fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP officejet d145 printhead problem

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP officejet d145 printhead problem by pstone47 (3/31/08 4:45 PM) reply + / -
I have an officejet d145 that was not used for about six months. I put a new black and color cartridge in it and the black prints but I get a message that reads bad printheads/replace for each of the three color printheads. I tried using some isopropyl alcohol to clean the printhead but no luck.

Has anyone encountered this problem and if so is there a fix. I don't want to replace the expensive printheads and find out that it isn't or doesn't fix the problem.

thanks

Paul

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Bert (4/1/08 2:26 PM) reply + / -
If you are trying to clean the print nozzles with isopropyl alcohol, it does not have enough water content to do the job. Its okay for the electrical contacts but not the nozzles. Soak the print nozzles on each printhead in near boiling water. Us a shallow container containing 1/4" of water.

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem--now fixed by pstone47 (4/2/08 1:57 PM) reply + / -
I was able to fix the bad printhead problem.

I checked around and found a solution that someone had posted about how to clean the printheads for my offficejet d145. They suggested using Windex or a product with similar ingrediants.

I took a paper towel and folded it over so it was four layers thick.

Then soaked the paper towel in the Windex.

Then took the prinheads from the printer and set them each (jethead down) onto the saturated paper towel.

Then pressed the bottom of the Printhead into the towel.

I added more Windex and periodically pressed the heads into the soggy towel.

I had to repeat a couple of times and the second time let them sit overnight.

In the morning I cleaned them off with some rubbing alcohol and put them back into the printer.

They now work just fine.

Below is the explaination I got online.

THE SCIENCE BEHIND WHY THIS WORKS. WINDEX IS 90%+ WATER A MOSTLY THE REST AMMONIUM. INKJETS USE TINY HEAT ELEMENTS TO "SPRAY" INK ON THE PAGE. IF THEY HAVE DRIED INK UP IN THE ELEMENT, OR THE PIPE TO THE NOZZEL, ALL THE CLEAN CYCLES IN THE WORLD WON'T WORK (TRUST ME, I TRIED). THE WINDEX, WORKS IN REVERSE, THE WATER/AMMONIA SOLUTION WORKS BACKWARDS UP THE PIPE, VIA THE NOZZLE INTO THE HEATER AND HEAD ITSELF.

Good luck to any who have the bad printhead message.

PS

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Anonymous (4/2/08 3:25 PM) reply + / -
Bert's solution is better, faster and cheaper. It's the method we've used in our shop for years. We found that the 1 1/2 inch caps for mailing tubes are just the right size for HP cartridge heads. We have an instant hot water dispenser for tea/coffee/soup. Fill up a cap, stick the head in, wait 10 seconds and repeat 2 or 3 times.
We do have a Windex sprayer that we use to clean ink off of the plastic case and interior surfaces.

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by pstone47 (4/2/08 11:09 PM) reply + / -
I am going to have to agree with you. Although the Windex fixed some of the problem--the hot water method is quicker and seems to work well.

thanks

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by tokiti (7/13/08 9:13 PM) reply + / -

I have a hp officejet d145 too and I tried the windex method and it didn't work. Furthermore, as soon as I replaced the one that had an error with a new one, the other printheads started to go bad as well. Did this happen to anyone?

Hot water method?
What nozzle are you talking about on the printhead?

Becoming a hater instead of a lover of hp!

Very frustrated...

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by tracker54 (8/7/08 4:51 PM) reply + / -
Are you using after market ink cartridges. Some cartridges have you disable the ink status and if you run out it causes the printheads to go bad.

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by rbarneso (2/23/09 7:38 AM) reply + / -
Hot water method worked like a charm !!

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Anonymous (3/14/09 2:39 PM) reply + / -
Wow. The hot water method worked fantastic! All 3 color printheads came back immediately

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Dr. Ken (3/26/09 10:22 AM) reply + / -
Windex made the office smell nice but otherwise was a complete bust, 5 minutes of hot water and the printer was back at work getting me back into hot water.....

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Capt. Steve (7/23/09 12:40 PM) reply + / -
Just did the hot water fix. Worked great. Thanks all.

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by dodgejci (8/1/09 7:11 PM) reply + / -
I was about to buy a new printhead before I found this website, and I am so glad to have found you.
I tried the boiling water method, and it worked perfectly. Thank you so much for saving my money!!

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by ShosMeister (9/25/09 5:36 AM) reply + / -
I tried this but it didn't seem to work. I soaked it from the bottom (where the ink comes out not where the small screen is). Is that right? I even let it sit in the water for about 10 minutes and still doesn't print. Status report shows they were replaced 3 years ago so is it maybe time to replace them or did I do this wrong?

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Bert (9/25/09 5:18 PM) reply + / -
Soak the print nozzle area in near boiling water. If that doesn't solve the problem replacing the printheads is your only option. Be ready to pay $39 each. If you are a risk taker you can get reconditioned heads for considerably less money on Ebay.

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by ShosMeister (9/28/09 4:34 AM) reply + / -
Tried soaking again and still no-go although it appears the print head is clean as I'm getting a good flow of ink out when I'm cleaning/soaking it.

Oh well. Guess I'll replace them and probably do all 4 while I'm at it since the printer thinks two of the four are bad.

Thanks for this thread though!!!

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by mecagora (10/9/09 12:49 PM) reply + / -
I would love to be able to sing the praises of the hot water method if only I knew which part of the print head to soak.

Sincerely,

chagrined

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Bert (10/9/09 11:21 PM) reply + / -
Soak the print nozzle area, i.e. the tiny orifices that apply ink to the page.

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by ShosMeister (10/13/09 3:11 AM) reply + / -
Actually, it's still an issue on my side as well. Soaked, cleaned, soaked, cleaned and finally decided maybe it's time to replace them. Received them and replaced the two that were indicated as "bad". Guess what; still says they are bad!

Now what?!?!?!?

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Bert (10/13/09 1:41 PM) reply + / -
Clean the electrical contacts on the heads and carriage with a cotton swab and alcohol.

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Anonymous (10/14/09 2:53 AM) reply + / -
Yes I have tried that Bert :( :( it was hard getting in the printer side with cotton swabs, may be better with QTips but ... will keep trying.

Thanks!!!

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by innovator (10/21/09 11:46 PM) reply + / -
Can U Both Explain This Procedure Through images so easy to Understand

or plz meet me on yahoo on my id

bond19872001@yahoo.com

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by rogerbu (10/31/09 9:28 AM) reply + / -
I have the same printer with the same problem. The hot water method worked great for me. Thank you so much for the help.

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by sidqe (12/1/09 3:07 PM) reply + / -
Hottish water (just off hand heat, say 70C) works just fine. The print head is the 'copper bits' at the base of the unit as you extract it from the printer. I placed 'just' the print heads in water (4 ramokins did the job to balance them). I then fed the cats, so left them for about 10 mins, and then blotted the print heads 'carefully' onto a 4 layer thick piece of kitchen paper.

Make sure sure everything is dried carefully before replacing the print heads in the printer. Worked fine and the old d145 was up and running again. Last time I had this problem I bought the print heads that cost about ú80 - so a bit of patience paid-off.

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Anonymous (3/21/10 11:15 PM) reply + / -
Thank you so much the Hot water trick worked after first try. Let it soak twice for 10 minutes.

The Cyan print head was the only error. So I just soaked that one.

HP won't even talk to me with such an old printer.

If not for you guys. We would of thrown it out.

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by naseem11 (4/2/10 2:52 PM) reply + / -
I had left the printer in a long time use and when I tried to use has become withdrawn paper without printing to do anything with the knowledge that the inkwells new and filled noted that the Inkwell for black is accessible ink remains empty and inkwells other full Varjua who knows a solution to this Alchuklp that did not help me very much

naseem11

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by isleander (5/18/10 10:08 AM) reply + / -
I have a HP d 145 that will not print the red color. I replaced the cartridge and the problem persists. I read about the boiling water cure but do not know how to remove the print heads.

Can someone help?

isleander@gmail.com

Thanks,

Bill

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Testkit (8/24/10 5:14 PM) reply + / -
Bill, when you open the printer and take out the cartridges, below is a handle, in the front, left up to reveal the other printer head compartment. Pull at the little handles of each of the colors, straight up. Follow the hot water method mentioned above. Hope this helps!
Rhonda

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by mjones13 (12/16/10 10:17 AM) reply + / -
Thank you all for the help! I have an Officejet 6500 that would not print. I did all the steps that HP recommends, nothing. Soaked the print head in hot water for about 8 minutes and now it works great! Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Re: HP officejet pro k550 by lilianamtz16@yahoo.c (12/17/10 12:05 AM) reply + / -
I bough this printer at a garage sale you know the economy is bad' tring to save money ,anyways i though i needed a cartrige but i notice they are almost full to my surprice this thing is missing a printhead but hey there so expensive $71.99 to be exact.were can i buy for cheap. please let me know

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by merry christmas (12/17/10 12:28 PM) reply + / -
Where do i buy printerheads? And where can I take the printer for the fix? I cant seem to find any information for this replacement

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by annyk (1/5/11 10:44 AM) reply + / -
Carrot Ink has the best prices.

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by sherlan (3/23/11 1:22 PM) reply + / -
Warm Water worked for me ... hp9110

thanx for the help

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Cheenman (3/27/11 5:52 PM) reply + / -
Hi Folks,

I tried the hot water method worked for a short while i.e. couple of pages and then stops printing the black ink again.

Do I simply need to soak for longer or is it perhaps the drying of the head?

Tried three times but only soak for a minute or so each time or until the water cools to tepid temperature? Read 10 minutes on some of the above replies but the water will be cold within 90 seconds so is it just to draw out the ink. When I am drying off the head with papertowel the ink flows freely.

HP aren't winning a lot of friends with their approach to supporting their products?

Any additional advice would be great.

I have also previous used a Company called "The HP Printhead Only Company" they refurbish print heads but I cannot seem to find them, does anyone have a URL for them?

Cheers
The Cheenman.

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Keppie (4/9/11 1:54 PM) reply + / -
Thanks very much!! The expertise on this forum is outstanding and appreciated!!
Even though this is a d145 thread, I will add that the Hot Water Printhead Soak worked on the first try for my HP L7555 printheads ( L7555 is a Costco special same as L7500 series) . Both of my printheads soaked a little more than 10 minutes in near boiling water then removed and "blotted" dry on a paper towel, reinserted into the printer. The next morning, the printer was powered up and went through many minutes of self adjustment stuff. Finally, during all this, it spit out a printhead alignment copy. Voila!! It looked darn good.
After the printer was finished feeling itself up, I ran a couple of copies off the glass - first was a full color cover of Car Craft which turned out nice on plain inkjet paper. All colors present and accounted for, no blank strips, no missing lines. Next up was a full text page íV the print looked perfect. As a result, this printer is saved from the E-waste pile (for now, at least) and will become my backup printer. I had already purchased an Epson Workforce 630 to replace it.
My pledge to myself earlier in the week was to NEVER (I know! ;-)) buy another HP printer! My pre-L7555 printer was a d145 that became unusable due to some lamp sensor error that shuts the machine down. (also documented on this list but the fix is too complicated for me). This was about the time the extended warranty expired. At that time I called for HP help. As many on this forum have lamented, my turn in HP call center Hell cost me a couple of hours of total frustration andíKno helpíK but I didn't learn my lesson. I bought the L7555. After a couple of days, the ADF jammed beyond my ability to fix. It cost me another two hours of HP call center Hell but I finally screamed loud enough to be heard in America. The supervisor to whom I was reluctantly transferred sent me a HP internal document on how to properly disassemble the ADF, clear the paper, and reassemble. The good news was that after another hour, the jam was cleared and it was running again. And it ran pretty darn reliably until the last several months when it became apparent the black/yellow printhead was going south. The printhead "failure" is well documented on-line (not in the HP FAQ, of course). After the printer essentially stopped printing black, I decided to spend $99 (including shipping) at Amazon for an Epson 630. It was $16 cheaper than two new HP 88 print heads, came *with* new printheads and a set of *full* print cartridges!! â║ Plus, it works like a champ, looks great, prints are great, scans are excellent, etc. After a month of fully wringing the 630 out, I'll put up a review on Amazon.
I plan to stick to my pledge! No more HP printers. Users deserve better customer support.
Check out the Epson line. You might be surprised. (Disclaimer íV I have NO vested interest of any kind in Epson)

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by k2photo (10/12/11 3:59 PM) reply + / -
Hot h20 awesome. pulled out the printer head (not the print cartridges) and soaked it in the hot h20, all kinds of gunk on there came off. unplugged printer, put it back in, works like a charm. thanks for saving me from having to buy a new printer, as stupid HP suggested. "nothing can be done, but I'll sell you a $125 replacement" assmonkeys

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by hp 6500 (5/19/12 3:36 PM) reply + / -
Hot water was brilliant!!! Tried wiping and everything... hot water for a few minutes, and presto...

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Keppie (5/19/12 8:20 PM) reply + / -
Lost my entire post by going to "preview" and back. Now I'm really pissed!

In short. The "hot dip" process was a bust for me, with positive results lasting only for a week. After a couple of weeks, I gave up. Too much of a hassle. The L7555 is in the ReCycle pile. What a waste of natural resources. Shame on HP.

My Epson 630 is a workhorse. No problems to date.

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by tymrkllc (11/26/13 12:26 PM) reply + / -
I have an HP officejet d145 that was given to me, unsure of how long it has been since it was used. I replaced the black and color ink cartridges with brand new ones. I am still getting an error message showing the black ink is low? It will not print anything. Any idea on if I need to get a new printhead? Or is it just junk?

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Shiney (11/28/13 2:33 PM) reply + / -
Hi,

There is a CMOS battery in the left lower entry looks like a large flat watch battery I have removed this in mine.

It allows use of out of date inks.

If you have low ink then perhaps that's another issue but I know once I removed the CMOS battery have not had same issues.

Re: HP photosmart printhead problem by captainmarvel (5/20/14 6:48 PM) reply + / -
So I have a B8550 and I had streaks in the photos and the solution center online said to change the printhead so I did. Had just gotten new ink cartridges and so that should be fine. Today I used it for the first time and no more streaks but the color was way off so I stopped it mid print and since then all I keep getting is "printhead is either missing or damaged. Please replace ink cartridges and printhead." I have done that several times, tried cleaning with distilled water and now the hot water/Windex trick and still no luck. Just spent $100 on these replacements. What now????

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Shiney (5/20/14 8:45 PM) reply + / -
Hi Capt Marvel,

Try powering the unit off take the leads out of the printer then reassemble and power back on. see if this clears the message.

Re: HP officejet d145 problem by Mleonard (8/8/14 6:55 PM) reply + / -
Printer say's to replace ink cartridges, but shows 99 percent for black and 40 percent for color, and I know they are good because had replaced recently with little use. it say's to hit cancel which I do and starts to go to print, then doesn't do anything. Can you help in any way. Did the Hot water thing to print heads also,...

Mleonard

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by shiney (8/11/14 7:31 PM) reply + / -
Hi Mleonard

Try my advice from previous responses do not think it will be the water treatment just teh printer needs to reset itself are your cartridges within date? Hence the CMOS battery treatment or just first power everything off remove all leads and reassemble.

Re: HP officejet d145 printhead problem by Mleonard (9/10/14 1:00 PM) reply + / -
Shiney, thank you for your advise, I removed the battery, unplugged the ribbon at left corner by battery then plugged back in. Printer is still doing same things, says ink is out black and color, (printer shows 99% for black and 40% for color) Printer starts paper feed after hitting enter per instructions on printer, starts to feed more saying copying 1 of 1 but stops there not doing anything more.
Any other advise, getting frustrated with this,....!!

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters