fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP CP1700 Encoder Strip Fell Off completely

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP CP1700 Encoder Strip Fell Off completely by Mike Ballard (2/28/08 4:55 PM) reply + / -
Due to a paper jam, The Paper completely removed the Encoder Strip from the Printer. Luckily it's not damaged.
I Downloaded the service manual and it shows how to remove the encoder strip But only on the Left hand Side, Since the Strip came competely off I haven't a Clue to where the Other Side hooks to, or the Direction of the strip in reference to the printer? The Service manual doesn't show that part. Can anyone help me on the reinstallation of the encoder strip?
Thank you in advance.

Mike Ballard :)

Re: HP CP1700 Encoder Strip Fell Off completely by fishyink (2/28/08 9:52 PM) reply + / -
i dun no much about hp but genarly with inkjet machine the encoder will be hooked onto a fixed hook at one end and onto a arm with a spring on the other end so u can put the encoder strip on, somtime the encoder strip will need to be fed through the printcariage or will sitt in a groove on the print cariage. probally will need to move the cariage unit to the midle thats as much as i can help unless u wanna email me the service manual i can have a look c.

Re: HP CP1700 Encoder Strip Fell Off completely by trigger1937 (2/28/08 10:15 PM) reply + / -
Mike,..

If you have the service manual hopefully it will show you how to get the covers off. Once you have the covers off it should be a very easy job to re-attache the Timing strip. Typically the strip hooks to a fixed metal tab on one end and to some kind of tension spring on the other end. Leave the strip going through the back of the printhead/carriage asm and re-hook it to the fixed tab. Find the spring on the other end and compress it and re-attach the timing strip. While it is loose, you many want to check it for ink spots or lint or just dust. Clean it with a tissue and Isopropyl Alcohol. Be very gentle with it.

While you have the covers off, you might as well clean out the waste ink Service Station. The quick and dirty way is just to keep soaking up the waste ink with paper towels. The correct way is to take out the Service Station and clean it in a garage sink. You Service Manual should show you all of this.

Re: HP CP1700 Encoder Strip Fell Off completely by Mike Ballard (2/29/08 2:25 AM) reply + / -
Thank you, I Tore the printer all apart and reattached it. It works again!!

And Yes I did see that waste ink was a little saturated.
So I cleaned that out.

Mike B:)

Re: HP 670c Encoder Strip Fell Off completely by Mufaddal (8/6/08 6:27 PM) reply + / -
help me now. same problem. where do i fix the strip ?

Re: HP CP1700 Encoder Strip Fell Off completely by Bert (8/6/08 8:04 PM) reply + / -
Download the service manual here. The manual is a three part download. You will need software that can process .rar files.
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/

Re: HP CP1700 Encoder Strip Fell Off completely by MikeBallard (8/7/08 2:47 PM) reply + / -
Hello,

carefully Clean the timing strip with alcohol.

as you look at the front inside of the printer.

find the Large steel rod that the ink delivery head is.

follow this to the left to the end of it. there is a
Thin Shinny bracket protruding out attach on end of the strip
to this, it's a pain, but I did it. Pass the strip THRU the
ink head and push the head to the left.

Follow the steel rod again to the right end. The bracket
that is attached to the end Vertically is the second attach
point for the Timeing strip.

that should do it.
Hope this helps.

Mike B:)

Re: Re: HP CP1700 Encoder Strip Fell Off completely by moe (8/7/08 4:02 PM) reply + / -
Why alcohol???? Do you clean your windows with alcohol? I use window cleaner. Since alcohol has absolutely no effect on water soluble ink, what reason would you have to clean the strip with alcohol? Window cleaner works a lot better. Water works good as well.

Re: HP CP1700 Encoder Strip Fell Off completely by gillycricket (7/27/10 10:05 PM) reply + / -
I got a amazing solution to this problem that worked for me....just sharing with you............"Someone tried for hours to reattach my encoder strip, and finally figured out the way to do it after reading many web postings, and my own trial and error. The key is to use a "dental mirror" that you can pick up at a pharmacy or hardware store for about $5. (Perhaps a small compact mirror may also work.) And you need to focus light back there. (I used a head lamp.) The problem is you just can not see the small slot through which the encoder strip must be threaded from the front of the printer. It sits in back of the ink cartridges. This thin slot "tunnel" goes though a rectangular piece of plastic. You can feel the rectangular piece of plastic in back of the ink cartridges, and looking with the dental mirror you can see how small the slots are on the right and left side, through which the encoder strip must be threaded. After "seeing" these small slots using the dental mirror, you then can feel them with the tip of a fingernail, and know exactly what you are aiming for as you then feed the encoder strip through. (It doesn't make any difference of you feed the strip from the left or the right, but the down arrow end of the encoder stip must end up on the right when you later attach it to the wire tab.) I fed the strip "blind" after I had formed a strong mental image of exacly what I was trying to do, and now being able to feel the small slot I was aiming for with the tip of a fingernail. (It is tough working in the small space in back of the ink cartridges, and if you have really big hands and fingers it may be impossible. I did not want to use forceps or tweezers because of a fear of damaging the encoder strip.) The encoder strip then must be attached with the down arrow end on the right attaching to a flimsy looking wire on the right side of the printer. The left end of the encoder strip must be attached to a metal tab on the left side of the printer. You will need to hold tension on the encoder strip, and manually push the sliding ink cartridge back and forth out of the way as you attatch both ends. (It's probably a good idea to gently clean the encoder stip of all your fingerprints and any smudged ink with a tissue after you get it back in place. Also be sure to clean the metal bar the ink cartridges slide back and forth on, so you don't get error message 0502.) Be prepared for this to be a very frustating experience! You will be maddened by how many times it will take to thread the encoder strip though the slot, how difficult it will be to catch the end of the encoder strip on the wire and metal tabs, and how you will have to figure out how to hold tension on the encoder strip so one end won't fall off as you attach the other end. But once you use the dental mirror to see where you have to thread the encoder strip, and once you see the wire and metal tabs to which the ends of the encoder strip must be attached, then YOU CAN DO IT! It just takes persistance."

Re: HP CP1700 Encoder Strip Fell Off completely by seokchin (11/24/10 11:55 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for everyone's help!! I did not even have to take anything off the printer. I just hook up the strip to both ends and it works well now. Thank you so much!! Save me from buying another color printer :-)

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters