fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Parts are at the end of their Service life

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Parts are at the end of their Service life by mikey nichols (3/20/07 3:03 PM) reply + / -
Hello friends ,
Good da, I own a Epson rx620 and it is about 2 years old .

I just got an ERROR NOTE:
Parts inside your printer are at the end of their service life .

Could you tell me what you all think is the problem so i can fix it my self by replacing the part or parts here at home .
THanks a lot
hoping to hear from you soon

Mikey Nic

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by Wes (3/20/07 3:24 PM) reply + / -
That is a maintenance error. It means the protection counter has reached it's limit. Read here for more info on how to reset the protection counter http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by mdecou (4/26/07 9:54 AM) reply+1 + / -
same problem here after only 14 months of home use. UGH! Not again, will I buy an Epson. I used an HP for 9 years without any trouble. Not again.

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by mdecou (4/26/07 10:05 AM) reply + / -
ok, GREAT!
thanks to whomever has provided this protection counter fix, my hats off to you, and I am now again printing.

Why would Epson put such a counter in this system? Do I need to actually replace anything now, or should I just wait until it shows printing problems, like missed lines, etc.?

thanks,
mdecou

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by Wes (4/26/07 12:28 PM) reply + / -
Unlike HP, Epson looks out fot it's customers. If there is no protection counter used ink will start to leak out of the printer and onto your desk. Which is better? a printer that stops before it leaks or just keeps printing until it does leak?

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by kosteldave (4/26/07 1:24 PM) reply + / -
After experiencing the all lights blinking on my Epson Stylus Color 880, and reading all old threads on how to solve the problem, I dismantled my printer, washed and dried the waste ink pads.
After reassembly, I now get the paper light and the On/Off lights blinking with both ink lights on and not blinking.
There is no response from the printer when trying to access it from my XP computer.

Can anybody Help? or am I at the end of my 880's service life?

PS I tried downloading the 880 manual from fixyourownprinter, but all I got was a blank page. Is it no longer available?

Dave

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by Wes (4/26/07 5:55 PM) reply + / -
That is a maintenance error. It means the protection counter has reached it's limit. Read here for more info on how to reset the protection counter http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by kosteldave (4/26/07 8:25 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Wes. I did download the epsonSSC 4.2. I did reset the protection counter. The window came up saying it was reset. But still no response from my printer.
When asking for a read out on my ink, I get an ERROR window stating that"This function isn't supported in current printer state" It seems that I now have clean waste ink pads and a reset on my protection counter.-----------But the ink lights are on and stationary. The paper light is blinking and the OnOff green light is blinking.
Now what? any suggestions? Dave

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by Anonymous (4/27/07 6:49 AM) reply + / -
this has been very helpful, thanks to the folks that got all of this rolling. I understand from what I'm reading that I need to change out the waste ink pad. I didn't even know there was such a thing, so I'm glad you are there to provide advice. I build furniture for a living, so working with wood is well within my capabilities, but I am pretty weak with electronics/computers. Thanks to you,
Mark

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by kosteldave (4/27/07 8:34 AM) reply + / -
Browsing the net, I found a site on Epson Stylus 880 that described my problem: "Both ink lights on and stationary, paper light blinking, as well as the on/off light blinking".

However, their solution was to remove any paper scrap that might be caught in the roller.

I can see no paper scrap anywhere. My question: is there some place in the printer that senses a paper scrap? And, if so, can it be mistaken?

Anybody got an idea what I can do now? Please Help.
Dave

Re: Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by Anonymous (5/5/07 9:36 AM) reply + / -
Thank you very much, Wes!
That worked for me. I sent emails to Epson Support, they said it has to be replaced by a new one, or send to their service center.
That's ridiculous.

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by kosteldave (5/11/07 9:22 PM) reply + / -
I haven't heard from anybody lately, and I'm stumped and discouraged with my Epson 880 printer, and so give up.
Now More discouragement when using my older Epson stylus 740. Color ink and picture printing is ok, but black text does not print clearly and misses about every other line.

What I've done: repeatedly ran the cleaning process with a new black ink cartridge, I downloaded a new driver from Epson. I went through the trouble shooting. Nothing helps.

I think my Epson printers are ready for the graveyard.

I still have an HP all in one printer I use for scanning etc. I hate using it for printing because of the expensive ink.

My wife says I'm wasting my time ( she'd rather have me working in the yard) trying to fix my Epsons.

Anybody know what brand and model of printer I should look for?

Re: RX620 Error Mesage -Service Required by Georgy (7/31/07 3:53 AM) reply + / -
After changing a couple of ink cartridges on my Epson RX620 and resetting the printer for operation I got the error message "Service Required, Parts inside the printer have reached the end of their service life". Not having any documentation, I searched the internet, trouble shot the Epson procedures and was informed to contact an Epson Technician. I did this to no avail, they kept mentioning the loyality program at epson.com/loyality, I tried but this site was not on the system.
After checking the internet for related problems, I found a way to reset the error message which was to press the STOP and B&W start buttons while hitting the Power-On button. This cleared the error message and reset the printer. (Problem Solved) I hope this might help other with a similar problem.

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by hahahaha (8/7/07 8:08 PM) reply + / -
Thats because loyality is spell loyalty. And you still should clean those pads out.

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by Anonymous (8/24/07 7:42 AM) reply + / -
Thank you guys.You have saved me so much time.
Thank you

Re: Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by Anonymous (12/12/07 10:49 AM) reply + / -
Obviously a massive design fault - What make should we spend our pennies on instead? Thinking of starting a "sick of Epson club" perhaps we should all get on to BBC Watchdog. Epson appears to have little in the way of service agents (anyone know of one within 20 miles of Whitehaven?) and is so secretive as to how to fix simple problems and does not supply spares to the general public it seems. Pity because I like the way they work (when they work that is!) They also flood the market with that many different models - but try to find out what the difference is between the different RX models for instance.... (when/if you find out please let me know!!!) Sorry for the twine but am geting heartily fed up with trying to fix mine and friends epson printers once they have printed their first 1000 pages!

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by shintaro (12/12/07 11:54 AM) reply + / -
hi

these are 2 links you need to solve your problem but please please read intsrutions first

first link is to download the programme

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

yes it is a russian site but no problems

second link will take to a site to download which will take you step by step throufgh the process it is in pretty picture form as well

http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html

one thing you must do it put your make (c44) in as c4x

enjoy

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by tk55 (edited 12/12/07 12:02 PM) reply + / -
ya, i think all inkjet machines with waste ink pads, like epson and canon, should have a clam-shelf design much like a photocopier.

so when the ink pads are full, you unlock the clam-shelf, lift it, throw out and replace the ink pads, shut it, reset the counter, and continue printing :)

and the user manual should contain the full instruction including resetting the counter.,,,,,,,

but then the printer won't be $100 but $200 :(

how to replace waste ink pads - Color Stylus 880 by wayneman (2/2/08 9:00 AM) reply + / -
I actually tried to purcase the service manual from 911manuals.com, but when I tried to download the manual, I kept getting a "page not found message"...five times until I used up my downloads. Hopefully it wasn't a scam and they will send the pdf manual to me via email.

Until it arrives, can someone comment on how difficult it will be and how much time it will take to remove and clean the waste ink pads.

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by tigerwan (2/2/08 10:34 AM) reply + / -
The manual you are needing can be downloaded here....

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_mfg/Epson_22.html

You will need WinRAR to open it once ALL the pieces are downloaded.

Re: Re: RX620 Error Mesage -Service Required by Anonymous (3/10/08 12:02 PM) reply + / -
Thanks much for this tip which worked for me. The reason I like this model is that it scans and prints negatives, the only Epson that does -- and they have now dropped that feature from all their models. My concern now, is how long will the fix last? I did buy another Epson (RX 680), which I have not installed yet, but it does not do negatives. Do you know of another machine in another brand that does, when I again get the "end of service" message?

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by h&d (2/8/09 9:39 AM) reply + / -
hi, can anyone walk me throught resseting of the rx620 service required message? carnt find b&w buttons to hold down where are they? i have gone into the b&w menu on the lcd screen held it down with the stop button and the on/off button then the printer goes off and back on again but the message is still there. can anyone help me please

Re: Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by websnail (2/8/09 10:44 AM) reply + / -
The B&W button that's being referred to is the "Copy" button for Mono or Black and White copies.

So to repeat the instructions from Georgy, you turn the printer off.

Then hold the Stop and Copy button (mono) down together before you use your other hand to turn on the power.

Any manual for the Epson should indicate which button the B&W copy button is.

Hope that helps... and as an added bonus... here's all the intel on the RX620 which includes fitting an external waste tank :)

http://www.continuousink.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4141

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by h&d (2/8/09 2:36 PM) reply + / -
hi georgy, sorry for this mistake the printers that i have are rx640's not rx620's as in my last post. been trying for 4 hours hold down copy and stop buttons my fault as i just have rx620 in my head lol. can any one help with the rx640 service required error message as i have three with the same problem please help
h&d

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by Anonymous (2/8/09 5:18 PM) reply + / -
http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by SallyE (5/5/09 11:26 AM) reply + / -
Thank you everyone!

My RX620 produced the dreaded error message this morning. I HAVE the documentation, so looked up the message - it is really helpful. Solution - 'Contact your dealer.'

I emailed Epson and was told to send it to be repaired, or buy a new one! Using the list provided, I rang one company and was told that it would be too expensive to repair, but they could 'reset' the counter for me, at a cost of 20. (Plus getting it to them!!)

A friend told me to Google the error message - and I found this website. I read the comments, and followed the instructions - printer now working! :D

I will investigate cleaning the waste ink pads - any suggestions on replacing the left-hand one as it appears to be crumbling?

Thanks for your help! ;D

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by Nightowl0v0 (3/15/10 7:52 AM) reply + / -
Hi,

just wanted to add that, the tube carrying the waste ink to the pads can actually be routed out throught the plastic casing of the printer, and into a small tub (ie tupperware tub), to catch the excess ink. This tub can then be monitored and emptied as needed (ensure to check it regularly!) eliminating the need to ever clean or replace the pads again. This in conjunction with resetting the protection counter when necessary means for trouble free printing.

An old post I know but, just thought it might be useful for some

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by Anonymous (3/15/10 5:00 PM) reply + / -
Follow the fix suggested by Wes, the post just below yours. My RX620 is 4 years old. Two years ago, I tried his fix and it worked. I'm still using the printer. Recently I printed (10) 125-page books, many pages in color. I kept my fingers crossed while I did it, but no problems. Good luck.

Re: Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by superG (6/15/10 12:52 PM) reply + / -
worked for me - saved me paying lots of money for a new printer.

Thank you very much my dear friend

black not printing clearly by maliti (8/9/10 8:24 PM) reply + / -
my black color on rx620 is printing leaving blurrs.all the other colors are ok.i have tried cleaning the head several times but no help. From the responds above, will i be right to say that its the waste ink pad that needs replacement or its the black ink nozle that has a problem? What are the solutions?
Jerry

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by Wes (8/9/10 10:56 PM) reply + / -
Your printer will stop working once the protection counter has reached it's limit. And the lights will flash. You have a clog that will be fixed with a kit like this http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/epson/K89 or the ink purge tube is clogged or it popped off.

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by NICEGUY (8/30/10 6:53 PM) reply + / -
0N MY EPSON RX700 PRINTER I GET THIS ERROR
error parts inside your printer are at the end of service life. see your printer's documentation for details.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO FIX THIS

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by rohmell (9/1/10 6:43 PM) reply-1 + / -
The above problems are one of the reasons that I will NEVER buy any Epson printer, ever.

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by mozzy27 (9/19/10 9:10 PM) reply + / -
Hello all
My Epsom Stylus Photo Tx800FW only a couple of years old which I have converted to a RIHAC continuous Ink Supply system because I was sick of paying $150 to replace their cartridges after only printing a hand full of photo's produced the dreaded error message "The printer's ink pads are at the end of their service life" this morning. I HAVE the documentation, so looked up the message - it is really helpful. Solution - 'Contact your dealer.' I also emailed Epsom Australia and could only come up with the same answer.
Can anyone out there help me or can I use the same epsonSSC 4.2.

Re: Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by Bany (9/26/10 1:06 AM) reply + / -
Hi Mozzy27, I too had a similar problem, but mine was the message regarding the Ink pads at the end of their service life first, I searched tirelessly and finally decided on the only solution that came close, It was a fix being sold on Ebay, by an Indian chap in the UK, it was very cheap so I figured what the heck. He was very helpful and I soon had the problem solved, it did not work exactly as stated, but I bypassed any messages and it worked just fine. Needless to say I was very happy and told the chap I probably would not keep the printer due to the high ink waste, he told me it was a good machine and to buy a CISS, I have not installed it yet as I still have some cartridges.
Hope this helps you.
I may need your help to do the install as the instructions I have are a bit hard to understand.

My problem now is I also purchased a Waste ink collection tank and I can not find any decent instructions on how to get into the printer to fit it.
If anyone has any instructions to do this I would be most grateful.

Re: Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by catippins (6/8/11 8:46 PM) reply + / -
You, sir, are a genius. You saved me tonight and I thank you, most kindly! What a huge help that utility is. Be well and thank you again.

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by Wes (6/8/11 10:26 PM) reply + / -
the tank sits outside the printer. You use the original ink purge tube and then connect that to the tank. It will not stop the protection counter but you won't need to clean the absorber pads.

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by SilverBullet (7/14/11 4:44 PM) reply + / -
Holly Crap!!!
First of all, sending your printer to EPSON for service is out of the question. Their charges for this service are close to $200.00 plus 2-way shipping if your beyond your warranty period. Did you pay that much for your printer??? Not Likely....maybe the inks, but not the printer.

The logical conclusion would be that "it's time for a new printer", but, THERE IS A SIMPLE FIX.
The SIMPLE FIX does not require dismantling your printer, No parts to be replaced, No software untilities that you need to download and you don't have to build a homemade five gallon bulk containment tank to attach to your printer to accept the waste inks that your printer will generate in the future.

"LETS GET RID OF THAT DAM MESSAGE AND GET BACK TO PRINTING"

(1)Turn OFF your printer and open the top cover.
(2)At the bottom left side of the floor of the internal compartment you'll see a small (1" X 1-1/2") sponge stuffed into a rectangular cavity, which I call the DUMP BUCKET. Go ahead and touch the sponge and get your fingertip BLACK with waste ink...that confirms that you've found it.
(3)Now, get the secret weapon .... TOILET PAPER. Roll up 2 or 3 squares of your favorite bum wipe and press the end of the little roll you've made down onto the sponge. Let it sit there for 5 minutes while it wicks up the waste ink from the bucket.
Repeat this process 4 or 5 times or until your confident that you've got most of the waste ink out of the reservior. Ten percent of the waste ink is probably still in the DUMP BUCKET, but Who Cares?
(4)Now that the DUMP BUCKET is empty, let's turn off that annoying error message.
Turn ON your printer and let it cycle through it's normal start-up procedure until it's ready to print.
Now, press and HOLD three buttons on the printer's control panel at the same time....the buttons are STOP, MAINTENANCE and POWER.
Hold the buttons down about 5 seconds until the printer cycles through SHUTS DOWN and turns OFF.
Now press the POWER button and let the printer reboot and go through the normal START UP process.
(5)Now your ready to start printing without that annoying message for maybe a year of two or until that DUMP BUCKET is full again.

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by Carole Taylor (2/27/12 3:34 AM) reply + / -
I was using my printer this morning and it decided to come up with the message : Service required - Parts at the end of their service life.
Thank you to Georgy 31/07/07. Having read your comments on how to reset the error message and it worked.

'PRESS THE STOP BUTTON AND THE B&W BUTTON DOWN TOGETHER AND AT THE SAME TIME HOLD DOWN THE POWER BUTTON FOR A FEW SECONDS'
This cleared the message for me, try it!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Re: Re: RX620 Error Mesage -Service Required by Traceann (3/8/13 9:58 AM) reply + / -
When the ssc utility didn't work. No response from printer. Your reset procedure worked (problem Solved) Thank you so much! You saved my RX620 from the sledge hammer.

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by tarikosimone (4/7/13 4:47 PM) reply + / -
Can this work with an Epson Stylus Photo 1400
or have a suggestion for this model?

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by robheath (2/28/14 9:23 AM) reply + / -
Hi all,
I have an Epson Stylus Photo RX640 and have downloaded the SSC utility program. It says that the counter has reset etc as per the instructions but the error message saying that parts need a service and are near the end of their life still appears. I have held down the Stop, Tools and power buttons and after a few seconds the printer goes off and reboots but message still there. I have also found the ink dump sponge and used kitchen roll to absorb some of the ink up. HELP any other suggestions would be gratefully received
Many thanks Rob

Re: Parts are at the end of their Service life by robheath (2/28/14 9:26 AM) reply+1 + / -
Hi all,
I have an Epson Stylus Photo RX640 and have downloaded the SSC utility program. It says that the counter has reset etc as per the instructions but the error message saying that parts need a service and are near the end of their life still appears. I have held down the Stop, Tools and power buttons and after a few seconds the printer goes off and reboots but message still there. I have also found the ink dump sponge and used kitchen roll to absorb some of the ink up. HELP any other suggestions would be gratefully received
Many thanks Rob

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters