fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Brother MFC

Post a new message thread

Brother MFC by Bert (3/10/03 11:43 AM) +8 + / -
I hava a Brother MFC 7300c pritner. I have replaced the black ink cart. twice and LCD still says 'Black ink empty', the other colors are fine. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem?
Does anyone know where I can get a service manual for this printer, thanks.

Re: Brother MFC by roger (3/11/03 11:42 AM) +7 + / -
Did you try replacing the printhead. That is usually the problem. these are also supply items.

Re: Brother MFC by D67 (3/11/03 1:39 PM) + / -
Did you choose replace ink by pressing the ink managment button?

Re: Brother MFC by Steve D (3/15/03 7:13 PM) + / -
I am having the identical problem with a 9200C. Any tips/clues would be appreciated.

Re: Brother MFC by Steve D (3/15/03 7:13 PM) + / -
I am having the identical problem with a 9200C. Any tips/clues would be appreciated.

Re: Brother MFC by David P (3/14/05 9:28 AM) + / -
The BLACK INK EMPTY message was giving me problems in my Brother MFC-7300c but I did find a solution on the internet some time ago. Black electrical tape was the answer and itís because the tape is BLACK. Even if I put black tape on an empty cartage the printer will still try to print.

The tape goes on the side of the cartage that faces the back of the printer (where the sensor must be). I was even able to refill a back cartage and reuse it. I don't think this will work with the color cartridges but the printer will still print with empty color cartridges anyhow.

Re: Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (5/6/05 4:20 PM) + / -
David, How were you able to refill the cartridges of the MFC? I have the ink kit but have been unable to figure out how to get into the cartridge and replug it. Also did you put colored electrical tape on the color cartridges? I have a MFC 5440 cn.

Re: Re: Re: Brother MFC by RickC (5/18/05 7:33 AM) + / -
Go to printerfillingstation.com then click on your brother cartridege filling instruction. Use electrical tape to seal off the hole on the bottom of the cartridge to stop ink from coming out while you fill from the top. Brother printheads are very easily clogged with air bubbles so there is very high risk that refilling ink will damage your printhead. It is not worth it to save money on ink and wind up with danmaged or totaly nonfunctional printheads.

Re: Brother MFC by O.B. (5/23/05 11:38 PM) + / -
Anyone having ink problems with the MFC 5840CN?
The manual says the cartridges are supposed to have a "small amount" of ink in them when the "replace ink" message blinks. But mine are still about 1/3 full, and the printer refuses to do ANYTHING until they are replaced! What a waste. Any electrical tape tricks or something similar for this brand?

Re: Brother MFC by mamajenn (6/1/05 2:47 AM) + / -
The best way to save with this printer is to unplug it after use. According to a repair shop owner in our hometown who sells all brands, he advised me to turn off the printer after you have finished all work for the day. Consider printing everything needed at one time since the brother is the only printer that uses the continuous cleaning method instead of the wipe method. The brother method cleans our wallets while it is cleaning the machine. In other words, periodically whether the printer has been used or not, it goes into a cleaning mode and each time it cleans it siphons out ink. Also, according to this repairman owner, the brother will not recognize any other ink or cartridges except their brand and if you put in another brand or refill, you can ruin the unit and void the warranty. I have owned three other brother printers, the ole roll ink type and never had a problem. Boy do I regret purchasing this printer. My ink cartridges are about 1/2 full and show they are empty and of course you have to purchase more cartridges. I am considering tossing this machine and buying something more consummer friendly. All I can say is pass the info along so others will be aware of the brother ethics. Jen

Re: Brother MFC by ggc (6/1/05 11:19 AM) +1 + / -
brother is more honest than HP. No matter what type of brother machine you buy, you always get separate inkt cartridges. they are also a lot cheaper than HP's, because the print head stays in the printer.

I know brother had some issues with their printheads a while ago. but in my country (belgium) every machine known with print head problem received a free repair (transport, work time en repair pieces incl). even people who had the repair already done and got initially charged for it, got their money back. and that last bit , i know far a fact.

My MFC-590, gave me an error code 41 after about a 1 1/2, took it to the repairshop, and was shocked by the cost of the repair, but went ahead with it anyway. when it came back, it was nicely cleaned (inside and outside) but it was up and running smoothly again, seemed faster even ? Months later i received a notice from the post office that there was a package for me. Brother gave me free inkcartridges for the total cost of the repair.

So it didnt cost me anything in the end, and my machine had gotten a cleaning for free as well :). till now everything is still working fine.

Hp's slogan is Invent
Brother slogan is At YOUR side

I rest my case.

Re: Brother MFC by kenny (6/16/05 7:22 PM) -1 + / -
just purchased used, a brother mfc 7300c. can anyone help me get it set up to receive faxes, (it sends them fine). AND/OR does anyone have an owners manual they can part with? i don't have a lot of $ but i do live in Whistler bc and can arrange many things here. coming out to whistler? have a manual? need free lift tickets? something else? thanks all, regards, kenny.

Re: Brother MFC7300c by waleska (10/18/05 8:28 AM) + / -
Does anyone know where can I purchase the print head unit for the MFC 7300cF?

Re: Brother MFC 4820c by Anonymous (10/30/05 11:56 AM) +4 + / -
I have brother4820c and it will not recognise that i have replaced the cartrages , with brother cartrages i might add all i get is ink empty blk cyn yel meg pls open cover, and the machine is just frozen you cant do a manual head clean and wont connect to the computer.
What is that suppost to mean i have had the machine for 18 monthes and this will only be the third time i have replaced the cartrages not exactly a hard life can anyone help me with this peice of crap
I mean expensive peice of crap it was £200 nicker

Yours
another pissed of never to buy brother again customer.

Re: Brother MFC by tibbs1966 (10/30/05 5:05 PM) + / -
Did you go throught the ink menu? If not the machine will not know the cartridges were replaced.

Re: Brother MFC by Bland Parker (11/24/05 8:57 AM) + / -
how do i change cartriges on my mfc7300c

Re: Brother MFC by Frazzled (12/16/05 8:37 PM) +2 + / -
We have been trying to replace the ink cartridges in our brother printer (DCP-110) unsuccessfully.
We have managed to replace the black with some luck but we it still says that the cyan and magenta are empty.
We have tried many many times in different ways but have had no luck.
please help
(P.S. I might add that they are refilled cartridges- but remember the black worked)

Re: Brother MFC 3820cn by buzzsawkid (12/22/05 8:45 PM) +16 + / -
My red ink stopped printing even though it is not empty and I purchsed a new cartridge and it still doesn't work. I have run the cleaning routine several times to no avail. Does anyone know how to repair or clean the printheads without bringing it in to service?

Re: Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (12/28/05 4:57 PM) +3 + / -
Woo Hoo, your trick WORKED with my 7400c. I have been using compatibles and it wouldn't even recognize and clean the damn thins now it's drinking ink like it's supposed to. Thanks so much!I don't have to buy a printer after all. I love you!

Re: Brother MFC by disneynut (1/19/06 9:32 PM) +1 + / -
Its very sad that Brothers has this error 41 problem on almost all of their newer printers they make. I like my MFC-3820CN. It was a good MFC printer. I got about 1.5 years out of my printer before I got error 41. My only other problem with this printer is everything is dead if a tank runs out of ink.

Just in case any of you buy the replacement head for the brothers printer. You will need to setup the new print head in maintenence. The head comes with install prints only. No setup info.

The EEPROM Code that I saw on this site is not the code for setting up the new head. Code 82 is a location you can go to read the list of running errors. If you don't have any errors it will read "ERROR 00" I am in the process of finding the setup data and list of EEPROM codes. If I do find it I will pass it on.

P.S
Did a lot of reseach on other brand MFC and they have a list of problems too. But not as bad as this one. I will keep it running but will never buy another printer made by Brothers.

Brother MFC 7220 by Neeraj Aggarwal (1/20/06 12:56 AM) +2 + / -
Hi All,

I am very new to this forum but i really liked the effort.

Anyways, I shall be grateful if any of you please solve my problem.

I recently bought a Brother MFC 7220 printer. While i was just trying to set up this newly purchased printer, its display is contstantly showing "Please Wait" message.

I tried to power on-off the printer several times, reloaded the paper etc but to no use.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Neeraj Aggarwal

Re: Re: Brother MFC 3820cn by Anonymous (1/29/06 10:54 AM) + / -
I have the same problem with my MFC 3220c. The red ink will not print, no matter how many times it's cleaned, or changed. Please reply if you get an answer on cleaning! Thanks.
PS - I bought a dell for regular printing - will only use the Brother for faxing or copies. It's too much work and upkeep.

Re: Brother MFC (ink) by O.B. (1/29/06 6:58 PM) + / -
Well, I played around with it for a bit and found something which works -- sometimes.
If you take the Brother ink cartridges (mine is a 5840CN) and tip them sideways so the ink rests on the "window" side (which the machine views to know how much is left). Hold it there for a few seconds and then install the cartridge and close the machine quickly it will SOMETIMES be tricked into thinking the cartridge is full. But only sometimes. Sometimes shaking the cartridge a bit (so the ink is full of bubbles) works, but I don't like that method in case it gets air into the print head. And again, it doesn't work all the time.
I used to use the trick with black electrical tape on our older 3000-series printer, but it doesn't work with this one.
*sigh*
Doesn't ANY company make a good printer which doesn't cheat you?

Re: Re: Brother MFC (ink) by Anonymous (1/30/06 8:14 AM) +1 + / -
I have an MFC 5440CN. LC-47 Cartridges. Possibly the same cartridges as yours...

I refilled my black cartridge when it was only half used. Some time after refilling the cartridge it was always saying black ink was nearly empty. I think it does this by keeping track of how much ink is used for printing. There was still LOTS of ink.

A new cartridge made no difference and the printer didn't seem to recognise that the black cartridge had been removed.

Just for fun I pulled the old cartridge apart. I found that the LC47 cartridge has a small float that moves a "flag" up and down inside a "window" on the front of the cartridge. The "window" fits inside a slot in the printer. When the cartridge is nearly empty, the float drops causing the "flag" to lift above the window. The sensor inside the printer says that the cartridge is empty and refuses to print. Placing some opaque tape (any colour!) over the window will trick the printer into thinking there is still ink in the cartridge.

Eventually I removed the Power Cord for a few seconds to give a full reset. The printer then decided to work correctly and now will detect that the black cartridge has been removed and ask if it had been replaced.

At least I know how the cartridges work now ;-)

Re: Brother MFC420CN by henzmimi (2/19/06 9:01 AM) -1 + / -
I have a little MFC420CN combination copy/fax/scan which has given me great service until yesterday. It showed a paper jam. I removed the paper (all intact-no shreds) and regardless of what I do--unplugging, taking all the steps for about fifteen times--it continues to read paper jam open scanner cover. HELP can anyone tell me what to do? I am just short of throwing it in the trash and really don't want to do that since I have about a year's supply of ink for it.

Re: Re: Brother MFC420CN by Anonymous (2/19/06 3:49 PM) + / -
Just guessing, if it has a recirculating document feeder, perhaps it is some dust stuck in the paper sensor inside the scanner. A blast of air may clear it? Best of luck!

Re: Brother MFC 3820cn by webberpl (3/2/06 5:38 AM) + / -
I have the same problem with my red-ink not printing. Were you able to find a solution wihtout taking it in for service?
Thanks!

Re: Re: Brother MFC420CN by Anonymous (3/3/06 1:57 AM) + / -
Does the print head attempt to move ????? if it doesnt move at all and is maybe stuck to left side, the re could be 2 things wrong. 1. the drive motor has a belt that moves head back and forth, this has come off. you will need to dismantle to does this. 2, sometimes a piece of paper is stuck near the head sensor, once again u will need to dismantle. Take a look. hope this sheds some light on your prob. also check rear paper output this cover can be removed .

Re: Re: Brother MFC 4820c by anonymous2 (3/6/06 4:52 PM) + / -
I know!!!!

I used to have the motha of all crappy brothers... an MFC 7300c.

The frickin thing wouldnt print well- it had terrible white lines all over what it printed and on the last year i had it, it had a software bug that completely destroyed it.

i completly kno wat youre talking about...

Re: Re: Re: Brother MFC420CN by Anonymous (3/16/06 6:18 PM) + / -
The print head moves. Where is the head sensor located and how do I go about dismantling--from the bottom? Thanks

Re: Brother MFC-210c by tzippy (3/19/06 12:07 PM) +6 + / -
I have the Brother MFC-210C and I have the same problem. The LCD window shows "Ink Empty Cyan" and the cartridge is new. Help!

Re: Brother MFC by moondanger (3/19/06 12:25 PM) + / -
How does this work for MFC 4420? The ink cartridge in question is LC25C.

Re: Re: Brother MFC-210c by Anonymous (3/24/06 1:08 PM) + / -
I have Brother 420cn. All I did was to unplug the machine and counted to 20 make sure the buffers were clear. After that it worked fine. I kind of like the way the one who posted the info about using with the black tape thinks. There is such a thing as electrical phasing tape. Its like black tape but comes in various colors. If I were faced with your problem I would try going to Home Depot or othr electrical supply store and buying a small roll of yellow phasing tape and put it on the side of where the print head sensor is ( I think he said that faces toward the rear of the printer, this was in an earlier post above) this deceives the printer into thinking that there is ink and thus it prints. I have never done this and am not so sure ifit would work. Also, if used without too long it will ultimately cause failure of the print head.

Anyway,

Good luck!

Mike

Re: Brother MFC by amentii (3/28/06 11:20 PM) + / -
Nice.

I stuck black electrical tape to the side of my cartridge and it worked just fine. Thanks! It was NOT going to work before that -- at all.

Re: Brother MFC by LakeShadow (3/29/06 6:57 PM) +2 + / -
I have the same problem henzmimi....my MFC 210c says that paper is stuck but its not....Ive unpluggged it and it helped but the problem reoccur a week later and now its not working anymore

Re: Brother MFC4420C by lisabfab40 (3/30/06 5:38 AM) -1 + / -
my printer wont print anything in black i have all new ink cartridges in and have cleaned it several times sometimes it will print the color but not always does anyone know what could be the problem?

Re: Brother MFC by ECWhite25 (4/11/06 5:14 AM) +6 + / -
I have a Brother MFC 5440CN that is stuck in a continual self cleaning mode but then claims to be unable to clean and directs me to the trouble shooting section of my manual. Of course nothing that I got out of the manual has corrected the problem. Because of it's constant attempts to self clean I have gone through 2 ink cartridges in every color during the few weeks that I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with it without it having actually printed anything during that time.

Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (4/11/06 6:01 PM) +1 + / -
With your MFC powered up, open it up and remove the cartridge you are having a problem with, then close the MFC, leaving it powered up. It should report that there is no cartridge in the machine.

Still with the MFC powered up, open it up and reinsert the ink cartridge, then close the MFC. It should either ask if you have replaced a cartridge or go into its cleaning mode.

I have a Brother MFC 420CN that I was having constant problems with the black cartridge. I had tried three different cartridges, two refilled and one new one. After several attempts trying to get the 420 to recognize the new cartridge or one of the older ones, I did what I have suggested above, and my 420 recognized the cartridge I had put in as a new replacement.

I just refilled all four of my ink cartridges (04/11/06) and followed the above procedure and my 420 now shows that all four cartridges are new replacements will full ink levels in all of them.

Hope this helps someone else who has been as frustrated as I have been.

Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (4/15/06 6:35 AM) + / -
I have a MFC210C. Said blk in out. Bought ink and replaced. Next said yellow low but would print for a few days. Now yellow low. Bought yellow and installed. Keeps saysing no cart. or low . I took out other cartrige to see if I was doing something wrong. Then started saying no cart. or low to all of them. Blk and yellow are new. Also took back cover off before to clear paper jam. Can't figure how to put back on. Can anyone help?

Re: Brother MFC by screamingforvengeanc (4/15/06 3:04 PM) + / -
unable to clean = machine dead, hope its in warranty

no cartridge - unplug it, plug it back in after a minute, check the lcd message then for the ink thats empty, usually blue

near empty yellow = unplug, take out all the cartridges, turn it on with the cover open, put them in in the order the screen prompts you, when you put in a certain color and it still tells you to install that color, try another cart, if you get the same thing, machines dead

Re: Brother MFC by jjkp7 (4/17/06 6:32 PM) +5 + / -
my brother mfc 210c says unable to clean but yet it can do copy functions in both colour and black doesnt this seem strange. why cant it print then? any ideas would be appreciated

jp

Re: Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (4/23/06 9:48 PM) + / -
Thank you, I tried your open cover ink replacement suggestion. I had to throw away a couple of half full ink catridges but I got it to run. Well worth the extra ink. Thanks again

Re: Brother MFC by MaryNH (4/25/06 4:06 PM) +1 + / -
Does anyone know if the black electrical tape trick will work with the ink cartridges for the MFC-420-CN?

I have tried to find the reflective silvery matrix on these new ink cartridges, but no luck -- they seem to be invisible!

Apologies if this post appears twice -- I am new at this, and obviously a bit unsure how to post!

Brother MFC 210C by robospeed (4/28/06 12:10 AM) + / -
After at least 20 cleaning procedures, 210C still does not print at all, no colors no b/w! Seems all is clogged up. So I try to get access to printhead to soak in water. After dismantling the whole top of the 210 there is the head, a black box with the inkpipes attached. It stops here because I have no idea how to take the thing off. No screws - nothing.

Any ideas?

P.S. Repair shop wants $ 75.--/hour. Way out for a printer which costs new only around $ 100.-- incl. new cartridges.

Re: Brother MFC by deno (4/28/06 10:35 PM) + / -
hi guys I m new to this forum too.I have MFC 7220 from BROTHEr and I have a black and white color cartridge.I was wondering if i could replace it with a color cartridge , and if at all there is any color cartridge available for brother mfc laser 7220 .reply plz if u have any idea regarding this
Thanks

Re: Brother MFC ink cartridge empty problem by Anonymous (4/29/06 7:41 AM) + / -
I have just had the same problem with a Brother MFC 410CN with Yellow. I replaced the ink cardtridge but it still should up as empty on the printer menu. I discovered this link http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/8962 to a web site which gave instructions on what to do in this case. I followed these instructions and if rectified the problem.

Re: Brother MFC 210C by Anonymous (5/1/06 6:57 AM) + / -
Do not disconnect the tubes which are linked to where the cartridges are. Remove the printhead and the cartridge container as a unit. The ribbon cables have to be unplugged from the circuit board. Disconnect the belt. Now you should be able to take the printhead out and wash it.

Re: Brother MFC by KAlice (5/1/06 2:21 PM) + / -
Thank GOD for this forum. It helped me. Through a combination of unplugging and such, I did manage to get my MFC-5440 to recognize the black ink cartridge and all the other ones, too. Too bad about this issue but thanks, all!

Re: Brother MFC by KAlice (5/1/06 2:26 PM) + / -
P.S. I can't completely diss my Brother printer. We have printed thousands of copies of a booklet that we sell and make beaucoup bucks off of this product that the printer creates. We have worked the Brother printer to the max, and despite problems, it keeps on going and going. We're also able to use off-brand cartridges which save a lot of money. This printer was well worth the price, when we consider how much we've made off of it. The MFC 5440CN, which has flatbed scanner, fax and color printer, was only about $100.

Re: Brother MFC-210c by GeoPatMass (5/3/06 3:30 PM) + / -
Great site! First, we are very impressed for what you get for the $$$ in the 210c-- great if you don't have a large FAX volume and nice quality prints for cheep$$$ if you maximize the settings.

Two questions to toss out there:
1. I refill my cartriges-- any tips or cautions? I usually simply drill a small hole in the black plastic top, inject the ink and cover with a tape dot. Seems to work fine.
2. I'm getting streaky blue in prints.. the test print displays missing blue dots, After multiple cleaning runs (5 or 6) there is no improvement. Anybody help? Thank you. I wish all products had focused and up-to-date sites.

Re: Brother MFC by FesteringMachine (5/8/06 10:04 AM) + / -
THANK YOU!!!
I stumbled on this message board moment before this festering Brother DCO-117C was about to become airbourne without a safety net! I too replaced a black ink cartridge only to be told 'Low Ink' and to have the black printout refuse to join in. I replaced the cartridge THREE times with brand new (ok...non-Brother) cartridges, but each time it still maintatined there was no black ink. I just followed the advice of several people here and using a black permanent marker coloured every inch of the non-black cartidge exterior and IT WORKS!! WOO HOO!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!

Re: Brother MFC by BillyDz (5/8/06 9:46 PM) + / -
I bought a 5440CN a few months ago and just got my first message that the black ink needs to be replaced. I'm going to try the tape trick described in this forum. My question is: once the tape is low, how to tell when the ink really is low? I've read that if the ink runs out the printhead will get damaged.

Re: Brother MFC by palmchick (5/10/06 8:06 AM) + / -
Looking for info on 7300C...bought used. Seller assured me it worked. Bought new ink. Ink now stuck to left side. Kept getting open cover message. Nothing happens. I tried to reset and replace ink and I get the number 5. I'm trying to locate book online and look for that error code. Just wondering if anyone has an immediate suggestion?

Re: Brother MFC by Gentray (5/18/06 5:04 PM) + / -
I am in need of a replacement brother MFC 7300C installation disk
can anyone assist me in replacing the instalation disk.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 210C by Anonymous (5/23/06 11:13 PM) + / -
Thanks. Unfortunately still no improvement after soaking in water. Arizona is obviously too dry for the MFC 210C

Re: Brother MFC by OhBrother210c (5/26/06 10:53 PM) +1 + / -
I have a MFC-210C and bought brand new inks for the system, and the colors are printing fine. However, the black is not. Any ideas to remedy the situation?
Thanks!

Re: Re: Brother MFC - Ink Detection Explained by tibbs1966 (5/29/06 12:22 PM) + / -
The answer is not so simple. The system uses a combination of sensors and counters to track ink consumption.

When you install a new cartridge, following the steps outlined in the owners manual, two counters (called dot & sensor) are set to zero. As the unit prints the machine counts the dots fired, multiplies this by the ink volume of each drop and subtracts it from the known volume of the cartridge. This is used to display the current ink status in each cartridge.

When the ink volume drops to a certain point, a sensor (either a physical actuator or a reflected IR beam) detects it. The unit then displays "Near Empty...(color)" and the sensor counter begins counting drops. Once the sensor count reaches it's limit the unit indicates "Ink Empty...(color)" and halts operation to prevent drawing air into the head and damaging it.

When refill or aftermarket supplies are used many things can happen, most of them bad.

There is no way to refill the unit to it's exact original volume. So the ink counters will usually be wrong.

There is no way to know the quality or formulation (viscosity, pH, etc...) all of which effect print head life and print quality.

The specific gravity or reflectivity of the ink may not trigger the ink empty sensor. Many aftermarket cartridges solve this by just defeating the sensor entierly. Thus ensuring that the head draws air.

Me, I just think it's a better solution to use genuine consumables.

But then again, what do I know.

Re: Re: Re: Brother MFC - Ink Detection Explained by Anonymous (5/30/06 6:48 PM) + / -
You seem to be knowledgeable. Any way to bypass the colour cartridges and just print on black?

Re: Brother MFC by decker1016 (6/1/06 10:02 AM) + / -

I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion for me on my brother mfc-3220c. all inks are working and printing except magenta. I replaced it w/ a new cartridge and cleaned it several times but nothing. I called the 1-800 number but akk they told me was that it was out of warranty and I would have to pay to have it looked at and fixed. any ideas?????

Re: Re: Brother MFC by tibbs1966 (6/2/06 6:55 AM) + / -
Are you using Brother ink?

If not, go get a genuine Brother Magenta ink cartridge.

1. Using the ink menu install the cartridge as outlined in the owners manual. This will result in a test sheet being printed.
2. Evaluate the test print. If it's OK you're done.
3. If not run the cleaning cycle for the magenta cartridge.
4. Print another test print.
5. Go to step 2.
6. Repeat this process up to 6 times.

If the color is still no good let the unit sit overnight. (~12 hours) This will allow any air in the manifold to be reabsorbed in into the liquid ink.

7. Purge and run the test print up to 3 more times.

If, after all this, the magenta still is not printing well then the head will need to be replaced.

Hope that process helps. I know it's a pain but it recovers the head about 70% of the time.

Re: Open cover close cover replacement works by Anonymous (6/5/06 9:19 PM) +1 + / -
The guy who suggested that we keep the machine on
take the old cartridge out, then close the cover
while keeping the machine on. And then, open the cover
and insert the cartridge has found the hack that works
for the MFC 420CN to recognize a falsely flagged near empty
cartridge.

The only difference in my setup was that the machine did not recognize that the cartridge was missing when I closed the cover
the first time.

Other than that, when I restarted the printer after closing the cover the second time, the ink was reading as full after a clean process. The other option as the guy mentioned is the printer will ask you whether or not you have replaced the cartridge, to which you should reply YES of course - and then it will read full.

I didn't try the electric tape trick, but I suppose with this
hack there's no need to blind the printer from seeing any ink window.

Re: Re: Re: Brother MFC - Ink Detection Explained by Anonymous (6/11/06 10:59 AM) + / -
IMO Brother (and most other outfits) supplies poor quality "User's Guides." But me, the electronics type, KNOWS that working on equipment that's plugged into the mains is a big NO-NO, right? Well, not in this case! When I CAREFULLY read page 11-24 there's repeated reference to monitoring the "LCD." The GUIDE doesn't tell you, but the machine has to be ON. Otherwise, how can you can follow the prompts on the LCD?

I've been using this procedure for almost two years wihout a problem: With the machine ON, open the scanner cover. Run the INK test. Remove the cartridge(s) indicated as NEAR EMPTY. LCD sez close the cover. LCD sez open the cover. Install the missing cartridge(s) in the order indicated on the LCD. Close the cover and follow any further prompts on the LCD.

Some MFC-210C machines may have slightly different firmware, so you may have to experiment. That's how I came upon this procedure, after being given the royal run-around from Brother's "wreck support."

Re: Brother MFC by samran (6/12/06 8:52 PM) +2 + / -
I just bought Brother MFC 210 C 1 year ago. Other color printed fine but black ink did not come out eventhough I tried to test print several times and changed new cartilage. Anyone can help me, please?
Samran

Re: Brother MFC by bahoruco123456 (6/14/06 8:50 AM) + / -
I have a brother MFC3220, I have recently refill the color cartriges but the printer only recognize the magenta, the yellow one, and the blue one it looks empty too.

How can i fix it or only print in with the black one.

Re: Brother MFC Reset Ink Cartridge by Anonymous (6/19/06 11:04 AM) + / -
I have a Brother MFC420CN which from time to time gave me an error message that my ink cartridge was empty when I had just installed a new, full cartridge. I found that by taking the cartridge out while the printer is on, closing the cover, reopening the cover, reinstalling the cartridge and again closing the cover would reset the machine to recognize the new, full cartridge. Sometimes the printer will go into its cleaning mode automatically, sometimes it will ask if I have installed a new cartridge. This works on the color cartridges as well as the black one.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN by tonispinone (6/19/06 11:34 AM) +4 + / -
The colored inks all print fine but the black is blurry. You can read what is printed but it is fuzzy. When doing a test printing there are missing lines on the black test pattern (dolored are all fine). I've done the 5 rounds of cleaning and it is no better at all. Is there a way to clean the print head? I can't even figure out how to get to it.

Re: Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (6/20/06 1:32 PM) + / -
I just want to again thank SFV for telling us all how to do the turn off, open cover, turn on and follow LCD directions trick when it is reading that a cartridge is empty but it is not. It finally fixed my MFC420CN. One thing I did have to do was after I went through the process, it still didn't work, and I had to turn it off and wait 1 min. and then turn it on again.

I think I now know what MFC stands for in the printer name.

THANK YOU SFV!!! May lots of good happenings befall you. And thank you to the creators of this site.

Re: Brother MFC 4420c by bmnr (6/20/06 5:01 PM) +1 + / -
Hi there,
I have replaced all my cartridges and now for some reason all of them work except LC25C CYAN (BLUE) There is absolutely no ink coming out. I have test printed many times. I have cleaned many times. Nothing works. Please help!

Re: Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (6/21/06 5:15 AM) + / -
What is the error code 41? My brother mfc 7400c is coming up with that code and we have no owners manual.

Re: Brother MFC by hpwizard (6/21/06 5:27 AM) + / -
Not good I am afraid, error 41 is printhead error. This can sometimes be resolved by turning off for a while but Brother actually extended the warranty on some models due to this problem occuring frequently. It might be worth giving them a call if it is fairly newish & you cannot clear it yourself. If you search "brother error 41" on this site you will see what I mean about this problem. It is well documented.
Dazz UK

Re: Brother MFC by nobrotherskeeper (6/21/06 10:48 PM) + / -
MFC-210C
How do I just print in black- no color?
Do each of the colors(cyan, magenta, blue) and black need to be replaced for just the black to print?
When trying to print, I get nothing...word does not even recognize my printer!
Do those non-Brother cartridges really work??

Please help!!!!!

Re: Brother MFC by EvelynE (6/22/06 1:36 AM) +4 + / -
My brother printer keeps coming up with 'Unable to print' even though I have replace all the ink cartridges. I checked through the whole printer but unable to find any debris or obstructions which according to the manual is the cause of that message.
I'm in dire strait, please can anybody help me!!!

Re: Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (6/23/06 10:26 AM) + / -
YES - THEY ALL NEED TO BE FULL IN ORDER TO PRINT

Re: Brother MFC Error 41 by Anonymous (6/23/06 7:12 PM) + / -
What does error 41 mean?

Re: Brother MFC refill insructions for blk mfc420c by scottwcook (6/26/06 4:26 PM) + / -
where do you refill cartrige and what refill ink works best?

Re: Brother MFC by k-man (6/27/06 10:14 PM) + / -
Use liquid paper on the LC47M cartridges - either side of the black 'flag' fin will do the trick. Our 620C hasn't printed a single god-damn colour page and yet all three cartridges suddenly need replacing. What a crock.

Photo of the inside of the MFC 620 (no changes required)
http://i69.photobucket.com

Photo comparison of full/empty cartridges + one with liquid paper:
http://i69.photobucket.com

(apologies for fuzzy images - it was just a Nokia camera-phone)

Has anyone been able to get this or any of the other MFC models to receive faxes straight onto the network via its ethernet connection? Brother's Sales Support promised it could, but don't want to hear from me after I paid, of course.

- K.

Re: Brother MFC by hpwizard (6/28/06 7:16 AM) + / -
"What does error 41 mean?" DOH!!!!
Read the rest of the thread for goodness sakes!!

Re: Brother hl2040 by sarita (6/29/06 5:51 PM) + / -
Out of paper light goes on, cannot print. Yes, it is set to letter and full of Quality paper ! It is 2 months old !! PLEEESE help !

Re: Re: Re: Brother MFC 3820cn by Anonymous (7/2/06 11:10 PM) +1 + / -
I had the same problem with my MFC 3220C and Brother tech told me it was most likely a bad print head. They refered me to a local authorized repair shop and was told it would cost approximately $75 for parts plus labor. If anyone knows where to purchase a new print head and how to install & set up I would appreciate it? Also, have not confirmed yet, I read that Brother had so many problems with Error 41 that they have extended the warrenty on certain models to three years. Is this true for the MFC 3220C?

Re: Re: Brother MFC 4820c by Anonymous (7/7/06 5:45 PM) + / -
I am having the same issue! Called Brother & they said that there is nothing I can do. Were you able to resolve it? Thanks.
I agree, now I regret buying the machine!

Re: Brother MFC by sg (7/10/06 8:57 PM) +1 + / -
can anyone please tell me why a print head is considered as a consumable? i got an extended 2 year warranty on the brother mfc5100c and the customer service rep told me it was a consumable hence cannot be repaired unless you pay for it!

MFC-210 by EHass40062 (7/16/06 11:20 PM) + / -
I have an MFC-210C. I have used aftermarket ink, and my magenta won't print. How do I get the print head out so I can clean it?

Re: Brother MFC by EHass40062 (7/16/06 11:28 PM) + / -
Any service manuals for MFC-210C? Tight budget. prefer download. Thanks.

Re: Brother MFC 3420C by btongnet (7/17/06 9:51 PM) +1 + / -
How to solove the ERROR-41, any one have a service manual for the printer head interfacing.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Brother MFC - Ink Detection Explai by Anonymous (7/26/06 9:52 AM) + / -
Yeah! If you want your mfc to run as a simple b/w copy and faxmachine, have a look at this:

http://www.enderlin-direkt.com/news/faq_longprint.html#longprint_genb1

Understanding the inkcardrige:

http://www.enderlin-direkt.com/news/faq_brother.html#lc900

Hope you'll understand the language, but if not the pictures tell more than (foreign)words ;-)

Re: Brother MFC by mfc210c-eric (7/29/06 3:22 PM) + / -
A solution:

The MFC210c cartidges have a level sensor thats mechanical. It floats on the ink when the cartridge is full but falls when it becomes empty. If you look carefully (especially at the yellow cartridge) you can see this sensor floating.

The level of the cartirdge is read on the section of the cartidge that protrudes oddly. If you look at the slot where the cartridge goes you can see that piece slides into a slot. This is aparantly where the reader is.

I've found that you need to obscure the little mechanical arm from the sensor in order to get the printer to ignore the ink level and just get to printing. You can do this with some whiteout. Just coat the protruding section (less might do but I did the whole thing), let it dry thourally and then install the cartridge.

These printers have a secondary method of determining ink usage and thats to ask the user when the ink was refilled. While it might run-out before the printer knows I'd suggest just replacing all the cartridges, painting their test area and reinstalling them; then tell the printer that you replaced the cartridge (it'll ask you on the LCD screen).

This, of course, doesn't mean the cartridges are full and that you'll be successful in printing but it will trick the printer into ignoring that, say, cyan is out when all you really want to do is print in black.

Re: Brother MFC 3420c by mystic1408 (7/30/06 12:38 AM) + / -
I have a brother MFC 3420c that i cant seem to get the colour right on it. I havnt used the machine that much, so it is still in new condition. But since i have changed the in cartridges, it doesnt seem to print the right colours. Test page shows the cyan to be black and the magneta to be yellow/orange. Things seem to look very redish when printing photos etc.
I have run it through the cleaning process HEAPS, and have got the bicycle pump onto it to give it a good blow out. Still cant help.
Does anyone have a manual that will help me pull it apart to clean it thoughroughly
THanks?

Re: Brother MFC 210c (LC900) Ink problem by Anonymous (7/30/06 6:26 AM) + / -
Here you have an information about a problem that might occur to several owners of printers with the LC900 cartridge system:

(Note: The original text is german and has been translated by that extra prog SYSTRAN given to me by Brother dcp 115c ;-))

I had have the problem that the colors cyan and Magenta of one day on the other no more to have printed.
By the maintenance menu sent me brother service days ago and referred this no success there brought it to a service partner.

This exchanged the print head after an error tracing.
Today I fetched and at home again developed the equipment.
Had first a test side printed and determined the cyan partly does not function, thus to cleaning run with following test side. Then everything was correct so I put my refilled cartridges in it again began.

Already cyan and Magenta did not print again. Also repeated cleaning did not bring improvement. Before all that was interressant both colors on the paper was not at all printed, thus not only strip o.a.

Now I replaced the original cartridges, started cleaning run and accomplished a test print. Afterwards Magenta did not go again however to cyan yet (cyan made problems after the repair also first).

Afterwards I removed and regarded the cartridges more exactly. Here I stated that the valve of the ventilation with all cartridges those did not print were completely imprinted (also with the originals cyan cartridge!), with all other conditions the valve forwards.

Now I have thought I look at myself this times exactly and my cyan cartridge emptied and then completely into its components divided. It noticed to me that the valve consists of two parts. The first part is a soft rubber plug (probably thought as seal) and the second part is a hard plastic bar in the soft plug is let in.

With the cartridge concerned this bar was pressed however behind the plug and was there gotten jammed.

After I had taken the plug carefully out of the cartridges could I recognize exactly by getting jammed this bar the valve am ALWAYS closed. Thus apparently no air can penetrate no ink into the cartridge and thus also into the printer run.

I inserted then the bar again correctly into the soft plug and put both again into the cartridge.

After a cleaning run the test side functioned immediately.

Now I have all other cartridges exactly the same treated and already functioned these also again.

I do not understand why with refilled cartridges the problem am, since I drilled a hole with these into the cover and thus always air can flow, in addition, with these cartridges it functioned afterwards.

One should empty the cartridges before the treatment however urgently, there otherwise the whole ink from the opening runs and gives a real Sauerei.

Perhaps someone has the same problem and could test whether it after the repair valve again functioned.

;-)

The original text:
http://www.enderlin-direkt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2842

Cartridge pics:

Re: Brother MFC 210c (LC900) Ink problem by Anonymous (7/30/06 6:29 AM) + / -
Here you have an information about a problem that might occur to several owners of printers with the LC900 cartridge system:

(Note: The original text is german and has been translated by that extra prog SYSTRAN given to me by Brother dcp 115c ;-))

I had have the problem that the colors cyan and Magenta of one day on the other no more to have printed.
By the maintenance menu sent me brother service days ago and referred this no success there brought it to a service partner.

This exchanged the print head after an error tracing.
Today I fetched and at home again developed the equipment.
Had first a test side printed and determined the cyan partly does not function, thus to cleaning run with following test side. Then everything was correct so I put my refilled cartridges in it again began.

Already cyan and Magenta did not print again. Also repeated cleaning did not bring improvement. Before all that was interressant both colors on the paper was not at all printed, thus not only strip o.a.

Now I replaced the original cartridges, started cleaning run and accomplished a test print. Afterwards Magenta did not go again however to cyan yet (cyan made problems after the repair also first).

Afterwards I removed and regarded the cartridges more exactly. Here I stated that the valve of the ventilation with all cartridges those did not print were completely imprinted (also with the originals cyan cartridge!), with all other conditions the valve forwards.

Now I have thought I look at myself this times exactly and my cyan cartridge emptied and then completely into its components divided. It noticed to me that the valve consists of two parts. The first part is a soft rubber plug (probably thought as seal) and the second part is a hard plastic bar in the soft plug is let in.

With the cartridge concerned this bar was pressed however behind the plug and was there gotten jammed.

After I had taken the plug carefully out of the cartridges could I recognize exactly by getting jammed this bar the valve am ALWAYS closed. Thus apparently no air can penetrate no ink into the cartridge and thus also into the printer run.

I inserted then the bar again correctly into the soft plug and put both again into the cartridge.

After a cleaning run the test side functioned immediately.

Now I have all other cartridges exactly the same treated and already functioned these also again.

I do not understand why with refilled cartridges the problem am, since I drilled a hole with these into the cover and thus always air can flow, in addition, with these cartridges it functioned afterwards.

One should empty the cartridges before the treatment however urgently, there otherwise the whole ink from the opening runs and gives a real Sauerei.

Perhaps someone has the same problem and could test whether it after the repair valve again functioned.

;-)

The original text:
http://www.enderlin-direkt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2842

Cartridge pics:

Re: Brother MFC by Mickeyten (7/30/06 7:39 AM) + / -
I have the usual printhead problem for my MFC-5100c. I've tried all of the cleaning methods, and I'm reluctant to spend $40 or more just to see if the thing will work.

I can get an old MFC-4350 for parts. Will the printhead be the same?

Mickey

Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (7/30/06 6:37 PM) + / -
for the mfc 210 c ...you can use tape for the black, but you can also use the sticker that comes on the colored ones for the color cartridge...just peal it off the side (carefully) and put it on the front....where the clear part is that faces the right of the printer

...thanks everyone

Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (7/30/06 8:23 PM) + / -
I have a Brother MFC 9200c. Its been decent color printer although my Canon i860 crushes it in quality and an excellent fax and copier. It scans really well too but man it goes through ink just sitting there doing nothing it seems. Oh and buying refill kits YUCK what a mess. Anyhow id this normal? Its getting expensive with cartridges for it. Also anyone have a fix for color quality. Its just washed out and grainy.

Re: Brother MFC power by Tsha (8/8/06 6:18 PM) + / -
Hello,
I have a 210C which will not power up. I've tried plugging an un-plugging power cord, reinstalling software, taking all the print cart. out and acting as if new, but still no power. The machine acts as if not plugged in nothing, zilch. Can anyone help or should I carry it to the curb?

Thank you in advance!!
Tsha

Re: Brother MFC 3220 by jja (8/9/06 6:02 AM) + / -
I took all the ink cartridges out to buy new ones. Now the carriage wont come to center for me to install the new cartridges. It just stays to the far left and is not accessible. Anyone know how to get this baby to center for the install of cartridges? I have followed Brothers procedure for installing cartridges and it wont respond. I think maybe I should not have taken all of the cartridges out at the same time and left the holder empty? Gotta be a way to get it to center so i can put new ones in. Any help appreciated.

Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (8/9/06 11:34 PM) + / -
lcd message cover open pls close cover.

I have tried opening and closing but message stays on screen

can anyone help

Re: Brother MFC by Jhon (8/13/06 1:29 PM) + / -
hi guys, i'm new here. i'm using dcp120 and that electrical tape stuff worked for me, and i realized the black isn't that empty yet after all. actually, i have no black tape so i just used a black art paper sticker.

I wonder if this can work for the other colors.

Re: Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (8/15/06 11:41 AM) + / -
use print preferences, click the "color management" tab, change to greyscale, click OK, should be all you need to do

Re: Brother MFC 9200 C by rwg (8/26/06 11:46 AM) + / -
The machine has a Doc. Jam but I've not been able to find any paper in the rolls

Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (8/27/06 1:31 PM) + / -
For the brother MFC 210c When it says low ink click purchase ink, then go to print jobs and click clear, this should make your print jobs go back to 0 thus reseting the job counter the that printer relies on.

Re: Brother MFC by Tom K (8/27/06 6:22 PM) + / -
I don't know if this will help anyone, but a new 210C firmware from 8/17/2006, version "L", says:
Corrected "NEAR EMPTY" message from remaining after cartridge has been replaced
It is available at http://www.brother.com

Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (8/28/06 5:43 PM) + / -
Allow me to take this opportunity to say the Brother MFC-7300C is crap. It's supposed to do everything which is how they suckered me in. What it is is an oversized, overpriced telephone with sub-par printing abilities at best. It guzzles expensive ink like a camel drinks water. Getting the printing heads completely clean is impossible. And I'm tired of fighting with it. It's going to the basement until the next time somebody is collecting old computer junk. One of the worst computer related purchases I've ever made.

Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (9/11/06 2:01 PM) + / -
It is a frustrating issue making me wish I had never bought the darn printer! It worked great at first, but after a year (and the warrenty expiration) I get the blasted CAN'T CLEAN message!

I can finally resolve the issue after repowering the printer, removing and reinserting all of the ink cartridges and removing the paper tray and reinserting it. I do all three before it will restart and do the self-cleaning bit, which is a pain in the ###.

Re: Brother MFC by k-man (9/11/06 5:24 PM) + / -
Definitely one of the most annoying print/MFC devices I've ever worked with - and I've worked with many in the computer and laser printing industry.

To add to all of the printer cartridge misery (read above - cartridges not really empty; not printing until new Brother cartridges purchased, etc), I to add that -

All of the driver and bundled software is far below standard - they'd probably be sufficient if we were still running Windows 3.1, but are years away from the professional standards of Windows XP and Windows 2003. I doubt they've even heard of Windows Vista. Their website makes obtaining software updates confusing and unclear - and if you stumble across an actual file to download, you won't be usre whether you're actually getting a newer version (hint: you probably aren't, because it hasn't been updated - the same download has just renamed a few times in different areas on their site).

The USB connection keeps getting 'lost' - to an untouched Windows PC (a decent laptop whose sole job is to receive faxes from the Brother MFC via USB). After troubleshooting everything in Windows (they have about three different status and control-center type applications, none of which can run at the same time as the other two), the blunt solution of pulling the power cable out of the fax machine and putting it back in got it working again: thankfully saving faxes to memory works [score 1 out of 100].

There is a LAN connection which might be more reliable, but don't hold your breath: you can't receive faxes using it.

Maybe the ultra-top-end model from Brother has had more attention and quality-assurance paid to it, but the entire mid- and lower- end of their faxing and MFC solutions are trash and best avoided.

Re: Brother MFC by wheels_99 (9/17/06 6:00 AM) + / -
I have the 420CN and I was using aftermarket ink. I let the black run right out and when I went to change it, it kept saying that the black was low and never recognized that I was putting in a new cartridge. I tried unplugging it for a few minutes, removing the cartridge, closing the cover, etc and it always thought I had a "near empty" black cartridge.

I finally got it to work by cleaning up the cartridge again (as I had been doing unsuccessfully) and then taking a toothpick to put down into the print nozzle hole on the printer. I let that soak up some of the ink in there while it was powered down for a few minutes. Then, I powered it back on with no ink in it and it prompted me for the new ink. I cleaned the cartridges and it prints like a champ again!

Re: Brother MFC 420 CN No power by joley (10/1/06 3:52 PM) +3 + / -
Hi everyone
I'm new to this forum. I have mfc 420cn scan, print, copy and fax a year ago work find until the last 2 weeks no power on, unplugging it for a few minutes and plug it back no power on after few seconds it make a noise like tackkkkkkkkk all the way.
Can anyone out there please help,or any suggestion.

Thank

Re: Brother MFC-210C by Johnobrams (10/2/06 12:35 AM) + / -
I am very happy for this forum, it has solved many problems & I believe mine will not be different.
I have a Brother MFC-210C printer which is working fine until My former computer packed up. I bought a laptop COMPAQ ARMADA E500 & I discovered the Installation CD-ROM & MANUAL of MFC-210C lost after I had moved apartment.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT TO GET THE INSTALATION CD-ROM OR WHERE TO DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE FOR INSTALLATION.
Please your kind help will be appreciated, because I still love my PRINTER.
Thanks in ADVANCE

Re: Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (10/4/06 11:03 PM) + / -
i got mfc4420c,changed yellow, shows low level, almost ampty, took it out, cloused cover- then just folow instraction on lcd, good lack.

Re: Brother MFC green scanns by matthewyax (10/6/06 2:09 AM) + / -
hello all there.... looks like most ppl are genarly satisifies with this piece of hardware... well here my problem...

I CAN'T SCAN COLOR!!! i can, but it is nasty green
if i scan capture to card it comes out fine.
copying is fine, and printing is fine...
just scaning to pc... ITS GREEN!!!!

if anyone has any ideas plz let me know... Matthew.yax@gmail.com i'll give you a free gmail account if you help me

Re: Brother MFC ink problem by Anonymous (10/7/06 8:47 PM) + / -
I had a MFC-3820CN that I was generally happy about except for the ink usage. I found this forum and tried the black electrical tape trick and it worked well. BEWARE!! You won't be able to tell if your ink run dry and if so it may clog your printhead. That's what happened to me and it cost so much to replace the printhead that I decided to get a new MFC. If your printer still works well but just consumes too much ink, I suggest you refill with bottled ink regularly instead of using electrical tape. I know many people would rather use cheaper 3rd party ink cartridges and not have to deal with the hassle of refilling ink. But you should avoid letting the ink completely run out.

I now have the MFC-5840CN and refill the ink cartridge using bottled ink. This printer use LC-41 cartridges. Printer filling station's instruction allow 2 ways to refill the cartridge. I first tried the one refilling from the ink hole so that I don't have to bother with drilling the hole. My experience is that it didn't work and I ended up drilling a hold according to the second method. It works fine.

In the last few days I see the warning that my ink is near empty. So I decide to refill early. But I find that the ink near empty warning still doesn't go away. I read about the brother Q&A and you are supposed to tell the printer that you replaced the cartridge. Since I got ahead of myself and refilled before it asked me to replace the cartridge, I am now stuck with the near empty warning. I guess I have to wait until other colors are empty and refill them so that I can say I replaced this one as well. But if anyone else know how else to readjust the ink volume, please let me know.

Re: Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (10/13/06 2:40 AM) + / -
I have the same problem, Please help, what is the go and how can this be fixed ?

Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (10/13/06 2:32 PM) + / -
See her how to refill in an elegant way:

(LC-900 is the same cart as LC-41)

Ignore the nearly empty warning in future and print until the printer stops printing (splashscreen: INK (b/w or col.) EMPTY)

Refill the cart for which the printer has stopped (ONLY THIS ONE! DO NOT REFILL THE OTHER ONES!!!) and close cover of the mfc. When asked NEW CART? press YES. Thats it! Indicator shows full cart!

Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (10/13/06 2:42 PM) + / -
Sorry,

haven't mentioned that you can leave the carts in future in the printer for refill(Yes! You don't have to take them out;-))after you have drilled a hole in the word BROTHER upon the cartridgetop. (See link above)

Re: Brother MFC 210 cartridges by tjl (10/14/06 3:25 PM) +2 + / -
Nursed my MFC 210 through a full year by refilling cartridges with bulk ink. That was great, but eventually the print quality got poor, and cyan wouldn't print at all. Tried flushing the cyan line with a cartridge of isopropyl alcohol, but that didn't work. Then I read about cleaning the print head by sliding a damp cloth underneath it. Boy, that really removed a lot of gunk. But afterwards, I got the message 'Unable to Clean'. Opened things up & noticed a bubble in the cyan tube between cartridge & print head. Maybe it's like the 'vapor lock' that cars used to get before electric fuel pumps. Anyway, I'm giving up and looking for an all-in-one laser with a low profile, but haven't seen one that includes fax function.

Re: Brother MFC (paper jam) by fzgambo (10/14/06 10:10 PM) + / -
I have a Brother MC210. I had a paperjam, removed all paper and iam still getting the error. How do I fix it?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Brother MFC - Ink Detection Explained by Anonymous (10/16/06 4:46 PM) + / -
The point about raising the lid, removing the empty or near empty cartridges, then closing the lid, then again raising the lid, installing the cartridges, then closing the lid again is the ONLY way I could get my MFC420CN to get the INK LEVEL INDICATORS to read correctly.
Unless this procedure is followed, the printer will not recognize that the cartridges have been changed!!!
I tried the procedure as outlined in the operators manual on page 11-24 repeatedly with no success until I followed the hint sunmitted by Anonymous. Thanks a bunch, I was one of those ready to throw it away!!!
With regard to replacement inks, I have used inks from INKJETS.COM and so far have not had any trouble with them. They are about half price of Brother's inks.

Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (10/16/06 10:04 PM) + / -
please , i need the soft to instal brother-MFC-3220C
thanks
ciprian

Re: Brother MFC by kuby (10/17/06 5:24 AM) + / -
drivers are downloaded here...

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com

Re: Re: Brother MFC 3420c by Anonymous (10/22/06 11:27 AM) + / -
Check the order of the cartridges. They should be from left to right: Black, blue, Cyan and Magenta.

Re: Re: Brother MFC420CN by Anonymous (10/23/06 1:52 AM) + / -
I had this problem on my MFC620CN. It was repaired under warranty by replacing the printhead. Sounds strange but the problem has gone.

Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (10/28/06 9:33 PM) + / -
You can find some answers if you go to Brothers Website. In the Long Address BAr, type in Brother International and click on Search or Go whatever option you have. CLick on the Country you live in and follow the directions. Such as you have to choose your Brother Model Type after you find it. And choose if it's just a Fax machine or a multi machine. You should also see contact numbers for telephone and their Fax number

Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (10/30/06 4:46 PM) + / -
Hi Guys,

I had similar trouble with color cartridges (half-full) and even changed the black one. I use only black to print on the 420CN. The way to fix thiss problem is to go through the menu on the printer itself and do a "factory reset" and then reinstall your software drivers afterwards. Everything comes back to normal.

Re: Brother MFC-210-C Print Head by milehigh (11/1/06 6:02 AM) + / -
I need to remove my print head and try to clean it. Got the unit taken apart with tubing and electrical connection removed from the print head and I don't know what to do next to remove it. Can anyone help me. Thank you.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN by Jeslyn (11/2/06 11:32 AM) + / -
Hi there, I've downloaded the drivers and installed the software for the Brother MFC 420CN. The printer works fine when I'm printing a file without colour, but even though the ink levels are fine, files with colour will not print. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Brother MFC - Ink Detection Explai by Anonymous (11/3/06 1:54 PM) + / -
THIS WORKED! I have the MFC 420CN. This did not work for me at first, but after covering the existing black paper on the cartridge with ELECTRICAL TAPE, then doing the open scanner cover, test, remove cartridge, close cover, open, insert new, close...
it finally recognized my new ink. It then took two extra cleanings to get the ink to print. What a mess.
Thank you everyone for posting!
edit: my 3 color cartridges have black on the left-side of the center thing. the Black had to have the tape on the Right side. The cartridge that I purchased, which is a Brother brand, had the black paper on the left. I am now going back to the generic brands I used to get off the internet.

Re: Brother MFC 9200C by popeye (11/5/06 1:45 PM) + / -
My black output is as fuzzy as someone earlier reported, while the color output is good. Has anyone tried refilling a cartridge with alcohol or some other cleaning fluid and then "printing"?

Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (11/5/06 2:33 PM) + / -
We run two MFC-210 printers in our office. Both are good values for the dollar. One failed within the warranty period and Brother replaced it without a problem. I've found that refilling the cartridges is more trouble (and mess) than it's worth. Instead, we buy generics from one of two online vendors and by using their promotions, are able to use new 100% compatible cartridges for about the price of refilling the old ones without the risk of damaging the printer. In regards to the empty ink level message; we found that the easiest way to reset it is to 1) open the printer. 2) remove the offending cartridge. 3) shut off the printer while leaving the printer lid open. 4) reinstall the ink cartridge when prompted on the display 5) shut the cover 6) input the code number for "yes, cartridge replaced" when prompted. The ink level will be reset to full and the printer will self clean.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Brother MFC 3820cn by fillboyd (11/6/06 5:00 PM) + / -
I know this is probably too late for you Anonymous but thought I would post it anyway.

I faced the "error 41" dilemma recently and received the same advice from Brother. The local repair shop quoted $90 to replace the head so I decided to experiment figuring if I killed it , I would just buy something new. The first time, I took out the head and dipped a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol. I rubbed over the print pad with 4-5 Q-tips, until they stopped coming back black. I re-installed the head and at least could fax and scan even though I still had the Error 41 message. Second time, I took out the head and put about 1/8 inch of rubbing alcohol in a shallow dish. I set the printer pad in the dish and let it soak for about 20 minutes. It turned the alcohol black. I dumped the alcohol and repeated the process one more time. I dried the head and re-installed. The Error 41 message went away and I have been printing normally for about a week.

Hope this helps others.

Re: Brother MFC by yanethvillarreal (11/7/06 3:11 PM) + / -
my magenta ink is empty and wont let me even in print on black

Re: Re: Brother MFC-210c by rknik (11/18/06 11:57 AM) + / -
I have been refilling my printer cartridges for quite some time. Recently my magenta cartridge stopped printing the dots in the print quality test. It is out of the warranty and extended warranty which I breached anyway by filling my own cartridges. They are just so expensive though.

Anybody figured out how to unclog the printer head?

Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (11/18/06 1:05 PM) + / -
ok i was having this problem with a 210c, i had to open the lid while it was on pull the empty ink then put the new one in while the printer was on, then fallow the instructions on the LCD.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420 CN No power by Anonymous (11/18/06 2:39 PM) +2 + / -
I have the exact same issue and can find nothing in the manual or online to fix it. Has anyone fixed this issue?

Re: Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (12/12/06 12:16 PM) + / -
My MFC-215c was reporting same problem after installing new Black Ink. I followed your steps (post 4/11/06 6:01 PM) and It worked.

Thank you very much "Anonymous"

Re: Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (12/13/06 6:28 PM) + / -
ANYONE WHO NEEDS INFO ON DOWNLOADING SOFTWARE.....go to the brother site, they have it there and I believe you can even put in your serial number and it will give you software for yours. I just did it but I believe there was three options, so just be careful and pick the right one or it will not work. For example if you download updates but have no software to update then it will not work. www.brother.com

Re: Re: Brother MFC by Anonymous (12/31/06 11:36 PM) + / -
Would you be David Pritchard who went to school at C.O.C. I used Sonya Collins at school.

Re: Re: Re: Brother MFC420CN by jackculler (1/10/07 2:44 PM) +1 + / -
Will someone tell me where I can get a new printhead and instructions for installing same. I keep getting the error message "can't clean".

Re: Re: Brother MFC by shortecki (4/1/07 12:33 PM) +1 + / -
re: disnynut posted a while ago about needing new print head set up in maintenance and the run errors. Did you ever find a solution? I think I'm willing to try a new print head for $50 - I wasn't aware that air bubbles can kill them and I told it to ignore "cartridge low" all the time until it was really out. Never the less, I got 3 good years out of it till suddenly it won't print all colors - blue not at all, magenta poorly.

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters