fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

brother mfc 7420 toner life end message

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by mas54 (4/10/06 7:26 AM) reply+4 + / -
Is there a way to tell my printer to continue printing when the empty toner message is displayed? I'm 30 miles from a store to get a replacement. thanks

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by gelsystem (1/13/07 7:57 AM) reply + / -
hi! i have the same problem.......the toner is full but it always says to replace it.........thanks

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by sndckd (4/9/07 10:02 PM) reply + / -
I put a refilled cartridge in and it still says Toner Life End and won't print. I've unplugged and restarted, removed drum and cartridge and reinstalled --and it still says same thing and won't print or scan! When I try to scan it says check cable. It will send faxes. This is the third time I've replaced the cartridge (with a refill) and the other times I had no problems at all.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by sndckd (4/9/07 10:04 PM) reply + / -
I've got the toner life end message too and can't get rid of it and it won't print--what do I do?

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by sue o (4/9/07 10:26 PM) reply-2 + / -
There is a small flag on the left side of the cartridge that must be reset in order to trip a lever inside the printer to let it know that the cartridge has been replaced. You can defeat the door interlock switch and manually reset the lever inside the machine or start using a quality remanufactured toner cartridge from a reliable refiller. I am always puzzeled when people give their hard earned money to companies that sell them a product, that product doesn't work right, and then post here to ask someone to help them fix their cartridge problem for free! How come you don't go back to the company that you actually gave money to and ask them? Just a rhetorical question-I really do not actually expect any answers.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by sndckd (4/9/07 11:06 PM) reply + / -
Thanks and I did ask Cartridge World what to do and they couldn't tel me--they tried tho

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by yoog (5/12/07 3:23 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem with MFC-7420 this morning. Here is what I did and message is gone.

1) Pull out the cartridge and look on the right side of the it. You will see a small hole that has a glass like window in side (round window).

2) Turn off MFC-7420

3) Cover the hole on cartridge with a duct or a piece of paper. Basically block.

4) Replace the cartride back in the printer and turn on the printer.

5) The message should be gone and you should be able to use the copier functionality.

It worked perfectly.

What an unethical practice Brother is follwoing? They want us to spend more moey buying their cartridge unnecessarily.....

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by johnpb (5/28/07 3:28 PM) reply + / -
If printer displays "Toner Life End" after installing new cartridge, open front cover, press 'Option' button, then key *00 on the keypad. This resets the device so it knows it has had a new cartridge.

this will reset toner counter on a lot of brother printers good luck

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by scottwlb (10/11/07 12:12 PM) reply + / -
The recommendation to open door and key in *00 worked for me. I didn't have to try the other tricks suggested. In answer to the question about asking this forum instead of the manufacturer, it's because I can find an answer here. I can never find one on corporate web sites.
Thanks for the help.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (1/15/08 1:49 PM) reply + / -
A sanity saver. Thanks for sharing!

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by ivankrivodol (2/14/08 11:55 PM) reply + / -
I cannot find button "OPTION" on the panel. Where I find this button. I send link to picture for this pannel. Please, show me this button. My e-mail is ivan1959@abv.bg Thank You. Picture is there: http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3903/mfc7420hf2.jpg

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by rsgparis (2/21/08 5:03 AM) reply + / -
I have a "dust" message. I've cleaned hundred of times the corona wire, changed the cartridge, and nothing good :-(
Called Brother : they don't know.......

Somehone to help me.

Thx a lot

Richard from Paris France

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (3/4/08 3:35 AM) reply + / -
left of display under word copy is the option butten

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by vindelf (4/5/08 7:12 PM) reply + / -
Entering *00 with door open did not work for me (on my 7420), but covering the hole on the right side of the cartridge did work. Thanks to everyone who posted.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by serjey (4/25/08 8:09 AM) reply + / -
ok.... i have a brother mfc-8660DN.... i have tryed all the things on here exept the *00... cant find the menu thing.... can someone please help me figure out how to fix this problem.

when i put the cartredge in it dose some noise then sais: "toner life end"

and i dont know how to fix this, all the things i have tryed dont work.... :( i think that i am going to buy a different printer....

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by pavelious (4/28/08 11:19 AM) reply + / -
I had to reply to you guys and thank you for your advice.

I had my toner refilled and upon installing it, I still received the End Toner Life message.

I called Brother and they literally read their guarantee to me. They were of no help and the first rep was treating as if I was an idiot.

I have three Brother printers, if any of them ever break, I will buy other brands, never again Brother.

Thank you all for being involved.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (4/29/08 8:11 AM) reply + / -
ok this isent much help but thats what they told me in brother costumer suport.... put in the original cartredge.... i went to the store and bought a new printer.... the same kind i have... opend it up and put the cartridge into mine.... and it started working.... heres the funny part.... after puting in the original.... i put my old one in that i have been trying to get too work.... and gess what.... it worked with that too...

soo... to fix the problem put the original cartrege in....

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by iandy (5/6/08 8:07 AM) reply + / -
Any Ideas on a Brother MFC 8420 - same problem?

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (5/6/08 8:20 AM) reply + / -
It worked for me. Thanks. I was thinking of remplacing the machine. I just saved a couple of hundred dolloars.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Pavelious (5/6/08 8:21 AM) reply + / -
For me, putting the black tape on both ends of the printer worked.
You have to take the toner out and look inside the printer for a little whole with a glass-like cover, put the tape on this. There is another one on the opposite side and I did the same to it and it worked for me.

I'm assuming all the Brother machines have this same setup.

Good luck.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (5/6/08 9:33 AM) reply + / -
It worked for me. Thanks. I was thinking of remplacing the machine. I just saved a couple of hundred dolloars.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by iandy (5/7/08 6:43 AM) reply + / -
It was the master reset i was afetr the *00 as my machine has no options button.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (5/9/08 5:43 PM) reply + / -
One more time:

The MFC 7420 has a toner life that is tracked by the electronics.

This toner life value is reset by a switch activated by a tab on the toner cartridge. Once the value is reset, (by putting in a new cartridge) you can then use your old cartridge. Strange huh...

Anyway, you can also reset this internal value by opening the front toner compartment door and then press the "OPTIONS" button that is found under the COPY section on the control panel. When you push the OPTIONS button the message on the display reads "Replace Drum?". DO NOT respond to this... but simply type in *00 on the telephone key pad. (If you replay to this post and state that you can not find the telephone key pad on the 7420 then, you need more help than what will ever be available on this forum.)

Best of luck.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by anaomous (5/22/08 9:55 PM) reply + / -
I found that when you open the front door and press options you need to clear the message of 1. yes and 2. no with the * key then put 00 and it is accepted. Then close the door and the end of life message will end

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by WGAFSTER (6/19/08 1:43 PM) reply + / -
THANKS SO MUCH THE *00 WORKED FOR ME BUT I HAVE A QUESTION.... IF I CONTINUE PRINTING AND THE TONER RUNS OUT AND IT REALLY DOES FULLY RUN OUT OF INK WILL THIS DAMAGE THE PRINTER????

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (6/26/08 11:37 AM) reply + / -
I wish i would have googled this prior to spending 45 mins on the phone with Brother, only to have them ship me a new machine because the guy didnt know how to reset it. THanks

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by aaronwalkerx (7/2/08 2:15 PM) reply + / -
I have a 8870dw and have tried tape over both windows. Otherwise, i don't have an "options" button. Can anyone help?

thanks
aaron

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by bill baldi (7/3/08 7:52 AM) reply + / -
I have the mfc-8460n. Brother wanted me to take the unit to a service center. After reading the posts, I tried this:

Open door
press Clear/Back key
press *00
press OK

Do not choose anything for drum replacement. when drum replacement menu comes up, just press the * and then 00, then just press OK.

Worked for me, hope it helps

I CAN'T BELIEVE BROTHER GETS AWAY WITH THIS. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER BROTHER PRODUCT. THEY HOLD YOU HOSTAGE IF YOU DO NOT BUY THEIR OVERPRICED REPLACEMENT TONER. LOOKS LIKE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT IN THE MAKING, (ANY ATTORNEY'S OUT THERE LISTENING?)

Re: Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (7/19/08 11:13 PM) reply + / -
i am feel very happy for your great advice

thank u

and once again thanks

sruesh

Re: Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (7/24/08 7:46 AM) reply + / -
Thx a lot. Great advice!!!
The second time is happend for me (mfc-8460n) and now it's very fine!

You have a couple of beers from me...

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (7/30/08 7:35 AM) reply + / -
Tape on both ends over the small glass "ports" works GREAT!! Now hopefully I can print till the ACTUAL end of the toner. With the work I do, printing doesn't always have to be crystal clear (even tho the prints STILL WERE when "toner empty" came up and wouldn't allow me to print anymore). Great advice - thanks!

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (9/11/08 2:42 AM) reply + / -
here is the ENGLISH instructions (thank you GOGGLE TRANSLATE) on how to add the FLAG GEAR to a Brother Starter Toner cartridge

http://209.85.171.104

just glad i can contribute to this forum
i wish there was a way to make some of the info here a STICKY

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Peter Rooney (9/11/08 5:27 AM) reply + / -
These are great tips about the 7420 toner life.
Now what about the drum? I get a message "Change Drum Soon", and sometimes it works to take out the drum/toner, shake them, punch the printer (just joking), and put back the drum/toner.
But what is the real answer? What is a drum, anyway? And why are drum and toner separate units in the Brothers?

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Aqua Marie (9/26/08 11:21 AM) reply + / -
I have successfully used the "block the window" with tape method, and the "Press Options *00 " method. Want to make your toner last and last? Contact TonerKing LLC, 1010 East Elizabeth Ave., Linden NJ 07036. Tel 908-587-1128 Fax 908-587-1138. I bought 2 toner bottles to refill my Oh Brother! MFC 7820. 2 Bottles cost about $20 including shipping, and each refill lasts about as long as 2 store bought high capacity cartridges, so in otherwords, $20 lasts as long as 4 single store bought cartridges! Be sure to vacuum out your old cartridge well and get out the old toner - was easy!

Bill

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (10/10/08 10:37 AM) reply + / -
The drum is a cynider that helps imprint the toner onto the paper. They seperated it for ease of replacing and to help keep cost down since it does not need to get replaced as often as the toner. In fact, the drum unit is also the dust bin. Where all the waste toner goes. The drum needs to be changed so the dust bin can be emptied and cleaned.

(Ive worked in the cartridge recycling business for a while )

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (11/6/08 10:00 AM) reply + / -
I have a brother DCP7020. To get rid of this message I just slid the blue plastic 'flag' by hand back to the other side. It seemed a little bit too simple, but it works.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by nos forever (11/12/08 10:36 AM) reply + / -
i just taped over the small windows AND did the toner count reset and it appears to be working. thank you all :)

Re: Re: brother mfc 8660 toner life end message by Anonymous (11/18/08 7:17 AM) reply + / -
I have an 8660DN and the tape solution worked perfectly. However, I did not put the tape on the cartridge, I placed it over the left hand sensor on the printer. Turn printer off, then on again. Fixed for good now.

When your cartridge starts showing signs of running out of toner, shake it along it's long axis. You will get at least another hundred or two pages out of it at good quality. At the same time, order a replacement cartridge so you can have uninterrupted printing without having to run to a local store and have to pay too much for a new cartridge.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by tundra (1/8/09 7:39 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the info... i've reset the printer after it advised that toner life was over, and I have been able to print over 1500 pages without replacing the first toner cartridge... I have a new one, but I keep resetting, and the thing keeps printing! I have to say that I would never purchase anything from Brother company again. I feel that this is dishonesty that they are just trying to make lots of money on their toner cartridges.

Re: brother mfc 7420 no cartridge error message by anonymous (1/12/09 8:26 PM) reply + / -
I put in a new cartridge...I have reinstalled it a million times trying to fix this and my printer still reads "no cartridge" HELP!

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by neatonick (1/27/09 2:44 PM) reply + / -
For the MFC 8660 i opened the front door, pressed clear/back button and pressed *99. If you have another model and it still doesn't work try pressing a combination of "*--" where the blanks are numbers.

Re: Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (2/11/09 12:03 AM) reply + / -
nu merge

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (2/17/09 11:27 AM) reply + / -
Put tape on a hole on the side of the cartridge= no help. Did the *00= no help. Turned a white screw looking thing on the left (it moved another arm forward)= no help. Put masking tape over the "lenses" on each side of the cartridge bay inside the printer, and used a Sharpee to black it out. Seems to be working now.

To me it should be my decision when to replace the toner (especially if it is printing perfectly!) not the machines, however my experience with other brands has not been any better- the benefits of Brother is that their accessories are everywhere and the TN-350 cartridge fits in a few different printer/fax models we have around the office.

That is my 2 cents.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (2/18/09 12:11 PM) reply + / -
Thank you to everyone that posted to this site. I finally got mine to work by pressing the clear/back button and pressing *00. WOO-HOO!

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (3/1/09 3:08 PM) reply + / -
Covering the sensor hole on the right side of the toner cartridge TN-580 for the Brother 8860 works to get rid of the "toner end life" message.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (3/25/09 9:26 AM) reply + / -
If you didn't expect an answer why post the question. You were no help to anyone so your typing was a BIG WASTE of TIME!!!!

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by A. Bell (4/9/09 12:25 PM) reply + / -
Brother mfc 8460N Toner End of Life. Was driving me nuts!!! For days!!! Finally dawned on me to do a google search. Beautiful advice and worked perfectly. The tape over the sensor hole that is.

Thank you to all for taking the time to share, very, very helpful:)

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Skudder (4/18/09 9:26 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the advice to cover the side hole; it works perfectly. My problem was that the printer was printing perfectly well when it started displaying the toner life end message. Now I will wait till the print starts fading before I get a new toner. Thanks again!

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (5/1/09 11:02 AM) reply + / -
Or you can cover the round glass sensor on each side of the cartridge w/ tape or paper.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Confidant (5/6/09 8:41 PM) reply + / -
I swear, i'll never use product of brother!

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by John Furber (5/11/09 11:52 AM) reply + / -
SUCCESS !!!
I have the Brother MFC-7820N
I tried the suggestions from this forum, and each one gave me a few more copies.
1. I put masking tape over the right cartridge window, and colored it black with a Sharpie.
2. I put masking tape over the left cartridge window, and colored it black with a Sharpie.
3. I pressed "Option" *00 on the front keypad.
4. I used a screwdriver to twist the white plastic screw on the left side of the cartridge 1/4 turn clockwise.

But after a few copies, then the "toner low" message would return, and then "Toner Life End", and the machine would demand a new cartridge.

Next, I bought a new cartridge, and I would swap the old and new cartridge, getting a few more copies from the old cartridge each time... But very tedious. Then this trick stopped working, too.

So finally, I got some black electrical tape and put a piece over the round hole in each side of the drum unit that lines up with the cartridge windows.
THIS WORKS !!!
So far I have gotten more than additional 100 copies from that old "starter cartridge" that had stopped several months ago with the "Toner life end" message.
It is still going strong, and not even a "Toner Low" message.

Now that this infuriating problem is solved, the machine is a delight to use.
Good luck to the rest of you.
-John

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by santdoc (5/19/09 7:42 AM) reply + / -
Thanks man...it saved me.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (5/29/09 11:18 AM) reply + / -
This worked for my 8660dn printer. Thank you!

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (6/5/09 10:00 PM) reply + / -
You are genius! save me money/time.
Thanks a lot!

Re: 8860DN by Anonymous (6/17/09 2:22 PM) reply + / -
Tape solution works for 8860DN

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by dochsieh (7/20/09 7:32 AM) reply + / -
I used this advice for my MFC8860 and it works. I opened the door, pressed the "clear" button since their is no option button, typed *00 and the MFC will now print. I am having this same issue with my HL 5250DN. However, I do not know what the equivalent "clear" or "option" button in this is. I have tried taping the window and it has not worked. I have not tried moving back the gear yet.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by dochsieh (7/21/09 6:51 AM) reply + / -
I tried the reset gear method. No luck.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by neondiary (7/28/09 11:03 AM) reply + / -
Instructions for 8660

1 Insert Replacement Unit Into Slot
2 With Cover OPEN press clear/back button
3 Press * when promted with replace drum message
4 Key in 00
5 Press OK

DONE: No more toner life end and red blinking light!

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by prowlerfish (8/10/09 12:22 PM) reply + / -
I didn't try the tape solution. For Brother MFC-9840CDW
* Open front door
* Press Clear/Back
* follow menu for resetting different cartridges (don't know what is diff for S- and H- options, so I reset both)

This has been so frustrating since I've owned this printer-horrible toner wastefulness. I like everything else, so I am thrilled to have this work around. It has been super frustrating trying to get Brother support to offer ANY help. So I say, who needs 'em??? Thanks so much for the info sharing on this site!!

Re: brother hl-6050d by BIPUL (8/11/09 11:25 PM) reply+1 + / -
sir
i have problem i had replace two new cartridge with this model but it is always showing "toner life endreplacethe toner cartridge"pls any one help me imdt .Plz..............

Re: Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (8/12/09 1:19 PM) reply+1 + / -
THIS PROCEDURE WORKS FINE FOR MFC-7340 ALSO, THANKS

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by negator (8/18/09 8:11 AM) reply + / -
"If printer displays "Toner Life End" after installing new cartridge, open front cover, press 'Option' button, then key *00 on the keypad. This resets the device so it knows it has had a new cartridge.

this will reset toner counter on a lot of brother printers good luck"

this worked for me. saved $$ and sanity.

thanks much!

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (8/20/09 1:40 PM) reply + / -
the black tapeworked for me also!!!!!!!!! Thanks a lot!!!

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by angela1969 (8/31/09 8:10 AM) reply + / -
or you can just physically move the reset gear back into the correct position (TN2000/ TN350)

See video below..

http://www.tonerangel.co.uk/video/tn2000.aspx

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 no cartridge error message by Anonymous (9/3/09 2:16 PM) reply + / -
I had your problem. Tried the tape, even on both sides and not worked. I've tried *00 as said and didn't work. After all this I answered yes to 'Replace Drum' and IT WORKS now.
Thanks to a lots of people in this forum.
Brother did not help me at all.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (9/28/09 4:22 PM) reply + / -
garcias yo ami brother mcf 7420
me marcaba como toner life end!!!!!
abri la puerta frontal y presione el boton opcions que esta en el menu de copy
luego aparece si deceo reset drum 1.- SI Y 2.- NO
ese mensage ignoralo hermano
oprime *00 y se reestablese todo
que te marca el 100% de toner y vida de cartucho
animo y mucha suerte
ami si me funciono

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by gianleandro (10/5/09 3:07 AM) reply + / -
Thanks a lot to all who had the idea with *00.

1. I opend the front cover
2. I press options and then *00
3. I close the front cover
4. The end of life message will end

And the copy function is now better: I had problem to copy with blue writings. One coundn't read the copy. After this reset also the copy of blue writing is much better.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by rtf4113 (10/6/09 12:09 PM) reply + / -
Re: resetting the 9840CDW, prowlerfish...THANK YOU so much for this!!! I am curious how you figured that out?

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (10/13/09 4:55 PM) reply + / -
Sue O you're not wrong, but I'm sure I can speak for several of us that the concept of "customer service" has long been dead in the Western Hemisphere, if not the world.

I've gone back to the retailer, and get back a "don't know". They must have enough business where they don't care much about keeping customers. So it goes.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (10/22/09 10:40 AM) reply + / -
used the tape on both of cartridge for 8660-DN and that worked.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by ucsl (10/24/09 7:56 AM) reply + / -
My brother mfc 7420 just started to cover A4 sheets in black toner instead of printing text, anyone know why this is happening? I recently gave the catridge a refill with toner and was printing fine for two months could this be the reason?

Please help I unemployed and need to get CV,s out quik.

Re: brother mfc 7030 toner/drum life ends by omargkdi (10/30/09 7:10 PM) reply + / -
Hi Everyone,
Just bought a Brother DCP 7030. Ive replaced the Toner with a TN 2150, and now its giving me a toner life ends when it's still half full. Worst, I get this Drum Life End Soon message, when I just installed the new drum (about $90!!!).

Any help would be appreciated on how I can bring back sanity to using this printer. I've about given up on this, since we also called brother company, and thet said "need to replace the PCB (printed circuit board), of all things - tantamounts to saying buy again another brother printer.

That's plain bullying of customers.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by jhanjon (11/10/09 2:30 PM) reply + / -
I found that if I did not respond to the replace drum prompt it then gave me a replace the drum soon message. I repeated the steps only this time only accepted the option 1 to replace drum and nothing else, and walla no more replace drum soon message.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (11/17/09 5:25 PM) reply + / -
Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by johnpb (5/28/07 3:28 PM) reply + / -
If printer displays "Toner Life End" after installing new cartridge, open front cover, press 'Option' button, then key *00 on the keypad. This resets the device so it knows it has had a new cartridge.

this will reset toner counter on a lot of brother printers good luck

Thank you Brother Johnpb.
It's well done.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by SJS (11/19/09 3:43 PM) reply + / -
I have an 8660DN, and I couldn't get any of the codes (*00, *99, etc.) to work, but the tape over the little window on the cartridge did the trick. Thanks to all for this valuable page of information!

Re: Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (11/30/09 2:31 PM) reply + / -
I am troubled to hear that something as basic as resetting the flag gear was ALLEDGEDLY not able to be done by one of Cartridge World's franchises as it is a basic, old and common task during the remanufacturing process on Brother toner cartridges. Additionally, Cartridge World has a 100% satisfaction gaurantee, so why your trying to solve the problem yourself is beyond me, as a replacment or full refund is exptremely easy to acquire...unless you were trying to get them to fix a cartridge you did yourself or purchased somewhere that a solution was NOT easy to come by.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by will scott (12/10/09 12:55 AM) reply + / -
On the left hand side of the toner cartridge is a small white lever, on a brand new unused toner this faces to the rear of the machine, once used it faces forward. This lever trips a reset switch inside the machine. Remove the screw on the cover over this lever, lift it out position it again facing the back of the machine, refit the cover and it will reset the toner count.
The toner sets a 2000 copy print cycle when the trip switch is reset, on the machine itself and will stop printing even if there is still toner left, I usually get between 85 and 110 extra pages printed before copy quality falls away. I have succesfully moved the lever to the rear using a small amount of force but have also broken the lever off on 1 occasion.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (12/10/09 7:14 PM) reply + / -
turn the printer off and re-insert the cartridge

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (12/22/09 9:49 AM) reply + / -
Thanks johnpb this fixed my problem. Hoping to save some money now by not buying toner cartridges far too early!! Happy Christmas everyone!

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by shocked (1/6/10 8:33 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Pavelious!!! Black paper sticky taped over the ends as worked for mfc-7340 after I tried the codes which didn't.

What an ridiculous and appalling mechanism. I would have thought that when copies start looking a bit light that would be a good enough indication. I'm sure plenty of $s were wated because of this.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by kuji (1/13/10 9:10 AM) reply + / -
So where exactly do I put the tape for the trick in the MFC-8860 ??

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (1/13/10 10:35 AM) reply + / -
MFC-7340 Instructions.

I was getting the Replace Drum Soon message
Here is what I did to solve the problem.

1. Remove printer drum/toner
2. Turn unit off
3. Turn back on without drum/toner in
4. Push the Clear/Back Key
5. It asks new drum?
6. Press 1. Yes

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message 9440CN by courta71 (1/26/10 10:08 AM) reply + / -
Ok-

I bought a brand new cartridge from Brother and it didn't work. So I don't want to hear people saying I'm on the cheap or working the system. Here is what I had to do:

1. Open the front cover.
2. Press the clear/back button
3. Options appeared: B:tnr-s This is black toner reset for
standard or 110 cartridges
4. Arrow up or down to find the correct cartridge and size s- standard or H-high yield (115)
b-Black
Y-Yellow
M-Magenta
C-Cyan

5. Select ok when you get the correct option. My was Cyan so c:tnr-s

6. Then press 1 to reset. Close cover and you are good to go.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (1/29/10 3:02 PM) reply + / -
What do you work for Brother? We would all love to use the manufacturer's parts except they charge you about 75% of the cost of the printer just to get a new drum/toner. I tried calling the company and the company website and they were equally useless. They basically admitted that they were committing antitrust violations by forcing you to buy their supplies.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by dycoy24 (2/6/10 2:30 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the sharing.its 100% working MFC-7340 Blocking the glass like window..

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Nik Magnus (2/18/10 7:23 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for this post.

I have a Brother MFC7440N printer with an "TONER END LIFE".
How to fix this?

1. open the front door where you access the toner.
2. press the Clear/Back button. You will be shown a dialogue "REPLACE DRUM? 1.Yes 2.No
3. DO not type in 1 or 2! instead, type in *00 on the keypad and you should be rewarded with "accepted"
4. Close the front door and hopefully the Toner end life message will disappear.

It worked for me after lots of searching and trying different things.
Nik

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by jason_m (2/25/10 10:37 AM) reply + / -
A genuine cart for the mfc-7420 was $50 shipped online. Look around online. You'll find better deals than Staples, office max, etc. as they have high prices you pay for the convenience and selection.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by NEONDIARY (3/12/10 11:52 AM) reply + / -
8660 Update:

Had toner life end message come a few thousand pages down the road.
Entered the *00 message, did not work as it did the fist time. entered *99, did not work. Taped both sensors on the side of the toner and that was succesful. Thanks again all for the great posts.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Elzbet (3/16/10 6:57 PM) reply + / -
Thanks it worked great. I thought I was loosing my mind. I refilled the cartridge and made 10 copies and it was dead again. Now I can make about 500 copies with a refill and replace the cartridge only when the copies start to get light.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Aye (3/22/10 2:55 AM) reply + / -
Thanks a lot.
It really helps me. :) jijijiji

Re: Re: brother mfc 7030 toner/drum life ends by Anonymous (4/7/10 11:43 PM) reply + / -
Hi, I had a similar situation with a DCP-7030, in which it was giving me a bogus 'empty toner cartridge' error and had shut down. FWIW, this is what worked:
(i) I covered the right hand window on the toner cartridge, using black electrical tape.
(ii) I turned the printer power switch off and restarted.
(iii) I restarted the computer.

I don't know if I had to do either of (ii) or (iii), but the printer's now working fine. Covering the cartridge window appears to be the answer for this error in the DCP-7030, as well as other Brother models.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread-- I've got it bookmarked.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (4/24/10 4:26 PM) reply + / -
I have MFC-8660DN and couldn't find the OPTION button, but putting a small piece of duct tape on the small round window on the right side of the cartridge did the trick for me. Looks like we cosumers are held hostage by the corporate bullies by these unethical business tactics.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by pcmendy (4/27/10 12:53 PM) reply + / -
yoog, thanks very much for your fix, it worked like a charm and I'm appreciative.

Its very annoying that the printer decides when the toner cartridge needs to be changed and I can't help but think that this is just a ploy to increase sales of cartridges. I got the "end of life"message while the printer seemed to be printing fine and it doesn't appear that the cartridge needs to be changed right now. To make the printer non-functional at this point is really customer unfriendly.

I'll keep using it with your fix and I bet I get a bunch more printing done before it starts to fade and really needs a cartridge.

Thanks again.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (4/30/10 3:48 PM) reply + / -
On my 7340, the steps I had to take were to:

1. open front cover where toner inserts
2. press the "clear/back" button. It will display "replace drum?". Do not respond to this.
3. press *00. A message "accepted" will be displayed.

All is good at that point. Hope this helps everyone!

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (5/5/10 9:58 PM) reply + / -
i tried all the above, the only succesful attempt was comparing an OEM cartridge with the generic and seeing the difference.

left hand side of replacement cartridge is a semi circular shape with a little tab that can be moved from front to back of the little semicirle slot - it needs to be facing the printer if you were putting the cartridge in.

I also covered the little glass holes inside the printer cartridge cavity - finally seems to have fixed the problem;

I think you just have to just put the tab so it is facing the printer. Good luck, and yes the brother website is no help, they dont even recognise the MFC 7420 as a current product.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by sware (5/7/10 11:08 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the tip, this worked great and was a easy fix.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Falconone (5/9/10 8:43 PM) reply + / -
I am using the MFC-7340.

Had a "Toner Life End" message despite having printed less than 500 pages with a new toner catridge.

I placed a piece of masking tape over the round hole at each side of the drum unit that lines up with the cartridge windows. It works! The "Toner Life End" message disappeared. The printout is so good that you can tell there is still a lot of toner left.

This shows that Brother's printer has a design flaw.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Anonymous (5/27/10 8:12 AM) reply + / -
not receiving and cannot send faxes
everything else is working just fine. Any advice?

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by josuerdgz (6/14/10 4:21 PM) reply + / -
Hello guys,

This was very helpful, I have a brother mfc-7440n and I tried the thing with the masking tape and also the "Clear/Back" key and *00, and I just got a few more copies but the message came back. I noticed this happened when I did it separately. So I used the combo but I used black electrical tape and the *00 option and is working like a charm. I already scheduled a visit with the brother technician and I was curious to find out if he knew what the problem was, he came here to check what the issue was, replaced the tonner with a spare one he had and same issue. He finally reset the entire device and it worked, so I guess restarting completely the printer is the same as just resetting the cartridge blocking the circle window and hitting *00.

Best regards from Mexico.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by permits (6/28/10 2:41 PM) reply + / -
Thanks alot!!

Message came out when I needed to finish a job.

Tapes a piece of paper over the window-like hole and it worked perfectly.

Saved me a lot of stress, $$ and a 30 min. trip to Office Depot.3

BROTHER MFC-8660DN by ANDEEE (7/2/10 2:07 PM) reply + / -
Don't bother with tape!
I wasted ages with it... just do this

THANK YOU TO POSTERS - AND BOO TO BROTHER!

Instructions for 8660

1 Insert Replacement Unit Into Slot
2 With Cover OPEN press clear/back button
3 Press * when promted with replace drum message
4 Key in 00
5 Press OK

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Mitsoi (7/25/10 6:05 PM) reply + / -
Same issue with an HL2170w / HL-2170w

Was actually a bit angered that it said "Toner end of life" when not 20 pages previously during a test page it said 30% remaining!

However it refused to print anymore since it hit that message!

I Covered the sensor (glass hole) with a notebook hole reinforcer & Scotch Tape (to further secure it/make sure nothing falls into the printer later).... Fix worked!

And I'm glad too, The warning was nice to do the old "Shake and redistribute toner" trick, and with the sensor covered it was back to printing like a new cartridge -- much darker then previous prints.

SOLUTION FOR BROTHER MFC 8670DN TONER LIFE END MES by koolxxx (7/25/10 6:07 PM) reply + / -
SOLUTION FOR BROTHER MFC 8670DN TONER LIFE END MESSAGE

Open door
press Clear/Back key
press *00
press OK

Do not choose anything for drum replacement. when drum replacement menu comes up, just press the * and then 00, then just press OK.

Worked for me, hope it helps

I CAN'T BELIEVE BROTHER GETS AWAY WITH THIS.

Re: Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by jareyes (7/28/10 2:00 PM) reply + / -
I have an MFC-7440N and this one worked for mine, thanks a bunch.
I'm really grateful.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by bina (8/11/10 10:01 PM) reply + / -
Thank you - you totally ROCK!
I have an HL-2140 and covered the 2 clear plastic holes with electric tape and now it prints.
What blows my mind is that I have already printed over 100 more pages and I am not even seeing any fading, so these thieves are forcing people to replace their cartridge when it is probably not even half empty!!!! I am contacting Best Buy where I bought it as well as Brother. I think you are totally right about not buying from scam artists like this, but is there really an alternative to buy, or is the alternative in forums like this where we share work-arounds? It is pretty sad how perverted making money has become, from a fair deal for everyone to people pretty much being robbed.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by inkstinx (8/12/10 2:31 AM) reply + / -
The Brother TN2000 toner cartridge is fantastic value when using the remanufactured version. Excellent copies and no quibble guarantee. The empty ones will even be sorted out. http://inkstinx.co.uk

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by early (8/31/10 7:26 AM) reply + / -
I followed the way that "bill baldi" did, and it works for me.

My printer model is MFC-7340,

I post the steps once more here for ease of reference.
Open door
press Clear/Back key
press *00
press OK

Thank you for the guys who post their solutions and references here.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Hulting (9/23/10 10:57 AM) reply + / -
This IS the solution; all others are "eye-wash!"

Re: brother mfc 7820 toner life end message by ECM (10/12/10 5:45 PM) reply + / -
I must be the only person that this did not work for. Tried tape on all sensors - sharpie markers black - reset with the *00 - tried the reset drum - nothing works. And I bought the toner from Staples so it should work - right? Ready to throw this printer out the window. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by rloma (10/23/10 7:35 AM) reply + / -
Replaced toner cartridge with off-brand, compatible cartridge. Could copy, but could not print from computer. No error or end-of-life message, printer just wasn't receiving message to print. After trying several common troubleshooting techniques without success, I tried the old "unplug the printer power cord and then plug it back in" it worked.

Re: brother mfc 7340 toner life end message by boxsterrp (12/12/10 8:23 AM) reply + / -
please help does anyone know how to reset this message thanks i have covered everything except me

Re: Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by nghiadl (12/14/10 6:26 PM) reply + / -
I have brother MFC 7440N , just replaced toner, machine keeps saying : toner life end message . After reading yours , I tried exactly what you said :

Open door
press Clear/Back key
Press *00
Press OK .

It worked,you saved me money, time , headache ...

Anyway, thanks everyone again and again.

Thanks for sharing .

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Paul-med (12/18/10 9:21 PM) reply + / -
For me it's about brother dcp-7030 and I found this: "I just had this problem and fixed it. The original toner cartridge that comes with the printer cannot be reset. You have to buy at least one new cartridge. The reason is that the original cartridge that comes with the printer doesn't have a reset flag. You can, however, refill/reset a cartridge that you buy separately. Pull out the drum and lift the cartridge out of the drum. Hold the handle and look on the left end. You should see a crescent shaped hole with a white flag/lever. To reset this, move the white flag all the way to the left (I had to use something to push it). Put it back into the printer and voila - it fixes itself. Then, after the printer has been reset, you can use the original cartridge again, if you want. The flag part won't matter once the printer has been reset. I hope this is clear. I know it worked for me, and I had the exact same problem."

I tried and it worked for me.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by dursunsir@gmail.com (1/4/11 9:34 AM) reply + / -
thank you very much

Re: Re: Re: Re: brother mfc toner life end message by nmtsaki (1/21/11 4:15 PM) reply + / -
I have the brother MFC-7440N model, When I open the cartridge door, it says close door. If I hit the clear/back button, it beeps and says: cover is open, close the door. If I hit the option key, it beeps and says: cover is open, close the door. If I close the door and try pressing the options button, the option menu comes up (quality, contrast, etc.). If I press the clear/back key, it beeps.

If we have the same model, why can't I do this reset thing?

any suggestions?

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by some guy (2/3/11 2:13 AM) reply + / -
Hello nmtsaki,
it's possible that Brother make a change in Firmware. Did you buy a new 7440N or make a firmware update?
What kind of firmware your printer have?
You can find it in the configurations menu 'Network Configuration' on main side. (my is 1.02 ?)

All people should note her printer firmware together with the post, so we can follow up the changing.
My be Brother are not 'At your/our side..' anymore, so they change to his pocket side!

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by some guy (2/3/11 2:17 AM) reply + / -
Hello nmtsaki,
it's possible that Brother make a change in Firmware. Did you buy a new 7440N or make a firmware update?
What kind of firmware your printer have?
You can find it in the configurations menu 'Network Configuration' on main side. (my is 1.02 ?)

All people should note her printer firmware together with the post, so we can follow up the changing.
My be Brother are not 'At your/our side..' anymore, so they change to his pocket side!

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by some guy (2/3/11 12:28 PM) reply + / -
Brother give the firmware some alphabetic letter!
The last one from now are release date 22/04/2010 have (P)
You found it on main side of your printer menue as 'MFC Firmware Version : P'
http://192.168.xxx.xxx (IP of your Printer)

Brother remove the firmware letter in the firmware history.
From the old releases, I don't know the version letters, because I buy it with (p). Mybe it's follow only alphabetic sort. 'abcdefghijklmnop'

How to verify your firmware version:
1. Press the "*" and "#" buttons simultaneously.
2. The firmware version is displayed on the on upper left corner of the LCD panel.
3. The letter showing in the first or second location from the left represents the firmware version of the unit.

You can install the firmware with the 'Firmware Update Tool'
The Tool have there own version no. like Update Tool EN have the History:
Version 4.1.1 installing -> release date 22/04/2010 (P)
Version 4.1.0
Version 3.0.0

however that be...

firmware history MFC-7440N:

Firmware updated: 22/04/2010 version P
The following improvements are included in this update:

* Improves the machines printing control when using paper that creates a lot of paper dust.

Firmware updated: 24/12/2009

* Corrects the issue that the machine could not register Group Dial under certain conditions.

Firmware updated: 15/06/2009

* Correction to solve the issue that occurs when running the PC-FAX Receicing software with certain timing problems.
* Corrects the display issue that occurs when pressing the One Touch key.
* Corrects the fax send/receive issue that occurs under certain conditions. (UK model only)
* Changes the print speed when the printer detects the use of the small size paper.

Firmware updated: 15/01/2009

* Corrects an LCD message issue. (Russian Models only)
* Corrects a user authentification issue when scanning the monochrome and color document to an FTP server (SCAN to FTP).
* Corrects a time zone setting issue in the Remote Setup program.

Firmware updated: 17/07/2008

* Correction of Firmware to reset LAN settings without affecting Fax to Server settings.

Re: brother mfc 7440 toner life end message by Paul Dueck (2/24/11 4:47 PM) reply + / -
The *00 works. However I had already reset the drum so I was concerned! I opened the lid again, pressed the clear back and the drum message came on again.

Thanks

Re: brother mfc 7440 toner life end message by toe_hold (2/28/11 5:15 PM) reply + / -
*00 worked for me.

Thanks all.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by ELKONDE (3/14/11 8:26 PM) reply + / -
whit a mfc-7340 cover the plastic transparent at both sides of the toner with a black tape work perfect thanks for your help zorry for my bad english

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by BrotherP (3/21/11 3:19 AM) reply + / -
Thanks a lot. the trick *00 worked for me.

I appreciate it.

Thanks
BrotherP

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by leocibean (3/28/11 3:13 AM) reply + / -
Hi,

I have a 7440N and i have tried everything.

1 - Masking tape (black) - does not work
2 - open front cover, option and then *00. It beeps no matter what i press and never accepts anything

Please help!!

Regards
Asad Ilyas

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Leocibean (3/30/11 10:55 PM) reply + / -
http://www.paylessnz.com/manual/BrotherTonerRefill.pdf

Top of page four there is an image of TN360/TN330 cartridge(for 7440N).

Remove three screws and get the lever back to where the picture is showing it should be. put the screws back and put it back in your printer. WALLAH! it will now work for 7440N.

masking tape, *00 option or replacing the cartridge with the new one and putting the old one back DOES NOT WORK FOR 7440N. even if they work they will bring back the message of TONER LIFE END within couple of printouts

Only by reseting the way it shows in the image (TOP OF PAGE 4) will work

regards

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by nmtsaki (3/31/11 4:42 PM) reply + / -
finally got it to work. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Re: brother mfc 7840 toner life end message by jlw (4/7/11 9:28 AM) reply + / -
I just installed a new cartridge and can't get rid of the toner life end message. Help

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Ahmed Mcse (4/11/11 1:07 AM) reply + / -
I find the finaly and the secret solution from Brother company you can find from the lift side in the cartridge the white stick you can round it to another side

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by marwerno (4/18/11 11:20 PM) reply + / -
What worked for me:
Have the toner out and the door open.
Switch the machine off and back on.
Put the toner back in and close the door.
Message gone :-) (MFC-8860DN)

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by kimba1887 (6/9/11 11:35 AM) reply + / -
I tried everything mentioned above, even new OEM's in process of elimination to fix issue, but no help to get rid of Toner Life End- replace toner cartridge and no printing/copying allowed.... HOWEVER, the following combo worked for me on our Brother MFC8460N ....

Open door
remove drum with cartridge unit
remove cartridge and put back in drum
Put drum/toner unit back in slot
Keep cover door open
press Clear/Back key
...Do NOT choose anything for drum replacement... when drum replacement menu comes up....
Just press the *00
then press OK.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by oks (6/30/11 2:19 PM) reply + / -
*00 solved my problem too. This is for Intellifax 2820.

brother 7340 error ,drum end soon by jyoti (7/26/11 1:12 AM) reply + / -
how can i solve taht drum end soon plz tell me?

Re: brother mfc 7340 blank when i print by eisen (9/28/11 6:30 AM) reply + / -
hey guys.... can u help me pls..
i have my brother mfc 7340 printer... when i used to print it is blank....
i tried to disconnect several times the drum unit with the toner then insert again but it's still the same output.... BLANK OUTPUT
PLS ANYONE HELP ME PLS....

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 no cartridge error message by nintendo1889 (10/11/11 4:30 PM) reply + / -
Here's the programming menu on these machines,

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by salam04 (10/22/11 5:16 PM) reply + / -
Entering *00 with door open did work for me.
Also i filled the cartridge with toner i bought on ebay for 12.25 for 2 bottles. Tested the print quality is Great. Thanks for the post here.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by raouf (11/1/11 3:26 AM) reply + / -
thanks i do this for mfc 7340 and so goood
1.open the front cover
2.prees clear/back
3.*00 fron keypad
its nice im very happy

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by dangelob (1/12/12 7:29 PM) reply + / -
I only use Brother manufactured cartridges and I still get this message even though the cartridge is not empty. When I shake the cartridge, the printer prints a few more pages and then the message appears again and the printer stops printing. This is apparently a flaw with the machine or the cartridge. It seems that covering the hole on the right side actually works. I never had this problem with HP and this will be my last Brother printer!

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Cordt (1/13/12 7:40 AM) reply + / -
All,

For me, I had the 7420 unit re-powered up

Open the front door
Press the "Clear/Back" key
The question asks for replacing drum 1/yes 2/no
Press 1
...... and wait about 40 seconds
Close the front door

DCP-7030 by patan (3/8/12 9:54 AM) reply + / -
The option of mask the right glass of the toner with tape works fine.

Brother sucks

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by crazyjava (3/21/12 10:21 PM) reply + / -
For my MFC 7440N, I tried all the methods. All failed except yoog's method of covering the hole. It worked! Thanks.

John
gadgets-n-gizmos.com

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by DougW (5/9/12 1:06 PM) reply + / -
I taped the gray lever on the inside left side of machine.. caused an error message -> then removed tape and released lever... this cleared all messages on the LCD and am now able to Print/scan/fax/copy; combining the posted methods worked wonders. however I am cover in toner

Re: brother mfc 7440N toner life end message by speshhpresh (10/23/12 5:23 PM) reply + / -
I reset my MFC-7440N brother printer by:
1) open front cover
2) press clear/back
3) press *
4) press 00
Printer will say 'Accepted"
Done!

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by pl4nkton (11/9/12 8:54 PM) reply + / -
thanks folks.... that is can fix my problem in mfc 7840n

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by GeorgeLass (11/22/12 5:02 PM) reply + / -
I reset a DCP 8065DN brother printer this way:

1) open front cover
2) press clear/back button
3) press *00
Finished!!!

BROTHER SUCKS!
That is all...

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by GreggVan (12/22/12 2:44 PM) reply + / -
BINGO !! I have a newer MFC and none of this worked -- but you all did give me the clue I needed.

1) Open the door to the printer cartridges

2) Press the CLEAR KEY

3) up will pop a menu that lets you clear the counters for the cartridges one at a time

-- you can clear for standard (STD) or high capacity (HC)
(the menu you will see is posted at the bottom of this message)

Works great now.

WAIT WAIT -- I just found two other posts around -- that indicate the BROTHER seems to keep changing STEP 2

If STEP 2 above doesn’t work try one of these

1- Turn on printer
2- Open front door to access toners
3- Hit the "Start" button for the Black and White copies on the right side of control panel
4- Quickly type in the number "10" on the numerical keypad (1 then 0, quickly in succession)
5- You will see a toner menu. Simply pick you color(s) and capacities and reset as needed.

HERE IS ANOTHER

Step 1.) Open front cover to expose printer cartridges and press #1 on the number keys.
Step 2.) Scroll down to find and select the appropriate toner cartridge to reset:

K.TNR-STD (Standard Capacity)
K.TNR-HC (High Capacity)
K.TNR-S.HC (Unknown)
C.TNR-STD (Standard Capacity)
C.TNR-HC (High Capacity)
C.TNR-S.HC (Unknown)
M.TNR-STD (Standard Capacity)
M.TNR-HC (High Capacity)
M.TNR-S.HC (Unknown)
Y.TNR-STD (Standard Capacity)
Y.TNR-HC (High Capacity)
Y.TNR-S.HC (Unknown)

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by VicMbl (2/20/13 4:44 PM) reply + / -
Johnpb, I owe you one! I just now signed up on this site simply to reply to you and thank you!

I've had the same problems as others with this "Toner Life End" message....and I've done everything possible to get my 7420 to print....to print ANYTHING!

Your *00 suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks so much for sharing.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by missrunahead (3/13/13 1:41 PM) reply + / -
SOLUTION!!! It WORKS!!!

After having replaced the toner cartridge (didn't I just do this a month ago?) with a new one and still getting the same "Replace toner cartridge" message, I used the advice in your thread of communication here for clearing the message. It worked! Important to note: Remove drum/toner cartridge. With a flashlight, looking inside the now empty printer chamber, locate the small, clear- windowed "holes" that everyone is referring to, which are found-NOT on the cartridge– but on the right and left inside of the chamber. I used a tiny tab of black electrical tape to cover each one. I then re-inserted the drum/toner cartridge. And with front cover still OPEN, it did NOT work for me to press "Options" as others suggest, BUT I clicked the "clear/back"button which is located on my printer panel next to the up/down arrow keys. Then override the "replace drum? question that appears by typing in * 00. Close the front cover and, voila, the message ""Replace toner cartridge" disappeared for the first time in months. So, I took out the brand new cartridge and returned the "old" cartridge and it still works great. I can now use my printer AND the old cartridge has plenty of ink still in it.

Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Leon D (4/6/13 9:57 AM) reply + / -
This procedure was ECXCELLENT!!! I tried several recommendations but this is THE ONE that solved my problem. Thank you very much for your advice.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by jodean (5/18/13 9:21 AM) reply + / -
on my 7630 i had to press clear then start, then 00 as well as put black tape on the drum windows

this didnt work till i turned off the unit and back on though

Re: Re: Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by abwmassage (6/26/13 3:48 PM) reply + / -
Thank you for this information. It clarified and resolved our issue.

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by fdsafdfsfsadf (10/19/13 12:36 PM) reply + / -
thanks its worked for me

Re: brother mfc 7420 toner life end message by Satish Annavarapu (10/29/13 5:03 PM) reply + / -
The trick worked for me!!!!

1) open front cover
2) press clear/back button
3) press *00
Finished!!!

It does resets the cartridge after refilling it. The brother printer really sucks.

Re: brother dcp 7055 toner ended message by BIKASH DEY (11/19/13 7:47 AM) reply + / -
I am working with Printer Brother DCP 7055 But suddenly the machine is restart & the toner ended massage displayed on display box.
please sent me a solution.

Re: brother mfc 8860dn toner life end message by mfc8860dn (3/1/14 3:10 PM) reply + / -
anyone know the fix for the mfc 8860 dn??? please??? Brother sites just maintain that you need their official cartridge....hmmmmm

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters