fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Canon MP600 died

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Canon MP600 died by colshub (6/1/09 8:19 AM) reply + / -
I have a Canon MP600 printer that went dead. It was working fine a few days ago now nothing. No lights, no LCD. Nada. I checked the power cord- OK. I pulled the pwr supply (the box that 115v plugs into). It has a 6 pin connector- yel, blu, wht, brn, blk, red. Can anyone tell me what the p/s output should be at each pin? A side note- our street lost power the other day. Are Pixmas susceptible to power blips?

PJ

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (6/12/09 10:15 PM) reply+1 + / -
colshub,... Every printer ever made or any PC or any TV is susceptable to power surges, ... and they are deadly. There will be several ground wires, a logic level that will probably be about +5 volts, an Motor voltage of about +18-24 volts DC, and an Printhead voltage of about +30 volts.

Re: Canon MP600 died by dnyaneshwar (7/22/09 12:18 AM) reply + / -
canon mp600 died

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (7/22/09 6:45 AM) reply + / -
dnyaneshwar,...If your printer power supply is dead, you can call Canon and get a replacement printer if it is still in warranty. If it is out of warrany call them and order a replacement power supply,... if you know for sure that is the problem. If you want some help to find out what is wrong, click on my USER ID and send me a note with what you sypmtoms. I'll respond.

Re: Canon MP600 died by NEO888 (7/21/11 1:05 PM) reply + / -
My MP600 Power supply died as well. Web searches (including Canon) turned up nothing. Called Canon. To order power supply from Canon, call: 866-481-2569 (credit card over the phone, no on-line interface). $34.49 with tax and delivery.

Note: the power supply has black tabs the you push away from the grey power supply case. One tab in front and one in back. The grey power supply box pulls right out of the printer. The internal connector (six colored wires) pulls straight out (there is no release tab/catch). Use small screwdriver or needle nose plyers to carefully remove. Pull/pry the female white nylon connector. Do not pull on the wires.

Re: Canon MP600 died by Colonel Panic (1/5/12 12:05 PM) reply + / -
Hi! I am trying to figure out how to open the MP600 printer case.
Would you have a copy of the service manual, or any guide to disassembly for the MP600?
I would appreciate it if you could let me have it.

Best regards!

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (1/5/12 7:49 PM) reply + / -
Colonel,...Yes I have both but I don't give them away. I have worked for years to create Repair Manuals for virtually every model of Canon printer and the ALL-In-Ones with detailed instructions and high resolution pictures that guide you through every step of the repair process for just about anything that can go wrong in these printer. I am sending you an email and when you reply to that I will be able to send you more information.

Also,.. the post by neo888 is very correct. The real problem is you need to verify that the power is bad before you replace it.

Re: Canon MP600 died by fraigan (1/28/12 12:19 AM) reply + / -

Hello all - I now have TWO dead MP600's! So the first was given to me by a friend that told me that a "bad printhead" error had occurred with it and their conversation with Canon divulged that there were no longer any printheads available for that model MP600. So after they bought a replacement printer, I accepted their tossed printer and because I had the same model I was thinking that perhaps all it might be a clogged printhead not being recognized. Man, was I wrong..

Steps to failure:

* Powered-up printer to discover error message and proceeded to powered it off.
* Removed and cleaned printhead contacts with rubbing alcohol.
* Replaced printhead and proceeded to power it back on - no power.
* Scoured internet for troubleshoot.
* Did the whole 'hard reset' thing - nada.
* Worried that it might be the AC adapter unit - it wasn't.
* Replaced KNOWN working printhead in *MY* MP600 with now cleaned unit and??

Now I have two MP600's that don't power up. At all.

So what did I learn from this besides the obvious? First, when an MP600 fails to power on at all, there is now a distinct possibility that it is not the power adapter. Second, never believe simply cleaning a printhead will solve the problem of a Canon printhead error message telling you that you have a "printhead error" - it does not solve it. Third, apparently a defective printhead will completely shut down a Canon printer at some point in time, and from what I can glean it appears that it shuts it down through the logic board.

Great engineering, Canon. thanks...

What I'm wondering is this: Does the logic board A) have [repairable] hardware circuit protection? Diodes? or is it all software driven and if it is, then, B) can the logic board be re-flashed by some facility to original specification. That'd be awesome, but not holding my breath that if so it'd be stateside.

In conclusion, after spending hours upon hours of my life on-line reviewing this problem of dead Canon Pixma printers, I'm wondering if Canon should be held responsible for this as a defect. I mean, seriously, there are a LOT of people out there that have dead PIXMA's out there for no apparent reason (at least I know what I did wrong). :-\

Okay, so any thoughts on possible repairs? Any at all?? Or how about thoughts on Canon being held accountable to some degree. I sincerely think this has more to do with a general engineering problem that involves poorly-written software code responding to incidental day-to-day environmental effects, like, printing documents and suddenly the printer dies for no apparent reason, for example. For whatever reason, there are lots and lots of those out there.

--fraigan

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (1/30/12 9:13 AM) reply + / -
fraigan,...What a suspecious mind you have and you are wrong. The engineers that design and develope these printers don't have the time or the desire to embed "Dirty tricks" in there designs,..and even if one of them did,...30 other technicians, managers, supervisors,..etc. would find it and take it out. They are after making the best product they can. Enough said on that issue.

It has long been reported on this web site and several others that the worst thing you can do is put a "probably Bad" printhead from one printer into another printer,... especially after you have seen that head "KILL" the printer to the point where it won't even power on.

The failure mechanism is as follows; The printhead is used when it is low on ink or one ink has totally gone dry and the owner continues to try and print large documents or photos. This overheats the printhead and can cause one or more nozzles to burn out. Sometimes the burn is so bad that it "Short circuits" the head and large current flows. The engineers new about this problem so the built into the logic board and the head an "Over Current" protection sensor. This sensor shuts down the system and "Won't allow" the unit to power on. They do this to protect everything they can sinc they know if they have such a short and the next person tries to power the unit on it could melt the entire printer. People that have had this problem think it is only the AC adapter and buy a new one,..but that won't work either. The AC adapter will still deliver enough low voltage to energize the logic and the logic sees the short and will not allow the power to come on.

One thing to do to test if this is a permanent short is to pull out the printhead and unplug the power for 5 minutes,..then without the head plug the power back and try and turn it on. If it comes on you are lucky,..if not,..you've learned a lesson.

Re: Re: Canon MP600 died by fraigan (1/30/12 11:20 AM) reply + / -
"fraigan,...What a suspecious mind you have and you are wrong. The engineers that design and develope these printers don't have the time or the desire to embed "Dirty tricks" in there designs,..and even if one of them did,...30 other technicians, managers, supervisors,..etc. would find it and take it out. They are after making the best product they can. Enough said on that issue."

Two points:

1) where in any of my post did I even infer that the engineers were up to something as a "Dirty trick" ?? I did not, but rather I strongly suggested that the engineering was poor and the problem was a defect in *their* engineering.

2) They may have been after making the best product that they can, but this model of Pixma failed in that department of engineering. If a worn or dirty printhead completely shuts down a logic board by design, then it was narrow-minded of the engineers to not work harder to give the consumer a better fix. At the very least, removing the printhead should wake the system back up for servicing. It does not.

trigger1937, this forum is nice, but there are others out there having lots of unhappy Canon printer owners all having the same printer problems (in and out of warranty) wondering why their Canon Pixma printer died for no apparent reason.

"The failure mechanism is as follows; The printhead is used when it is low on ink or one ink has totally gone dry and the owner continues to try and print large documents or photos. This overheats the printhead and can cause one or more nozzles to burn out. Sometimes the burn is so bad that it "Short circuits" the head and large current flows. The engineers new about this problem so the built into the logic board and the head an "Over Current" protection sensor. This sensor shuts down the system and "Won't allow" the unit to power on. They do this to protect everything they can sinc they know if they have such a short and the next person tries to power the unit on it could melt the entire printer. People that have had this problem think it is only the AC adapter and buy a new one,..but that won't work either. The AC adapter will still deliver enough low voltage to energize the logic and the logic sees the short and will not allow the power to come on.

Again, bad engineering on Canon's part. My friend's printer received a "replace printhead" error for no apparent reason. None. There was plenty of ink in all the wellheads and the printer stopped for no apparent reason and died shortly after the error message.

"One thing to do to test if this is a permanent short is to pull out the printhead and unplug the power for 5 minutes,..then without the head plug the power back and try and turn it on. If it comes on you are lucky,..if not,..you've learned a lesson.

That was one of the first things I did in what in another forum an admin had suggested. Too bad the "lesson learned" part couldn't have been in the Owner's Manual. haha

While I appreciate that the Canon engineers *knew* there was a problem, their solution to it has caused a LOT of people a lot of money owning a useless product. I suggest that Canon could have routed their circuit protection differently rather than making the entire logic board (and subsequently making the printer) now completely useless - it wouldn't have been hard to do. A simple 'reset' button is the first thing that comes to mind.

--fraigan

Re: Canon MP600 died by cd3ka (3/23/12 9:36 PM) reply + / -
It's a universal supply works from 100-240V

Opened Power supply seems OK. Outputs Blk & Blu = 0v common
Wh & Brn = 10.5v Red = 7.5v Yel = -11v.

Re: Canon MP600 died by hugomarafona (11/25/12 5:31 AM) reply + / -
Hi,

My MP600 died, i already pull out the power supply and test with the multimeter but i don't know if i do right.

I use the cd3ka method:

Blk & Blu = 0v common
Wh & Brn = 0v
Wh & Red = 0v
Wh & Yel = 0v

So, if i do right the power supply is dead?

Thanks

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (11/26/12 10:37 AM) reply + / -
Hugo,... Yes I would say that the AC adpater is dead,... that is unless you didn't have it plugged in,.. or if you didn't put the leads in the correct places. The voltages should be +5, +12, and +36,.. or pretty close to that.

Re: Re: Re: Canon MP600 died by eric111 (11/26/12 11:17 AM) reply + / -
"While I appreciate that the Canon engineers *knew* there was a problem, their solution to it has caused a LOT of people a lot of money owning a useless product.

I suggest that Canon could have routed their circuit protection differently rather than making the entire logic board (and subsequently making the printer) now completely useless - it wouldn't have been hard to do. A simple 'reset' button is the first thing that comes to mind.

--fraigan"

that would defeat the purpose of protection. printheads go out, via defect or usage. you can always repair/replace, there's no getting around it. you seem to want a magic solution that doesn't exist.

the only thing you can do to avoid this type of surprise, is do online research BEFORE you buy. It really isn't that unusual for consumer inkjet printers. they're not designed for longevity.

Re: Canon MP600 died by hugomarafona (11/26/12 12:24 PM) reply + / -
trigger1937, yes i plug it at public grid :)

My pins are like below:

|----------|
|._._._._._.|

Red/Black/Brown/White/Blue/Yellow

Blk & Blu = 0v common
Wh & Brn = 0v
Wh & Red = 0v
Wh & Yel = 0v

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (11/26/12 5:09 PM) reply + / -
Hugo,... I think you did it wrong. Black is the ground wire so use that as common and remeasure all of them.

Re: Canon MP600 died by Vore (8/4/13 5:25 PM) reply + / -
Like others my mp600 won't power up. Hmmmm. Found this website. Nice. Checked voltages. Got 8 volts across each of the 6 terminals. Hmmm. Power seems to be there but? Hmmmm. Perhaps the voltages are too low? No se nada de nada. Neccesito ayuda. Gracias.

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (8/5/13 9:50 AM) reply + / -
Vore,...In the AC adapter that you unplugged there is a pigtail connector with many wires. The black wires should be the ground leads and each of the others is a different voltage. There should be +5, +12, and +24 or +36 volts present in the cable. You measure these using a volt meter with the negative lead on the black wire and the positive lead on one of the other wires.

Re: Canon MP600 died by Theoff (9/8/13 11:40 AM) reply + / -
Hello All.

Read this thread with interest. The comments you made about the print head I can relate to.

Ive had my MP600 since 2007 (cost about 200) and had no problems although wasn't heavily used, its been a fantastic printer.

Last week I had to a 10 Page doc urgently, my black ink was completely dry and showed a warning that if I continue, this can cause damage to the printer. I have to say although this has happened before.I clicked ok and carried on. Anyhow I tried power on today and guess what?? Nothing!

Whether this is poor workmanship and shouldn't behave like this I was given the warning, ignored it and now gutted.

Im assuming this has caused a complete failure of the printer, but just want to check is this fixable in any way, replacing or board or...

Your advise is appreciated.

Re: Re: Canon MP600 died by StuartR (10/31/13 6:25 AM) reply + / -
My Printer is a Canon Pixma MP610 but I suspect it is very similar to the MP600. My printer too just failed to switch on this morning when it was working perfectly yesterday.
I've read that it might be the power pack or it might be the logic board. Is there a way to establish which of these it might be?
Thanks.

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (10/31/13 8:58 AM) reply + / -
Stuart,... This is not good news and could mean that the head and/or the logic card or power supply is already burt out. Here is what you can try to do. Pull out the power cord and let the printer sit for several hours. Now open the top cover and then plug back in the power cord and try to turn the power on. If your lucky the printer will power on and the carriage will move to the center. At that time remove the ink carts and the printhead. Now close the top cover and power the unit off and then pull the power plug one more time and wait 5 minutes and put it back and power the printer on. It should power up with the error conditon telling you to "Install the Printhead" Do NOT PUT THE OLD HEAD BACK IN since I believe that it is burnt. Clean and examine the bottom of the head looking for a very tiny burnt mark at one or more of the nozzles. this is basically a short circuit condition. If you want more information from me just send me a note via email.

Re: Canon MP600 died by vanne (11/2/13 4:12 PM) reply + / -
My MP600 is completely disabled and showing error message 5010. Canon Technical support recommends replacement (Surprise!) Unplugging it for a considerable amount of time has not helped. The print cartridges are locked on the far right of the printer. Several were low or empty when the error message happened. Someone I spoke to suggested that there was a switch on the left hand side that might be able to re-set, but I have not been able to find one. Any ideas on the possibility of repair?

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (11/2/13 8:50 PM) reply + / -
Vanne,...The 5010 error condition is telling you that the scanner can not find the home position. I will send you a short email and when you reply to that email with YOUR email I will be able to send you the instructions to help find the problem. Mention the MP600 and the 5010 error code in your note or copy and forward my note.

Re: Canon MP600 died by xose (11/22/13 10:50 AM) reply + / -
Hello everybody!

This is a very interesting thread. Of course, I'm here because my MP600 has died too.

I have unplugged the AC adapter, and I have obtained these measures (volts) whith a voltmeter:
Black & Red: 7,56
Black & Brown: 9,98
Black & White: 9,98
Black & Blue: 0
Black & Yellow: 0

Does somebody have any idea of what's going wrong? Thanks.

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (11/23/13 6:26 PM) reply + / -
xose,...One of the voltages should have been either 24 volts or 36 volts which is used for firing the printhead. Your AC power adapter is dead.

Re: Canon MP600 died by xose (11/25/13 2:02 PM) reply + / -
Thank you for your answer, trigger1937, but I'm thinking of another possibility: maybe, my AC adapter's levels are standby ones, and, when we press the start button, they change to their normal values. Is this possible?

If someone could unplugged one AC adapter (K30271) functioning correctly, and obtain measures in this case, we would solve this doubt: if these measures were the same as my measures, the AC adapter wouldn't be the problem.

Re: Canon MP600 died by yaholkoj (12/9/13 4:28 PM) reply + / -
Great thread. I, too, have a dead MP600. I came back from vacation and heard there was a power outage. Lost a wireless router, so suspect this may have been hit too. I read all folks removing the AC adapter, but don't see how to do it. I think there are two torx screws but I can't get them out. Thoughts?

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (12/9/13 7:08 PM) reply + / -
Yaholkoj,.... Even if you took the AC adapter out I don't know what you could do with it without a schematic and some serious knowledge about electronics. What you can try is to unplug the power cord and let it set for a day and then plug it back and see if it will power on. If it fails then you can go online and try to find a replacement AC adapter or call Canon at 1-866-481-2569 and see if they still have any left for your printer. Yes it does take a very small Torx screw bit to get the AC adapter out.

Re: Re: Canon MP600 died by Blissy99 (1/11/14 4:05 AM) reply + / -
Hi Trigger,

Err...what happens if the power doesn't come back on and the printhead is still stuck in the right hand side position? Do you know how I can get it into a position to remove it and try the power again please?

I took a gamble bought a new power adapter - poor choice, my MP600 still won't power on.

Kind regards,
Nigel

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (1/11/14 10:36 AM) reply + / -
Nigel,...I got your email and sent a response before I saw this post. Sorry the new AC adapter didn't work. The problem is clearly the logic board.

Re: Canon MP600 died by soulyda1 (1/12/14 10:00 AM) reply + / -
What happens with code 5010? Help!

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (1/12/14 7:05 PM) reply + / -
soulyda1,... I got your email and have sent a reponse.

Re: Canon MP600 died by cannonuser123 (1/14/14 7:54 PM) reply + / -
PIXMA IP6000D receive code 5200 and turned off and will not come back up. Diconnected printer for several hours and will not turn back on. Printer head is stuck to the right and can not disconnect printer head. Any advise on what to try to get printer working?

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (1/14/14 8:33 PM) reply + / -
canonuser,....The 5200 error condition is telling you that the printhead exceeded all temperature limits,..which basically is telling you that it is dead. The logic card will not power on the printer since it already knows the conditions and does not what the power short to burn out the rest of the printer. If you want to salvage the printer you will need to take it partially apart to free the printhead. I am sending your a short email when you reply to that will your own email I will be able to send you more information on what you can do. Mention the iP6000 printer and the 5200 error condition.

Re: Re: Canon MP600 died by Glad4Trad (1/15/14 5:13 AM) reply + / -
Just seen this information whilst trying to work out why my Canon MP600R suddenly stopped working yesterday in the middle of printing a few sheets. It has worked fine since 2007! Error code shown is U052, to which I can find no reference, but the message reads: "The type of print head is incorrect. Install the correct print head". I have never made a change to the print head and would now like to know how to take it out. Do I raise the lever to the right of the cartridges? And, if cleaning doesn't help, will I then have to buy a new print head? Any advice on this subject would be very much appreciated.

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (1/15/14 8:31 AM) reply + / -
Glad4ted,...Yes you have to raise the lever on the carriage. First remove all of the ink carts and cap them off,..then raise the lever and grab the head on the outside and press DOWN a little and pull forward and and then up. The U052 error code is telling you that YOUR head is probably bad,..since it did not respond to the last power on diagnostic. The logic board sent a command to the printhead to read the built in EEprom information and got "No Response",..or totally wrong response. This happens when the head finally gets burnt out after years of printing and having never-ever been cleaned. You will need a new head.

MP600R print head by Glad4Trad (1/15/14 9:55 AM) reply + / -
Thanks, Trigger1937. I accept that the head must be burnt out and I will have to get a new one. I've followed your instructions a few times but have so far failed to remove the old one, so will try again tomorrow.

Error code 5010 by Glad4Trad (1/18/14 6:22 AM) reply + / -
Dear Trigger

New print head for MP600R arrived this morning but, when installed, 'Error code 5010' now shows. Can you help me further? Glad4Trad.

Re: Re: Canon MP600 died by soptik (1/26/14 5:12 AM) reply + / -
Hi xose.
My MP600 also died today. It did not response on PowerON button at all. So I pulled out the power supply and disconected the 6-pin connector. Then I measered the output voltages on the PCB. I had almost the same values as you wrote :
Black-Red : 7,5V
Black-Brown/White : 9.9V
Black-Yellow : 0V
(Black-Blue are connected on PCB as well as Brown-White)

I checked the PCB, measured all diodes, fuses and also the rectifier (just to be sure but it was surelly not necessary). So that I assembled the power supply back. Now my MP600 is running again but I really can not say what was wrong. Probably some contact resistance ? Dunno :-(

First I was confused by the missing voltage on yellow output (number 1) because someone here mentioned there should be something like -11V. But it could be probably some sort of controlling voltage from controlling board (just my assumption)

Re: Re: Canon MP600 died by soptik (edited 1/26/14 5:22 AM) reply + / -
sry deleted - double post (I have to sloooow connection on this server and I got proxy error msg)

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (1/27/14 9:04 AM) reply + / -
soptik,....Whenever you unplug the main power to the printer any error condition within the printer are cleared and then when you power the unit back on it may or may not work depending if the original error is still occuring,..such as a short circuit on one of the logic connections. You were lucky and got it to work again.

Re: Canon MP600 died by anhielos (3/13/14 12:59 PM) reply + / -
Hi
My printer dead also, power doesn't come back on and the printhead is still stuck in the right hand side position? Do you know how I can get it into a position to remove it??
THNX

Re: Re: Canon MP600 died by Glad4Trad (3/15/14 9:23 AM) reply + / -
Thanks. Installed new printhead but now 'error 5010' shows. Re-installed driver with original setup CD but made no difference. What is error 5010 and how can I fix it, please?

Re: Canon MP600 died by patwestlake (3/16/14 9:40 AM) reply + / -
OK, so printer died without any warning - working 100% until yesterday.

Removed power supply and tested (with it plugged in...) - same results as others;
Black & Red: 7,5v
Black & Brown: 9,9v
Black & White: 9,9v
Black & Blue: 0v
Black & Yellow: 0v

So, is this a knackered PSU or one in standby. I have no response when I try to turn the printer on. Never had an error code.

Pursue or (reluctantly) bin?

Cheers, Pat

Re: Canon MP600 died by Kaz0118 (3/22/14 4:24 PM) reply + / -
I am in the exact same position as Glad4Trad so I am very interested if someone would answer his/her question. I am debating on buying a new print head but if it still isn't going to fix the problem then I don't want to waste the money. I unfortunately just bought all new ink wells. So, if I have to buy a new printer than I guess I have ink cartridges up for grabs! :(

Re: Canon MP600 died by StuartR (3/22/14 5:25 PM) reply + / -
For the error problem, here is an answer from another website.
Hope it helps.
http://www.justanswer.com

Re: Canon MP600 printing over text by ZDesign (5/5/14 10:30 AM) reply + / -
My MP600 has suddenly started printing black horizontal lines over all the text in any document I attempt to print. I can print photos in any format perfectly. But any written text from documents or websites are covered with a fine mesh of black lines.
I tried cleaning heads and all the built in utilities available.
I have tried to update the driver, reinstall the driver and still have the same issue.
My pc is running XP, so I tried to print from my laptop running Windows 8 and got the same bad results.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Re: Canon MP600 died by trigger1937 (5/5/14 9:48 PM) reply + / -
I'm sorry to all of you that I have not responded. Somehow I lost all notification that people were posting so I've missed all of these last notes.

If you want to follow up on you questions I will send each of you a short email and when you reply to it mention your printer and some description of the problem and you could also attach a copy of your last nozzle test image. I will respond. If you need to contact me directly just click on my USER ID and then enter the info in the email you send to me.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters