fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Brother HL-2040 stops when toner low

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Brother HL-2040 stops when toner low by bgood1127 (12/4/06 10:54 PM) reply + / -
Does anyone know how to override the HL-2040 when the toner gets low so I can keep printing? The printer still prints perfectly and there is no reason for me to buy a new cartridge just yet. Thanks!

Re: Brother HL-2040 stops when toner low by jwooden5941 (3/3/07 8:19 AM) reply+2 + / -
Take a look at this thread:

"Brother toner cartridge low toner override"

Let me know if either of the fixes there work fo you?

Jim

Re: Brother HL-2040 stops when toner low by Bdempsey813 (11/25/07 5:41 PM) reply + / -
Remove toner cartridge and, using black electrical tape, cover the two holes on each side (on the inside)of the drum assembly where the sensor shines into the toner cartridge.

Re: Brother HL-2040 stops when toner low by LadyMacbeth (9/25/08 9:36 AM) reply + / -
Covering the two holes totally works. New York and California just filed suit against Brother for this consumer ripoff.

Re: Brother HL-2040 stops when toner low by kim07 (9/25/08 7:32 PM) reply + / -
Maybe it's the way of Brother to let you buy ink even if there is still ink in your cartridge that still can be used. You might want to try Epson or HP printers which to my experience, allows usage of its ink even if its very low quantity.

Kim - Proud Writer for http://www.allprinterreviews.com/epson-3800.html

Re: Re: Brother HL-2040 stops when toner low by Anonymous (9/26/08 12:17 PM) reply + / -
There are some lame people here! A toner low message means just that, the toner is low and letting you know you can still print fine, just be ready with a new one when you get toner empty down the road.

Re: Brother HL-2040 stops when toner low by tbstock (10/3/08 10:10 PM) reply + / -
I first covered just the sensor eye on the cartridge opposite the reset gear with black tape and got a few hundred additional pages. When the toner light came on again and would not allow me to continue to print, I put tape over the sensor on the reset gear side of the cartridge AND over the sensor eye on the printer. Tape in three places and I am back in business with the print quality as good as ever.

Lame people here? Where? Oh, he must be talking about the lame people at Staples buying needless replacement cartridges! Because, of course, it would be completely lame to REFILL for a few dollars! Moron!

Re: Re: Re: Brother HL-2040 stops when toner low by Anonymous (11/19/08 2:31 PM) reply + / -
no, you idiot - the printer prevents you from printing, even when there's toner left. THAT's why this is such a problem for Brother printert owners. YOU are lame, my friend.

Re: Brother HL-2040 stops when toner low by nivek (11/19/08 4:41 PM) reply + / -
The only lame person on this thread is the person who wants to pick on others and doesnt have the guts to post his or her name. Wow that must take real balls why dont you give us your name and number so we can tell you what we think of you ruining this post for others. If you dont have anything nice to say dont say it at all.

Re: Brother HL-2040 stops when toner low by Anonymous (4/25/09 3:21 PM) reply + / -
Covering the two holes worked for me too and it's a good thing to check before thinking of buying a new toner or trying something else. Also i personally don't think that brother did this on purpose, i really think they were trying to make a smart toner checker, the only problem i see is that maybe it is NOT that well calibrated. I guess they need to work on it some more .... let's just give them the feedback and a chance to make it better before we go to court.

PS: i am not a brother employee :D

Re: Brother HL-2040 stops when toner low by tk55 (4/25/09 4:03 PM) reply + / -
i'm not a brother employee too. i just fix printers.

i agreed with the person above that brother didn't do that on purpose. but, they're just being stupid :)

warning the user that toner is running low is good. but stopping the machine is silly.

with the cartridge still able to produce hundreds of perfect copies after it was supposely low, i can't blame ppl for getting red eyes.

if you said it was just an oversight by brother, then why the hell they still keep doing it model after model?

the toner detection method might not be perfect, but it's just a firmware change to correct the stopping problem, no?

Re: Brother HL-2040 stops when toner low by farb (4/27/09 3:57 PM) reply + / -
Firmware upgrades are good. ;)

Re: Brother HL-2040 stops when toner low by jrip625 (4/30/09 9:18 AM) reply + / -
The black tape strategy works well! I have an HL-1440 whose first symptom was that it would simply stop printing after three pages. No indicator lights. So I would turn it off and on. Then it would print the remaining item(s) in the queue. Next it would only print one page before needing to be turned off and on. Then it stopped responding altogether -- AND NEVER a clue from the LED indicators about low toner, etc. Thanks to the black tape, we're back in business!

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters