fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200 by HR (1/3/07 1:14 PM) reply + / -
I own an Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer and I am trying to remove and clean the waste pad. I can see the ink buildup and was told I need to remove the pad and wash out the existing ink that is clogging the pad.

Unfortunately, I do not know the procedure for opening the waste pad cover and cleaning the pad. Can you help me?

Thanks,
Howard

Re: Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200 by Wes (1/3/07 2:50 PM) reply + / -
Start here: http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/r200.html the photos are fairly big so it may take some time to load some of the pages.

Re: Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200 by Lynell (2/6/07 3:14 PM) reply + / -
Has someone out there actually changed the waste pad recently? I've downloaded the service manual & disassembly information for the R200 and I am lost!!!! I have changed wastepads before but man-- our national security and border control could learn a thing or two from these printer companies about making things secure from getting into. Yikes! I have the sides and top encasement off and have no clue on what they are talking about from there as I look into the belly of the beast. Doesn't help that the diagram details aren't that large when they get printed out. I really want to save this printer to use for emergency photos out of my photo studio and hate to throw away something just because its cheaper and easier to buy new than to have it fixed -- comes from having depression-era parents. BTW - the reset hasn't worked on this printer. I get the dreaded "printer off or some other problem" message. Am I better off letting it die?

Thanks.
Lynell

Re: Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200 by mcprinter (2/6/07 3:40 PM) reply + / -
Lynell,

There is a service manual and genuine (I think) Epson reset software on www.eserviceinfo.com
Search for r200

Rather than replacing the pads, another option would be to catch the waste ink in a container.

Good for you trying to fix it rather than just binning it.

Re: Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200 by David, UK (2/6/07 3:56 PM) reply + / -
This is the link to the SSC Utility:- http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html

If there is a language option, select English.
When downloaded and installed, Right Click on the icon in your taskbar and select "Show Main Window". Select "Configuration" and then in BOTH boxes ---- the main list and also Installed Printers ---- select your printer model. With the printer on you can then select "Ink Monitor" and view the levels if you wish, otherwise Close the window, Right click again on the icon and select "Protection Counter", "Show Current Value". This will show both the current and maximum values. Click OK to quit without change. If you wish to reset it, go back through "Protection Counter" and "Reset Protection Counter", A message will prompt about replacing the waste ink pads. Remember, the pads should be changed or washed, dried, and refitted or they "may" eventually overflow through the bottom / lower sides of the printer casing. You will see there are quite a few useful tools in this little utility including cleaning only the black OR colour nozzles, but remember that if you have more than one printer the one you wish to work on must be "Set as Default" in "Printers & Faxes".

Re: Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200 by David, UK (2/6/07 4:14 PM) reply + / -
I haven't worked on a R200 but if it is anything like the 1280 / 1290 :-
With the top casing removed,look on the flat metal plate above the output tray in front of the output feed "pizza wheels" and look for a hole with a screw below it which secures the top of the waste ink tank to the tank. Remove that screw and slide out the tank top although it may need some of the casing taking off to do that and the tank top securing lugs easing away. Look for another hole in the plate, most likely to the right of the first one, and another screw deeper down which goes into a lug of the tank base. Remove that screw. Look to the right end of the tank, inside the main end casing, for a hooked lug from the tank. Gently lever the lug off its location. At the left end of the tank, inside the main end casing,look for 2 lugs which appear into that area and have a thin plate wedged beneath them. Lever out that thin plate. The waste tank should now be free to withdraw.

Re: Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200 by Jeanine (6/16/08 8:49 AM) reply + / -
All I got was error messages no matter what I did and all the instructions you gave "With the top casing removed,look on the flat metal plate above the output tray in front of the output feed "pizza wheels" and look for a hole with a screw below it which secures the top of the waste ink tank to the tank. Remove that screw and slide out the tank top although it may need some of the casing taking off to do that and the tank top securing lugs easing away. Look for another hole in the plate, most likely to the right of the first one, and another screw deeper down which goes into a lug of the tank base. Remove that screw. Look to the right end of the tank, inside the main end casing, for a hooked lug from the tank. Gently lever the lug off its location. At the left end of the tank, inside the main end casing,look for 2 lugs which appear into that area and have a thin plate wedged beneath them. Lever out that thin plate. The waste tank should now be free to withdraw."

I just said, screw it. I'll buy another--but I think that Epson should be sued for this crap because they are basically building a fail into their product with NO SUPPORT or easy way to access the problem! Anyone up for a class action lawsuit?

Re: Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200 by orvis (2/17/09 10:22 AM) reply + / -
Don't bother trying to disassemble your R200 just install a waste ink tank (tricks-collecetions.com)and use the ssc utility (available to download on same site) to reset your counters. (worked for me).

Re: Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200 by Jeanine (2/17/09 11:03 AM) reply + / -
Thanks--I've thrown that Epson away, but will use your suggestion next time!

I still think they should be sued.

Re: Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200 by Anonymous (2/17/09 11:32 AM) reply + / -
Try looking at this logically. Without the protection counter the printer will start to spill ink out onto your desk. It is a pain but what it worse? a printer that stops befor ink can start to leak from the ptinter or having ink leaking on everything?

Re: Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200 by websnail (2/17/09 11:52 AM) reply + / -
Couple of things..

1. Ignoring the waste ink in your computer after the counter has been reset is like covering a timebomb with a pretty cloth and hoping it'll go away... OOps!

2. Taking your printer apart to get at the waste ink pads is unduly messy and can, because of the way your printer is designed and calibrated, cause it to lose gross alignment (not the fine alignment your printer can correct).

Much smarter, quicker and easier to install an external waste ink kit/tank of some description. Home brewed or one of the ones that is available for the "hold my hand" types :)

All the info you need on various models is available here:
http://www.continuousink.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

Re: Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200 by orvis (2/18/09 1:40 AM) reply + / -
Firstly many thanks to all who replied to myself.

I agree with all the comments regarding reseting the counter and not changing the ink pads.

To clarify my original post;

1) I installed an external waste ink tank (mine is the top off a shaving foam aerosol can) following the instructions given at tricks-collections.com

2)I also downloaded (following a link) from the same site the ssc epson utility program and used this to reset the counter.

The above procedure worked for me. The ink pads were not touched and are still in the printer I assume they will eventually dry out.

Hope this proves helpful.

Re: Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200 by NRCockerill (12/12/11 7:22 AM) reply + / -
I'm back and forth to Rotterdam a lot regarding my Son and very busy.

Could anyone tell me how to get my Epson R200 going again - it currently has two Red Flashing Lights and refuses to print, informing it can not longer be serviced, even though serviced about a month again after a different Epson Message informing the printer needed to be replaced.

Look forward to hearing from anyone as soon as possible.

Yours Faithfully
Norman R Cockerill Ass.CG.Inst.
+44 (0) 789 501 8263 England.

Re: Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200 by KeithSr (7/27/14 3:11 AM) reply + / -
I installed a external waste ink tank but without being able to turn on the printer nothing is flowing into the waste ink tank. As soon as I turn on the printer back comes the #%@$ blinking lights. Epson should have included a external ink tank to begin with. A simple tube ported out the back or side of the printer and enclosed a plastic reusable bottle to collect the waste ink. All of these waste ink problems would never taken place to begin with. I wonder if simply pouring some denatured alcohol onto the waste ink pad would thin the ink and allow it to evaporate. It may be messy but not as much by putting the printer in a cardboard box with an old bath towel under the printer to catch any overflow?

Re: Cleaning waste pad on Epson R200 by KeithSr (7/28/14 12:49 AM) reply + / -
Yesterday I had almost given up hope. Then I finally found the solution we have all been looking for. HERE IT IS, follow the instructions for making a external waste container. The instructions for the external waste container can be found on You Tube under Epson R200 or whatever your model may be. After you install the external waste container, download the SSC utility. This utility is free, and the newest version works well with windows 7. Run the SSC install file. After SCC is installed load the program. You will notice three tabs, on the left tab it says Ink Monitor. The center tab says configuration. Enter your problem printer and the printer model. After you enter those two pieces of information check Start utility at windows startup and check Enable independent monitor. NOW RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. After your computer is up, look down and to your right at the system tray. You will see a new ICON that looks like a printer. Right click your new printer ICON and a list of utilities will pop up. ONLY after you have installed your new waste container select (Protection Counter). when the protection counter sub menu pops out click on (Reset Protection Counter), a dialog will open and the dialog will ask you if you have replaced the waste ink pads, click on yes for your answer. If you do not see any ink flowing into your new waste container do the following, Take the clear tubing out of it's container and place it in your mouth and gently suck on the tube. You will see ink starting to enter the tube. DO NOT SUCK any INK into YOUR MOUTH, it is poison. As soon as you see any ink starting into the tubing replace the tube back into the waste ink bottle. Your printer will start working as brand new. I TRIED EVERYTHING THE INTERNET HAD TO OFFER FOR THREE VERY LONG DAYS, I MEAN INTO THE WEE HOURS OF THE MORNING BEFORE I DISCOVERED WHAT I HAVE INSTRUCTED YOU TO DO ABOVE. ps. Many people on the Internet had the right info. but all of them left some little procedure out of their instructions. I know my instructions are very long but please follow them to the letter or you will just be wasting your time.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters