fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling )

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Boeyks (3/12/09 8:55 PM) reply + / -
Hi I have just got myself the HP officejet all in one (printer fax, copier & scanner ) The black ink is running low HP does not recommend refilling the cartridge whcih is so much cheaper than buying a new cartridge In fact the present cartridge prints out fine except the ink level is running low I had a Canon previously & I do my own refilling wwith no problem at all
Anyone has tried refilling the HP 901 cartridge (Black) and has any problem etc & how to go about it Will appreciate your comments if you had tried Thanks for your attention Boey

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by fast40 (3/27/09 3:08 PM) reply + / -
Hi Boey:
I also fill my own cartridges, which now include the HP 901 and 901XL from my HP Officejet J4580, with a Universal injet refill kit. I've only refilled the black cartridges, and it's basically the same as refilling any other cartridge. Remove the label that says HP901, just pull it back, then put the syringe into the hole, and fill. Actually, it's been the easiest and least messy cartridge for me to fill. If you refill the color HP 901 and you run into pitfalls, I'd appreciate it if you'd please let me know the specifics and thanx.
Good Luck!
Mrs.fast40

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by fjburns (3/30/09 12:33 PM) reply + / -
The HP 901 and 901XL are also used by the officejet J4550
which was sold in Costco for less than the print cartridges.
I have refilled the black by punching thru the label on
the upper left where there is a depression.
I also would like to know which colors go where to refill
the tricolor cartridge.
Jeff

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (4/3/09 1:19 AM) reply + / -
Hi Mrs.fast40
tks for your reply . been out of town & miss out your reply . Much appreciated your kind response. I tried as per your suggestion for black 901 and I can feel it heavier as ink had filled in . I fill ink into the hole you mentioned Fit back cartridge & print But my on line computer tells me the ink is still going low !!! Did not show the new ink level at all Do you have this problem ? Will the cartridge just stop printing when the ink level is no more inspite of the refill ink ? Much appreciate your feedback on this BTW what specfics do you want
tks again
boeyks

Re: Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (4/3/09 1:30 AM) reply + / -
Hi Jeff Tks for your response. HP just change a few minor features in their all in one & then give it a new model number So it can seen that J 4550, 4660 , 4860 etc are basically the same & use the same cartridge HP 901.
I fill up the 901 thru the hole in the cartridge after pulling of the label Though ink has gone in ( feel heavier ) but my on line computer tells me the same ink level as before ie low & still going down with each usage !!! I am not sure whether it will stop printing when the original ink level show no level at all but i wait until then until somebody can kindly advise me on this
How do you punch thru on the upper left . Does it work well ? Wont the ink spill out & messy etc Appreciate to have your feed back tks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Boeyks (4/3/09 1:38 AM) reply + / -
Hi Mrs fast40 & jeff
i refer to my reply to your responses Sorry did not put my name in my answers
tks for your response
boey

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by fjburns (4/8/09 1:15 PM) reply + / -
I removed the top from my HP 901 tricolor cartridge.
It is the same as the HP 95 Cartridge shown on the
Stratitec web site.
http://secure.stratitec.com/instructions.php?page=p10
I can email pictures if requested.
Jeff

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by WOWZERS (4/16/09 1:49 PM) reply + / -
fjburns, please do email pics =[

can u label which hole is the refill hole for black cartriges and the color cartridge

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Boeyks (4/17/09 1:36 AM) reply + / -
hi fjburns/jeff : tks for your response Had fill up black HP 901 & OK so far except for computer message telling me that ink level is low even though ink has been refill full !! Not yet tried tricolor 901 yet Not sure about HP 95 can you send pics to confirm opening for 901 tricolor refilling tks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by fjburns (4/17/09 7:55 AM) reply + / -
The link in my last post will take you to page 10
of the refill intstructions.
Scroll down to bottom for colors to add magenta on left,
black on top and cyan on right.
Same as HP 95. Here is the link again.

http://secure.stratitec.com/instructions.php?page=p10

Jeff

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by ZMosh (5/21/09 2:09 AM) reply + / -

Hi, after I filled up the black HP the j4660 still indicate low ink. Anyone knows how to fix it?? So it would show the right ink level

ZMosh

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by firstlady630 (6/4/09 10:44 PM) reply + / -
Hi did anyone experience a message regarding the tri-color cartridge saying it was incompatible. I use a 901 for black and a 901 for the tricolor. I was printing a document one day and a message came aross the printer saying tri-color ink cartridge incompatble. It stopped printing. The black works but all of sudden the tri-color does not. How do I refill both?

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Boeyks (6/4/09 11:38 PM) reply + / -
Hi ZMosh
I had experienced the same response as as been mentioned in my reply of 4/17/09 see above ie the HP J4660 will indicate ink level low & low inspite of the cartridge being refilled fully !! After some time the computer will inform that the cartridge is incompatible !!! & had to be changed!!! I had to buy a new cartridge and replace the reilled cartridge which the HP will not accept So far i had no response from anybody to overcome this problem Sorry for not able to solve your problem but this was what i had experienced So get a new 901 cartridge ready to allow you to continue printing
Boeyks

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Boeyks (6/4/09 11:40 PM) reply+1 + / -
Hi ZMosh
I had experienced the same response as as been mentioned in my reply of 4/17/09 see above ie the HP J4660 will indicate ink level low & low inspite of the cartridge being refilled fully !! After some time the computer will inform that the cartridge is incompatible !!! & had to be changed!!! I had to buy a new cartridge and replace the reilled cartridge which the HP will not accept So far i had no response from anybody to overcome this problem Sorry for not able to solve your problem but this was what i had experienced So get a new 901 cartridge ready to allow you to continue printing
Boeyks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Boeyks (6/5/09 8:17 PM) reply + / -
Hi Michael
I had done what you did and as i had mentioned to Zmosh on 6/5/09 ie the on line computer does not recognise the refilled ink level and after some time it will not work ie warning sign come out that the cartridge is incompatible !!!! I read somewhere HP had inside their program that rougly estimate the ink consumption each time it prints & it does not allow for ink refilling at all I think we have to wait until somebody come up with a solution of how to overcome that ink usage program Meantime I recommend that you have a original cartridge available so that you can continue with the printing when you come to the stop
regards
Boeyks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (6/7/09 2:15 PM) reply + / -
hello Boeyks, I have a Officejet also that use the 901cartridge, Iasked every and anybody I could how to fill that cartridge, I gave up asking and went home,set at my compute,type in the words,how to fill a ink cartridge in to Google you want belived how many site Google can up with too many to type. The best site I found and with video telling you how to fill the cartridge, it will be the 93and the 94 its the same as the 901. Go to this site
www.ehow.com/video. Put it in your Favorites.

Re: Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (6/7/09 2:25 PM) reply + / -
Hello Jeff: just as told Boeyks to go the the web site to see how to fill those 901Black and the 901 Tri color cartridge with video, telling you the ounces and color to put in each hole. the web site is www.ehow.com/video. you will love for that info. Tell what you think after you go to that site.

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Boeyks (6/8/09 6:25 AM) reply + / -
Hi Anonymous
tks for the tips on the refilling. Video is great & easy to follow
The problem with the HP & 901 is that after refilling the computer will still indicate ink level low & low inspite of the cartridge being refilled fully !! After some time the computer will inform that the cartridge is incompatible !!! & had to be changed!!! I had to buy a new cartridge and replace the refilled cartridge which the HP will not accept. This is what i had told Michael & jeff the others below in this conversation about not able to use the refilled cartridge Have you experience this yet ??
Boeyks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (6/9/09 5:17 PM) reply+1 + / -
Hello Boeyks: how to reset the ink levelon your HP printer. On ehow go to ehow page number 30(computer printer guide). You can also buy a glue gun to fill the hole, you can also fine all kind of help in this web site. Hope this help Anonymous/momo32526.I paste from the web page, You can go to the web site it has picture. hope this help. momo32526 Difficulty: ModerateInstructionsThings You'll Need:
Ink cartridge Tape
Step 1Turn your printer on and take out the cartridges.

Step 2 Take a piece of tape and cover contact #1, as in the picture below.

Step 3Put the cartridge back into the printer. It will print out an alignment page.

Step 4 Take the cartridge out and put tape over contact #2, as in the picture below.

Step 5Remove all the tape and put the cartridge back into the printer. The ink levels should now be reset.

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (6/10/09 9:50 AM) reply + / -
thanks for the advice but I cant see any pic.can u send it to my mail???
thank you

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (6/10/09 9:53 AM) reply + / -
thanks for the advice but I cant see any pic.can u send it to my mail???
thank you my mail: utd322@gmail.com

Re: Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Boeyks (6/10/09 7:39 PM) reply + / -
Hi Anonymous
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your info on the video about resetting the ink level after refillingthe cartridge . First i could not find it ( I reply for help but something happen during the process maybe resulting in you receiving a blank answer) but then after much own searching I managed to : The web page for those interested is :http://www.ehowcom/how_4741227_reset-ink-levels-hp-printer.html

Thank you again I hope this will solve my problem of overiding HP restriction on refilled cartridge Anybody had tried this yet & does it work ??? Would appreciate response from those who had tried !!!.I will try when my present cartridge runs empty Am afraid that after unsuccessful attempt the HP may reject the present cartridge !!!
Anyway Thank again to Anonymous for sharing the info
regards BOEYKS

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by momo32526 (6/12/09 12:27 AM) reply + / -
Good BOEYKS: it anonymous/ momo32526, I'm gladed you found the web page. want you take the new one out now and test the refilled cartridge then you will know if it works before the new on run out! Let me know if that works! You did a good job. Log your answer on this site. we have a lots of people following us, I will check back later. Thank you momo32526/anonymous:)

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Boeyks (6/12/09 12:48 AM) reply + / -
Hi Anonymous I tried as per the instructions given on the " ehow" for resetting the HP ink level with a test refilled cartridge. The HP can still print OK but there is no new level indicated . wonder whether long this can still go on without the level . I had posted query to the "ehow" about my partial 50% result Hope that they will respond tks again for your encouragement
boeyks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (6/12/09 1:30 AM) reply + / -
BOEYKS try this to see if this works. I click on the the web site you posted, I click on the site it went to Google and removed the the "e" it took me another site the very first on the page click, is where I got this from did some cut and paste. Understanding Your Printer's Estimated Ink Level:

The newer Hewlett Packard printers have included in the software that comes with their printers, a "toolbox" that includes a section called Estimated Ink Level. Its a great tool that allows you to keep track of how much ink is left in your cartridges so you don't start a big print job and get stranded out of ink in the middle of it. The only problem is that has become quite troublesome on those who wish to refill their cartridges. If you refill your cartridge or have someone else refill your cartridge, it will read as low or empty when you try to print with the cartridge. How does HP do it? They started embedding a serial number in the contact strip located on the back of the cartridge. The printer remembers that serial number and gives the message of low or out of ink. The internal memory is located in the printers firmware and is not in the software. It will remember the previous two cartridges ink level. We have posted various ways to reset the ink levels so your Estimated Ink Level will read full again. Click on your printer cartridge number below to find out how. the rest is on that web site. try that.let me if that works

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Boeyks (6/12/09 8:20 AM) reply + / -
hi Anonymous The website to reset the HP ink level for refilled cartridge is http://www.ehow.com/how_4741227_reset-ink-levels-hp-printer.html There is a mistake in my posting earlier. You can go to this page & will see my comments about the given procedure & why the level is still not showing after following the procedue . I refer to your latest posting 6/12/09 Where is the site which you mentioned can provide the answer for the related cartridge no as you mentioned ? Much obliged
tks boeyks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (6/18/09 1:14 PM) reply + / -
I also have a printer now that uses the HP 901 cartridges. It looks like the ink level is saved on the cartridge and not in the printer, so there are probably no chances to reset this type of cartridge. You can see this if you put a half empty cartridge in another printer of the same type, it will show the same ink level as before even if it does not know the cartridge serial number! Covering contacts will not work with this cartridge!

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Boeyks (6/18/09 7:30 PM) reply + / -
Hi Alexgrosy You are correct that the ink level could not be reset with a self refilled cartridge . I think the ink level is determine from a new original cartridge (full ) & adjusted thru the amount of printing pages done ie not by actually measuring the ink level .( that why it always say approximate level ) my refilled cartridge now shows empty but it can still print !! so i just continue with the printing so far OK However on one occasion before this the HP detected incompatible cartridge when I put in a refilled cartridge & prevent me from printing until i get a new original one whcih I am now using & refilled as well as described above Boeyks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (6/19/09 4:55 AM) reply + / -
Same here, just refilled the black cartridge, which was no big deal. I wonder how long it will continue printing until it forces me to replace the cartridge.
As the ink level is saved in the cartridge, maybe it is possible to just freeze the current ink level by masking the correct pin?
As the cartridge is fairly new and only few refillers are around, I still hope that there will be some kind of hack in the future to refill this cartridge multiple times!

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (7/1/09 8:22 PM) reply + / -
I got a refilled 901 cartridge, and the printer did stop printing and is complaining of incompatible cartidges. I tried following the ehow website, but the cartridge has different contacts and covering them up did not result in any reset. I think I'll just have to buy a new one.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (7/2/09 9:46 AM) reply + / -
right now I have printed about 150 pages after the first low ink warning appeared. it's still printing fine. I think that it will complain about incompatible cartridges if the expiration date of the cartridge is reached and not due to low ink levels.

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Boeyks (7/2/09 7:20 PM) reply + / -
Hi Alexgrosy tks for your comments on the low ink warning which not tied to incompatible cartridge hence allowing you to continue printing on self refilled cartridge. However on 1 ocassion I did experience the printer rejecting the self filled cartridge hence forcing me to buy another cartridge !!! Since then I had refilled this cartridge once & it had function as you had mentioned.
Why did HP go thru all this hassle of incompatible cartridge , low ink level etc if the constraint is only the date !!!
Hope that this is the case for the benefit of all users of refilled cartridge tks Boeyks

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (7/3/09 8:51 AM) reply + / -
Same thing happened to me with the "incompatible print cartridge error" on the tri-color. It is the original that came with the printer. So annoying! I have tried uninstall/reinstall and cleaning. Nothing works, ready to throw out another POS printer. Please let me know if anyone has helped with this problem.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (7/3/09 8:57 AM) reply + / -
Hi! Check the expiration date of the cartridge! It's printed next to the HP Logo on the opposite site of the copper contacts. I'm pretty sure that the printer will complain about incompatible cartridges when this date is reached and not because of low ink levels! I have refilled my cartridge 3 times already and printed more than 350 pages after the first low ink warning and it's still printing just fine!

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (7/3/09 7:05 PM) reply + / -
Dear Alexgrosy Good news about your experience that only the date on cartridge determine the life of cartridge & not whether it is refilled . I have to wait whether the same can happen to me
as for "anonymous" not able to continue using with refilled cartridge even though it is a new item it could be that the date had been exceeded .It might be a good idea just to check the expiry date when purchasing these cartridges We can never know how long it has been lying in the shops!!!Regards Boeyks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (7/7/09 5:15 AM) reply + / -
Hi!

Printed another 400 Pages on the same cartrige using two more refills and it's still going fine! This cartridge (Standard black 901) has printed over 1000 pages right now and is still working!
Even if the cartridge has expired, you might still be able to use the cartridge if you use a wrong system date before the expiration date which is printed on the cartridge.
Anyway happy printing!

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (7/8/09 1:20 AM) reply + / -
Hi Alexgrosy Tks for your very encouraging response from your experience . you mentioned about 'a wrong system date" Does this mean that you change the computer date so as not to exceed the cartridge expiry date ?? tks again Boeyks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Andrewtn (7/18/09 8:33 PM) reply + / -
I had this problem with my HP C4480 All in one after getting a black refill at Walgreens. I tried shutting off, cleaning repeatedly with wet cloth and no luck. Basically when I was ready to give up I put in the cartage one last time and it took. I have tried turning it off and on since then and it still works.

So they only thing I can suggest is maybe if the connection isn't good between the cartage and the printer just trying it over and over several times might get it to finally take.

I don't think this issue has anything to do with the date. Mine has a 2010 date on it and I was getting the

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by avajay (7/21/09 3:29 PM) reply + / -
If I understand correctly from the above-mentioned site (the cut and paste ones),if the tape method doesn't work (none of the pics showed a 901, hence no contact point is clear)then you need at least 3 cartridges, so the printer can cycle through, dropping the memory of any cartridge coming before the last 2 inserted. I believe even having 2 empty cartridges will work, as long as the printer has a chance to attempt to recognize them. So after inserting and cycling 2 of them, your refilled one should work. At least, that's what I would do if I had 2 empties, but I'll just buy 2 new ones and rotate usage as they empty.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (7/21/09 11:18 PM) reply + / -
Hello!
The ink level is saved in the cartridge, not in the printer. even if you cycle through different cartridges the ink level will never be reset. Still you can refill the 901 as many times as you want.
I have printed more than 1100 pages with one (!) standard small black 901 cartridge designed for about 150-200 pages. Just make sure that the cartdrige never runs totally dry, so refill immediately if you see any streaks in your printout. Running the cartdrige dry will fry the print head and destroy the cartridge!
The small 901 black print cartridge holds about 4 to 5 mL of Ink, the colour one about 4 mL of ink per colour. The XL black 901 cartridge will hold about 17 mL of ink.
The low ink warning will only pop up once the ink level reaches 0, then just refill your cartridge and carry on printing and ignore the low ink level.
It might be that the printer reports the cartdridge incompatible after reaching the expiration date which is printed next to the HP logo on the cartridge. I cannot confirm this yet as my expiration date is 05/2010.

best regards, Alex

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (7/22/09 1:17 AM) reply + / -
Hi Alexgrosy tks for your encouraging comments Much obliged. Just like you I had continue printing with a self refilled cartridge (ignoring the low ink level warning) and so far OK Cant match your printing output of 1100 pages !!! Will try not to damage the print head by running it dry !!! Tks for the advice I have 2 cartridges so i alternate whenever needed Have you refill the color cartridge yet & have the same result ?? Any advice for filling the color etc esp which holes for the color ink ?? Tks Boeyks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (7/22/09 3:01 AM) reply + / -
Hello!
I have refilled the color cartridge one time, it also says it's out of ink but still printing normally. Most of the time I print black/white only so I do not need much color ink.
There is nothing special about the holes where to fill the ink in. The yellow ink goes into the single hole above the print head, magenta goes left when the print head faces away from you and cyan goes right.
Just make sure to insert the needle right down to the bottom of the cartridge, but stop immediately if you feel some resistance, otherwise you might pinch a small microstrainer which would also kill the cartridge. Then slowly inject the ink until it leaks from the print head or filling hole. Withdraw about 0.25 mL of ink once it's full, this will prevent the cartridge from leaking out of the print head. Repeat this step for each color.
Some people say to lave the cartrige stand overnight outside the printer to prevent leaks but I reinsert them into the printer right away after refilling and I never had any problems. Just make sure not to overfill the cartridge which can make a big mess.

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (7/22/09 9:01 PM) reply + / -
Hi Alexgrosy Many tks for your response to my query for color filling I will follow your recommendations when it is due
Regards Boeyks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (7/30/09 12:44 AM) reply + / -
Hello!

As I print lots and lots of documents right now I have installed a CIS System into my J4680. The black ink cartridge has printed more than 3000 pages right now and is still printing perfectly. The ink level indicatior now says that the original HP ink is depleted with a questionmark on the indicator, but the printer is still printing normally.
The CISS eliminates refills, the cartridge is being refilled automatically as you print your documents. There are 100 mL ink tanks outside the printer that can be refilled and it's easy to monitor the levels.
I have printed the 3000 Pages for almost nothing!

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (7/30/09 3:28 AM) reply + / -
Hi Great news on your improvisation & such results of almost 3000 pages on 1 print head !!!! & still OK . I dont print that much so I only need to do my own refilling whenever the cartridge about to run dry .Just for my interest what is this CISS ?? Tks for your information regards boeyks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (7/30/09 9:35 AM) reply + / -
Hi,

I think the print head will last quite a few 1.000 (maybe even 10.000) pages without any problems. It will fail fairly quickly though if it runs out of ink, then it overheats and the nozzles break. If I print the test pattern of the Cartridges then there are no missing lines yet, so everything is fine.
the CISS constantly feeds ink into the cartridge. The ink tanks are outside of the printer, the ink is fed to the cartridge using some small tubing.
Here is a utube video that show the installation of the CISS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQrfbQWx5ic
I was slightly doubtful if it would work, but it's great, the ink nicely flows through the piping and the external ink tanks last for 1000's of pages and if they are empty just pour some fresh ink into the tanks and continue printing.ī
regards, Alex

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by boeyks (7/31/09 8:43 PM) reply + / -
Hi Alexgrosy Tks for the info on the CISS on the UTube It is very interesting If ever I need to print hugh quantities without the high cost of HP cartridges this is definately the solution
I will confine to the refilling & tks for the caution note on running the cartridge dry I will do a test pattern routinely just to make sure not to damage it & have the refill ink on standby tks again regards Boeyks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (8/15/09 1:27 PM) reply + / -
Hi!

Just a small update:
Printer selftest after 3713 printed pages:
http://www.pampa-traktor.de/misc/selbsttest.pdf
About 3000 of them were printed with the black ink cartridge only. No loss in quality yet, everything is still printing fine! About 200 mL of ink have flown through the black cartridge!
It is still the first one that came with the printer, I have not replaced any cartridge yet!

Best regards,
Alex

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Quasar (8/22/09 11:37 PM) reply + / -
I have a chip reseter for my canon 9000 pro. It resets stuff, telling the printer that it has a new, full inkjet and keep going. I had an epson that I had to use a chip reseter, for the printer to be full of ink.

I got curious as to there being one for HP. Went to google, entered HP Chip Reseters. Google lit up with hundreds of listings. So..........there is a reseter for HP inkjets. I didn't read to see if it covered these inkjets. It may not work on these, but it might. I'll go look around and see. If it's like canon and epson, you set the inkjet on a little piece of plastic, and it shows to be a new full inkjet.

B Sweet

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (ref by Anonymous (8/23/09 9:04 AM) reply + / -
hi Quasar Tks for your input I had not used chip resetter before but will try to get more info on it as you had recommended when i came back from holidays tks again boeyks

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 by Anonymous (8/26/09 10:10 AM) reply + / -
I've had this same problem with fairly new 901 color cartridges (twice). One day it will say that there is a high ink level and the next it says there is an unspecified problem or that the cartridge is incompatible. Has anyone else had this happen and if so did you find a solution?

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (9/10/09 6:38 PM) reply + / -
I refilled my cartridge and it leaked (and I have refilled other cartridges for many years). I couldn't get it to stop leaking, so I through it away and bought another cartridge. The new cartridge ran out of ink and I decided to try again. It leaked also. I thought maybe it was too full, so I extracted some ink. It still leaked. I left it out of the printer overnight. It leaked while sitting out but I HAD to print something, so I wiped it off and put it in the printer. I was able to print about 10 pages before the ink ran out. So I know it wasn't too full if it ran out that fast. Please HELP. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (9/12/09 6:43 AM) reply + / -
Hi
Your ink Cartridge will always show empty, that is one of the downsides of re-filling cartridges. The only way you can resolve this problem is to buy specialy manufactured empty cartridges with chips, that is if their are any on sale, I have a Canon printer as well as a HP and have been refilling cartridges for that machine for a long while,if you can buy empty cartridges for refilling then they shoud be transparent so you can see which ink goes where have a look on Ebay see if their is any thing
Regards Alan

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by 2centsworth (9/27/09 6:30 PM) reply + / -
Incompatable cartridge. I have had this on other hp cartridges & got around it by using rubbing alcohol to clean the contact points.
Hope this helps.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by boeyks (9/27/09 8:03 PM) reply + / -
Hi I noticed that sometimes using self refilled cartridge works but at times it just could not work or ink just keep leaking out as seen from above anonymous attempt.
this could be maybe HP detected incompatible cartridge & tried to frustrate self refilling but have to buy new & expensive cartridge. My original cartridge is going to empty soon (black) The question is : Do i refill now whilst it is still OK or do i only refill when it is completely empty ?? I am not sure of the response i will get whther it will be accepted or rejected by the HP printer Anybody has any comments , recommendations , experience on this TKS boeyks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by quasar (9/27/09 9:15 PM) reply + / -
As far as I know, it's always better to refill before the inkjet runs dry. It the foam or what ever you call it, is a lot harder to refill it right, after the stuff dries out completely. This one might me different, but almost all are easier and done better before that stuff(brain dead moment, cannot recall the right word) foam dries out. The printer co.'s always discourage refilling of ink jets, but they don't wanna sell the cartridges at a reasonable price.Unless HP has come up with a way new way to prevent refills, it's better to refill before it dries out.

Re: Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (9/27/09 9:35 PM) reply + / -
I was told this way, right or wrong,better or wose way is possible;

The little holes have lines that lead to another hole. These two are tha same color. Then another pair, etc. I drill them out, straighten out a paper clip, insert it in the ink hole, look at what color is on it, put that color in the hole. You need to only drill one hole per color. Three holes total, just look and see which holes are hooked to each other with the little lines. That's the instructions that I got from the people I buy ink from.That's the only way I know of. There's probably better ways, but i tried it and it works good enough for me.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (9/29/09 12:00 PM) reply + / -
It's better to refill if there is still some ink left in the cartridge. Never let the cartridge run dry or you will ruin it!

by the way, I have printed page #7000 today still with the first cartridges that came with the printer. No loss in quality yet!

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by boeyks (9/29/09 6:39 PM) reply + / -
Dear Alexgrosy & quasar tks for the advice Will do the refilling as per your recommendations Graet that with the CISS you can get up to 7000 pages & still OK !!!! & with the same cartridge !!! boeyks

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by boeyks (10/10/09 6:52 AM) reply + / -
dear avajay have you tried out the 3 cartridge recycling to overcome the constraint. Did it work ?? I had 2 cartridges (one with printer & brought another ) refilled them once & now these 2 are being rejected by the printer each time i put them in (after refilled ) Anybody has any idea how to overcome this problem tks boeyks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by boeyks (10/12/09 6:50 PM) reply + / -
Hi I had finish my black cartridge (original ) & had refilled it once and continue with the printing without the ink level Recently the problem "of black cartridge came out " & stop my printer functions I had brought a new 901xl cartridge (previously 901 ) as would be economical since it contains 3 time s the ink but about double the cost. had it fitted back but the printer cant accept since keep telling me of the black cartridge problem The shop i brought is a reputable so i doube it is a fake Any one hqas any idea how to ocercome this problem Would apprecaite your assistance thanks boeyks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (10/13/09 12:47 AM) reply + / -
Hi,
Check the contacts of the cartridge holder and of the cartridge if there is any dirt so they won't make good contact. I don't think the printer rejects empty cartridges as I have reached page 8000 just a few days ago still with the first set of cartridges that came with the printer!

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (10/21/09 11:05 AM) reply + / -
Shocking moment today, after 8248 pages the printer suddently prindet garbage and told me there is a problem with the black ink cartrtridge and needs to be replaced.
luckily it was just a contact problem. I have cleaned both the contacts on the cartridge and on the cartridge holder, reinsertet the cartridge with CISS and everything OK again. Still the first cartridge and even after more then 8000 pages no loss in print quality!

re; refilling hp901 ink cartridges by schnoogle (10/26/09 6:45 PM) reply + / -
hi:

I tried to refill my ink cartridges for use with HPJ4580 all-in-one and will not print. Tried leaving black ink cartridge will ink refill holes uncovered and it just made a mess on the inside of my printer.

No one who commented on refilling the 901 cartridge had this problem.

Hope someone can help, Mike

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by kapil_tarani (10/27/09 12:54 PM) reply + / -
Well Mike you can use refilled cartridges but it won't be good for your printer in longer run..b'cos 1st it voids the warranty of cartridge and won't be replaced if you call hp technical support and second it will sooner or later might damage the printing mechanism ..So try buying multipacks instead single cartridges it will save you money plus you get some goodies there is always cool offers on hp's website

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by kapil_tarani (10/27/09 12:54 PM) reply + / -
Well Mike you can use refilled cartridges but it won't be good for your printer in longer run..b'cos 1st it voids the warranty of cartridge and won't be replaced if you call hp technical support and second it will sooner or later might damage the printing mechanism ..So try buying multipacks instead single cartridges it will save you money plus you get some goodies there is always cool offers on hp's website

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by boeyks (10/27/09 8:11 PM) reply + / -
Hi
My HP 4660 just cant accept the black ink cartridge (original 901XL) and now they say it cant be repaired !!! But HP will give me a 25% discount if I take up their offer on some selected models on a trade in with my defective one
I am very disappointed with the whole episode It seem to me that HP had something installed that will defect your printer after some time (like what kapil tani says) I only use refilled ink about 2 times The color cartridge is still original !!! I am now looking for another printer Anybody has any idea of a all in one printer & copier that satisfies:
Low volume printing , can use refilled ink , reliable & preferably NOT HP anybody has any idea
tks

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by boeyks (10/27/09 8:18 PM) reply + / -
Hi
What is multi pack instead of single cartridge ?? Can you explain & how to save tks

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by kapil_tarani (10/28/09 10:52 AM) reply + / -
http://www.shopping.hp.com

Follow above link and you might find something suitable....surf hp's website for more offers and support.

Regards
Kapil

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by boeyks (10/28/09 7:19 PM) reply + / -
Hi kapil tks for your suggestion & help after 3 HP within 3 years I am quite apprehensive about their products I am thinking about other brands which are more user friendly !!! tks again Boeyks

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by ferrandino (11/15/09 9:55 AM) reply + / -
I have refilled my cartridges, 901's and just need the info on how to make the printer think they are new again. I know there are dots on the back of the chip that can be covered with scotch tape, but for a 901 cartridge I do not know which ones they are. Can anyone help?

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by mlake (12/13/09 12:13 AM) reply + / -
I have refilled my 901 cartridge and want to reset the ink levels. read an article in ehow.com that said that the printer can only keep 2 memories so that if you have 3 cartridges and insert one, print a test page, pull it out, insert cartridge #2, print a test page, then insert cartridge #3 that the printer can only hold 2 memories, then will show full. Has anyone tried this? I will need to buy another cartridge to have 3.

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by boeyks (12/13/09 6:12 PM) reply + / -
Dear Mlake
I am not sure about your suggestion using 3 cartridges It a big gamble to have 3 cartridgs since these HP cartridges are so expensive By the way have the cartridges have to be new ( for 2 of them ) or refill
Best of luck to you
Wpuld lke to know the result if anybody has tried
tks
regards

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (12/14/09 12:53 AM) reply + / -
Hello!

You can't reset the ink levels by cycling through 3 cartridges. the ink level is somehow saved in the cartridge. just ignore the low ink level warning when you want to refill them. you can ignore it as long as you want, nothing will happen.

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by boeyks (12/14/09 6:52 AM) reply + / -
Dear Alexgrosy
Tks for your comment about the 3 cartridges method of resetting the ink level . Thought that it will not work . also your comment that to ignore the low ink level is also not possible as after sometime with low ink level the printer just wont function . You just cant print How did you manage to overcome this by simply ignoring ??
regards

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (12/14/09 2:45 PM) reply + / -
Hi!

The ink level waning has nothing to do with the printer printing or not. you can ignore it! also it will dissapear shortly after it comes up the first time, the ink level then changes to "unknown" with a question mark next to the indicator. The printer does not know the ink level in the cartridge. The indicator you see is just a "good guess" depending on the amount of pages you have printed.
I'm currently at page #11000 with the second cartridge. The first one failed after about 9000 pages (bad lines)
It looks like the printer knows when lines are getting bad in the cartridge like shortened or broken contacts. Only then it will stop printing and will show a cartridge error message on the display.
The print nozzles only tend to fail if the cartridge runs dry, ink is necessary to cool the cartridge! So just make sure the Cartridge always has plenty of ink and never runs dry. As soon as you see streaks in the printout it's too late, the cartridge may already be broken due to overheating then.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by boeyks (12/14/09 5:54 PM) reply + / -
Hi
I think you are very lucky to have printed # 11,000 with your second cartridge with self refilled ink & # 9000 with the first one
My HP 4660 rejected the self refilled cartridge when it is empty & i fill it up fot reuse But this fail as the printer could not print ( in black ink mode but Ok with color mode) Even I tried with a new cartridge later it still could not function So i had to get a new printer Since i refuse to use HP again as it was so sensitive & with so bad experience on their cartridges!!! ( this is my 3 HP and now I had changed to a Samsung ) You are lucky with yours I am sure many others have my type of experience with HP ink jet printers
tks for your reply regards

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by XMonk (12/16/09 2:18 PM) reply + / -
I'm looking to re-fill HP 901 cartridges. Can someone recommend a supplier of kits and instrucitons that will work for the 901, as well as ink?

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by XMonk (12/16/09 2:21 PM) reply + / -
I'm looking to re-fill HP 901 cartridges. Can someone recommend a supplier of kits and instrucitons that will work for the 901, as well as ink?

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by fast40 (12/16/09 3:22 PM) reply + / -
Hey XMONK!!!

I most certainly don't blame you for wanting to save $. All of us are alike in that desire. However, please go back and read all the posts to this thread and you will find, it just isn't as simple as one would hope and might expect. That said, this link is to a supplier that I've found to be the best deal on the net for name brand and generic cartridges along with free shipping: http://www.inksmile.com
For refill kits, both black and color, Walgreens sells them very reasonably, they are good quality, and they frequently have them on sale.

I hope this helps and good luck, FAST40

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (12/17/09 8:37 AM) reply + / -
Fast40: Thanks for the info and the warning. I've read the thread and feel adventuresome.

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by cyfelder43 (1/10/10 1:16 PM) reply + / -
My black ink does not print out at all. I have 2 buy a new hp ink cartridge. can u please help me with this

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by cyfelder43 (1/10/10 1:17 PM) reply + / -
My black ink does not print out at all. I have 2 buy a new hp ink cartridge. can u please help me with this

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by cyfelder43 (1/10/10 1:17 PM) reply + / -

Re: Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (1/10/10 8:01 PM) reply + / -
Hey cyfelder43: I'm not sure I understand what it is you are needing help with. What you've stated, it sounds pretty straightforward, I think. But please elaborate as it just isn't clear what assistance you may benefit from.

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by ibrene (1/12/10 2:37 AM) reply + / -
Halo there.
I have a printer HP Officejet J4680, where i need to reset the cartridge.
Can you send me the side, you say I need to reset the cartridge.
I can't find the side on the weebside.
I hope you can help me here in Denmark.
Halo from
Steen

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by rob137 (1/12/10 8:32 AM) reply + / -
Hi all,

I work in the office supply business and do NOT sell printers, so I can offer some unbiased input on this topic.

Most everything I have read here mirrors what our customers have been complaining about for the last year or two regarding the new hp printers, that is, after the cartridge has been removed/reinserted "too many times", the printer will behave erratically, or simply refuse to print at all. ("Too many times" is usually 4-8, though it has been as few as 1 or 2.) This can happen whether you use refills or originals. The exact error message/problem varies between hp printer model numbers and even within lots of the same model, though its been especially a problem in printers using the 60's, 90's and 901 series of cartridges.

Cleaning the contacts sometimes fixes the problem, but usually not for long.

A SOLUTION that many of our customers now utilize works very well: Do NOT buy hp printers using the above cartridges!
(otherwise, you will have nothing but problems)

The other major inkjet manufactures sell products under $100 which offer the same or higher print quality but tend to last much longer and are "refill friendly". Some of them may require a chip-resetter (about $12) to refill, but its well worth it.

Also, I recommend yo do your research and order your product online since what you will find at the local big box retailer is usually a junk model designed to make you come back and buy a replacement in a year or so....

regards

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Alexgrosy (1/12/10 12:17 PM) reply + / -
Hi!

I'm currently at page #12000 with the second black cartridge. The first one failed after about 9000 pages. I don't have to remove the cartridge to refill it, it fills automatically so maybe that's why mine last so long!

regards, alex

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (1/16/10 4:47 PM) reply + / -
Probably you are sticking the refill needle too deeply into the cartridge. When you do that, the needle is basically blocked up, so you put a lot of pressure on the syringe ... and in doing so, end up with a lot of pressure on the cartridge jet holes. Barely stick the needle into the cartridge refill hole (black goes in the hole in approximately the center of the cartridge). Add ink until the fill hole starts to fill with ink, then slap the label back over the hole and you're done.

Re: Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (2/1/10 10:08 AM) reply + / -
Hello Steen,
I have the same problem. Did you find out how to 'reset' the HP901 cartridge (for HPj4580 printer)?
Please advise.
Thanks,
Charlie db91765 at yahoo dot com

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (2/18/10 10:58 AM) reply + / -
General comments on refilling cartridges.

Always insert the needle slowly and try not to use the same path - change the angle you insert the needle at or if there are more than one entry hole use them. Using the same path time after time will cause a 'hole' through the sponge leading to leaking.

Fill it slowly - no prizes for being the fastest !!!!

Do not puncture the mesh filter which protects the printhead.This will cause leaking and block the printhead internally.

There are no restters for hp cartridges. You may find that an incompatible cartridge will work if you leave it in the printer on switch off and after some time switch back on but the chances are slim!

Blocked printheads - no footprint - Boiling water - allow the printhead to stand in it for 10 minutes - no more than 5-7mm deep- do not drown it - dry it off carefully with kitchen or bathroom paper.

Do not be tempted to use glue to re-fasten the label on the top - if it falls off - the cartridge will still work - if air can not into the top - ink can get out the bottom !

If you get a cartridge without holes - just drll a small one.

Hope these tips help.

Re: Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by roy697 (3/6/10 8:35 PM) reply + / -
use a toothpick to test the holes for color.

Re: Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Kasamigrama (4/1/10 12:18 PM) reply + / -
When the ink really got low in the refilled cartridge, the print got dimmer, so I suppose here's my sign! But, it worked until then. Kasamigrama

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by musicnazi (4/5/10 4:13 PM) reply + / -
Help. I am having the problem of "incompatible cartridge" with my J4550. I have a 901XL cartridge and the expiration date has not expired yet. That cannot be the problem in my case. The cartridge worked fine for a while after getting it refilled, and then it gave me the error. I took it back to get it checked and filled again at Costco, they refilled it for me since there was a bit of ink gone, but it still gives me the error.

I have another cartridge that I actually got at Cartridge world, and it seems to work fine. It must be the XL cartridges. Any ways anyone has come up with to make the XL work? Is it something in the circuitry?

Just wondering if anyone has found a solution to this cartridge problem. Would hate to waste a good refill. Although I guess I can take it back and get a refund, Costco is good about that type of thing.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Tami

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by mike jackson (4/12/10 1:46 PM) reply + / -
Thanks!

I had given up refilling the 901s cuz they just leaked all over my printer. This was really helpful. Also the boiling water helped me salvage a perfectly good hp#78 refill that had clogged printheads.

Thanks again, Mike

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (4/13/10 7:54 AM) reply + / -
I bought a J4680. I always have had HP printers in the past and always reloaded my own cartridges, but now that I have this new printer which also requires the 901 cartridge. It won't accept my refill, nor will it accept any other refill. I did discover quite by accident that if I leave out the black cartridge and run the printer in reserve mode using ONLY THE TRI COLOR CARTRIDGE it will work! I have plenty of bulk ink. I have refilled that cartridge 3 times and it is still going just fine. It is slower running in reserve mode, but I am not in any hurry, so I will just keep pushing this cartridge until it won't work anymore before I buy a new one and I don't plan on ever buying a black cartridge because I know I will not be able to refill it myself. I hope this works for others as well.
BB

Re: Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (4/14/10 12:02 PM) reply + / -
I'm sure by now, this is solved. For me, I gently peel off the label and by so doing I see the holes with colors visible for refilling the cartridge. I then replace the label and re-inforce it with scotch tape.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (4/27/10 2:52 PM) reply + / -
Hi;

I was wondering if using a magnet on the cartridge would erase its memory?

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by JoCo (4/27/10 2:58 PM) reply + / -
I refilled my HP901 cartridge and it worked in my J4680 for a while before giving me a cartridge error. I attempted to do the procedure of covering sensor 1 and then covering sensor 2 and that failed. So, I purchased a new cartridge and put it in the printer, that worked to go through the cartridge alignment procedure. Then I put the old refilled cartridge back in the printer and it went through the cartridge alignment procedure for that cartridge. That is what I would expect. I then covered the sensor 1 and then sensor 2 and all seemed to work fine. I could print and make copies without a hitch.

Then I tried to receive a fax and boy was it a mess. Some of the fax lines of print are okay but most have a portion of the line covered with a thick line of black as if you wanted to mark out a line with a marking pen.

I reinstalled the new cartridge and had the fax sent again. The fax worked fine with the new cartridge. I reinstalled the old refilled cartridge again and all went well during the cartridge alignment process, test print ect., but it repeated the problem on another fax.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on how a fax printing would differ from copy or printed page. I thought that I may have overfilled the cartridge but that would make a mess of every printer function.

I can at least affirm that the printer does keep track of the serial number or some ID of the cartridge last used because each change of the cartridge invokes a cartridge realignment process.

Any suggestions on making the fax print correctly with a refilled cartridge?

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (5/3/10 12:28 AM) reply + / -
Not so hard to fill Color Inkjets. Just Peal of the Sticker; Peep through the hole and find the color; If unable to see through the hole; Just take a needle or pin; Insert it into the hole so that you pierce it into the sponge; take it out; you can see the color stain on the needle or pin. Now refill the same color into the correct compartment. There will be 3 compartments in color cartridge. These compartments will be small so inject less ink each time to avoid overflowing.

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (5/3/10 12:31 AM) reply + / -
Not so hard to fill Color Inkjets. Just Peal of the Sticker; Peep through the hole and find the color; If unable to see through the hole; Just take a needle or pin; Insert it into the hole so that you pierce it into the sponge; take it out; you can see the color stain on the needle or pin. Now refill the same color into the correct compartment. There will be 3 compartments in color cartridge. These compartments will be small so inject less ink each time to avoid overflowing.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Anonymous (5/18/10 5:05 PM) reply + / -
we also refill all our cartridges and it saves a lot of $$$ but we are having so many problems refilling the black 901. it's a mess. i have been not been able to find and direction. let me know if you find anything ty

Any Hack/Solution Yet? by nabeel (6/15/10 4:11 AM) reply + / -
Hello.

Is there any solution to this problem yet?

I have HPJ4580 which uses 901 Cartridges.

I refilled the black cartridge and it was working fine initially but now it is not accepting this black cartridge. It is saying:

"Incompatible print cartridge: Black"

Please tell me whether there is a hack now, or is it still a problem?

I read through this thread, but cannot find a solution.

Thanks,
Nabeel

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by napmag (6/26/10 8:34 AM) reply + / -
How does the ink cartridge fill automatically??

Re: HP Officejet ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by JoCo (6/26/10 10:07 AM) reply + / -
I have all but given up on being able to refill the 901 (XL) for my HP Officejet J4680c printer.

I tried ordering what is called a Compatible (CC654AN) high capacity cartridge and that doesn't work either. They tried sending me a replacement, no luck there either. Purchasing a new cartridge works, but everything else I have tried fails.

If anyone finds a solution let me know.

Maybe a re-manufactured cartridge will work?

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by InkJet1 (6/28/10 8:47 AM) reply + / -
I think your right about the internal memory keeps the last two cartridges in memory. I have found out that using three cartridges and rotating them keeps me going.
Have you found a method to keep one cartridge going even after receiving the out of ink or incompatible message?
Would like to find a way to use just the one cartridge. Is there a way to reset it or clear the firmware memory in the printer?

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by nevarDeath (6/30/10 4:50 PM) reply + / -
I refill these professionally. Here's some details.

The first mistake I see repeated in this thread is that you are filling in the top left hole on the black. Due to the way the sponge hits the filter inside, you will get the most ink used if you stick your needle straight down the large middle hole. Take the sticker off to see it, but it's almost in the middle of the cartridge and is larger than normal. The color fills just like a 93/95/97 as previously stated. On the cyan and magenta, stick the needles in the topmost of the 2 available holes, but not too far or you will peirce the filter. Half an inch is just a little too far.

Second thing about these is HP has made them very cheaply. The circuit strip on the cartridges fail quicker than older cartridges, which is why you have so many problems with cartridge failure

Third, ink levels cannot be reset. None fo the HP sponge styles reset reliably and it's quite time consuming to do it.

fourth, these printers have some kind of new technology I haven't completly figured out, for detecting refills. They are very error prone with refills and not consistent either. I had one color cartridge that it said was incompatible. I turned the printer off and went home for the weekend. When I came back on monday, I turned the printer on and put in a refilled black cartridge for testing and the color worked fine and didn't give me any more errors.

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by PeteInInd (7/6/10 5:03 PM) reply + / -
Hi Alexgrosy... You're certainly getting your money worth! The CISS that you've installed. Did you get a general CISS system and then installed it on your original cartridges? Where did you get it from and how much?

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Visitor (7/13/10 8:53 AM) reply + / -
Elsewhere I read that reseting the printer will solve the bad-cartridge problem. No idea why, but maybe the printer remembers the last cartridge (as said above) and then will not change his mind on it. So cycling cartridges could also help?
Reseting can be done using the printer menu or by the following procedure:
Unplug power cord / wait 20sec / press # and 3 key / plugin power cord / release both keys when printer comes alive

I did not test this, all this is just what I have read!

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by peteInInd (7/14/10 4:12 AM) reply + / -
Bad Cartridge is easily tackled by removing the cartridge and wiping the electrical points with a clean lint-free cloth and inserting them back. The message about low-ink can be ignored, it does not hamper printing especially if you use a CISS

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Charles Wood (7/26/10 11:59 AM) reply + / -
Read the article about refilling the HP 901 black ink cartridge for resetting the printer ink level.

Step 1. Turn your printer on and take out the cartridges.

Step 2. Take a piece of tape and cover contact #1, as in the picture below.

Step 3. Put the cartridge back into the printer. It will print out an alignment page.

Step 4. Take the cartridge out and put tape over contact #2, as in the picture below.

Step 5. Remove all the tape and put the cartridge back into the printer. The ink levels should now be reset.

There was no picture shown so where are the contacts 1 and 2?

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Judson (8/9/10 4:34 PM) reply + / -
I have been refilling my HP cartridges for quite some time. I am now using a HP Officejet J4580 which has the 901 cartridges. I decided after reading all these posts that probably the cartridges should be removed and replaced after refilling with the computer and the printer turned OFF. I just refilled and replaced my tri-color cartridge. It prints, but my reds have evenly spaced dark and light red stripes. Anyone have an idea on how to get it back to solid red?

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by nevarDeath (8/9/10 8:15 PM) reply + / -
Judson - The only thing that would cause a line like that is a problem with the printhead. Try soaking it in hot water and/or pressing it on a damp papertowel a few times. if that doesn't fix it, just go buy another one.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by carrt7 (9/8/10 7:25 AM) reply + / -
To summarize this whole thread on HP901 cartridges in HP 45xx printers:

- printer message (ink low) probably does NOT ever stop printing?
- printer message CANNOT be fooled by covering contacts
- printer message probably can't be fooled by rotating 3 cartridges? (Uncertain - somebody please test)
- "incompatible" message probably NOT due to low ink, but to poor contacts with print head - try cleaning it
- contacts are crummy, don't replace cartridges often
- printer message MIGHT be fooled by replacing cartridges with printer off? (Someone please try)
- printer message MIGHT be fooled by "resetting" printer, ie powering up printer while depressing "3" and "#" keys (someone please try)
- printer message MIGHT be fooled by resetting Windows system date to before cartridge expiry date (someone please try)
- printer message CAN be fooled by leaving black cartridge out and running printer on "Reserve" mode, using colour ink only
- HP do not seem to have restricted refilling of colour cartridges? (On a previous model, they restricted refilling colour but not black cartridges)

Keep up the research, guys!

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by carrt7 (9/12/10 3:11 PM) reply + / -
I refilled my HP901 ink cartridge and replaced it: the OJ4500 printed a dozen or so pages correctly, then announced "incompatible cartridge" - MUST have been because it decided the ink was low.

I powered off and "reset" (powered up pressing "3" and "#") - no effect.

I powered off and reset, removed the black (refilled) cartridge and mopped up some leakage, powered off and reset again (with the cartridge missing), pressed OK a few times, and printed a page in grey (from the colour cartridge alone).

Then I powered off, reset and changed the locale, re-inserted the filled 901 cartridge, and to my amazement the OJ4500 announced "refilled or depleted cartridge" and asked me to print the alignment sheet. I completed the alignment procedure.

Since then the printer has printed several dozen sheets (using black ink only) very happily, and continues. It says "ink status unknown".

Maybe we have solved the problem?

(To reduce ink consumption, Print, Properties, Advanced tab, Ink Vol, set to Change, hit Change button, set slider to extreme left)
(To avoid depleting colour cartridge, Print, Properties, Features tab, PrintInGrayscale, click HighQuality dropdown list, choose Black ink only)

To summarize:
- "incompatible" message IS due to low ink (not to poor contact with print head) and DOES stop printing
- printer message CANNOT be fooled by covering contacts
- printer message probably can't be fooled by rotating 3 cartridges? (Uncertain - somebody please test)
- contacts are crummy, don't replace cartridges often
- printer message can be fooled by REMOVING cartridge, turning printer off and resetting printer at power-up (hold 3 and # keys) - might be necessary to change printer locale at reset, printing without black cartridge, then replacing cartridge and resetting again
- printer message MIGHT be fooled by resetting Windows system date to before cartridge expiry date (someone please try)
- HP do not seem to have restricted refilling of colour cartridges?

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by carrt7 (9/16/10 6:11 AM) reply + / -
Update 16sep10: After printing about 500 sheets fine, the cartridge ran out of ink abruptly, and the HP4500 did NOT notice - simply printed sheet after sheet of blank white. So I refilled the HP901 (it's the cheap one that came with the printer, only half-filled?) again, reinserted it, and the printer continued printing for a few sheets without comment.

However, I had overfilled the cartridge, it splashed blots, and at once the HP4500 announced "incompatible cartridge, black" and stopped printing.

When I mopped up the surplus ink inside the printer, let the cartridge drip overnight, replaced it and reset the HP4500 (changing locale), it still complained "incompatible cartridge". So I removed the black cartridge and reset the printer. This time I encountered a new message: "Printer Cartridge Problem - consult documentation", and the printer was totally refractory - wouldn't respond to any buttons, wouldn't print from colour cartridge, wouldn't do anything!

Another reset (and change of locale) solved this. "Cartridge not available", I printed a few sheets using the colour cartridge, then reinserted the black cartridge, got "Refilled or Depleted Cartridge", and it now prints fine again.

Conclusion:
- The HP4500 detects ink splash and responds with "Incompatible Cartridge"?
- The sequence RemoveCartr, Reset, PrintWithout, Reset, Reinsert seems to work fine.

Re: Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Chrisdiditearlier (9/16/10 9:18 AM) reply + / -

Here are the fill hole colors for the 901 HP cartridge

Print head end

X Yellow

X Magenta X Cyan (blue)
(red)

901 Label

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by carrt7 (11/14/10 4:50 AM) reply + / -
A word of caution. I took my refilled black HP901 cartridge out of the HP4500 and put it in another, brand new, HP4500. The new printer immediately announced "depleted cartridge inserted"!

So the chip in the cartridge itself is announcing it's been used. Yuk.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by xxbarbsxx (12/14/10 5:09 PM) reply + / -
CISS HP OFFICEJET J4680 - I bought one of these systems about 2 months ago - The system is one you have to put all together on your cartridges - at first noticed the black going down quite quickly- but thought well i do a lot of printing im a student!

Well 2 days ago the printer started saying problem with black cartridge refer to troubleshooter.

When i took the CISS system out noticed quite a lot of ink inside and since i have taken it out the blue that was full is now empty.

ANY suggestions apart from buy more ink??

Also has anyone found a CISS for the same printer that has fixed cartridges?? Ive seen alot of these around for other HP and other models just not J4680.

Thanks

Barb

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by nevarDeath (12/15/10 9:14 PM) reply + / -
@Barb - As an experienced technician, this is what I would do: Clean all the contacts inside the printer very well. (the ones the ink cartridge touches) Windex is really great, or hot water on a paper towel is second best. Make sure the cloth is lightly damp. A microfiber cloth is best as it doesn't leave fibers behind.

Then buy new OEM cartridges and run through those. DO NOT buy refilled cartridges to hook this into. There are way too many variables and potential problems with this, not to mention the very real wear on the electrical contacts, which is your main enemy with this printer.

Install the CISS system into those cartridges and be VERY careful and precise to get a good seal with your hoses. I cannot stress enough that you must be VERY precise and have it as tight and secure as possible. Also the placement of the hoses on the cartridges is very important. HP sells different versions of the black. The differences are in the sponges. Most of the new 901 cartridges you buy only have the sponge under the middle hole (the large middle hole in the top of the cartridge). It runs from the left side of the cartridge to the right side of the cartridge, but they put walls about a quarter of an inch away from the middle hole along the top and bottom.

Due to the physics of the cartridges, I would get a regular 901, not an XL, to install this system onto. Also be very careful and cautious when putting the cartridges in and taking them out, so as not to put any undo pressure on the electrical contacts of the cartridge. (the thin strip with all the dots on it) Also keep them as clean as possible when installing the CISS onto them. Once you have the system installed, do not remove the cartridges again, unless you absolutely must, because HP has obviously designed them to not withstand too many in/out cycles.

I have done over a year of research and development for my small company on refilling HP ink cartridges and learned about the liquid physics, properties of the sponges, etc. I sincerely do NOT understand how these CISS systems that you install into OEM sponge cartridges provide quality and reliable prints. The concept goes against the design of these cartridges. They were designed to hold small amounts of ink. In fact, when refilling, I have found that if I entirely saturate the sponges, my success rate drops quickly and considerably. It's common knowledge among refillers that you need to leave a dry band of sponge at the top for the pressure to be high enough that the ink pushes into the firing chambers correctly. The reason I AM suggesting the above course of action for you is that you have already purchased the system and based on my experience I believe the procedure I outlined for you above is your best chance of success, if you will ever have success with this system.

These cartridges are a nightmare to refill for many reasons and the printers are cheap and flimsy. Their paper pickup mechanisms have a very flimsy and poor design too.

I would never recommend one of these systems that attach to an OEM sponge cartridge for that reason. If you do find one that has fixed cartridges then I would definitely get it. The reason you most likely won't is because HP holds patents on the printheads in these and it would be illegal to manufacture or sell such a thing in the US. I have run across these and completely third party, generic cartridges (printheads and all) here in the US, so it is possible, but not legal. If you have any friends in china, I'm sure they could find a system like this for you.

All that said, if you are really printing enough that it's more cost effective for you to buy a CISS system, you really need to invest in a nice used laser printer. Get a monochrome printer (LaserJet 1320 is a good one, you get 6,000 page yield from one cartridge.) and just use the officejet for color coversheets and whatnot. Also if you go with a 1320, DO NOT buy OEM cartridges. try different refillers until you find the best one in your area. Toner tech has advanced since they released this printer and at my company, we LOVE to compare our quality to HP's because ours is always deep black while HP's is lighter and grainier. This is due to the formulation of the third party toner we put in the cartridges mostly. We also clean them and replace broken or worn pieces inside. If your refiller is drilling holes in the outside of the cartridges, you will not consistently get good quality from them, no matter what toner they put in them. Ours is 60% cheaper than HP's too.

If you need color, go with a refurbished HP 4600 (10,000 page yield cartridges) or 3600 (6,000 page yield cartridges). The 4600 is awesome if you're more worried about the cost of printing rather than the speed of printing. The 3600 is more about speed, but is one of the last great printers HP made. they don't sell color lasers with this large of cartridges anymore, at least not in that price range. The quality of refills will vary greatly with these printers (or any color laser for that matter) I would definitely try different ones in your area and don't hesitate to use their 100% satisfaction guarantee if the prints are not what they should be (if they don't have 100% guarantee, then you should not be buying from them.) Also with ONLY the 3600, expect to see drill holes in the refilled cartridges. They are nearly impossible to do any other way.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by xxbarbsxx (12/16/10 4:31 PM) reply + / -
@nevarDeath Thank you for your advice I will defently try replacing the cartridges.

The reason I am using a CISS is as a student with a family I need a cheap way of printing as I use ink cartridges like water. I saw this CISS and thought what a great idea. It was all going so well until the black.

I have been told the way the CISS works is all on vacuum and they suggested to me that the reason the blue dumped is that as i took it out it might have lost its vacuum. Maybe??

Barb :D

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Muhammad Asad (12/21/10 7:19 AM) reply + / -
I had message 'incompatible cartridge' after refilling the color cartridge. Then my printer was out of use for many months. When one day I switched on my printer it announced incompatible color cartridge'. When removed color cartridge, printer worked fine with black only. I wanted a trial whether my cartridge works, so I put 1ml of tap water into each color hole. Then I switched off the printer with neither cartridges in place, disconnected from main supply, and waited for a minute. I pressed and held # and 3 keys simultaneously and switched on the printer with power button. It started reset menu. I changed locale to Australia. After printer was on, I put both the cartridges in the printer.
The cartrige alignation started (as it does with new cartridges). Now it didnt show the message 'incompatible cartridge' but ink holes were clogged. It run as if is printing but no ink was sprayed. I cleaned holes with Isopropyl alcohol (available at chemist shop)soaked lint free cloth. Then I put the cartridge head in Isopropyl alcohol about 5mm deep for around 3 hours. Cleaned it with cloth and sucked hard with my mouth sealed around print head, many times. It stained my tongue but it was only a little price I paid to save me 21 dollars. I refilled with tricolor ink, put in the printer and now it is working fine. It seems one hole of cyan color is still clogged because there is some lines at regular intervals when a blue color background is printed. No problem in printing text. Let me know if any of you tried this and got favourable results.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by sndspeed (1/31/11 5:04 PM) reply + / -
Let's get down to brass tacks-- after wading all the way through this forum it is apparent that HP has taken steps to frustrate its printer customers away from using refilled cartridges. Clearly, printer companies push these cheaply made printers out to the public at cost or at a loss simply to enmesh users into the costly process of repeatedly buying new print cartridges at $20+ a throw.

As customers became savvy enough to refill cartridges themselves for pennies or have them refilled by third parties for one third the cost of new cartridges-- HP and the rest took a big hit. CLEARLY, dates included on cartridges, counter functions, low ink warnings, usage indicators and the like have not been put onto/into these new generation cartridges to "help" the consumer with print quality and performance. HP was quick to learn that previous cartridge designs could be carefully refilled to yield literally thousands of copies to their owners... and that was simply unacceptable. These 901 cartridges are designed to confuse and control customer usage and finally to compel the purchase of brand new egregiously overpriced product. Talk about Big Brother!

No "answers" here -- just the truth about what is happening with all these problems folks are having. Please make YOUR displeasure known. E-mail HP and tell them you won't be manipulated into buying anymore of their worthless products. Let the bastards know that you understand their game and that you're unwilling to play.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by rprest@comcast.net (2/20/11 1:04 PM) reply + / -
I've read all suggestions and tried all methods...still no luck. I'm tempted to pay for HP consult and ask point blank if it's possible to use refilled cartridges...

any comments appreciated.

RP

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by spongo (3/22/11 8:10 AM) reply + / -
Hi im just going to do this, as my children use my printer a lot. plus i work from home, these are soo exspensive, but refering to the printer still indicating low a freind advised me that it would do this, as the chip has an indication to when installed and when run out, so think it may be this, but if it still prints not to worry about the warning low sign..will let you know how I get on,thanx x

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by maxamus (4/7/11 8:16 PM) reply + / -
No advice, all I have to say is I FREAKING HATE HEWLETT PACKARD and I will never in my life buy any of their products ever again.

This is like buying a car and them telling me I can ONLY get gas at THEIR overpriced station and my car will NOT run if I try to fill it anywhere else.

FUHP!!

Re: Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by catdvm75 (4/17/11 4:21 PM) reply + / -
Just thought I would share my experience with you. There is an easy why to get around the low ink warning. I think it must be associated with the electronic recognition of the cartridge. I assume they have individual ID numbers. What I do and it works is that I have two black cartridges that I swap out. When one gets low I refill the other and insert it, when that one gets low I refill the other one and swap it out. So far the computer recognizes it as a new cartridge and I don't get the low ink warning. Hope that helps.

Cat

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by sndspeed (4/18/11 12:27 AM) reply + / -
As catdvm75 points out, this alternating cartridges seems to work. This is the approach I'm using (successfully-- so far).

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by datukung2 (5/20/11 9:54 PM) reply + / -
Just want to share with you what I did with my 901(black) cartridge. My old 901 took only a few ml. of ink after refilling it the 2nd time. After 4 times of refilling small amount, my printer says incompatible cartridge. So I opened up the top lid of the cartridge (by force - a bit tricky) and guess what, the top part of the sponge dried up and won't take any ink. To my horror the size of the sponge is so tiny - its a rip off. Then I cleaned the whole cartridge and sponge with water. (yes normal tap water)After letting it dry, I put the sponge back and filled it with ink which took quite a fair bit of ink and put the lid back on (still loose) and stick it into the printer. No luck, incompatible cartridge again. So I took a very strong magnet and skimmed it around the chip and wiped the contacts and put it back. It worked, the printer detected it as new cartridge. Then I took the cartridge out and sealed the lid with hot melt glue and tidy up the glue edges with sharp blade. After I test printed a page, the nozzle was apparently blocked or air trap. So I use an empty syringe with out the needle, placed it on the refilling hole and push the plunger with a fast quick stroke and that pushed out some ink and whatever was blocking the nozzle. Did that for 3 times and tested it again. It worked like new. The next thing I am going to do is open it up and modify it and put in a bigger sponge it. Hope it work.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by stringrazor (7/12/11 3:15 PM) reply + / -
CostCo refilled my 901 cart for J4680 twice. Yesterday, the printer declared "incompatible print cartridge". I tried a # 6 reset but it eventually came back to the same message. I did however find that IF YOU DON'T START THE ALIGNMENT PROCEDURE, THE PRINTER CONTINUES TO PRINT FINE FROM THE "INCOMPATIBLE" CART! Yes, it's very annoying that the printer's LCD continues to say "Press OK st start alignment" and the status on the PC s/w is screwed but so far my printer is usable in that state with the 2x refilled cart.

When I get time, I will try the locale switch trick too.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by Jtjtxo7 (8/5/11 11:31 AM) reply + / -
I have never refilled my own ink before so sorry if this is a dumb question. Which hole do I put the syringe in? I peeled the 901 sticker off and I see 6 holes. Like a #5 domino with an oblong hole above the one in the middle. I figured it's the oblong one but I want to make sure before I ruin it. The would defeat the purpose of trying to save money. Thank u.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by PCGOD (10/5/11 2:30 PM) reply + / -
Just figured out how to reset the HP901 Ink Cartridge(black)(and assume tri-color too). Just cover the TOP 4 copper contacts with clear tape. I did that and it reset and stopped showing the incompatible ink cartridge error but it did not show the ink level just a blue "?" where the ink level should be. I have an HP Officejet J4540 All-in-One It's been over 400 pages and I have not received that error again.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by carrt7 (10/29/11 4:57 PM) reply + / -
We've moved to HP61 cartridges in a DeskJet 3050 (J610), but they seem to behave like the HP901. We've been using a cartridge every 3 days for 2 months, so we've filled a lot of cartridges. Here is our experience.

You can buy a PINT of ink for about US$20. You need a friendly pharmacist to supply one or two 10ml syringes and coarse needles.

The best results come from refilling a cartridge an hour or two before you need it. Filling in advance means (untaped) they dry out, and you have to refill them again, or (taped) they tend to dribble under the tape and lose half the ink.

It's best to peel off the plastic label from the top of the cartridge. This allows you to see when the sponge top gets wet, to avoid overfill. Also, check the print head is not totally dry (should make some blot when pressed on tissue). If it's dry, press the print head down hard on some wet tissue for a few seconds, to drive a little clean water into the nozzles, before you fill. Some ink suppliers provide "cleaning fluid" for the nozzles.

When you fill, push the needle almost straight down, but towards the centre of the print head (bottom horizontal surface), up to the hard layer but don't puncture it (tends to cause dribbling). Spend 30-60 seconds injecting just 5mls (more will just be wasted, and cause drips).

By the end of the injection you should see run-up (ink glistening at the sponge covering the filler hole) AND run-through (a drip or two of ink falling out of the print head onto your tissue). Otherwise you are in danger of creating an airlock - the cartridge will print a few pages and then appear dry.

Before using a cartridge, shake it from side to side and check (a) there's no liquid-slopping-about feel, and (b) it doesn't drip from the print head when shaken. Either one indicates it's overfilled and will dribble in your printer. You can empty it by standing it upside-down on a wad of dry tissue overnight, then start again.

The printer can detect the print head being too wet ("incompatible cartridge error") or too dry ("counterfeit or refilled cartridge"). If you get the second error, just keep pressing OK. (Occasionally you may need to do this without being prompted, in order for printing to start.) If you get the first error, take out the cartridge, swap in another one, clean and dry the cartridge a bit, and reinsert it.

You can tell the printer to cancel its interminable "alignment checks" - but it will keep asking, every day! Best way is to keep the original virgin alignment sheet on the glass platen. Let the machine print an alignment page with your cartridge, discard the page, and let it scan the original sheet - it will say "alignment successful", even if you've run out of colour ink entirely, or your black is sketchy.

If you're desperate, you can remove the black cartridge altogether and print using the colour cartridge alone (the printer will ask permission first). And you can even refill the colour cartridge with black ink, if you're not using colour.

Hope this helps!

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by carrt7 (11/7/11 9:37 AM) reply + / -
A breakthrough!

Many HP printers will print WITHOUT a black cartridge, in "single-cartridge mode", by combining all 3 colours from the colour-cartridge to produce black.

On our HP Deskjet 3050 we have refilled an empty colour cartridge with BLACK ink in all 3 compartments! It works very well - and gives you 3 chances instead of one. If one colour clogs up or develops an airlock, the others will still print, in black.

You do have to keep reassuring the machine that you WANT single-cartridge mode.

Incidentally, could the Moderator of this site please note that when one Previews a post and then selects "Go Back And Edit", it ERASES the text!!! Not helpful.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by carrt7 (11/7/11 9:41 AM) reply + / -
A breakthrough!

Many HP printers will print WITHOUT a black cartridge, in "single-cartridge mode", by combining all 3 colours from the colour-cartridge to produce black.

On our HP Deskjet 3050 we have refilled an empty colour cartridge with BLACK ink in all 3 compartments! It works very well - and gives you 3 chances instead of one. If one colour clogs up or develops an airlock, the others will still print, in black.

You do have to keep reassuring the machine that you WANT single-cartridge mode.

Incidentally, could the Moderator of this site please note that when one Previews a post and then selects "Go Back And Edit", it ERASES the text!!! Not helpful.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by carrt7 (11/20/11 4:02 AM) reply + / -
Two more hints:

After removing the label and filling the cartridge, hold some paper tissue over the fill holes, invert the cartridge, shake it, and hold for a few seconds. This will drain out excess liquid ink (ie ink which was not absorbed by the sponge), avoiding leakage in the printer.

(If your cartridge leaks in the printer, it will return an "incompatible cartridge" error. You will then have to clean the print head inside the printer with a damp cloth or tissue, being careful not to leave any threads.)

When you have filled a cartridge, do not leave it in the air! It will dry out, even overnight. We are working at the equator at almost 100% humidity, but the cartridges still dry out - I guess the ink is not entirely water-based.

Leave the cartridge overnight before use (so the ink can thoroughly permeate the sponge), but leave it either in the printer or in a ziploc bag.

Moderator: please remove the duplicate of my previous message. Thanks. Tony

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by carrt7 (11/20/11 4:06 AM) reply + / -
Two more hints:

After removing the label and filling the cartridge, hold some paper tissue over the fill holes, invert the cartridge, shake it, and hold for a few seconds. This will drain out excess liquid ink (ie ink which was not absorbed by the sponge), avoiding leakage in the printer.

(If your cartridge leaks in the printer, it will return an "incompatible cartridge" error. You will then have to clean the print head inside the printer with a damp cloth or tissue, being careful not to leave any threads.)

When you have filled a cartridge, do not leave it in the air! It will dry out, even overnight. We are working at the equator at almost 100% humidity, but the cartridges still dry out - I guess the ink is not entirely water-based.

Leave the cartridge overnight before use (so the ink can thoroughly permeate the sponge), but leave it either in the printer or in a ziploc bag.

Moderator: please remove the duplicate of my previous message. Thanks. Tony

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by litldifferent (1/28/12 12:54 PM) reply + / -
As a result of what I read in this thread; I am posting a short summary of what I found concerning refilling the HP910 cartridges.

I noted two very helpful urls:

"www.ehow.com/video_4974264_refill-hp-tricolor-ink-cartridge.html"

"www.ehow.com/how_5187392_reset-hp-inkjet-cartridge.html"

I found these links when checking out a deal on an HP AllInOne 4550 at BJs.
I also found several online comments indicating that this data works
for those that tried it and indicated there results online. Thanks to all
that provided this information and those reporting problems as well
as their positive results ;)

Hope this data proves helpful to someone ;)

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by lsloss (7/23/12 10:49 AM) reply + / -
FYI: at $22 for a 5ml cartridge, it is $0.733 cents/ounce. That's 93.87 per gallon!! Why are we paying this?

Re: Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by carrt7 (7/25/12 7:21 PM) reply + / -
I wish it was $93 a gallon! If you re-do the calculation, you will find they are charging about 150 THOUSAND dollars a gallon.

Mind you, it is difficult to package the ink so it will keep on the shelf for months and still work reliably every time. Tony

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by PRAVZ (10/13/12 6:44 AM) reply + / -
hi

i m using desktop officejet 4500 g510b printer with hp 901 cartridge, i got solution for this printer its working for me after refilling,
1. turn on printer open tray
2. remove catridge
3. remove cables from back side
4. wait for 2minuts
5. install cartridge offline without power
6. turn on printer put cables back
7. press and hold # 9 buttons (do not release till getting massage "full nvm Reset")
8. cartridge detect depleted or new press ok
9. allign the catridges as per instruction in LCD
10.put alling paper in scanner press ok
11.if allignment page not printed then skip this step
12.go setting printer preference/ advance/ ink volume / do automatic to " change " (do not adjust level of volume just press ok) press ok
13. then remove usb cable
14. restart computer
15. ready to print
16. ready to allignment also
enjoy
let me know (work or not) please reply i still working on it.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by mrjoez (10/21/12 6:27 AM) reply + / -
PRAVZ,
This does not work, I tried it a few times, every time it said Used Genuine HP Cartridges installed!

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by mrjoez (10/21/12 6:38 AM) reply + / -
PRAVZ,
This does not work, I tried it a few times, every time it said Used Genuine HP Cartridges installed!

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by PRAVZ (11/1/12 1:10 AM) reply + / -
step 11.(A) scan this allignment page when asking (put allignment page into the scanner press ok)

link
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?oq1jzbovbek7156

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by PRAVZ (11/1/12 6:14 AM) reply + / -
if allignment page not printed, download IMAGE link PRINT that image and put in your scanner when asking (put allignment page into the scanner and press ok)
then allignment complete
after completed allignment 1. shutdown printer 2. remove cables 3. restart computer 4. put cables back, now you are ready to print 100%

you can print up to 50 pages with black cartridge (hp-901)
after 50 pages printed you need repeat all steps

download link

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by mrjoez (11/1/12 6:43 AM) reply + / -
PRAVZ,
Thanks for that.

What is this Image?
Is it the first Alignment page printed after someone inserted a new ink cartridge?

An Cartridges at different stages print out different patterns?

Iím trying to print it put I canít get it to print full page (as the printer would have) on my Macbook Pro Snow Leopard.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by carrt7 (11/1/12 10:00 AM) reply + / -
If you get fed up with everlasting "Alignment" demands, there is a way round it.

At the "Insert blank paper and press OK" prompt, press OK (to start the alignment process. Then immediately press the "Cancel" button.

The printer will rumble and clank irritably, but will eventually say "Alignment Failed" and work normally again.

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by PRAVZ (11/4/12 5:53 AM) reply + / -
mrjoez

yes this image printed from new ink cartridge

every cartridge allign different with coding of ink level

so if you reset printer and allign that image it will work as new
printer ink level will not show full , but it can print up to 50 pages,

you need blank paper get this image print in color use direct image print from windows 7 (windows photo viewer) or ms office word 2003-2007 from other color printer,

(final working step after refilling cartridge)

1. turn on printer open tray
2. remove catridge
3. remove cables from back side
4. wait for 2minuts
5. install cartridge offline without power
6. turn on printer put cables back
7. press and hold # 9 buttons (do not release till getting massage "full nvm Reset")
8. cartridge detect depleted or new press ok
9. allign the catridges as per instruction in LCD
10.put printed allignment paper in scanner press ok (if allignment page not printed then download attachment file print in color from other printer)
11. after allignment completed shutdown printer
12. unplug cables (power cable, usb cable)
13. restart computer
14. plug cables in printer
15. ready to print

link to download

enjoy

Re: HP Officejet J4660 ink cartridge 901 (refilling ) by khurdp (11/20/12 9:08 AM) reply + / -
Hi. I have a HP officejet J4680 installed with a CISS that i would like to sell. The ink levels are appr. 60ml magenta, 40ml yellow, 50 ml cyan, 80ml+ black. The printer has been lightly used. A couple pages at a time. Total pages printed till date 830+.

How much do you think i should sell it for? Cleveland, Ohio area.

thanks.

Re: HP OJ4500 901 cartridge refill by Dynamascope (4/3/13 9:28 AM) reply + / -
Here is a good link for directions. It has a picture of the cartridge showing the holes and what they are. I recently purchased an HP OJ4500 and the ink in the black cartridge quickly depleted. I refilled it following the directions in this link and it is now printing again, even though the HP Solution Center indicates that the black is almost empty.

http://www.printerfillingstation.com/Refill-Instructions/HP/H42.htm

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters