fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP Laserjet 2200

Post a new message thread

HP Laserjet 2200 by Brian (4/12/04 7:26 AM) + / -
I have a HP LaserJet 2200dn that when powered up all the lights come on and stay on. I have tried HP's fix of letting it unplugged for 15 min. but that did not work. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Brian

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by good man (4/12/04 8:39 AM) -1 + / -
can you print if so the light's will be on because of crossed wires send it back and get it replaced

OK

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Brian (4/12/04 9:53 AM) + / -
No it will not print and does not give an error message either

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (4/12/04 11:24 AM) + / -
You need to press the go and job cancel buttons at the same time to get the secondary code of lights. Post it here and someone will tell you what is wrong. The all three lights on is a fatal error has occured and the sequence above tells exactly what is wrong.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Brian (4/20/04 6:40 AM) + / -
After holding down the go button and the job cancel button the three lights stay on and nothing changes.

Thanks
Brian

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by steve gayler (4/21/04 7:53 AM) + / -
Also having the same problem, started last week.

The Printer will print the test page itself, the moment it has a job sent to it, the 3 lights come on and stay on. Reset the printer, test page from internal works, test print from PC will not. the printer was also on a print server, but removed it right back to basics.

Any ideas anyone??

Steve

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Dave (4/22/04 11:08 AM) + / -
Must be the weather.....I too have the same proplem with my 2200. All 3 lights come on when powered up. Doing the cold start with both buttons depressed does nothing. Holding both buttons down while powering up shows the red light only and steady. This problem actually surfaced when I ran out of paper. After putting in more paper (tried 1 sheet then 10 then 25 sheets) nothing happened. Disconnected the power plug and parallel cable for two days also.....no joy. There is what appears to be a black, paper sensing lever that drops down by gravity when the paper is gone. When gently moving it back and forth....I can detect no switch movement (other printers I owned emitted a faint click from a micro switch) could this switch have failed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks, Dave
BestWitted@aol.com

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by natasha (4/23/04 3:59 AM) + / -
Go the same problem...when the go and cancel button are pressed together, the error light by the exclaimation mark and the power on button both flash.

It's a pain because i've got a HP 1220c that also stopped working yesterday...it wouldn't print A3 to start with and kept making a grinding noise, however it would print A4. Now today it won't print anythng and says that something is obstructing the print cartridge. This alsways seems to hapen when Yr11 and 6th form coursework is due...do you think it knows??

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Matt Burdusis (7/16/04 11:21 AM) + / -
I have the same problem too. tried everything but all three stay on. no test printing works. When you press both buttons, the middle light goes off while the other 2 flash. When you let go all three go on again. Help!!!

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (7/16/04 4:56 PM) + / -
That indicates a interface problem. I would disconnect the cable going from the computer to the printer at the printer end and turn on the printer and see what happens. If you get to the ready light just press the big button for a self test. If that works, you have a problme with theh cable or the port on your computer. There is the outside chance you could have a formatter issue.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Matt Burdusis (7/16/04 5:06 PM) + / -
Yep tried that. Still had the same problem. Logic board or formatter? If so then it might just be better to replace. We print about 3000 pages per week to it and it has been in place since February 2002.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (7/16/04 7:08 PM) + / -
One last thing. Try a NVRAM reset. Hold both buttons while powering on the printer. Hold them both for a least 20 seconds and release. Sometimes the NVRAM gets corrupt and wierd things happen.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Shelly (7/19/04 11:08 AM) + / -
Ok same problem here. All three lights come on after i try to print a test page manually. won't respond to button pushing after all lights go solid, turn off and on again and it looks and sounds like it will go, when i tried the nvram reset it gave a test page once, but then wouldnt do it again without another reset. i am not hooked up to a computer at all so i know it is not an interface issue, someone suggested it is the formatter board...where is that located in the printer?

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by moe (7/19/04 12:35 PM) + / -
Right front of the printer under the cover.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Shelly (7/19/04 12:48 PM) + / -
Is there a way to test and see if the formatter board is the cause of this problem?

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by john (7/31/04 2:15 PM) + / -
same problem :(

Found an HP laserjet 2200dn at a thrift store.
Got it home and powered it up and all three lights stay on, the computer will see it but i can't print out a test page (don't know how to print test from the unit)

no one here found a fix aye?
:(

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by moe (7/31/04 5:36 PM) + / -
Now you know why it was at the thrift store. Fatal error. Push both buttons and give us the secondary light indications.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by vinita (1/12/05 1:39 AM) + / -
I own an HP LASERJET 2200D.I have the same problem with the printer .All three lights come on after i start my printer.i try to print a test page manually from the properties menu but i get a follwing message
error - Printing - User Intervention Required.
Please help!!

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (1/12/05 1:53 PM) + / -
You need to read the complete thread. You need to press both buttons when all three are on and report any changes in the light pattern. Example, when you press both button, the middle light goes out. Report back and someone will tell you what is wrong.

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by VINITA (1/13/05 1:19 AM) + / -
Thanks a lot to you and fixyourownprinter.com

I have solved the problem.the printer is working now.
All the service engineers had given me a estimate of Rs.10,000-15000.I knew it was a very small problem and so took this online help.

I tried pressing both the buttons for many times, but it would not respond.I thought of disconnecting the printer from the computer and reconnected the printer.As soon as I reconnected the printer cable, I pressed both the buttons and aha..... there finally i got the green light.

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by VINITA (1/13/05 1:42 AM) + / -
I had the same problem and also started when I ran out of paper.

I have solved the problem.the printer is working now.
All the service engineers had given me a estimate of Rs.10,000-15000.Some said you need to change the fuser and others the Formatter board.I knew it was a very small problem, as when i opened the front cover, took out the cartridge and refitted the cartridge the motor moved.

I tried pressing both the buttons for many times, but it would not respond.I thought of disconnecting the printer from the computer for a day or two and reconnected the printer and the power cable( note the power was on and the other end of the power cable was connected to the power socket before i connected the power cable to the printer).As soon as I reconnected the power cable, I pressed both the buttons and aha..... there finally i got the green light.

BEST OF LUCK I SUPPOSE THE PROBLEM IS NOT TOO BIG.

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Tim (1/13/05 6:38 AM) +1 + / -
Hi Moe,

I was reading one all the replys regarding the 2200D Im guessing you have the answere to my problem....so here it is....

2200D
*will not P/U paper
*self test page will not print... all three lights come on.

*secondary light pattern is

"triangle" light is ON
"U shape" light is ON
"go button" light is OFF

do you know what the fatal erron is?

Thanks in advance

Tim

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (1/13/05 11:38 AM) + / -
This is a laser/scanner error. You can check the connections between the laser scanner and the control board, however, when I have encountered this error it is always the laser/scanner which is bad. Most times it is the motor which fails to get up to speed. Unfortunately you have to replace the complete laser/scanner and it is not cheap.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (1/14/05 10:02 PM) + / -
Try checking if the printer motor is working properly.
For doing so, open the front cover, take out the cartridge and refit the cartridge and if the motor moves after you close the cover, the problem is not major.

Can you tell me how old is your printer?

BEST OF LUCK

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by VINITA (1/14/05 10:07 PM) + / -
Try checking if the printer motor is working properly.
For doing so, open the front cover, take out the cartridge and refit the cartridge and if the motor moves after you close the cover, the problem is not major.

Can you tell me how old is your printer?

BEST OF LUCK

VINITA

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (1/14/05 10:09 PM) + / -
The printer motor will run even if the scanner is bad. The scanner error occurs when you go to print. There is a motor in the scanner assembly which has to come up to speed. If it does not, then the fatal error. I do not think the last poster knows much about this printer. The only thing his test shows is the main motor is working and there is no paper jam. Heck the motor will turn even if you have a bad formatter and that is a major issue.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by temp0r (5/15/05 7:34 PM) + / -
running into the fatal error problem, when pressing the go button for the secondary code the bottom two lights stay solid, service manual says to replace the fuser .. tried that and didn't work, hp tech support said engine controller and then pcb/power supply .. by that time it cost more to hope it'd work than it was to buy a new printer

anyone come across a 'bad fuser error' and it not be the fuser ?

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (5/15/05 10:04 PM) + / -
You need to get the correct fatal error. Pressing the go button is only good for continuable secondary errors. You need to press both the job cancel and go buttons at the same time which will give you the true secondary fatal error code.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by temp0r (5/17/05 9:41 AM) + / -
I've pressed the go button and the go + job cancel button .. same error lights come on .. telling me bad fuser, but I've tried 3 fusers in the printer and it's the same issue .. hp suggests buyin' more parts than the printer is worth .. but curious if anyone's found the actual solution.

again .. all three lights come on, have to press the go and job cancel buttons .. it leaves the bottom two (green) lights on .. gives me a (50) bad fuser error according to the service manual.

HELP! haha .. thanks

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (5/17/05 10:45 AM) + / -
I have only seen it once and that was on a 2100 where it was the ECU which caused the 50 error. That would be my next step, but it is pricey for that item.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by temp0r (5/17/05 11:06 AM) + / -
I realize that .. just rather know which ONE part it is .. the problem I had was that HP said after the fuser to try changing the ECU and power supply .. those two parts cost more than the printer itself.

I'm still working through them .. if I figure out which part it is I'll post again .. appreciate your input dmz!

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (5/17/05 12:55 PM) + / -
There is no way to know what part it is until you replace one of them and see if it works. Either of those two parts can cause the error if it is not the fuser and there are no diagnostics I know of which can narrow it down. Sorry.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Marthe (5/26/05 2:15 AM) + / -
I'have a problem too.

I have a HP LaserJet 2200dn that when powered up all the lights come on and stay on. It won't print a testpage. If I push both the buttons at the same time, it does nothing.
I've bougt the printer 2nd hands without a toner. I've put the toner in myself. Ít had a LPT-cable. XP printjob says that the paper is empty. HP-program gives 52 scanner error.

Today I removed the LPT-cable and replaced it with an USB-cable. Now only the Ready-ligt is on. I''ve removed the tonercartridge and placed it back and I heard the motor.
It still doesn't print. XP printprograms gives immediately the error that it can't print. HP's program gives no specific error, but I see icons of computer to printer, and the data between them is broken en it gives a question mark there.

Can you tell me what the problem can be?

Marion

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by moe (5/26/05 9:31 AM) + / -
If all the lights come on and stay on even after you push both buttons, it's a formatter error.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (5/26/05 9:34 AM) + / -
The fact that when you press both buttons with all three lights on and they stay on indicates a internal ram or rom issue. Your problem is most likey the formatter itself. If you delete the printer from the computer when it is not attached and then connect the usb cable, does the computer see the printer and load the driver for it? My guess is that is does not since with the parallel cable you get the fatal formatter error.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Marthe (5/30/05 4:26 PM) + / -
Thanx, DMZ you're right, but the computer did see the printer all along. I have an USB cable now, and the printer is ready.
But after a printjob, the green light blinks, but after that all 3 lights are on and the printer doesn't print at all. Pressing both buttons makes no difference, 3 lights stay on. I've opened it and there's no paperjam nor in the duplexer.
The motor turns, I hear another sound in the back, but nothing comes out. HP program gives a 52 scanner error...

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Marthe (5/30/05 4:34 PM) + / -
The HP program gives a message:

INPUT/OUTPUT STATUS FORMAT
Tray 1 unknown papertype
Tray 2 OK unknown papertype

Can this have anything to do with the errors?

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Stephen (5/30/05 6:04 PM) + / -
If you are having a scanner error, then the other messages you are getting are not important.

The fact that the printer gets as far as starting the scanner motor says that the printer has checked the paper sensors and they are in an acceptable state.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (5/30/05 8:46 PM) + / -
Steven I disagree. If the machine has a scanner error when both buttons are pressed only the middle light will stay on. Since all lights stay on I would lean towards the formatter which if defective could give a false error code to the software. Marte when you get the error if you press the go button does a sheet of paper eject from the printer. If it does and has some black horizontal lines on it Steven may be right. My guess is it will not. I have been known to be wrong on some occasions.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by caitlyn20 (6/15/05 10:37 AM) + / -
Is there a list of the diagnostic error codes? I have one that when powered on flashes the go button and "u" button alternately in green for a few seconds and then shuts off. I have not been able to find a list of error codes.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by moe (6/15/05 12:46 PM) +1 + / -
Memory Configuration Error.
1. Reprint the job.
2. Perform a cold reset.
3. Replace a DIMM/memory.
4. Replace the formatter.

To do a cold reset, hold down the reset button on top while powering the printer on. Hold it for about 30 seconds and let go.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (6/29/05 10:05 AM) + / -
My HP 2200D comes on and does the usual light show. Then I print a test page and the paper comes out all I see is toner on the page. It cant be blown off, so the fuser and all I guess is working. I hit the triangle while in the middle of the test print and when the paper went back in to print on the other side it came out with a string of printed digits and letters on it. So it prints, but its just jerking my chain. No clue, and Im in the business of fixing these guys. I took some things apart but I dont want to start popping and swaping till I know what the problem is, I only have a limited supply of materials to fix em.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by moe (6/29/05 10:21 AM) + / -
Your post is a bit confusing. Are you generating the test page from the printer panel or from the computer? Have you tried an engine test? If you take off the back right side panel and look real careful, you'll see a small test button. That will give you a page of lines. I suspect you have a bad formatter board, but not sure from your post details.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by gilwin (7/6/05 9:27 AM) + / -
Hi,
I have a similar problem and am trying to figure out what the secondary error code means.

My 2200d starts normally then all 3 lights stay on if I touch the go button or try to print something. The go light flashes as if it's getting ready to print but then all 3 light up.

The Secondary code is that the attention and go lights both blink and the "U" light is out. I do not see this particular combination on HP's website.

I have done the following with the printer unplugged from the pc:

I let the printer sit for 1/2 an hour unplugged.

An NVRAM reset as described in this thread does nothing.

The engine test using the small button behind the right panel prints a sheet of fine horizontal lines.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Gil

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by moe (7/6/05 10:00 AM) + / -
That translates out to a 67 error or "miscellaneous hardware error" The book says to check the I/O connections and try an IEEE cable. Does it generate a self test ok when you push the button? If that also works, then try hooking it to another computer.

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (7/6/05 2:44 PM) + / -
Pushing the button to generate a self-test is one of the things that causes the error. The error is there even if it is totally disconnected. However, since my post I swapped out the formatter board from another 2200 and it came back to life, so it looks like it's a bad formatter board. Do you know anybody who fixes those or a source for a replacement? (I see one for about $90 on ebay).
Thanks,
Gil

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by moe (7/6/05 4:28 PM) + / -
That's where I was going next. I don't like telling people to replace an expensive part unless I'm sure it will fix it. You won't get it repaired any cheaper than what a replacement/exchange would cost. I would be very careful buying from pirateBay. Every one who sells there hides under a cloak of anonymity. There are hundreds of documented instances on this forum of people who have been screwed over buying printers from there.

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (7/7/05 2:04 PM) + / -
Thanks for the info. It may be time to get a new printer anyway.
Gil

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by chubs (7/20/05 2:42 AM) + / -
if all LED has solid light. check the scanner motor move nomal or not stack up

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by andrew baker (7/21/05 10:01 PM) + / -
I had this problem with the lights staying on, on a HP LJ 2200.
This one had a Jet Direct card in it. I found that when I removed the card the problem disappeared and I could print fine through LPT1. Then I put a Jet Direct Card in which was known to be working, and it worked fine.

Yey.

I suggest if you are having this problem check and see if there is a Jet Direct installed before you do anything else.

Cheers

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Mat (8/1/05 1:55 AM) + / -
I have a problem with a 2200DN. It prints to the 500 sheet optional tray (Tray 3), but not to the integral Tray 2. If I try and run the self test/config option it prints out it can see all 3 trays - but if I try and print to Tray 2 it flashes error light and does nothing. Users report they have not refilled trsy 2 for months. It is connected to network with a JetDirect - printer works fine apart from printing to Tray 2 - any ideas how to identify if the printer is faulty ? Thanks...

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by 1298mike (8/5/05 10:55 AM) + / -
The printer has JetDirect 610N and is used as a network printer.I have read the Post above and tried the NVRam reset. Here is the problem. After the printer goes through POST I get a flashing top (orange) light. If I press the GO button, the middle (green) comes on, motor runs, green light goes out and orange light comes back on. When I press both buttons to get the error code the orange light still flashes and none of the other lights come on. With the right side cover removed I noticed what looks like 2 LEDs at the bottom front of the board. The top one is clear and the bottom one is dark. Neither is on. Can anyone help with this.

Thanks.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (8/5/05 1:05 PM) + / -
First off if the motor turns you do not have a sensor issue. The first thing I would do is remove the jetdirect card and turn on the printer and see if it comes to ready. If not I would raise and lower the toner cartrdige door and see if the motor turns. If it does not you may have an issue with door interlock. If it does turn, I would then look at the paper clip like contacts which make contact with the toner cartridge on the left side. There are two of them and just make sure they are straight up and spring down and back up when you push them down. If that does not solve your issue and since you do not get all three lights for a fatal error, I would lean towards a formatter issue.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by 1298mike (8/9/05 8:04 AM) + / -
dmz,
Thanks for the reply. I removed the jet direct card, no change. When I raise and lower the toner door the motor does cycle. The 2 paper clip like contacts are in good shape.I can move them and they spring back. I tried an engine test, nothing happened. At this point I am still working on it, but thaks again for the help. I have seen other posts about this single flashing orange LED and it seems like there are several items to check including the power supply.

Mike.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (8/9/05 1:38 PM) + / -
With all that you have done it could be the formatter. You may want to remove the formatter and do the engine test again. If it works it is the formatter. If it does not then it could be the main board.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (8/9/05 1:41 PM) + / -
Another thing just came to mind. Place a sheet of paper on the manual feeder and see if the light goes out and the green comes on. If the sensor for the tray is not working and the printer thinks it is out of paper you will get the blinking amber light. Puttng paper on the manual feeder will tell you if this is an issue.

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by 1298mike (8/10/05 5:45 AM) + / -
dmz,

I wasn't very familier with this printer before I started with this problem. I was assuming since the motor turned paper sensors weren't the issue. I found this link,

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp objectID=bpl11197&printver=true#

At the end of the document it described the duplexer. I checked above it and found a sheet jammed there. I mis-understood the operation of all the paper sensors. Thanks again for the help. This site is now a part of my diag tools.

Mike.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (8/10/05 6:58 AM) + / -
The other issue is you needed to start a new thread with the title as HP 2200D. You tagged onto the end of a HP 2200 thread and since the 2200 does not contain a duplex unit none of us would have thought of that as an issue. The D at the end of the model indicates the unit as duplex.

Re: HP Laserjet 2100 by gonmarsh (8/12/05 1:44 AM) + / -
My HP Laser Jet 2100 suddenly fails to print jobs .Cables, catridge,printer self test is okay but now the problem I'm facing is that it cannot print a test page and jobs sent.I'm using WinXP Professional,LPT1 port.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by abberthorn (8/17/05 12:57 PM) + / -
Have a 2200dn series with JetDirect J4169A. Set up as a network printer, but cannot see it on the network. The ip address in configuration is 0.0.0.0. Cannot reset it to default 192.0.0.192. Any ideas to put an IP address on this printer?

Thanks,
Jordan

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (8/17/05 6:37 PM) + / -
Problem could be with the jet direct card. When you run the configuration sheet it should give the MAC address for the card. Go to HP.com and click on support and drivers. Put in the J4169A and download the easy installation software for your system. With this software you can search for the card via the MAC address which should find it if it is working and then set it up for tcp/ip. Sometimes if you just hold the large button when powering on your printer for about 10 seconds it does a cold reset and will use bootp to setup you card. Does not work all the time.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by sukk1e (8/25/05 12:32 AM) + / -
maybe someone already said it but its soo much too read:P

I did the options:
1. Both buttons pressed lights go on/of then power unplugged and plugged and it works , it prints a testpage ok ok.
but when i unplug the power again and then connect it again all the lights are on again.

2. hold the upper button plugging the power hold it 30 sec.
but doesnt works

how to keep the lights off?

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by moe (8/25/05 11:26 AM) + / -
All lights on is a fatal error. When that happens you push both buttons and that will give you a set of lights. If you tell us which lights are on, we can tell you what the problem is.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by moe (8/25/05 11:26 AM) + / -
All lights on is a fatal error. When that happens you push both buttons and that will give you a set of lights. If you tell us which lights are on, we can tell you what the problem is.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by sukk1e (8/25/05 11:55 AM) + / -
when i push both buttons the lower and the upper lights go on and off.

middle light is always off

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by moe (8/25/05 12:05 PM) + / -
Miscellaneous Interface Hardware Error (67 service).
Check the I/O connections.
Verify that the cable is IEEE-1284 B-compliant (if applicable).

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (8/31/05 8:08 AM) + / -
I've got the same issue:
All lights are on reporting a Service Error.

I tried doing the "Press Go and Job Cancel" simultaneously to display a secondary light pattern, but they stay solid.

Which indicates:

1. Temporary Engine Error

Solution:
Reset the printer by briefly turning the printer off and back on again.

2. Bad Connection
The cable between the printer and computer has a bad connection, the cable is of poor quality, or the connection between the printer and the EIO card has been broken.

Solution:
Check the cable connections to see if they are secure.
Make sure a high-quality cable is being used.
Turn off the printer and reseat the EIO card.
Press the GO button to clear the message and continue printing.
Replace the EIO card.

3. IO Error
The printer has experienced a temporary EIO error.

Solution:
Reset the printer by turning the printer off and back on again.
==============================================================

The internal JetDirect card has been removed and am now using an external Jetdirect box (300x) on a couple of these printers using IEEE Compliant (not compatible) cables.

It seems to happen after the printer is left unused for an indeterminate amount of time.

Anyone have any more info on this?

Rob

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Kootje (9/5/05 4:23 AM) + / -
Hi there,

I've got the same problem with two 2200dtn's. These printers are always on. When they not used for a while the 3 light's are going on and we can't print anything to these printers. When I push the go and cancel buttons I don't get an secondary error. Only the upper light is blinking (attention). After the three lights go on and off and the printer is ready to print.

Does anybody know what could be the problem? Could it be an kind of timeout?

Thanks in advance,

Marco

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by sukk1e (9/13/05 6:57 AM) + / -
Here is a page full with possible errors and images to get a clue what ur error might be

http://www.adamaster.ru/info/code/hp/

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (9/13/05 7:23 AM) + / -
Yes I'll do that

Thanks a lot!!!

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (9/23/05 11:05 AM) + / -
TEMPOR..... DID YOU EVER FIND WHAT THE FIX WAS FOR THIS PROBLEM....I HAVE THE SAME THING......TPADDEN

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (9/27/05 4:41 PM) + / -
My 2200d goes through the motions -- everything looks and sounds like it's printing, the green "U" light blinks, the rod/bar thingy (where the paper gets pushed out) spins, but no paper comes out. Then the orange light blinks. Can't find a paper jam anywhere. I've tried rebooting, powering off the printer, etc., but I can't get any output.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (9/27/05 4:50 PM) + / -
It could be a case of the pickup roller being bad, loose or out of place. The best way to check is to put a sheet of paper on the manual feeder and remove the paper tray. Do a self test by holding the back button and pressing the front button and releasing both buttons. If it prints, look at the sheet and make sure it has the right paper size listed for the lower tray. If it does you need to check that pickup roller for correct installation and wear.

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (9/28/05 6:51 AM) + / -
Brilliant, dmzcompute! I didn't even know I had a manual feed. :-} My paper tray wasn't scootched (that would be the technical term, I believe) tight against the paper. I adjusted that and now it's printing fine. Thanks for your help!

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (10/3/05 12:51 PM) + / -
I have a HP2200D also. I do not have any issues with the lights but recently the printer is making loud noises when printing. I did a mass mailing of 1000 and shortly after, everytime the paper passes through, it makes a loud rolling noise. Can you help on what I can do to get this fixed? Taking printer apart and adjusting rollers? Not sure how to do that or where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
K

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (10/3/05 1:05 PM) + / -
We need to isolate where the noise is coming from. When you print does the noise start like a jet engine and after the paper has printed does it sort of wind down? If so the issue is the laser/scanner motor and about the only way to solve is to replace the laser scanner. If this is not the case, open the top cover and remove the toner cartridge and close the top cover. When the motor turns is the noise there or gone. If gone replace the toner cartridge. If none of the above you will rally have to remove the main cover, defeat the interlock switch, and put your ear to it and tell us where it is coming from.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (10/4/05 6:30 AM) + / -
I took the toner cartridge out and noise still appears. The printer has always made a minor noise when it begins to print, but I thought that was normal during generating. The added noise is a clicking sound when paper goes through rollers, like something is not spinning correctly and stuck in the back of the printer. Thanks for the quick response and help. If you determine that it still might be the motor, what is the cost of that part?

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by mcride (10/4/05 11:18 AM) + / -
I have a HP 2200 dtn. I have added a third tray for legal paper. The printer prints only to tray 3 when using automactic select in the paper tray options. It doesn't matter if the job is legal or letter it prints to tray 3. If I select tray 2 it prints from tray 2, but I don't want to have to select which tray to pull from on every print job. Do you have any suggestions?

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (10/4/05 2:20 PM) + / -
You need to go into the driver and select properties and then device options. Under that tab will will a section for installed options. You need to tell the driver you have a tray 2 and tray 3 installed. After that look above and you will see a setting for tray 2 and tray 3. You need to then specify what size paper is installed in tray 2 and tray 3.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by phu (10/6/05 9:05 PM) + / -
I have an HP 2200 printer and it will not pick up paper from tray 1 (manual tray) after I've replaced the rollers in the roller kit. Tray 2 prints out fine. When printing using the manual tray, it will not lift the paper up and the roller doesn't seem to move at all. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks!

P

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (10/6/05 9:23 PM) + / -
I may be wrong on this since it has been a couple of years since I replaced the tray 1 roller. If memory serves me there is a pin which goes thru the shaft and sometimes that pin falls out and then the roller will no longer turn. The other thing is do you get the jam light on the printer when you try to print from tray 1? Keep in mind there is a selenoid on the right side behind the formatter which activates the roller shaft. If that selenoid is not working then the roller shaft will never be released.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Jakke (10/7/05 1:01 AM) + / -
Similar problems with my HP Laserjet 2200d. Three lights are on. When I simultaneously press Go and Cancel buttons, three lights start blinking.

Anyone know how to fix this ? Manual says, if I interpret correctly, "General Continuable Error, contact HP".

Yeah right, I'd rather try something myself first.

Many thanks

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (10/7/05 4:53 AM) + / -
Stephen,

They all blink at once, when I press Go and Cancel simultaneously.

No printheads to be found in my laserprinter though. I've tried removing the toner, checked for jammed paper, tried a cold reset (by pressing Go and turning on power until attention light is lit). All of these don't work.

Any ideas ?

Greets
Jakke

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (10/7/05 3:35 PM) + / -
When all three lights come on that is a fatal error and not continuable. If you have a internal netowrk card or any additional memory, remove them and see if the problem goes away. If not the next step is to replace the formatter. That may not solve it.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by MichaelD (edited 10/18/05 4:10 PM) + / -
Hello,

I'm having the same problem with 6 of the 2200's after siting idle for a weekend they are refusing to print. All the lights are lit up and nothing will print, I have to reset the units and then delete the first job in the cue to get the rest of the held jobs. These all network print from either VMS or Novell ques. Now one unit I pulled the 610 jetdirect and replaced it with a 600 so I'm watching to see what the result will be since the other 5 units have the 610 in them, this one replaced 610 kept losing its static IP and reverted to DHCP all by its lonesome self, so now its an ice scraper.
I'm thinking about replacing some formater boards, I see refurbs are around 175 bucks, anyone know what the current price of a new formatter board ?

Mike

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Stephen (edited 10/18/05 5:38 PM) + / -
Save the bad JetDirects, you can use them as a core when ordering new JetDirects.

You do not mention your exact model number, you just say 2200, the 2200D (models with Duplexers) use a different formatter.

http://partsurfer.hp.com

Have you updated the JetDirect firmware? (download "Download Manager" from the HP web site, it's free)

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by ZeroVerteX (10/20/05 6:17 AM) + / -
Hi all! I was having trouble with a HP LJ 2200dn with all the lights on. I unplugged it for about 15 seconds and plugged it back in with both buttons pressed for about 15 sec. Each light came on and went off from top to bottom, one after the next. Next, the middle light (green, next to the U shaped icon) blinked a few times and all was okay! THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT TIPS!

To Others still experiencing a problem: READ THE WHOLE THREAD! As my solution my not fix your problem.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (11/17/05 12:23 PM) + / -
Hi! My LJ 2200D lights are flashing once at power on. Holding both
buttons makes the lights turn on one after another - but they stay
on then :(

Anyone any suggestions ?

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (11/17/05 12:43 PM) + / -
Yes be a bit more informative. You say lights are flasing once at power on. Do all three lights stay on or are they off. When they flash what happens next? A fatal error on this printer is all three lights are on solid. When you press both buttons at the same time the light pattern will change, but lights will be on either sold or flashing but not turn on one after another. Seems link you may be holding the buttons down to long and the printer attempts to reinitialize. Keep it simple. You turn on the printer, light flash in sequence and when they stop what are you left with without pressing any buttons. Report back with answer and someone will then ask you to do something else.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (11/17/05 1:02 PM) + / -
OK - I'll give it a try: They flash up once (simultaneously - not in a sequence) at power-up and stay off then - even when I press any or both buttons...
Holding both buttons pressed at power up results in each light coming up on after another - but they stay on then...

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (11/17/05 2:06 PM) + / -
Still not telling me what I need. When you turn on the printer all three lights should come on and then go off at the same time. Next the middle green light should flash on then off, then the amber light should flash on then off, then the front green light should flash on then off and then the middle green light should come on solid. The one thing you do not say is if you have 3 lights. Sometimes one of the leds breaks off and all the lights do not show, so error detecting is more difficult. I told you what should happen, now you have to tell me what happens. I do not want to know what happens when you press the buttons on startup or when the lights have stopped flashing. Just tell me how the lights react when you turn on the printer and if are getting all three lights to come on and off.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (11/18/05 3:00 AM) + / -
When I turn on my printer all three lights come on and then go off at the same time (that's what I meant writing "flash up once").

That's it - no more flashing - no more lights - they stay off then...

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (11/18/05 7:43 AM) + / -
If that is what happens I would lean towards the formatter being defective. About the only thing you can do NVRAM intial. Hold down the big go button then turn on the printer and continue to hold until all three lights are on solid and stay on. At that point release the go button and the lights should then cycle. If they do not cycle the formatter is the most likley issue followed by the ecu. Another thing you can do to narrow it down is an engine test. On the right side remove the back cover. You will see a green wire attached with a screw. Look up and you will see a small hole. This is the engine test button. With paper in the printer, press that button with a q tip stick or something small and see if the printer prints a sheet of paper with lines. If it does, the formatter is definitly you issue. If it does not then it could be either the formatter or the engine control unit. Toss up.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (11/18/05 9:59 AM) + / -
NVRAM initial failed - no cycling lights
Engine test succeeded - I got some striped sheets now

I conclude: the formatter is my problem - right ?

thx for your patience...

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (11/18/05 12:17 PM) + / -
Right.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (12/21/05 9:35 AM) + / -
Here's HP's website on the HP LaserJet 2200 blinking lights.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com

Re: HP Laserjet 2100 Paper Jam Light by willet (12/22/05 6:39 AM) + / -
The yellow paper jam light on my HP laserjet 2100 is on. I have tried over and over again to locate a jam and cannot find one. Before this happened, the printer made a kind of groaning noise as it was printing. Any suggestions about what the problem might be. Ihave pushed thejob cancel button several times & the lights blink through a sequence, but then the yellow flashing paper jam light goes on again.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (12/22/05 7:38 AM) +1 + / -
You should have started another post or added on to a 2100 thread. My first question would be does the motor turn when you lift and close the toner door. If it does then it means the error condition is a no toner or paper out condition. For the toner, open the door, remove the toner and look for the paper like clips on the left side which make contact with the toner cartridge. Sometimes they get bent and do not make contact and the printer thinks there is no toner cartridge. The other thing is to put a sheet of paper on the manual feeder and see if the green light stays on. If it does then you have something wrong with the paper out sensor/flag for the paper tray. If the motor does not turn it means you have a paper or at least the printer thinks you do by virture of a sensor flag being out of position. Most common area would be the fuser in the back.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Jeff Morgan (3/4/06 9:45 AM) + / -
I have read the entire thread and have tried everything to fix an irrating problem that I have been living with for 2 years. My 2200d will print anything with text just fine. If there is ANY graphics file (like a header that says "FAX"), no matter how teeny-tiny, all three lights come on and it will not print. When I push the 2 buttons, the upper orange light and the bottom green light flash, the middle light is not illuminated at all.
Help. Thanks.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by dmzcompute (3/4/06 10:16 AM) + / -
That is a general interface error. The first thing I would do is replace the parallel printer cable with a new IEEE complient cable. If that does not work, I would try to connect the printer to another computer with the new cable and see if that makes a difference. If it does it may mean you parallel port on the computer may be defective. Another option since this is the 2200 is to connect it to the computer using a usb cable. If all of these fail, I would lean towards a formatter issue. My gut feeling is you have cable or interface issues.

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (4/20/06 6:57 AM) + / -
hi moe, when pushing both buttons after an all lights on fatal error i get the following:

The top red light goes off, the bottom two green lights stay on!

Can you please help!

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by Anonymous (4/20/06 9:21 AM) + / -
Anonymous,
The fatal error secondary light pattern you describe (bottom two lights are on solid & the top most light is off) is a fuser error.
Good luck!

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by guttapercha (5/15/06 6:52 AM) + / -
Hello, my printer is acting up slightly differently from the above scenarios. The three lights come on solidly after printing a page.
When I press either both buttons or just the big button alone, the red light(next to the triangle) goes out, but comes back on as soon as I release either button. If I power off/on, it will work for one more page, but then the lights come back. All of this will happen with either a windows-generated page and the self-test (hp page).

Another weird thing about this printer is that the parallel interface does not work. It only works via the USB cable.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by guttapercha (5/15/06 7:08 AM) + / -
Oh...to follow up the above post. The text blows right off the page when the printer does manage to get something out. It's making
a big mess.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by moe (5/15/06 9:42 AM) + / -
I don't understand why you think it's different, it is exactly the same. The secondary code is only on when you hold the button. You have a fuser problem and that is indicated by the text not bonding to the paper, although it should not feed paper when there is a fuser fault present.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by wellswoods (8/27/06 10:23 PM) + / -
I have an HP Laserjet 2200dtn. When I print, the printer powers up, then it makes this terrible whizzing/humming sound, and usually doesnt print, or it just prints part of the job then quits. It will have the orange button light up. Can someone tell me this means?

Thanks alot.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by moe (8/27/06 11:27 PM) + / -
From the description, I'd say that the laser scanner bearings are shot. You'll have to replace the laser scanner assembly.

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by gealany (10/18/06 6:42 AM) + / -
hi moe, when pushing both buttons after an all lights on fatal error i get the following:

All three lights on!

Can you help me please?

thanks

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by hpwizard (10/18/06 6:52 AM) + / -
All 3 lights on while pressing "go" & "job cancel" buttons indicates formatter error. Part no. C4209-61002
You may want to try & get a 2nd hand one tho'

Dazz UK

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by gealany (10/18/06 7:13 AM) + / -
Where is the formatter?

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by hpwizard (10/18/06 7:29 AM) + / -
http://partsurfer.hp.com

click on the above, if you are still none the wiser, have a look at some other diagrammes on the sight.

Dazz UK

Re: HP Laserjet 2200 by gealany (10/18/06 7:41 AM) + / -
Thanks.
I have changed the formatter. But it is still the same error. :-(

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters