fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Dell 948 all in one lid won't close

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by mjones77 (2/21/10 5:21 PM) reply + / -
I think the hinge on the right side of my printer either broke or is not in there right because the top of my printer won't close on right side and it says cover open. There is a white plastic piece that has flipped out when I put it back in it won't go in right. There is a long black spring under the hinge that popped out. I think I may have to buy a new printer. Has this ever happened to anyone? My printed took a whole bunch on paper all at once and this happened when I tried to pull it out. Thank you so much.

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by Anonymous (4/22/10 11:02 AM) reply+1 + / -
Hey,

Have the same exact problem. Did you have to buy a new printer?

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by LBelcher (6/22/10 11:21 AM) reply + / -
I have the same problem with my Dell 948 printer, what did you do? Did you have to buy a new printer?

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by michelsmith (6/22/10 9:47 PM) reply+1 + / -
Before buying a new printer you can take tech support for your Dell 948 printer, So call on(+877 889 6859) and take help.

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by leyRu (7/15/10 11:51 AM) reply+1 + / -
Does anyone know of a solution?

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by whats up with this (7/26/10 2:39 PM) reply + / -
Mine too...... Anyone know how to fix it?

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by dp8 (8/28/10 9:48 AM) reply + / -
We all have the same problem. You would think Dell would have a solution. Mine also uses too much ink. The cartridges last maybe 30% as long as we are led to believe. Any one else have that problem?

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close---fixed by gingercody (10/17/10 12:29 PM) reply + / -
I found a solution!!! open the cover and look at the right hinge. there is a small white plastic piece a little concave on the top. when I took this out and then removed the spring (which by the way is not springy) the cover was able to close and the printer worked again. Good Luck!!

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by jharris (11/12/10 1:49 PM) reply + / -
Mine too, latch broke. Dell doesn't support it or doesn't care. It appears, all they want you to do is buy another printer (or another inferior product that brakes down because this is my second printer that Dell doesn't sell parts for).
The latch which may be a $5.00 piece isn't available according to Dell's customer service then was told of great deals on new printers!!!!!

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by jharris (11/12/10 1:55 PM) reply-1 + / -
Mine too, latch broke. Dell doesn't support it or doesn't care. It appears, all they want you to do is buy another printer (or another inferior product that brakes down because this is my second printer that Dell doesn't sell parts for).
The latch (which may be a $5.00 piece) isn't available according to Dell's customer service then was told of great deals on new printers!!!!!

Re: Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close---fixed by p5732 (11/15/10 7:48 AM) reply+1 + / -
e: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close---fixed by gingercody (10/17/10 12:29 PM) reply + / -
I found a solution!!! open the cover and look at the right hinge. there is a small white plastic piece a little concave on the top. when I took this out and then removed the spring (which by the way is not springy) the cover was able to close and the printer worked again. Good Luck!!it worked for me to removed both sides p5732

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by pooks6733 (11/26/10 6:39 PM) reply + / -
thanks so much p5732 your solution worked great!

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by teachermometc (3/11/11 6:52 PM) reply + / -
Thanks gingercody and p5732! You saved me from getting a new printer for awhile!!

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by jkc95 (4/13/11 4:17 PM) reply + / -
p5732 You saved me! Dell technical support is a joke! I am so glad I stumbled upon this site. I was actually taking that hinge and spring out when I decided to google for some more info and I found your advice! THANKS!!!!!

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by jharris (4/14/11 4:40 AM) reply + / -
DELL SUPPORT IS A JOKE!!! I THROW OUT MY DELL 948 PRINTER AND HAVE SWORN -- NEVER/EVER WOULD I BUY OR RECOMMEND ANYONE TO BUY ANY PRODUCT FROM DELL!!!

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by mspiegel (4/23/11 11:01 AM) reply + / -
Thanks. It worked for me too.

No Subject by Driver1928 (5/10/11 11:11 AM) reply + / -
I finally managed to remove one white plastic part of the hinge and a black spring (about 5.5 cm long) under it. Now the cover closes perfectly fine.

Thank goodness I found this forum!

The thing that really bothers me is that printer went "SNAP" when I was sitting next to it, and the cover popped up, rendering it useless. Now, there's a feature: A suicidal printer. Imagine this in a multiple person home or office. There would be lots of finger pointing as to who broke the printer. I still can't believe that it happened.

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by JCD (9/22/11 2:03 PM) reply + / -
All of you are right DELL SUPPORT IS A BIG JOKE, I didn't get any help.

I had the same problem with the right side of the printer not going down and had to press it down to get it work.
I think I fixed that problem and my 948 still has the "Clear paper jam message" that wont go away, I found a broken white plastic hinge with a spring in it, I glued it and we'll see.
My other problem is the "Clear paper jam" message that wont go away, ANY SUGGESTIONS????.

Anybody??

Thanks
JCD

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by michigan (9/29/11 6:56 PM) reply + / -
sept 2011 - had the same problem described here.

Took the spring and little plastic piece out per suggestions above and it closes and works....you just saved me the cost of a new printer...thx

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by CMNJ (10/22/11 5:22 PM) reply + / -
Thanks! Worked great. I removed the black spring, and put the white plastic back in the little whole. Now I'm printing!

Re: Re: Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close---fixed by nhbos (5/30/12 12:20 PM) reply + / -
Wow! I feel so powerful. I have a Dell v505w and had the same broken hinge piece as your model. I called Dell and, of course, Dell was not at all interested. I called a major computer repair and resale store in central FL and they told me they don't fix printers any more, but, if they did, it would cost more than a new printer. So, I read this blog and voila! Thanks so very, very much....printer working!!

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by gramytm (6/14/12 8:17 AM) reply + / -
WOW,, was searching the internet for 'replacement' parts for the exact problem! My lid won't close due to the right hinge/spring being broke - not even sure how it got broke! Thanks for sharing.

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by flyny (7/13/12 8:08 PM) reply + / -
Thanks gingercody and p5732! I too had to remove the spring from both sides. I've been pressing down the right side of the printer for a year! You saved me lots of money on a new printer

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by jc44 (12/19/12 4:00 PM) reply + / -
Yup, same with ours ! Thanks for the tip to just take out the white latch part with spring all together. Tried cutting the spring shorter to put it back roughly at the same height for support on that side, but that is the toughest steel I've encountered in a while ! I gave up on that ! Instead, I put back the white part without spring, allowing it to sink into it's hole without ever coming out again, and put some elastic 2 mm material on top just to make it level with the other side, and not get a screeching sound when opening (from back side of top lid scratching the surface of the bottom / base part). Works. Only needs to open for replacement of cartridges anyway. Lot of mileage for gingercody and p5732 out of this one ! Way to go ! Thanks !

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by mpc13 (1/26/13 1:23 PM) reply + / -
The right hinge popped open causing the printer to be unusiable, then a few weeks later the left hinge popped open. There must be a malfunction in the manufacturing of this model printer that's causing this to automatically happen and with so many owners.

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by jharris (2/7/13 9:39 PM) reply + / -
SORRY, FOLLOW (ALL) CUSTOMERS OF DELL PRINTER USERS!!!!
AFTER GOING CRAZY WITH MY DELL 948 PRINTER I PUT IT IN THE GARBAGE WHERE I FELT IT BELONGED!
I FELL THAT IF ANY COMPANY WITH THE REPUTATION AS A QUALITY COMPANY SUCH AS DELL DOESN'T CARE ABOUT SO MANY CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS, THEN I WONDER WHY CUSTOMERS WOULD PURCHASE ANY PRODUCT FROM THEM!!!!!

I KNOW I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANY PRODUCT FROM DELL IN THE FUTURE

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by Rosemari (5/13/13 5:49 PM) reply + / -
Thank you p5732 for saving my sanity and my printer! Thank God for this forum... Ditto, ditto, ditto... Thank you, thank you, thank you! Whew!

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by printerproblemz (5/26/13 12:51 PM) reply + / -
Thanks so much for this forum! We had the same issue! What we learned:
Open both lids to expose the area where you replace the ink. Look at the white, plastic, hinge on the side that won't close. The hinge is probably broken in half horizontally preventing it from closing (At least it was on ours). Remove the bottom half of the hinge - If you pull, it should lift up. Once you take this piece off, you should see a black, metal coil or spring about 1.5 -2 inches. Pull the coil up and out. Close the printer and play with the positioning until the lid lays flat. It should now print.

We were accusing our cat of breaking the printer. But after reading this forum we realize it was probably a suicide mission. Thanks so much again!

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by Eileen0314 (5/31/13 7:38 AM) reply + / -
About a month ago, I was changing the ink cartridge and went to set the lid down and I heard something snap. The lid would not go back down on the left side. We could still print though. Today the message cover open was on the screen and I could not print. I found another little plastic piece, so the other side broke too and it won't sit down at all in the back. I called Dell and for $89 they would help--out of warranty. I found the fix your printer website and started reading. I found your post explaining to take the plastic hinge and the black spring out and it worked. Thank you so much. I tried the other post and I did not understand what I had to do. Your explanation got me through. Made me feel good too that I could do it. I need to print and my husband and I will be out of town and don't have time to deal with getting another printer right now. Won't get another Dell printer though.

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by gaj4aisretired (6/10/13 7:37 PM) reply + / -
To get the most out of the cartridges, use them until they go bone dry. For printing in black (only) go to printer properties and select the "draft" mode (for each printing session). The printing will be surprisingly good - - adequate except for the most "formal"-type printouts. My latest cartridge is three months beyond the "ink low" messages!

But now I have incurred the "permanent" message to clear the paper jam and press "check" button. One sheet had jammed, but it pulled out easily and completely intact. No other paper is in the printer, including none in the duplex carriage on backside. Has anyone discovered the "reset" trick?

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by gaj4aisretired (6/10/13 7:42 PM) reply + / -
To get the most out of the cartridges, use them until they go bone dry. For printing in black (only) go to printer properties and select the "draft" mode (for each printing session). The printing will be surprisingly good - - adequate except for the most "formal"-type printouts. My latest cartridge is three months beyond the "ink low" messages!

But now I have incurred the "permanent" message to clear the paper jam and press "check" button. One sheet had jammed, but it pulled out easily and completely intact. No other paper is in the printer, including none in the duplex carriage on backside. Has anyone discovered the "reset" trick?

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by drbobfierstein (7/19/13 6:31 PM) reply + / -
Thanks ever so much gingercody. Couldn't have done it without you. I have a new v505w and couldn't figure out how to close the lid and had an error message; nothing worked. By removing the white hinge and spring on both sides, the lid is set flat and the printer is now working. I'm not too smart when it comes
to mechanical things, but when I followed gingercody's directions and it worked, I had a big smile on my face. Its great to have a most helpful blog. Thanks much to all! Bob

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by n5432 (7/27/13 8:21 AM) reply + / -
A week ago I was sitting 5 feet away from my printer, not doing anything printer related and heard what sounded like a light bulb exploding in vicinity of the printer. Searched all over and found nothing. Today, went to print something to find alert that the scan cover was open; went to check it out and it would not close - described many times over here! Took advice of removing the white plastic hinge and black spring and it worked like a charm. Not gonna worry about nothing being there as I only lift to change cartridges anyway.
Ink indicator is also very much off - have gone even 9+ months beyond it's telling me my ink is low!
Thanks.

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by ssmiller10 (11/10/13 11:41 PM) reply + / -
I avoided tech support altogether and went directly to "Dell 948 all in one lid won't close" and found this thread. I am a widow who inherited this printer from a computer savy husband. I, too, heard the SNAP and was more than five feet away. After removing both the white plastic hinge and black spring the lid closed. Thank you Gingercody.

I also use ink cartridges way past the "Low Level" ink indicator. Sometimes longer than six months. I learned this from my husband.

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by jusquiltingaround (11/30/13 10:21 AM) reply + / -
I am in the same situation, went to change the ink and SNAP. I would like to know how to get the spring/pin out of the white plastic thing.

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by H@ppy2 (1/27/14 2:42 AM) reply + / -
Not Dell 948 but still a Dell, V505. In similar situation, changed ink sometime ago. Now with "cover open", right side would not close. Followed Gingercody's instructions on taking out white hinge, fished out black spring and now all is well. Thank you so much!

Re: Dell 948 all in one lid won't close by Dharmajugs (3/13/14 3:00 PM) reply + / -
Wish I'd read this forum earlier, I also eventually solved the problem on my own by ripping out the spring and white plastic bit... but not without losing a couple hours and cursing my head off in a red-faced rage. Always check the Internet first, folks!

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters