fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Brother MFC-440CN: Unable to remove paper tray

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Brother MFC-440CN: Unable to remove paper tray by Raoul Watson (5/6/07 2:57 PM) reply + / -
This is really embarassing especially for a person who build, repair, and program computers for over 20 years.

I have a brother MFC-440CN printer (love it!) but yesterday, I am totally unable to remove the paper tray. I have done it many times in the past but beginning yesterday (after a paper jam), I removed the rear panel to remove the paper. After this is cleared, it printed the last three pages and the tray went empty. At this point the paper tray tray absolutely refuse to budge. I have tugged it, jioggle it, shake it, to no avail. I have not use all my might because I don't want to break the paper tray catch.

Has anyone experience this and can shed some ideas? Thanks in advance and God Bless.

Re: Brother MFC-440CN: Unable to remove paper tray by Anonymous (5/6/07 10:59 PM) reply + / -
Hey I am having the same problem just today. I have pulled on it, opened to back of the printer to check for a jam. The thing won't budge. I don't want to pull too hard because I don't want to damage the thing. Is there some manual release on the printer somewhere to release the paper tray? If someone finds it please tell me. Thank

Re: Brother MFC-440CN: Unable to remove paper tray by Anonymous (8/17/07 9:48 AM) reply+1 + / -
http://www.brother-usa.com

I had the same problem. I went to Brother's website, searched and searched and searched and found this. It worked for me. In essence, remove the black cover from the back of the printer (where you remove your paper jams from). Locate the two grey rollers. Lift them out while pulling gently on the paper tray.

Re: Re: Brother MFC-440CN: Unable to remove paper tray by Anonymous (8/17/07 7:31 PM) reply + / -
Yes indeed I discovered that lifting the rollers allow the tray to move out. But what kind of crappy design is this? Why is the roller all of the sudden "dropping" and preventing the tray to be pulled? If my printer is on an open desk, i don't mind having to open the back --but my printer is inside a small cabinet shelf and it is a pain every time I have to add paper.

Re: Brother MFC-440CN: Unable to remove paper tray by Jerbrew (7/13/09 5:08 PM) reply + / -
Thank you! You helped save my printer. I had the same problem and pulled on that tray with no luck. I was worried I was going to ruin it. I never did like the way it pulled out in the first place. Major design flaw but I love the other features. Thanks again!

Re: Brother MFC-440CN: Unable to remove paper tray by GWagner (9/17/09 11:58 AM) reply + / -
Yes, it is a product defect. I suspect it is lube problem. When the printer is new, it is less noticeable. As the plastic ages, the friction builds and the tray will just not release. Solution is to find the right spot and apply some silicon grease from time to time. I'm working on finding that place.

Re: Brother MFC-440CN: Unable to remove paper tray by Ms. Beth (6/27/10 5:22 PM) reply + / -
The problem isn't actually a lube problem. It's a manual one. There is a white plastic piece in between the two grey rollers. You need to use a long, skinny item to press that white piece up against the black rollers above it, so that the joint in the white piece becomes concave instead of convex. You cannot see the joint in the white piece. You have to use your finger to feel for it- about a 1/2 inch down.

Re: Brother MFC-440CN: Unable to remove paper tray by alli6467 (5/18/11 8:06 PM) reply + / -
I copied this post below as I have the same problem with the brother MFC 7840w. The solution doesn't work for me as I don't have rollers at the back, they are inside the printer but near the front. I would appreciate any help.

post-I have a brother MFC-440CN printer (love it!) but yesterday, I am totally unable to remove the paper tray. I have done it many times in the past but beginning yesterday (after a paper jam), I removed the rear panel to remove the paper. After this is cleared, it printed the last three pages and the tray went empty. At this point the paper tray tray absolutely refuse to budge. I have tugged it, jioggle it, shake it, to no avail. I have not use all my might because I don't want to break the paper tray catch.

answer-The problem isn't actually a lube problem. It's a manual one. There is a white plastic piece in between the two grey rollers. You need to use a long, skinny item to press that white piece up against the black rollers above it, so that the joint in the white piece becomes concave instead of convex. You cannot see the joint in the white piece. You have to use your finger to feel for it- about a 1/2 inch down.

Re: Brother MFC-440CN: Unable to remove paper tray by arjays (12/5/11 4:03 PM) reply + / -
I had this problem too...

As it happens, I had an MFC-440CN which worked fine. A month later, I picked up another one (because "it had a problem).
Sure enough, the problem was the paper tray.

Using the "trick" (mentioned previously), I was able to remove the tray. And, when I put it back in, it "stuck".

Just for grins, I switched the trays between the two printer... I expected the problem to "follow" the tray, or the printer.

Not exactly... both printers now worked.

I switched them back, and the problem "re-appeared".

I re-switched them, and... both printers worked (again).

I left it that way.

It makes no sense, but... what can I say? It worked for me.

"The more I think I know, the less I think I understand..."

Re: Brother MFC-440CN: Unable to remove paper tray by KC76 (edited 5/8/13 7:36 AM) reply + / -
The solution is very simple.

Pull the tray out (lift roller if required)
3" from the back on the right side of the tray is a slight notch. This notch is the rail that lifts the roller up.

Clean and grease this ramp area and your issues should be solved. Use very little grease.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters