fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by faceless041974 (12/22/08 3:51 PM) reply + / -
Let me first say that I hate that Epson is the only manufacturer that allows for CIS systems that print on CD/DVD's. Ive gone through 4 printers in the last six months. For some reason the cyan print head keeps getting clogged. Once it was the cyan and the yellow. Epson has sent me replacements but they only last a few months before the same thing happens. Now I have to send in the printer so they can evaluate the problem and see if I need a replacement. The other problem Im having is when I power on the printer it bangs all the way to the right and the ink and paper feed buttons light up red. Im assuming this is some sort of general error. I dont know how to clear it though.

So if anyone knows how to clear that error please let me know.

Also could the ink be whats causing the clogged heads? I hear from others that Epson knows that their print heads are crap in regards to this problem. Im also wondering if the age of the ink could have anything to do with it. Since Im using a CIS system I have some bulk ink but its kept in airtight canning jars. If anyone could give any insight into this Id appreciate it. Also if anyone knows of any better CIS system let me know. I got my through Printonadime.com.

Re: Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by faceless041974 (12/22/08 5:40 PM) reply + / -
Ive also downloaded the SSC utility but it doesnt work for the R280.

Re: Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by Anonymous (12/23/08 9:52 AM) reply + / -
You can't use just any ink in a printer and that really holds true for the high definition printers. If the ink is not right it will cause clogging. Sometimes the ink rill ruin the print head. So you can't really hold Epson at fault if the ink you are using is clogging the print head. Epson inks has never clogged a print head as it was printing. It will clog if left unused. But so does Canon and H.P. Dell, Lexmark and Kodak inks.

The carriage banging is usually caused by a obstruction. Look at the CIS tubes for rub marks. They can work loose and cause problems.

Re: Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by Anonymous (12/23/08 10:43 AM) reply + / -
Im not using just any ink. I was told by the company I bought the CIS from that the ink was compatable with the Epson model I was using. This isnt the first time Ive had problems like this with Epsons. Ive had some of their older non high def printers and experienced the same problem. Saying Epson inks never clogged a head is a pretty bold statement. Ive used them exclusively because theyre the only company where you can print on DVD's. Ive had clogging problems even when I used their cartridges exclusively. And its definitely not from lack of use as I print something everyday.

As far as the carriage banging there is nothing obstructing the carriage. The carriage banging problem happened while I was using the Epson cartridges not the CIS.

Re: Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by sanfordman (4/6/09 2:25 PM) reply + / -
i think now Epson is releasing all the software to USA customers, so you can actually enter your s/n and download from their site directly. or call epson, they will give you s/w.

also, if u want to have real good inks that close to epson's and reliable cis, you should try Inkrepublic's, which has very good reputation and HD inks.
Mike sokol has a review on his workflow and cis they got from inkrepublic

http://www.inkrepublic.com/members/MikeSokol/review.asp

Re: Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by psfred (5/3/09 4:01 PM) reply + / -
Epsons will bang their print heads for a couple reasons, the most common of which is lack of lubrication on the carriage rail. Press the ink button to move the carriage to the ink loading position and unplug the printer without turning it off (this will leave the carriage unlocked so you can move it around) and slide it back and forth. It must move easily from full right to full left (it will engage the printhead cap on the right and depress the gear mechanism latch, so more resistance there is normal). If it drags or has stiff spots, wipe the shaft clean and apply a SMALL amount of teflon containing instrument oil or the Epson grease on both side of the carriage and move it back and forth again. Should move freely now.

I've gotten a couple "bad" printers that only needed some oil on the carriage shaft, this seems to be a long term issue with Epson.

You could also have some dust or dirt on the carriage "ecoder" strip that runs above the shaft. Hard to see with the cover on, but if it has ink or dirt on it, the main board can loose track of where the carriage is and slam it into the side. You can clean it by wiping it VERY gently with a soft, non scratching cloth wetted with denatured alcohol, I think. Just damp would be better, probably.

Bits of paper in the bottom of the printer can confuse the printer into thinking it has different paper in it than it does, too, and this can cause it to try to print beyond the end of the carriage.

Peter

Re: Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by Jim Jones (8/10/09 10:42 PM) reply + / -
Hey All, I also have a epson stylus r280 and my problem is a little bit different i've been printing DVD covers (on normal paper) and the black has white lines in it. My Black is completely new, so it's not that i'm running out. i dont know what the problem is. these white lines run horizontally, but the other colors and text prints over them. its just the black.

any help would be great.

Re: Re: Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by Anonymous (8/12/09 9:14 AM) reply + / -
Remove your CIS and put in Genuine Epson ink cartridges and see if your print head still clogs.

Re: Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by Paulus_Grandis (6/3/10 10:09 AM) reply + / -
Ugh, it urks me to see all these responses saying how great genuine ink is and that other inks always cause problems, blah, blah, blah...Oh please.

Long story short: That's totally bogus. "Genuine" ink is the biggest sham in print history. Not only does the "Genuine" ink itself sometimes cost more than its weight in gold, it clogs nozzles and print heads just as much as any CISS.

The problem is with Inkjets in general, they're a cheap way to get nice prints, but man they sure are flakey.

Re: Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by jodi7488 (6/30/10 8:13 AM) reply + / -
Received this printer from someone as a "gift". Get a message that it is setting up the ink but the message never goes out. I can hear ink in the cartridges when I shake them - HELP!!!

Re: Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by Monivon (7/8/10 1:17 PM) reply + / -
I have a R280 printer, I suddenly receives a message saying
to replace all the cartridges.
I tried with two different set of 78 cartridges
but the printer do not recognise them
it tells that the cartridges are not compatible
What can i do else??

Problem With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by Philman (12/3/11 6:47 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem. I have a brand new R280 and can't get the blank ink light to clear. My buddy gave me a R280 and the light magenta won't clear. I just think that epson products must be junk! Very frustrated!! This is my first try at Epson products, Looks like the last time! Is there anyone online that can offer a solution?

Ink cartridge indicators on print screen all gray by Roger Naylor (8/27/12 4:10 PM) reply + / -
I have an R280.It's been quite reliable now for about three years and does gorgeous photos.

When issuing the Print command I now get the error message: "Printer not ready."

I've checked all connections over and over. I find only one clue:
The cartridge illustrations that normally show the amount of ink in each are all a dull, ghostly gray. It's possible that one of them is empty (thus shutting down the print function), but I have no way of knowing which cartridge is the devil. Blow $100 bucks on all new cartridges to get around the problem, only to find it is still there?

I need this printer for photo work, but I'm considering a new Artisan 730. But what if my problem has a one-click fix?

Re: Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by printerrepairpros (8/28/12 11:12 AM) reply + / -
Consider that the print driver\status monitor is damaged. Remove the printer driver from your computer. Turn off for about 15 seconds. Reboot and reinstall the driver software. You may want to go to Epson's site and make sure you have the most recent version of the driver software. Hope this helps.

Re: Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by Roger A. Naylor (8/30/12 12:07 PM) reply + / -
Thanks, printerrepairpros, for your reply to my problem. Though I'm not quite sure how it came about, my problem seems to be fixed. I tried to follow your directions suggesting that I focus on the driver. Since I'm a low-level Geek I think I got off track. But . . . I certainly like the results. Maybe I can still get my customary five years out of another Epson. (Incidentally, when the color cartridges finally came back, I was out of Black and very low on Cyan.)

Re: Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by BobbyRed (2/7/13 9:04 AM) reply + / -
Upon replacing my black ink cartridge, the status monitor showed all ink cartridges needed replacement, including the one I had just replaced. I went through all the motions of changing a cartridge without actually removing a cartridge to no avail. I reseated the black ink cartridge and that failed as well (see note). I turned the printer on and off and that didn't work. I'm getting desperate now. I have a continuous ink system still in the box, but I also have a lot of spare cartridges. Then a "what if" idea hit me. I then decided to pull the power cord while the printer was powered up. I waited a few minutes and powered up the printer. The status monitor showed only the full black cartridge needed replacement. I reset the black cartridge using my handy dandy Epson cartridge chip resetter and reinserted it. The status monitor reflected a full cartridge.

Note: One of the nasty things regarding Epson printers is that chip built into the ink cartridge. Any time a user removes or reseats a cartridge, the status of that cartridge will change to "replacement required." One of Epson's troubleshooting steps for ink cartridge replacement problems is to reseat the cartridge. If there is an underlying problem elsewhere than the cartridge, the user could be replacing ink until doomsday. A chip resetter has become a valuable investment. I also use third party ink cartridges.

Re: Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by Merlin K (8/16/13 3:02 AM) reply + / -
Hey BobbyRed... what chip resetter do you have? I have a 7-pin resetter but it won't work on my R280 carts, which are 9-pin. They're Epson carts, BTW so maybe that's why. I have a set of third-party inks on order.

Re: Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by Mike-lake (1/24/14 9:40 AM) reply + / -
I have a CIS for an R280 and it has worked fairly well, it always drys out but suddenly the black has stopped completely.

I have tried to pull the ink through the bottom hole and nothing, I tried injecting it and nothing. I have done everything I can, any suggestions on how to unclog a third party CIS system for an R280. I am pretty sure the company where I bought it is long out of business.

Thanks!

Mike

Multiple Problems With Epson Stylus Photo R280 by Lasvegasscott (2/1/14 10:06 PM) reply + / -
I am at my wits end and need help. I get the parts are at the end of their life message. So i did the waste pads reset from epson, Many times. Still not working.

I am using a ciss system and have now attached an external waste tank to the back of the printer.

I love this printer and do not want to accept defeat. Any help is appreciated.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters