fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP LaserJet 5L

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP LaserJet 5L by Lisa McMillion (7/25/02 1:08 PM) reply + / -
I just finished installing a HP LaserJet 5L/6L Multiple-Sheet/No Feed Repair Kit. In the video you said something about the paper jam light staying on and that it is probably a sensor. Is there a way to repair this?

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by moe (7/25/02 3:11 PM) reply + / -
Paper jam lights are covered at the end of the video before reassemlby.

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by Anonymous (7/25/02 4:27 PM) reply + / -
How do I take the cover off a HP LaserJet 5L. Two pages went in and did not come out. I can't see where they are.

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by D67 (7/25/02 5:56 PM) reply + / -
Should be a new thread but, the paper is most likely in the fuser. 3 screws in the rear the rear cover can be popped off carefull of the vertical tray extension, 2 screws at the top, small plate on left side towards bottom, snap the two bottom front corners towards you and lift top cover up.

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by E (7/25/02 8:57 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for your help. We got the cover off. Where is the fuser and how do we get to it?

Re: HP LaserJet 5L (paper out light) by Goofus (8/25/02 9:51 AM) reply + / -
This is maddening. I installed the HP LaserJet 5L/6L Multiple-Sheet/No Feed Repair Kit.

Other than the multiple sheet feeding, the printer worked OK before. I did have one of those wrinkly paper jams at the fuser, but I got that out during the repair kit installation.

Everything, so far as I know, went great. Loved having an mpeg on the CD-ROM so I could work near my computer. I double-checked both sensor assemblies before putting it all back together.

But now that top sensor light goes on and stays on. Can't get it to change. I took the cover back off and verified (as far as I could tell) that the two sensors triggers were where they were supposed to be and it looks like all of my wires are seated properly.

The problem I have is that when the printer is powered up, the motor does run a bit and then the yellow light comes on.

The video suggests that means there is something wrong with the registration sensor.

Can you offer any advice?

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by Stui (9/3/02 9:07 PM) reply + / -
MY HP 5L WILL JAM BECAUSE IT WILL PICK UP MORE THAN ONE PAPER AT A TIME. ORDERED MULTIPLE SHEET/NO FEED REPAIR KIT AND WITH THE VIDEO WENT STEP BY STEP TO REPLACE WITH THE NEW KIT. i COULD NOT FIGURE OUT WHICH OF THE OFF-AXIS SURFACE SHOULD FACE THE PAPER AND HOW TO MANAGE THAT MIRACLE TO HAPPEN. pUT BACK ALL THE WIRES RELIGIOUS WHERE THEY OUGHT TO GO. NOW THE TREE INDICATORS ERROR, DATA AND READY ARE FULLING ON.
THEY DO NOT BLINKpRINTER MANUAL PAGE 3-4, SAYS "IF ALL LIGHTS ARE ON STEADILY, THERE IS AN INTERNALPROPBLEM THAT WILL NOT ALLOW PRINTING. ALL THE THREE SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HTEREIN ARE OF NO HELP. THE HP DOES NOT TUERN ON; THE MOTOR DOENOT MOVE. WHAT DO IT DO? i LIKED THE PRINTER QUITE A BIT AND I WOULD LIKE TO GET AN ADVISE TO FIX THE PRINTER. ANY TAKERS? ANY COST?

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by Stuart (9/4/02 12:49 AM) reply + / -
Why dont you dump your 5L and get a HP LaserJet 1200 or 2200.

this model is rubbish.

A technician in australia who works for a tafe college have lots of these printers nothing but trouble sorry but you have to chuck it out and buy a new printer.

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by John (9/17/02 10:41 AM) reply + / -
Funny, I have had mine for over 5 years now serving 3 PCs via a mini printer server on a network. Only problem was multiple feeds recently. I cured this yesterday with the full kit plus the excellent CD video.

Thankyou fixyourownprinter.com!

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by Bill (9/17/02 10:21 PM) reply + / -
I've installed probably 100 sep pad kits with zero returns. Gravity fed printers will inherently have feed problems (1100 for example), but the sep pad kit will fix it for quite along time ( providing you DO NOT USE THE FREE KIT FROM HP). They print great, and pretty fast. We have lots of commercial customers that love these printers. Especially insurance companies for some reason.
Bite the bullet and put in the sep pad kit. When disconnecting wires you should only have to unplug the microswitch, and the plugs (2) to the scanner. There is enough slack in the rest so you can move them aside so you can lay the the black back down to put in the kit.

Cheers

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by Anonymous (10/9/02 7:02 AM) reply+1 + / -
I installed the kit and now it won't work. When it starts up it feeds one sheet, then another sheet about 3/4 of the way then stops, and jams. What's the problem?

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by Roger (10/14/02 7:45 AM) reply + / -
No one really answered the question about the lights. I have a problem with a 5L and I'm trying to find out what it means.

The printer will stop and diaplay all lights lit. When I push the button (supposed to diagnose the problem) the middle light goes out and the others stay on.

Anyone know what that means - where the trouble is at?

Roger

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by moe (10/14/02 8:51 AM) reply + / -
There's a light code page in our troubleshooting section. The fault is a bad fuser assembly.

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by Roger (10/15/02 6:31 AM) reply + / -
Anything in particular with the fuser? or just a complete replacement?

The weird thing is I can print maybe 3-25 pages ok then it'll happen again. It often happens on the first page.

Could this be related or caused by my recent taking apart the printer to install the separation pads and pickup shaft assembly? And if so, any suggestions on where to look for a repair induced problem?

Thanks.

Roger

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by Roger (10/15/02 6:35 AM) reply + / -
Moe - I didn't know this discussion group and the one at HP were related - or you're on both.

You responded to me on the other one stating it may be a controller board. Might I have cause the problem by fixing the feed trouble? do you think this problem is fixable without spending the bucks for a board?

Roger

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by moe (10/27/02 8:25 AM) reply + / -
This board is not related to the HP board. I hang out there and help people that the HP crowd can't. Anyone can give advice on that forum, whether it's right or wrong. We only allow good advice on this one. I kind of doubt that you put the problem in when you replaced the parts. The fuser and pickup rollers don't share anything in common. Like I said, fuser heaters fail permanently when they fail, so that would indicate an electronics problem.

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by Judah (1/16/03 10:12 AM) reply + / -
After installing my separator kit, my printer no longer works. The motor makes a whirring sound for a couple of seconds until the error light comes on. Nothing is moving in the maching, not the pickup roller, nor any of the gears (when the motor is making its noise). Moe suggested I look at the solenoid, as it may have gotten messed up or disconnected during installation. Where would I find the solenoid? I notices others have had a similar experience, what have you done to resolve it?

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by moe (1/16/03 10:26 AM) reply + / -
The solenoid is on the right side adjacent to the white plastic clutch that you pop off. In the video, you're instructed to push down on the metal plate of the solenoid as you're installing the clutch back on.

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by Judah (1/16/03 4:28 PM) reply + / -
Well I've had some progress. I managed to run the printer with the cover off. Most of the gears are turning, however the timing gear (that you address in the video - which interfaces with the black cam) is not turning. This turns freely by hand, however the gear the is supposed to drive it doesn't interlock well, at most it will make it juggle.

Thanks for your help.... we're getting there.

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by Judah (1/16/03 4:30 PM) reply + / -
One other point, the solenoid was connected, that is what was making the clicking noises.

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by erichard (3/17/05 3:40 PM) reply + / -
I just received my new Paper Jam kit for my LaserJet 5L. However the instruction video disk seems to be corrupted and will not work.
I went ahead and installed the new roller and the other parts but I must have missed something because even though the ready light now comes on, the printer still will not feed the media and returns an error light.
Is there some crucial step that I missed?

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by moe (3/17/05 5:41 PM) reply + / -
There are so many ways you could have messed up the install. You should have contacted sales with your problem. They would have either provided another cd or given you an ftp download of the file.

Re: Re: HP LaserJet 5L by erichard (5/17/05 6:34 PM) reply + / -
Thanks to all who tried to walk me through my nightmare. I got a close-up look at a working machine (5-L) and realized that even though I had installed the 'jam' kit correctly, there were a number of parts missing from the printer. It appears that someone had been using it for parts. I have scrapped the project. Again, thanks very much.

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by Printer problems (5/20/05 2:46 PM) reply + / -
I don't know why a printer HP Laserjet 5L is printing a black sheet after every print, is like a separator page but I don't know how cancel it, the problem is only with XP widows could someone help me?

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by rayterry (8/27/07 2:08 PM) reply + / -
I bought a IEEE1284-to-USB cable today to connect HP 5L to a Dell Dimension 8100 USB port. On the printer, the test page printed OK. Installed the CD which came with the cable to install driver. The driver did not obviously install. Nothing would print from computer commands. I tried the Add Printer wizard and was able to print the test page associated with the wizard. But I cannot print a doc from the computer. The print queue shows the pages all lined up ready to go. The default printer is the 5L. Going online for a driver, I found that HP does not have the software. Another site provided the download but I got an error message when trying to run the software that 16 bit software is not compatible with a 32 bit machine.

Re: HP LaserJet 5L by moe (8/27/07 3:05 PM) reply + / -
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/27594#21

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters