fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Denny Conway (2/28/03 1:37 PM) reply + / -
TO EPSON INK JET PRINTER OWNERS: If you have a problem with your printer, you might want to take the time to read any REPLIES on other peoples POSTED SUBJECTS. Even if their specific model of Epson printer is different than yours. Most of the time when you read about previously posted questions and replies, it is the same GENERAL INFO that works on most all Epson Ink Jet Style Printers. GENERAL INFO can be applied to most Epson "STYLUS"/"STYLUS PRO"/"STYLUS COLOR"/"STYLUS PHOTO" series printers. You might even want to save [copy if your printer is working] any GENERAL INFO in a file for future reference. If particular info does not fit your problem right now, I can almost guarantee you may run into that problem sometime in the future... I'm employed by an "Epson Authorized Dealer"/"H.P. Authorized Service Provider" and I'm sorry to say, limited legally from providing some information thats available for me to use. Even though I have around 17 or 18 years experience repairing and servicing Office Equipment, I don't know everything. I'm not always right and being human, make mistakes, just like the next person. Even at 53 years old, I'm constantly learning new info/procedures/shortcuts/methods. Sometimes I run into problems that I don't know how to fix. I need to get help just like you, except some of my sources are not available to the general public... When I have the time I will try to help. UNFORTUNATELY FOR YOU, I do tend to go on and on [kind of like now]. I will apologize to those people who are offended/bothered by my USUALLY LONG REPLIES. Most of my advice and help, will usually prove to be valuable to someone, even if it does not always work for the person it was meant for. You may get tired of reading so much of the info that I reply to people's problems about. Not everyone is a trained tech, or even knows about the general cleaning, servicing, testing and upkeep on their printer. So thats why I approach most of my replies as if the person I'm talking to is untrained and that they may need more in-depth instructions and help... I MAINLY WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I'M NOT TRYING TO BE A KNOW-IT-ALL. I DO MAKE MISTAKES AND MAY OCCASIONALLY GIVE YOU THE WRONG INFO, OR IT MAY NOT BE HELPFUL TO YOU. FOR THAT I AGAIN APOLOGIZE. ALSO KNOW THAT I'M NOT TRYING TO DEFEND EPSON AND HP. I'M JUST TRYING TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR PROBLEMS, WHEN I CAN... Have a good day and good luck on your repairs. Denny Conway

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by shelba (8/13/03 5:22 PM) reply + / -
how do i clean the printer cartrage. my cousin did it and i didnt see how she did it. thank you shelba

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Denny Conway (8/13/03 6:03 PM) reply + / -
Shelba: I'm guessing that you are referring to the "carriage assembly" that the printhead assembly and ink cartridges travel back and forth on...GENERAL INFORMATION: IF YOU ARE GETTING "GRINDING TYPE NOISES", OR "RATCHETING TYPE NOISES", POSSIBLE "PRINTHEAD ASSEMBLY" SLAMMING OR CRASHING & WHAT APPEARS TO BE MISFEEDING PROBLEMS: I would recommend cleaning and lubing your printers "carriage assy", as this area causes most noise problems and the resulting strange problems. Even if this turned out not to be your problem, this area would probably have needed the cleaning and lubing in the near future anyway. If you look inside your printer and you can see a lot of dust/dirt/hair/lint/etc, its a good chance the noise and or problem is coming from the carriage assyembly...AN EASY AND QUICK TESTS TO CHECK YOUR CARRIAGE ASSY: Take a white rag and carefully rub the front side of the long, round carriage shaft/rod/bar. This is the shaft that passes thru the "print head assy"/"print cartridge holder assy". This shaft is metal, looks like chrome and when not dirty, looks shiney. After you clean off the front of this shaft with a white rag, look at the rag. If it has a blackish/greasy look on it, then the carriage assy is probably dirty and should be cleaned and lubed...I will e-mail you some general information on that area, in case you want to do the cleaning and lubrication...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Jim (8/13/03 6:44 PM) reply + / -
I have a c-80 and recently used compatible cartridges. I had to clean the heads before almost every use. Today, I used the printing command and the the paper came out with little or no characters. I have used the utiliy to death with no change. Apparently the ink jets need to be cleaned. If this is correct, how is it done?

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Denny Conway (8/14/03 10:17 AM) reply+1 + / -
Jim: Just to let you know, I do not work for "fixyourownprinter.com" or even "Epson Company". As an "Epson Authorized Service Dealer", there's only so much information and help that I can legally give. There's of course no way for me to actually know whats wrong with your printer. It's possible that you may even have an actual HARDWARE PROBLEM [parts problem], or possibly the "printhead nozzles" may just be clogged. Unfortunatly, this seems to be a fairly common experience on the "C80" Printer, especially when you are using NON EPSON INKS. If you do a general search on the "fixyourownprinter.com" printer repair site, under Epson C80 Printers, you can read about other peoples experiences and advise. You may want to actually try a "Printhead Cleaning Kit" and see if it will help. If you were using generic or third party ink cartridges [NON-EPSON INK CARTRIDGES] then its even worse on the printhead assemblies and they may have already been damaged by using the wrong ink. Its possible that you may not actually be able get the printhead assembly to open up and work again. A "printhead cleaning kit" is available through the home page on "fixyourownprinter.com" and its around $10.00 plus shipping. I'm told that it includes a syringe and some Epson Printhead Cleaning Solution. If it does not work, then its generally time to replace the printer, because the printheads are around $120.00 to $130.00, just for the part. Although the kit IS NOT designed for the "C" series printers [such as the C80 or C60] or the NEWER SERIES of Epson Ink Jet Style Printers, the fluid and syringe can still be used in the same way. The main difference is the instructions for the FELT PAD/CAP ASSEMBLY. The "C80/C82" series and newer "C" series printers, use a different stlye "cap assembly" that does not use a felt pad, so you have to ignore that portion of the instructions. The tiny "nozzles" inside the printhead assembly can be easily damaged if you actually try to force the fluids thru them. The correct method is to use the syringe to add the fluid into the nozzle and then leave the fluids set inside the nozzle for a couple of days, to try and dissolve a possible clog. Sometimes you might even have to use the fluids several times to be able to dissolve a possible bad clog in the printhead assembly. Sometimes the clog will never dissolve, or actually damages the nozzles. Again, if the cleaning fluids don't help, then its generally time to invest in a new printer...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by StuffedBunny (10/3/03 12:14 PM) reply + / -
If the printheads cost so much how and why do they sell the printers so cheap just to get you to buy the ink???

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Denny Conway (10/3/03 3:01 PM) reply + / -
Stuffed Bunny: Just to let you know, I do not work for "fixyourownprinter.com" or even "Epson Company". I do work for an "Epson Authorized Service Dealer", who is also an "HP Authorized Service Provider". Of course every manufactor wants you to only use their ink cartridges in their printers. Its no secret that manufactors make more money selling ink cartridges then they do selling those inexpensive ink jet printers. Almost all manufactors are mass producing those inexpensive ink jet printers[cheep to make = cheep to sell], because we [the public] are buying them by the thousands. Because one company sells thousands of cheeply made and cheeply sold ink jet printers, the next company wants to sell thousands as well, so they mass produce and sell them as well. Unfortunatly, almost anything that is mass produced and sold cheeply, is really not the quality of the printers that were made just a few years ago. Of course the printers were more expensive a few years ago, but generally they lasted longer. The inexpensive printers [generally under $100] are more or less thought of as disposable in the printer industry. In the case of Epson's Ink Jet Printers, they use a completely different printhead inking system than most other brands of printers and those printheads are designed to last the life of the printer, or so they say. Those printheads are one of the reasons that the Epson Printers make such quality color prints. Printer manufacters do not make available their ink formulation and in most cases, the formulation is patented. Any difference in the ink formulation can clog the small printhead nozzles or damage other critical components. Correct Epson ink formulation is VITAL and any difference in the ink formulation can clog the small printhead nozzles or damage other critical components. No matter what anyone says, all blacks or colors are not the same and any Non-Epson Ink or Ink Cartridges will normally cause problems, sooner or later. Epson has many different formulas of just its black ink, for all the different models of ink jet style printers, let alone the colored inks. Most of the problems people have are caused by something they did, or did not do and are not always the printers fault...SOME EXAMPLES: Refilling your own cartridges [wrong ink]; having old cartridges refilled [wrong ink]; buying Refilled Ink Cartridges, Third Party Ink Cartridges or Generic Ink Cartridges [wrong ink]; removing and reinstalling the same ink cartridge [especially on the older models can cause clogging & other problems]; leaving an ink cartridge out of your printer for more than a short time [can cause clogging]; not using your printer for more than a month [can cause clogging]; only using your black ink regularly, but not using your color ink for more than a month [can cause clogging in the color nozzles]; even not using the printers ON/OFF Switch to turn off your printer [using the off/on switch on your "Surge Protector/Power Strip"] can actually cause damage to the printhead assembly...As you can see, lots of reasons for possible problems in ink jet printers, but remember, in an Epson Ink Jet Printer, the correct Epson Ink is really vital...Denny Conway

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by StuffedBunny (10/3/03 4:43 PM) reply + / -
My household has 5 computers and 8 printers,i am a photography nut and will take about 75-100 photos a week sometimes more as i supplement my income by selling and doing restoration and custom prints.I had always used HP but didnot get the quality i was wanting went to a epson stylus photo 825 to reason of 'built in permenant printhead'and 6 color ink as well as picoliter droplets,was a happy clam with the results.O the 2 lexmarks,1 apple(canon)and 3 HP,all i have refilled the carts so on the 825 i obtained a chip resetter and continued the ritual and have not had any problems at all(the 825 is 8-9 monthe old and will run 30-50 8.5 X 11 prints a week)i 3 months ago bought a Epson 925 and have never ever used anything but pure fresh(as far as I know) Epson carts because i used it for only the very best photos,and belive it or not it was used not daily but 3-4 times a weekor more,producing 20-30 printson specilaity papers.and it was placed in park and powered off,last week it clogged and died in pain of clogged heads(Epson ink).The 925 is now in the discontinued market,and it was not a cheap(notice spelling)throw away printer i agree they are made and it is cheaper to replace the printer than the ink,but you get the cheaper print quailty to go with that also.I paid almost $300.00 for the 925 and was considering a Epson 2200 for the increased format of 13" over 8.5"...this has caused me to reconside that purchase,and the B.S. from EPSON support being the other...I really wonder if when the FTC made it clear that refilling your own ink carts could not void warrenties that the big threewent to work either making a inkconditioner or addative for their carts that consumers did not have or know about or were able to use...Canon is looking real good,and worse case i can replace my own print heads...

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Denny Conway (10/3/03 6:02 PM) reply + / -
Stuffed Bunny: Don't get me wrong, I don't care what kind of ink you use in your printer. I only report what I see and what I read about. You can do a search on this printer Repair Site and read about all the problems people have that use Non-Epson Inks and Ink cartridges in their Epson Printers. You can also read how some people have no problems at all, except that they are posting messages on this Printer Repair Site for one reason or another...By the way a Printer Technician that I have known for about 15 years or so, works for the largest "Authorized Cannon Dealer" in Northern Calif. He personally told me that the Cannon Dealer that he works on, no longer will work on their own Cannon Bubble Jet Printers anymore, because they arenot economical to work on and other reasons that I cannot mention. In the end, its what you like, what you want and what you trust. I'm glad that you have reconsidered [notice spelling: "this has caused me to reconside that purchase"] your purchase and wish you well on your next PRINTER...TECH NOTE: I KNOW THAT MY SPELLING, PUCTUATION AND GRAMMER IS NOT REALLY THAT GOOD, BUT DID YOU EVEN PROOF READ YOUR REPLY??? OK, I GUESS WE ARE BOTH ONLY HUMAN AND NOBODY IS PERFECT AFTER ALL...Denny Conway

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by StuffedBunny (10/3/03 10:04 PM) reply + / -
i thank you for your help and met no 'flames ' of any kind but if you were to use a different name you could really give som good help to people with real problems...

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Marko (10/4/03 2:14 AM) reply + / -

Hello Denny

I have this Epson C70 printer and it just says
all ink tanks are empty, but they are not. Printerīs red light is also on. Itīs no help cleaning the ink tanks contacts. Any good ideas??

Marko

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Denny Conway (10/6/03 10:22 AM) reply + / -
Marko: I'm sorry, but I probably can't really help you that much. Its possible that you might even have a Hardware Problem [parts problem], there's just no way for me to really know. Because of the relativly inexpensive nature of the smaller ink jet printers, I seldom see one in my shop for repairs. In your case I don't even have a listing for a "C70" Epson Printer, but its possible that it was a specially made printer for overseas sales only. On a "C60" model, a solid red Error light [with power light off] stands for a FATAL ERROR/GENERAL ERROR. It can be caused by a "Carriage Assembly" problem, a "Paper Feed Motor" problem, a "Main Board Assembly" failure, or even a "Frame" problem. On a "C80" model, that same error condition can stand for an "Ink Out Condition", a "Cartridge Out Condition", a "Chip" communication error, a "Chip" corrupted data error, or even a refilled cartridge error...If you happen to be using Refilled Cartridges or Non-Epson Ink Cartridges [Third-Party or Generic Cartridges] in your Epson Printer, that could be causing your problems. No matter what anyone says, all blacks and colors are not the same. Thats why all companies patient the formulas for their inks. Generally if you are using non Epson Ink Cartridges, you are using the wrong ink for your printer and sooner or later you will usually have problems of some type, almost everyone does. The newer models of Epson Printers seem to have more problems recognizing the Non-Epson Ink Cartridges, because of the electrical chips mounted on those cartridges. Sometimes you will even get a message up on your monitor that says a wrong cartridge was installed...If you are actually using Epson Cartridges, then I really don't know what your problem might be other than an actual part failure or bad cartridges...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MO by Walt Seng (2/3/05 2:52 PM) reply+1 + / -
Help.
My 2200 print head tore off a corner of Epson Lustre Paper and the paper is stuck somewhere under the print head. Its dragging and smearing ink across the paper. How do I get that darned piece of paper out from under there?
Appreciatingly,
Walt Seng

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MO by Denny Conway (2/3/05 3:50 PM) reply + / -
Walt: You might try the folded, wet paper towel method, thats discussed on the "Epson Print Head Cleaning Instruction" web-site, located at http://epsonhelp.freehttp.com/Printhead.html and see if that helps...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by joe (2/5/05 2:25 PM) reply + / -
Hello Denny

YOu have really helped me in the past with your 'general info' sheets and I wanted to ask for assistance again.

I have an Epson 1280 that won't feed correctly. I have to manually force feed the paper so that rollers catch it. I am affraid I may be damaging the printing by doing this. This began to happen after feeding a rather heavy weight injet paper thru the machine.

Is there a means by which I can adjust/fix the rear paper catch/rollers? Are they just dirty?

Also do you have any advice for storing a 1280 for a period of 6 months to a year without much use. What steps need to be taken to ensure that once it comes out of storage that it will run smoothly again? Should I periodically run the print head cleaning utility?

Thanks again!!!

Joe

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Denny Conway (2/7/05 11:15 AM) reply + / -
Joe: I'm sorry, but I know of no actual adjustment for the Paper Feed Assembly, but you would probably need an actual Service Manual for reference on disasembly, troubleshooting and servicing of that paper feed assembly. There is a free download of an "Epson Stylus Photo 870/1270 Service Manual", from fixyourownprinter.com, at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/manuals/public/epson , that you may be able to use as a possible guide in troubleshooting your printers paper feed problem, because its simular to your "1280" model. Or, you can try and locate an actual Service Manual, to buy and download for your actual "1280" model, if needed. I have not checked, but you can normally find Service Manuals for most printers, from 2manuals.com, at http://www.2manuals.com (most Service Manuals can usually be downloaded for around $10 +/- )...Once you get into where the actual Paper Feed Roller is located, you might want to try cleaning the Pick-Up/Feed-In Roller or Rollers with a "Rubber Roller Cleaner/Rubber Rejuvinator" and see if that helps. Sometimes simply cleaning and treating that rubber roller or rollers will make all the difference on paper feeding problems. Some of the best Rubber Roller Rejuvenator that I have ever used, is available in a can: Price = $10, plus shipping, from "fixyourownprinter.com", at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/specials/misc/chemicals/S03...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by joe (2/8/05 6:50 AM) reply + / -
thanks again Denny! I will definitely look into the manual and cleaning solution.

Any advice about storing the printer for a year or more so that the print heads won't dry out, etc.?

I assume I should just wrap it up to keep out the dust and then periodically run the cleaning cycle.

Thanks JOe

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MO by Denny Conway (2/8/05 9:36 AM) reply + / -
Joe: Lets try that last reply again, as apparently, something went wrong...Epson Printers need to be used often, to keep the ink inside the tiny Printhead Nozzles, from drying out and causing clogs. On the older ink jet printers, that would usually mean that you should run the Nozzle Test at least once every few weeks, or so and more often if you are using the wrong formulation of ink in your printer [Non-Epson Ink Cartridges]. On the newer models of printers, people have been saying that you need to run the printer even more often then that, if not being used. They suggest once a week, but that info does not actually come from Epson Company, but rather from other Epson owners and users. At any rate, storing your printer for a year or more is usually going to be risky. The best bet would be to use the actual "Epson Printhead Cleaning Solution" to clean-out & flush-out the old ink residue and then simply install cleaning cartridges into your printer. That way there would be no actual ink to dry out and cause clogging problems and the fluid in those cleaning cartridges would protect those nozzles. You could still run a nozzle test once a month or so, with those cleaning cartridges installed, just to keep those printhead nozzles from drying out and to keep them open & clean. Then when its actually time to use the printer again, simply install brand new Epson Ink cartridges and run a few "Printhead Cleaning Cycles" & "Nozzle Tests". You will want to run the test copies, until the cleaning cartridge solution is actually flushed out and regular ink starts to flow again...Denny Conway

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by ann (2/26/05 11:35 AM) reply + / -
I keep getting this message that there is a foreign object in the printer when there is nothing in there at all--not even paper. It makes this grinding kind of noise and freezes up--what is happening? Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Denny Conway (2/28/05 10:40 AM) reply + / -
Ann: I'm assuming that you have an Epson Printer, because you posted your message on a "General Info On Epson Ink Jet Printers, All models", message board. However, it would help to actually know just what model of Epson Printer that you have. With a grinding type of noise, I can only suggest that you try cleaning & lubing your printers Carriage Assembly, because thats the most common cause of grinding or ratcheting type noises. Although it's possible your printer has an electronic or mechanical failure, the most common problem is that the "Carriage Assembly" is simply DIRTY and or DRY, causing it to stick and make noises. That usually results in the printer loosing track of just where the "Print Cartridge Holder Assembly" is actually at and that can cause the error light/led to come on. Sometimes when the printer looses track of where that assembly is at, it then keeps telling that assembly to keep moving and can even cause it to slam into the end of the printer. Try wiping off all around the round metal carriage bar or shaft [that the print cartridge holder assembly moves back-n-forth on], with a lint free cloth. Also clean the outside of the metal bushings with q-tips, that the carriage bar passes thru, on both sides of the print cartridge holder assembly. You can also use alcohol on the cloth, if there is a lot of build-up on the carriage shaft/bar. Then lube the metal bar on both sides of the holder assembly, slightly with a precision oiler, not a spray lubrication, or the appropriate grease thats used on some of the newer models [Epson C40UX, C62]. A drop or two of a Teflon based lubrication or Tri-Flo lube is best on the older models of most printers. Manually slide the holder assembly back and forth to spread out the lubrication and wipe of any excess lube or blackish build-up that appears on the bar. You can check out this link, supplied by WES, to see different lubrications: http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/oil.html and also this link provided by WES, http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/glide.html , to see some general information on "Carriage Guide Shaft Maintenance"...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Denny Conway (2/28/05 10:47 AM) reply + / -
Ann: Also be sure and let us know, if you have recently had to forcefully yank out any bad paper jams, especially towards the rear of the printer, in a backwards direction...JUST IN CASE THAT MAY HAVE HAPPENED: There is a common problem when you get a constant jam condition, or paper won't feed in correctly after a bad jam was removed, or even when the printer or your computer thinks that the paper has not been correctly loaded. If you did recently remove a bad paper jam, that you had to forcefully yank out of your printer, then its possible that a part was unhooked/unseated, or even damaged. When paper is pulled to the rear/backwards with force, it usually unseats the arm on the "Paper Jam Sensor Assy", resulting in a constant jam condition. Normally, as paper passes thru the printer, it causes a black plastic arm [with a spring attached] to be pushed forward out of the "Paper Jam Sensor". As the trail edge of the paper leaves the plastic arm, the spring causes the plastic arm to be pulled back into its normal position [into that sensor assembly]. When the arm does not correctly return, the sensor is not activated and the printer thinks there is a paper jam [even though you can not see any paper in the paper path], or does not correctly feed-in the paper, because the sensor is not correctly actuated. Of course I have no way to really know whats wrong with your printer, or even if this is your problem but you have to start some place and I've seen this happen many times. Because of the disassembly and troubleshooting involved, you will find it easier to do with a Service Manual for reference. You have to realize that your printer does not actually have the ability to see any paper in your printer. It depends on electrical signals transmitted thru sensors, to determine if there is a jam or if the paper is out. Usually what happens is that the plastic arm is unhooked at its pivot points, or sometimes actually broken/damaged and cannot return back into the paper sensor. You would have to remove the printers "Top Cover" to be able to shine a flashlight in to possibly see the arm of the paper jam sensor. Again, even removing that Top Cover may require a Service Manual to use for reference and probably even for troubleshooting your possible problem. If you can get the "Top Cover" off: Most of the time you will have to carefully, partially remove the plastic "Paper Holder Assy" in the rear of the printer[usually 2 screws], far enough to be able to fully see and hopefully be able to reinstall the arm assy into its pivot points/holder assy [providing that is your problem, of course]...TECH NOTE: You will need to turn the printer around to disassemble and partially remove the paper holder assembly...WATCHING NOW FROM THE REAR SIDE: Closely observe how the "paper holder assy" comes out/slides out, esp on the left side. The right side is normally just held in by a screw, but the left side [also held in by one screw] is also positioned under and slightly into the paper feed clutch/motor assy. You usually don't need to fully remove the left end of the paper holder assy to be able to see and reconnect the sensor's arm and spring. You do need to be able to reinstall the left end back under/into that clutch assy, or paper won't feed-in correctly. Go slow and LOOK AT EVERYTHING CLOSELY. Check every thing/every step VERY CLOSELY, so you can put it back together again correctly. If the sensor's arm was not broken, or damaged [and its normally just unhooked] you can just try to correctly reinstall it back into its normal position. Once the sensor's arm is correctly positioned, then slowly and carefully reassemble everything, except leave the "Top Cover" off for testing. TECH NOTE: On some Epson models, when you remove the top cover, there is a "Ribbon Cable" [electrical cable] plugged into the top cover itself. If you are not careful, you may find that you have to replug that Ribbon Cable back into its connector on the top cover, for testing purposes. Plug-in and turn-on the printer, but don't load any paper yet. If no immediate jam indicator comes on [once the printer is turned back on], it usually indicates the sensor assy is working normally now. Now load paper as normal [with the top cover still off] and if no "Error Lights/LED's" come on, push the paper/resume button to feed in paper part way [as normal]. Push the same button a second time to finish feeding the paper thru the printer. If successfull, run the same test several times, just to be sure. If the paper does not feed in, you'll probably have to start over on the disassembly of the "paper holder assy" and try to see what went wrong while you performed the reassembly/reinstallation of that assembly. Of course, if that sensor arm was not your problem, once the Top Cover is off, you may be able to actually see the possible problem. You may still need to try and locate an actual Service Manual on-line, to buy and download for reference in disassembly, troubleshooting and servicing. As you are already using this "fixyourownprinter.com" Printer Repair site, why not first check with them and see if they offer a manual for your particular printer, that might be of use to you. You can see whats available by clicking on the following link: http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/manuals# ...IN CASE THEY DO NOT HAVE THE MANUAL THAT YOU NEED: I have not checked, but you can normally find Service Manuals for most printers, from 2manuals.com, at http://www.2manuals.com (most Service Manuals can usually be downloaded for around $10 +/- ). If that source is not available, then I would recommend that you go to the "Compass Micro Inc" web-site, at http://www.compassmicro.com/parts_select.cfm and check with them directly, to see if they have a Service Manual available yet for your printer. Several people have posted that they have manuals available for the newer printers, that are not actually available from other normal sources...Again, Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, AL by Anonymous (2/28/05 1:12 PM) reply + / -
Thanks, Denny,
I ended up having to use some very long tweezers to get the torn paper out from under the printhead. I raised the printhead with the paper thickness lever and went after the stuck paper with the long tweezers throught the front of the printer, extending the tweezers between the rollers. The paper was really stuck up in there and it took some doing to get it out. But, thanks to your initital feedback, I was able to get my printer back into working condition. Now, I've got to figure out why it tore the paper in the first place!
Thank you. Walt Seng

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Denny Conway (2/28/05 1:54 PM) reply + / -
Walt: You're welcome! I'm glad that I was able to help you, but it sounds like you mainly had to figure it out for yourself. So congratulations on being able to correct your printers problem. Good Job!...Denny Conway

Re: Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Anonymous (3/7/05 8:36 PM) reply + / -
Hi Denny,
Thanks so much for the info. Yes, it is an Epson C40 printer and I did clean the carriage and the bushings. That did not seem to clear up the problem. I do not have a paper jam because I also took the cover off to see inside. What I did notice is that the rubber band seems to only move a certain amount and then stop quite abruptly. I cannot see anything that is snagging it in anyway. Any further insights you might have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ann

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Denny Conway (3/8/05 10:20 AM) reply + / -
Ann: I'm sorry, but Epson Company does not train any of their "Epson Authorized Service Dealers" on any of their newer models of printers, so I know very little about your "C40" model. Unfortunatly, any of the small ink jet printers under $100.00, are simply not economical to have repaired in a shop. You can simply buy another disposable printer, cheaper than you can have your printer repaired for. Because of that reason, I've never even had one even come into my shop for repairs...I know you said you cleaned the carriage & bushings, but that assembly still needs to be greased, or it may stick & stall and even cause possible grinding or ratcheting noises...However, even servicing & greasing that assembly may not help you printers particular problem. Especially if you had a really bad jam that you may have had to remove, like the reply that I posted to you, dated 2/28/05 @ 10:47AM. If that is the case, then you will need to either do some disassembly and try and locate that possible problem, or it may simply be time to buy another small printer. Because of the message that you said you were origionally getting [there is a foreign object in the printer], I doubt that it has anything to actually do with that carriage assembly. Its more likely an actual paper feed related issue, or that some part or assembly may have been knocked out of place, possibly when you had to remove a paper jam. Its even possible that the "Print Cartridge Holder Assembly" is hanging up on something. You may need to actually remove the Top Cover Assembly, just to be able to see everything better. Once you have that top cover removed, you may be able to actually see where that noise is coming from and then hopefully you can correct the possible problem. That possible damage or problem, can cause related paper feeding error messages, paper related problems and sometimes even strange noises. There is an "Epson Stylus C60 Printer Information Page", that also includes the C44 series, that you can view at http://epsonhelp.freehttp.com/C60.html . It does have a section on the left side you can click-on, titled HOUSING REMOVAL and also a section titled FEED UNIT, that may be of some help to you, in trying to find your possible problem...Denny Conway

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by dreinhard1967 (5/17/05 11:45 AM) reply+2 + / -
Hello,
My wife and I are wildlife & nature photographers and use the epson 2200 and 7600 exclusively for the business. Recently, while printing business cards for our next gallery showing on the 2200, we started running into a problem with the paper feed not grabbing the paper and eventually getting paper not loaded errors in the print manager. I tried feeding some plain white sheets through the rollers and this only limited the problem for a very short period of time. On occasion I see black roller streaks on the paper. Could you give some advice on fixing or cleaning the rollers so the paper feeds properly? Any help would be much appreciated.

Regard,

Dave Reinhard
http://www.PhotosFromTheWild.com

Re: EPSON STYLUS PHOTO 825 by Heather (6/15/05 10:40 AM) reply + / -
Whenever I print, the colors are not right. For instance, the color red always prints off dark green. The color yellow won't even print at all. What is wrong! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Heather C.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MO by Bill H (7/29/05 1:23 PM) reply + / -
I am trying to replace the B&W cartridge in my Epson Stylus C40UX, but cannot get the old cartridge centered in the middle, and thus cannot access it. I've done this many times before but don't know what I'm doing wrong this time. Can anyone tell me what the secret its?

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MO by Denny Conway (7/29/05 2:16 PM) reply + / -
Bill: On most Epson Printers, at a normal Ready Condition [only solid green power light on], you simply hold-in on the Paper Load Button (the one with the sheet of paper stenciled next to it) for 5 or 6 seconds and the Print Cartridge Holder Assembly will unlock and move over to the position where the cartridges can be replaced (ink changing position)...On most Epson Printers, if you unload the paper and simply push-in on the paper button one time [don't hold-in on that paper button], that assembly will unlock and start moving to the left slightly and you can then unplug the power cord from the wall outlet...If that does not work, then simply unload the paper and run any test print, with the Top Cover Door open. Once you see that holder assembly unlock and slightly move to the left, simply unplug the power cord. You have to do it quickly, or the printer will send an out of paper signal to your computer system. Once the power is off and that "Print Cartridge Holder Assembly" is unlocked, then that assembly can be slid from side-to-side, so that you can replace those ink cartridges...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, AL by Anonymous (8/1/05 12:05 PM) reply + / -
Thank you very much, Denny. I'm going to print out your instructions so I never have to ask again.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MO by Denny Conway (8/4/05 9:32 AM) reply + / -
You're welcome! I hope that information helps...Denny Conway

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Lyle (8/11/05 6:19 AM) reply + / -
Has anyone used Nectron compatible ink, or Nectron compatible refilled cartridges?

I have read this is a dye based waterproof ink, not a water based pigmented ink (like all retail refill kits) and therefore is compatible with OEM Epson ink. For $20 They even sell the separate 6 color cartridge packs for the RX500/600 series printers (which is the printer I am considering refilling). Here is some math for everyone. I bought the printer for less than $200, and an entire set of new genuine Epson cartridges costs $60-$100. So basically if I refill it 2-3 times without it clogging I am ahead of the game.

I would love to find somewhere that sells bulk Epson ink, or at least non-waterbased ink, that is why I am looking at this Nectron company so closely. Anyone have any feedback?
I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Alignment on 1280 interface not produced in output by Jeanne Tifft (8/14/05 6:43 AM) reply + / -
I've been printing greeting cards (Red River Premium matte, Crane Museo Artist Cards, Hahnemuhle Photo rag): two problems

(1) card alignment set up in the Epson driver software is changed (margin increase/decrease, centered/not centered, etc) unpredictably in the actual card emerging from the printer .. even though all choices in the software are accurately selected. Changing the interface settings in an attempt to compensate does not make any difference to speak of.

(2) paper stock feed is erratic (rollers turn but don't advance the sheet) no matter whether "heavyweight matte" or "inkjet photo paper" is chosen in the driver software. All the above papers are slightly different thicknesses and the *.icc profiles don't specify which thickness to set. Sometimes a job feeds smoothly; other times it can take 30 minutes of pressing maintenance, clicking continue, and manually inserting a piece of card stock, before the printer gives up and does its job.

Any suggestions/advice on managing these annoyances MOST welcome. TIA.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Stephen (8/14/05 11:40 AM) reply + / -
Have you tried cleaning the rollers?

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/specials/misc/chemicals/S03

Cleaning rollers with alcohol doesn't count, I've seen alcohol cause more problems than it fixes.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by benno123 (10/6/05 2:49 AM) reply+1 + / -
can anyone tell me how to reset my service error message on my epson photo 915

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Stephen (10/6/05 5:28 AM) reply + / -
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/30852#2

Re: Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, AL by Terry Nebelski (10/10/05 7:16 AM) reply + / -
Just a note: My recent call 10/08/2005 about my clogged heads on my 6 month old CX4600, resulted in technical support from Epson telling me that at the least the printer should be used weekly. This would help prevent the heads from clogging. Hope this is helpful.
Terry

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Terry Shaw (10/24/05 6:31 AM) reply+1 + / -
Can you help? I have been told that my printer needs the counter resetting. How does one do that. Stylus C64 The printer starts up then stops with the green light on and the amber light flashing.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo Pro RX500 Broken by Anonymous (11/4/05 3:11 AM) reply + / -
Okay here's a new one for me? I have been working with computers and printers since the earliest TRS 80's and so on. I have a Photo Pro RX500 and I love it. (except the fact that it goes through about $100 worth of ink every month with heavy usage) I work from my home and my friend placed a recently burned CD with a cover on top the printer while it was printing and it slipped and fell into the back area where the paper is and I heard this curious sound as that CD got sucked into the printer and jammed. I bent that CD almost to 90 degrees without breaking to get it jammed up right under the printing carriage.

I managed to wiggle it back but it broke this piece and I think you would call it the paper roller/holder assembly. It's a white plastic piece with rollers that pop into it and has a tension spring on the top of it where the plastic piece broke. You use to be able to find parts for printers long ago to fix them, now it isn't so.

Where can I go besides sending it in to get this part and replace it. It seems simple, or maybe I'm wrong. Thanks

Ben-Eric
ben85250@yahoo.com

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Wes (11/4/05 7:39 AM) reply + / -
You can order parts from compassmicro.com Just go to the site and click on parts then select your model and download the parts list. Find the part number you want and email them for the price.

They will get back to you quickly with price and delivery options.

I hope thus helps,

Wes.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by jagans (3/6/06 12:32 PM) reply + / -
Hi All,

I have been using off brand inks in several Epson 785epx and 825 printers for several years now with no problems. I frankly do not know how anyone could afford to buy Epson carts because of their cost.

Anyway, I have a couple of comments, and questions which may help someone out there. I have been cleaning my epson printheads with a three to one solution of (HOT) clear ammonia, and distilled water by simply squirting it into the probes in the print head with a syringe until a nice even fan of mist comes out the printhead from each set of nozzles. I have never had a problem until now. Now I seem to have killed two printheads in quick succession with this method which has been bullet proof for years. I get absolutely nothing out of the heads, in spite of the fact that I know the pumps are working. Maybe there is a chip in the printer that just kills it after so many years? Maybe I applied too much pressure?

Is there anyway to do a test on the printhead itself to see if it is dead? I have a scope, a high quality mutimeter, and a brain. Any help from a tech is much appreciated.

One more thing. The original Epson carts have check valves just above the outlet ports. Do these aid in priming the head? seems like they would. The aftermarket carts dont generally have these.

By the way, to print often and park the heads is very good advice . Lack of use is what kills these printers. The heads dont park until you turn off the printer..............why, epson?

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Wes (3/6/06 12:53 PM) reply + / -
Ammonia degrades the plastics of the printhead. Some cleaning solutions do use ammonia but it is not pure ammonia it is a 1% to 2% ammonia mix along with surficants and other chemicals. The Epson cleaning solution has no ammonia in it at all but again some aftermarket cleaning solution will. I don't suggest using much pressure at all when cleaning the printheads. I use a 1cc syringe and count to 15 as I inject the solution. If I use a larger syringe like a 6 ot 10 cc syringe then I use only enough pressure to see the the plunger on the syringe is moving.

You can check the printhead by cleaning the cap assembly to the point that you can tell if any new ink is on the cap assembly. Then run a cleaning cycle. If you can see the fresh ink on the cap assembly but no printed output then it is the printhead or the mainboard.

A lot of people do not realize how delacate the printhead is and if they used too much puressure when cleaning the printhead then could have seperated the nozzle plate from the printhead.

You can get a service manual and do some general tests but I havwe not seen anything other than the head voltage adjustments in the manuals that I have.

Most generic ink cartridges I have seen have a valve in them but it is more to stop leaking than anything else.

I hope this helps a little,

Wes.

Re: Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by peter lemer (3/8/06 10:46 AM) reply + / -
I was getting unresolvable paper jam warnings with a paper-free Photo Stylus 915 and then I found your post so I took the top cover off and found the jam sensor. I could see nothing wrong with it when I rocked it, but when I re-assembled the printer it worked fine - so its looks like I've bee lucky - it just needed a bit of TLC

:-)

thanks

peter

PS: Quite right, this occurred /after/ a had a misloaded sheet which jammed so I yanked it out forcibly.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by andre825 (4/8/06 12:06 AM) reply + / -
i have an epson photo stylus 825 with a paper problem. sometimes the paper just feeds thru but sometime if according to directions i line it up with right edge it just gets jammed up and crushed in the printer. I also use a c80 which now produces no printout. i am not sure if it is the inks. they seem to be epson and they weren't out of date. I just recently got the 825 and i don't know if it is missing any parts for sheet feeding. i see a yellow bar or plastic pad on the inside where the paper goes but i can't tell if anything else is in there. epson site does not help w/detailed pics of the printer.

Re: Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, AL by windozer (4/17/06 12:39 PM) reply-1 + / -
sorry....it appears as if most information has "helpfully"
been removed from the public gaze. Apparently all this is now
[[top-secret]]

The requested URL http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/ was not found on this server.

Send us a note, maybe we can help:

^^^^^ the error 404 after i tried your link, then "stepped back"
a few directories

regards;

windozer

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Anonymous (4/17/06 8:49 PM) reply + / -
Read this http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/31842#1

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by dellbert56 (4/24/06 12:46 AM) reply + / -
I just used clean water from my reverse osmosis unit in a syringe to clean the plugged print head of an Epson Stylus Color 800 printer that they left the black cartridge out for several days and the ink dried in the head. I alternately used the syringe to pull a vacuum, then push some water in, then pull a vacuum, then push more water in, until the syringe was empty. Then I put the cartridge back in, and ran two cleaning cycles. Now it prints fine! Based on this, I don't think the chemical cleaning solutions are needed, pure water works fine (my RO system has FIVE filters on it, so the water is very clean to avoid plugging the head).

I have filled my own ink cartridges for almost 10 years now, and none of my three printers have ever plugged up due to bad ink (two Epsons and a Canon). That doesn't mean all aftermarket inks are bad, but at least some of them are fine. I get mine from MrInkJet.com in Waco, Texas. The only problem I've ever had is with the Canon re-fills, the reds come out green at first if the printer has been sitting, but then turn out red again after a couple of pages. This is annoying for pictures, but fine for most general printing I do.

Another person asked about this same problem in a previous e-mail, but no body ever responded. If someone knows the answer (or an aftermarket brand that won't do this on the Canon MultiPass 50 combo printer/scanner/fax), please let me know!

Re: Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Anonymous (5/23/06 8:19 AM) reply + / -
how do i change cartridges on a epsom c40

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Office Concept (5/24/06 4:26 AM) reply + / -
HI there I have an Epsom Stylus Photo R300 printer I am having problmes with. From power up ,a service message appears and says there is an internal problem. Can anyone help?

Cheers

Graham

Re: Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Anonymous (6/25/06 2:06 PM) reply + / -
Hi! I saw your response to cleaning the carriage assembly. My EPSON STYLUS 777 needs cleaning. Could you also email me the same information for cleaning the carriage roller that you sent to the person you answered? I'd be very grateful as I'm not sure how to clean it. Thanks! Cindee

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by moe (6/26/06 10:56 PM) reply + / -
Why don't you just do a forum search on the message? It's only been discussed several thousand times on the forum!

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Anonymous (6/5/07 4:32 AM) reply + / -
thanks so much for the advice on clearing a paper jam on an Epson 915(825) - just saved me a fortune!

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Anonymous (2/7/08 3:15 PM) reply + / -
Hi there my Epsom printer model photo R300 has suddenly stopped working with the message 'service required. parts of your printer are at the end of their service life. See you printers docs for details'. I have consulted my local 'copy epsom 'dealer who informs me this is a common problem with printers being set to a designated no of prints and after this the message I am seeing is automatically displayed. I would appreciate any feedback regarding this, I really need my printer and it seems strange that just changing an ink cartridge can cease the whole system.

many thanks for your help & advice to those who reply

x

Re: Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, AL by tigerwan (2/7/08 6:46 PM) reply + / -
It's a common problem and it has been mentioned on this forum 100's of times. Have you searched the forum?

Anyways, download yourself the Epson scc utility, and do the reset. If you need more into about this, use the "search" feature in this forum.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by rawzone (12/19/08 6:29 PM) reply + / -
i get an error msg on printer display, it say that paper is not set correctly so please set it correctly or use the MAINTENANCE option in control panel of printer

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MO by oyakcx7400printer (12/23/08 1:56 AM) reply + / -
My Epson CX7400 Printer (yes a cheapie printer, I know) gives an Error message that reads: "Delete all print jobs and turn the printer off. Remove any foreign objects from inside the printer. After a few minutes, turn the printer back on." I assume there to be a small piece of paper hiding somewhere within obviously not visible without removing covers(so said a Repair Tech. who charges $65 p/h just to remove a piece of paper.) Does anyone know how to access the innards of this printer, via cover removal? I've not been able to figure out how to remove the cover(s) to visually inspect the innards. Obvious screw removal did not help, which only loosened the Scanner portion. It appears the side & bottom cover(s) have been made so no jerk of all trades, such as I, can figure out a way to remove them without breaking them, so one can observe if paper is somewhere inside. How nice of Epson. Are special tools required to remove any & all covers?

I did find one small strip of paper in the Cartridge gear mechanism way to the left in the cart carriage (under the Scanner lift lid) which I removed, but the Error remains. That strip of paper did not seem to be a hindrance IMO which would be the cause of the Error, but what do I know? Thus I need some suggestions, repair manual, reference link, or what have you, which might show or guide me on how to remove the cover to visually inspect inside.

If you or anyone can provide some clues it would be most appreciated, otherwise itís a toss up, to pay the $65 p/h repairman or buy a new Printer, & of course the same printer model is no longer available, that Iím aware of. Additionally, a new Epson Work Force 500 which uses the same carts, (I have a number of carts I donít want to throw away, theyíre expensive, need I say) has lousy reviews. This WF 500 is suppose to be an All-In-One, with lots of features, but some donít, won't, & never would work, according to the reviews I read. I couldn't find a positive review for the WF 500, at least in the BEST BUY web site I was on. Is there another printer that is more reliable which uses the same 69 type carts that the CX7400 uses?

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MO by kuyung (12/23/08 3:43 AM) reply + / -
download adjustment program http://service-epson.blogspot.com

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Davo68 (1/1/09 5:52 PM) reply + / -
Hi I have an Epson stylus photo R310.
I have been printing 3 pictures to an A4 page from my windows xp photo printing wizard.Its been fine up until now.It will print the page leaving one side of the images cut off.I have tried changing page setup from portrait to landscape but it still cuts the images off. Is it a software problem? Can I download any software or updates? I searched the Epson webpage but couldn't find anything relevant. Is it the windows Photo wizard broblem? Any info would be great.

Re: Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by rrrohan (1/1/09 7:47 PM) reply + / -
Do you have problem printing anything else such as text documents?

Rohan
Australia - Tech

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Davo68 (1/1/09 8:05 PM) reply + / -
No.its only when printing photos.It will sucessfully print once then with the next set it will cut the images off.I am wasting alot of paper! I am using glossy paper and i have done this many times. I have had the printer for 3 years and just replaced all the inks, done a nozzle clean all is well apart from it not printing the full images.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by rrrohan (1/1/09 9:26 PM) reply + / -
I would try printing using diffrent software and see if the fixes problem, then you can narrow it down to the photo prining wizard.

also have you checked the box for printing borderless?

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by cma830 (1/26/09 12:49 PM) reply + / -
Help...I was printing a few pages and after about two pages my printer stopped printing..It goes through the motions but out comes a blank paper...My black ink is half full and the colors are a little more than a quarter full...I have the Epson all in one CX7400...I cleaned the printer head and did the nozzle test..Even the test page comes out blank...I even uninstalled and reinstalled it..still won't print...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Anonymous (2/4/09 5:47 AM) reply + / -
i got problem with my epson stylus t10
just bought it, tried to install it
not yet done installing, the red light for maintenance/cartridge started to blink while the power light simply went off.
when i tried to print test page, the status monitor can't indicate my ink level (they all look empty)
fyi, i used the cartridges provided in the box
can u identify what's wrong with my newly-bought epson?
thanks

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by patricia salmon (2/4/09 3:26 PM) reply + / -
I have a new Epson StylusC88 Plus Inkjet printer. Had all kinds of problems setting up. I use this with a MSNTV2. Supposed to be compatible with the MSN Internet and Media Player. Now the paper light comes on when I want to print. The green power light starts flashing. It has yet to print anything so no paper jam. Can anyone help? Thanks. Pat

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MO by CZns (2/8/09 6:04 PM) reply + / -
I have recently installed Leopard on my Mac and have just gotten my computer back from being archived and all completely re-installed. When attempting to re-install my printers, I have not encountered any problems with the R2880, but cannot complete the install for my Epson Workforce-40. The install goes fine until it asks to turn on the computer and do a test print. All is correctly plugged in (after many checks & re-checks) and I get a "stopped" indication on the printer information screen. It automatically goes to that and when I try to get it to "resume", it remains on "stopped". Please advise as my Monday workday will be a difficult one without resolution to this problem. Thank you.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by ratherBrydn (2/10/09 3:58 PM) reply + / -
I've always used HP and owning my first Epson, will probably go back to HP! The paper keeps jamming when your facing the printer on the right side, I've opened it and there is nothing stuck there, its pretty frustrating as I cannot even find a local company who will look at it - any suggestions?

Thanks!

Its an Epson Photo RX620

Re: Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, AL by Eric Brightifeld (2/10/09 5:25 PM) reply + / -
RE: Epson 2200 printing problem

Denny, I was reading about the possibility of the ink pumping system not working properly in the Epson 2200. , do you know if the ink pumping system controls the ink colors in pairs? I am suspect since I have perfect printing in all ink heads except Yellow and light Magenta which are the first two colors on the right side of the carraige. any thoughts??

thanks Eric

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by dycoy24 (3/21/09 5:30 AM) reply-1 + / -
anyone knows how to reset the epson stylus T10..alternate lights indicator bliks..

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by dycoy24 (3/21/09 5:32 AM) reply+1 + / -
anyone knows how to reset the epson stylus T10..alternate lights indicator bliks..

Re: epson Stylus RX620 by chriscattaneo (5/1/09 11:07 PM) reply + / -
have loaded compatible cartridges successfully for ages but yesterday, changing the yellow, the printer has blocked saying it recognises none of the cartridges.

any way round this?

thanks in advance
chris

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Anonymous (9/4/09 5:50 PM) reply + / -
two questions:

i have a cx7400 and when i do print head alignment tests, they work fine, but when printing an actual color print, the colors align horizontally, but not vertically. what could cause this??

secondly, i have been printing on envelopes and at first it was working fine. now the last 20 times, it feeds the envelope all the way through and then tells me i'm out of paper (little red light next to icon of piece of paper on printer), so i turn it off and turn it on and try printing again. same thing happens. help!

ink out by Anonymous (9/22/09 12:48 PM) reply + / -
Hi,
My Epson 1270 keeps telling me that the ink is empty even when it is brand new. It seems to actually make the ink "think" it is empty because if I put it back into another printer the second one will also say it is empty, even if it isn't. Any ideas?
Thanks

Re: Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Anonymous (10/9/09 5:23 PM) reply + / -
I'm having the same problem with an Epson CX4600. Did you manage to figure out how to stop your printer from jamming?

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Anonymous (10/9/09 5:36 PM) reply + / -
Bad chip on the ink cartridge. It's starting to become a common problem.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by forsofwarelinkonly@g (3/7/10 3:02 AM) reply + / -
GOOD EVENING...

I AM USING EPSON STYLUS T10 FOR A NEW NOW AND I CONVERTED IT TO CISS AND THEN EVERYTIME A WANT TO INK CHARGE MY PRINTER ITS APPEARING AN ERROR CAN NOT RECOGNIZE THE MEGENTA AND NOW ITS PRODUCING A GRINDING NOISE.. I HAVE NOTICE THAT EVERYTIME A PRINT THE PLACE WERE WE ARE PUTTING THE PAPER IS SOME KIND NARROW...

HELP PLEASE..

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Anonymous (3/7/10 10:18 PM) reply + / -
GOOD EVENING...

I AM USING EPSON STYLUS T10 FOR A NEW NOW AND I CONVERTED IT TO CISS AND THEN EVERYTIME A WANT TO INK CHARGE MY PRINTER ITS APPEARING AN ERROR CAN NOT RECOGNIZE THE MEGENTA AND NOW ITS PRODUCING A GRINDING NOISE.. I HAVE NOTICE THAT EVERYTIME A PRINT THE PLACE WERE WE ARE PUTTING THE PAPER IS SOME KIND NARROW...

HELP PLEASE..

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Anonymous (3/7/10 10:23 PM) reply + / -
GOOD EVENING...

I AM USING EPSON STYLUS T10 FOR A months NOW, AND I CONVERTED IT TO CISS AND THEN EVERYTIME A WANT TO INK CHARGE MY PRINTER ITS APPEARING AN ERROR CAN NOT RECOGNIZE THE MEGENTA AND NOW ITS PRODUCING A GRINDING NOISE.. I HAVE NOTICE THAT EVERYTIME A PRINT THE PLACE WERE WE ARE PUTTING THE PAPER IS SOME KIND NARROW... and some one told me about the timing because the part where the cartridge is resting the one that holds the cartridge sometime is stock.....

HELP PLEASE.. asap

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by missymiss (2/28/11 7:27 AM) reply + / -
I changed my black ink cartridges in my Epson 7600 printer now it's not working. It prints a white page.

Epson Stored Printer for 10yrs will it Still Work? by xelorwatch (6/26/11 4:13 PM) reply + / -
Purchased an Epson (sorry don't have model nbr. as Im Not near home) Printer in March of 1999. Used it for 2-1/2 years (No Problems) then because of remodeling put in TV cabinet. I haven't opened the cabinet nor the Printer because of personal reasons. Now things are better and I am thinking what needs to be done for this $125.00 Epson? I hope I removed the Ink cartridges - but can't be sure now. It's more of a challenge than too simply purchase a new printer today. I'm concerned about the 'Head' and the 'Nozzles' and how best to clean them. I don't even know if I can find Ink cartridges for that 1999 model?? But I do know of a site that offers a Free Epson Driver compatible Update Download - and Online I can purchase an inexpensive USB/Parallel Port Cable for connection to My New Notebook. But I also can't locate the Installation Software CD and am wondering if Windows 7 would recognize the Printer?

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by moe (6/27/11 11:23 AM) reply + / -
Sitting unused for that many years, there's no hope of flushing the clogged nozzles.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by shezek (8/12/11 10:08 AM) reply + / -
My Epson cx7400 swallowed a half sheet of paper and is terminally jammed. I tried the solutions on the help site but nothing worked. I've taken out every screw I can find but nothing comes apart and I cannot get to the place where I know the paper is jammed though I cannot see even the tiniest corner of it.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Rudy_AZ (8/12/11 12:35 PM) reply + / -
how to remove a paper jam from a Espon CX9400 all in one printer fax machine from back feeder tray and roller from bottom. It give an error message even when I know that there is nothing there. I have taken it 1/2 apart. Any ideas?

R280 Magenta doesn't print by Chet1 (8/13/11 4:32 PM) reply + / -
Anyone out there can help with this problem?
I have a R280 which I use mainly to print CD/DVDs with and not used very often. I ran out of magenta ink so I replaced it with a new cartridge (Epson brand) and now I can't get the magenta to print at all on the nozzle check. I performed the head cleaning cycle no less than 10 times and still it's not working. Please help! Thanks.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by crystal nichols09 (2/6/12 9:22 AM) reply+1 + / -
I have a epson nx515 printer/scanner/copier and I bought new ink cartridges for the printer and tried to print things out and the pages came out blank but the info said the black ink had been used but there was no ink on the pages. What do I do to fix this printer?

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by printguy11 (2/7/12 12:29 AM) reply + / -
That all sounds good to me Mr. Conway. Personally I love Epson printers having had nine of them so far and my wife being an artist just especially loves her 1400 model and was printing dozens of full color prints of both her art work and her photographs. I try to keep it all working for her and to make it all affordable I installed a CIS system when we first started using the printer. Now It is just in the room unable to work since I received the Epson message that this printer has reached the end of it's useful life and shut down. The pads are fine, i installed a waste ink tank when I installed the cis system. I do understand why Epson wants people to buy their OEM cartridges. After all one set of six costs as much as a lot of the lower end printers so the money is good, however if I had to pay that I wouldn't have a printer at all since I'm retired on a fixed income. I once figured out that if I took the amount of ink in the oem cartridges times the cost per cartridge and compared the total cost of a set of the 240 mil ink bottles I can get for about $70.00 with those using the oem carts it would cost me $1400 dollars. But if that was the only way then Epson wouldn't have made any money on me at all because I would never have started printing. The Epson policy of using counters and firmware to shut down my wife's printer just amazes me. In my mind I imagine an Epson ceo driving his new, very expensive car that without warning shuts down at say seventy five thousand miles and never will run again. I'm only telling you all this as an Epson employee because I need to tell someone that I think this policy is so high handed and unfair. I've read for years the reports from Epson about the evils of third party inks and cis systems and the other day I see that now Epson makes the L100 and the L200 printers for sale in Indonesia with their own cis system and ink bags at reduced rates but they are not available in the usa? I guess that may change if the people here wake up and refuse to buy Epson products? I won't bet on that even though now that the economy is in the toilet we Americans are sort of programed to pay higher prices than people elsewhere! Sorry, I just realized I'm ranting a bit and that was not my intent, I was just looking for ideas online and saw your comments and you sounds like a fair minded kind of guy so I want you to know I appreciate that you want to do what you can to help fellow print enthusiasts. Right now I've been researching everything I can to find out about resetter utilities. Actually I went to Epson and was so happy to see that they had a reset code available and I downloaded that and was feeling great when it worked and the printer printed again for about 50 more perfect prints. But then a new box appeared on the PC showing all six cartridges with red X's and the printer stopped. Nothing I tried has got it going again and I have since heard that Epson might actually have used the reset program to also install firmware code that shut my wife's printer down for good. If true, that would be about the worst thing I've ever heard about what a company is willing to do to make a dollar. I'm keeping an open mind about that. Guess I've talked enough and you said you were long on replies! ( LOL) Have a good day and happy printing! ..Printguy11

Re: GENERAL INFO ON PRINTERS - UNRELIABILITY, ETC. by LindaW (2/15/12 3:02 AM) reply + / -
Ditto. I had an Epson, and after working on it for at least a month...I finally gave up the ghost. Bought a Kodak Easyshare 5500....and it worked fine until I had to leave for 3 months (for a job)...came back and everything had dried out. I ended up having to buy a new printhead (out of warranty). Now it's developed a permanent paper jam (& I've unsuccessfully followed the obvious "tips"). So...I've spent the 2 weeks looking for a new printer (and waiting to hear back from Kodak tech support). I've been diligent in reading new all-in-one printer reviews, but I have to contend with:
1) GREED --Companies are Companies are "soaking us with their ink" (beware small capacity cartridges, companies are sabotaging refills.
2) INCOMPETENCE - Printing technology (as least "ink jet" that I've experience with) seems to "not be ready for prime time". Too prone to breakage, malfunction. I haven't been able to determine which company has the highest quality of machinery.....even when I read a comment "they're the best", there's always a tag line "of the worst"). How hard can it be to make a paper feed assembly work correctly? And shouldn't there be a "trap door" we can use to get into the innards to remove any caught bits of paper? Why should be forced to prematurely throw away a machine with a user-reparable malfunction (if only we know the way to get "access"). I must have read 30 queries here asking "how to open up the printer", and "where are the paper sensors" (with no one sending a URL of a photo of the interior showing the sensors. What is this? a Masonic secret? If it's just a matter of "cheap materials" causing these problems, I would be willing to pay extra for a durable reliable all-in-one.
3) SECRECY -Lack of repair photos (i.e. of the interior, showing sensors) on line. (and strangely none that pertain to my brand).
...all those unemployed Americans....wouldn't it be nice if we had an American printer company that actually built printers here, with good materials and high standards? (Kodak is going bankrupt, but I think they built their printers in Asia somewhere).

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Mike^2 (2/20/12 7:37 AM) reply + / -
I have an Epson CX5000. I have only used Epson original ink cartridges. I have been experiencing ink smears on the printed sheets and have done repeated printhead cleanings. It sounds as if I need to do a carriage cleaning. Would you be able send to me the procedure to clean the carriage?
Thanks.

Re: cx7400 ink contact is broken, is it fixable? by epsoncx7400! (5/15/12 5:27 PM) reply + / -
When I trouble shot on line, it shows total lack of any cartridge in the space where my new Epson magenta cartridge is in the cartridge cage. I called Epson and they're sending a new cartridge. That's not the problem though.
I then took a flash light and a tweezer and looked in the cartridge cage and found what looked like a staple. I found via the Internet, that this printer is not working because of a broken small leaf spring, which is usually at the back of the cartridge cage. It looks like a new leaf spring (the metal contact thing that looked like a staple) needs to be inserted in the vacant space where it has broken off. Would that fix the contact problem, or is it more complicated than that?

It seems like such a waste to throw the whole printer out because of small piece of metal. If so, my next printer won't be an Epson. Any suggestions/recomendations on printers would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Blinkin (6/22/12 11:50 AM) reply + / -
hey all, have someone got a problem with Epson Office T30 that change into Office ME70? How to fix the problem? Anyone have Epson Office Me 70 driver in english version?
thanks

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by faith26 (8/14/12 2:12 AM) reply + / -
hi...my epson L100 printer spilled its ink inside...and the circuit board got wet with the ink...will it still be repaired??plss...pls...advise

Re: Epson T60 printer no power by Iqbal Khan (8/16/12 4:45 PM) reply + / -
Hi .... my epson T60 was printing nicely but suddenly power light goes off .
after that I cheak all possible couses, but nothing works .
Ple tell me what to do ?

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by shanemc2311 (8/21/12 1:38 PM) reply + / -
I have 2 epson printers myself. my 1st printer my workhorse my little epson D78 thanks chris,has never let me down,i have reset the ink counters and serviced it my self using adjustment,programes and service programes.Its about 6yrs old,well i have had it for 6yrs from a friend and its never let me down and printers will last if you look after them,use good quality inks,i really don't aggree with using genuine inks,but buy good quality inks,i use cartridge world refilled inks and they have never let me down. But i also buy 25 packs bundles on ebay from UK sellers.i also refill my inks sometimes my self,its abit messy but does save you money. So if you know what your doing...read and watch utube video tutorials.I also have a R300 epson CD printer and i have serviced it my self ,bought it off ebay second hand and paid £40+£10 postage,It had a printhead problem,i service cleaned the printheads it and now works like a dream.So read up and read feeds and take notice of well educated epson service engineers.If you follow steps properly then you can service your own printers simple.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by shanemc2311 (8/21/12 1:40 PM) reply + / -
Does anyone have the WIC programe for a R200 and R300 models please send to me shane2311@hotmail.co.uk,plus the R200 adjustment programe and people out there who can help me or have the Epson engineers CD.thankyou.

Re: Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by shanemc2311 (8/21/12 1:54 PM) reply + / -
i have reset my printer R300 and have serviced it. i have service disks.so i you want me to send you copies via email compressed attachments...shane2311@hotmail.co.uk these should help you.drop me an email.

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by rarebook (10/30/12 7:48 PM) reply + / -
i have an epson c88 that i have used the resetting utility on . i use these for sublimation prining and this usually does the trick. does anyone know how to get the c88 into programming mode. i have the pape and ink lights flashing and the error" printer parts at end of their service". i have gotten to the point where the paper light is flashing now and do not know what to do after that....do i hold ink and paper lights down for 10 seconds? that does not seem to work... does anyone know how to get this printer into programming mode???

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Linda27 (11/1/12 12:04 AM) reply + / -
Hello,
I am newbie here from UK ....Happy and excited to be here!!Hope i will stay here for along time!!
I just want say hello to all members here! :D

Re: GENERAL INFO ON EPSON INK JET PRINTERS, ALL MODELS by Blinkin (11/11/12 6:05 AM) reply+1 + / -
After long and hard working for me (lol) at last i can use my Epson office Me 70 in English (before Chinese).
If anyone want it, you can can mail me for the driver of Epson Office Me70 in English language

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters