fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP Deskjet 3320, optical wheel fell off!

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP Deskjet 3320, optical wheel fell off! by Robert (10/11/03 9:47 PM) reply + / -
Hey all:

I have an HP Deskjet 3320, which despite being a cheap printer and all, suits my purposes for the most part.

I'm aware of the optical sensor on the print head (it moves left and right to determine its position on this strip) -- There's also a gear on the left side (paper pickup assembly) with a clear plastic wheel (marked like a clock) glued to the outside of this gear.... anyway, this wheel moves through an infrared sensor much like an optical mouse's scroll wheel does.

This little marked wheel fell off!! (not enough glue?) and thats all thats wrong with the printer! :-)

So it doesnt' know the position of the paper pickup assembly, d'oh!

I figure I need to move the print head all the way to the right (is that where it normally parks?) and then rotate the paper pickup assembly gear all the way counterclockwise (or towards the back if youre looking at the front) to reset/re-align the assembly.

Problem is, I dont know what number on the "clock" should be pointing straight up? it doesnt seem to be 12:00 unless I have the above procedures wrong.

This is such a simple/silly issue that could be resolved with a dab of glue (more than HP used, heh) -- so I'd hate to trash the printer over this :)

Anyone run into this or know of a link for a schematic? Thanks!

Re: HP Deskjet 3320, optical wheel fell off! by Bert (10/11/03 10:21 PM) reply + / -
I suspect that if those numbers you speak of have any real siginificance, that once the encoder disk is reattached the printer will calibrate automatically. It seems likely to me that because of the cost of your printer, that HP has produced something that is assembled "snap, pop, slam," and power up with few if any mechanical adjustments needed.

If you are not bold enough to make such assumptions, perhaps there is some glue residue that will give you a clue as to the original position of the disk.

Let us know how things turn out.

Re: HP Deskjet 3320, optical wheel fell off! by riotboy (10/12/03 2:42 PM) reply + / -
well, I tried a few positions already.

The paper pickup (roller) assembly has two claws on it... the ink head slams into those (as they tend to end up in the upright position) and the printer makes a rather unpleasant noise which has made me hesitant to experiment further :)

The disk is not only labeled 1 - 12:00, but theres a black dot on it which passes through a "U" shaped optoluctor... there's one red XMIT IR shining into a clear RCV IR (labelled C8941-A-54).

I assume the printer is supposed to know that its clear of those "claws" and can send the ink assembly across the printer's track.... based on when that black dot passes through the optoluctor and momentarily blocks the beam (garage door openers use an almost identical mechanism to determine if the door is moving freely, oddly enough!)

If it gets misaligned, it is mu understanding that its supposed to reset itself using these sensors (and the one on the print head itself). The problem is im not sure where to align the dot (at 12:00) with relation to the roller mechanism.

I suppose I could figure this out in 12 tries thanks to the process of elimination (grin) but its slamming into those claws pretty hard and could do something ugly :)

-R

Re: HP Deskjet 3320, optical wheel fell off! by Anonymous (10/12/03 4:49 PM) reply + / -
I have a hp 3820 deskjet. the problem is that it doen't pull the paper through. We checked both sides to see why it's not pulling /one side looks like there's a small letch with a sm. spring connected to it. it's near the front by the door, but the right side lookslike there is no spring at all. Can that be fixed? or do I have to send it in to get fixed? Worried

Re: HP Deskjet 3320, optical wheel fell off! by Anonymous (10/12/03 4:49 PM) reply + / -
I have a hp 3820 deskjet. the problem is that it doen't pull the paper through. We checked both sides to see why it's not pulling /one side looks like there's a small letch with a sm. spring connected to it. it's near the front by the door, but the right side lookslike there is no spring at all. Can that be fixed? or do I have to send it in to get fixed? Worried

Re: HP Deskjet 3320, optical wheel fell off! by Bert (10/12/03 10:54 PM) reply + / -
I don't want to seem unkind folks, but you got what you paid for, a cheap printer. Without even looking I'm pretty certain that HP is not selling parts for them other than their skimpily filled cartridges. I've never had one in the shop so I'm zero help concerning their quirks. I don't advise buying printers that cost about the same as replacing their cartridges. If they are not under warranty, trash them and get one of the better made older models or a new Deskjet 6122.

Re: HP Deskjet 3320, optical wheel fell off! by Robert (10/12/03 11:47 PM) reply + / -
Indeed. This one came with the computer, probably as more of an afterthought than anything else.

I have an HPLJ 4050TN, I just use this one on the extremely rare occasion that I print in color... so hey if this question sits for weeks or months or whatever until someone who has run across one of these points me in the right direction: I have a big workbench, lots of half-finished projects, and I can deal with that :-)

Given that it's as simple of a fix as gluing a plastic wheel back onto a gear, I don't see myself throwing the entire printer into the garbage.... If it were anything more complicated (or expensive) than that, I wouldn't hesitate to toss it, as it is what it is!

Thanks for the advice, Bert. You're totally right that for the most part, this device is *not* worth investing a lot of time or money in!

-R

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters