fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by RadarMan (9/10/10 10:37 AM) reply + / -
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum, sorry if I've duplicated a thread I didn't find.

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless printer that keeps reporting a paper jam. However, I've reviewed all the methods of looking for paper pieces and have found nothing. I've read about bad or stuck sensors in other threads having phantom paper jams. Is there some way to determine what might be causing this problem so I can repair the printer on my own?

I've also noticed that the unit gives me an improper shutdown error as well and tells me to turn the unit on and off with the units power button and not a switch on the power switch. However, using the units power button makes no difference.

When the unit is turned on the carage will begin a "search rutine" but will eventually go all the way to the left side when the carrage is directly above the ink cartigages, make a strange clicking sound for a few seconds and then the carrage will move to the right about 4 inches and stop. Then the paper jam error message is given.

Thanks in advance!
RadarMan

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by SameIssue (9/14/10 5:24 PM) reply+1 + / -
I have the same issue, and my printer is out of warranty...come to find out, somehow there is a cog wheel that busted on the left side under the carriage return, but its on the paper feed roller....I've been trying to find documentation on how to take that thing apart. I have all the pieces now and I am attempting to super glue that peice back together to see if I can fix it, but it's not easily accomplished unless I can get into the thing. And then......I'm not even sure it will work, it depends on how much torque that thing gets, so it may not even hold up. If you know of any documentation out there to tear this apart let me know, and maybe this leads you to your issue/resolution as well. Hope yours is an easier fix.

Cheers

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by michelsmith (9/14/10 9:17 PM) reply + / -
Check the following information.......
http://h30434.www3.hp.com

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by hp-printer-dave (10/5/10 8:20 AM) reply + / -
I repair printers for a living but, these darn inkjet printers are failing left & right & after hours of trying & not getting them fixed, my policy is to not charge the customer if I haven,t done any good so I am losing valuable time on these!!!

I have torn the Officejet pro 8500 all apart & whish I had filmed it or photoed the proceedure; it is not any worse than other all in ones but takes some tear down skills to not break any plastic clips.

I have seen 3 of these now that exhibit the exact "paper jam" symptoms as the other users described. After verifying that the paper sensor is good I believe it is either a bad main logic board ot the wierd black clutch unit with the spring inside it on the left end of the printer that the carrage hits & rotates it to what looks like 4 different positions & it doesn't seem to rotate properly.

OH please somebody come up with a valid fix for this. HP's answer is pethetically lacking --- "turn the printer off & wait 5 min. & turn on again", or, "remove the back cover & then the jamed paper & re-install the back cover & hit OK". I whish the fix was that simple.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by RadarMan (10/5/10 8:41 AM) reply + / -
HP-printer-dave and Sameissue,

Thanks for your input. I know for a fact that my paper sensor is working properly. I suspect, as dave mentioned, that the problem might be the main logic board. However, your comments on the "wierd black clutch unit" is also intriging. My printer is currenlty in a million pieces on my work bench.

I'm curious to know if SameIssue had any success with glueing the black pieces back together.

Thanks,
RadarMan

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by SameIssue (10/8/10 2:56 PM) reply + / -
I have it partially apart on my table.....I haven't attempted to tear it down any further. The darn thing is difficult to take apart and I do not want to break anything.....of course a few broken pieces to fix the main issue would be better than a non-working printer. I will attempt to tear it apart all the way and try my "solution" and let you know if that fixes it.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by buyb4ur2l8 (10/10/10 6:31 PM) reply+1 + / -
I have receive the fake paper jam message. I also get the improper shutdown error, but I think that is because the ink carriage does not return to its proper position do to the paper jam and then the printer gets turned off. I do not believe it is a logic board issue. It is making a clicking sound just before the error message appears like the tiny plastic gears are slipping. Upon further investigation inside the black clutch (inside left hand side of printer), there is a white piece that is suppose to move to the right and engage its black counterpart. When this happens a gear is moved to the right and engages the paper feed. If there is no paper movement a paper error is received. The white part of the clutch is suppose to be forced to the right, but mine is split so it just slides past the pin that is suppose to move it. The way I noticed was to open up the printer cover to view the print carriage. Insert a small piece of plastic to fake the printer into thinking the cover was closed. Hit OK to tell the printer I cleared the jam and watched with a flashlight(several times) The print carriage blocks the view some times as it goes by, but i can definitely see the split. So if anyone know where I can buy this poorly made piece of plastic and the best way to replace it, please let me know. Thanks.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Mergatroid (11/2/10 12:26 PM) reply + / -
We have been looking at a lot of HP all-in-ones with this same or similar paper feeding mechanism. I cannot believe how poorly HP designed this unit. How long have they been doing printers? You'd think they would know better by now. I have discussed this with the manager of our local HP authorized service shop. He says there are no parts available for these paper feed mechanisms. We have had three units with the same clutch pieces broken, and two units that crumple the paper during a feed for no reason we can find. The best explanation I can come up with is that the pickup rollers are picking up the paper but the feed rollers are not turning causing the crumple jam.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by robinson torralbo (1/25/11 7:49 AM) reply + / -
tengo el mismo problema la hp 8500 pro dice que el le meta papel pero lo tiene
y nop imprime creo que tendriamos que juntarnios y demandar esta fabrica por la estafa en masa por que eso es lo que creol que es una estafa millonaria atodos casi les dice igualmente papel tascado penada que tiene

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by sameboat (2/14/11 7:19 PM) reply + / -
someone tell me what to do with this printer with the fake paper jam. is the only solution is buy a different printer?

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by moe (2/14/11 9:55 PM) reply + / -
Yes. It really doesn't matter which current model or brand. They're pretty much all cheap Chinese crap. Don't spend too much on one as they only last about a year anymore. On HP models you can tell by s/ns. CH prefix is China, SN Singapore, JP is Japan.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by moe (2/14/11 9:55 PM) reply + / -
Yes. It really doesn't matter which current model or brand. They're pretty much all cheap Chinese crap. Don't spend too much on one as they only last about a year anymore. On HP models you can tell by s/ns. CH prefix is China, SN Singapore, JP is Japan.

One solution to fake paper jam by rblinton (2/19/11 3:04 PM) reply + / -
I was getting the same fake paper jam and improper shutdown error messages on this POS printer. I blew it out with compressed air - but that was no help. To watch what was going on, I stuck a pen top in the open cover switch sensor (see top image at http://windowshopusa.com/hp_8500_POS.html ). It didn't appear that the cog wheel was the problem - it made no clicking noise or anything - the print head just traversed from R to L, then errored.

After I removed the sliding cover on the right, and with the print heads out of the way, I noticed that the chrome hold-down clip (bottom image) was crooked, and this prevented the print heads from traveling all the way to the right, causing the fake paper jam. Straightening the clip fixed the problem. (I didn't have to remove the clip, just pushed it straight - it's not in very tight.)

HTH

Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by sunny7 (3/12/11 6:47 PM) reply + / -
I am having the same issue with my HP 8500. I have read all over the internet and believe my issue was the gears inside that black cover thing. In trying to push the gears around with a screwdriver (as suggested on HP forum), my black cover thing popped off. I believe I have fixed the gear issue but now can't get that black cover thing back on properly.

I am trying to take apart the printer so that I might get better access to it. It sounds like you have experience taking this printer apart. I can't find anything on how to do this (other than just unscrewing everything I see).

If you have any info on the proper steps to disassembling the printer, please let me know.

Thanks

Re: Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by RadarMan (3/12/11 6:48 PM) reply + / -
It's been so long now since I worked on this printer. I ended up parting mine out on ebay... I'm affraid that I can't help you with disassembly instructions except to say be very patient and care full. I remember that there were parts of the printer that snaped together with clips. You have to be careful removing these or they might break. If you're taking it apart and can't find screws but it feels stuck look for small, white plastic clips. They can be loosed with a screw driver.

Good Luck with you printer. I finally bought a new Cannon Pixma MG6120 printer and love it!!!!!

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by nevarDeath (3/15/11 8:43 AM) reply+1 + / -
I have fixed this issue before. The fake paper jam issue is a white gear underneath that black clutch cover on the left side. The black cover will pop off and is impossible to get back on without disassembling the printer.

That white gear cracks as previously mentioned. If you can very carefully super glue it, it will continue working just fine. Also you have to be careful not to super glue the gear to the metal roller as it does need to move a bit.

The way to know for sure if your gear is cracked would be to try to print something, and watch the paper pickup area. Normally a roller will pop down and start pushing the paper. If your gear is cracked, it won't pop down (or pop back up if it's down when you start the print)

I did take pictures and whand-wrote instructions when disassembling it and am working on a guide. I'm not very far along with it and cannot promise a finish date due to the fact I have a job and family to take care of.

For those of you that say this is a poor design, it's actually excellent except for this clutch part. The previous generation of these (L7500) has got to be the worst design on this planet. They improved a lot in the 8000 & 8500 models

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by ClutchIssue (3/21/11 4:31 PM) reply + / -
Pictures would be great.

Super glue the white clutch? Has anyone actually tried this?

Also, the black cover popped out and it seems impossible to put back around the silver rod. Assuming I fix the white/black clutch mechanism, is this black cover necessary for the printer to work?

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by nevarDeath (3/21/11 5:47 PM) reply+1 + / -
yes super glue on the white gear will fix it. the first one I did was 9 months ago and its still going strong. the black casing is essential to the proper operation of the printer. the carriage hits that black peice that sticks out of it, which activates the clutch. I have tried and tried to put it on without talking apart the printer and have been unable to do so. also is you look inside of the black peice, there are little walls on one side, those have too be slotted in correctly , or it won't work

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by foglikecat (3/22/11 7:19 PM) reply + / -
you are describing the exact problem I am having, even down to the weird shaking sound....

I just paid 37 dollars for out of warranty phone tech service, and we went through stuff that you can do with the hp helps on line, and of course it did not fix it....

I do think that "clutch" idea is intriguing---it just cannot pull the paper through and it makes sense that some of the rollers on the left side are not working properly

gene

Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by moe (3/22/11 9:54 PM) reply + / -
That really sucks that you still have to pay them $37 for something that they didn't do anything for. Did you know that the people you speak to on the phone have absolutely no hands on tech experience with printers? They just read from a script. The smart ones might come to this site. I know that there's at least one that does so. I would definitely dispute the charge on your credit card statement.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by nutdust (3/23/11 10:03 AM) reply + / -
Does anyone have printer recommendations for something similar in functionality to this crappy HP printer we've been talking about here?
I'm looking for a Multi-functional ink jet printer from $300 - $500. Something reliable that will last more than 2 years and will support 4-5 users in a small office.

Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by moe (3/23/11 10:21 AM) reply + / -
Good luck with that. Almost all MFCs are now built in China. They are engineered and built as cheaply as possible. There is no attempt to make them last longer than a year. There are no replacement parts available to facilitate repair. They are not designed to be disassembled in any case. Pick a manufacturer, any manufacturer and they're all guilty of the same philosophy. Build them cheap, sell the ink cartridges for thousands of dollars a gallon. Keep on pumping out new models every month and make sure that they can't use any previous models ink cartridges.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by cityzip (3/23/11 12:04 PM) reply + / -
I'm looking at the HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw Color MFP
Model: CE862A #BGJ

AMZN: $380
3 out of 5 stars (10 reviews)

Newegg: $450
5 out of 5 stars (5 reviews)
Add 1-year extended warranty for only $40.

Best Buy: $450 (but $350 online)
3.7 out of 5 stars (3 reviews)

Cnet:
3 out 5 stars (2 reviews)

Perhaps I'll pick up an extended warranty.

Thoughts?

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by nevarDeath (3/23/11 3:09 PM) reply + / -
@nutdust - Moe is pretty much correct. I still contend this is the best of the HP bunch, but clearly I'm alone on that.

@cityzip - Beware of cheap color laser printers. The reason they are so affordable is because the cost of the cartridges will eat you up. They are small and expensive. They are very difficult to remanufacture, so if you try to save money that way, you will likely get a lot of duds until you find a competent remanufacturer. Get a used LaserJet 3600, you won't be disappointed.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by ClutchIssue (3/29/11 11:06 AM) reply + / -
Can pics be posted on here?

Anyway, I super-glued the white clutch. No idea if any glue got onto the silver rod though.

I can't seem to get the plastic black cover around the rod, so the printer is still dead.

So frustrating...

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by PaulaAnne8 (4/19/11 2:55 PM) reply + / -
Just today the exact same thing happened to me! Improper shutdown, won't reboot correctly, won't shut down correctly, paper jam message, incorrect shutdown message, am pulling my hair out!!!! I have opened the cover and used the pen top to fool the f'in thing into thinnking the cover isn't open, and saw the white cog wheel thing and it does seem to be broken. When I click the OK button and the carriage starts moving, it stops right over the white/black cog things and all I get is clicking sounds.

My 8500 is only 2 years old! I don't think I can take it apart to super glue the white cog - I'm not that handy. Should I just buy a new NON-HP printer?

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by airjames (4/28/11 11:38 AM) reply + / -
Same thing happened to my HP Officejet Pro 8000 A809. Paper Jam. I press Resume and the green check comes out. It makes a motor sound twice with short pause in between. Then the carriage starts moving(sounds springy as it shakes) then moves left and right. I tried cleaning, moving rollers, feeding paper through, shaking the paper roller up and down, air compressor while turned upside down. Nothing works. The paper pick up gear that was mentioned above needs a try but I don't know where to find this. I would look at it more but I feel like HP doesn't care so I'm not gonna waste my time w/ this any more. I give up on HP printers.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Desmobee (5/11/11 1:28 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem. reading the above I tried to see what this white cog and clutch cover look like. I pushed a pen in the cover sensor hole and watched the thing going back and forth and not engaging. The clutch cover has a spring inside and a lever on the left, I kept on hitting the OK button after the paper jam error and moved the clutch cover left and right using the lever and pressing against the spring. The assembly then engaged and it is now printing. I only printed one page and do not know if this will hold or not. Will update if I discover something new...

Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by tjanson (5/21/11 10:51 AM) reply+1 + / -
I just repaired my printer with the fake paper jam and the paper feed not pulling in paper. It was the white cog piece that was broken on the left side behind the inkjet. I did it by gluing the white cog together and then managed to get the black piece back on by taking some tape and taping the ends so the piece still had some flexibility and gently inserted the back underneath the cogs and silver rod and springs and pushed in place the black front piece without it falling apart. This was a tedious and long google process that I didn't know what was the cause - until I read all of these posts. Thank you to all of you!

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by callalily (5/22/11 4:33 PM) reply + / -
Well, I'll be damned! Just read where somebody posted that rapping sharply on the top of one of these printers might reset it. I didn't just do that; I actually picked it up and set it back down - hard! Lucky I didn't throw it against the wall as it is the second or third one of these I have seen fail with this error message.

The printer started resetting itself with the message to not turn it off or do anything until it had completed its cycle. Next thing to come up was the window with date & time and ink levels. Sent document to print and IT WORKS FINE!

Go figure.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by h82b_sour (6/2/11 2:32 PM) reply + / -
I've fished out the broken white cog. I did my best Operation impression and tweezed out both black pieces. Now I'm thoroughly intimidated on how to get the black piece back together with the proper orientation. I'm confident I can glue the cog onto the rod, but can someone explain the black cover to me?
I see how the two halves of the black cover snap together, but I'm unsure of the proper orientation of the black cover on the rod.

I've posted some pics on flickr, (I'm new to it, so let me know if you can't see them for some reason) they aren't the best so please don't hate.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63431470@N05/

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by h82b_sour (6/2/11 2:49 PM) reply + / -
As far as the black cover orientation, does the arm on the cover point to the right or to the left. I just added two more pics to hopefully clarify what I'm asking.

Thank you!!

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by h82b_sour (edited 6/2/11 4:45 PM) reply+1 + / -
Ok, I apologize for all this info in a piecemeal fashion. But I work on it, then get frustrated and post, then work on it, then post. Here's my last post for awhile (I need a break from this and could use some helpful hints from those who have seen success.

Things I learned:
1. The black cover arm appears to go to the left and fit in a groove at the top of a white piece that is on the far left* (it contacts the spring mechanism).

2. Temporarily taping/splinting the black cover helps me get both pieces onto the assembly intact, but it's still a B*!@#^H to try and close the two (I've yet to succeed)

Questions I still have:

1. Does positioning of the black cog (the part that mates with the white cog) matter? It appears to "lock" into approximately three different positions. What I call a rear position, a neutral position and a forward position*.

2. Do I need to do anything with the hanging paper feeder mechanism (i.e., push it up and try to lock it in place, etc.) or once everything is reattached will that do its own thing?

3. Does it matter if the white cog is mated with the black cog when I attempt to place the black cover on, or does it need to be disengaged and pressed up against the spring?

4. Is there any significance for the groove* on the left side (spring side) of the white cog?

*new pics available (http://www.flickr.com/photos/63431470@N05/sets/72157626747193237/)

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to give!

I hope together we can find a solution to this so we don't have to replace our printers (or worse yet, pay HP to fix it).

-Craig

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by nevarDeath (6/2/11 4:41 PM) reply+1 + / -
You are correct about the positioning of the black cover. The arm goes to the left. The white cog needs to sit approx 3-4cm away from the black gear.

I have taken a couple of these apart to fix this problem and everytime have tried to put the black peice back on without taking the printer apart and have never got it to go like that. I've always had to take apart the printer.

Also with your cog being broken in 2 peices, I have doubts about whether it will still work. The first time I saw this problem, I had the whole printer disassembled and there was a very slight crack through that cog. I didn't think the small crack would cause it, but after discussing it with my boss, he told me to go ahead and super glue it and see if that fixed it. It did fix it and still hasn't broke again after more than a year.

The point of the story is that gear has to be very tight around the rod.

Also in one of your above posts, you said "glue thge white cog to the rod" I hope you didn't mean literally put glue under the cog to secure it to the rod. just glue to cog peices back together around the rod. That cog gets moved into the black gear to actuate the arm, so you want the white cog to be able to slide along the rod.

To answer your questions:
1) I don't believe positioning of the black cog matters. I never tried to move it independently of anything else. I don't know for sure, but if I was a betting man I would say it doesn't matter. I've fixed 3 of these and never ran into a situation where I needed to change its position or had an issue related to it. Just put the white cog on so the teeth will mesh with the black when the printer moves it over.

2) No it doesn't matter. The printer will figure out where it is when it's turned on and move it wherever it chooses.

3) Don't mesh the white cog with the black one when you put it on! I forget the exact positioning of the white cog, mostly because I always glue it while still attached to the rod and have never moved it anywhere. I will have to get my external hard drive and look at the pictures I took while working on it.

4) None that I have been able to tell

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by nevarDeath (6/2/11 4:51 PM) reply + / -
Here's a picture that may give you a little insight
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/nevarDeath/pictopost.jpg

Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by h82b_sour (6/2/11 4:56 PM) reply + / -
Thanks!

Haha, no I didn't mean glue the cog to the rod, I just meant glue the cog WHILE on the rod. Thanks for the catch.

I've never taken a printer apart. What's your best estimate on level of difficulty (i.e., should I attempt it)? Do I need a special driver set to remove to screws, if so what kind?

Thank you very much for you help!!

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by nevarDeath (6/2/11 5:06 PM) reply + / -
The 8000 is doable. I think it's pretty easy, but I'm used to HP's absurd ways of putting these together. I started a service manual for this thing, just never finished as my boss didn't care and I value family time. You need a Torx driver T10 size.

I don't remember it well enough off the top of my head at this very moment. I DO remember you have to take off the back panel around the duplexer, then the right side cover (right side if you're looking at the front of the printer). Then take out the cartridges and undo the screws on the cartridge holder. Then the left side cover, then the top black peice. At that point you should be able to get at this area.

email me for pictures daniel.hargett at gmail.com

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by wehsmith (6/18/11 4:41 PM) reply + / -
I have an 8000 that will not pick up paper unless I fill tray and help along by pushing the top sheet in. It seems that there is not enough friction from the roller that drops down to take the paper...any easy fix for this???

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by nevarDeath (6/18/11 8:47 PM) reply + / -
@wehsmith - Take the back panel (or duplexer, depends what youhave) off and clean the rollers back there. Also you need to clean the roller that drops down, which is tricky. Use a lint-free cloth, like a microfiber cloth, and get it very lightly damp and wipe the rollers off.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by patterson (6/25/11 10:49 AM) reply + / -
After moving the print head to the right I looked down into the machine at the far left down into the small open area with a flash light and indeed I saw the broken gear (half of it, not sure where the other half is) and the black cover in two pieces. Fished them out. Not worth repairing. HP will do a partinal rebate exchange for $204 for the Pro 8500A Plus. This is the way to go for me. Thanks for all the help!

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Savoy (6/29/11 4:06 PM) reply + / -
I have succesfully repaired the 8500 gear. It was broken completely in half. The job took me 4.5 hrs. I disassembled the printer removing the outer covers and then the carriage assy. The covers are tricky to remove and include removing the scanner assembly. The white gear meshes with the left side of the black gear. The small indents on the left side of the white gear contacts a small screw that is threaded into the shaft. I used Epoxy to glue the halves back together. Since the white gear is stationary it is ok (in fact a good idea) to glue it to the shaft in my opinion. The black cover piece actually engages the black gear to the white gear. The black cover has a channel that fits around the white washers on each end and compresses the springs.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by enzo28 (edited 7/2/11 10:49 AM) reply + / -
I do not know if this will last, but the post by Savoy fixes the problem. I kind of took a shortcut. My company threw away one of these printers for that very reason. I took it home, engaged the white gear to the black gear and used a hot saudering iron to melt the white gear back together. The white gear has to be realigned with the bump on the shaft, but it works for now. The only disassembly I did was removing the left panel so I could rotate the shaft. Only use this method as a last resort. If you melt the gear too much, it will be permanently broken.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by foglikecat (7/2/11 5:20 PM) reply + / -
I feel good for all of you, but I cannot get past first base....I have half-way taken apart large printers when I was a computer system manager in the 80s & 90s, but these ink jet printers are way past my mechanically stupid mind.

Does anyone want to look at my printer? I will be so grateful....and I will pay - tough times, but money comes in once in a while...

gene

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Jam error caused by ... by Diskratt (7/15/11 7:37 AM) reply + / -
On my 8500 Printer, I got errors due to damage to the ink delivery hoses, crimped, and blocking the carriage. I have disassembled it, and found that 2 ink hoses need to be replaced, however I have not been able to locate these cables anywhere. Does anyone have an idea of where I can find the ink hoses or compatible replacement hose for the 8500? Thanks

Diskratt

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by wehsmith (7/20/11 9:21 AM) reply + / -
Sorry for delay...
Stupid me didn't do my research before posting... firmware update from hp fixed mine (for now at least)...
Thanks everybody.

Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Jam error caused by ... by RadarMan (7/20/11 9:45 AM) reply + / -
Diskratt,

Let me go home tonight and see if I still have my printer tubes. I dismanteled my printer some time back and tried to sell parts on Ebay. I'm not sure if I sold the ink tubes or not. If I have it at home I'll let you know.

RadarMan.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by wellphd (7/26/11 4:42 PM) reply + / -
In my case the carriaage belt has disengaged from the carriage. This leads to the jam messages. Since the carriage does not return to disengage the paper roller or park during shutdown, I also get the shutdown error. I called HP and it is not their policy to give out the Hardware Service Manual in order that I be able to re-engage the belt. I have made it my policy not to buy HP products. Unfortunately I CANNOT fixmyownHPprinter.

wellphd

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Cal67 (8/13/11 9:07 AM) reply + / -
Thanks guys for all the info posted re the problem. I too followed your directions and repaired the broken white cog with some epoxy resin. I did manage to replace the black cover without stripping the unit. I put the unit on it's side and taped the two parts of the cover together at the bottom. I then managed to get the back in place and held it there with a screwdriver through the round hole on the bottom of the printer. I then managed to wriggle it onto place and snap the two pieces together. The white washer on the left didn't go into the grove for it on the black cover but the printer works fine as it is. Hopefully this will help others. P.S. a second pair of hands to hold the screwdriver against the rear cover when closing helps.

Cal.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Dan C (edited 10/10/11 2:51 PM) reply + / -
Noticed the broken feed gear and cover inside the printer and found this thread looking for an answer on how to fix. As a former hardware tech from many years back, the notion of a broken $.25 gear rendering an otherwise perfect functioning $300 printer with over $100 of spare ink cartridges in my desk draw useless is preposterous. I will take a look at the pictures and figure out how to pull the side cover and fax assembly out to super glue the two halves of the white gear back together although simply putting a new gear in its place would seem like a much better solution than using super glue

HP ought to be ashamed of itself for letting such a poor quality product without any spare parts for what should be an easy fix out the door.

BTW, I found this option for getting a newer version of the same printer so I guess HP is feeling guilty about putting such a POS out there.

http://livehotdeals.com

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by makemyday (10/13/11 3:31 PM) reply + / -
This is the second HP printer to give me great problems. It never worked right. Likewise, I have had many problems with two HP laptops and a notebook. Hard disk crashes. Constant prompts asking me to rate their tech "helpers." One lasted only five days. I had problems with a Chrysler MiniVan defect that the company refused to fix even after it broke for the third time. My solution. I will never ever, ever, ever buy any HP or Chrysler product again. They build cheap, defective products with the crappyist parts around. No More. I repeat - I will never ever again buy HP or Chrysler products. Pass this on to your buddies. Go viral with it!

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by moe (10/13/11 3:43 PM) reply + / -
Having owned a Chrysler minivan, I have to agree. HP laptops/computers are also crap. As for printers, HP still makes some good ones. For the most part all low end printers, either ink or laser are made in China. China and crap both start with the same letter. It really won't do you any good to switch brands as they're pretty much all crap. Only made to last up to the warranty period. Then you have to toss it and guess what, the replacement uses different ink or toner.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by warbird (10/25/11 12:28 PM) reply + / -
I have an OfficeJet 8500 Pro with the same symptom. It displays a paper jam and the carriage hangs out on the left side. Thanks to this web site and HP's message board I was able to resolve the problem. In regards to the gear/clutch ass'y, inside the black houseing that moves left and right is a white nylon cog for lack of a better term that was hanging up on the left side and not moving to the right and engaging. I sprayed some WD-40 on it and that resolved the problem. Just to add a little bit more to the explanation when the carriage would stop just to the right of the left side (menu displayed paper jam) one could see the white cog sitting to the left and disengaged from the ass'y on the right side. This is all within the black housing that moves left and right.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by roma (11/25/11 3:20 PM) reply + / -
My printer is 3 weeks old. I had a paper jam, removed everything as instructed and still had paper jam error message. After I would hit ok it would send out sheets of paper and stop working in middle of the third sheet each time. HP worked with me for two hours and could not fix it. This is my 4th HP and none have lasted more then two years, now 3 weeks into it I have requested a refund. Help who has a good brand?

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by patsome (11/29/11 12:57 PM) reply + / -
Thanks very much for the comments and suggestions. The problem that I have with my printer is exactly as has been described. I hope that it can be repaired using the suggested methods. It is a real shame that HP doesn't provide spare parts to fix problems of this nature.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by matt0245 (12/1/11 8:23 AM) reply + / -
does anyone know where i can order a replacement part for that white cog?

Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by moe (12/1/11 9:30 AM) reply + / -
Not available. There aren't any parts available for the printer except maybe for the trays.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by lnoral (1/1/12 10:22 AM) reply + / -

Any special kind of superglue? I just superglued it and it doesn't seem to hold even after 12h. :( just scraped it off.. shouldn't be possible right?

Re: Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by hoppy1955 (1/3/12 7:47 AM) reply + / -
Yes I had the very same problem mine was out of warranty by one month and after they walked me thru all the tech sheet things to check they said nope can't be fixed, and oh my the way you will have to purchase a new printer. I argued with them wrote tons of nasty emails to anyone in the company I could reach and they finally called me offered to sell me a refurbished printer at a discounted price. He gave me a list of printers they had and a website to check them out. I went to HP's website and everyone I looked at had tons of negative customer comments (so funny on their own website) so I call the guy back and said no thanks. HP knows of the problems and continues to make them with the cog that breaks and that my friend is built-in obsolescence. A printer which retailed for over $200 didn't last as long as the first ink cartage (which by the way shows I didn't use the printer a lot). So as I promised HP I would tell anyone who would listen to my story. Its up to you to decide if you want to take a chance in buying HP china made products.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Futureboy (1/3/12 6:16 PM) reply + / -
Thanks to this thread, I've been able to determine that my HP Officejet Pro 8500 has the same problem with the splitting white cog. Any advice on removing the scanner assembly? I can't seem to locate a disconnect point for the ribbon and wiring harness to be able to nicely remove and set aside the scanning assembly.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by lnoral (1/4/12 12:02 AM) reply + / -
Onthe left side of the scanner first remove back and then left cover.
then its easyer to acces the two smal covering components underneath the openig rod, which you might have opened already

Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Futureboy (1/4/12 6:45 PM) reply + / -
I just want to let you know I was able to successfully fix my broken cog. I didn't have to take the unit apart much though it wasn't easy getting my fingers where I needed them. I ended up using JB Weld and a soldering clamp to bond the broken cog, let it sit for 16 hours and I was able to put the black shield back on by setting the printer on its left side and using electrical tape to hold the backside of the hinge together as I pulled the thing together. I carefully snapped the shroud together and removed the piece of tape. The only problem I seem to have is the spring that pushes the unit just doesn't seem quite strong enough to push the mechanism hard enough to mesh the gears fully. That worries me as occasionally it sounds like what happens on a manual transmission car when you don't push the clutch in hard enough while engaging the gears. I do recall this happening before my repair and it does seem to pull and feed the paper properly.

Thank you to everyone on this forum for your notes and pictures. I have two of these HP Officejet Pro 8500 printers, an A909g and A909n. They really have been the best printers I've ever owned.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by lnoral (1/6/12 1:25 AM) reply + / -
I took apart two of my printers (Same problem) several times.. I might have turned the shaft on which the cog is placed several times.. on the left side at the end of the shaft (covered by a black plastic) is a transparent wheel-plate i guess who gives information about the position of the shaft. Its a bit like the plastic ribbon the printheads slide on..

does anyone know the starting position it should be on?

my paper jams areshown right after i start the printer.. not even any paper movig done..

another question i have.. should the white cog move around or is it pretty fixed on its posiition.. i have both.

thanks
nora

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Futureboy (1/10/12 1:22 PM) reply + / -
The white cog has two notches that face the left side of the printer that are 180 degrees from one another. Be sure that when you repair the cog that they are able to move around freely and also be sure that they will mate with the nub that’s on the shaft. Also, when you reassemble the housing to the clutch mechanism, be sure that the plastic washers attached to the springs on either side of the housing are seated in the groves. If not you will get some grinding and another paper jam or similar error due to lack of pressure to properly keep the gears together. Unfortunately, I know nothing of the transparent plastic piece you speak of. I didn’t fully disassemble my printer. I only took enough off to repair the white gear.

Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by TJMAXX (1/17/12 3:24 PM) reply + / -
Go figure! Thanks calilly!
Same problem........hour and a half into it I see your post.
Pick up the printer, slam it down HARD (it felt good too, lol)and presto!, it reset itself, did all it's checks and started printing!

Thanks

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by hp-printer-dave (1/21/12 1:23 AM) reply + / -
Well, the white cog that cracks at its weakest point is the cause of the false paper jam error. I now have seen this broken cog gear on 6 printers & so I know it will probably happen to all of them. I successfully fixed one printer 6 months ago by super-gluing the white cog / gear. The reason the black & white teeth do not engage with eachother is because when the white gear separates it leaves one notch skinnier & the black tooth can't slide into that notch easily. After gluing it & it is dry you have to shave that notch bigger so all notches & teeth fit fully together & when released they dis-engage with the light spring load it has. It is a built in design flaw & HP should give you a free replacement printer even if it is over one year old! There should be a service advisory or service note out on this problem & next week I'm going to call HP to see if I can get my first free replacement printer because of this defect. I won't hold my breath for them to do anything though. I have had 30 + printers replaced for free out of warranty in the past so I know they can do it.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Hun (edited 1/29/12 2:23 PM) reply + / -
I have followed the description about how can I repaire my white cog. I have already done it and it is fine. Unfortunately the problem not disappeared. When I start the printer the printing head go left and right and after that immediatley the paper jam sign appear again, on the screen. The mechanism which is handle the papers not moved neither. How and where can I look for the problem? Do you have any idea? Many thanks for any idea, coze I don't want to throw away this machine. Thanks for any help.

Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by demopage (2/27/12 9:22 AM) reply + / -
si es un plastico blanco en la izquierda que esta roto.

esto pasa en todas y no hay solucion , no hay pieza avaliable.

I posted this in the HP web site forum! :P by Nate1073 (edited 2/27/12 10:53 PM) reply + / -
I found the problem with the "Virtual Paper jam" issue!!! I had to take my printer apart to find out that there is a gear on the left side of the main paper feeder which is located just below the guide (Thick and silver in color and covered in white gear grease) for the Print head casing. This gear is covered by a black casing that is only latched together to hold the gear so it can lock into another gear that helps rotate an arm to activate the separate roller units in the printer. To make a long story as short as I can, this gear was completely split in one spot and caused the casing it was sitting in to pop open and was not able to activate the arm correctly so it could move therefore giving the paper jam reading.
I think there needs to be a recall on this product because of the fact that the gear was poorly designed from the start. And what I mean by this is that the gear has a huge indent in it so that it can sit on a small screw head so it doesn't travel too far over to the left, causing the gear itself to be very weak in that spot and not be able to handle the torque the gear is subjected to!!!! I want to know what HP will do about this issue knowing full well of this issue. You have engineers that know if these parts work or not, you're going to tell me that your engineers knew nothing about this but yet someone like me could figure it out in 2 hours!! At least replace this part for free for us, we did pay $300 plus dollars for this unit!! And so you know I DO have friends in the main stream media that would love to learn more about HP products, the poor parts they use, and how they help their buyers in resolving a $300 dollar issue for a part that cost $25.00 or less!!

I hope this helped all of you with this issue of the "Phantom Jammer"!!

I also have pictures to prove the issue and to show the part in question to those interested in knowing. Since i can't post the pictures in this Forum that i know of, Email me at natem1073@att.net or natem1073.vonage@yahoo.com

Also i just found this web site and haven't gone through it fully yet but might have the part we need. http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/HP,Printer,Part,C815767031.aspx

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Mr. Adaptable (3/10/12 8:08 PM) reply + / -
I got this fake paper jam error message today when there was no paper jaming the printer. I had this printer for 2.5 years so I decided to just go out and buy another printer. My previous HP printer lasted 4 years, I learned a while back when something goes wrong with printers that you throw them away. Paying to get them fixed is usually a mistake that will cost you a lot of money and then in the end you'll still need to buy a new printer. Then tonight I decided to see if I could find out if this problem has happened to others, that's when I found these posts.
I'm amazed that so many people spend time to try and fix their disposable printers. Unless you are a real fix it person, my suggestion is to realize that you need to buy a new printer. Take your broken printer to the place where you buy your new one and ask them to recycle it, make sure they wipe the memory or else you could be a victim of identity theft, that is if you have copied sensitive information with the printer.
Does anyone agree with me on this suggestion, meaning to not waste the time when a printer goes bad and to buy a new one?

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by moe (3/10/12 8:55 PM) reply + / -
The printers do not store any information. The 8500 is a disposable printer. There are people who wouldn't agree with you, that's why this forum exists. They are willing to take the time and trouble to buy another few months. This forum has kept hundreds of thousands of printers out of the landfills and saved the users millions of dollars.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Margy Schmidt (3/18/12 9:12 AM) reply + / -
Hello. I read the whole stream of posts dating back to 2010. I purchased a HP Officejet Pro 8500A in June 2011 (it is 9 months old) to replace a Xerox solid ink printer that died early (with no extended warranty to cover the $1,000 repair cost).
It has been a good machine until today. In the middle of a paper jam, my husband shut down the machine and pulled the papers out. The error message is 0005FBB6. I tried shutting down the printer for a reset to no avail. The HP website guided me through a series of steps (we use it wireless) that included resetting the modem, printer and computer (in that order)...still nothing.
Does anyone know what that message means or where I can find out what to do? The manual is basic and gives little guidance.
Based on the last few posts, it appears that this is a piece of junk and I should just buy a new printer. Help!

Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by byersba (3/18/12 3:04 PM) reply + / -
I actually successfully completed this repair. I super glued the white gear as mentioned, but getting the black cover back on was a BEAR! The cover is in two pieces. I put the two pieces together and used a piece of duct tape to hold them together at the hinge point. I also place a piece of string under the tape to help snap the back cover into place. Then i fished the string around the gears/springs. I wrapped the back cover underneath the gear and aligned the front cover, then pulled on the string to pull the back piece and snap it in place. Then I used an angled awl to work the tape loose and remove. So far, it's been working fine. Good Luck!

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by TomM (3/28/12 9:00 AM) reply + / -
I have the same paper jam problem with an HP 8500 a909g printer. It statred a week ago while printing a document. I cleared the printer and fo;;oed all of the suggetions on HP's web site. No help.

However, I appear to have solved the problem by spraying a little WD40 on the white cog and alligning the cog properly with the "nub" on the silver shaft.

I read all of the comments and sense that the root cause of the problem may be loss of lubrication (either by accumulation of foriegn particles between shaft and cog or by actual loss of original factory applied lubication) between the shaft and cog causing the cog to hang up and the resultant increase in torque on the cog to cause the cog to break. Again, this is only a guess.

I do not know whether my printer's cog cracked or not. I do kown my printer was deplaying the "paper jam" message and experiencing all of the simptoms described in the various comments.

I recommend applying WD40 on the white cog and shaft as a first step.

Thanks to "warbird" and Futureboy" and all who posted observations and recomemdations.

See comnments below which I copied from prior postings. This is where I got the idea.

"I have an OfficeJet 8500 Pro with the same symptom. It displays a paper jam and the carriage hangs out on the left side. Thanks to this web site and HP's message board I was able to resolve the problem. In regards to the gear/clutch ass'y, inside the black houseing that moves left and right is a white nylon cog for lack of a better term that was hanging up on the left side and not moving to the right and engaging. I sprayed some WD-40 on it and that resolved the problem. Just to add a little bit more to the explanation when the carriage would stop just to the right of the left side (menu displayed paper jam) one could see the white cog sitting to the left and disengaged from the ass'y on the right side. This is all within the black housing that moves left and right." warbird 10/25/11

"The white cog has two notches that face the left side of the printer that are 180 degrees from one another. Be sure that when you repair the cog that they are able to move around freely and also be sure that they will mate with the nub that’s on the shaft." Futureboy 1/10/12

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Jharsh (4/1/12 9:13 PM) reply + / -
Do not use WD40. It is not a long term lubricant. It may make the problem go away for a while but you're best to use a real lubricant like household oil or even triflow if you have it.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Groves100 (4/11/12 6:40 PM) reply + / -
I was caught up in the same grove -- a paper jam msg with no paper in the transport. kept playing around with it with no set purpoise when I received an ink level report -- all cartridges registered empty. I inserted new cartridges and the error msg was resolved and e'thing seems to be normal.

Wish I understood these thing better --

G100 the GEEK

Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Futureboy (edited 4/19/12 7:28 PM) reply + / -
Any thoughts with using white lithium grease on that troublesome white cog to prevent it from getting hung up and breaking as a preventative measure? I have one HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier that has been working flawlessly since I bought it in 2009 and I'd like to keep it that way.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by MikeLightStage (5/17/12 10:50 PM) reply + / -
Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by MikeLightStage (5/17/2012 10:45 PM) reply + / -
LIKELY you will find loose parts. I did.

This is a little long.

1. I just had the same problem.

2. The start of this is the same process for changing the print heads.

3. Open up the print Cartridge door.

4. Push the * (Asterics) button for 5 to 10 seconds. Hopefully this will move the Print heads to the left side of the Machine where you normally replace the Print heads.

5. Open the unit like you are going to replace the print heads.

6. Check to see that the Print head unit is in the well on the far left.

7. You might want to unplug the printer to prevent getting any shocks.

8. Do not open the Pint Head cover.

9. With a flashlight look in back of the Print Head. Toward the back and over the top of the print head container you should see a couple of black plastic strips about 2-1/4 inches long. One set acts as a wire stay for a Blue and Red wire. The second is a wire stay for Yellow and Black wires. My guess is it is likely these plastic wire covers are designed to keep the wires out of the way of the moving print heads. They are made of a stiff plastic.

10. First check inside the middle opening. You should see a metal wire that acts like a spring to hold the wires (Red, Blue, Yellow and Black) in place to keep them from kinking. You should see a hook on the to the right side of the opening. All four wires should be set inside the hook, but likely they are loose.

11. On the far right there is a plastic cover with ridges in the back. Carefully try opening this. Be firm but don't force it. The first time you do this it will be a little tight.

12. Once you get this right cover open you will see the well area where the print heads normally sit. Look in the well with a flashlight. Look for one or two hard plastic pieces about 2-1/4"" long that look just like the wire stays on the left side (see paragraph 9). I found two of them sitting loose in the Print-Head well. Just carefully take them out. These plastic pieces have two rounded slots that the wires slip into, and one slot that looks like it is supposed to hook into something.

13. I found a lot of ink covering the wires, and inside of the printer. My guess is the ink sprays/spreads inside the unit over time. In some areas it gets rather sticky and builds up, in other areas it appears to add a bit of lubrication. Eventually enough ink builds up and these wire stays eventually just pop off. If they are sitting loose in the print head well they will prevent the print head cartridge from cycling.

14. Now you want to make sure YOU TURN THE POWER OFF to the machine and it is UNPLUGGED. I found elsewhere on the internet on manual cleaning print heads, you can clean the heads with water (Get some distilled water from our favorite grocery store) and a soft cloth. I just dabbed a cloth in water and cleaned up as much ink as I could from inside the printer. The blue plastic cover for the Print heads was so loaded from ink it was actually grey. It's blue now.

15. After you are done, put the right cover back in place, close the main cover, put the electrical plug the machine, turn it on and wait for the print heads to move back to the right side. Then shut it off again, unplug it again, and then open the main cover again. Look in the well on the left side where you normally replace the print heads. Look in here for anything loose. I also found a label in their, loose, that might have been interfering with the printer.

16. Close everything up, plug in the machine, turn in on and CROSS YOUR FINGERS. Try to run a self test.

17. The above fixed my machine. The Problem was the loose parts I found in the RIght Print Head Well and the loose plastic label in the left Print Head Well.

18. I have not been able to find any documentation as to where these wire stays are supposed to be in the printer. My guess is somewhere around the metal spring wire. The slot in each of them may slip into the hook on the wire spring. I looked inside the machine and slipped the wire stays back on the wires close to the wire spring rod.

I hope this works!

MikeLightStage

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by ewan swan (5/19/12 2:50 AM) reply + / -
I have read a whole posts and about the hp printer problem and hp printer support

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by CRC (7/10/12 5:42 PM) reply + / -
you all may laugh at this, or think i am being sarcastic, but i am here to profess that 5 minutes of intense prayer cured my printer of this issue. there is no problem that exists in the physical world that cannot be fixed by connecting with the Spirit world.

wishing peace, patience, and blessings to all who read this post.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by nickasmith (8/5/12 8:30 AM) reply + / -
Pretty sure I found the issue.... working on it now and will post the results. From what I can see it has to do with a set screw or pin on the black spring loaded thing to the left. It's actually a clutch and it contains 2 pieces. A white toothed drive collar and a black toothed collar that moves a gear set. The white toothed collar has a notch on the left side that should align with a hole in the drive rod because it's a fixed piece. Mine is broke and allowing the drive collar to move freely keeping it from properly engaging the black spring loaded collar and moving the gear set. The gear set is what connects the paper pick up gears to the main drive system.

Then inspect the flux capacitor ... jk.... let me know what you find on yours.

Hp officejet 8500a

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by nickasmith (8/5/12 10:10 AM) reply + / -
Pretty sure I found the issue.... working on it now and will post the results. From what I can see it has to do with a set screw or pin on the black spring loaded thing to the left. It's actually a clutch and it contains 2 pieces. A white toothed drive collar and a black toothed collar that moves a gear set. The white toothed collar has a notch on the left side that should align with a hole in the drive rod because it's a fixed piece. Mine is broke and allowing the drive collar to move freely keeping it from properly engaging the black spring loaded collar and moving the gear set. The gear set is what connects the paper pick up gears to the main drive system.

Then inspect the flux capacitor ... jk.... let me know what you find on yours.

Hp officejet 8500a

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by schmidtjd (8/21/12 9:42 PM) reply + / -
I have this exact problem. I would like to make the repair, but I'm a little intimidated by the teardown. Does anybody who has successfully made this repair have any advice or resources about how disassemble the printer to access the white drive collar? Thanks in advance!

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by tjfrantx (8/29/12 7:18 PM) reply + / -
This is an unbelievable issue. Like all of you I've tried the directions HP gives 15 times today. I even reinstalled the software hoping it was some kind of software glitch! Nope, that doesn't seem to be the case.
I need my printer tonight! & I'm not a technician. I really don't plan to take this thing apart. Basically what I'm hearing all of you say is that unless I figure out how to take the thing apart and find this little split cog then I basically have an expensive "printer paper weight!" I realize most of you are techs ... do you think the "geek squad" could fix this?

Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by moe (8/29/12 9:08 PM) reply + / -
Seriously, I would bet my last dime that they couldn't. I would even borrow money to add to that as it is such a sure bet.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by nate1073 (8/31/12 7:02 AM) reply + / -
Sorry for not replying to recent replies, been out due to injury, followed by surgery. I'll try
to post the pictures on this forum as soon as I get home from work that I took of the gear "clutch" and where it is exactly. I never tried the super glue thing but it does seem like it would work. I just bought a new printer from another company instead. Give me a day or two to post.

Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by dharryd (9/10/12 2:38 PM) reply + / -
hi,

can someone post some pictures or a guide on disassembly? I got one of my ink tubes kinked and now need to change my ink supply station. Need help in getting to it and changing it out.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by alexplus (9/28/12 9:18 PM) reply + / -
SOLUTION:

The fix was this.

On the left side of the printer under the dual ink packs there is a BLACK roller with a white cylinder gear inside it. I watched the printer try to reset it self about 10 times before I realized that the white inner gear was hanging up on the black outer gear.

and then full reset (press power for 5 seconds then Home return; home; home

hope it works for you!

alex

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by nptzane (10/1/12 1:50 AM) reply + / -
I had the same problem. After a paper jam and when I made all the steps that HP proposes, I managed to pull out all the paper stuck in the computer, but the printer kept sending two messages about an improper shutdown and then about a paper jam. I did everything that HP proposes about a dozen times, even removed the printheads and searched inside their compartment, made a partial reset but the errors kept pop up.

After four hours of effort I found out that the problem had to do with a small piece of plastic which is located at the back of the printer above the rollers with the duplexer unit removed. This piece of plastic is at the middle of the printer where the paper passes in order to go to the printheads. In my case this piece of plastic it was stuck in down position probably during my effort to remove the paper. This plastic piece works like a paper sensor and it has to be in upward position in order printer to work. I just unstuck it using a small screwdriver and guess what printer started working properly.

hope it works for some of you!

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by majortom (10/1/12 6:18 PM) reply + / -
We had a similar error on 8000 with no broken parts, but I found the cure. My wife noticed that within the paper drawer, the little gizmo with wheels that comes down to pick up the paper, was consistently DOWN. It should not be down unless it is picking up paper. As I took the plastic covers off, I noticed on the left side, there was a little black cover over a wheel that is belt driven. I was able to dislodge the cover, swing it out of position (last clip is in the back and need to have the cover swing up to remove) and I noticed that the clear plastic wheel was slightly loose and dirty. I pulled it off and cleaned it with windex (avoiding the glue area) and re installed it on the spindle. There are markings on the wheel that indicate hours of a clock. Put 12 UP. I pressed down on the glued are to try to re establish a lock (I doubt that this will last a long time, but now know how to fix the issue and glue it with better glue next time). Even with the cover still off, I was able to plug it in and run a test. SUCCESS!

Re: Solved! by Skippy13 (10/15/12 4:03 PM) reply + / -
I just had the fake printer jam notification and fixed it. Here is what I did:
1) make sure there is no real paper jam. as per HP instruction video. Duh.
2) hard reset the printer (pull power cord when the printer is on. Wait 30 secs or so and plug it in.)
3) turn it off
4) put an object (pair of tweezers) in the "Cover is open" detector (the hole with a sensor in the front left of the printer when it is open) to fool it into thinking the cover is closed.
5) Pushed the ink jet carriage all the way to the right.
6) turn it on.

I did something like this several times trying to see if I had a broken gear as others have described. I pushed the carriage around quite a bit, left and right, on each try. After about the 4th or 5th try, (I think it was my pushing it all the way to the right that did it?) it went into a mode of "cleaning printhead" or something like that. It took about 2 minutes to clean the printhead, but after it was done, the printer was fixed! Go figure.

I am not sure if others can replicate this or not, but I thought I would report what seems to have worked.

Good luck.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Aidy (10/16/12 5:44 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the information provided here.

I too had the broken white "cog" issue.

Managed to fix it without taking the printer apart (even left the scanner on top).

The white spacer in my printer had only broken on one side, but this had caused it to jump to the other side of the retaining pin. As such the clutching mechanism wasn't catching.

Used an epoxy glue to repair it, applying pressure with a set of pliers whilst it set. Helpful hint - make sure it's on the right side of the pin before gluing.

Getting the black cover back on was a bit of a fiddle. I used electrical tape first to hold the two pieces together, and then fed another piece around the shaft and used this to guide the cover into place. The rest was a matter of poking around with screwdrivers and things to get everything into the right place.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by DOMAPOI (edited 10/30/12 5:24 PM) reply + / -
Many years ago I was a copier, fax, typewriter, printer, computer & electronis tech. Which is either her or there but I wanted to let you know where I'm coming from. I also have the same phantom paper jam and shut down message. I read all the threads here and notice the ones about the broke/cracked roller clutch. Not sure if that was broken because of a different problem. My roller clutch is just fine and I can see it working when it is suppose to. This is not the first time I have had this phantom jam on this printer but before it seemed to eventually(after MULTIPLE, MULTIPLE attempts to clear it with no success)sort of fixed it self. This time it isn't though. My symptoms are little different than a lot of you described (or as I read them different). My printer will start the boot up process with the shut down warning, I push the "OK". Then it starts doing it thing with the gear & solenoid position checks. Now the print head moves out of its home/park position and heads to the left, hit the black clutch lever and rotates the roller. Then it heads to the far right and bangs three or four times against the right frame of the printer and then chimes in with the paper jam error. This tells me that there is a faulty sensor (or circuit board associated with it) that is suppose to tell the unit that the print head is in the home/park position so it thinks there is a piece of paper blocking its path(the little video on the touch screen show that as one area to check for jammed paper). I you look inside the printer, on the top of the print head, there is a plastic cover and with a flashlight you can see a circuit board under it. You will also see a plastic (Mylar) strip running through the plastic cover. The strip looks semi smoky colored but completely clear on both ends of it. If you look closely you will see that the smoky part is actually very, very small black lines with clear gaps between each black line. Well, that is a senor strip and there has to be a sensor or two on that circuit board that reads that strip. That my friend is how the printer knows where the print head is down to the little gap between those little lines. That is how the printer lines every tiny little drop of ink to be in just the right spot on whatever you are printing out. My problem is it is not reading on the right side but others may have had that problem on the left side (which is why I think there is two sensors) and that is what actually broke the clutch by the print head banging into it a lot. Unfortunately I can't get a new circuit board from HP since there is not suppose to be any user serviceable parts, I'm not an authorized HP service center, etc. etc. Besides, they would probably charge me an arm and a leg for that board. So, as someone else said, they are disposable, which is what mine is now and sits in the recyclables since it is 1 week out of warranty and HP says, "SORRY". Will get the new one (HP 8600 Plus bundle) from Costco tomorrow, that way if it breaks down they will take it back no questions asked (even years down the road).

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Carlos Bravo (11/4/12 12:38 PM) reply + / -
Este mismo problema lo tenia en una impresora HP Officejet Pro 8000 A809 Series, el problema del falso atasco de papel, despues de intentar la mayoría de las soluciones , pero que no me funcionaron, detecté que en la parte inferior derecha donde están las cabezas de impresión, lleva un sensor que chequea los inyectores, lo removí con cuidado, le apliqué limpia contactos y le pasé un trapo para tratar de remover los residuos de tinta, despues de reinstalarlo, ya limpio, aparentemente hizo una limpieza de cabezales, por el momento ya logré imprimir la prueba de autodiagnóstico. Espero que siga funcionando.

Saludos

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by zrem (1/9/13 6:30 PM) reply + / -
I am actually also having the "broken cog issue" however I am not nearly skilled enough to try and fix it using pliers and superglue, so I am in the process of taking the printer apart to get to it.
However, that is a serious pain.
So I was wondering if anyone knows where the service manual is/ instructions to dismantle the printer, or pictures of how they took it apart. If anyone could send me a link that would be great.
Thank you

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Michael Meyer (1/22/13 5:40 PM) reply + / -
I did it! Took apart my 8500A Plus (Just the covers). Realized that the broken white gear CAN be glued to the shaft...in fact, there is a small screw that the gear straddles to stay in place. Super glued it right to the shaft. Then... the 2-part black piece...that was tricky. Used tape on the bottom, and then hooked the open slot at the top of the back piece with a paperclip bent on the end to a hook. That allowed me to close it once I had the springs pushed to the proper place. Printer works perfectly now!!! Thanks everyone.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Nigelxxx (2/2/13 1:22 AM) reply + / -
Read all posts after working for hours to understand my fake paper jam. Finally diagnosed the broken white gear and belt does not engage. Called HP - No service in Canada, but they tried to sell me refurbished unit for 299. I get a brand new one with all new cartridges (the large ones!) at Costco for 299. Extra year abour 40! So what is HP trying to pull. A defective design and ripping off the consumer with a great deal - and you can bet that all their refurbished stock are from people like us where they replace a 25cent gear and resell it at close to retail - no wonder they don't clean up their act - its making them money not to make a better deal. I will never buy a crappy printer from them again!

Shame on them - in my home office I have spent close to $1000 the last 2 1/2 years, so they have lost a great customer that will now tell the truth about their poor design and poor tech support every chance I get!

Re: Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by joel88 (2/8/13 2:27 AM) reply + / -
absolutely damn right bro..

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Swiss_Ronny (2/15/13 12:37 AM) reply + / -
I had the same failure, after about 2500 pages and six month after warranty... Yesterday I super glued the white cog right to the shaft, as mentioned before in this thread. Mounting the black cover was easy, with the help of a little duct tape and a thin wire to pull the part around the shaft. After a few pages, it seems to be working! No more rattling noises, claims of incorrect power down etc.
Recommended!

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by randomman (2/20/13 3:56 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem without the broken gear. The black gear box to the left has a cover and you can actually twist the black cover around the see the state of the white gear that everyone has a problem with. After the inspection i found the gear intact and was puzzled. I had a paper jam warning and shutdown warning even though it was properly shutting down. I was also getting the rattling sound as soon as the tray would go to the left. I was certain it was a broken gear but it was not. I unplugged it for 15 min went into tools then i ran a clean printhead / align printer/ calibrate line feed and somehow it stopped rattling, shutdown error and paperjam. I have no idea why it worked or if im just lucky. The thing is i dont remember going to tools and running any maintenance tasks i just remember turning it back on and doing these tests on its own but i cant remember. But either way i was able to get back to business. Just before it fixed it self i was raging and sliding the tray left and right and just left it in the middle. Then i turned it on and it ran some tests that took a really long time. I have no idea what happened i guess just luck

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by surkan (4/24/13 12:48 AM) reply + / -
I'm new to this forum, sorry if I've duplicated a thread I didn't find.

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless printer that keeps reporting a paper jam. However, I've reviewed all the methods of looking for paper pieces and have found nothing. I've read about bad or stuck sensors in other threads having phantom paper jams. Is there some way to determine what might be causing this problem so I can repair the printer on my own?

I've also noticed that the unit gives me an improper shutdown error as well and tells me to turn the unit on and off with the units power button and not a switch on the power switch. However, using the units power button makes no difference.

When the unit is turned on the carage will begin a "search rutine" but will eventually go all the way to the left side when the carrage is directly above the ink cartigages, make a strange clicking sound for a few seconds and then the carrage will move to the right about 4 inches and stop. Then the paper jam error message is given.

Re: Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by Swiss_Ronny (4/24/13 12:54 AM) reply + / -
Sounds exactly as you had the broken cog. Just read the other entries in this thread. To me, it helped.
Good luck!

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by el peluche (5/13/13 11:37 PM) reply + / -
Ok my printer crak the clutch and everything comes a part.... I need the clutch, where do I get it? I try to super glue it but nooooope. I need to fix it right..... Help!!!!!

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by schmidtjd (8/17/13 2:33 PM) reply + / -
Since I could never find a good teardown manual/tutorial, I finally gave up on my HP Officejet 8500 Pro Wireless printer with the broken white drive collar and bought a new printer. However, I know several of you have successfully made this repair. Any of you want to refurb mine for yourself? Otherwise, I'm just going to recycle it.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by mindermast (9/23/13 8:19 AM) reply + / -
I've had this and other problems with my HP8500 A909g. Putting your hand on parts is not a good idea. Pushing the carriage or paper pick up feeder at the wrong time may break it. If not when you are forcing it where it does not want to go but later when the software begins to run. The hardware is not configured correctly and the printer forces the part when cycling and trying to put it where it thinks it belongs.

The first few error messages I got I tried to wing it by turning the printer on and off, unplugging, waiting, etc. Sometimes this worked but I eventually realized it might be better to follow the HP Video's TO THE LETTER. If not the first time then the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th time I've gone thru the sequence it has fixed carriage jam issues and paper feed error messages. It takes a lot of patience. That it will eventually reset itself and work makes me think many of these issues are software related.

Once something breaks my only recourse will be a new printer. But by keeping my hand off the hardware I've managed to keep this one running for many years.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by SRTREX (10/11/13 4:02 PM) reply + / -
I printed a gear made from stronger plastic and it works great! Let me know if you want one. Not sure what to charge yet....

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by ddabreau (11/8/13 11:35 AM) reply + / -
(now resolved)

3 days ago, my HP Officejet Pro 8500A encountered the fake paper jam message. HP's troubleshooting recommendations on their site did not get this resolved.

After reviewing and trying what was suggested in various parts of this thread, that required no disassembly and any mechanical any fix, I still had no luck with getting this resolved. So based on good evidence from this thread, I was preparing to take this printer (purchased Oct. 7, 2011) back to Costco to plead my case for some kind of credit towards a new printer.

My preparation consisted of filming the rotating gear to show where there does appear to be a crack in the cog and extracting parts of this thread to demonstrate the weakest link in the chain to deem this printer unfit for longevity (I'd like at least 4yrs) and to also leverage the "hell" many have already undertaken to get their printer to work.

Here's what I can recall of my uncertain attempts for success:

1) Trying the power reset (unplug, plug, power off, power on)

2) Trying the power reset again, after power off, slide print head all the way to the right, power on.

3) While simultaneously avoiding the fake paper jam message on the control panel, quickly select the control panel's setup then tools option to clean print heads, align print heads, align print feed.

4) Give up, time to record the evidence, open lid, slide the print head towards the right in the center and begin filming the motion to clearly show the crack in cog. I tried this 3 times since it was a juggling act to get the correct timing. So there was a series of opening and closing the lid followed by sliding the print head to the right.

5) I suspect that somehow the actions from step 3 triggered the control panel to display a series of actions on the print heads, while excluding the display of the fake paper jam message. Once those actions were carried out, the printer began to print again!!!

To summarize:
------------
This link shows what the bad part may look like with a crack, but now I'd say that it is an evil that you may be able to live with:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/
t5/image/serverpage/image-id/42263i9605FB8A9EA3C0AE/image-size/origina l?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

It may be just a matter of time before this happens again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully, my weird approach may turn out to be helpful for someone else.

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by IndustriousAngel (11/13/13 5:28 AM) reply + / -
Got a jamming 8500A for repair and you know what, there it was ,the broken gear. Now I didn't want to disassemble the unit, guessing that it would cost the customer more than a new printer - so what I did:
- I checked if the gear could turn freely and move left/right behind the cover
- I observed the startup with open cover (put something like an USB stick in the sensor so you can leave it open)
- I found all parts to be moving ok, but still the printer started up with "fix paper jam"
- So, what I did before giving up - I did a full factory reset. (Keep Start button pushed while plugging in, release after 5 sec - Display will be dark - push "HOME" - "BACK" - "HOME" - "HOME" to enter maintenance menu. buttons are not lit but work. call fullfactory reset from the maintenance menu by pressing the adjacent side "buttons"; touch screen did not work)
- After starting up again and asking for language/country, the beast did a printhead cleaning and alignment(took about 15min), complained about low ink and then PRINTED WITHOUT JAM MESSAGE!

Crazy, and of course I don't know how long the thing will work, but that was a quick and clean "fix", at least the customer got some more pages out of his 940XL cartridges!

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless with fake paper jam by polson (3/23/14 2:10 PM) reply + / -
Cog successfully repaired! My 8500 experienced the broken cog as mentioned by several others and I figured I had nothing to lose by attempting to repair it. I was successful in machining a rabbit in the cog (on the side opposite the cog teeth) to accept a 1/8 in. wide collar made from a 21/32 in. OD brass tubing. Once in place, I staked the collar to the cog in two locations with a center punch. [I have a pic of the repaired cog if anyone is interested.]

In my opinion, the addition of the collar compensates for the radial force on the cog causing it to break in the beginning.

This is not a task to be taken on by the faint of heart or someone without mechanical inclinations - disassembly and reassembly of the printer to remove the cog is a painstaking process.

Thankfully, I will now be able to use the $150 worth of spare ink cartridges and don't have to buy a new printer!

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters