fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP deskjet 940c printer

Post a new message thread

HP deskjet 940c printer by Anonymous (11/6/03 6:01 PM) + / -
My power light is on, my Resume light is Blinking. but my printer does not print. HELP! maryc@ispwest.com

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Dewaine (11/6/03 7:26 PM) +3 + / -
Your ink cartridges might be bad. Remove the ink cartridges and check them.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Rudy (11/6/03 9:39 PM) + / -
Warning lights

Print cartridge light off
Resume light blinking
Power light on

The printer may be out of paper
The printer may have a paper jam

If the resume light continues to blink after clearing jam or if carriage is stuck (makes noise)

lift the top cover of printer
turn printer off and on again
unplug power cable
move carriage to middle of the printer
remove cartridges and close cover
reconnect power cord
open top cover and reinstall cartridges, close cover

Above a summary of text at HP support...document entitled "Fixing blinking lights on 900 series printers"

Link to HP on the home page of this site...scroll down.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Kennie Day (11/16/03 8:22 AM) + / -
Paper Jam- Removed paper- checked back cover & replaced- Replaced paper- Power lite blinks momentarily but doesn't stay on- Resume lite blinking, doesn't go out- Tried disconnecting power cord- Replaced cartridges-When resume button is depressed carriage cycles and returns to right side- Noisy-Resume lite blinks and power lite does not come on

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Rudy (11/16/03 9:12 AM) + / -
Original post and thread by Mary C.
Please start a new post with verified HP model. Use link on home page or bottom of first forum page. Thanks.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Kennie Day (11/16/03 9:29 AM) + / -
HP Deskjet 940c S/N MX15E6ZO6T- Model # C6431A

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Kevin (11/27/03 9:11 AM) + / -
After removing paper that was jammed, the printer made a grinding noise then resume and power lights start blinking. I have tried the power-off procedure and removing cartridges, etc. no help. The only difference now is that the cartridges are stuck in the middle of the printer instead of inside at the right end.

I got the printer fixed once on warranty for a similar problem - the tech person said he got step-by-step instructions for how to fix the printer from the hp site, but I can't find it anywhere. It required taking the printer apart and had something to do with realigning a slipped belt, as I recall. Any ideas?

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (11/29/03 12:49 PM) + / -
Kenny, Kevin
A slipped belt should not necessitate taking the cover off. If the carriage can be moved by hand with the power off when it is not parked to the right, try HP's reintialization procedure.

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bpd09315

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by rd (11/29/03 4:05 PM) + / -
check the reader strip at the rear...OR take it too the local HP repair, and have it fixed..OR better yet, get a new printer...their cheap.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Lena (12/8/03 2:50 PM) + / -
I just refilled my cartridges and I ran the test the colors were beautiful. The colors were perfect at the bottom. Red, pink, yellow, blue, etc.was perfect yesterday. My problem is someone in my household changed the colors and when I printed a document that had red or blue or yellow in it, it prints these colors different. Red is burgundy, blue is green and yellow is light pink. I ran a test and at the bottom the colors have been adusted I don't get the old pattern of yellow blue red, pink, etc. I get purple, light purple, orange, green, etc.

Please help..

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (12/8/03 2:57 PM) + / -
I suspect that the ink colors have gotten mixed inside the cartridge.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by davinder (12/26/03 6:49 AM) + / -
my printer prints out colour pink it was ok before i brought a refilled cartridge the black is ok and also it takes time printing and it comes up with printer time out problem

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Denny Conway (12/26/03 4:25 PM) + / -
Davinder: Unfortunatly, its probably that refilled cartridge that you installed, especially seeing that the previous color cartridge was ok, even though it was probably empty. Unless you have an ink error light blinking on your printer, that printer time out problem is probably caused by your Computer System [possible corrupted Printer Drivers or a failing Printer Cable], rather than the printer itself. If there is an ink error light on, it could be caused by that refilled cartridge, if its the wrong cartridge or a bad cartridge. You can always try cleaning the electrical contacts on the refilled ink cartridge and inside the ink cartridge holder assembly, with a damp Q-Tip. Then dry the contacts with a new dry Q-Tip and retry the cartridge. If that does not help and you still have your old cartridge, try reinstalling it even if its empty and see if that printer time out problem goes away. As long as the old or empty cartridge was not causing an error condition, your printer will still print in black, as long as that old color cartridge is installed, even if its empty...Good Luck! Dwnny Conway

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Julie (1/9/04 12:45 PM) + / -
Our school's 940c printer won't print. The printer cartridge light is blinking constantly. We installed new printer cartridges. When you open the printer top, the cartridges move all of way over to the left side of the printer. What does this mean? How can we fix it? We have gone through troubleshooting, unstalled and reinstalled the printer cd rom, we have unplugged the machine, turned it on and off, cleared and deleted print commands, etc.
Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thank you.
Julie Griffin

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (1/9/04 1:20 PM) + / -
The yellow arrow on the carriage is probably pointing to the replace cartridges icon. Clean the cartridge and carriage electrical contacts using a cotton swab moistened with water. If that does not cure the problem, test the cartridges in another printer. Any Deskjet 900 series printer will work. The black cartridge can be substituted into an printer that uses a 45 cartridge.

If your have cleaned the contacts and the cartridges test okay in another printer and you still get the error, consider a new printer. Buy a new Deskjet 6122 on Ebay at a significant discount. You won't be disappointed and you can also use those new cartridges you bought.

HP deskjet 940c printer by Sam (1/14/04 7:31 AM) + / -
My HP deskjet does not center the printed page.
It is always starts at (1/8 in , 1/8 in) position on the bottom left corner when I try to print on landscape mode, 8.5 in X 11 in.
Is there any way to correct the centering problem?
Any help is welcome. Thanks.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by akb (1/17/04 5:49 AM) + / -
Q1- The ink lights keeps on blinking and i replaced both the black and the coloured one but still the ink light blinks and i am not able to go beyond that stage. I tried turning it off and on but still no use.
Q2- The button marked with X to the left of the ink light what does that do??
Any ideas how to fix it.
Thanks

need manuals about refill by LANUXXAZ (1/17/04 4:40 PM) + / -
all about hp cartridges, and toner cartridges
please send me to my email links about it

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (1/17/04 4:42 PM) + / -
The DJ 940 uses 15 and 78 cartridges. Make sure that you have not installed an incorrect cartridge. If you have the correct cartridges, clean the cartridge and carriage electrical contacts with a cotton swab moistened with water. Don't assume that a cartidge has to be good if it is refilled or even new. If all else fails, test the cartridges in another printer. Any DJ 900 series will work.

The 'X' button cancels the printout.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Zane (1/19/04 7:21 AM) +1 + / -
Low/Empty Ink light stays on after new cartridges are installed. All maintenance & cleaning has been done????!!!!???

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Nathaniel (1/19/04 8:07 AM) + / -
I keep getting document failed message, but the printer does print selected material. What could be the problem? Sometimes I get new hardware installed message for my printer, can these two be related causing my problem? Please help!

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Elaine (1/21/04 8:00 PM) + / -
My printer is not printing. I replaced the black cartridge with a new one and am trying to print a Word document. The color cartridge is nearing empty but shouldn't the black print? When I changed back to the black cartridge I just removed, the printer did not print either. Before replacing the old cartridge I was getting some image, just light. Do I have to replace both cartridges in order to print black and are they dependent on one another to function? Thanks = Elaine

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (1/21/04 10:14 PM) + / -
If the printer perceives, for whatever reason, that either cartridge is not usable it will not print. Clean the cartridge and carriage electrical contacts with a cotton swab moistened with water before doing anything else. If you have the correct cartridges and your printer still shows a cartridge error with your new black cartridge installed, odds are that you have a defective color cartidge.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by dave (1/25/04 10:38 AM) + / -
My 940c is making a grinding noise on startup and shut down. I've read about alignment and belt problems. What do I need to do? I'm thinking trash it and get a new one, but I'd hate to make such a rash decision.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (1/25/04 9:19 PM) + / -
Dave
Weird, I get blank characters when I type in this reply box. Repost in another thread. Can't see what I type until I post.

parallel cable problems and xp by steve (1/26/04 9:58 AM) + / -
hi,

i have a 940c and i recently put xp on my computer. i downloaded the most current driver stuff from hp and whatnot, but when using a parallel cable i am unable to print. the computer recognizes the printer but the print jobs are not getting sent. the test page will not print, but by hitting the reset button on the printer itself a page prints fine. i borrowed a buddy's usb cable and xp recognized the printer immediately and i was able to print a basic 'hello' out of wordpad. for some reason, the info isn't getting from the cpu to the printer when i use the parallel. i really don't think i need to buy a new usb cable, but i don't really know what else to do. any ideas?

HP deskjet 940c printer by Fredde (1/27/04 5:08 AM) + / -
Hi!
If I'm beeing a stupid dumbass let me know, but here is the question:

Just reasently I bought a black printer cartridge for my deskjet 940c. But as soon as I plugged it in and turned on the printer the thing that holds the cartridges moved all the way over to the left side of the printer. And the ink lamp started blinking.

I noticed that the yellow marker (on the cartridge holder) would stop over the symbol for "broken color cartridge" if my black cartridge was installed.

When no cartridge was installed the yellow marker stoped over "broken black cartridge"

Wich leads to the (stupid?) question...
- do I have to have a color- and black cartridge in my printer in order for it work, even if I only want to print in black and white ????

Ps. I've tried to clean the cartridge

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Rudy (1/27/04 5:33 AM) + / -
HP requires that both cartridges be present and that both are making good electrical contact.

An HP will print black even if the color is low or out of ink as long as the above exists. The problem is that the empty cartridge will eventually fail altogether as the cooling effect of the inks is no longer present.

While it is probably too late to refurbish the color cartridge via a refill kit (empty cartridges clog both from within and out) you may save $$$ by purchasing a refurb/rebuilt color. A number of sites offer this cartridge as a rebuilt....google it up and check prices. One example (not an endorsement): 1800ink

Subsequent to a successful install,refill cartridges BEFORE they run out of ink by "topping" them off. That HP tri color is fairly easy to fill as the fill holes are on top of the cartridge itself. Investigate this procedure by a visit to www.printerfillingstation.com

Chose the P/N of this cartridge and click on it for illustrated refill instructions.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Anonymous (1/27/04 5:59 AM) + / -
I accidenly deleted my printer off. I can't find it anywhere but I know that it not permenantly deleted. I have a disk but it only offers help but it won't download the disk to be added. HELP

HP deskjet 940c printer by Abdul (2/5/04 2:32 AM) + / -
I recently bought 2 remanufactured colour cartridges. i tried both but neither printed red. Please can you let me know if there is anything I can do to resolve this or is it simply that the cartridges are faulty. I have tried cleaning the electrical contacts.
i appreciate your help/time.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Denny Conway (2/5/04 9:24 AM) + / -
Abdul: If you have already cleaned the electrical contacts on the cartridges, plus the contacts inside the Print Cartridge Holder Assembly, then thats really all you can do. The chances of the cartridges being faulty are high, especially on remanufactored ink cartridges and especially on refilled ink cartridges. Cartridges were not built to be refuilled and eventually simply fail, especially when the HP experation date, that is stamped on each cartridge, is way past its expiration period [6 months to a year normally]...Denny Conway

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by RLee (2/10/04 7:49 PM) + / -
i have a paper jammed in my hp deskjet 940c and cant figure out how to get it out - well, half of it has been ripped out. do i have to unscrew the casing - and how?

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (2/10/04 9:34 PM) + / -
Remove the rear access door and you should be able to remove the jam. Always remove paper jams through the rear to avoid damagimg the mechanism.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Dominic (2/21/04 4:35 AM) + / -
My 940C does not pick up the paper, regardless of how much or how little papaer is in the tray.
Whatever mechanism lifts the paper up, does not lift it high enough.
Garateful for any help

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by natasha (2/22/04 5:40 AM) + / -
my ink light is on and flashing (amber) and the yellow arrow points to the sad face with cross eyes and 3 dots on its head. wot does it mean???

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (2/22/04 9:05 PM) + / -
Dominic
Remove the rear access door and clean the feed rollers with a damp cloth. If that solves the problem, apply rubber rejuvenator as a long term fix.
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kkx3.html

Natasha
The printer perceives, for whatever reason, that the color cartridge is not usable. Clean the cartridge and carriage electrical contacts with a cotton swab moistened with water before doing anything else. If you have the correct cartridges and your printer still shows a color cartridge error, odds are that you have a defective or empty cartidge.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Hakon (3/2/04 12:40 PM) + / -
I just installed two new (HP-original) cartridges in my printer. The problem is that now the printer wont print in black, just colour.
I reinstalled my old working cartridges, only to find that the problem was still there.

HP toolbox reports both cartridges in good health and 90% ink remaining on both.

The funny thing is that when I remove the HP-printerdriver and use the incorporated win-XP driver instead i can print the black colours, but it is using the tri-colour cartridge to mix up a sort of grey-ish black. With the HP-driver the page just comes out blank.

Help anyone? Everything worked ok the minute before I replaced the cartridges.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (3/2/04 12:51 PM) + / -
Test the black cartridge in a known working DJ 900 series printer. Defective new cartridges are not unknown. I assume that you removed the protective tape from the black cartridge print nozzles.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Hakon (3/2/04 2:34 PM) + / -
Yes, protective tape was removed. But why the sudden won't the black print with my old black cartridge that still has plenty of ink in it?

I've cleaned and inspected the contact point of both printer and cartridge. No apparent problems there.

And why does the win-xp driver print the black using the color-cartridge? Does win-xp for some reason understand that something is wrong with my black cartridge?

If so, why doesnt the HP-driver do the same?

Ah..so many questions, and no answers :(

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Rudy (3/3/04 4:15 AM) + / -
Hakon....since you are dissatisfied with this forum why don't you try the HP inkjet (printer) forum(s)...they exist. Additionally, you may call HP (there is a fee involved) in an attempt to resolve your software issues.

I note you have not tried your black cartridige in another printer.

This is a printer repair forum...your printer apparently works...software is at issue.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Rudy (3/3/04 4:46 AM) + / -
The black cartridge in this 940c is the short fill #15...an inferior copy (looks identical..isn't) of the reliable 51645.

One fix would be to purchase a model 6122 printer ...a discontinued product still available new on Ebay and elsewhere for about $140 plus shipping. It uses the 51645 black. Why discontinued? Perhaps because it does not have the sophisticated electronics that prohibit the use of refilled or remanufactured cartridges.

HP margins on the ink and supplies greatly exceed those on the hardware, I suspect.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by jason (3/5/04 11:35 AM) + / -
I am selling a mint 940c printer my wife does not use it. used about 10times. for $70.00 plus shipping. black is about 50% and color is 90% FULL.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Anonymous (3/8/04 7:31 AM) + / -
Using 940c in XP, printer keeps spitting out pages at random, there is only a small black arrow in the top right hand corner of the page.
This allways happens on sign-on, then happens when I log on to AOL, or sign on to Word, Powerpoint etc..
Any suggestions?
Clive

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Denny Conway (3/8/04 9:39 AM) + / -
Anonymous: When a printer prints "jibberish" [random symbols and characters], or has communication problems, its usually caused by: #1 a bad parallel printer cable [old cable/poor quality cable: not bi-directional printer cable, or not IEEE-1284 rated cable. Inexpensive parallel cables are not usually shielded enough and are not always bi-directional]...TECH NOTE: If you are using a USB CABLE, you will usually you have less communication problems caused by a bad or corrupted USB cable, but its possible..#2 bad printer drivers: printer drivers are usually available online from EPSON and HP at no charge; remove/de-install your old printer drivers and then go online and download the newest drivers available for your printer. If you use your old CD that came with your printer, then your not getting the latest changes/updates available free from Epson or HP. There are more steps involved with correctly installing USB DRIVERS and if not done correctly can cause additional problems. Epson has in-depth information available that I can post if you let me know thru this "printer repair site"...#3 It's possible that the actual SOFTWARE you are using to do a print job from, may be causing problems [Word, Office, Excel, etc]. You can try using a different software to print from and see if your problem goes away. If it does, then you may need to have your software removed and reinstalled. It's possible that something may have corrupted it and is causing problems...#4 Its possible that internal settings on your PC may be not set correctly, but that would normally require a PC trained person to check your system and make changes [BIOS settings]...#5 Its also possible that a VIRUS can cause problems with printers. Even if you have a virus protection program installed on your PC, it has to be updated regularly to protect against possible new, or modified virus'...#6 If new drivers [free] & a new good quality printer cable [fairly inexpensive], do not cure your problem, then its probably time to have your PC/System checked for possible problems. The other thing you can try is to actually connect your printer to a different PC/System, then load the correct DRIVERS and connect your printer cable and run some print jobs. If your printer, cable and drivers work ok on a different PC/System, then you pretty much know the problem is normally in your PC/System...#7 Sometimes the Logic Board, built onto/into the printers "Main PCB/Board", just goes bad, but not very often. As a new PCB costs quite a bit, its better to put that money into a new printer, as the prices have come down so much in the last couple of years...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Anonymous (3/8/04 12:27 PM) + / -
I keep getting document failed message, but the printer does print selected material. What could be the problem? Sometimes I get new hardware installed message for my printer, can these two be related causing my problem? Please help!

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by harviewater (3/8/04 1:38 PM) + / -
i have a 932c printer without a driver. hps site lists one, and ive tried to download it numerous times. "cannot find server cannot find server."
there is of course, for 9.95 the option to buy the CD.
isn't that extortion?

any other places to get that driver?

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Denny Conway (3/8/04 2:01 PM) + / -
harviewater...Just to let you know: I just successfully downloaded the HP Deskjet Printer Driver, onto my Windows 98 Computer System, with no problems. The file was "930-enu-win9x_ME.exe(7.94 MB)". Maybe its your Computer or its Operating System thats causing the problem you are having and not HP Company. As this is actually a Printer Repair Site, you may need to get help from a Computer person, rather than a Printer Technician, if you cannot download the driver you need...Denny Conway

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by JohnC (3/11/04 9:09 AM) + / -
My printer prints only in pink! I have two full cartridges - both refilled - but no sign of black at all. I had this problem before and asked the guy in the shop to test them before I took them. They worked fine. Back at home just pink! Any suggestions

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Denny Conway (3/11/04 9:32 AM) + / -
John: First try running the "Internal HP Self-Test Pages", directly from your printer with the Printer Cable disconnected. Turn off your printer and remove the printer cable from your printer and then turn it back on. This clears out any DATA remaining from when your Computer System was connected. TO RUN A SAMPLE PAGE: Press and hold the Resume Button [paper button] until the printer starts printing, then release the Resume Button. TO RUN A SELF-TEST: Press and hold the Power Button, then press the Resume Button four times and then release the Power Button. TO RUN A DIAGNOSTIC TEST: Press and hold the Power Button, then press the "X" Button [cancel print button] eight times, then release the Power Button. All three tests should print out correctly and both the colors and blacks should look ok. If they do, then I would suggest deinstalling and removing your old Printer Drivers and then going online to HP Company and down loading new drivers. I would recommend that you try loading new Printer Drivers directly from the HP web-site, because the old drivers may have become corrupted and could be causing possible problems. First you should open your "Control Panel Utility", then open the "Add/Remove Programs", then under "Install/Uninstall", highlight and REMOVE any old Printer Drivers that may already be installed. Sometimes the same older drivers can be corrupted and conflict with newer drivers. After removing your old printers and drivers, go to the HP WEB SITE and download the latest drivers for your printer and system. You can then go to this link: " h20015.www2.hp.com " on the Hp web-site and procede to download the needed printer drivers. When the "hp customer care" page opens, look under "get support for your product"; under #1. select a task, click-on "software & driver downloads"; under #2. enter product number, type-in "DESKJET 812C" and click-on the blue arrow [enter button] and then simply follow the directions on each of the following pages, to download the latest printer drivers for your series of HP Printer...If the Internal Self-Test Pages do not print out, or the blacks and colors do not print out or look bad, then you know there is a problem in your printer or with the ink cartridges installed...Good Luck! Denny Conway...P.S. Check for an e-mail from me wityh a couple of tips, just in case your printer is not printing out the ink.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Denny Conway (3/11/04 9:43 AM) + / -
John...Follow-up to first reply: Be sure to insert your actual HP Deskjet 940 model number in place of the "812C" model that I forgot to change on the previous info that I sent to you [sorry about that]...Because you are using refilled ink cartridges, my first guess woild be that the cartridges may have actually gone bad or failed. Ink cartridges were never made to be actually refilled, but the HP cartridges usually can be refilled until eventually the expiration date stamped on the ink cartridge will pass and the cartridge can actuall shut down and not work. Theres no way to say when that shut down process will actually happen, but its usually around six months or so after the expiration date passes. If you use a magnifiying glass you can usually see that stamped date on each cartridge once you remove them...Denny Conway

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by zablo kenga mung (3/12/04 6:10 AM) + / -
the printer works fine but the only thing is that when the paper is being pulled from the paper tray upto the rollers for it to able to go to the printer head ,its just get blocked on one side and the paper comes out one side teared off or the whole paper gets jammed .please help -does it mean we need to replace the roller?

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Joe trolleyman (3/12/04 1:25 PM) + / -
I can print from my C disc and A disc drive but it will not print from the internet or my E Mail. Spent all day yesterday trying to reboot the printer using the CD that came with my 940c but still will not print. The green light to the right of the printer is constant on the other two are not. Help ASAP

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Joe trolleyman (3/12/04 1:26 PM) + / -
I can print from my C disc and A disc drive but it will not print from the internet or my E Mail. Spent all day yesterday trying to reboot the printer using the CD that came with my 940c but still will not print. The green light to the right of the printer is constant on the other two are not. Help ASAP

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Denny Conway (3/12/04 2:09 PM) + / -
Joe: I would recommend that you try running your printer as a "STAND ALONE PRINTER", not connected to a PC: Unhook the "printer cable" from the back of the printer. The power cord would still be plugged in to the wall. With paper loaded normally, turn the printer off for 10 seconds, or so. This is done to clear out any remaining DATA/INFORMATION that may still have been in the printers system, from when the PC was previously connected. Now reach over and turn the printer on as normal. The printer should come on and go to a normal READY CONDITION, with no ERROR LIGHTS on. If you get an ERROR LIGHT on, then you know you have a problem in your printer. If there are no ERROR LIGHTS on, then hold-in on the "Paper/Resume Button" [the button with the picture of a piece of paper next to it] for about 3 to 5 seconds, until the LED/LIGHT next to the button starts flashing. Release the resume/paper button once the light starts flashing. The printer starts to initialize and then it will pull in a piece of paper and print out an "Internal HP Self-Test Copy", on most HP models. If this test does not work on your particular model, then refer to your User's Guide/Manual for the available tests you can run from your printer directly, or go on-line to HP.com and try and look up that available info on your printer model...TECH NOTE: IT'S POSSIBLE THAT YOUR PRINTER MAY PRINT OUT MORE THAN ONE "SELF-TEST COPY" If YOU HAPPENED TO HOLD IN ON THE "PAPER/RESUME BUTTON" TOO LONG, BUT THATS OK...If everything is working correctly in the printers "PAPER FEED ASSEMBLY" and "CARRIAGE/CARTRIDGE ASSEMBLY", the self-test copy should be printed out and correctly fed thru the printer...AS A GENERAL RULE: If the self-test page prints out correctly, then usually your printer is working normally. This does not mean your printer may not be dirty, or have another service related problem, or even bad cartridges. It just means the printer is basically working normally as far as the internal tests go. You could run this self-test several times [just be sure], but usually if it works once it will do the same again. IF YOUR PRINTER IS WORKING OK, THEN YOUR PROBLEM WOULD NORMALLY BE IN YOUR PC: bad drivers, bad printer cable, bad software, incorrect internal settings, etc. I'm sorry, but I don't work on Computers/PC's, just on printers, so I can't really help you with those type of problems. You may need to get help from a Computer/PC Technician, rather than a Printer Technician, if you determine your problem may be in your Computer/PC System. Remember that this is actually a Printer Repair Site and not a Computer Repair Site...Denny Conway

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Anonymous (3/13/04 3:25 AM) + / -
I have a hp 940C inkjet printer . It was working until now. It printed an envelop just recently but doesn't print a letter.. I don't understand why ?

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by N (3/13/04 7:40 AM) + / -
unsubscribe

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Ina (3/13/04 6:31 PM) + / -
i lost my disk that came with the pinter...how can i get another one?

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Ina (3/13/04 6:31 PM) + / -
i lost my disk that came with the pinter...how can i get another one?

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (3/14/04 12:05 AM) + / -
Go to this web page.
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

My Printer Will NOT Turn on by Ken (3/14/04 8:41 PM) + / -
I Recently was cleaning off my printer with a damp paper towel, I ran over the power button/stop print/paper feed buttons and noticed a day later that my printer wouldn't turn on, I don't even think it is getting power. I have ripped my printer apart but have found nothing that would stop power from getting to the printer, I have tested the power cord and everything is functioning fine. ANY sugestions?

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Wes (3/14/04 10:25 PM) + / -
The switch probably got water in it when you cleaned the housing. I believe it is a micro switch soldered onto a small PC board. You may just let it sit in a warm spot for a few days to let it dry out.

Maybe Burt or Rudy or Denny may have some more suggestions.

I hope this helps.

Wes.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by kris (3/19/04 10:38 AM) + / -
I'm on a mac, system 9.0. After connecting the printer and downloading the most current driver software, the model will not appear in my chooser window. I've disconnected, reconnected, turned off, turned on but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Michel (3/20/04 5:06 AM) + / -
Why is nobody answer the problem of Julie?

Quote: Our school's 940c printer won't print. The printer cartridge light is blinking constantly. We installed new printer cartridges. When you open the printer top, the cartridges move all of way over to the left side of the printer. What does this mean? How can we fix it? We have gone through troubleshooting, unstalled and reinstalled the printer cd rom, we have unplugged the machine, turned it on and off, cleared and deleted print commands, etc.
Please let me know as soon as possible.

I got the same problem...
Let us know!

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (3/20/04 9:01 AM) + / -
Clean the cartridge and carriage electrical contacts with a cotton swab moistened with water. It is not beyond possibility that you have defective cartridges even if they are new. Go to the this web page.
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bpd09173

HP deskjet 812c printer by Anonymous (3/24/04 6:48 PM) + / -
Mechanisim Error

Print cartridge cradle cannot move.
There is no paper jam.
Any suggestions?

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (3/24/04 9:47 PM) + / -
I assume that the carriage (cradle) will not move when you open and close the cartridge access door or when you try to print, and that the printer powers up.

If the carriage is struck where it parks on the right when you are not printing, then the service station may have malfunctioned. If this is true, the only way to diagnose the particulars is to remove the case.

If the carriage is not parked to the right and refuses to move then you many have a major failure.

Give move details.

My deskjet 940c printer is having a light show by Preston Evans (3/25/04 2:33 PM) + / -
On top of the fact that this printer wont print anything but a assorted line of gibberish on the first line of a sheet and leave the rest blank... Every once in a while, the printer lights will flicker on and off like they are part of a fireworks show. Anyone have any clue as to what to do with this piece of garbage!

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Denny Conway (3/25/04 3:02 PM) + / -
Preston: That normally indicates a failing Printer Cable or corrupted Printer Drivers. GENERAL INFORMATION ON "JIBBERISH", OR "COMMUNICATION ERRORS/PROBLEMS": When a printer prints "jibberish" [random symbols and characters], or has communication problems, its usually caused by: #1 a bad parallel printer cable [old cable/poor quality cable: not bi-directional printer cable, or not IEEE-1284 rated cable. Inexpensive parallel cables are not usually shielded enough and are not always bi-directional]...TECH NOTE: If you are using a USB CABLE, you will usually you have less communication problems caused by a bad or corrupted USB cable, but its possible..#2 bad printer drivers: printer drivers are usually available online from EPSON and HP at no charge; remove/de-install your old printer drivers and then go online and download the newest drivers available for your printer. If you use your old CD that came with your printer, then your not getting the latest changes/updates available free from Epson or HP. There are more steps involved with correctly installing USB DRIVERS and if not done correctly can cause additional problems. Epson has in-depth information available that I can post if you let me know thru this "printer repair site"...#3 It's possible that the actual SOFTWARE you are using to do a print job from, may be causing problems [Word, Office, Excel, etc]. You can try using a different software to print from and see if your problem goes away. If it does, then you may need to have your software removed and reinstalled. It's possible that something may have corrupted it and is causing problems...#4 Its possible that internal settings on your PC may be not set correctly, but that would normally require a PC trained person to check your system and make changes [BIOS settings]...#5 Its also possible that a VIRUS can cause problems with printers. Even if you have a virus protection program installed on your PC, it has to be updated regularly to protect against possible new, or modified virus'...#6 If new drivers [free] & a new good quality printer cable [fairly inexpensive], do not cure your problem, then its probably time to have your PC/System checked for possible problems. The other thing you can try is to actually connect your printer to a different PC/System, then load the correct DRIVERS and connect your printer cable and run some print jobs. If your printer, cable and drivers work ok on a different PC/System, then you pretty much know the problem is normally in your PC/System...#7 Sometimes the Logic Board, built onto/into the printers "Main PCB/Board", just goes bad, but not very often. As a new PCB costs quite a bit, its better to put that money into a new printer, as the prices have come down so much in the last couple of years...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (3/25/04 3:12 PM) + / -
Preston
If your printer has failed, buying another HP may seem like a bad idea but some models have a good track record. A search of this site will reveal very few problems associated with the DJ 6122. It can be had new on eBay at bargain prices and will allow you to recycle the cartridges from your DJ 940. The DJ 6122 uses the 45 black cartridge but will accept the lower capacity 15 cartridge. I do not recommend models that use the low capacity 56 and 57 cartridge set unless you have cash to burn. Avoid the under $100 models regardless of which manufacturer you choose.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Ron (3/25/04 6:20 PM) + / -
When printing a document the paper slides in the machine and the page is crooked when finished.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (3/25/04 10:21 PM) + / -
Remove the rear access door and clean the feed rollers with a damp cloth. If that solves the problem, apply rubber rejuvenator as a long term fix.
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kkx3.html

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Ron (3/26/04 9:01 AM) + / -
Thanks so much I will give it a try.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Anonymous (3/26/04 7:41 PM) + / -
For unknown reasons, my printer just started printing pages quite slowly. ANy ideas on the cause?

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (3/26/04 8:42 PM) + / -
This web page may be helpful.
h20015.www2.hp.com

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Ciaran (4/5/04 11:55 AM) + / -
my power light is on but the printer does not respond at all. When i turn the printer on and off it makes no noise whatsoever. If i try to print a test page i have to hold the cancel and resume buttons down otherwise it stops printing and it doesn't respond to any word documents i send to print. help me!

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Ky Bob (4/13/04 8:00 AM) + / -
Lets just face it. The 940c is a horrible, inferior product that HP will not stand behind or even offer a good support web page as it will tell the world how bad this printer really is. I have owned and tossed two - one I could never fix to keep it from paper jamming and the other would sporatically recognize new cartridges for a while and then say they were out of ink. Cleaned contacts repeatedly, etc. but in the end only wasted $75 on ink cartridges that the printer would not recognize - yet no mention of this on HP's support site and I know it is a big problem. I wish someone made a good inkjet printer.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Kyle Hocking (4/13/04 5:02 PM) + / -
My printer head may be plugged because my printer only prints out the color pink. I tried cleaning the cartridge and replacing the cartridge but no luck. Can you tell me how to clean and unplug my plugged heads???!!!

Kyle Hocking

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Denny Conway (4/13/04 5:35 PM) + / -
Kyle: On your HP Printer, when you are replacing the ink cartridges, you are also replacing the print heads, because they are actually part of the cartridge. Its of course possible that you may have an actual Hardware/Parts Failure in your printer, a wrong cartridge, a bad cartridge, an expired cartridge [check the age date on the cartridge or the box it came in], or sometimes even that the pull tape was not removed correctly off a new ink cartridge that was recently installed. Your 940C uses a HP15 [#C6615AN] black cartridge and a HP78 [#C6578AN OR C6578DN] color cartridge. The only way to really eliminate a possible bad cartridge [even if it happens to be a new cartridge], is to actually replace it, or test it in another printer that uses the same cartridge and was working ok with its own cartridges installed. Unfortunatly, that is usually not practical, unless you know someone that has the same printer or uses the same cartridge in their printer. Its more likely that the electrical contacts on the ink cartridge, or inside the Print Cartridge Holder Assembly, may simply be dirty. Try cleaning all the electrical contacts, carefully and gently, with Distilled Water on Q-Tips or on a lint free rag. With your printer turned on as normal, simply open the Top Cover and the Print Cartridge Holder Assembly will move over to around the center position. With the print cartridge holder assembly in the approximate center position, simply unplug the power cord from the back or side of the printer. That holder assy will now easily slide back and forth by hand and you can easily remove the cartridges for cleaning. Using damp Q-tips [not wet or dripping], gently and carefully wipe off the copper colored electrical plates on the cartridges and the electrical contacts inside the holder assy. Its best to use "Distilled Water", because it has less chemicals and minerals in it, than tap water and regular tap water can actually cause additional problems. Use new dry Q-Tips to dry off all the electrical contacts after cleaning and prior to reinstalling the ink cartridges...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Leslie (4/15/04 10:19 PM) + / -
Hey everyone,
I seem to have the same problem with some of you. I have two HPdeskjets940c and both have the same problem. they were working fine today and had no problems. Then...I unplugded them while they were still on. Now they both have the cartidge problem. they blink a dark yellow light. I tried cleaning both of the contacts. One stops with the arrow on the black cartidge and the other stops with the problem on the color one. They have new cartidges in them, like I said they were working fine earlier. I don't know what to do.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Sue Hess (4/16/04 11:29 AM) + / -
Any ideas why my printer has stopped printing .jpg files and/or text boxes? It prints .bmp and .gif files just fine. I'm not sure how to even start troubleshooting this. Up until this point, it's worked just fine. Actually, it's been a champ. No problems. Thanks for your help.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by leslie (4/16/04 4:07 PM) + / -
Good news. I cleaned the contacts again on one of my printers and it is working now. I don't know what is wrong with the other one still.

re;epson c42 plus by JIM C (4/17/04 8:58 AM) + / -
my printer won't print the carriage doesn't move and makes a whirring sound if I try using printer

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Lee (4/17/04 10:59 AM) + / -
Sue Hess...

Me thinks this is a software issue rather than a printer issue.

>>.jpg files and/or text boxes? <<

What software program are you using to print these items? Did they work before?

What changes, if any, have you made to your software and or printer?

Have you tried printing jepgs from any other program? If not try one from you browser by clicking on the link below and then <File> <Print>. Let us know the results.

Try this link and tell us the results. LEE

http://home.earthlink.net/~thefortumc/2002uk/0707ness/ness1.jpeg

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Lee (4/17/04 11:00 AM) + / -
Sue Hess...

Me thinks this is a software issue rather than a printer issue.

>>.jpg files and/or text boxes? <<

What software program are you using to print these items? Did they work before?

What changes, if any, have you made to your software and or printer?

Have you tried printing jepgs from any other program? If not try one from you browser by clicking on the link below and then <File> <Print>. Let us know the results.

Try this link and tell us the results. LEE

http://home.earthlink.net/~thefortumc/2002uk/0707ness/ness1.jpeg

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Kyle Hocking (4/19/04 2:39 PM) + / -
My printer still prints out the color pink and theres no way to get rid of it. I tried your suggestions denny but so far no luck!!!???

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Denny Conway (4/19/04 5:57 PM) + / -
Kyle: You might want to deinstall and remove your old printer drivers and then go on-line to HP.COM and download the latest drivers. That will eliminate the possibility of corrupted or bad drivers causing a possible problem and printer drivers are free. First you should open your "Control Panel Utility", then open the "Add/Remove Programs", then under "Install/Uninstall", highlight and REMOVE any old Printer Drivers that may already be installed. Sometimes the same older drivers can be corrupted and conflict with newer drivers. After removing your old printers and drivers, go to the HP WEB SITE and download the latest drivers for your printer and system. You can then go to this link: " h20015.www2.hp.com " on the Hp web-site and procede to download the needed printer drivers. When the "hp customer care" page opens, look under "get support for your product"; under #1. select a task, click-on "software & driver downloads"; under #2. enter product number, type-in "DESKJET 812C" and click-on the blue arrow [enter button] and then simply follow the directions on each of the following pages, to download the latest printer drivers for your series of HP Printer...If that does not help, then you are simply going to have to eliminate possible problems. Did you actually check the expiration date on the cartridges? Did you actually try a new color ink cartridge? The chances of an actual bad cartridge are very high. AGAIN: The only way to really eliminate a possible bad cartridge [even if it happens to be a new cartridge], is to actually replace it, or test it in another printer that uses the same cartridge and was working ok with its own cartridges installed. If a new color cartridge does not help, then I would guess that you may actually have a Hardware/Parts problem, but no way to really know...Denny Conway

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Angie (4/25/04 9:21 AM) + / -
My printer will not print I can not get it to print a test page The printer still shows in My control panel I can not find my software to fix my problem Help!

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Bert (4/25/04 10:38 PM) + / -
Go to this web page to get the driver.
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by burubdukas (4/26/04 5:52 AM) + / -
my printer was cratered from 9 house windows but its ok and printing no problems

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Fred (4/27/04 1:15 PM) + / -
Using mac os 9.2.2. Printmonitor prompts "print queue is stopped", displays red stop sign w/ hand. All connections ok, reinstalled driver, test print works, checked all connections. The print jobs go as far as he print monitor. Thanks for your help.
Fred

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer will not center text by Anonymous (11/6/05 11:20 AM) + / -
Hello Sam,
I am having the same problem I scan text that is centered on scan set up but it does not print text to the center, do you have any answers

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Anonymous (1/4/06 7:34 PM) + / -
i have aproblem ireplaced my printer cartridges with hp ink black /colorthen i started taking prints but they came out black somebody in my family turned it on black prints now i dont know what to do because my printer wont work. anne

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by hpwizard (1/5/06 4:04 AM) + / -
You need to change the setting in printer properties. START/ SETTINGS/ PRINTERS/ Right click on your printer, select PROPERTIES, select PRINT OPTIONS etc make sure you select "print in colour" or something similar. If you have XP you can access printers & faxes through CONTROL PANEL. Remember even if you change the setting here you may still need to change it in the programme you are trying to print from. ie. If you are printing from say, paint, Go to FILE/ PRINT, when the window with your printer details comes up check that print properties are set correctly here as well.
Good luck?!
Dazz UK

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Tybeerius (3/8/06 1:21 PM) + / -
The alignment is off. When I print up the alignment page I can find one that is perfect in A, C and D but not B. there is not one that is even close in B. The makes the print fuzzy.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Poppy (4/26/06 2:54 PM) + / -
Can someone help me.
My printer does not print the whole page, it misses about 2ins. at the bottom of the page

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer - ink level indicator by Mary Nelson (5/31/06 8:07 AM) + / -
I am trying to check the ink in my cartridges. I follow the instructions to go to Program, HP 940 printer, etc. but do not have a line "Toolbox". Apparently someone "hid" this but I don't know how to retrieve it. I used to be able to R click when printer icon appeared but this doesn't work anymore. How do I get something to come up so I can check my ink levels?

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Rise (6/7/06 6:35 AM) + / -
My printer was working fine. I tried to print from Quicken and all of the lights started flashing at the same time. I pressed the power button and the lights quit blinking for a minute. I tried printing from word and all of the lights started blinking. I disconnected and reconnected the cable, restarted the computer and even unplugged everything overnight. As soon as I turned the computer on in the morning, all the lights started blinking again. The carriage is stuck to the right and will not move manually. Any ideas? Thanks!

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Rise (6/7/06 6:49 AM) + / -
Right after I posted by 6:35 message, I plugged the printer back in and tried it again. It printed from Word but when I went to print from Quicken all of the lights started flickering again. I turned it off and on and tried to print from Word and it printed just fine. Tried Quicken again and all of the lights came on again.

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by buck43 (8/12/06 3:43 PM) + / -
I accidentally bought #45 black cartridges, opened one, and put it in before realizing that I needed a 15. Anyway, cant return them now, obviously the printer wont recognize them. Is there any way to physically remove the ink from the 45s and put it into the 15? Otherwise they will be on ebay shortly if anyone is interested.

thanks

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Mark Miner (9/18/06 7:23 AM) + / -
Well, here's the deal.
I just did my first ink cartridge refill on my friends 940c.
All went smoothly.
In trying to print, now, what happens is that BLACK INK DOES APPEAR in pictures, but BLACK INK DOES NOT APPEAR IN TEXT PRINTING.
If the "text" is part of an image, as it is in the "hp invent" logo at the bottom of the test page, then it prints.
text from text files does not print.
So I know the ink cartridge is working.
Color continues to work fine.
Any ideas?
---Mark

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by hpwizard (9/18/06 2:55 PM) + / -
Often with Inkjet printers, in a text/image print it uses the colours to create black. Therefore in a text only print it will use the black. If the black is not functioning... there is your answer. . .
Dazz UK

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Anonymous (10/14/06 9:02 AM) + / -
When I want to print a program or card, I turn the printer on and the light keeps blinking and then the red light keeps blinking and when I try to print, all I get is oneline garbage on several pages and it just won;t print anywhing.

Can you help mw? Would appreciate anything you can do to get it to pring.

Helen

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Stephen (10/14/06 6:07 PM) + / -
Helen,

Either it wont print anything, or it prints, but not what you expect.

Your description of the problem has conflicting statements, so I don't know what advice to give you.

It doesn't help matters that the printer does not have any red light, just green and amber, (yellow) lights, so if you told us which lights were doing what it would also be of help.

Maybe the following documents on HP's web site will be of help to you in giving a coherent description of your printers problem.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com

http://h10025.www1.hp.com

HP deskjet 940c printer by ConfusedKid (11/12/06 9:09 PM) + / -
The printer is printing out symbols i.e happy faces diamonds and accented letters. I just bought a 2-pack black ink #15 for it also. Before ink was added, the printer printed out fine. Please respond with my problem for my teachers thinks "my printer is broken" excuse is useless now. :(

Re: HP deskjet 940c printer by Stephen (11/13/06 5:23 PM) + / -
ConfusedKid,

Here's some things to try:

Push the cancel job button on the printer, it may be trying to print starting from the middle of something.

Open the printer folder and see if there are any extra printers installed, then see if there are any jobs pending for those printers, if you have extra printers installed the wrong one can get set as a default printer, and that will cause printing of funny characters. (start, settings, printers to open folder, or maybe just start, printers and faxes)

ST

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters