to the video.
-Will

Re: hp laserjet 5L by moe (8/5/07 10:51 AM) reply + / -
You need to observe the pickup roller when the problem is happening. The pickup roller should only make one revolution. If it turns more than one time, it can cause the problems you are experiencing. If that's the case, then report back and I can give you further help.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L by Anonymous (8/18/07 10:29 AM) reply + / -
What does the paper detect switch look like and where is it located. Also, are replacement switches available?

Re: Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L by moe (8/18/07 1:41 PM) reply + / -
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/guides/sensors/ax
They never go bad. It's the paper sensor arms that break or get stuck.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by JenniferR (11/2/07 10:56 AM) reply + / -
THANKS for this helpful site. My old faithful 5L was suffering from yellow light syndrome. I had long ago installed the feed kit, so was pretty sure that wasn't the problem. There was no visible scrap of jammed paper anywhere. Finally I tried the "turn it upside down and shake it" tip - and it worked! (I added "give it a couple of whacks on the bottom" to the process for good measure.)
Just fyi for anyone who tries this - it does dislodge a fair amount of toner from inside the printer, even if you remove the cartridge first. THANKS again.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by DWeste (11/3/07 8:28 AM) reply + / -
I was able to clear the paper jam (caused by changing the paper-directing switch from down to up while printing) using dmzcompute's directions. The printer responds to a print command and the paper travels through the printer effortlessly but comes out without anything printed on it. Thoughts? DW

Re: hp laserjet 5L by Animalphoto (12/27/07 4:41 PM) reply + / -
The 5L has begun to print a multitude of pages only with a few or no lines of odd characters. It will not stop, even after unplugging unit, and disconnecting cable. There are no print job in the queue. It seems to print even when there is no connction to the computer. Does it have some sort of memory or just stuck and have a reset somwhere? Help, please.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by babyrose (1/9/08 4:56 AM) reply + / -
while i'm printing the paper was stOp and stock inside the printer and it sounds na parang maynapunit.... an u please help me how to fix that problem??
do i need to remove the cartridge tO get the pAper oUt??
help me please cause i don't no anything bout that...
tNx....

Re: hp laserjet 5L by animalphoto (1/9/08 5:22 AM) reply + / -
Yes, you may need to romove the cartridge to access the jammed paper. When removing the paper, be careful that you do not tear it and leave pieces in the machine. When the paper has been completely removed, replace the cartridge and that should solve your problem.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by sindi (1/9/08 10:37 AM) reply + / -
After I ordered four sets of 5L/6L pads (cheaper
without the rollers and instructional video) for 2 5L,
1 6L, and one 1100, we discovered that the
1100 takes DIFFERENT pads. My partner cut up a bicycle
inner tube and used contact cement to replace the
hardened black rubber parts of the main and two subpads
and the printer is working again. Don't know how long
this fix will last. On some of our printers the
subpads were okay but the main pad was always bad.
What do the subpads do? We used rubber rejuvenator on
the rollers.
Found another two 1100's in a dumpster and will supply
our friends. Great printers once you get them working
again (thanks to this forum and a great company).

Re: hp laserjet 5L grating noise when print start by Wolfe98 (1/19/08 10:11 AM) reply + / -
I a getting a grating or scraping noise when my printer is turned on and when it starts to feed the paper to print. It prints the whole page black.

I replaced the cartridge and so I guess it isn't the cartridge
Help please

Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L by Anonymous (2/27/08 7:20 AM) reply + / -
Hi Mohd, I have the same problem as you...Did you ever get any answers....THANKS John

HP Laserjet 5L by Nancysmyowner (4/20/08 12:53 PM) reply + / -
Okay, my problem is different from most of what I see. When printing PDFs, sometimes part of the page comes out with only half the pixels printing (i.e., fuzzy) and the other part perfectly clear. Also with PDFs, sometimes (along with the blurriness problem), part of the lower portion of the page will not print at all. It does, then, print all by itself as a second page. Therefore, I end up looking at the page after it's printed to see if everything seems to be there and, if not, feeding the same piece of paper back through the printer to overlay the missing stuff. This is pretty weird.

If I didn't also have a feeding problem that I solved by hand feeding paper one sheet at a time (yes, I see I should probably buy the repair kit that's mentioned a few times above), I'd be even more annoyed!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Nancy

Re: hp laserjet 5L by moe (4/20/08 1:28 PM) reply + / -
PDFs take a lot of memory, which that printer doesn't have much of. You can install an expansion memory card in the slot at the bottom of the printer. If there isn't enough memory to print a page, then it is continued on the second page. We also have a kit that addresses the blurry/faded print problem. In that case, your large bold characters would be blurry and small text would be faded. Not being able to see your particular problem, I don't know if that kit would be suitable or not. The only other thing that could possibly cause print quality problems would be the toner cartridge.

Re: THIS THREAD AND MORE hp laserjet 5L by F.Paul (4/20/08 1:53 PM) reply + / -
About a year ago or so I posted for information about repairing my HPLJ 5L. You folks were good, I repaired it.

Unfortunately, I checked the "notify me if someone responds" box and I have been getting emails about most every subject. Just got 6 emails today!

How do I undo this monster and tell the fixyourprinter people that I do NOT want to be notified now???

HELP!

F.Paul

Re: hp laserjet 5L by F.Paul (4/20/08 1:57 PM) reply + / -
Oh, Yes...

I have been "unsubscribing" from the thread, several times but to no avail. The emails stop for a while and then come back later when someone else makes a post.

F.Paul

Re: HP Laserjet 5L by dmzcompute (4/20/08 6:01 PM) reply + / -
Here is something to try. Go into the properties of the print driver by right clicking on the printer in printer and faxes and then scrolling down to properties and left click. No go to advanced and then click on printing defaults and then click on advanced link at lower right. Now change the print quality from 600x600 to 300x300 and see if that helps.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L by nancysmyowner (4/21/08 3:55 PM) reply + / -
Thanks, Moe. Having insufficient printer memory makes sense. I'm guessing it would address both problems because what I called "blurry" isn't really blurry as far as the toner cartridge goes - it's very crisp. What seems to happen is that only every other pixel is printing on part of the page, always in the top half and - I'll pay more attention now - it may only happen concurrently with the 2-page problem. I'll try increasing memory and will see if that fixes both problems.

Re: Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L by moe (4/21/08 4:04 PM) reply + / -
Or, if you're not printing graphics, you can try dmz's suggestion to reduce the dpi to 300X300. That will effectively quadruple your memory. Try that before ordering a memory card. It takes a special card that only goes into the 5L/6L printers.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by pspedden (6/9/08 7:29 PM) reply + / -
I successfully followed the video & replaced the multiple feed parts. Now, multiple sheets do feed, but the pages all print crooked. How can I fix this problem?

psp

Re: hp laserjet 5L by Rizon (6/9/08 9:00 PM) reply + / -
When you say "multiple sheets do feed", do you mean they do NOT feed?

Also, for the multiple sheets printing crooked, are the paper guards tight against the paper, and is all paper lined up the same? My 5L has a tendency for the paper to "spread out" and the paper in the front be a little to the right/left of the paper behind it. Aligning it all right and positioning the guards fixes it for me.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by moe (6/9/08 10:00 PM) reply + / -
You did one of 2 things wrong. You either didn't latch the tops of the pickup roller support arms or you didn't get one of the 2 sub pads latched down all the way.

Re: hp laserjet 5L first half prints fuzzy by saltidae (1/4/09 5:30 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Moe!!

I dropped the resolution on my print job down to 300 X 300 and the page printed just the way it's supposed to. This has been a recurring problem with some documents that I usually resolved by reverting to bare text and starting a new document. This time that wasn't possible as I had a few graphics in the document ( a ms word calendar)

How Do You Know Toner is Out? by dougt (3/6/09 7:51 PM) reply + / -
I just dusted off an old HP 5L that has been stored for about 5 years. Got tired of buying ink cartridges for my new Cannon. Anyways, thing fired right up, but the color is a little light compared to ink jet Cannon? The test page prints out fine, but I am wondering if the toner is low or out of date? I've never replaced the tone since I bought this about 10 years ago :-). I seen some replacements on Ebay for $21.00, OEM HP from Office Max is about 79.00. 1. How do I tell it's my toner? 2. Has anyone had good luck with these compatible cartridges? Best regards, Doug

Re: hp laserjet 5L by DebbieB (5/9/09 2:44 PM) reply + / -
I'm trying to repair my trusty old HP 5l with the repair kit and by following the instructions on the video. All went well until I tried to remove the front cover. I've removed the side piece, the screws, and the back, but I can't lift off the front cover as specified in the video. You're apparently supposed to be able to press down on the front and pull to both sides to release the latches, but I'm not able to do that. It doesn't pull to the sides as it doesn in the video, and so I can't release the latches, and I can't remove the front cover. Is there something I can do to release the latches?

Re: hp laserjet 5L by nivek (5/9/09 4:07 PM) reply + / -
Well I dont have the video. But after you get the side and back off I usually remove the two screws on top and remove the toner door. Once thats removed I usually just grap either side pull slightly towards you and lift up. Should be pretty easy.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by moe (5/9/09 4:58 PM) reply + / -
Been awhile since I opened one, but if the 2 screws on top are out, open the front cover up (don't have to remove it) and pull forward and up at the bottom right and left and it should just pop off. It's so easy, I've never even given it a second thought.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by DebbieB (5/9/09 6:29 PM) reply + / -
Thank you both very much. You encouraged me to try again. I couldn't get it to budge just by lifting as you suggested, but I looked underneath the printer and saw the little lever and was able to push it from underneath. Then finally the top lifted off. A tiny scrap of paper fell to the floor when I lifted it up, and that made me wonder if maybe it was jammed. I'll keep going with the video now and hopefully won't run into any more problems. Thanks again for your help - I had tried it at least a dozen times based on the way the video said, and it just didn't work.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by BLAZIO (11/20/09 1:23 AM) reply + / -
my cartridge is printing fainty on other side of the paper

Re: HP laserjet 5L by NMH (11/20/09 9:43 AM) reply + / -
It's amazing how this thread has continued over the years. HP made a great product back then. I'm not convinced the quality is as it used to be. Anyway, I finally gave up on my old LaserJet 5L and bought a new laser jet. (Not HP though -- sorry, price thing). Good luck to those keeping their 5L's running.

--Norm in Texas

Re: hp laserjet 5L by Anonymous (1/15/10 3:05 PM) reply + / -
Norm: what did you buy? I may need to give up on my 5L, but I'm going to try to revive it once more. :)

Re: hp laserjet 5L printer drivers by shnmdh54 (3/14/10 7:40 AM) reply + / -
Please my printer doesn't work due due to a dameage in the second descat and I want it .

Re: hp laserjet 5L by dougtoms01 (3/14/10 7:44 AM) reply + / -
I finally broke down and bought a Samsung ML-051ND.
It had good reviews from CNET.
Took me about 5 minutes to hook up and put into my home network.

Fired right up and prints nice, more than 1 page at a time.

Best regards,
Doug

Re: hp laserjet 5L by dougt (3/14/10 7:49 AM) reply + / -
Sorry, typo. I bough a Samsung 3051ND

Bought from Amazon for $139 plus $25 shipping.

Good deal.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L printer drivers by moe (3/14/10 1:02 PM) reply + / -
Sorry, I don't speak Egyptian, so I don't have any idea what a second descat is.

Re: hp laserjet 5L by Ciantic (3/20/10 12:59 PM) reply + / -
I have three Laserjet 5L printers here.

Two of them just shows yellow light, and I suppose they don't detect the paper.

And one that prints, but it takes multiple papers at once causing it to go stuck. It works, but one has to look after it all the time and feed papers to it one by one.

Any ideas? I feel god damn idiot having three similar printers and not getting even one of them working well.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 5L by moe (3/20/10 1:14 PM) reply + / -
Here's a fix for the last one. http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K30

Re: hp laserjet 5L by Ciantic (3/20/10 1:20 PM) reply + / -
Moe, I respect this site and all, but this printer is so old that I'm not going to buy any repair kits...

Especially as I have all the parts (assuming not all three has the same parts broken), only thing I now need is the instructions or ideas where to start looking for the problems.

Re: hp laserjet 5L Blurry printing by Robert Pearse (9/19/10 2:19 PM) reply + / -
Hello, what a great site. Have a 5L for about 5 years that was being chucked out from my office. Had it fixed and it's been great since.
Recently it started printing very closly spaced fine black lines across the page without any image of what i was printing.
I repaced the toner cartridge.
What i get now is a very light grey, fairly even in tone cover across the page. The tone of the grey gets lighter and darker in bands across the page about every 30mm or so.
On some of the 20 or so pages i have printed there is a very small patch of what i am priinting about 1" - 1 1/2" inches or 35mm apart along one part of the page.

Appreciate you advice. This has been agreat printing and i use it for everything i can.

Cheers

Rob

Re: hp laserjet 5L by moe (9/19/10 3:11 PM) reply + / -
I'm guessing a really old expired toner cartridge, even if it was in an unopened box.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters