fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Hp designjet 130

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Hp designjet 130 by Sonja___ (1/19/07 9:03 AM) reply + / -
Hello,

we've got a problem with our printer (HP Designjet 130). As you can see on the scanned print below, the colour is not appearing correctly on the bottom (should be green). We've tried with different settings and used the maintenance function, but still no improvement. What shall I do?

please click on the link to see the scan:
http://img342.imageshack.us/img342/1773/hpdesignjetzd3.jpg

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Stephen (1/19/07 7:43 PM) reply + / -
Looks like a clogged printhead.

Try drawing blocks and filling them with cyan, magenta, and yellow and printing them to see which color is failing, if the printer uses other colors try thme too. (not sure if this is a 4 or 6 head printer)

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Ranger390 (9/12/07 12:02 PM) reply+1 + / -
Hi, did you find a fix for your disappearing color problem on the DSJ 130?

Thanks

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Dave Graham (1/8/09 11:44 AM) reply + / -
I've got a designjet 130 with the roll feed option. It seems to print its own self test / information pages fine when fed from the front with single sheets but when I try to feed it with roll from the back it goes into "frustrate the user" mode.

Some of the things it does are - produce a paper skew error; produce a paper feed error; just beep and do nothing - all indicated on the display. It will feed the paper in to the point where it looks as if it's going to stop and then unspool it again and then maybe flag another error and possibly beep a few times. It can just sit and sound as though it's recycling something inside for a few minutes and then do any of the things noted above.

I'm prepared to accept that I might misfeed the paper a few times but not completely consistently like this.

I have trawled around looking at all the references I can find - none of them seem to say much other then repeat my experiences and indicate that I might have to try 10 or 15 times to get the paper to stay loaded.

Is there some fix for this? I should say that all of this has been carried out without a computer connected and with or without an additional network card attached.

The frustrating thing is that I picked it up for almost nothing at a company bankruptcy sale and it's only done about 300 prints - almost new and already only just escaped my lump hammer of frustration.
Thanks in advance and if anyone needs any help with DataProducts interfaces or other stuff out of the ark do say - at least you could see what was happening inside printers then even if it wouldn't print photo quality A0 pictures in less than a day.

Regards

Dave

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Anonymous (1/28/09 3:44 AM) reply + / -
if its any consolation many such problems have been reported. i am experiencing this kind of problems myself. i have come to think that the printer does not recognize the roll-there is no indication in the lcd front screen-. professional help seems to be needed.patience!

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Ranger390 (1/28/09 4:30 AM) reply + / -
You could run the "Calibrate the paper feed" option.

You set the paper type when doing this for the paper type you are using.

This could affect paper movement and detection.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Anonymous (1/29/09 1:57 AM) reply + / -
thanks for the responce. the paper feed calibration failed. i tried printing from roll but the roll indication on the lcd screen kept blinking. i am guessing there is something the matter with the left part that holds the roll because no lights-green, orange or any other color- appear on it. i don t know what part this is though.thanks

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Ranger390 (1/29/09 4:12 AM) reply + / -
If you are loosing color or have fading/missing color on the printed sheets as above... check the printheads. They are removeable and have a date printed on them.

There is a config sheet you can printout and view the age and usage of each printhead.

This problem can occur on printheads used well past their life and printheads that are not used as much but are past their life usage.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Ranger390 (edited 1/29/09 4:30 AM) reply + / -
There are two slots on the back of the printer for loading paper, an upper and lower… the upper is for sheet fed paper and the lower is where the roll paper feeds into. Is this familiar?

A FLASHING roll symbol means the roll is empty or a paper jam.

130 Roll loading instructions…

This section is only relevant if your printer has a roll feed installed.
Only one source of paper can be used by the printer at any one time, so if a
roll of paper is loaded and the software requests printing on a sheet
of paper:
• If you have a manual roll feed installed on your printer, you must unload the
roll manually before you can print to a sheet of paper.
• If you have the Automatic Roll Feed installed on your printer, the roll is
automatically unloaded by the printer.
In any case, the roll is automatically reloaded the next time printing to the roll is
requested.
You can cut a roll without unloading it by pressing the OK key (top right key on
the front panel); the paper first advances about 1 cm or 0.4 inch.
1. Set your application to pick paper from the roll feed (only applicable with
the manual roll feed).
2. Select Print from your application.
3. Load a roll of the required paper onto the spindle. Ensure that the roll is the
right way round with the surface on which you wish to print facing up and
that the blue stop on the spindle is pushed in against the paper.
4. Insert the spindle into its retaining slots, with the blue stop on the right and
the black stop on the left as seen from the rear of the printer.
If the paper is glossy, we recommend that you wear gloves to avoid
smearing the surface of the paper.
5. Make sure that the leading edge of the roll is straight and perpendicular to
its side edges and has no irregularities.
6. Rewind any excess paper so that the paper is rolled tightly onto the spindle.
7. Insert the leading edge of the paper into the lower slot in the rear of the
printer. Push the paper in until it encounters resistance, keeping the sides of
the paper rolled tightly so that the paper is aligned properly. After emitting a
‘beep’, the printer will take up the paper.
The printer will check the alignment of the paper.If the paper is
properly aligned, the roll icon will appear on the display,
indicating that the printer is ready to print.
If the paper is misaligned, the printer will eject the paper and the
display will show the misaligned and roll icons; you will have to
reload the paper.
8. Repeat Step 6, so that the paper is tightly rolled onto the spindle.
Sheet paper
Roll paper

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Dave Graham (1/29/09 10:11 AM) reply + / -
With regard to the above comments I have to say that I have reloaded the paper until I am blue in the face - I cannot believe that the position sensors require sub mm accuracy and I have done this enough times to surely have got it right at least once just by chance. where is the roll feed sensor? how does it check alignment for goodness? Why are there so many people reporting this as a problem with this printer?. Everything else works fine - it prints properly on single sheets from the front and I'm putting it in the right slot on the back - this is the first time I have roundly cursed HP!

Thanks for any help anyone provides

Dave

Hp designjet 130 print head nozzle by DDdesigner (2/2/09 11:53 AM) reply + / -
I have used this printer for a few years and had to store it for a year (wrapped up under a bed). When I set it up for use again, the first print head nozzle (yellow) was giving me a flashing error message. I replaced it only to get the same results. I tried cleaning the head contacts and tapping on the head and sometimes got the error to stop flashing and made it able it to print (not every time). When it did print, it printed just fine. Now though, it is giving me a constant flashing error, and no efforts seem to fix the print head nozzle error. Any advice?

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Dave Coleman (11/20/09 10:22 AM) reply + / -
Where can I find samples of the print head alignment sheet showing successful/unsuccessful alignment?

Re: Hp designjet 130nr by Petra Kapitza (12/16/09 5:24 AM) reply + / -
Hi,

I have a HP Designjet 130nr and have a problem with printing yellow. Sometimes it's working but often the colour yellow stops printing half way through when I'm printing a large scale print. I've replaced the ink cartridge and the print head but this hasn't solved the problem.

Any ideas what else I could try?
Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Petra

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Scytex (12/16/09 4:43 PM) reply + / -
I am finding that leaving these plotters without printing once in awhile will cause the ink in the ink tubes to harden and you will
get printhead errors and other ink related problems.

as for that piss poor roll feed I have seen the same problem the rest of you are having-roll not recognized.The service manual is not much help.

I just was asked to service another of these that had been sitting for six months-after the customer bought all new inks and printheads
I found the ink tubes were indeed dry and ink was not moving in the tubes. customer did not want to pay for a new tube assembly and purchased a different machine.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong here. any service tips for these failing plotters/printers would help reduce landfill.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by nivek (12/17/09 9:47 PM) reply + / -
I would only say why would the customer spend all that money on cartridges and printheads and not buy the tube assembly. They arent that expensive and easy to replace. I guess the only thing I would advice is to purge it like the 500 and 1050 series before you replace to see if that clears it up. I've done a few both ways. Purging and replacing.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by hubbardl (5/21/10 8:40 AM) reply + / -
I am having a problem with a HP DesignJet 130 printer. Every time the teacher turns it on, it prints a test page. How can I stop that.

Thank You,
Linda J. Hubbard
Tech Support
Riverview High School
One Ram Way
Sarasota, FL 34231
941-923-1484, ext 64145

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (5/21/10 3:51 PM) reply + / -
Usually it will print 3 sheets if the printheads do not align correctly. Check out the sheet that comes out and there should be a check mark in the lower right hand side. If there is an X it means the alignment has failed and the plotter will try 2 more times unless you hit the cancel button. If this is your issue you need to look at the page and the line where the X appears is the color of the printhead that has issues. Best to look at the blocks for all 6 heads as there may be more than one that has issues.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Niklas (9/21/10 3:13 AM) reply + / -
The printer will still print, but yellow ink is not fed properly, so color prints have an odd tint. If you change to a new yellow head it will look fine until the head runs out of the original ink charge and then chokes again from not getting new ink fed to it.

Could this be the tubes or, because i might buy the printer and need to be sure that i can fix it.

reagards, please reply asap.

Kind regards
Niklas

Re: Hp designjet 130 by ConSol (10/5/10 5:09 PM) reply + / -
I have an hp 130nr and it works fine. However, when I print from the roll the paper does not cut, it just crumple. Could someone help please?

Re: Hp designjet 130 by RBM44 (10/26/10 7:28 AM) reply + / -
My design Jet 130 keeps pausing during printing of a 28" x 20" color print.
I have tried 3 different photo programs and have the same result.
Printing pause 45 to 55% thru. When I hit continue it cuts off the roll and starts over.

I am using a MAC with OS X 10.6
Printer cartridges are full and it did print out the first print this morning fine.

Any ideas hate to keep wasting photo paper.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by pgarch (11/1/10 6:48 AM) reply + / -
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY FEED BACK GIVEN REGARDING a DJ 130 that will not load paper from any of the three possible locations. The control panel shows paper jam. There is none, paper shoots thru the rear and manual paper feeds, the tray feed will not load at all. Sometimes when trying to do a test plot, the front manual paper feed seems to pull paper but does not pull it far enough and the unit appears to be plotting but ink just goes on the platten because paper is not loaded far enough. Any help would be appreciated Really.

Re: Re: Hp designjet 130nr by Marc Much (11/13/10 2:14 AM) reply + / -
I was wondering if you found out what was wrong. I have the same issue with yellow. It sometimes stops a little ways through a print.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by paul h3683 (5/22/11 10:27 AM) reply + / -
hi everybody, hope there is someone who can help me, my hp 130 was working fine until i got a paper jam and stupidly pulled the paper out the front. now it will print but the quality and colour are bad. ive learned since, that you must take the back off and retreave the stuck paper gently. please advise thank you

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dwpotter (7/20/11 9:18 PM) reply + / -
Everyone,

If the yellow is not printing, it is most likely the print tubes (RIDS assembly) That is your problem. I just bought mine for around 60 bucks. If you consider the cost of ink and printhead, this is a much cheaper alternative. I will let you know if anyone is still interested about how it works out. Parts come in tomorow, reply if you want to know. DP

Re: Hp designjet 130 by printer1234 (7/28/11 8:02 AM) reply + / -
I replaced a RIDS assembly in a designjet 130 and it still won't print yellow. Is there something else I was supposed to do?

Re: Hp designjet 130 by printer1234 (7/28/11 8:02 AM) reply + / -
I replaced a RIDS assembly in a designjet 130 and it still won't print yellow. Is there something else I was supposed to do?

Re: Hp designjet 130 by nivek (7/28/11 9:53 AM) reply + / -
well you probably need to prime/purge the tube assembly to get ink flowing through the tubes and to get rid of any air bubbles. Most the time if the color isnt working you have to replace the head also unless the purge fills it back up and the nozzles arent clogged.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (7/28/11 4:08 PM) reply + / -
nivek is correct you have to prime the tubes.

Set Flag to Prime Tubes

The purpose of this utility is to prime the Ink Supply Tubes after they have been replaced (or if a situation arises where you need to force the priming procedure).

Prime the Ink Supply Tubes as follows:

Make sure that you install Printheads that haven’t had priming already done to them.

1 Hold the power button down and press the cancel button three times and the resume button three times.

2 Switch Off the printer and then On again in order to start the priming of the Ink Supply Tubes.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by tanzim (9/8/11 12:38 PM) reply + / -
it was a mistake to buy hp130,its actually made from a low tech joining of 2 rejected malfunctioning,ill fated hp1280 a3 printers to be sold more than 6 times the price of it & 1/6th of its reliability.there is hardly any instance that it printed without any problem.at times it gobbles a2 sheets,tears them ,then you have to take out back panel to remove as if hp has invented a revolutionary technology of tonsil operation from the pelvic side.the frustrating most is the front loading a1 size loader which is very cynical & dubious of what u are intending to insert.after a time consuming alignment struggle it would finally decide to reject what you wanted to print,keeping you standing where you were before -just that now you have a very heavy spacy junk that you wish you havnt bought,but its too late,you cant throw it,but its a good thing to make charity to some 3rd world school.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Eileen4251 (9/11/11 10:20 PM) reply + / -
Hey, i purchased a second hand designjet and the previous owner bought it in 2006. he hasnt used it for a year before i bought it off his hands. I just got around to setting it up and when i print pictures...there are lines striking across the page. Some pages are printed in one color too (pink). Ive done the calibration, the aligning, and cleaning for the printheads too. Nothing helps. Where can the problem be? The printer or the printheads.

Note: the print heads were installed in 2007. Its been four year so it is time to change them?

Im not very tech savy so Im open to whatever you guys can tell me.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (9/12/11 5:28 AM) reply + / -
Is the alignment successful or do you get 3 pages with an x in the right margin. Did you look at the alignment page and look at the blocks are they all solid or are some missing or have lines thru them. The biggest problem with the unit is the yellow tube which tends to get clogged and the only was to repair is to replace the complete tube assembly.

Re: Re: Hp designjet 130 by Eileen4251 (9/12/11 9:47 AM) reply + / -
The alignment comes out as 3 pages of partially printed things. The border is all sorts of colors with lines through them..and there is a x in there. The blocks are somewhat solid. There is a blue magenta and purple block only..and there are lines thru them.

Where can i find a diagram of this "tube assembly"?

Re: Hp designjet 130 by skazarian (10/3/11 4:11 PM) reply + / -
Reading through several threads - I have a Designjet 130NR Printer with the dreaded 'wont print yellow' syndrome. I put a brand new print head and ink cartridge - same deal.

I found the service manual for the printer, a link is out there, maybe it was on this thread, easy to find. I used it to remove the ISS assembly - which includes the base for the print head assembly as well as the 'rail' for lack of better terminology for the ink tanks. Took all of 5 minutes to remove the center cover and end cover, less than 5 minutes to remove the assembly.

For what its worth, I placed the print heads upside down in a plastic container with a small amount of isopropanol in the bottom thinking that would help keep them from drying out. As it turns out, its probably unnecessary. Anyway, I was able to remove the yellow tube from the assembly by carefully removing the mating half of the yellow feed line from the print head assembly on the ISS. The tube is just 24 gauge (or similar) IV line, and its pressed in to a rubber gasket - pulling on it carefully and it popped right out. Same story on the ink tank end, although I had to remove two plastic covers to expose the 6 ink lines.

Now I have the yellow feedtube removed from the ISS assembly,careful examination revealed several areas where ink dried in the tube. I used a length of 24 gauge copper magnet wire (single stranded enamel coated copper wire) and carefully pushed the wire through the tube - pushing out all the gunk. After that I re-assembled all of the above.

I created a pure yellow letter sized rectangle and printed to the printer with the ink level set to heavy and ran three sheets - I noticed as the printer started each run, it seems to prime and pushed about 10" worth of ink into the tube, and pushed maybe another 2 - 3" during the print. By the time I ran the third sheet through the printer, no more air, and no more problems with yellow.

Hope it helps - I will remember to wear rubber gloves next time as it looks like I have a serious case of jaundiced hands...

Re: Hp designjet 130 by skazarian (10/3/11 4:13 PM) reply + / -
...one additional note. I purchased the printer new in 2006, and it generally gets bursts of usage with downtime of (6months?) in between uses. An HP rep suggested keeping the printer 'ON' not just plugged in as this keeps pressure in the lines.
That seems to work as there have definitely been 6 month lags between prints, and this is the first time I have had an issue with the printer. I can trace it back to a faulty ink cartridge where the rubber seal failed (and HP replaced it).

Re: Hp designjet 130 by 551captain (10/21/11 10:19 AM) reply + / -
We have a HP DJ130 and everytime we select multiple copies of a print the DJ130 puts all the items on a single page before cutting. The printer works fine and color is good, just everything is on one sheet.

Any ideas?

Re: Hp designjet 130 by marinarovi (11/4/11 9:22 AM) reply + / -
Whenever I try to print gray lines (I'm using autocad) they all come out pink, unless I print an all-black-ink page.-
How can I help this?

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (11/4/11 3:28 PM) reply + / -
Sounds like some of your other colors are not working as they are used to create the gray. Suggest you run the calibration routine which prints all the color blocks and see which printheads are not laying down ink so you can replace them.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (11/4/11 3:30 PM) reply + / -
Sounds like some of your other colors are not working as they are used to create the gray. Suggest you run the calibration routine which prints all the color blocks and see which printheads are not laying down ink so you can replace them.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (11/4/11 4:05 PM) reply + / -

Re: Re: Hp designjet 130nr by leitz32 (11/24/11 4:27 AM) reply + / -
Hola

Hp designjet 150 only printing yellow? by leon maples (11/28/11 4:10 AM) reply + / -
my hp designer jet 500 is only printing yellow no matter what colour i pick... how do i fix this

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Jaina Mistry (1/27/12 2:42 AM) reply + / -
Our HP Designjet 130 only plots half a drawing and then spits the paper out. How can we resolve this so that it prints the full drawing on A1 paper?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

Re: Hp designjet 130 by maureenpr (2/18/12 11:56 AM) reply + / -
My printer was working fine, then all of a sudden it stopped printing the magenta, then started printing it again about 9-12 inches further down the paper. This happened on 6 posters.
I ran the calibration and found the lt magenta was banding, but it printed. And the magenta printed just fine. I ran the printhead test and everything was fine. So I tried to print another poster and it happened again. Any clues?

hp deign jet 111 by Mohammed abrar (2/22/12 1:00 AM) reply + / -
Hey

I have a HP Design jet 111 printer which is giving problem
when i on the printer, the paper jam icon comes on and after a few seconds the printer turns off by itself.
Can help.....

Re: Hp designjet 130 by 1slittle (2/22/12 10:17 AM) reply + / -
Our printer has adopted a strange habit. It will print documents/drawings with no hiccup from their native applications. But when you print from a PDF it prints everything with a bright green hue. If we don't print for a couple days then the printer will sometimes do the first sheet correct but by about half way through an 18"x24" print the green starts to fade in and by the end of the sheet it's nearly all washed in green. Every sheet after that for the will be green too.

We have replaced printer heads, cartridges, and run every calibration process we knew about. We print from different machines with the same result.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-STL

HP Designjet 130nr always does calibration by Edelweiss (3/1/12 11:59 PM) reply + / -
Hello,

we have replaced a printhead on the HP Designjet 130nr.
I have also done the printhaed recalibration.
But now it is printing a calibration page before every printout.
Any ideas?

Re: Hp designjet 130 by teacherlongbeach (3/21/12 12:15 PM) reply + / -
Can I use the HP Designjet 130 without all 5 printheads in place?
I don't want to buy new ones and it is missing the color ones. I only print in black...

Hp designjet 130 by justjimmy (4/23/12 6:17 PM) reply + / -
My 130nr prints only black and yellow - no other colors.

I've changed the print cartridges, re-aligned the heads, forced a print head cleaning and calibrated the colors but nothing helps.

What's next?

I should add that I rarely print in color - 98% black only.

Could this be the problem with dried print tubes or heads?

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (4/23/12 7:24 PM) reply + / -
Probably the heads. You have 6 heads and you need to take the magenta, cyan, light magenta and light cyan heads out of the plotter and place in a cup of heated water. The water should be tea or coffee temp. Let them it in the water for about 2 minutes. Remove and blot each on a paper towel and hopefully you will have 2 lines of color for all of them. Put back in the plotter and try again. If still issues they will need to be replaced. Most times it is the yellow in this model that has an issue with the tubes so I doubt you are having tube issues.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by juatjimmy (4/24/12 4:02 AM) reply + / -
Are there instructions on how to remove the heads?

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (4/24/12 5:04 AM) reply + / -
Are you kidding me. You just lift the right hand cover like putting in new ink cartridges and then lift the handle of the carriage assembly. We are talking about the printheads in the carriage assembly. That are a user replaceable item and if you need to replace that cost between 20 and 30 bucks each.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by justjimmy (4/24/12 5:27 AM) reply + / -
first of all, no need to be sarcastic. I'm new at this.

Are you referring to the head on the actual cartridge? If you are, I just replaced all the ink cartridges.

I've removed all the cartridges and see the small round pieces where the cartridge heads fit into. All those pieces are on one plastic bar. Is this the part I need to clean?

Please understand that I've never done this before and appreciate any help you can give me.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by ranger390 (4/24/12 3:59 PM) reply + / -
Get the manual and look up printheads and ink cartridges... two different things. The printheads will mount in the carriage assembly and usually have little blue handles that pivot up so you can pull them out.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by ranger390 (4/24/12 4:00 PM) reply + / -
Get the manual and look up printheads and ink cartridges... two different things. The printheads will mount in the carriage assembly and usually have little blue handles that pivot up so you can pull them out.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by justjimmy (4/24/12 4:30 PM) reply + / -
Thanks.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (edited 5/24/12 9:32 PM) reply + / -
My HP DesignJet 130 will not accept an OEM ink cart that it thinks is empty but I have refilled. I've searched to see if there is a "Button sequence" that will shut the sensor off and stop the display from flashing. HP does list a long set of button sequences but none of them are listed to clean the flashing alarm for 1 empty ink cart. I have vendor Refillable ink carts and most of them work fine but for some reason it won't accept the Yellow HP 85 ink cart. I know there is a "Hard reset" for the network card and that clears everything,...but I'm hoping there is another way to bypass the error for a OEM cart that has been refilled. How does the print sense the ink level,..or does it just estimate the level by keeping track of how much ink was used.

OK,..here is an update on what I found out. The vendor refillable ink cart failed because their Auto reset chip was defective. Their dumb warranty was only 30 days and it to 12 days to get here. I didn't attempt to use it unit the HP ink cart went empty and by that time it was way out of their warranty. Never buy from them again. Put in other vendor ink carts and all is fine again.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by stickq (5/15/12 2:44 PM) reply + / -
I have an HP DesignJet 130nr C7791D. My work was going to junk it and I took it instead for free. It works it just needs some tweaking.

Currently, it says all the ink cartridges other than black are empty. However, if you open the cartridge area and take them out you can feel that there is ink left in almost every cartridge except yellow. I have tried using system maintenance to clean the print heads and then align them. On alignment it only prints yellow and then stops. When normally printing a page of black text it prints the page with lines through the text until it gets really faint and prints nothing at all even though it says the black cartridge is full.

In the system maintenance screen it says all the cartridges are "expired". I am not all that familiar with the ink in these things does it go bad after time? The date on the cartridges is 2007. I have three new cartridges(unopened in vacuum seal bags but older) to replace half of the ones in the printer but didn't want to open them if it was an issue with the heads instead. To replace all the heads is $220. Is there a way to manually clean the heads?

Thanks, for any help you can give.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (5/24/12 9:27 PM) reply + / -
stickg,,...The 130 is very particular about ink levels and of course the heads. My suggestion is to remove all ink carts that show empty on the display and replace them with new. At the same time I would remove all heads and clean then as the instructions in the HP manual tell you too. After you have cleaned the bottoms as instructed you could also soak each head "Individually" in 1" of medium hot water until the water cools and repeat the cleaning of the bottoms. Clean the contacts with ISOpropyl Alcohol and reinstall the heads and all ink carts. If the printer comes ready and their is no flashing yellow caution light then you should start the HP System Maintenance Service tool and do an internal "Soft" head cleaning and the perform an Image Quality test. Make sure to load the tray with paper.

Re: Hp designjet 130nr by meleon (10/3/12 3:30 AM) reply + / -
Greetings

We have a networked HP130nr which we use for mechanical drawing printing.

On a W7 64 bit workstation, when selecting a TIFF file for print, only part of the print required is shown on the preview and only that part is printed.

This is only an issue with TIFF files, and our XP workstation that uses the same printer does not have this problem.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (10/3/12 9:23 AM) reply + / -
meleon,...The 130 is no different than any other printer. In the software that you are using,..convert the tiff file over to a jpg file at the max resolution and print that. Tiff files are so large if may be overloading the cache in the Xp or in that 130. I have had a 130 for a couple of years for all of my Photography work and I love it.

Try this first,...Make sure you have the 130 set for the correct paper and size and orientation. The preview will tell you if it is going to fit on the paper. I use only Photoshop Elements to control printing on the 130. Are you printing from front load sheet paper or rear roll paper. Since the preview is not showing all of the image this is the clue that you have something set wrong.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by meleon (10/3/12 9:41 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Trigger.

We have been using 130s for a number of years, and have only recently hit this problem on transfer to W7 as the operating system.

Based on your advice, I will re-check the paper size/orientation, but I don't think this is the problem. We print from a rear roll.

Your point on the cache is a good one - I'll try this out.

Many thanks once again.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by jarvxcore (12/18/12 2:49 PM) reply + / -
Hi,

I've been having nothing but trouble with a designjet 130nr and could use some help! It pretty much decides when it wants to work and when it doesn't. It will usually take the paper and run it through really fast without printing, and when I try to print onto the roll it will literally just feed the entire roll through before turning its self off.

Any advice? I can't seem to get anyone at HP to help and it's beginning to affect by business dramatically.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (12/19/12 5:27 AM) reply + / -
Make sure you are using the right slot for the roll. There are 2 slots in the rear, one for sheet feed and the other for roll.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (12/19/12 9:04 AM) reply + / -
jarvxcore,...I've learned a lot about printing on my HP130. I'm lucky since I did not buy the model with the rear feed roller. Having said that I find I have no problems in printing so long as I follow the rules. Now you ask,.."where did you get the rules?" I created them myself since it is virtually impossible to get anyone from HP to ever answer any questions about the HP130 series.

I buy my photo paper in 100' rolls and I cut the paper myself to the size I want to print. I typically print on 24" x 32" canvas size. The key to feeding the paper from the front is that when you cut the paper you "MUST MAKE SURE" that you cut it "SQUARE". If it is off just a little and not inserted straight then the printer will spit it out. I believe the same thing goes with the roll paper. The print scans the front edge and assumes the side is square and if the front edge is not with tolerance it will push it out. Now since I don't have a real roller I have no knowledge if it would push the paper backward or forward.

Some other things you need to be aware of is that the printer will not print as close as 3/16" from either edge or 1/2" from the leading edge no matter what size you tell the printer the paper is or the size of your image.

I totally love this printer and could not be happier with any large format printer other that the HP 130. If you want to ask additional questions just click on my USER ID and send me an email.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Gscott (edited 1/4/13 10:27 AM) reply + / -
hi, i am a student in a drafting class and we have run into problem after problem with the design jet 130nr

printer only prints yellow or black
we have cleaned and replaced tubes, cartriges and printheads(attempted to primetubes)
we also have updated firmware

we only use front manual feed but now is jamming on start with 18X24 heavywieght paper

will jam halfway through print jobs as well

any help would be apreciated

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (1/4/13 5:02 PM) reply + / -
scott,..That is an awful lot of problems for just one post. I have more questions for you than you have for me. So I am sending you this email and when you respond I will be able to provide more information in detail. I will also be able to send you pictures if it is necessary.

When you reply mention the printer model number and a brief list of the problems and I will respond.

Your heavyweight paper may be too heavy. 13Grms/cm is about the max. If you have changed all that you have indicated you will need to purge and re-prime all of the tubes. Since will only print in two colors it is clear that there are still air gaps in the new tubes.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (1/5/13 1:51 PM) reply + / -
What we need to know is if you have replaced the printheads or just cleaned them. If replaced then you probably have an issue with the carriage assembly since the new heads come with ink in them so if they do not print it is not the heads. If you just cleaned the printheads then you need to replace them. There are no setup heads for this system so the priming has to be done with fresh new printheads or it will not work. Since the problem color on this plotter is yellow and yours is printing it has to be the printheads or the carriage assembly.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Gscott (edited 1/7/13 9:40 AM) reply + / -
the model no. is C7719D, it has a paper roll assembly, but we do not use it

thanks for the info, we only cleaned the printheads with the hot water trick mentioned up above
and the tubes we cleaned with an airhose, i am guessing that we shouldnt have done that? also, how do i purge the tubes properly?

i will talk with teacher about ordering new tubes, we have printheads on-hand but wanted to wait and see if we can get it running and save the printheads

the jamming problem occurs on start when paper is fed and either pulls paper in faster on the left side or catches on something on the right side,

we did have an error code that said that the carrige motor had a short or something, but after i restarted, it was fine untill firmware crashed, at which point i upgraded firmware and it worked very well for 5 to 10 18X24 sheets of paper then it began to jam
(with the same paper type that had been working)

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Gscott (1/7/13 10:24 AM) reply + / -
also the paper is .24 to .26 mm thick

it will print a 11X8.5 but at approx4.5in in from right side their is a 1/2in wide spot where the paper was ripped and folded about 1/8in deep

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (1/7/13 8:30 PM) reply + / -
Gscott,... It is a shame that the school would put such a fine printer in the hands of High School kids who could ruin it in one day. The specifications for the printer indicate the maximum support roll or sheet feed paper from the front or the rear is limited to 15mm. Feed from tray 1 of normal paper is limited to 8mm. After reading all of the things you have done to this printer I have no confidence that it will ever work again. Tell that to your teacher.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Gscott (1/9/13 10:53 AM) reply + / -
Trigger, i understand that i might have messed up, but the printer was not printing at all untill i worked on it, it would only print about 1 in 50 attempts, and i nearly had it working, also how does being a high school kid make a difference about causing damage to the printer?

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (1/9/13 7:13 PM) reply + / -
Gscott,...The answer is that you have no experience but rather than ask for help first, you went ahead and took the unit apart changing anything you could find to take out. Changing ink is one thing, removing and cleaning the head is something even trained people rarely try,.. removing cleaning the ink supply tubes is only something a trained Service technicians would do. Doing all of them first without technical support is criminal.

The LABOR cost of a Service Technician to find and fix the problems is more than the printer is worth,..let along the parts cost. This is what you instructor is going to find out and I only hope that in the future if they replace the printer,..they issue firm instructions that Students are limited to "Replacing ink carts",...and nothing more. For goodness sake,..you couldn't even feed the paper correctly.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Gscott (1/9/13 8:57 PM) reply + / -
trigger, i do not have much experencce with printers, however i do have some expperence with circutry and small machinery,
i did not do all things at once, i did one thing, and tested the printer, i defered to the instructor befor attempting anything and he was well aware of what i was doing, using the airhose was also his idea, all i wished to do was examine tubes to accertain if there was blockage, and he suggested that we use a airhose to attempt to clear the tubes

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (1/9/13 9:52 PM) reply + / -
Gscott,... OK,.. I hear you. At this point the only hope for that printer is to find a professional Service Center in your town and see if they will even look at it and give you and estimate to repair it. You can contact HP and ask them if they have a Service Center in your area. Given the current economic climate I'm not sure your school has the funds to buy a new one,..but a couple of years ago you could by a Refurbished HP 130 for about $250 on eBay. Good luck.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Gscott (1/10/13 10:50 AM) reply + / -
trigger, i had gotton it working for a while, but now i am having trouble with something i did not touch, on the back it is jamming up asit tries to go around the main roller feed, can you help

Re: Hp designjet 130 by khs (2/4/13 12:50 PM) reply + / -
My brand new designjet 130 was not printing colors properly. Most notably, the reds did not print. HP sent a service tech who completely replaced the inner workings of the machine. It prints test prints correctly but does not print red in SOME digital files. Sometimes is DOES print. All properties of the images are identical, printed on same paper from same computer. I took the digital file that DID NOT print red to Kinkos and they printed the image with correct colors. Why do some images print correctly and not others. This is happening on MANY of our images in a digital imagery class that I'm teaching, and we cannot figure out what is going on!

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (2/4/13 6:54 PM) reply + / -
khs,... It is clear that your ink systems are screwed up. My suggestion is to get new ink carts. Install the online software help software and get into the maintenance mode. Do a soft printhead cleaning cycle and then print out the color test images and examine them very close. Now compare the results to you know good images.

to: Trigger 1937 by khs (2/5/13 8:41 AM) reply + / -
They are brand new (tested/mailed/dated by HP) and installed by HP technician. They've been cleaned and tested. It's got to be something with the digital file, itself, because it's either all correct or all incorrect. When incorrect, the problems are consistent. It's as if the software doesn't communicate correctly with the printer on only SOME images. I know this sounds crazy but the HP works perfectly every time with some images consistently, and refuses to print other images consistently. Hypotheses welcome!

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (2/5/13 6:20 PM) reply + / -
khs,... Sorry for missing your point. Your first note does not mention that it ever printed anything perfectly. I have seen this problem before and it all depends on what software you are using to print and the type of files you are printing. Some Tiff files are so large the exceed the print buffer and the image gets destroyed before it gets to the printer. It could also be the cache on your PC and the limited memory available. The final think is the buffer size in the print. So Run an experiment printing on plain paper with smaller files or in jpg mode. Make sure you system Cache is larger that the image size you are trying to print. For example if your system cache is on 4GB and the image is 5 GB tiff file then you can be in trouble. The other key think it to make sure your image and paper size are 100% correct including the "Mandatory margins" the printer requires. They are 1/2" leading edge and 3/16" on each side NOT TO BE PRINTED ON".

Re: Re: Hp designjet 130 by khs (2/8/13 12:31 PM) reply + / -
I've got a 300 GB hard drive with 2 GB RAM. The file that prints incorrectly is an 8 MB file. In our art department, we are commonly printing with 100 MB files and larger. The image files that do not print correctly seem to randomly occur - but when they print incorrectly, they print consistenly incorrectly. I just don't get it. It doesn't seem to be the size of the file. I've printed on plain paper with simple programs like Windows Photo Viewer and the images seem better in terms of color correction but the quality is not what we need in the Art Program so that's not a solution for me. Any other thoughts?

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (2/11/13 6:53 PM) reply + / -
khs,.... I'm not the expert and if I could fine ONE of them I would point you there. However, my suggestion is that the software in these printers is not really managed very well. Therefore I suggest that you "Power Down" the printer from time to time and clear the internal cache. I have no evidence this works on the HP but it was always a problem on large format Epson printers. The software never dumps the Cache after printing. Let me know your results since I mostly leave my HP off and only use it when I need to. From time to time I power it on and clean the head and print test pages just to keep the head clean and at 100%.

Re: Re: Hp designjet 130 by khs (2/12/13 8:22 AM) reply + / -
The problem I'm having is that sometimes the images print fine, sometimes they print with incorrect colors. Therefore, it can't be the cache, otherwise wouldn't I have a problem with all images? Plus this is a brand new printer - the HP repair man has been here and verified that it works - and from the first print it was printing incorrectly. Other times it prints right. I've stopped printing completely because it's costing me too much money to produce the bad prints... and I've got several classes of students who need to print! I'm stymied. The HP guy just shrugged his shoulders and said it must be the software: Photoshop CS6. But... the software has ben working until Novemeber! That's how long I've been dealing with this problem! I'm desperate.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (2/12/13 10:54 AM) reply + / -
khs,... I hear you and fell the pain as I was in the same position last year after I had messed with my ink carts. I use Photoshop Elements 6 & 10 and now problems, except as I said you have to have the correct paper size to begin with. I still think some of your problem is with the image size. There is no telling what happens with just part of the buffer overruns. It may have only destroyed the section that controls color???. Are you using the online HP diagnostic tool to Calibrate the colors and the paper together. Do you use that tool to clean the printheads. Did you examine the Tubes from end to end to see if you have air gaps or voids in ink. Have you ever printed only a large color bar chart. I do this every time before I start to print a large image. I am sending you this file as an email and when you reply I will be able to send you the color test images I use. Finally,..when your printer prints the wrong colors, does it start the print with good color and then all of a sudden change the colors, or are the all bad from beginning to end.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Mergatroid (3/8/13 7:19 AM) reply + / -
Sigh. One of out customers who owns a print shop allows his customers to use this machine extensively. They are using a roll. I'm afraid I am not experienced with this model, and so I'm having some problems here.

My boss, who has extensive experience on HP models, is also unable to come up with a solution.

One day a customer was printing a large poster of a house on a hill, and everything was fine. The next day she came back and printed the same picture, but this time the print looked a little faded. The black is more grey, and the colours don't pop like they did.

We have replaced the print heads, and the ink. When I test the unit on mat paper using the high quality setting, it works great. When I use the roll paper or plain paper, the black is grey. We have also reinstalled the firmware.

We have another machine here (a different model with less heads) and it gives us a nice dark black on plain paper.

I have run colour calibrations, and have tried using software to darken down the print (including driver settings), but we can only get decent results using higher quality paper (like mat).

My boss wants to take the machine apart and clean the contacts going to the head assemblies. Personally, I don't think that's the problem but I'm not the one who's experienced at these units.

The test page we're using is a Microsoft Publisher document. I have also been using some pictures printed from the picture and fax viewer in Windows.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to get the images darker, I'm all ears.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (3/8/13 9:40 AM) reply + / -
Megatroid,....I'm note an expert but from what you have said and what you have changed,.. I would suggest printing several large sheets of the color bar test image. My guess is that there are ink gaps in the tubes and the only way to get them out is to totally prime the tubes again. This is normally done for you when you install new heads, as you have already done. You may have not done that using the factory online diagnostic tool. I am also sending you this note as an email and when you reply to my email with an email I will be able to send you the color test bar. I print this on my HP130 before I do major pictures to prove the ink carts can sustain printing in solid colors.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Mergatroid (3/12/13 7:45 AM) reply + / -
trigger

Thanks for the offer. We actually have several colour bar test pages as well as assorted charts from HP, Canon and Brother. We have flushed this machine 'till we had to replace the ink cartridges again. I'm fairly sure there is no air in the tubes, and that they are not clogged.

I am pretty much out of ideas. I have tried all the software solutions I have come across but none of them make the blacks any darker, and some actually make them lighter or tinted. We could replace the formatter board, but personally since I didn't see the machine when it was working properly, I can't say if this would have any effect. We do use the HP diagnostic software for troubleshooting and calibrating.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (3/12/13 8:51 AM) reply + / -
Mergtroid,,,.. Since you have done everything my only suggestion is that the software, such as Photoshop, they use to print is not getting set up right. I make sure that when I use any software to printer, such as Photoshop Elements, I turn Color Management "OFF" and I make sure to preview the image from the B]HP 130 before I print. Since Matt paper works great, I would also check what kind of paper they are using. If the print will do all of the calibration steps and print the diagnostic images correctly, then the only other thing is the Software settings or the paper selection. If nothing else works then use a different software, such as Microsoft Picture Manager, to print test pages.

Re: Hp designjet 130nr by paxcorps (3/18/13 8:59 PM) reply + / -
I have a Designjet 130nr that worked a year ago and after hrs more like 2 days I got desired results and prints. For not being to technical I pushed it to making prints on thick matt
and after 2 great prints lines developed and lost the black replaced black with new cartridge decided to fill magenta and while filling heard 3 beeps. Cannot feed paper yellow flashing light goes on and carriage is locked. Called HP and tech told me need to replace ink assembly. Everytime I feed paper does not engage paper but reboots and assembly will not unlock or move. There are no paper jams. Would like to know where to go from here need help.Thanks

Re: Hp designjet 130 vs. 130r vs. 130nr by Debbers42 (4/10/13 9:08 AM) reply + / -
I have been using an HP Designjet 130nr for the past five years and need to purchase another printer. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 130nr and 130r and 130? I have been very happy with the 130nr, but cannot find a new one for sale. Will I be as satisfied with a 130r or 130? Thank you.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (4/10/13 4:39 PM) reply + / -
Debbeers,... I believe the added suffix is very simple. the "n" stands for a network eithernet built in capability and the "R" indicates the unit comes with the external "ROLL" adapter that attaches to the rear of the printer. I have the basic 130 which has neither and I connect it via the USB port to my PC. I print large photographs but I only use front manual feed and I cut all my image for 200' rolls that I purchase on the internet.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Debbers42 (4/11/13 8:00 AM) reply + / -
Thank you, Trigger. That makes sense and helps a lot.

Re: Hp designjet 130 Feed Issues by wwolfpackerr (4/22/13 6:53 AM) reply + / -
Does anyone know if the Designjet 130 has a "spot"/"optical" sensor on the side of the carriage like most of HP's inkjets manufactured around the same time the 130 was....I've got a 130 that acts like it doesn't see the paper (feeds and then a quick ejection).

Thanks

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (4/22/13 8:02 PM) reply + / -
wolfpack,....The DJ 130 has a very sensitive paper photosensor which measures the alignment and size of the paper. If you paper is not square to within 1/16" then the printer will spit it out. I buy all my photo paper in 200' rolls and I have to cut every sheet. To do this I have a very large cutting mat with ruler marks and this allows me to cut the sheets in perfect square edges. When you feed the paper the easy way to do this is to insert the sheet till it touches the rear stop and then make sure the right edge is flush with the right guide. If your paper is cut square then you will have no problems.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by Nomie (5/7/13 11:14 AM) reply + / -
Did anyone ever figure out the issue with the roll feeder only printing one sheet at a time? This tread was back in 2009/2010.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by wwolfpackerr (5/7/13 12:00 PM) reply + / -
Just a followup to my previous post/question. Turns out that the little slider that covers the spot sensor on side of carriage was broken so that it was not sliding to the open position when the carriage moved therefore the machine was never seeing the paper. I just pulled the cover off so that the sensor is never covered. Should not be a problem because HP never used something like this on previous generation ink jets. If it ain't broke........hope this is helpful

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (5/7/13 5:32 PM) reply + / -
Nomie,...I use my HP130 a lot but I don't have a roll feeder and would probably never use one. Having said that I don't know of any software that can "Batch" print to large format printers. The size of the files are so large I don't think there is a way to load multiple files and I think the printer input buffer has to be dumped after each print. Sorry if I could not help more.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by radon23 (7/13/13 8:00 AM) reply + / -
Am having a problem with printhead calibration after installing a new black print heat, i keep getting a print out with a cross at the bottom, which means a failed calibration. And this has gone on and on without success. What do i need to do to get this fixed, worried i may not be able to print with this printer again yet i have had a ride of a lifetime! Please help.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (7/13/13 8:31 AM) reply + / -
radon,....I am not an expert on the 130 but I would say that you need to check the ALL of the ink carts. The calibration can be affected by any ink not being in the right place at the right time. Make sure they have good ink. You could also remove ALL printheads and clean the bottom of them and make sure there is no globs of dried up ink. Finally I would do the level 1 clean from the on line HP diagnostic and then print a sheet of color test bars. This will also show you that your heads and ink carts can sustain printing solid colors. The color test bar I use contains all 6 colors in pure color.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (7/13/13 9:31 AM) reply + / -
The line with the X is the color that is bad.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by radon23 (7/13/13 9:46 AM) reply + / -
Thanks trigger1937 .... i have cleaned all the printheads not helped but need to do the level 1 clean i hope it works ....Working on a mac, there i little support for mac, i hope i get it working...

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (7/13/13 11:14 AM) reply + / -
Radon,....You can find a 6 color test bar online and print several pages to flush out the ink carts, printheads, and the CISS tubes of any old ink or air. Once you think you have it totally flushed then try the calibration again. Also,...the calibration scanner lazer inside the printer may have some dust or dirt on the sensor or laser. It looks just like the laser sensor in any CD player and if it is dirty you will never get a clean calibration. Use a can of compressed air to blow away all the dirt or paper dust.

Re: Re: Hp designjet 130 by jcm124 (8/8/13 9:39 AM) reply + / -
Do you have the link to the service manual still? Thanks, JCM

Re: Hp designjet 130 by wwolfpackerr (8/8/13 10:04 AM) reply + / -
Do you people even look at previous post? My post will probably fix half the problems posted on this sight about failed calibrations. Whatever!

Re: Hp designjet 130 by adrkehoe (9/3/13 2:53 AM) reply + / -
Hi, I have an HP DesignJet 130nr C7791D with a roll feeder and there does not seem to be any power. The power cable is checked and fine. There is an amber light on the roll feeder and a green light on the network card but no power light or anything on the display.

Can someone help me with this as quickly as possible please. Where would I find a service manuals etc for this printer.

Thanks

Re: Hp designjet 130 by adrkehoe (9/3/13 2:54 AM) reply + / -
Hi, I have an HP DesignJet 130nr C7791D with a roll feeder and there does not seem to be any power. The power cable is checked and fine. There is an amber light on the roll feeder and a green light on the network card but no power light or anything on the display.

Can someone help me with this as quickly as possible please. Where would I find a service manuals etc for this printer.

Thanks

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (9/3/13 9:18 AM) reply + / -
adrkehoe,....I assume you have the basic owners manual for the printer. There is no power what so ever for the rear paper feed as it is all loaded manually. The manual shows the instructions on how to setup and install a roll. The leading edge of the roll MUST be straight and square with the printer or it will be rejected. Once you insert the paper from the rear, if it is aligned correctly you should here a BEEP and then the paper will be fed in and registered and the ROLL symbol will appear on the display. You should then be ready to set the paper settings in the PC.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (9/3/13 9:38 AM) reply + / -
adrkehoe,...One more suggestion for you. I considered the Roll adapter when I purchased my HP 130 but decided against it. My office was already too small for such a large printer so it backs up against a wall and is very difficult to move. It would be a real pain in the @&E$##%# to even try a roll feeder.

So I buy my paper in 100' rolls and I cut it VERY CAREFULLY to make sure I keep it square and I cut 5 or 6 sheets to the max size I typically print on (24 x 33) which leaves me a little margin to trim the final image. Feeding from the front is so easy that I am very happy I never wasted the money on a roll feeder.

However, if you have the room and if you print in larger volume and more often then I can see the advantage.

Re: Re: Hp designjet 130 by GuyT (9/9/13 10:51 AM) reply + / -
Any chance of a few photos (or even better a youtube video) of how you did all this? Yes, I have the dreaded no yellow issue too!

Re: Hp designjet 130 by adrkehoe (9/9/13 2:02 PM) reply + / -
Hi All, Thanks for your replies. I have changed the power supply and everything works perfect now..... Issue resolved.... Faulty Power supply.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (9/9/13 2:42 PM) reply + / -
Guy,...What kind of ink carts are you using. Do you have the HP online Service support software installed. If so you can use it to do a much better cleaning on all colors. Then I would print a color test chart. I will send you this note and when you send me back your email reply I will be able to send you the color test chart and more instructions.

Re: Re: Hp designjet 130 by CBPetrovic (2/6/14 5:26 AM) reply + / -
Designjet130nr printing problems, pretty much shows all the symptoms
that have been mentioned in this thread... I am pretty sure that mine is an ink delivery problem.

So, how does one go about forcing a priming if you don't have printheads that haven't already been primed?

Looking at the supply tubes, I can see what looks like bubbles in the lines.

I also have a designjet500, and in that printer's service manual, there's a supply tube priming sequence that uses "setup" printheads. These are simply reservoirs, no electrical contacts, just a pin that engages the supply port in the carriage. And so when the process has completed, each of the tanks in the cartridge has an amount of ink, showing the user that the tubes have been successfully primed.

Searching the internet for "setup printheads" for the DJ130 has revealed nothing, so I am at a loss as to what to do next, seeing as I don't want to spend 6X$??? for new printheads on a hunch.

Ideas anyone?

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (2/6/14 9:59 AM) reply + / -
CBPetrovic,...I assume you have the software and the ability to access the HP online maintenance Service for the HP 130. I don't know if you just buy your own ink or refill the ink carts,..but for me,...ink is cheap. so my suggestions is to use the HP Service tool and clean the heads and use the hard cleaning function. Before you do that I would also remove the each printhead and clean any excess ink off of the bottom. Then I would fold a paper towel into 1/4 size and wet it with hot water and the wring out more that half of the water. Now spread the towel out to 1/4 size and blot the head in 6 to 8 places and check that you are getting good ink flow.

Once that is done I would start printing on plain paper a color test image that is just a series of color bars of each ink color. If you don't have one you can send me a short reply to this note and I'll send you the one I use on my 130 printer. Print this test pattern after you have finished the Head cleaning operation. What this process is doing is a much slower version of "Priming" the heads. After you have printed several test pages see if you are still getting streaks or faded colors on each print or if they are getting better. Gradually the CIS ink tubes will fill back up and push the air bubbles out of the tubes. ONE VERY IMPORTANT ITEM IS "MAKE SURE YOU START OFF WITH VERY GOOD INK CARTS THAT CAN SUPPLY THE INK AS YOU GO. If any of the ink carts can't maintain the ink they will just inject more air bubbles and you will be back to where you started.

Yes this may use a lot of ink but that is exactly what "Priming" does. In the beginning those ink tubes (very long) are empty so you can imagine just how much ink it will take to fill the tubes and the heads. That is why I refill my own ink carts so I know I have plenty of ink.

Re: Re: Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (2/6/14 3:17 PM) reply + / -
Here is what I do. I get a syringe, remove the printhead, stick the needle where the printhead pin goes in front and draw ink from the ink cartridge. The printer can be off when you do this. Keep drawing until all air pockets in the tube are gone. Works for me all the time. Do not worry about using ink from the cartridge so it will run out before the machine knows it is empty because the cartridge also has a bag at the bottom that the supply station presses against and knows if the cartridge is out of ink even if the chip says it has ink.

Re: Hp designjet 130 Print Quality Totally OFF by VALYOURPAL (2/8/14 2:05 PM) reply + / -
Unlike you poor folks - this printer has been pretty reliable until the New Year! HP130 is printing a beautiful 13X19 on heavy paper and then the next one red/pink; let it sit a day another beautiful print (or two) then another red/pink.
ALL TEST have "seal of approval" pass.
Cleaned print heads and replaced all catridges.
Any ideas? Very frustrating.
It prints fine one minute and awful on the next.
We did upgrade to Windows 7 (last year) and update to Adobe 10 but I do not believe it is software - I have gone into Adobe and dug in to try letting Adobe handle and then letting printer.
Feels like more of a manual issue - bought it new in 2009 so it is (5) years old - I suspect something is clogged/dirty.
I also suspect as usual it is set to "act up"!
Please help, VAL

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (2/8/14 3:12 PM) reply + / -
Valyourpal,...This may sound really dump to you but it is worth a try. I think your problem is the buffer for the Hp 130 and that you are using very large files. Turn off the computer and turn off the printer but don't unplug it. This will clear the internal buffer in the HP 130. I've seen them get corrupt when too large of files are loaded or files are printed back to back.

If as if you say that everything is fine with the head and the ink are good then the only thing you did not say you check was the print quality from the HP online Maintenance Service panel. This will print everything you need to see if your inks and head are OK.

If you want to good color bar test pattern to print,...send me an email and I'll send you the one I use.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (2/15/14 10:17 AM) reply + / -
I have finally come up against a problem I've never seen before. I was in the process of refilling the ink tanks,..which I have done before without any problems. Anyway after the refilled ink carts were installed I ran a soft head cleaning and then printed the image Quality test,..which came out exactly as it has for the last year.

I was then getting ready to print another document and all of a sudden the printer came up with an error on the display of 2210 which according to the manual is Cartridge Station error. When I opened it back up and removed the ink carts I discovered that ink had leaked out of the small Cyan and Magenta onto the contacts below. The seal I had put back did not hold so I have cleaned and fixed all of that but the error will not go away. My only option now seems to be to remove the entire ink station. I have the manual which shows in detail how to do that but what is bothering me is I'm having a hard time imagining why HP would design anything that would have electronics below the ink startion that could be damaged by leaking ink. Didn't they think that ink would ever leak. I know the contacts for each ink cart could get ink on them and I've cleaned all of that but I'm wonder what could be below that could be damaged by wet ink. In my cramped office area it is going to be a chore to take things apart.

I would appreciate any information or experience you have in this area.

Trigger

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (2/15/14 1:33 PM) reply + / -
I answered your personal email to me. Keep in mind the error is a service station error and relates to the printheads and not the cartridges. It is the station which sits behind the ink delivery assembly in the front.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (2/15/14 5:31 PM) reply + / -
DMZ,...Thanks for the info. Your information is extremely important as I was putting all of my effort into the Ink Station and not the Service Station,...which as you have pointed out is where the heads are kept. I will double check that i have not screwed something up with the head since i had also just removed and cleaned several of them.

In my image quality test there is one section on the middle left where it only prints 8 small squares,..each one is supposed to be only 1/2 inch of the full nozzle set for each color,..but the Black section is printed 3 times and I assume it is just 3 tests of the same thing. The important item about that test is the it is the only test of just pure nozzle pattern whereas the other test seem to be saturated colors.

For mine I can set that there is one or more nozzles in the photo cyan and the Magenta that are not printing and just leave blank lines. however the rest of the image quality look great since it is very heavy printing.

Thanks again for you info and I will let you know what I find.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (2/15/14 5:56 PM) reply + / -
To be honest by your description you may have a bad black printhead. Most times when these heads go you have to replace. Maybe 1 out of 20 I am able to get going good again using the hot water trick. Heat water to coffee or tea temp and place the head in the water for at least 2 minutes. When done blot on a paper towel to see if you get two complete lines of ink. If you do you may be in luck. If you do not, then the head needs to be replaced. Good Luck.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (2/15/14 6:29 PM) reply + / -
DMZ,...I'm glad to hear you suggest that water cleaning since that is what I have already done before all of this happened. After I had done that I was still able to do a head cleaning and print a Image Quality test. Every printhead put out two full rows of nozzle ink and each was clearly not clogged. I was hoping the water trick would clear up the one nozzle in each head that was not printing. It was after that and the next day when I went you use the printer I got the 2210. It's beginning to look like that error comes up with ANY condition in the carriage. It is almost like the 6A00 error in Canon printers when some kind of jam won't allow the carriage to move properly.

Just last week I had my first paper jam on this printer and it could be that a tiny bit found its way into the service station. So i am still anxious to find a way to move the carriage by hand and get it out of the way. I know all of the tricks for Canon printers but not this printer. I guress i have really been lucky as I have never had any problem with it before.

If you think it is a bad head,..if I removed that head and did a total reset to you think the 2210 would go away and come up with another indicator on the display that shows one head is missing. If I remove all head,..should it power on with a different error. To me the error comes on so quick as if the mechanism can't move something and the error is almost immediate.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (2/15/14 6:51 PM) reply + / -
I doubt it is a bad head causing the carriage to not move. Remove all the heads from the carriage, place some paper in the cover open sensor at the top back left side of the right cover so you can observe the carriage movement when you turn on the plotter. If the carriage moves to the left, then just unplug the power cord when it moves to the left and it will be free and then you have access to the service station to see if there is an obstruction or whatever causing the error. If the carriage is indeed stuck over the service station which I really do not think is the case since you would get another error for carriage movement before you get the service station error, then you will have to remove the top cover to gain access and attempt to find what is preventing the carriage from moving. Odds are the carriage is moving, but when it returns to the service station for the station to clean the printheads, the station does not move and is the reason you get the error.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (2/15/14 7:07 PM) reply + / -
My mistake the 22:10 is the ink supply station which for you is a very bad situation. There are electrical connection in the form of a circut board which they have to have in order to read the cartridge chips and control the plungers for each cartridge. I do not think hp still carries the part and even if they do it will be very expensive. Below is a link to a place that seems to have it at a reasonable price.

http://www.print4everexpress.com

Re: Re: Hp designjet 130 by CBPetrovic (2/19/14 10:23 AM) reply + / -
So, this is what I've learned.

As I now know, there's a little oval plastic button that apparently presses on a rubber bladder in the ink tanks. This is what effectively pumps the ink from the cartridge to the head. Seems that the persons prior to me mucking around with the printer decided to acquire refillable cartridges, and these don't have the little bladder. How they ever worked at all is a mystery to me, however, I think that capillary action and siphon-like action kept the printer going.

I have, while troubleshooting, taken out the supply tubes, purged each color with warm water and reinstalled into the printer. Also I discovered the original HP ink cartridges still had some ink, and so installed them. One color, yellow, causes the display to blink, and I got around that by removing the chip from the refillable tank and replacing the OEM tank's chip with that. Same thing for the light cyan, although the indicator showed that the tank was empty.

Manually purged the lines using a hypodermic syringe and am now trying the get the printheads to see the ink. Black is striped, light and dark cyan, and yellow are printing, magenta is absent.

It is now printing a test pattern of blocks of color in at attempt to purge the supply tubes and heads.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by VALYOURPAL (2/21/14 11:04 AM) reply + / -
Guys,
Okay I did the turn off printer and computer. I performed the image quality test (5) times in a row. The quality test appear to be fine? Go back to print - print the image and same thing it starts to print the correct color then 1/3 to 1/2 way through a 13 X 19 it starts printing only red/pink/tones - no blue or green. It is really getting on my nerves. Any specific other ideas. I have read all your replies to each other since my original post and none of those seem to fit my issue. I don't have much time to spend on this darn printer so thus I am not responding daily but rather when it climbs back to the top of my list. It prints black/white - awesome but guess what I don't need a 3' long heavy paperweight! Any other suggestions will be most appreciated. Val

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (2/21/14 7:55 PM) reply + / -
This is a typical reaction when the tubes supplying the ink have air pockets so the printhead does not get replenished completely as the job is being printed. You need to get a hypo, remove the cyan printhead and stick the needle of the hypo into the front rubber piece that the pin of the printhead goes into. Draw some ink to make sure you get a constant flow of ink into the hypo. Do it a couple of times to remove any air in the tubes. You will probably need to replace the head since it now has pockets of air inside.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by CBPetrovic (2/22/14 7:35 AM) reply + / -
Did that. Pulled a couple of CCs out to ensure there were no bubbles in the tubes...

Is there no way to purge the air from the printheads?

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (2/22/14 1:13 PM) reply + / -
Nope.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by CBPetrovic (2/22/14 2:41 PM) reply + / -
Well, foo.

Next question, does anyone reading this thread have any used, but still functional printheads for a Designjet130?

:-)

Re: Hp designjet 130 by dmzcompute (2/22/14 8:23 PM) reply + / -
You can still purchase new ones from hp or other sources. They are not that expensive.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (2/28/14 2:50 PM) reply + / -
To DMZ and to all that helped,..even a little. This is a long note but it will be important information for anyone that owns the HP Designjet 130 Printer.

The good news is that I finally have my Hp 130 backup and running as good as ever. In my posts above I had mentioned that I had refilled my ink carts and the very next day I got a 22:10 error just as soon as I powered on the printer. This error is an "Ink Station Error". After working with DMZ I went ahead and took the printer apart down to the ink station where I found that one of the seals in the Cyan ink cart had failed and there was a lot of that ink all over everything. I cleaned it up and removed the logic card and rinsed the ink off of that and I use some alcohol to remove the ink off of the connectors. After re-connecting everything it still produced the 22:10 error. I check the continuity of all the cables and connections on the little card and found several open connections which I repaired. Still got the same error.

DMZ recommend that I buy a new Ink Station from a good place that still carries HP parts and they had one so I ordered it. Since I still had the printer all apart it was easy to install the new Ink Station and it FAILED immediately with the same error condition. I had installed all of the new ink station except for the new cable they shipped because it was tied up under a metalic shield over the logic board and I felt it was too much additional work to take that apart just for a small cable. So I went ahead and took it apart and installed the new cable with the new INK STATION and it all worked fine.

Being an Electrical Engineer I tend to never give up so I went and tested each and every connection in the old cable. The problem turned out to be that the ink had saturated the internal contacts of the connector and therefore the signals were not getting to the logic board. So I cleaned the connector on the old cable and tested it again with the new INK STATION and it all worked fine. So that was the answer, the ink had stopped the electrical connection of one or more pins sending signals to the logic board and the diagnostics failed.

Of course if I had never ordered the new INK STATION I would have never found the problem. I had taken every other cable off and clean it but because the large one was difficult to get off I never cleaned it. One cleaning fixed the problem.

I hope this is a lesson learned for all. In the mean time I have replaced all of the ink fill plugs with top quality plugs and I am confident they will be fine. Some people feel it is not worth the problems to refill your own ink and that there are dozens of places to purchase low cost ink carts. My problem is I sell a lot of Photographs and I use only the best ink which I can only buy in bulk. I have also been repairing and maintain Canon printers since 2005 and have refilled the ink on over 40 different models including HP and Epson printers. My ink mistake this time was just plain "Carelessness" and I paid for it. I hope this information helps someone else.

Re: Hp designjet 130 by trigger1937 (3/26/14 7:52 PM) reply + / -
Problems continue. Just when I thought the new ink station had fixed all the problems things went south again. I started to print my normal diagnostic tests and the more I printed the worse it got. I then printed a Image quality test and saw that most of the Photo Magenta had faded out and half of the C2 block was mixed colors. I opened the top cover and inspected the CISS tubes and saw that there were "Air Gaps" in almost every color. This means that nothing was ever going to print correctly. Somewhere in the process of swapping out the ink supply station and refilling all of the ink carts "AIR" got into the tubes and this kills the ability to print anything.

I was at a loss of what to do so again I contacted DMZ and he told me how to clean out the air in the tubes. I was not able to give this a try since it can get complex and I was going away for several weeks and waited till I got home. I'm happy to tell you that I followed his instructions and cleaned all of the air gaps out of all colors. Now the printer is back to 99% ability and I can print excellent photos again. My image quality is not at 100% yet so I still have things to work on but I am very happy to be as good as it is. Thanks one more time to DMZ.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters