fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Jeff B. (4/7/07 6:35 PM) reply+1 + / -
I bought an HP7310 and had to get a replacement because the plastic that holds the silver wire in place (the one on the right side of the cartridge area that zig-zags, then juts out toward the printhead contacts) broke when I was changing a black cartridge. HP replaced my 7310 with a 7410 (which was great until I had to change the black cartridge on it). When changing the cartridge on the 7410, the EXACT SAME Wire broke in the EXACT SAME WAY.

Now you may think I was too rough, but believe me, after the issue with the 7310, I was as careful as I could be with the 7410 and it STILL broke.

So...

1) is this a common problem with the 7310 and 7410?
2) is there any way to get past the 'remove and check cartridge on right' error and get the printer to work?

thx!
Jeff B.
AgentJB007@msn.com

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (edited 9/29/07 9:32 AM) reply+1 + / -
Please read this thread where HP has graciously extended the warranty and sent a new printer as a replacement. http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/50913#1

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by mcprinter (4/8/07 2:31 AM) reply + / -
You need to check if the wire has ripped the printhead contacts.
If it has then your machine is not repairable.

If not, then as Moe says you could use epoxy.
I have fixed one by drilling a small hole and cable tying the wire in place.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Jeff B. (4/8/07 4:28 AM) reply + / -
That silver wire -- is it attached to a sensor that causes the error message, or is the message specifically a result of the printhead contacts not matching up to the contacts on the cartridge?

Also, what specific type and brand of epoxy did u use?

Thx!
Jeff B.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by mcprinter (4/8/07 11:55 AM) reply + / -
The silver wire is just a spring, not a sensor.

I use Araldite rapid in the UK but any two part epoxy should be OK.
Make sure you read the safety instructions and don't spill any.
Patience is also required. Put some on and leave it alone for the curing time stated in the instructions!

The drilling and cable tying is instant, cheap and very effective.

If the spring has ripped a hole in the printhead contacts, then you will not be able to fix it.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Jeff B. (4/8/07 4:53 PM) reply + / -
I was able to epoxy the spring successfully, but upon closer inspection, it appears that the printhead contact circuitboard indeed has a rip in it.

I want to thank you for replying. This site and members such as you are extremely valuable.

I will now once again begin the arduous journey of navigating through HP's tech support to get a replacement printer. :-(

Thx!
Jeff b.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Devon (5/30/07 1:02 PM) reply + / -
You are not going to belive this one. We have a similar problem with an Officejet 7410. That silver wire/spring in the black cartridge bay puntured a hole in the flexible PCB-where the contacts are. Go Figure?

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Jeff B. (5/30/07 2:04 PM) reply + / -
Oh, I believe it -- it's a bad design.

There's very little you can do about it, unfortunately, because those printheads are not replaceable.

I would suggest if you are a business, contact HP business center support and let them know what happened. Be nice about it, and ask about all your options that are available to you. The trick is not to get the frontline HP support -- they really don't have the authority to do much about it -- somehow you need to reach higher up (escalate the issue if possible). They're sometimes pretty good about making things right.

Good luck.
Jeff

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Printer Guru (5/30/07 3:30 PM) reply+1 + / -
Had a 7410 in our shop for repair today. Same problem, wire came loose and ripped the circuitry. Troubleshot it by finding this thread. It was a goner anyway because the encoder strip was mangled as well. I think it's a faulty design problem. They could have attached the spring a lot better than it is. This forum has helped a lot of people get an extended warranty repair on their printers. Let HP know that a lot of other people are having the same problem with their faulty design. HP is very aware of the existence of this forum as are other mfgs. They live in fear of everyone ganging up on them in a class action suit that could cost them millions in recalls. If you have any luck, post back on this thread with the details. This will inspire others to get theirs repaired with the info. you provide.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by NN (6/16/07 2:46 PM) reply + / -
I am having the same problem with the 7410. I called tech support and basically was told there is no way to repair a HP printer and was offer a deal to buy a new one... The tech support person indicated the problem had to be with the contacts gone bad. Only by finding this site was I able to pinpoint my problem. I can see the silver wire has come loose (I presume this is the same problem others have talked about) and can see it should be possible to secure it in some way, but not sure I can tackle epoxying this thing back together myself. Which leaves me where I started - trying to figure out how to get this repaired or replaced rather than buying a new printer and purchasing warranties since there is no option of repair...

I appreciate the guidance I found here to help me pinpoint the problem.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Printer_Guru (6/16/07 3:39 PM) reply + / -
Personally, I think this is a faulty design issue. HP ought to own up to it and replace the printer free. For the money those things cost, they shouldn't be classed as "disposable". Read the posts above yours and make some noise. HP might surprise you and replace it. Be firm, let them know that you know that it is happening to a lot of people and don't let them talk you into a discount on another MFC. If they don't cooperate, ask to speak to someone higher on the food chain.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by NN (6/16/07 3:55 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the advice. Problem is finding the right person. I have talked with two people in India who are reading from a script - and tell me there is no one they can connect me with and I can find HP's contact info on the website.

And of course, by the time I followed all HP's online advice about trouble shooting the problem, I have more than $100 of opened, unused printer cartridges surrounding me!

Thanks.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (6/16/07 5:54 PM) reply + / -
There are a lot of HP threads where people post chat logs, phone numbers, methodology, etc. here's the first one I found doing a site search http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/17222#11

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by mcprinter (6/16/07 5:58 PM) reply + / -
Try contacting the company you bought it from.

It is a very weak design and there have been a lot of failures reported.

You could see if anyone on the HP forum can offer any advice on who to contact.
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (6/25/07 6:03 PM) reply + / -
Yep got the same problem with the same answers from HP, tried to drill a hole & cable wrap the wire piece in place which looked like it would work however it damaged the circuit board and now my printer is worthless!

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (6/25/07 6:15 PM) reply + / -
Bad idea drilling a hole. Epoxy works good. I've fixed a few with it and they haven't come back. Someone really needs to try pushing the issue with HP. It is a bad design and I think they should make good on it. If anyone is going to toss their's out, I need an encoder strip. They just unhook from behind the carriage and come right out. You have to be real careful because it's a metal strip with slots and it is really easy to kink it, rip it etc. Can't get those from HP either. Click on my name to email me. I'll be happy to pay the shipping or provide something off the site as a trade.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Me to... (6/28/07 5:22 PM) reply + / -
Have the same issue, spring broke - ruined the circutboard.
If anyone has V.I.P. email addresses for HP, please post them here. We could start a write-in campaign to recall ALL models with this design.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (6/28/07 7:51 PM) reply + / -
Here's a start http://h30261.www3.hp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=71087&p=irol-govboard

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by BKnight (7/11/07 2:42 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem with my 7310, the spring broke the tiny plastic tab that was supposed to hold it in place, punctured the PCB. The person at customer support, as was mentioned, couldn't help. Sitting in a sweat cube in India must do that. Don't bother contacting the governing board about a recall, either. I did. You'll probably just get a terse GTH call from somebody who wants to talk down to you, like I did. I 've given HP thousands of dollars over the years, but they'll never get another dime out of me.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Yaz (8/29/07 8:39 PM) reply + / -
I am not sure if this thread is still active. My 7310 All-in-one had ditto problem as the last responder "the spring broke the tiny plastic tab that was supposed to hold it in place". I guess my question is why is there not a replacement part from manufacturer or third party after market available to replace the carriage? also people who repaired the spring with epoxy, did they disassemble the carraige or repaired it while still attached to the printer?

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on R by mcprinter (8/30/07 3:55 AM) reply + / -
Yaz,

Make sure that the spring has not gone through the circuitry.
If it has, then there is no point fixing the spring.

I drilled and cable tied mine which worked well but epoxy is also a good method.

It should be possible to epoxy the spring in place without removing the carriage.

Epoxy is quite thick but will run downwards.
Put some epoxy on where the clip is broken, then put a small piece of tape or label over it.

Alternatively you could stand the printer on end but the waste ink may spill.

Leave the epoxy alone for at least as long as it says on the tin!

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on R by Anonymous (8/30/07 9:52 PM) reply + / -
I blew it! Before I read your response, I went ahead and diassembled the 3 piece carriage. There is a tiny hole and a dent on the PCB. After realising that printer was still on, I decided to turn it off. In split second, the plate/PCB(where cariage was attached) slid to rightward and ripped a tiny attachment (ribbon like)part of PCB to the right most part of carriage (that was hanging loose). So I guess this is a dead machine. HP has offered me to trade this for a new C6180 for $224 (market ~ $300). I believe there are no replacement parts available?

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on R by mcprinter (8/31/07 1:57 AM) reply + / -
This is a very common problem due to poor design.

You could try to take it back to where you bought it from and insist that they replace it for free???

I don't know what rights you have when you buy something in the US - I am in the UK.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by mcprinter (8/31/07 1:38 PM) reply + / -
Anon,

There seem to be quite a few people on this site that have had this problem. There are other printers that use the same carriage and have had the same problem.

How much actual maintaining have you done on these?
There are no parts available (from what I can see on Partsurfer), hence the Mickey-Mouse epoxy solution.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (8/31/07 11:04 PM) reply + / -
I do not think there is any hope to return this machine to the seller. I am trying to get a non-functional hp 7310 online auction, hoping will be able to retrieve the carriage and PCB and replace it in my printer. Does anyone know if this is duable?

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on R by sue o (8/31/07 11:55 PM) reply + / -
So what is up with anonymous? I have 4 of these machines in my shop now with the same problem and I am in a small town of less than 100K. Yes, this is indeed a common problem. Is this the same anonymous that gives really poor advise on this board? If so, I hope anonymous stands by their convictions and does us all a favor and doesn't return! Don't let the mouse hit you in the whatever on your way out.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by mcprinter (9/1/07 1:19 AM) reply + / -
Anon (The one with the faulty printer),

I have replaced a carriage on one of these. We had one in with shipping damage, so it got used for parts.

It is a bit awkward to do but not too bad
Take the carriage out of your faulty one, so that you are confident in how to do it. Take some pics as you go.

There are other printers that use the same carriage, including a cheap deskjet.
See a previous reply of mine.
The poster below has the problem with a PSC 1510, so there may be more compatible models.
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/44890#3

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (9/2/07 2:12 AM) reply + / -
Mcprinter, Thx for your info. It appears I am looking good at getting a scrap 7310 on online auction to use for parts. If I am able to retrieve the carriage and PCB, will try to replace in my printer. I believe, I will have to remove the top cover, the scanner part and the cover to access the PCB, whifh is probably attached to the ribbon wire. Any input on this will be appreciated. I tried but there is no diagrams on hp website to help diassemble. Thanks

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by mcprinter (9/2/07 3:19 AM) reply + / -
I have not looked at a 7310 for a few months and cannot remember exactly.

Removing the scanner assembly is the key on most officejets.
I wrote these instructions for a 2610, which maybe the same/similar.
I probably have a 7310 at work somewhere, if these instructions do not work. If you work it out yourself, then post the instructions on here.

You will need a T10 Torx (star) screwdriver, available from Home Depot, Sears and the like.

1. Remove rear door
2. Remove 2 screws from the back panel
3. Lift rear panel and wiggle - May break on one side
4. Unplug 3 x flat cables and 1 x molex. Unscrew flat cable clamp
5. Pull out left side cover so that scanner can be lifted vertical and removed
6. Remove the encoder strip releasing at the non-spring end (right side when viewed from the front)
7. Take your time with this, it is easy to rip the hole
8. Release carriage belt from motor and pulley
9. Remove 3 screws from the carriage shaft/bar and slide the bar out. DO NOT turn the printer upside down after doing this.
The carriage should now be free but still attached by the 2 flat cables
10. Unplug the 2 flat cables

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (9/5/07 5:44 PM) reply + / -
Hello,

I am also having this same problem with a 7310 printer. The printer is just over a year old so it's out of warrenty by about a month. We have only changed the cartridge in this printer once.

I checked the ribbion and it does have a hole in it :(

On the phone now with HP support to see if anything can be done.

I checked the new model printers that are out now and the tabs that hold the spring are much bigger now.

Rudy

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by computerkitten (9/13/07 5:00 PM) reply + / -
My HP 7410 also did the same thing where the tab broke, the spring popped, and it punctured a whole in the circuitry.
Please see my link below showing photos inside the printer of what happened.

Can I buy parts to replace the circuitry in this? I got no where with HP chat support. This happened to my printer at 1 year and 1 month. So frustrating since I spent $450 on this printer!

http://livinginpdx.com/mydeadHP7410/

Thanks,
Computerkitten

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (9/13/07 6:51 PM) reply + / -
This happens all the time, we just need someone to fight hard enough to get HP to give them a replacement printer of equivalent value. I posted a link up above to the powers that be at HP. I've got one in the shop right now with the same problem and the owner is fighting his way up the food chain. Their first offer was a discount on a cheapo replacement which you could get for the same price at the store without the discount. Typical HP reply. Fight on!
If you are successful, please do post here with all the details. If my customer is successful, I'll do likewise.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by computerkitten (9/13/07 7:04 PM) reply + / -
Hello Moe,

Thanks for writing back. I will check out the link above for HP. Its interesting how so many other people are having the same problem too! There SHOULD be a recall... I will continue to fight and will definitely post back if successful.

Thanks,
Computerkitten - Angie

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by computerkitten (9/13/07 10:33 PM) reply + / -
Another comment... has anyone contacted the State Attorney General regarding this issue? The board of directors should be aware of this but ultimately the VP or Director of Customer Service of their corporation should recognize this problem.

Worse comes to worse...if enough people sign a petition and send it into HP and copy one of the news organizations and/or news stations or newspapers this should bring enough public attention to the matter that HP should response on a POOR DESIGN.

Angie

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (9/14/07 9:44 AM) reply + / -
They had a design problem on the 3820 a couple of years ago. Once one person got them to own up to the problem and replace it with a new (better) printer, it quickly got around on this forum and I'd estimate that hundreds if not thousands of people took advantage of it from the info posted on the 3820 threads. All it's going to take is that one person to convince them to give him/her a new replacement MFC. As for the Atty. General, I had a personal connection (daughter worked for CA A.G.) and tried to get them to take on a case that the Missouri Atty. General had already taken on. It involved thousands of defrauded California consumers, much more than in Missouri. You think it would be a slam dunk given I handed them tons of incriminating info, but they couldn't be bothered. It's not that easy to convince them. Good luck.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by computerkitten (edited 9/16/07 7:38 PM) reply + / -
Thats a good point too... over on the itrc.hp.com message board, someone posted to me that I should call this phone number to complain about the 7410...what do some of you think..see what they say below...

"If you haven't already done so, call 650-857-1501 and say to the operator you want to complain to the CEO about a defect. You probably won't get to speak to Mark Hued but the people at the customer complaint center generally have a sympathetic ear. Hope this helps."

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by computerkitten (edited 9/18/07 6:15 PM) reply + / -
Hello Everyone,

I wrote to a company about ordering a replacement part for this printer. They quoted me an entire carriage assembly. We ONLY need the part that has the electronic flex circuit as that is what has a hole punctured through it. Can we order only that?
Any of you know?

Again here are pictures of the puncture from the spring:

http://livinginpdx.com/mydeadHP7410/

Angie

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (9/18/07 6:12 PM) reply + / -
So you buy this extremely overpriced used part from everprint. If you're lucky, it will break within the 90 day guarantee period, then hope they'll actually replace it. What will most likely happen is it will fail after 91 days and then you're out $160 + shipping and a lot of labor to replace it. Did you really have to advertise everprint that much? I'll probably have to delete it. I hate seeing anyone ripped off so badly. Every once in awhile, we'll check a price on everprint and laugh at the extra zero they tack on. We've always wondered how they find enough suckers to stay in business.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by computerkitten (9/18/07 6:17 PM) reply + / -
Okay I did remove that "name" of company... And you are correct about the $160 as I just don't think its worth it when I see a new one of these printers for $300...and not that I would ever buy an HP again. I think I will continue on with customer service and see how far I get with escalating. I thought someone else here may be calling that phone number too?

Thanks
Angie

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by computerkitten (9/18/07 6:22 PM) reply + / -
Oh I see above where someone different named 'that company' in this message thread.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on R by ccpanel (10/18/07 12:31 AM) reply + / -
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/50913#1
where i am documenting my success at getting a free replacement printer that was purchased 2/06 and has the failed tab that loosed the spring that punched the hole that killed my HP.
http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc6480ccopyvj9.jpg
check back in a day or two where i post teh phone number(toll free) and the name and direct line of the guy at HP who is getting me my new printer-no credit card required.
FEDEX overnight.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by computerkitten (10/18/07 8:59 AM) reply + / -
I got a free printer too....! It took a lot of work...I had to get past technical support.

Thanks for writing though and sharing all your contact information as others may be having problems getting resolution too.

Computerkitten

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by NineEyes (11/30/07 10:22 AM) reply + / -
My 7310 broke in the same way after my first black ink change! After reading this thread I was pretty discouraged, especially given I had sent my receipt to my corporate office which is as good as flushing it down the toilet. On a whim, I went to HP's chat support (top link here: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html) and in no time they were committing to sending me a collateralized replacement. I have yet to receive my follow-up phone call, but I'll let y'all know how it goes and what I get. Here's the chat (I've changed my personal info):

----BEGIN CHAT SESSION-------
Timothy: Hello Melvin.
Timothy: Welcome to HP Total Care for All-in-One products. My name is Timothy, how may I assist you today?
Melvin Stanley: Hi, my Officejet 7310 broke today. The wire spring in the black ink slot came loose and damaged the circuit board. I purchased this in the Spring but I have no receipt (I sent it to my accounting department). I was looking for a repair center close to me.
Melvin Stanley: Or, if you have other advice, I'll take it.
Timothy: I will be glad in assisting you in this regard.
Timothy: To update our records, could you give me the serial number of your HP All-in-one printer?
Melvin Stanley: To be more correct, the ribbon cable to the pins that touch the black cartridge is damaged. Sure, let me look.
Melvin Stanley: There is a bar code on the back with MYxxxxxxxKW on it. Is this the S/N?
Timothy: Thank you for the information.
Timothy: As you are a loyal customer to HP , I would be glad to replace the Printer free of cost if the Printer is covered under warranty.
Melvin Stanley: That'd be fantastic. Let me know what to do.
Timothy: The issue you are experiencing indicates a possible equipment Hardware failure.
Timothy: I would be happy to process the request for a replacement All-in-one for free of cost. However, the all-in-one is a collateral item, that is, you would be required to ship the defective all-in-one printer on receipt of the replacement. Hence, you would be required to provide us the credit card information as security. Please do not provide your credit card number when replying to this chat session.
Timothy: Is that okay with you?
Melvin Stanley: Yes.
Timothy: Alright.
Timothy: Please provide us with the convenient date (2 dates) and time to call you for taking the credit card information.
Melvin Stanley: Other than now? Anytime in the next hour. Then between 2PM and 5PM CT today.
Melvin Stanley: xxx-xxx-xxxx is my cell phone
Timothy: Provide me the complete shipping address and the phone number with the area code.

Shipping Information:

* Name:

* Organization:

* Mailing Address (No P.O. Boxes):

* Apartment/Building/Mailstop:

* City:

* State:

* Zip/Postal Code:

* Home Phone Number (including area code):

* Office Phone Number (including area code):

* Date and time to call:

* Alternate date and time to call:
Melvin Stanley: Melvin Stanley
Melvin Stanley: 555 Main Street
Melvin Stanley: Feelgood, IL 90210
Melvin Stanley: Home: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Melvin Stanley: Office: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Melvin Stanley: Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Melvin Stanley: Call during CT biz hours. Preferably my cell number (that way I won't miss the call)
Timothy: Thank you for the information.
Timothy: Is there anything else I can answer you with today?

Melvin Stanley: When can I expect a call? And is there a confirmation number associated with this chat?

Timothy: You are welcome, anytime !
Timothy: If you need further assistance, please contact us again at: http://www.hp.com/support/chat. Chat support is available 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.
Timothy: Thank you for contacting HP Total Care Real-Time chat support.
Timothy: Good bye .

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by NineEyes (11/30/07 12:49 PM) reply + / -
I just received my phone call from HP for my credit card. I was given two options:

1. They'd ship my replacement for free in 7-10 business days.
2. They'd ship my replacement "next day" for $30.

I chose option #2 at which time I was informed that I could get it free if I purchase an extended warranty for $70-something which I declined.

I asked what I would receive. Apparently it will be another 7310. I hope this problem has been addressed with my replacement. I guess the good news is that I don't have to install any new software.

I'll report back when I've unpacked the replacement (probably Wednesday).

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by NineEyes (12/6/07 11:07 AM) reply + / -
A replacement Officejet 7310 main body arrived the next day (Monday). I unpacked it today (Thursday) and added pieces from my old printer to make it complete. I tested it and it works fine. I boxed up the old body and sent it back using the included Fedex shipping label. Easy as pie.

I can't tell if the replacement body is a refurb. It looks new. Parts of the carriage appear different (the conductor ribbon and perhaps the wire springs). Hopefully this won't happen to me again.

I'm a happy camper. If this fix hold up, I'll continue shopping printers with a bias for HP (what I have, what I know).

Good luck to others with this problem.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Briand 1 (edited 12/21/07 10:18 AM) reply + / -
I dont have a broken spring yet. I am getting a "remove and check color cartridge" on my hp 7410xi all in one. I put a folded piece of paper in the slot on the right side of the color cartridge and it is working now. Do you think its a contact issue that a new cartridge will fix? I though I might buy a new one and try it. By the way I did call HP and found the service and resolution to be extremely poor. If the new cartridge doesnt work better I think I will try the tactic you have listed. Any input is appreciated as this is a slightly different issue but I believe still had to do with the spring. They told me to clean the contacts on the printer and cartridge that didnt work and I still need the "paper wedge".

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Briand 1 (12/21/07 2:14 PM) reply + / -
UPDATE. They called me and said they would send me a refurbished printer and a free extended warrantee. If they follow through I will be very happy. I will keep you posted. Theres got to be something to fact the right people are authorized to do this. I thought I was on my own when I talked to the Indian HP Help People the first time.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by rcrown (1/14/08 11:08 AM) reply + / -
I've had my 7410 for 10 months. Over the weekend I fell victim to the plastic tab/spring/holes-in-the-circuitry debacle. I decided to be a good boy and follow proper channels. I was on the phone for 1.5 hours with two people from India. I spent most of that time on hold...probably 10 separate "hold" sessions.

I had to get out my Type A personality only briefly when I demanded to talk to a supervisor.

Apparently, I'm getting a new 7410 in 2 days, which I don't have a problem with. The first thing I'll do, though, is put a little dab of epoxy here and there around the infamous spring.

Thanks to everyone for the posts, and I hope mine gives others hope. The number I called was 800-474-6836.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (1/14/08 12:02 PM) reply + / -
You went about it the wrong way. Most people typically spend 15 minutes on the phone using the info on the other thread http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/50913#1
I did post that info at the top of this thread, but I guess you didn't see it.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Working Mom (1/28/08 7:45 PM) reply + / -
I just wanted to thank you all for the information on this site.
I've had my 7310 for over a year and had no complaints/problems, until the little plastic tab on the right side (black ink) broke off. After speaking to HP, I was told that I needed to contact a reseller to purchase a new carriage (one of whom I contacted quoted me $150). I then came across your website and thought, "hmmm, maybe I can fix it myself....". After reading many posts, I found one that suggested calling a Case Manager, after haggling with Technical Service. I decided to skip the middle-man (Tech Service) and try going straight to the top. Within about 5 minutes, a very nice lady acknowledged the printer problem, asked where I had gotten the telephone number and offered to send me a replacement printer, no charge (by the way, my warranty had already expired). She did state that next time, I would have to go though Technical Support first (better to ask for forgiveness than permission......) I received the replacement printer the next day, unfortunately, IT had a problem as well. I called them back, they apologized and sent me a replacement printer the following day---it works just fine.
Thanks to your site, I have a working printer and all it cost me was about 10 minutes of my time, plus about 10 minutes more to re-pack and ship the damaged printers (no cost). This is indeed a very helpful website!

For those of you who are experiencing the same problem, the number I called was (877) 917-4380 Ext. 95. Good Luck!!

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by daddylump (2/13/08 2:58 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the info on this site. My 7310 has been doing the same thing and I have been trying to find the part to replace it. After finding this thread, I called HP and got right through to the right person. Without hesitation, they are sending me a refurbished replacement at no charge. They did ask me for my serial number which starts with MY for Malaysia. Apparently the problem was with printers out of that factory. Thanks again.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by fasteddy27 (3/12/08 8:02 AM) reply + / -
thank you for this site,

i did the research with this site and spent about 5 minutes on the phone with a very sweet lady named Robin in case managers area.

she is sending me a new L7780 printer free of cost with return shipping information.

i did also send emails to corporate, the chat line and emails to the Hp total care team prior to this getting resolved.
but persistance pays off.

they know its bad and they are working to take care of people.

you just have to get to the top of the food chain to get it resolved

thanks for all the help

use the information in this link and you should be using a printer again soon.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by cindikenn (3/15/08 12:21 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem with my black cartridge -- the plastic tab holding the little metal paper-clip shaped piece broke and the black cartridge would not stay in place. I'd already sent 3 machines back (in the last 2 years), so I wasn't happy. I called technical support was also told that HP "doesn't do service" and "doesn't do repairs" but that I could "upgrade" (for $300!!) if I chose.

After reading the comments on this site, I called HP Tech Support again. This time I was told that since this cartridge break is a "known issue," they'd be happy to replace the machine at no charge (although I did pay $10 to get the replacement machine sent within 3-5 business days rather than 2 weeks).

Tech support said they've "fixed the problem" on the model and will send a machine without the issue.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (3/15/08 1:34 PM) reply + / -
They tell you 2 weeks, but in reality you will get it in 1 or 2 days. There are several mentions of that in another thread, here is one of them http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/50913#11
Do not pay the $10!

Re: Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartri by gotoguy388 (3/21/08 9:01 PM) reply + / -
I encountered the same problem with an HP 7310 with a broken spring and a punctured ribbon in the color cartridge channel. I read through this web site and found your description and solution to be absolutely, incredibly helpful. I logged on to the HP site, got an on-line HP tech consultant and at one point simply pasted in some of your chat session. That was all the convincing I needed to do. They are sending me a new print. Many, many thanks.

Brad

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (5/8/08 11:21 AM) reply + / -
well my wire popped off and stabbed the ribon cable and now HP refused to service it! because i didnt buy a service agreement and they also decided not to make any spare parts for it either. i have been told to throw away my 500.00$ and might as well through away the 180 dollars worth of spare ink cartages too and buy a new HP product! i am broke, so much for that idea and i highly doubt i will ever buy another HP product

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge by moe (5/8/08 11:33 AM) reply + / -
Forgive us for not feeling sorry for you, not because you are going to lose all that money, but because you're not smart enough to read the whole thread.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on R by Anonymous (5/8/08 6:16 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem, and have read the entire thread. My printer is quite old...but hopefully i will be able to get a replacement. my question is, can it still print? i mean, i printed one or two sheets, with a brand new black and color cartridge, but i wanted to know if it is printing black with the black cartridge, or from the color. I read somewhere that if the black is not working (that is the stall where the spring popped and punctured the electronics assembly in the back of the unit)..of course, as a college student, i didnt keep my reciept...sigh. but hopefully it will still print with the black cartridge. i have finals to print stuff for..lol.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (5/8/08 8:08 PM) reply + / -
If it's punctured, it won't work at all. How hard is it to take the cartridges out and look at it. It would seem easier than reading the whole thread and posting your question.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by dyoungvt (5/24/08 6:07 PM) reply + / -
You guys all rock! I just got done chatting with tech support and I have a replacement printer coming in 5-7 days. THANK YOU!

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on R by Anonymous (6/11/08 4:40 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for all your posts, they provided great info. I was out of warranty by 5 months and I too had a puncture in one of the ribbons behind the color cartridge caused by the spring. I spent about an hour on the phone (ugh) and got them to send me a new 7310 for a fee of $20 s/h to cover them shipping the new one to me and the old one back. The front-line support had me do the usual unplug, plug in, put new cartridge in, take new one out, press this, pull that, pat head and rub stomach, but after demanding to speak with someone else, got a case manager on the phone. Case manager kept saying you have to pay to upgrade, nothing we can do, I had to be more forceful with him and after asking for someone else about 10 times, he puts me on hold and comes back to say they will replace it.

Due to my limited color printing, I only had to replace the black up until now. The case manager had the nerve to tell me the reason the spring came loose was because the same color print cartridge was in there since I bought it. I told him that was insane, he kept trying to persuade me otherwise saying that the cartridges need to be replaced more often.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (6/11/08 5:36 PM) reply + / -
Too bad you posted anonymous. I'm curious how the ribbon got punctured if you never removed the color cartridge. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to duplicate what causes the spring to come loose. I've tried to break it on purpose, but haven't been successful. Here you never removed the cartridge and it broke. Strange. If by chance you read this, please email me by clicking on my name and clarify exactly how it happened. I'm the forum moderator, don't work for HP.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on R by Anonymous (6/11/08 5:45 PM) reply + / -
I am the one who posted above anonymous comment and don't really want to register. I had the same color cartridge that came in the printer until a few days ago when it needed replacing. I replaced it and in the process I guess the spring came loose and punctured the ribbon. It kept telling me to check the color cartridge. Hope this helps.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (6/11/08 6:22 PM) reply + / -
I guess the tab holding the springs must be defective in some of the printers. You'll notice the tabs on the replacement are beefed up. The experiments I tried were on one of the weaker tabs. I slammed the cartridges in, put them in halfway and tried to put the latch down, put them in backwards. Everything I could think of and the spring refused to break. I therefore had to come up with the theory that it was manufacturing defects. The case manager is full of it. That is the most ridiculous reason for the spring to break that I ever heard. You would think that the more times you did change the cartridge, the more the chance that the spring would break. Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy your new printer.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Adjuster (6/18/08 9:15 AM) reply + / -
Here's a new wrinkle. My spring broke off yesterday when changing the black cartridge for the first time (this is a low volume unit used by a part-time clerical person). My unit is about 37 days out of warranty. The repair shop I called clued me in to this thread.

After a rather fruitless and insulting session of Tech-Support Live-Chat this morning, I called 800-474-6836, and played 20 questions with the robot attendant. Finally got a real person, who said no problem, they know all about it. He took down all of my info, and put me on hold, telling me that he would be back on in a minute to give me a ticket number. Oh, and he tried to sell me more ink!

About five minutes later, he came back on and said that my unit was not one of the series that they were agreeing to do anything about. Based on the serial number of the unit, mine was manufactured after the problem was “fixed”. I would not accept that resolution, and got bumped up to “the next level”...

…Where I was told the same thing; PLUS that since this was the “improved” model, it was obviously my fault in that I either used a non-HP cartridge, or else did not install the cartridge properly. Explaining that I only use genuine HP cartridges, and that I own an Inkjet 620, a 7200 series all-in-one, an Officejet 6210, and three Officejet 6310’s in addition to the 7410; and thus know how to install a friggin’ inkjet cartridge cut no ice. After a rather testy exchange about the DTPA in Texas and what 12 cowboys on a jury would do to a company headquartered in California, my complaint got elevated, with a promise of a call-back within 1-2 business days. I wasn't holding my breath.

Imagine my surprise when I got a call about an hour ago from my “case manager”. He was surprised that the supervisor that I spoke to gave me such a hard time. He admitted that while the serial number indicated a date range that should mean that my unit was the new and improved version, he offered without my even mentioning it that production lines being what they are, it is entirely possible that my unit was not an “improved” model; and said that my description made it obvious that it wasn’t. Again, without me even asking, he told me that a replacement unit would be shipped today, overnight, via FedEx. A pre-paid return label would be included. Please send back just the main body (no cables, etc.). He did not even ask me to guarantee anything with a credit card.

I’m not sure if it was the fact that I have so many HP products registered with them (two PC’s, three laptops, the 600-series printer and five all-in-ones), or the DTPA threat, but the lesson here is perseverance.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Adjuster (6/18/08 3:29 PM) reply + / -
Just in case it helps anyone, the case manager's phone number is 877-917-4380, ext. 95. His name is John Burshew.

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge by playya80 (6/19/08 12:31 PM) reply + / -
I cant believe these guys are getting me with the same thing as you however will not replace my printer 7410

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Tejaskid (edited 6/26/08 12:01 PM) reply + / -
HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by NineEyes (12/6/07 11:07 AM)

Thanks my friend, I followed your posts and did the same thing with HP's online chat. It almost went word for word them same as your experience. Anyway to get to the point, I received my replacement HP 7310 by fedex today. Not a penny out of my pocket.

Thanks

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by bsbeals (7/16/08 3:10 PM) reply + / -
Same starting S/N as Adjuster....different case manager. Told me my unit was not part of the affected units and that it must either be a coincidence or I was lying about how much I used it (died with first cartridge replacement 15 months after purchase). In either case, I could buy an upgrade model (7780) for $180. Called to talk to another case manager and was told I could only deal with my case manager, and that there was no escalation point. Period.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by tejaskid (7/16/08 6:37 PM) reply + / -
Hey everyone, pay attention!

Read and duplicate the actions in NineEyes post above. No calling involved, online chat and I got a replacement with no hassles.

Thanks

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by bsbeals (7/16/08 10:42 PM) reply + / -
Just a couple of comments from a fellow "x-bias spring and carriage chute" problem sufferer. First, HP is only too aware of the situation and has quietly began granting extended warranty coverage on certain serial number ranges of these products (see the fixyourownprinter links above). Second, the HP case managers who ultimately sign off on most of these replacements are unhappy with the spreading of information via the internet and some (such as mine; his name is John Davies) believe that many people are using the x-bias spring problem as an excuse to get a new printer regardless of the actual failure....and they're getting less and less happy to authorize replacements. Third, if your serial # is not within the range provided by HP engineering to tech support as the affected products, you're mostly out of luck (with a few rare exceptions). Per the above-mentioned link...."The 3rd & 4th digits have to be 55 thru 59 or 61 thru 69 or 5A, 5B, 5C or 6A example S/N= MY559J8022 or MY6A9J8022".

Good luck to all.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (8/7/08 8:35 PM) reply + / -
HP 7410xi is a lawyers prayer. I've cut my fingers thrice trying to load cartridges into this design nightmare. Sadly, the software glitches with Windows Vista has also made the HP product more worthy of a sledgehammer than a pat on the head.

Except for those two complaints it's a great product, but who needs to spend hours on worthless tech chats and phone calls to handle what most companies would've caught on the prototype the first go-around.

Anyone know a competitor who'd like to see what a sledghammer does to HP products that harm their owners! :)

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on R by thedocfox (8/19/08 10:42 AM) reply + / -
Hi Folkds..

Adding to this..My boss (I work in IT, Assistant manager) had the exact same problem. I called up the Case Manager number (posted previously) and complained that it was a known manufacturing defect. The lady who answered (didn't get name) transfered me to tech support. I talked to Syrus (like the guy from Con-Air). Gave him the unit serial # and he said it was out of warranty. It is. I told him it was a known manufacturing defect and not a warranty issue. He said hold on while he checks his info. He came back about 4 minutes later and said we're shipping you a refurbished unit. The whole call took about 10 minutes.
They ARE aware of it, they WILL replace it (with a refurbished unit). You have to send yours back, but that's it. Standard ground shipping is 5-7 days. 1 day air is 37$ and 2 day express is 27$.
If you have any questions, or want a copy of the speil I used, go ahead and email me at either thedocfox@gmail.com or directly at work at dustinh@postalproducts.com.

Thanks
Dustin

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by MFerrier (9/24/08 5:43 PM) reply + / -
After multiple color cartridges and a continuing error message, I finally got on the phone to customer support (I anticipated as much fun as a root canal). My first call to gather my serial number sent me on hold for 5 or so minutes on a route to tech support when I was promptly disconnected.

I called back with my service complaint number and went directly to the business line. Clearly my serial number matched those in bsbeals post above and I indicated that I was online looking at the forums as we spoke and what I was experiencing was similar to other folks.

Sure enough, when I compared the springs on the two cartridges, the color cartridge spring had slipped the tab. Even jiggering it back on again and replacing the cartridge didn't help. Then I noticed a slight puncture in the lower right part of the circuitry board. Crap!

Don't know when THAT happened...I'd never fiddled with the spring before.

But tech support had already matched my serial numbers and was offering me a replacement L7680 with a one-year warranty...shipped free of charge with collateral (to make sure my defective unit gets back to them).

After six cartridge replacements and still no go, I'm glad I finally found this forum. Great advice and not as painful on tech support as I thought it might be.

Thanks folks! I'll update you if there are any other complications...no known defects on the L7680 are there...????

HP 7410 OfficeJet Printer Carriage Assembly by shim (9/30/08 4:00 PM) reply + / -
Thank goodness for this message thread. Please follow the instructions as mentioned by others when contacting HP. It helped that I have been a long-term buyer of HP products (notebooks, pc's, and printers). They are sending me a new 7410 as long as I return the old one.

It may have helped that my serial number ran in the same parameters of the ones that have been declared defective for the 7410 I suppose.

I bought my printer in 2005 by the way. It is now September 2008.

By the way, this process took me 15 minutes.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by cepollard (10/10/08 1:30 PM) reply + / -
Thank you folks for this thread. I bypassed the tech support number and called a case manager explaining the problem with the color cartridge slot. They are sending a replacement, refurbished 7410, without question (and it wasn't even under warranty!) My phone call took FIVE minutes! Good luck!

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Canadianguest (11/17/08 7:55 PM) reply + / -
I wonder how long the waranty extent is but I got 90 days after free repair and I doubt they would fix it back again for free if it brakes again. Watch for that little steel part before and everytime you change a cartrigde!

Here how it happened to me after I realized that the EBC was poked. I brought my HP 7310 multifunction at a local jobber repair shop to get me a quote for the repair. That didn't go anywhere. In the mean time I contacted HP for a price for replacement part, and as I was browsing the internet I found this forum. Tech support explained me that my printer was no longer covered by any waranty but kindly offered me a cheapo replacement printer for more that what my 7310 is currently worth on e-bay. After this "cold" conversation, I took the time to read EVERYTHING that was posted on this forum. Since I am based in Canada, I don't believe I could have used any case manager hot line posted here so I had to confront tech support. The conversation with tech support lasted over 90 minutes. I had to read part of what is posted on this forum and explain that many people were taken care of after talking with a case manager. She finaly told me I could be passed over a case manager but she would first have to complete a request and that could take several days before they get back... she puts me on hold and got back to me after several minutes to tell me that as she was filling the claim file a window popped out to tell her about instructions and special authorities she can use to fix this issue right away. I then got a file # to get my printer delivered, fixed, and shipped back at NO COST !!!. It took me 1h30 of phone conversation but I beleive it was worth it. Now I have it back good and running. THank YOU ALL !!

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (11/19/08 8:55 PM) reply + / -
What exactly does that stupid little wire do anyway?

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by HP-Printer-Dave (11/19/08 10:50 PM) reply + / -
That little wire must be that new smart metal because it breaks loose after it knows the 1 year warranty has run out & punctures the ribbon cable rendering your printer dead !!! Isn't that a great plan by the HP engineers so you will have to go buy another HP printer, right!!! All smiles & high fives for all the executives in the board meetings for what a trick they played on all us stupid consumers until ---- OH CRUD --- half the customers got so ticked off they bought another brand printer & the other half started posting the same problems on this forum & HP could see a law suit comming & so they had to start eating crow. Sorry though to all those who's serial #'s are not "in the range" & are out of luck.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on R by Anonymous (12/3/08 8:54 AM) reply + / -
So I called hp for that same problem that everyone has and unfortunately, mine does not qualify for that specific recall because my serial number starts with "my53". But after pushing them and pushing them the case manager decided to have my HP serviced... Ironically the HP Repair Center (which doubles for a recycling facility for USPS, so an and so forth) closest to me is two blocks away from my parents house.

Ohh and get this, I have to pay for my shipping and the such...

So what I am going to do is basically walk in to the service facility and turn it in :)

Ill let you guys know if they repair it or they give me another lemon when it happens...

all i know is that if they do replace it/repair it the next time this piece of crap goes caput! I will buy a different brand.. No more hp!

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by pavlov (12/26/08 12:22 PM) reply + / -
So in a nutshell, what are the potential reasons for this error message (remove and check cartridge on right)? Everything looks intact in mine. Wires, springs, no tears. Could it be the cartridge?

I had my HP cartridges re-filled locally. Could that be the problem?

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by BlueSeaDolfin (1/6/09 11:01 AM) reply + / -
Does anyone have additional info on this issue? I just finished chatting with an HP support rep through the standard IM channel and she states that this defect repair ended 12/31/08. Is anyone having any luck solving this problem (without buying a whole new device)?

Thanks,
BSD

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by htaylor3 (1/12/09 2:32 PM) reply + / -
I have been going through the process of calling and IM channel and because I went to change out my first inks since gettting the 7410 on 1/06/09 and they told me the same story about ending on 12/31/08 so I will try and call a case manager directly tomorrow to see if I can get any further assistance. This is really frustrating.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by BlueSeaDolfin (1/12/09 4:14 PM) reply + / -
Good luck. Interested to hear how it goes. Unfortunately, they talked me into the upgrade to L7780. Now I notice I can get 7410s on Ebay for $50-ish. Might see if I can find a non-functioning one cheap and piece together a working device.

BSD

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (1/12/09 4:26 PM) reply + / -
They probably all have the same problem seeing as they're selling them so cheap on eBay. I've got a couple of good assemblies, but that printer is really difficult to disassemble to replace them.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by lstone (3/8/09 5:57 PM) reply + / -
After reading and finding out that they are no longer replacing the 7310. I tied a piece of fishing line around the wire to hold in place, pluged the cartrige in and it seems to be working sometimes the error comes on but until it blows up it works!

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by htaylor3 (3/9/09 2:31 PM) reply + / -
Well that is good that yours works for the most part with the string trick but if you have the worse case scenerio happen with the spring puncturing the data stip at the back then it won't work at all. That is what has happened to mine.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (3/18/09 10:58 AM) reply + / -
yes I had the exact same problem - it has been a good printer for quite a long time but it's now too expensive to fix so I move on.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Legal101 (4/3/09 10:48 AM) reply + / -
Good news. According to HP, as a result of the "Class Action Suit," the warranties have been extended on the 7310 & 7410 printers again beyond the 12/31/09 date. I spoke to an elevated case manager yesterday (04/02/09) at 1-877-917-4380 Ext. 95 and at first she told me that the warranty period had expired on the above date. But when I called back later, she was already on the other telephone calling me to tell me that the warranties had been extended. Today (04/02/09), I received a remanufactured L7680 with a 90 day warranty. They sent it expedited delivery (overnight) on FEDEX. If you don't yet have a case number, they may send you to tech support first to get one. Just tell tech support to issue you a case number and once you have it, call the above number again and give it to them. The elevated case managers are actually very nice.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Legal101 (4/3/09 10:52 AM) reply + / -
My earlier post had the wrong date that I recived the printer. It was actually 04/03/09.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by coopop (4/11/09 9:55 PM) reply + / -
Is their anyway to fix the 7310 printer problem ANY WAY!!!!!

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (4/11/09 11:09 PM) reply + / -
Does anybody actually bother to read these threads? Come on people, open your eyes and your minds! Free replacement if you'd only bother to read right above where you posted.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by svercek (4/20/09 8:42 AM) reply + / -
According to Karen, my hp case manager, the warranty expired on 12/31/2008 not 2009. Therefore you cannot get a replacement printer any more. She told me they had recently received a memo from corporate reaffirming this. She is not aware of any "class action law suits". I am guessing Legal101 was either talking to a case manager that didn't know or (as implied by the name) knew the right terms to throw around. They offered me a L7680 for $179.00, not much different than online prices. If I had the time I'd rewire the circuit board, but since I don't I'll just have to spring for a new printer (won't be an HP).

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by rstarck (4/23/09 4:21 PM) reply + / -
i just tried getting my oj7310 replaced for free (4/23/09) and got denied by my case manager who works at the canadian office with this number: 1-877 917 4380 x95. Her name was cindy. I mentioned the class action suit and she persistenly said she coud not control what other case managers do for other people. I couldn't believe this. So, Legal101, who was your case manager that successfully overnighted you an L7680? Also what is the link that even mentions this class action suit you say has been started? thanks

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on R by Anonymous (4/23/09 4:56 PM) reply + / -
I did exactly what leagl101 said and I was sent the new replasment printer L7680. It took me a few days talking with people who don't have a clue as to whats going on. And it was sent overnight with a one year warrenty :-) it takes some presitence but if you keep calling you will get it. Good luck.

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on R by rstarck (4/23/09 5:44 PM) reply + / -
anonymous: who was your case manager?

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Legal101 (4/28/09 2:32 PM) reply + / -
My case manager was Amanda. I talked to her at about 9:00 A.M. EST on April 2, 2009. I asked if she had any information about the Class Action Suit that had been brought related to the defects referred to in this blog. She replied that she did not have any such information and that the extended warranty had indeed ended on 12/31/08. I said that I would see them in court and said goodbye and the call ended. A few minutes later, I called back to ask her about the lawsuit again and got another case manager who then transferred me to Amanda. Amanda told me that after our first conversation,she discovered a new "code" that allowed her extend the warranty. She then took the "order" for a remanufactured" L7680 with a 90 day warranty that was overnighted to me on Fedex. I am able to purchase a 2 year extended warranty for about $50. If Anonymous received a new printer with a one year warranty, that's great. The key here is to be persistent. Keep calling everyday until you get someone who will help you get what you want. This is a "known defect" that is non-repairable. HP knows it and they're trying to get by with as few replacements as possible. I was going to file suit if I had to in order to get remedy.

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by rstarck (4/28/09 4:42 PM) reply + / -
Ok so i tried calling back and repeately requested to be transferred to or assigned Amanda as my case manager but got denied repeatedly since my case manager was already assigned as Cindy. Any call backs just get me eventually to the same woman who continually denies my requests. When i brought up my intentions on eventually bringing a suit, the lady immediately offerred me their attorney's fax #. What should my next steps be?

Re: Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (4/29/09 8:24 PM) reply + / -
rstark: Speaking only for my case, I purchased a 7310 with the implied representation from HP that the machine would perform and perform well for a reasonable amount of time. What I did not know nor did HP disclose to me was that there was a "known defect" that sooner or later would render my machine unusable. This defect is non-repairable and is beyond my control. HP tried to make this a "warranty" issue but warranty has nothing to do with it since HP failed to disclose this information when the machine was purchased. Yes, they have known about it for a long time and in the meantime, they have changed their engineering to remedy the problem. I was prepared to file suit in my local court and let HP come and defend itself. But then I read about the Class Action Suit against HP for this problem and that was my last inquiry to the case manager. Usually in a CAS, the settlement is some form of extended warranty so that the company is able to clear out the majority of defective devices in an agreed period of time . All of these companies go through the CAS process from time. Some of them like to get "out in front" of the process and resolve cases here and there. Some people have been able to resolve the problem in one or two telephone calls. In my case, it took over a week of a few calls every other day. In your case, you're already in their system with your case number, so it may take longer. And don't forget, they keep starting and stopping the extended warranty sweepstakes almost on a daily basis. That having been said, I would call Cindy every day and restate your case (known defect, non-repairable product, what do you know about the CAS, etc.) if that's what it takes. I would call and ask for a supervisor and work your way up the chain of command until you find someone who is willing to resolve the problem. The upper leval case managers may tell you they are supervisors and this is the end of the line but don't believe that. If Cindy won't tell you who her supervisor is, then call back and talk to the first case manager you come into contact with and ask them to transfer you to their supervisor. Go online and find out who the heirarchy is and contact them. You purchased their products, they deserve to hear from you. Another idea is to call tech support and start over by getting a new case number and then call the upper level case manager number and then ask for Amanda. If tech gives any problems, ask to speak to their supervisor. Persistence is the key. Keep trying! Good luck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (4/30/09 7:36 AM) reply + / -
You can do all that or just buy a new Cannon that does the same thing for $180 (or cheaper online, I needed the machine now). I suppose you can do it on principle (or out of spite, thats why I bought a Cannon, could have gotten an hp for about the same price).

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by gentlewindwest (5/1/09 12:30 AM) reply + / -
I have a 7310 with the same problem. The x-bias spring in the right chute (black cartridge chute) is dislodged. I know this because I went to HP's support website and did all the troubleshooting recommended in about 3 different links (for 7300 printers). After all that failed to fix my problem, I sent an e-mail to support asking if I could repair this myself or purchase a new chute assembly. What I got back from HP was a garbled message from Sushmita in India who did not respond to my questions, but referred me to HP's support website and the exact same links I had used to troubleshoot the problem on my own - even though I stated in my message to HP I had already done all that. They did give me a case number, but I have had no luck dealing with people in India. They promise to get back to me and they don't. They promise me "coupons" toward a new purchase and they never arrive. They do not resolve the issue(s). I was going to give up until I found this forum. I find it interesting that they know about this problem (obviously) and they do not address direct questions because they know it can't be fixed. That it's a defect in the machine. I will definitely call back now and try to chase this down - because it's the right thing to do - not because I expect any results. My printer is out of warranty, but as was mentioned in this string, this is not a warranty item - it's a defect. A known defect. The reason I will take the trouble to do this is because I have babied this printer. I need a legal size scanner bed, which limits my choices on multifunction printers. I pretty much only use this machine for copying and scanning. I have an HP 6122 that I bought from HP online that is my workhorse duplex printer. That's my main printer. I love it. So, believe it or not, because I have such a small amount of use on this machine, this is the FIRST time, after four years of ownership, that I've needed to replace an ink cartridge! The second I took the old one out - it was all over. I could see the problem, but each time I got the x-bias spring back into position, then inserted the new cartridge, I got the same message. My daughter also had a 7410 that did the same thing. I now have her lower tray, which made my machine even more convenient for me (since I use it for legal sized documents), so I hate to give it up. I appreciate these posts. At least I know it's not worth my time to try and fix the problem, nor is it worth my time or the increase in blood pressure to deal with HP - or, more specifically, someone in India with no authority to make this right. Still, it's too bad. Because I will not buy another HP printer if they don't make it right. I had a problem with Toshiba several years ago when a PDA I purchased new, which was still under warranty, experienced problems and they refused to honor the warranty AND refused to answer my phone calls or e-mails. I haven't bought anything made by Toshiba since, even though they've had some great products and deals since that time. It's just the only way one person can win against corporate irresponsibility. And, it's important to tell everyone you know about it, too. So thanks to everyone in this forum for posting their problem - amazing to me that this many people have had the problem, have taken the time to report it, and have had such a myriad of different results. Like the person above, if HP decides to do the right thing and replace my printer, they will get a gold star and remain on my list of suppliers. If they don't, they can join the folks at Toshiba and have a nice day at the unemployment office when the company lays them off due to lack of sales. Unless, of course, they are in India. Then the best we can hope for is that the US companies who outsource their customer support will WAKE UP and realize what a mistake they're making. Not only do we not get support, we don't even get a little bedside manner to make us feel better. We get ignored. It would be so much easier to do the right thing and send out a recall to all those who have registered their printer with HP with an offer to take the old printer back as a trade-in on the new model with defect fixed. Even if they charged a small fee for that, it'd be worth it. But I'm not going to spend 3 or 4 hundred bucks on another machine that I know to be defective. I think I'll check out that Canon that Anonymous recommends. Thanks everyone. All these posts give me great ammunition for a good argument with HP. Wish me luck.

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (5/1/09 5:49 AM) reply + / -
You're done with tech support. Don't call them again about this problem. Be sure and call 1-877 917 4380 ext 95 to speak to the upper level case managers. Read as many of the above posts that you have time to do before you call. The key here is that they're trying to slow down the class action event by resolving some of the cases that they deem to be less likely to "go away" on their own. Be persistent!

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Canadianguest (5/30/09 9:57 PM) reply + / -
I got my printer fixed in November 2008 (purchased in 2004)
I posted on this blog on 11/17/08. The typical problem with this printer can be fix because they re-sent me the same printer (not a re-built). The reason why I am absolutely sure is because my cat is always sleeping on it. Since a cat is loosing hair, I cover the top part (fax feeding entry) with paper I held with masking tape. When I got it back, there was still masking tape marks on the top cover.

This whole thread should be posted to the relevant senoir executive with a concise legal lettre explaining why you deserve a lifetime warranty printer... For how many years did you own it before it breaks?

If you got yours fixed: dont forget to look for that steel wire everytime you change your cartridge!!!

I hope the cartridges for this printer will be available until 2050!

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by gentlewindwest (5/30/09 11:54 PM) reply + / -
I took the advice of Anonymous above and called the number he posted. HP Canada (also handles US claims) is aware of this forum so they would not allow me to speak to Amanda. They said Amanda made a mistake in interpreting the warranty information. They assigned me to another fellow who was well aware of the x-bias spring problems with the 7310/7410. He was a bit rigid at first, insisting there was no class action suit, and that I had no recourse due to my printer being out of warranty. I did not get upset or argue, I simply stated my case, without getting emotional. After we spoke for a while, he offered me a trade-up deal: a refurbished L7780 (essentially the next generation all-in-one) for $150 (half of the sale price listed on HP's website) - with free shipping. (The printer originally cost $499 and had pretty good reviews, but it has been discontinued - replaced by the 8500.) I accepted his offer. After all, I can't replace a legal size all-in-one for that price in a retail store. And I won't buy things like this online unless it's directly from the manufacturer. The L7780 came with a 1-year warranty. I also purchased an additional 3-year warranty at a discounted price ($72.50). The printer arrived the next day, in perfect condition. If it wasn't new, it certainly hadn't been used very much. It still had all the tape, etc. on it and was clean as a whistle. Only one or two of the cords looked used. The L7780 was a cinch to set up and has been working perfectly since installation. I'm really happy with it. It's better than the 7310.

I felt this was a fair deal since my 7310 printer was out of warranty and was almost 5 years old. It was, nonetheless, in perfect condition because I mostly used it for the scanner and to make copies because, as I mentioned above, I have an HP 6122 that I use for all my everyday printing. I was very satisfied with HP Canada's response to this situation. My case manager was knowledgable and professional. He got to the root of the situation within 7 minutes, offered a fair solution, and we were both happy - after only ONE phone call. I was NOT satisfied with the myriad of people I had corresponded with in India prior to calling Canada, who apparently do not even read what you write in your messages AND only know how to refer you to their website - the same one you just told them you had used to exhaust all remedies they offered.

So far, I am very happy with the performance of the L7780. It's way too big (probably why it didn't sell well) and uses different ink cartridges than the 7310, but it is a superior product to the 7310. Also, I love being wireless. Now I can print from both my desktop and my laptop - and my husband even sends documents to the printer when his CAD printer is busy or when he wants to print duplex.

As far as I'm concerned, HP did right by us. And they should have - we've had several HP printers over the last 20 years and have been good solid customers. We're both professionals, are demanding of our computers and peripherals, and know what we're doing. But make no mistake, had they not been fair with us, I would have bought another printer of another brand, and we both (HP and us) would have suffered needlessly.

I hope your 7310/7410 continues to work well for you, but if you have more problems, call that number above and ask to be assigned to a case manager. Keep cool and state your case factually, not emotionally. But be prepared to give a little, too. If I had been hell bent on getting a free replacement printer, I believe I would be the owner of a new Canon multifunction printer right now. Instead, I met the guy half way - he made a good and fair offer and I accepted it. Like I said, I'm happy. The printer is better. I asked him specifically if it had any known defects, and he told me what to watch for. He also told me to call him directly if I encountered any problems. I thought that was cool. And I will call him if I encounter any of those problems. Nevertheless, I have a warranty that will take me to May of 2013, so I'm not worried.

I'm really glad I found this forum. It was a light at the end of a very dark tunnel. While I spent too much time and effort troubleshooting the problem, at least it led me here and in the end, my situation was resolved to my satisfaction. Good luck to those of you who encounter the x-bias spring problem in the future. Remember, there is hope.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by wala (6/3/09 5:40 PM) reply + / -
Me too. Looks like the nifty spring got sunk thru the wires of the circuit board. Crap. What were they thinking... lets see, "if we make crappy printers, they will buy more"?

Not much good for the environment, this pile of useless plastic and toxins.
HP OfficJet 7310

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by brucew (6/26/09 1:10 PM) reply + / -
Thanks to all for your posts. It's great to have them, as they spare me many hours with the unfailingly polite but powerless HP tech support staff! I ended up getting connected to Susan at x95 for this issue. She repeatedly denied the existence of any extension past 12/31/08, but is having a new black cartridge sent out. Hard to see how that'll help things, but the spring-loaded wire below my "Cartridge on Right" appears normal, so maybe my flavor of this error message is somehow different from the others. So I decided to let the cartridge dance play itself out before pulling the "discovered new code" lever. Meanwhile, my 7410 is completely useless. Will post again with the outcome regardless.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by brucew (6/29/09 2:19 PM) reply + / -
HP 7310 & 7410 Users,
Regarding my 6/26/09 post above: I received a replacement black cartridge from HP free of charge this afternoon. So guess what? Turns out the problem behind this error message was nothing more than a failed black cartridge! After buying a bazillion of these HP cartridges, I didn't think these things ever failed, but this one did. Thrilled to have no need to replace this circa 4/30/06 7410 just yet! HP case manager service at x95 was excellent.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by jeffwh (8/20/09 10:09 AM) reply + / -
I have the 7410xi printer. While replacing the black ink cartridge in Jul-09, received the error message. After reading this string which was extremely helpful, I looked inside and noticed the xbias spring had pierced the flex cable. I contacted HP customer service hoping they would step up and do the right thing and replace my printer which is 2 yrs old. I contacted their customer service and they wanted me to pay $35 just to talk about the issue on the phone so I went to the online chat. I got the same standard trouble shooting procedure, they reported to not know about the problem, and the manager could not do anything to help. After wasting an hour of my time, I filed a complaint with the BBB which can be very helpful in getting someone to contact you to help resolve the issue.

I purchased the printer from Costco, so I also called their corporate customer service number and explained the issue. They told me their new 90 day warranty electronics policy did not apply to printers and that I could take it to one of their locations to return. I went to one of their stores, explained the issues, and they refunded me 100% back. I in turn purchased a Canon printer, from Costco, and so far so good. The quality appears much better, they have US based customer support, and only charge $9.95 fee instead of $35.00 for out of warranty customer service.

After being a loyal customer to HP for 15 years, buying 3 printers, a notebook computer, and boat loads of print cartridges, I will likely NOT purchase an HP product for quite some time, if ever. My Fujitsu notebook is awesome too - I am told they are one of the few companies who still make their own notebooks. Poor customer service and violating the trust of the consumer is a good way to lose customers. Conversely, COSTCO get's it and their customer service I have found to be exceptional. Whenever possible, I will purchase all my electronics products from Costco.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Sparks05 (8/22/09 2:14 AM) reply + / -
If you can believe this is STILL going on...I also have a 7310 with a mislodged xbias spring on the color side. AND I just spent an hour in INDIA talking to a frontline HP tech who said, "so sorry but you'll have to have your printer serviced but it's better to get an upgrade and I can get you one for $$$$$" Seriously! He told me it would cost too much to fix so I should go ahead and buy an "upgrade". Then he made out like he was making me a deal since I had problems but when I looked on the HP site to check the reviews I noticed that the price he was offering what the same one online. This is ridiculous! I mean these people have NERVE!! Talk about predatory capitalism! First they sell us these things that take tons of ink at $30 a pop then when it breaks, tell them not to fix it, just buy something NEW!

It's too late now to escalate this issue but after reading this thread I'll for sure move this up the chain. I also have $130 worth of ink (black and color!) so no way I'm just going to spend another $300 on another worthless printer. I do need the fax for my business but, honestly, I'm thinking about going back to Kinkos!

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by JMVega (11/9/09 8:22 PM) reply + / -
Jeffwh --- I am amazed that Costco took your printer back after 2 years. What type of documentation did they request? I too purchased mine at Costco about 3 years ago. I just read this post and am having the same issue on my 7410.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (11/12/09 8:13 AM) reply + / -
JMVega - It was fairly easy. I called the Costco corporate customer service number which I found online. They said take it to a store, explain the issue (inherant problem with the design) and they could process the return. At the store, they looked up the purchase in their system - good to know the timeframe you purchased to help, and I also told the person at the store, their corp. customer service dept. told me to take it to the store to return. I went during a non-busy time as I figured it might take some time to look up the data and process the return. I went in good spirited and they were happy to help. If they weren't helpful, I figured I would get the store manager's name and complain back through their corp. office but that was not necesary. Key thing I noted from my call with the corp. office is that printers are not part of Costco's limited warranty policy, which I think is like 30 or 90 days and this was much easier than having to deal with HP. If you can, I'd be curious how it turns out for you - I hope their good customer service is consistent.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (1/9/10 11:29 AM) reply + / -
Found this thread after we got error msg. 7310xi purchased spring of 05 and lightly used. Serial number starts with MY but fortunately this was a case of the black cartridge failing. I had refilled it once and had been using printer quite a bit since then. After reviewing this thread and determining that the spring was as it should be, I tried a new HP cartridge and printer immediately went through alignment procedure and into a ready state. Thanks.

Re: Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (1/11/10 6:57 PM) reply-1 + / -
I too was pleasantly surprised with the backing of the products they sell. I was first instructed by their corporate customer service department to bring it to a store after explaining the situation. I brought the printer, power cord, and the paperwork I could find and they looked it up in the system. If you know the time frame or month you purchased, that is helpful too. Receipt even better. I was nice to the personnel at the return desk and they were helpful as well. Based on what I have seen published, it is a known manf. defect and there is substantial documentation-bring some pertinent threads to show them too if needed. This is a legitimate return and not trying to work the system. If you get push back, I would get the customer service persons or managers name and advise them you will call the their corp. customer service as this is unexpected. They were very positive and helpful so no issue. I purposely, letting them know, avoided returning during a busy time of day as it may take some time to look up or maybe get management approval. It was a legitimate return for the most expensive printer I have purchased that worked the least amount of time. The old $200 HP printers would need just a good cleaning once in a while and you were good to go. In case they play hardball, I would certainly be prepared to write or elevate the issue at the corporate level as it does not seem fair those who fall outside the "extended warranty period" do not have the same benefits of those inside the extended warr. period for what appears to be a manf. defect. Perhaps you can post how it turns out to see if they are consistent on their returns - Good Luck!

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by gentlewindwest (1/11/10 7:25 PM) reply + / -
Upon reading these last few entries, it occurs to me that returning the printer to Costco, if that's where it was purchased, is an excellent idea BECAUSE if they get enough of them back, they can assert that once HP identified the defect, they dumped the potentially faulty equipment on Costco, rather than deal with it themselves. Costco thought they were getting a hot deal (and so did those of us who bought the thing for more than a $100 less than market price at the time). Was that fair to Costco? No. Costco has the clout to make them make HP honor their product. Warranties are for wear and tear, not for known defects. I bought my printer at Costco, too, but didn't consider returning it to them because the sale was so far in the past (4 years).

I am happy with the replacement I got from HP, even though I had to pay $150 for it. It's a far superior all-in-one and an upgrade from the 7310. Much faster, more capabilities, and dual paper trays (like the 7410). It produces excellent prints, scans, and copies. All's well that end's well. One paper tray is acting up now, though, but I'm not worried, I bought a 5 year warranty with it for next to nothing.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (2/7/10 8:38 PM) reply + / -
Can the ribbon be fixed? the dent or rip? Isn't it just a wire inside the ribbon?

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (2/7/10 8:50 PM) reply + / -
Good luck with that. It's almost impossible to effect a repair on that ribbon. It takes way more soldering skills and tools than most people possess. I could probably do it if I were motivated enough, but I don't have the right soldering iron. You need a really fine tip and a temperature regulated iron.

Re: HP 7310 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Another One (3/29/10 8:37 AM) reply + / -
I didn't understand what was wrong until reading this thread. Now I see the tab is broke, and indeed, the spring punctured the circuit board. I have already purchased a replacement printer, so my desire is to use this broken 7310 for scanning only, but on a different computer, my laptop. (With my PC, I was able to do this using HP Image Zone 4.0 that came with the printer, even though it wouldn't print.)

Problem One. I can't find the original disks that came with the printer and don't have HP Image Zone on my laptop. HP Support said "Image Zone" is obsolete and my printer is no longer under warranty. I went to www.brothersoft.com and downloaded the free 4.1 version, but after it downloaded and unzipped, I could not figure out how to use it. It dumped a large amount of files in a folder, but no shortcut or program start added. Don't know what to do with them??????

Problem Two. I believe I need the "local" print driver vs. the wireless print driver I have installed. (again would be on my original disks)

Has anyone been successful doing this? Short of finding those darn disks, does anyone know where I could find the driver and image zone download? I've searched for image zone download, but the reviews talked about it actually being something else after they downloaded it.

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (4/20/10 11:34 AM) reply + / -
Had limited success with a circuit writer pen from radio shack for 13 bucks and some scotch tape. Its tenuous but it works. Seems really stupid that a replacement ribbon can't be obtained. Anybody got a list of other models that use the same cartridges? perhaps a swap out could be done with an inexpensive alternative

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Sparks05 (4/20/10 5:27 PM) reply + / -
Not stupid. More like CONSUMER FRAUD. HP knows this problem exists and continues to sell this printer. When I bought it, there were already posts on this site with the XBIAS SPRING complaint. The first one in this chain is from May 2007. I wrote my post in 2009 just after talking to a rep in India who told me he'd sell me a new printer at a great cost...the same one you could get if you went online by yourself. I was able to nurse it along trying to get all my printers ink used up but it's completely died now with 1 1/2 cartridges sill FULL. What a hoax. I'll never ever buy another HP device again. Not anywhere , not anytime.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by .gov employee (4/22/10 1:09 PM) reply + / -
Just tried calling the number provided by "Working Mom" above (1-877-917-4380 Ext. 95) and talked to a CM named Katie.

Unfortunately, it appears that the limited warranty replacements of printers with this issue was only honored until December of 2008. Interestingly enough, one of my coworkers had fixed this printer previously when the black ink arm snapped by epoxying it in place. I have taken the cartridge out, and it appears that the circuit board had been punctured. I am not sure if it was when he fixed the arm a few years ago, of it it has happened since then.

Upon asking what course of action I had, she had said that since it was so far out of warranty, including the limited replacements for the known problem, that I would either have to pay to get the printer fixed, or buy a new printer.

I almost feel as though I'd be better off getitng a new one, just so I don't have to continue to mess around with it/waste the money to get an old printer fixed.

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (4/22/10 1:33 PM) reply + / -
Give it up. Almost everyone I know who has had a 7310 or 7410 has eventually encountered this issue. HP offered me a replacement printer at a reasonable price - $150 for a new L7780 All-In-One with legal size bed and a reasonably priced 5-year warranty ($72). It's much better (faster, brighter, more functions) than the 7410, but also much bigger (too big, really). I was very pleased with it until the paper pick up stopped working. HP sent me a replacement printer overnight and I've had no problems with it since, but that's only been a couple of months.

Still, if you can get HP to give you a discounted price on an L7780 or, if those are no longer available, an 8500 Pro or better, it beats paying retail in a store. Check what's available on their website first so you know what the prices are. I see a lot of people complaining (above) that HP didn't offer them a discount on a new purchase, so you could be wasting your time, but you might make one more call, see how it goes. I thought they treated me fairly since my printer was 4 years old and out of warranty when I encountered the "known defect." But I am a small office, so it didn't get heavy use. Nevertheless, I saved at least $200 buying their L7780 with warranty and I'm glad I did.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Sparks05 (4/23/10 5:43 PM) reply + / -
Yeah, I'm thinkin' class action suit. HP isn't going to stop bilking consumers. This is a KNOWN problem they refuse to fix or recall. They just want to sell us another unit.

So. They win when we buy the unit. They win when we buy ink. They win when it fails and we buy another model. So why would they change it?

And those "deals" you get? They don't really lose then either since they no doubt write it off as a loss.

Buy Epson, Leximark, Canon, Brothers, whatever!! Just don't buy from a company that thinks NOTHING of screwing consumers year after year.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (4/27/10 11:13 PM) reply + / -
I can't believe that this is still an issue! My boyfriend found one of these 7410 models on the street at least a year or two (or three) ago and brought it home. At THAT time I went hunting for the "cartridge error" and found the ripped contacts on the carriage. Since I had nothing better to do and it was free I actually disassembled the thing and managed to do a repair with some really fine copper wire, tape and the "circuit writer" pen from Radio Shack as mentioned above. As long as the circuit is complete, it will work, so I just tried to bridge the gaps any way I could so that the traces didn't overlap - It wasn't pretty but it worked! Until I had to change the ink cartridge, anyway. It's a nice machine otherwise, so I'm at it again.

It looks like there is a possibility to replace the entire carriage assembly, but I don't want to spend that much if I don't have to and I'm not entirely certain of the proper part since no place will post pics even, but there is at least one that will work on ebay going for $130 right now. Everprint sells the refurbished part at ridiculous prices so I'm gonna try to scavenge something out of another model that takes the same cartridges from a second hand store (10-15 bucks for the whole machine). I'll post back if I have success, but maybe we could compile a list of potential compatible part donor machines that might be easier to find than original part.

Plus I can't believe that there isn't something that can be substituted for this considering it isn't even an electronic component - it is only a circuit trace on a flex cable! My 1950 PSC that I bought in 2000 lasted longest of all my HP products maybe even a couple of years total. I bought a deskjet with a bunch of 5's in the model that quit in a matter of months, my mom has a 1610 that never does what it should, and there is a pile of discarded 2xxx and photosmart models from everyone we know in the closet.

If HP wants any more money from me, the only way they'll get it is thru ink on this 7410, as they have a history of churning out unreliable junk. An inquiry as to what part number to look for only resulted in the brush off to a "service center". I would think they would show a little more interest in sustaining what little hope they have of future business, but I guess not. Anybody have suggestions for reliable manufacturers?

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Anonymous (4/27/10 11:35 PM) reply + / -
Just found replacement part for the encoder strip which used to sell for 50 cents now selling for $108!! This seems like forced upgrading to me.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Jeff J (6/4/10 1:13 PM) reply + / -
Hi, I had the same problem and found this thread, called the number referenced above and spoke to a very nice lady who sold me an 8500 delivered for $216.00. Since my 7410 was 4 years old and out of warranty and I just saw the same printer on sale at Costo for $299, I figure it's better than a jab in the eye with a stick anyway. I am a bit concerned if I have any problems though, since Costco generally has help and an easy return policy and lord knows how HP will handle help requests. Thanks to everyone for this informative thread.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by tennboy1981 (7/12/10 11:12 AM) reply + / -
I had the same issue with my 7310. It really is a shame, Ive had this printer over 6 years with little to no problems until recently. I got the same error, and found the same "jab" in the circuit. Its a shame.

trying to call HP and getting someone to compromise with you did no help. I talked to an indian woman who just tried telling me how much "life" I got out of the printer. I told her regardless of how much "life" it gave me, that HP was responsible for an obvious design flaw, and I shouldn't be responsible.

I told her I at the LEAST deserve a substantial discount on a new model.

So the call turned into a sales pitch where she told me I could get a new all in one printer, top of the line, for some discounted amount that I can't remember. After telling her I would think about it and call back, I researched and found out the discount that she told me was a "deep" discount was a big bunch of BS because I found the exact same printer selling online for LESS that what she was offering. I was pretty POed at this point and gave up on it.

I went out and bought myself a Canon. :)

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Artee (7/22/10 7:26 PM) reply + / -
geez this is still going on ... my 7410 just did the remove an check cartridge on r thingy and i saw the problem was the spring...surprised so many peps had same prob called an talked to tech they tried to push new one on me..*fail* then i found this post and called the case manager an he said he would get back to me tommorrow..my #'s are in the range by the way so we will see what they do....

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by RichieRich31 (7/23/10 4:05 PM) reply + / -
I too had Katie as a CM (I was originally assigned someone named Ray) This Katie was a total b*tch and would not help me at all. I siad I did some research online and that people were getting replacements sent to them, even after the "DECEMBER 2008" cut off. Can anyone that has received a replacement for the 7410 after that date email me at NikeGreat1@aol.com with your case number? She insisted the people on this board were lying. I said if I called back with case numbers of customers who received a replacement unit after that date would you honor one for me? She simply said she would not comment on hindsight and speculation that units were replaced but to call back with those case numbers. Please help out a fellow consumer who also got screwed by HP! Thanks!

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (7/23/10 4:46 PM) reply + / -
I would suggest you click on Legal101's name above. That will open an email link to him. I'm sure he would be happy to help you if he still has the info. With a user name like that, he probably does.

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by lcaplan1 (8/10/10 9:37 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for your post legal 101. I did give HP's ex. 95 a call and got "Anne", who informed me that the extended warranty ended in January 2009. She was only able to offer me an extended warranty if I buy the replacement printer the 8500 premier, or at first $419 purchase price, which went down to $373 and when I did a nextag/pricegrabber search and found it at B&H and Amazon for $269, she came down to $273! Imagine that flexibility in pricing! Needless to say, I don't want to spend another $300 for an HP, although I hate to throw this 7410 out. I never used it heavily and I don't have a pierced flex board, broken or unattached spring arm. The only thing is that it looks dirty in the cartridge bay and ink is below the color cartridge. I'm wondering what the truth is on when the replacement was extended to as you mentioned after 12/31/09? Did you ever find out?

Re: Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (8/10/10 10:02 AM) reply + / -
If your only problem is ink accumulation, you can easily fix it. Just spray it with window cleaner. That will dissolve the ink. Gently blot it dry with a paper towel. Might be a good idea to wear rubber gloves so your fingers don't get stained.

Re: Re: Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Tetrarch (9/28/10 3:02 PM) reply + / -
I have the same error message with my 7310. But in my case the spring isn't broken and the flex circuit is not punctured. Should I replace the black cartridge?

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by MS64MEE (10/18/10 2:35 PM) reply + / -
I had this problem and thanks to this and other forums discovered the root cause was a small plastic retention tab on the carriage that holds the spring was broken. Without this tab, the spring wouldn't maintain contact with the flex cable so printer kept giving me the error to check my cartridge.

Fortunately, my flex cable was not damaged so I fixed this with $5 of quikplastik and about 15 minutes.

Attached are pics of what I did but in a nutshell, I formed the quikplastic through hole where the plastic tab used to be, around the spring and sandwiched the carriage on both sides. After it cured, I had a piece of plastic/expoxy which could hold the spring in place while still allowing print cartridge to be installed.

It's been 5 days as of this post and printer has been working fine (fingers crossed that it stays that way).

I wasn't looking forward to forking out cash for a new printer so this quick and cheap fix suited me just fine.

Hope this helps someone in same boat as me.

Link to photos of what I did.
http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg204/MS64MEE/OfficeJet%207310/

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by JimmyC (11/18/10 6:58 AM) reply + / -
I found a complete replacement carriage with circuit board & trailing cable at "partshere.com", $75+SH. Ordered last night, will post the results when it arrives. Gonna fix it before I install it, if it still has the same design flaw. (Side tension on the spring places too much lateral pressure on a very weak tab when inserting a cartridge)

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by JimmyC (12/3/10 9:29 AM) reply + / -
Well it took about 10 days to get here, and I didn't get to the repair right away, but I did last night, and the cartridge carriage from 'partshere.com', #C8969-60006, works perfectly. It didn't include the trailing cable after all, but had the circuitboard, and position sensor included. The spring retainer on the replacement is considerably more robust than the original, and supported in two places, so I didn't feel it necessary to beef it up myself. Replacing this carriage is not for the faint of heart however. There may be easier ways, but I had to take most of the outer shell off to get to it without damaging other components. I got a couple of pictures of the differences in the carriages, however, I don't know how to upload them to this forum. I'd be happy to send them to anyone interested.

(BTW, I found that using a "zip-tie" to keep the lift springs for the scanner compressed, while re-installing them, was a real help. After they are back in place and secured, you can just cut the zip ties to release them)

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (12/3/10 10:18 AM) reply + / -
Not a job for the faint of heart. Good tip on the lift springs. The one on the left side is particularly difficult. Had to replace a formatter in one yesterday and I didn't want to take the scanner off. I took the right side off because that spring is easy and accessible and that gives access to the formatter. The plastic scanner track is kind of tricky to get out since the screw is on top. I gripped a torx bit in some pliers and used that to turn the screw out. Even with that difficulty, it's a lot easier than taking that top off.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by makis_h (12/4/10 1:28 PM) reply + / -
WELL,
My situation is somehow different; After receiving the message "Remove and Check Cartridge on Right" on my HP 7310 I checked everything mentioned in the above messages. The spring is intact in its place, the retention tab also intact and in place, no damage seen on flex cable. I replaced the black cartridge a few times. The message disappears, the printer functions for several days and when the cartridge is half full, the message reappears and persists despite cleaning gold contacts etc.
Worth mentioning, and this is what I cannot explain, the printer functions perfectly when I install the photo cartridge 348 on the right. This is going on for almost a year.
I have also gone through the recommended cold reset procedure several times, with no results.
Therefore, I am using mainly the scanner and fax options and not the print and copy ones.
Any thoughts or ideas or suggestions, will be appreciated.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by makis_h (edited 12/8/10 10:28 AM) reply + / -
Following my previous notes I decided to spend another 28 euros for a new black cartridge (339) which I installed yesterday (Dec. 7, 2010). The printer functions perfectly and I have printed 8, double sided, pages in black.
I wait now to see when and why I will get the message "Remove and Check Cartridge on Right" again.
I will keep you informed.
Does any body from HP read this thread ??

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Iria (12/18/10 5:51 PM) reply + / -
Any advice on this error if the spring wire is intact and nothing looks wrong. My HP 2710 is just past the warranty at 3 years old and used to give me the error: remove and check cartridge on right
every once in a wile, I would just remove the cartridge and reinsert and the error would go away. Any advice would be helpful. Does the wire attach to a censor of some kind ? TY

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by makis_h (12/19/10 10:19 AM) reply + / -
Removing and re-inserting the cartridge does not make any difference. Error persists and goes away by inserting a new unused black cartridge No 339 or photo cartridge 348, even if the latter is used or empty.
The peculiar thing is that he error never occured when using the photo cartridge on the right holder.
I think, I have read in a forum, that the spring is not attached to any sensor.
Informing also that the error did not reappear on my HP 7310 since the last replacement on December 7, and the printer is functioning OK.
Merry Christmas

hp 7410 officejet encoder strip by JimC4486 (1/1/11 8:18 AM) reply + / -
The Encoder strip broke on the left side of my HP Office Jet (7410). I called HP and they told me that I should consider the machoine a paper weight at this point and purchase a new one as this can't be replaced He told me it is the "brains" of the machine and is not replaceable. It seems odd to me that a machine that was working fine needs to be tossed for one part that I can see.
If anyone can confirm or deny what they are saying I would appreciate it. Also - if it can be replaced can anyone supply a link as to where to find it and any comments or remarks if it is even worth it
Happy New Year

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (1/1/11 11:16 AM) reply + / -
If it's just the end that's broken, you can repair it. I fix them by wrapping several layers of clear tape. Then I cut out the slot for the hanger. If you can't fix it, I have some spares. You need to tell me if it's the metal or plastic strip.

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Coye (1/9/11 11:13 AM) reply + / -
Hey,

I was also thinking on buying the part from that website. Can you send me the pictures.
I will appreciate it. Thanks

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by powderflask (3/6/11 11:09 AM) reply + / -
What a great forum - a big thank you to the moderator and all the contributors.

My 7310 started giving this error, but the spring is not broken, nor is the PCB or encoder strip damaged. Luckily I had a new cartridge on hand (would have been reluctant to buy one after reading this forum) and the printer seems to be working fine after replacing the cartridge (whew).
makis_h seems to have had the same experience - so it's worth trying to replace the cartridge if you find the spring is in tact.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by thomas160 (8/3/11 8:01 AM) reply + / -
I have an HP-7210 and am experiencing the same problem - I can replace the silver spring but when I insert the black ink (HP-96) I get the same message to replace the cartridge on the right. When I pull the cartridge out the silver spring is again dislodged from the side and hanging down - so far only the front of the spring comes off and not the back. Having done this several times and getting the same results I am looking for a "Plan B".
Noted the epoxy suggestion – where on the spring should I apply the epoxy? Any special type of epoxy? Other ideas?
Thanks

Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (8/3/11 10:10 AM) reply + / -
If you're getting the message, it's highly likely the loose spring punctured the flexible wiring behind it. You can easily examine it and see if there are any holes. It's something that can't be repaired, you'd have to replace it and replacements aren't available.

Re: Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by thomas160 (8/3/11 10:34 AM) reply + / -
Moe,

Did not see any damage and still get the same error message with both using the old and new cartridge. When I remove the cartridge, the front end of the spring hangs down while the back remains attached and in place.

Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by moe (8/3/11 11:07 AM) reply + / -
The spring has nothing to do with the message. Just there to keep the cartridge from rattling around. Since it is broken, then I have to assume that it punctured the wiring as it prone to do. I've seen quite a few that had punctured wiring. Take a real close look as sometimes it isn't obvious.

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by wolfdogg (edited 2/20/12 9:27 AM) reply+2 + / -
guess what everybody, i soldered it.

If your printer says check cartridge, and you see a hole in your ribbon cable, it is fixable, if you can solder, or know someone that can.

That wasnt easy. alot of work (couple hours). I took everything apart very carefully, [some rough instructions below], then i scratched back the tracers on each side of the break on two broken wires with a micro sized flat-head screwdriver, tinned the scratch points, stripped back a 24 guage wire, pulled out one strand, tinned one end, soldered it, and did the rest for the other end. then i siliconed the wires to make sure they dont move, and i did a continuity test all the way from the printer head terminal to the circuit board point that it meets the ribbon cable to make sure the job was complete.

CHALK ONE UP to ELECTRONIC ENGINERRING!!

Now im facing a problem, I could just cry! I managed to cause a bit more damage to a spot on the ribbon cable that makes a uturn. there was a rerinforcement sticker on there because apparently during manufacture assempbly they were getting ripped too. that sticker came off right away because it lost its stick back, and the little u-turn spot on the ribbon thats about 1/16th of an inch wide got a minor teat in it, about 1/32 of aan inch and that tore through 2 tracers. ouch. those tracers are a tad smaller than the 2 that got punctured by the spring wire.

I noticed all this after i put away the tools, so im going to forego further repair and see what happens. what i do know is that connection goes to a sensor light beam it looks like, on the carriage and im afraid that its the sensor that somehow reads the location of the carriage during transition. wont that be fun to see what kind of problems this causes when i put it back together.

HERES THE URL OF ALL THE FANCY PICTURES OF THE HP-7410 X-BIAS SPRING RIBBON CABLE PUNCTURE REPAIR. http://pub.wolfdogg.org I dont want to document them for no reason so pleaase have a look at them, they will reside at one of my websites ( wolfdogg.org ), so they should be there for a long time :-)

HP-7410-Top Rough DISSASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS;

get a #10 torx screwdriver, or driver tip for universal screwdriver, and a large flathead screwdriver for prying.
remove back plate [silver screws]
remove ribbon cables by grasping as close to the board as possible, and rocking out carefully.
remove connector clips attaching top lid components with needle nose, or a small flathead while gently pulling on wires.
unthread wires on the top of the plate
pull off 2 black front facings
remove 2 screws on top-deck
pry between the black top-deck on each side, while prying grey side downwards, one at a time, to snap it loose, then hinge off downwards
after taking off each side, raise top lid high enough to wedge spring out of the black plastic top lid hinge stopper
remove lid
take out 2 [silver screws] at the back of the top-deck, and remove 2 bottom front screws from the top-deck
while removing top deck, unthread speaker wire
when top deck is out enough, remove white plastic clip to the wireless card to disconnect the black wire
pry bottom speaker clip out just a tad, then pull speaker holder from the bottom(outwards from the clip) to remove speaker
disconnect speaker clip at the circuit board
3 long screws go in the carriage, another of the same long screws goes in the right side of the carriage rod. [2 silver slim long screws] on in the left and center of the carriage rod

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by menorcarob (8/5/12 2:38 AM) reply + / -
hi
i removed that sping bit and the cartridge works fine

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by Markus Matau (5/27/13 10:18 PM) reply + / -
HP should stand for HPieces of Crap. I have had so much problems with HP products that I finally gave up on them and moved to Toshiba. HP is all for looks and no substance. They cheated their customer by selling the DV6000 series when they new the product line had motherboard issues and too much current flew into the Hd and other component making them dangerously hot. They often friend components or the HD.

Your best remedy is to:

* * * Avoid HP products altogether * * *

Re: HP 7310 & 7410 Remove and Check Cartridge on Right by wolfdogg (6/15/13 3:20 PM) reply + / -
so nobody has found my tutorial on taking apart the printer and soldering the cable? maybe nobody wa as crazy or technically inclined to do so, it was a task, took about 2 days. but hey, that printer is working awesomely for me to this day still.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters